Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : May 16th 2013

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    AveryLP said:

Is Charlie suffering from a virus?

He drank a bottle of virus before the programme.

Is Chris Bryant wearing his favourite underpants?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,299

AveryLP said:

Is Charlie suffering from a virus?

He drank a bottle of virus before the programme.

Is Chris Bryant wearing his favourite underpants?
    Chris always has the air of being St Tony's long lost baby brother!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

You recommended it to me divvie, and it's not what you see it's what the other see. Bizarrely for the first time ever one of my other scottish favourites George Laird seemed the only sensible one of the bunch.

I know it's impossible to take Ulster out of the boy, but you really will have to stop equating the kneecappings, maimings, murders and grave desecrations that have occurred in the place you come from with a few students calling a politician a bawbag in the place I come from. You seem almost disapponted that there hasn't been an authentic outrage.

Today we've seen Brown Shirt like street violence brought to beautiful Edinburgh. I urge you and your leader to condemn it before things get out of hand.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    *chortle*
    Iain ‏@Iain_33 4m

the reason why there is no EU referendum bill in the Coalition Agreement as the Tories didn't ask for one #bbcqt
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    tim said:

Some stories around tonight about an early break up of the coalition.

Might be for the best. Let's be honest they've not been any good and aren't going to achieve anything of note in the next couple of years.

And we all know Labour are going to get in, so we may as well try and get the untold misery that they'll cause out the way as soon as possible.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    tim said:

tim said:

CAMERON HASN'T GOT THE BALLS AND UKIP ARE TAKING THE TORY PENSIONER VOTE.

Thank you.

Don't tell OGH!!!

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 9m
    I've just put a bet on at Ladbrokes on 2013 general election at 16/1. Hard to see how the CON & LDs can divorce without early election.

If David Cameron wants an election when the Tories only have a 3% lead over Labour among pensioners then bring it on.
    PM Ed Miliband.

If his party gets even more unruly, Cameron may well snap and consider that fair punishment on the whole bunch of them, so best to lose it now rather than 2015 to save time.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Whenever I think about changing my mind about despising the human race I watch 5 minutes of the QT audience.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    @Sunil

I am gutted San Marino didn't qualify.

And yes, Romania was that bad...
    take a look
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJ_r5Pt8lI
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

Thank you.

Don't tell OGH!!!

I've just put a bet on at Ladbrokes on 2013 general election at 16/1. Hard to see how the CON & LDs can divorce without early election.

If David Cameron wants an election when the Tories only have a 3% lead over Labour among pensioners then bring it on.
    PM Ed Miliband.

It was only 3% yesterday, tim, and going down.

I have just popped into PB to check whether we have reached cross-over yet.
  • Options

tim said:

And we all know Labour are going to get in, so we may as well try and get the untold misery that they'll cause out the way as soon as possible.
    Proper cuts in public spending at last.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Dr. Spyn, funny enough, Conan Doyle, writing c.1900 was extremely explicit about medieval warfare, including knights being roasted in armour.

Nick P, history/fantasy writers have to careful not to become apologists for rape/torture/murder.

Charles, Anglicans are definitely Protestants. England's entire history, post 1560, is predicated on being a Protestant State.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Whenever I think about changing my mind about despising the human race I watch 5 minutes of the QT audience.

Question Time is like doing a jigsaw. A pointless way to pass the time until you die.

:)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    YouGov polling in the Times

David Cameron’s shift on Europe this week could backfire because voters believe he is acting through calculation rather than core belief, according to a poll. Only 17 per cent of voters think the Prime Minister feels strongly about his European strategy while 64 per cent think he is motivated by tactics.

Even Tory voters believe that, on the question of Europe, tactical considerations outweigh Mr Cameron’s convictions by a 45-44 split

....The poll for The Times shows that only Nigel Farage, the UKIP leader, is credited by voters, by 55-22, with acting on Europe through strong belief rather than calculation. A similar majority, 52-20, think Ed Miliband puts calculation ahead of conviction on Europe.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

@Sunil

I am gutted San Marino didn't qualify.

