Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB June poll average: LDs slump, CON flatlines, LAB edg

13»

Comments

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    ToryJim said:

Oh well, Brazil beat Colombia 2-1

Excellent, Neymar is a gorgeous specimen of humanity ;)
    Creepy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited July 2014
    'More than 10' politicians on list held by police investigating Westminster 'paedophile ring'
    Whistleblower who prompted Operation Fernbridge says up to 40 MPs and peers knew about or took part in child abuse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10947561/More-than-10-politicians-on-list-held-by-police-investigating-Westminster-paedophile-ring.html

Tick tick tick tick...
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Some talking head on Newsnight has got upset about these new carriers and is now calling for the abolition of the Eurofighter too, on the grounds that it is too "baroque" and "complex" and "breaks down all the time". And I can't work out if that is because they are a complete muppet or if it's because they are a global expert and professor at LSE.

I do hope she never hears about the JSF, I'm a bit worried she'd explode.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    FalseFlag said:

ToryJim said:

Creepy.
    Why?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

'More than 10' politicians on list held by police investigating Westminster 'paedophile ring'
    Whistleblower who prompted Operation Fernbridge says up to 40 MPs and peers knew about or took part in child abuse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10947561/More-than-10-politicians-on-list-held-by-police-investigating-Westminster-paedophile-ring.html

Tick tick tick tick...

Indeed

Could make for a very anti Westminster politician environment in the next ten months or so
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030

Some talking head on Newsnight has got upset about these new carriers and is now calling for the abolition of the Eurofighter too, on the grounds that it is too "baroque" and "complex" and "breaks down all the time". And I can't work out if that is because they are a complete muppet or if it's because they are a global expert and professor at LSE.

I do hope she never hears about the JSF, I'm a bit worried she'd explode.

Any word on if we are keeping both?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It can't be right that just one complaint that a sentence is unduly lenient is enough to trigger an automatic review.

It seems impractical, in the sense that there's always some member of the general public who will think that any sentence is too lenient. And unfair, in the sense that not all cases get the same publicity, and publicised cases might well be more likely to attract complaints. But I don't think setting a threshold like "ten complaints" works either. Or a hundred even. Remember that 30,000+ people wrote to the BBC to complain about Ross and Brand. (My local postmaster - perhaps this was just canny business on his part - actively advertised in-branch for people to write to the BBC to complain, with a poster showing the requisite address.)

The hurdle should clearly require only a single complaint, since it may be the victim alone who seeks to complain and most cases receive zero publicity. I am somewhat surprised that there is apparently no requirement that the complainant has some material connection with the case.
  • Options
    Looks like there was more than one dossier that 'went missing' ... This one regarding Lib Dem paedophile Cyril Smith

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9678697/Sir-Cyril-Smith-sex-abuse-dossier-seized-by-MI5.html
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,631
    edited July 2014

AndyJS said:

It can't be right that just one complaint that a sentence is unduly lenient is enough to trigger an automatic review.

It seems impractical, in the sense that there's always some member of the general public who will think that any sentence is too lenient.

"Can you tell what it is yet?"

:)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030
    ToryJim said:

Bah. You should feast your eyes on Ezequiel Lavezzi...!
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

Olivier Giroud
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:
    Well quite - though of course all new aircraft have teething issues - but that wasn't what I found so comic. She wasn't even calling for the government to pull out of the JSF... she was calling for it to scrap the Eurofighter.

I'd have been curious to see what her suggested alternative was. Since her complaint was that it was too complex and expensive and didn't work properly, presumably she'd be delighted if we reverted a generation, picked up some tried-and-tested bargain-basement second-hand F-16s.

I think in reality she just wanted the abolition of the RAF but didn't want to say so, because it would make her sound a bit barmy (or at least, beyond the current Overton Window). Whereas claiming that the Eurofighter should be scrapped because it is a "baroque technology" and represented poor value-for-money and has various engineering flaws, makes it sounds like a reasonable technical argument and she knows whereof she speaks. Might even sound convincing to those people who recall the money rows about the Eurofighter in the early 1990s, or who can remember its various teething difficulties, or who just don't like the word "Euro-anything" and miss the good old British planes that won us the Falklands.

