Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Reshuffle

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Reshuffle

Looks like the big political news of the day isn’t the Blues taking the lead with the gold standard of UK polling, but the reshuffle David Cameron is currently undertaking.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    In, Out, Shake It All About!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Please don't tell me Fox is back at Defence. I couldn't bear that.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

Presumably the title of your autobiographical sexual adventures ?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    The Bob Kerslake report is the most interesting news of the night.

Don't recall the last time a Cabinet Secretary was fired. And well buried under a cabinet reshuffle too.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Hague out? Even at GE2015? Wow.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    How many Etonians gone out of interest?
  • Options

I'd prefer he was Foreign Sec, personally, but it would be good to see him back.

• Options
    MikePMikeP Posts: 47
    Good riddance to the hapless Hague.

Hopefully Gove and IDS will stay firmly in place to help ensure these rotten Tories lose power next year.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Don't recall the last time a Cabinet Secretary was fired. And well buried under a cabinet reshuffle too.

AGREED!
  • Options
    So. How many women are there???
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Charles said:

A lot of the news management of this part of the reshuffle has been well handled - which is rare for the current Tory party.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Charles said:

Extraordinary story. Absolutely shocked to bits.
  • Options

I'd say unlikely. He might be the next Minister to declare war on badgers though.;)

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,896
    Charles said:

Seems slightly dodgy to time those together, giving future PMs the idea that changing of the political guard is the natural time to sweep out any civil servants, for whatever reason, as well.
  • Options
    Local news for pb-residents

Guido Fawkes‏@GuidoFawkes·4 mins
    Talk of Anna Soubry replacing Dominic Grieve - as well as doing telly she's a qualified barrister...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Presumably the title of your autobiographical sexual adventures ?

Have you got me mixed up with Sean T? :O

Anyway, are you disappointed we'll no longer be seeing your old mucker Ken Clarke in his glorious tights on State Opening Day?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeP said:

Hopefully Gove and IDS will stay firmly in place to help ensure these rotten Tories lose power next year.

Gently does it, trolling so noisily rarely works. You had a flash of adequacy on the previous thread but you've lost it again.
  • Options
    saddened said:

MikeP said:

Gently does it, trolling so noisily rarely works. You had a flash of adequacy on the previous thread but you've lost it again.
    Makes me long for the day of EiT's widget...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    Just updated the thread header with the front page of the Daily Mail
  • Options

Local news for pb-residents

Guido Fawkes‏@GuidoFawkes·4 mins
    Talk of Anna Soubry replacing Dominic Grieve - as well as doing telly she's a qualified barrister...

Please no! She would make the shadow AG look qualified for the job, and that really would be an achievement.
  • Options
    Badgers > Paterson

:-)
  • Options

It's a good general theme, which makes it easier to explain to the public at large, but as others have pointed out online tonight, calling Ken Clarke middle aged to illustrate the point is stretching it a bit.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So turning to Ed's shuffle - who of his "big" 3 is to be moved to get similar headlines?

Taxi for Balls or perhaps wee Dougie....
  • Options

Thanks, that really adds a lot.
  • Options
    It's been well known for many years that Hague's heart has not been in it, and I'm not talking about how things are going with Ffion.

Best to expect Cameron loyalists to get pushed heavily forward tomorrow - George needs to look isolated and sackable by May
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    For me the surprise is the Law Officers who struck me as one of the most competent and respected part of the government.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Another silly Daily Mail front page. Hague's leaving politics to spend more time with Brandjolina.

The only person that has "ousted" him is himself. Or maybe the delightful Ffion...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So the FCO will become Hammond's organ ?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Exploding manhole covers?

Or is that code for the new Tory females?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    For Tory candidates without seats yet, tonight is like Christmas over and over again. All the occupants of ultra safe seats announcing tonight they are standing down next year.

Also Guido rumour Anna Soubry to be Attorney General. Should help boost her majority in Broxtowe.
  • Options

saddened said:

MikeP said:

The widget works on Vanilla. I don't use the Ignore feature any more (that was only used on the previous incarnation of "tim") but I find the Favourite function as useful as ever.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    So - How much was everyone allowed on the 11/4 ?

£8.73 here
  • Options
    MikeP said:

Thanks, that really adds a lot.
    Expert opinion.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So - How much was everyone allowed on the 11/4 ?