And yes, Romania was that bad...
    take a look

NO make it stop! OK, you are right about Romania! But I will still stay up late on Saturday to watch the final! I have watched every final over the previous twenty-plus years! The scoring at the end is the most entertaining section, of course!

• Options
    I'm back from watching This House.

I really did enjoy it, i'd recommend all PBers make the effort to go see it.

The bad language was shocking though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    MikeK said:

I suppose that had real harm been done to Farage, the lefty response would have been: well he had it coming.

Nope, don't generalise about lefties, we vary - see my comment on the last thread.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Nick P, history/fantasy writers have to careful not to become apologists for rape/torture/murder.

Yes indeed - a bit of deliberate values dissonance even from the 'good' guys can be hugely useful in establishing atmosphere and tone in a real or imagined world, but be too blunt or extreme, seeming to revel in it, and it becomes a bit too unpleasant.

I have a hard time caring about protagonists of some series' when they aim so hard for 'gritty, uncompromising realism/brutality' that they forget to make them have any redeeming qualities whatsoever, and all sides are indistinguishably unappealing, if for different reasons*

*any analagous reading of that sentence to our modern political party discourse is purely in the mind of the reader, honest.

• Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119

Proper cuts in public spending at last.

How good will it be if it's Labour who have to make the cuts in the end? All that endless flabby talk from Balls about too far too fast and then it's him who has to wield the axe.

Of course it will be spun as good honest prudent cuts as opposed to evil rich Tory toff cuts, which will be lapped up by all and sundry.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Evening all.

Looks like I might need to revise my opinion. It turns out these Nats aren't quite as stupid as they seemed to be when they fluffed trivially-obvious questions on the EU, currency and NATO.

Giving Nigel Farage superb free publicity like they did today is a masterstroke. I mean, it would be a bit obvious if they made a direct contribution to UKIP's campaign fund, but this was much more effective. And cheaper.

Canny, those Scots.
  • Options
    tim said:

kle4 said:

tim said:

tim said:

Thank you.

Don't tell OGH!!!

PM Ed Miliband.

If his party gets even more unruly, Cameron may well snap and consider that fair punishment on the whole bunch of them, so best to lose it now rather than 2015 to save time.
    Doubtful, Dave wanted to become PM so he could tweet about David Beckham, not for political reasons.
    He wont trade an extra year of charity wristbands for a principle.
    He'd be mad to anyway, women and over 65's are not going to put him back into Number Ten as things stand

Are you referring to your fabricated Tweet earlier?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

MikeK said:

I suppose that had real harm been done to Farage, the lefty response would have been: well he had it coming.

Nope, don't generalise about lefties, we vary - see my comment on the last thread.

I doubt any self-respecting " leftie " would identify with a Blairite careerist like you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It seems Labour won Melcombe Regis by 21 votes over Con

Pearson (Labour) 279; Manvell (Con) 258; Williamson (Ind) 204; Taylor (LibDem) 170; Orrell (Green) 143.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2013
    There is a very noble tradition of giving Nazi thug politicians (however they dress themselves up) a good kicking. Mosely is one Griffin is another and there have been plenty of others. I'm glad that the Scots are continuing the tradition and rather disappointed that the English have decided to take the ghastly Farage to their bosom.

But it's not the first time they've celebrated someone who echoes their dark sides and it won't be the last. I just hope this finally mobilizes decent English public opinion and people start calling a spade a spade
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    edited May 2013
    I am now sweating on Joe Root being the first player to score 1000 runs before the end of May since Graham Hick in 1988. 25 not out so far in the Test but will he have enough matches left? 671 so far with a possible 4 or 5 innings to go. It appears that his brother is 12th man for the test - has that ever happened before? The Holyoake brothers?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

Iain ‏@Iain_33 4m

the reason why there is no EU referendum bill in the Coalition Agreement as the Tories didn't ask for one #bbcqt
    The reason why there is no EU referendum bill in the Coalition Agreement is that the LibDums would not have agreed to it. Coalition, geddit?