I am not a military buff, nor a professor at LSE, but her proposal of scrapping the Eurofighter because it is too new and complicated gives rise to a feeling of comical light-headedness, a reaction to the inevitable thinning of the atmosphere as the heights of absurdity are fearlessly scaled. (The giveaway for me is that its famed development hell was in the 1990s, and the type has been in service for around a decade. Any reversion would presumably involve permanent retention of 1970s technology - only a good idea if one believed it would be glorious to fight outmatched against whichever even second-world country we next end up in a military entangelement with.) This far above sanity level, blood will surely boil away if in some visitation of the font of internet wisdom, the novelty and complexity and doesn't-yet-workedness of the JSF were revealed unto her.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

Not my type. My top World Cup footballers so far have been, Griezemann, Pogba, Neymann, Rodriguez and Campbell.
  • Options
    Cameron's called for an enquiry into the missing paedophile dossier

7 detectives assigned to the case

There were 200 into the phone hacking affair

I think thís is going to blow the Tory party apart

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681117/Cameron-orders-probe-happened-missing-dossier-alleged-paedophile-activity-Westminster-1980s.html
  • Options
    isam said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681117/Cameron-orders-probe-happened-missing-dossier-alleged-paedophile-activity-Westminster-1980s.html

I think most people can distinguish between the past and the present etc
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    isam said:

Don't be ridiculous. If the evidence leads to convictions, it will be supported, roundly.
    And it's not like it's 'the Tories' that have to worry about where this will lead
  • Options
    Re '7 detectives' against the sixteen billion that investigated Sienna Millers dinner plans being listened to.
    It's a police issue, and the police myst answer to it.
    You can't turn everything into a 'govt' issue, how ever much it might be expedient.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Less chance of being sorted if it gets too party political.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Absolutely.
    That won't stop the usual suspects, here and in the real world trying to capitalise on it though.
    Perhaps best they find out where it leads first.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    In happier news, the krauts are on target to meet every referees favourite hosts in the semi final.
    Result - comedy heaven
  • Options

MrJones said:

Absolutely.
    That won't stop the usual suspects, here and in the real world trying to capitalise on it though.
    Best if they do it despite where it leads.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Absolutely.
    Oh agreed, it must proceed regardless of where it leads.
    I'm talking about those on the outside looking in, as it were
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Guys, as made clear for obvious reasons down thread, PB Mods / Mike has asked for posters to be not be making claims in regards to this stuff that can't be backed up with a link from a major news outlet.

I think making claims of cover ups etc is way over the line.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    perdix said:

ToryJim said:

Intriguing piece on the Beeb about the possibles for EU Commissioner job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28158347

Interesting that Michael Howard didn't say, "Don't be ridiculous, I'm too old".
    I would be impressed if it was Michael Howard. We need to show Europe that we mean business. Sharp mind, no pushover.

Ticks all the boxes for anything except EUCO president:
    # Sceptically-minded voters will think what you just said.
    # Heavyweight politician with plenty of actual governing experience.
    # Dave owes him a favour.
    # Retired from domestic politics, so Juncker won't need to worry that he'a going to grandstand to the British papers instead of getting on with his job.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Guys, as made clear for obvious reasons down thread, PB Mods / Mike has asked for posters to be not be making claims in regards to this stuff that can't be backed up with a link from a major news outlet.

Remind me, which MPs were even charged for child sex offences between 1970 to 2010?

If you cannot name any (I certainly can't remember any), would you please tell me what's our MPs' secret to avoiding the affliction that affected the BBC, Prison Service, music schools, Catholic clergy, etc?

Or, of course, there's been a cover up.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Women's final, Wimbledon:

Kvitova 1.79
    Bouchard 2.24

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/tennis/market?id=1.110016499
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Fair comment, and I'm more than happy for anything I've said to be deleted if it crosses a boundary (which I don't think it does)
    To clarify, I am making no accusation against anyone, or any party about any activity historic or current, but I am pointing out that, far from a party political issue, this is likely to lead to a far wider investigation wherein all sorts may be uncovered.
    If anyone wants particular scandal, DYOR, there's plenty out there.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Absolutely.
    Oh agreed, it must proceed regardless of where it leads.
    I'm talking about those on the outside looking in, as it were
    yup
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Remind me, which MPs were even charged for child sex offences between 1970 to 2010?

If you cannot name any (I certainly can't remember any), would you please tell me what's our MPs' secret to avoiding the affliction that affected the BBC, Prison Service, music schools, Catholic clergy, etc?

Or, of course, there's been a cover up.
    What I might think about this is one thing, but what OGH has asked us to do is another. I think for the good of the site we should follow his requests and stick to media articles and not speculation.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    edited July 2014
    So, first up, is Peter Morrison.
    Mr Richard’s (sick) intervention follows claims last week by former Tory Minister Edwina Currie that Morrison had sex with 16-year-old boys when the age of consent was 21 and that he had been protected by a ‘culture of sniggering’. In her diaries, she called him ‘a noted pederast’, with a liking for young boys.
    dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224167/Former-Minister-says-Thatcher-aide-paedophile-preyed-boys-home--Hague-known.html
  • Options
    Cav now fav for stage 1 tomorrow.
    Has OGH said whereabouts he will be watching from tomorrow?
  • Options
    A force spokesman said: “Leicestershire Police can confirm that in March 2014 its officers carried out a search of part of the House of Lords in connection with an ongoing inquiry into non-recent child sexual abuse.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Police-search-Leicester-peer-Greville-Janner-s/story-21278472-detail/story.html#ixzz36YJH6iC2

This discussion has been closed.