£8.73 here

£6.06
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

saddened said:

MikeP said:

The widget works on Vanilla. I don't use the Ignore feature any more (that was only used on the previous incarnation of "tim") but I find the Favourite function as useful as ever.
    Oh right - not seen a link to it in a long time (and no idea whether it works on Chrome!)
  • Options
    Are we really sending Lansley to the EU? What on earth did they do to deserve that ? Are we not serious about even attempting to negotiate a basis on which to stay in ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Are we really sending Lansley to the EU? What on earth did they do to deserve that ? Are we not serious about even attempting to negotiate a basis on which to stay in ?

Reports on Twitter suggest that the new Commissioner will not be a sitting MP... make of that what you will.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Are we ?

I'd written off that bet...

Mr Kavanagh said so.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Reports on Twitter suggest that the new Commissioner will not be a sitting MP... make of that what you will.
    Lord Howard ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Revenge for all ganging up on us in Eurovision?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    DavidL said:

For me the surprise is the Law Officers who struck me as one of the most competent and respected part of the government.

Agreed that they were competent and respected. Not a surprise that we will now get political rather than legal appointees.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

New EU bod isn't an MP.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    At 74, I think it's being very generous to describe him as middle-aged.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Just stuck in Update I

There's also a number of other MPs alongside Hague who have announced this evening their intention to stand down as MPs at the next election, this would make the Tories chances in 2015 harder, as the incumbency bonus goes in these seats.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Lord Howard ?
    That would seem to be what is being hinted at (particularly with additional tweets suggesting it will be someone from the Lords)
  • Options
    Well he is no longer leader of the house and yet there has been no word on him being sacked.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

At 74, I think it's being very generous to describe him as middle-aged.

Its like "Middle class" tbh - in Daily Mail terms thats £100k a year.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    I see Kle4 (and apparently others) have beaten me to the observation.

Ah well. I've been out of politics for a bit, so a bit rusty.
  • Options

Just stuck in Update I

There's also a number of other MPs alongside Hague who are standing down as MPs at the next election, this would make the Tories chances in 2015 harder, as the incumbency bonus goes in these seats.

Richmond LD gain ?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    DavidL said:

Indeed.

Some talk of Grayling now having the upper hand and therefore a harder stance on the ECHR, but I don't think Cameron's going a stomach for it either.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    edited July 2014
    Does that mean that Anna Soubey gets her QC? As I thought it would be automatic for AG?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

GeoffM said:

saddened said:

MikeP said:

Oh right - not seen a link to it in a long time (and no idea whether it works on Chrome!)
    Yes, the sidebar link disappeared a while ago.

It does work on Chrome and can be found here.

Edit: Vanilla is adding "denied" to the front of the link and I can't edit it out. Just remove that.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Just stuck in Update I

There's also a number of other MPs alongside Hague who are standing down as MPs at the next election, this would make the Tories chances in 2015 harder, as the incumbency bonus goes in these seats.

Richmond LD gain ?
    Nearly was in 1989
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290

Just stuck in Update I

There's also a number of other MPs alongside Hague who have announced this evening their intention to stand down as MPs at the next election, this would make the Tories chances in 2015 harder, as the incumbency bonus goes in these seats.

But how many were 1st time winners in 2010?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Greg Barker also quitting parliament http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28303750
  • Options

Just stuck in Update I

Freshness bonus.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Just stuck in Update I

Have you looked at their seats? 5 figure majorities right, right and right.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

saddened said:

MikeP said:

Thanks - link doesn't seem to be working - but am sure I will find a way!
  • Options
    IDS to defence, Esther McVey to welfare?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

New EU bod isn't an MP.
    Martin Callanan?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    What happened to that big splash of IDS getting the heave ho? Still on, aborted mission, or nonsense from somebody wanting to be famous posting on social media?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    BBC on twitter saying Hammond will be FS.
  • Options
    Stephen Crabb to replace David Jones at Wales
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IDS to defence, Esther McVey to welfare?

All the talk is that IDS has won his battle to remain in post.
  • Options
    What is tim's latest pseudonym these days? He must be laughing all the way to the bank re: Hague's plight
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    TGOHF said:

Just stuck in Update I

Richmond LD gain ?
    Ooh, I wouldn't have thought so. Barring some extremely poor choice of candidate (a la Norman Lamont, Harrogate, 1997) this is safely Conservative. The centre parties came close in 1989, but this isn't really liberal territory, surely?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I'd love to have a debate with tim on the reshuffle, I guess if I just picked any half a dozen recent names with less than 20 comments .. then I probably would be..
  • Options
    Other than an understandable loss of confidence in his judgment does anyone know why Kerslake might have been sacked ?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2014
    Charles said:

Kerslake wasn't Cabinet Secretary though. He was Permanent Secretary at Local Government department, whatever they call it these days, and also, on the post GOD settlement, had the hat of Head of the Home Civil Service. Has he actually been fired and if so for failings under which hat?