• Options

Evening all.

Giving Nigel Farage superb free publicity like they did today is a masterstroke.

Kippers regard it as the icing on the fruitcake, Richard.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Pretty sure Anglicanism is Protestantism, sort of, technically, it's just sometimes bits of it is called Anglo-Catholicism, and because elements of it, often dominant, is about as Catholic seeming as you can get while not being technically Catholic.

The Three Kingdoms Wars had a major factor in it being because High Church Anglicanism that was rising in influence was seen by many as a bit too Catholic seeming.

Protestantism has a wide spectrum, and it has to be said some bits have more in common with Catholicism than each other. Anglicanism is clearly one of them. It's weird and complicated.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    "Kippers regard it as the icing on the fruitcake, Richard."

LOL!!!
  • Options
    tim said:

David Cameron’s shift on Europe this week could backfire because voters believe he is acting through calculation rather than core belief

David Cameron and core belief in a sentence, how did that happen?

Surely you find the idea Cameron's flailing was the result of logical calculation, however faulty, to be even more absurd?

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Where have these rumours about the coalition going pop come from?

The Liberals should just cut and run now - might get a tactical vote dividend.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sean_F said:

Dr. Spyn, funny enough, Conan Doyle, writing c.1900 was extremely explicit about medieval warfare, including knights being roasted in armour.

Charles, Anglicans are definitely Protestants. England's entire history, post 1560, is predicated on being a Protestant State.

But they also think of themselves as Catholics - don't you remember the creed ;-)

'we believe in on holy catholic and apostolic church' (nb: this is the episcopalian version of the Nicene creed sans filioque because I was too lazy to look for a proper version)
  • Options
    As I've been out for most of this afternoon and evening, and I has a slow internet connection, am I right in thinking, Nigel Farage was mobbed in Scotland because he's and his policies are so popular in Scotland?

Is he for Scotland leaving the Union or staying in it?

Will his endorsement swing it for either side?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Bobajob said:

They will,mainly from labour.

• Options
    Paywall

Senior Tories have begun to plan for the early break-up of the coalition amid fears that Nick Clegg will be unable to keep his party in government until 2015.

Some of David Cameron’s senior aides are talking through a range of scenarios, including the Lib Dems quitting up to a year before polling day.

One such contingency envisages Vince Cable taking over from Mr Clegg and using the opposition benches to reposition the Lib Dems as equidistant between the Tories and Labour.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

I think a lot of people had bets on it falling apart in 2013 (I would have gone for 2014 if it would not last the distance), and have been predicting that for 3 years, so with now both parties looking terrible, it seems a logical time to resurrect those predictions.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Indeed. I can't remember too many lefties cock-a-hoop over Brown's "British jobs for British workers" and some might remember the right to protest was 'rigorously observed' during Iraq by the Blair 'lefties'. As a certain Mr Wolfgang will testify after he was booted out of the labour conference for daring to heckle that nice Mr Straw.
  • Options

YouGov polling in the Times

David Cameron’s shift on Europe this week could backfire because voters believe he is acting through calculation rather than core belief, according to a poll. Only 17 per cent of voters think the Prime Minister feels strongly about his European strategy while 64 per cent think he is motivated by tactics.

Even Tory voters believe that, on the question of Europe, tactical considerations outweigh Mr Cameron’s convictions by a 45-44 split

....The poll for The Times shows that only Nigel Farage, the UKIP leader, is credited by voters, by 55-22, with acting on Europe through strong belief rather than calculation. A similar majority, 52-20, think Ed Miliband puts calculation ahead of conviction on Europe.

Heir to Blair? Tone is an arch-Europhile...
  • Options
    One source said that Mr Cameron had not himself taken part in any of the scenario planning, allowing the Prime Minister deniability and to exude confidence about the state of relations.
  • Options

As I've been out for most of this afternoon and evening, and I has a slow internet connection, am I right in thinking, Nigel Farage was mobbed in Scotland because he's and his policies are so popular in Scotland?

Is he for Scotland leaving the Union or staying in it?

Will his endorsement swing it for either side?

Silly man - everyone knows that no-one who is not Scottish is allowed to have an opinion on the matter anyway, as we cannot understand it.

Farage should do as I do, and stay out of it until it's time to express sadness at our Scottish friends breaking up with us.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Roger said:

There is a very noble tradition of giving Nazi thug politicians (however they dress themselves up) a good kicking. Mosely is one Griffin is another and there have been plenty of others. I'm glad that the Scots are continuing the tradition and rather disappointed that the English have decided to take the ghastly Farage to their bosom.

But it's not the first time they've celebrated someone who echoes their dark sides and it won't be the last. I just hope this finally mobilizes decent English public opinion and people start calling a spade a spade

I call you on Godwin's law Roger. Not surprising since you seem to be incapable of articulating any original thought in your postings.
  • Options
    tim said:

Rachel Rogers ‏@DorsetRachel 16m
    4 Melcombe Regis by-election result: PEARSON (Labour) 279; Manvell (Con) 258; Williamson (Ind) 204; Taylor (LibDem) 170; Orrell (Green) 143.

Melcombe Regis has to be an old Etonian Number Ten advisor doesn't he?

Brother of Bognor and sister of Lyme, tim.
  • Options
    Senior Tories have begun to plan for the early break-up of the coalition amid fears that Nick Clegg will be unable to keep his party in government until 2015.

If they fear it so much they should stop their party from doing everything it can to force it to happen.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

They will,mainly from labour.

Yes, and that's all they need to keep their seats up. If they convert Labour votes where Labour cannot win they are laughing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Roger said:

I call you on Godwin's law Roger. Not surprising since you seem to be incapable of articulating any original thought in your postings.
    At Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Tunneling Electron Microscope.

Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe.

If I were using that microscope right now on Roger, I still wouldn't be able to find an original thought in his head.
  • Options
    Huh, I missed this one from earlier

Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox has said the Conservatives "don't need to panic about UKIP" and should try to avoid "internal strife" on Europe.

He's got some nerve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22559041
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pretty sure Anglicanism is Protestantism, sort of, technically, it's just sometimes bits of it is called Anglo-Catholicism, and because elements of it, often dominant, is about as Catholic seeming as you can get while not being technically Catholic.

The Three Kingdoms Wars had a major factor in it being because High Church Anglicanism that was rising in influence was seen by many as a bit too Catholic seeming.

Protestantism has a wide spectrum, and it has to be said some bits have more in common with Catholicism than each other. Anglicanism is clearly one of them. It's weird and complicated.

Only on PB would I discover that Protestants are in fact Catholics!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Canny, those incompetent fops.
    Bloggers 4 UKIP ‏@bloggers4ukip 56m

Cameron fails to stop £6.2bn EU budget increase http://fb.me/2kiYlspGM
    Lucy Bell ‏@lucyjinglebell 27m

#bbcqt While I am no Cameron fan, if he is the barrier preventing a Tory-UKIP coalition, as Farage says, I'm all for him staying.
    MustBeRead ‏@MustBeRead

Cameron's coalition has been a historic disaster for the Conservative Party, says @iainmartin1: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100217196/camerons-coalition-has-been-a-historic-disaster-for-the-conservative-party/
    Tom Delargy ‏@derekrootboy 9m

I wonder if David Cameron will like Philip Hammond's contribution on gay marriage anymore than he does his crap on #EU referendum. #bbcqt
  • Options
    QT: Why don't religious people grasp that no-one is forcing their churches to marry same sex couples?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Have they asked Nick Clegg about all this?

Paywall

Some of David Cameron’s senior aides are talking through a range of scenarios, including the Lib Dems quitting up to a year before polling day.