Could it be that someone has woken up to the idea that a Permanent Secretary's job really does demand a person's full attention? Alternatively have the civil service woken up to the idea that if one Permanent Secretary's job could be made part time then so could they all and that would be the end of civilisation as we know it? If the Perm Sec could be part-time what need is there for the deputy secretaries, assistant secretaries, deputy assistant secretaries and so on to the seventh generation or at least the Higher Executive Officers.

There is a story to be told about Kerslake's exit but what it is we shall have to wait and see. Exciting, ain't it?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

saddened said:

MikeP said:

Right click and open as a new window. Then remove "denied" from the front of the link. Don't know why Vanilla adds that but its simple to get around.

Edit: use this link here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I can see Hammond almost anywhere. Not to say that it's an inspiring move.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Good question . Zero ?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    edited July 2014
    I think Cameron will go for someone in the HOL to be the new Attorney General. I think there has been some suggestion that having the AG in the HOC is probably the not the best place, as when difficult legal questions arise, the cabinet want the AG to be able to give their advice in private. Not sat on the same bench, where people can look at their body language or ask them to intervene to provide an explanation.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Some talk of Grayling now having the upper hand and therefore a harder stance on the ECHR, but I don't think Cameron's going a stomach for it either.
    Perhaps not, but he might have the stomach for more occasional hints of a harder stance.
  • Options

For Tory candidates without seats yet, tonight is like Christmas over and over again. All the occupants of ultra safe seats announcing tonight they are standing down next year.

Also Guido rumour Anna Soubry to be Attorney General. Should help boost her majority in Broxtowe.

Can I offer you a bet on that Easterross?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Good question . Zero ?
    Nick Hurd - for one
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Good to see Hague's political career ending. I suppose he'll join Blair on the stand-up comic circuit.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

saddened said:

MikeP said:

Right click and open as a new window. Then remove "denied" from the front of the link. Don't know why Vanilla adds that but its simple to get around.

Edit: use this link here.
    Thanks - will keep trying!

And got it to work!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Strengthens him against May.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Other than an understandable loss of confidence in his judgment does anyone know why Kerslake might have been sacked ?

He refused to follow the Tory line.
  • Options

Good to see Hague's political career ending. I suppose he'll join Blair on the stand-up comic circuit.

Very lucrative apparently.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    TSE - Cameron did not demote Hague as Foreign Secretary. William chose to step down.
  • Options
    What is the thinking in getting Fox back in? Seems a bloody odd move. I don't purport to be expert on internal Tory politics. Any of our blue friends on here shed any light?
  • Options
    oxfordsimon Though defence would be a promotion
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

surbiton said:

Good question . Zero ?
    Nick Hurd - for one
    Sir George Young to follow...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Strengthens him against May.
    y see that but then we're in bandit country, surely?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Alistair Burt ‏@AlistairBurtMP 1m
    I'm really worried that this reshuffle will leave the PM short of middle aged white men in Govt. I'm selflessly ready Dave!@AlistairBurtMP
  • Options
    perdix said:

TSE - Cameron did not demote Hague as Foreign Secretary. William chose to step down.

Yup, changed it to move.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Just stuck in Update I

Many retired in 1992 expecting to lose that year's election.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Hague has a wonderful sense of humour and a very sharp intelligence. You should view some of his speeches in the Commons. You are a pale shadow beside him.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Philip Hammond = Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    So Hague to stand down after a mere 26 years as an MP? Amateur.
  • Options
    Just checked and Greg Barker had already been reselected as candidate for Bexhill & Battle before today.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

What is the thinking in getting Fox back in? Seems a bloody odd move. I don't purport to be expert on internal Tory politics. Any of our blue friends on here shed any light?

With Alan Duncan gone, Fox will keep the balance !!!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 3m
    That's some badger like moving of the goalposts by Labour there: We don't care about women anymore, won't someone thing of the wets etc
  • Options

Sadly, no one in the States will understand what he was saying.

• Options

Seems an unpleasant sentiment.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.