One such contingency envisages Vince Cable taking over from Mr Clegg and using the opposition benches to reposition the Lib Dems as equidistant between the Tories and Labour.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2013
    @tim

I would like to see a Labour Govt last 5 years doing absolutely nothing that was a) outside the remit of their manifesto or b) change what they had originally put in their manifesto..
  • Options

Paywall

Paywall

Well some Lib Dems are,

this is the bit from the story that sticks out

"Senior Lib Dems said that Mr Clegg needed to act to prevent the Lib Dems “drifting into a four-party situation with us as the fourth party”.

One said that, in terms of the coalition’s future “the plates are shifting”."
  • Options

Probably not, because it sounds as though some journalist has got hold of one of the more excitable PB Nighthawks threads and taken it seriously.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Macavity! He'll be affecting a Scottish accent next. It cannot be long until he and Mrs Cameron are seen sharing a plate of stovies.

One source said that Mr Cameron had not himself taken part in any of the scenario planning, allowing the Prime Minister deniability and to exude confidence about the state of relations.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Could one of the Eurovision aficionados let me know which German channel Eurovision will be on? I'll be in Hungary, so I'll be blessed by watching it without Graham Norton's witterings.
  • Options
    tim said:

4 Melcombe Regis by-election result: PEARSON (Labour) 279; Manvell (Con) 258; Williamson (Ind) 204; Taylor (LibDem) 170; Orrell (Green) 143.

Not really tim, with labour having names like ­Tristram and Quentin in they ranks,he could easily be at home in the labour party ;-)

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    tim said:

See, there's Labour's southwest surge. Can't say IOS didn't warn you. (Cornwall, Devon, are they different places?)

• Options
    Bobajob said:

QT: Why don't religious people grasp that no-one is forcing their churches to marry same sex couples?

I don't get why people who are fanatical about marriage want to stop people, er, getting married.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

kle4 said:

Not all of them! And only a bit Catholicy. In some ways.

Any theological scholars around? I'm not sure I could bluff my way through an description of anabaptists, fifth monarchists, quakers, seekers, ranters, muggletonians, diggers (beloved of proto-communists) and the like - and most of those are just from the Civil War period! (give or take a few).
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Could one of the Eurovision aficionados let me know which German channel Eurovision will be on? I'll be in Hungary, so I'll be blessed by watching it without Graham Norton's witterings.

Das Erste channel.
  • Options
    ARD Das Erste.
    Hungary channel is MTV
    antifrank said:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    UKIP have gained the Rotherham by-election
  • Options
    Paywall

A begging letter admits that UKIP is short of money, policies and personnel — and puts off voters because they fear that an insurgent Nigel Farage will let Labour into power.

In a significant re-casting of its pitch to would-be supporters, the party is asking voters to “lend” their support for next year’s European elections but to give no further commitment.

Any donations will be spent solely on the 2014 campaign, an effort to calm fears among traditional Conservative voters that the main beneficiary should they defect to UKIP would be Ed Miliband. The letter from Stuart Wheeler, the party’s treasurer, which has been seen by The Times, was sent on Monday, and addressed to “Dear Fellow-Eurosceptic”.

“A lot of you hesitate to support UKIP, whether financially or otherwise, for fear that to do so might allow Labour in when the next general election comes,” Mr Wheeler wrote.

To combat such concerns, the party is setting up a special bank account, the “2014 Campaign Account”. UKIP is already expected to capitalise on public disenchantment with the three main parties by winning more seats in next year’s poll. Mr Wheeler said that UKIP’s recent political successes have “disappointingly, not yet resulted in a surge of donations”.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Bobajob said:

kle4 said:

Any theological scholars around? I'm not sure I could bluff my way through an description of anabaptists, fifth monarchists, quakers, seekers, ranters, muggletonians, diggers (beloved of proto-communists) and the like - and most of those are just from the Civil War period! (give or take a few).
    Ranters? Muggletonians? ???

• Options

@tim

I would like to see a Labour Govt last 5 years doing absolutely nothing that was a) outside the remit of their manifesto or b) change what they had originally put in their manifesto..

A fair comment. Could any government, of any stripe, manage such a thing?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,098
    kle4 said:

Silly man - everyone knows that no-one who is not Scottish is allowed to have an opinion on the matter anyway, as we cannot understand it.

I have no objection to the possession of opinions, it's the sense of entitlement (so often evinced on here) that they should be taken seriously that makes me reach for my metaphorical revolver.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @AndreaParma_82 You are an oracle.

EDIT @TSE apologies, I didn't see you'd got there first!
  • Options
    Hah, I win the Eurovision Afficiando prize.

I beat Andrea in replying to a Eurovision question.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    tim said:

perdix said:

Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

Iain ‏@Iain_33 4m

The reason why there is no EU referendum bill in the Coalition Agreement is that the LibDums would not have agreed to it. Coalition, geddit?

There was no NHS reorganisation in the coalition agreement either, what's your point?

My point was about the EU referendum bill.

• Options
    On the subject of the Nigel Farage incident, UKIP and the SNP peddle the same fantasy in different flavours to different people. No doubt the Scottish nationalists felt obliged to engage in territorial pissing.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

I don't get why people who are fanatical about marriage want to stop people, er, getting married.
    Part of me says let's have a gay marriage referendum. Sadly though it would highly divisive.

Although Yes would win easily.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Rawmarsh

UKIP 1143
    Labour 1039
    Conservative 107
    BNP 80
    TUSC 61
    LD 28

• Options

kle4 said:

I have no objection to the possession of opinions, it's the sense of entitlement (so often evinced on here) that they should be taken seriously that makes me reach for my metaphorical revolver.
    As someone who has worn an England shirt in an Edinburgh hotel bar after England have hammered the Scots in a Calcutta cup match, and had no trouble, what exactly has Farage done?
  • Options
    I think the choice of Labour candidate didn't help either. People are fed up with the "establishment"...putting up somebody married to the resigning councillor turned PCC, with the mother sitting on the council, with the grandmother as a former councillor and the great-greatfather too.....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Results link please

• Options

Rawmarsh

UKIP 1143
    Labour 1039
    Conservative 107
    BNP 80
    TUSC 61
    LD 28

Bloody hell.

• Options
    edited May 2013

Paywall

It's empty posturing because that's all they have left. Why else do you think we're seeing something as ludicrous and absurd as this?
    Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope

David Cameron will use a three line whip to force his MPs to back the James Wharton private members' bill on an EU referendum
    That's Cammie, the man who put a three line whip against his Eurosceptics for daring to suggest an EU referendum before, now putting a three line whip on them to support their 'nobody believes Cameron's pledges' private members bill on an EU referendum.

This kind of incredible incompetence is making John Major look like a political titan on Europe. ;)

• Options
    edited May 2013

kle4 said:

I think the views outside of Scotland deserve to be taken seriously by Scots when they make their decision, you are divorcing yourselves from us after all, the views of other parties may not sway the leaving party, but should be taken into account. I wouldn't expect it to be a primary factor by any means, but if, for example, 80% of England supported Scottish independence, or 80% did not support it, that would be relevant at least in contextualising the choice, surely?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Roger, do you fear that Nigel Farage is planning to put you in a concentration camp?
  • Options

I think the choice of Labour candidate didn't help either. People are fed up with the "establishment"...putting up somebody married to the resigning councillor turned PCC, with the mother sitting on the council, with the grandmother as a former councillor and the great-greatfather too.....

It fosters discontent, Andrea.
  • Options

Huzzah!
  • Options
    MSmithsonPB It's being reported that Ukip has won the Rawmarsh by-election in Rotherham taking the seat from LAB. No details yet.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger, do you fear that Nigel Farage is planning to put you in a concentration camp?

Roger's fear is that the Lothian and Borders Police will not be puting Nigel Farage in a concentration camp.

• Options
    MSmithsonPB Result from the Rotherham council by-election:- UKIP 1143 Labour 1039 Conservative 107 BNP 80 TUSC 61 LD 28

labour,be very afraid - lol
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

kle4 said:

Bobajob said:

kle4 said:

Ranters? Muggletonians? ???

Oh yes indeed. If memory serves the Muggletonians may have broken off from the Ranters movement. Sadly about all I can remember about them is their awesomely silly name, although it lasted a lot longer than the Ranters in the end, so I hope wikipedia is up to scratch on their 17th century religious sects, as I don't really want to dig through all my old textbooks to be reminded of the details.

• Options
    I suppose the Conservatives could do a deal with UKIP whereby UKIP get a free run in their strongholds in the northern urban areas.
  • Options
    The ward is in Wentworth and Dearne constituency.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Avery

Pleased to see you as I've been attempting to ask you a question for the last week.

Namely when can we expect to have a monthly trade surplus.

As this government is committed to ending the budget deficit and rebalancing the economy surely it wont go for a full five years without a single month of trade surplus ?

And after all the economic news keeps on getting 'better and better' doesn't it ;-)
  • Options

The ward is in Wentworth and Dearne constituency.

Bye-bye John Healey.
  • Options
    Somerset
    Con 1303 LD 1079 UKIP 702 Lab 195 Green 165

• Options

I suppose the Conservatives could do a deal with UKIP whereby UKIP get a free run in their strongholds in the northern urban areas.

Wouldn't that undermine UKIPs efforts to draw voters away from Labour, as despite their protests they would confirm their status as Tory-Hard (as opposed to LDs being Labour-lite) and so trigger the same Anyone but them reaction as the conservatives in the end?

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,098

As someone who has worn an England shirt in an Edinburgh hotel bar after England have hammered the Scots in a Calcutta cup match, and had no trouble, what exactly has Farage done?

His 'cheeky chappy on the crest of an electoral wave' schtick was never going to go down well here, even if his brand of politics had some resonance north of the border. As it is we've had our 'national' media telling us for the last couple of months that UKIP are the new force in UK politics and we'll have to get used to it. Scots are thrawn when we get bombarded with stuff like that.
  • Options
    Gove is an idiot. I am an out-and-out urbanite, but when I am lucky enough to visit the countryside I don't think "oh this bucolic green wilderness would be better if only there were more buildings on it".

The guy is a prat.

• Options
    Toby Young representing the headbanger wing of the tory EU split now banging on about Europe because as we all know banging on about Europe is a master strategy of unparallelled brilliance.
  • Options
    tim said:

MSmithsonPB Result from the Rotherham council by-election:- UKIP 1143 Labour 1039 Conservative 107 BNP 80 TUSC 61 LD 28

labour,be very afraid - lol

It will be a tragedy for Labour if UKIP poll today's levels nationally
    It would be a tragedy for labour if ukip start making inroads into labour strong holds,not tragedy - funny.

• Options

Somerset
    Con 1303 LD 1079 UKIP 702 Lab 195 Green 165

It really does look as if the Kipper threat is to Labour in the North, Andrea.

Poor tim.

• Options

His 'cheeky chappy on the crest of an electoral wave' schtick was never going to go down well here, even if his brand of politics had some resonance north of the border. As it is we've had our 'national' media telling us for the last couple of months that UKIP are the new force in UK politics and we'll have to get used to it. Scots are thrawn when we get bombarded with stuff like that.
    Thanks, makes sense.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

Has anyone got a copy of that fitalass/ScottP map of northern and Scottish urban gains?

Probably best not to put too much effort into Scotland quite yet - we can leave that until the end of Cameron's third term as a coalition PM, by which time the Scots will have had a chance to get to know and appreciate the merits of Secretary of State for Scotland Viscount Monckton.
  • Options
    samonipadsamonipad Posts: 182

careful. If you continue to generalise Scots in a monolithic way like that you will have @SouthamObserver pulling you up...

Oh no sorry you are left wing aren't you, he'll let it go
  • Options
    MSmithsonPB CON win the deferred Somerset County election in Coker. In 2009 this was LD so a CON gain. Ukip in 3rd place
This discussion has been closed.