Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the bias to LAB in the electoral system could be even m

13»

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    shurely they

Ruined his day.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited May 2013
    iainmartin1 Farage greeted by idiot demonstrators in Scotland. Worth 3 points on @UKIP poll rating on both sides of border. bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla…
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342
    Don't want to sound po-faced as most posts are treating the Farage incident as mildly amusing, but it's unacceptable that any legal party should be prevented from holding a meeting unless it's a deliberate provocation like Mosley's East End march. (Yeah, the BNP and people who want sharia law should be able to meet too.) Noisy counter-demos fine, but that's it. These things are defined by the controversial cases, not by the right of the Mothers' Union to meet in the church hall.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,122

iainmartin1 Farage greeted by idiot demonstrators in Scotland. Worth 3 points on @UKIP poll rating on both sides of border. bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla…

So they'll be on 3 points in Scotland now..
  • Options
    oflynnexpress Think the England independence referendum got legs today, so the political class will no doubt ensure that there never is one.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Nigel Farage bundled into police van after being barricaded inside pub where he was going to promote Scottish by-election candidate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325679/Nigel-Farage-bundled-police-van-barricaded-inside-pub-going-promote-Scottish-election-candidate.html

I never doubted his geography north of Watford was dodgy, but promoting an Aberdeen Donside candidate in an Edinburgh pub is a bit stupid.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

sam said:

Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 26m

Am okay after the Edinburgh fracas but if that is the face of Scottish Nationalism then it's pretty ugly.

He rued the day...
    I hope it wasn't that Kelly chap stirring them up. The Daily Mail says that the so called 'protesters' were calling out anti English slogans on the one hand and called Farage an evil nazi, on the other. Maybe these Scotts equate all the English as nazis.

• Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    SeanT said:

In his book 'Xanadu', William Dalrymple posits the theory that Turkish men are prone to homosexuality because Turkish women are so ugly

It's interesting that he'd never get away with saying that today.

I'm not sure he's right. However, it makes genetic sense that women from conservative Muslim countries are likely to become relatively less attractive over time, as uglier women have just as much chance of breeding, thanks to the veil/burqa/arranged marriages, etc

When I went to Istanbul I thought the young women were by far the most attractive I've ever seen anywhere. Not sure what happened to them after the age of 50 though.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

The masked just slipped to reveal the true ugly face of Scottish Nationalism. So much for free speech.

• Options
    Whats the betting,scottish people vote to stay in the union and if it was put to the English people,they would vote to get out.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    "Christianity declining 50% faster than thought"

"5.3 million fewer British-born people describing themselves as Christians, a decline of 15 per cent in just a decade"

"In another 20 years there are going to be more active Muslims than there are churchgoers"

Surely it's now time to do away with all the nonsense - Bishops in the House of Lords, Queen head of the Church of England etc etc.

Of course knowing Britain the old guard will cling on desperately for as long as possible until the bitter end.

But deep down, everyone now knows the game is up. In a way the Gay Marriage debate is a perfect example. The Church of England is against and yet people who pretend to be Christians actually don't care less and just ignore the church as they know that the change is inevitable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10062745/Christianity-declining-50pc-faster-than-thought-as-one-in-10-under-25s-is-a-Muslim.html
  • Options
    Paul shane as died,hi de hi fame.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The masked just slipped to reveal the true ugly face of Scottish Nationalism. So much for free speech.

Fancy a bet on UKIP retaining their deposit in the by-election Monica?
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    edited May 2013

Don't want to sound po-faced as most posts are treating the Farage incident as mildly amusing, but it's unacceptable that any legal party should be prevented from holding a meeting unless it's a deliberate provocation like Mosley's East End march. (Yeah, the BNP and people who want sharia law should be able to meet too.) Noisy counter-demos fine, but that's it. These things are defined by the controversial cases, not by the right of the Mothers' Union to meet in the church hall.

I agree, thank God he is unscathed, but I think the story of Farage locked in a Pub etc will play well with the present UKIP story, and few English voters will be put off by a load of Scots telling him "get back to your own country you racist"

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

At least UKIP may make the 2015 GE interesting.

Against Cameron (an empty suit), EdM, despite having a face for radio and a voice for silent films (sub-titles would be unintelligible), looked likely to win by default. But Farage could be the black swan.

I like election night. It's a bit like the Eurovision song contest; the contestants are awful, but the fun is in the voting patterns. A one-sided event is dull.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960
    Anyone fluent in Spanish?

Not sure if this was reported at the time but a very interesting interview that Cameron gave to the El Pais newspaper in Spain last month

http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2013/04/08/actualidad/1365419719_656809.html

It opens with this exchange:

Pregunta. En caso de una victoria del sí en el referéndum que tiene previsto organizar sobre la salida de la UE, ¿estaría dispuesto a retirarse de la Unión?

(In the case of a victory in the referendum for leaving the EU, would you be willing to withdraw from the Union?)

Respuesta. No me gustaría.

I am trying to work out what that means. The strict translation is 'No I would'. So is it supposed to be "No I would not" or "yes I would?"

Trying to work out if Cameron is saying it doesn't matter how we vote ina referendum he still wouldn't allow us to leave the EU?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317

sam said:

What would be the problem with an immigration policy that allowed freedom of movement between countries on a "swap" basis, ie one Bugarian immigrant for every Brit wanting to live in Bulgaria, one Brit pensioner allowed in Spain for every Spaniard that lives in Britain?

A couple of blokes I know work in Sofia for a betting firm, so theres 2 Bulgarians allowed in already!

What would be your attitude towards someone like my wife, who came to Britain from Turkey a little over ten years ago. She is a highly-educated, highly-paid engineer, who has been in continuous employment (bar the odd week or two) since she came over.

How many people would have to leave to allow someone like her in, especially from a (gasp!) Muslim, non-EU country?

It's a serious question. It's not just about numbers of people, but also skills.
    You could go down the Ali G route and only let in "fit" women!

:)
  • Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    tim said:

Socrates said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

How on Earth do you only get eleven years for rape and slavery?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22552912

Three years more than the average sentence for rape

Rape sentences now average eight years, Ministry of Justice figures show
    Rapists now face longer in jail than those convicted of manslaughter, according to 2010 criminal justice statistics

The 2010 criminal justice statistics show that the average sentence for rape of a woman was just over 97 months, two months higher than the 2009 figure and significantly higher than the 78 months – or six-and-a-half years – that was typical in 1996 when the Conservatives were last in power.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/may/26/rape-sentence-average-eight-years-justice-figures

It's both stunning that rape only gets eight years and that slavery only counts for three more than that. Crimes this violent should be getting decades. Sadly the establishment seems to think rehabilitation is so much more important than either punishment or deterrent.
    From what you posted he wasn't charged with slavery.
    Punishments are much tougher now than they were in the eighties and nineties and crime is falling and has been for years.Not sure how your deterrent argument fits in there.

Easy to keep the crime figures down when crimes that are widely abhorred get ignored for 5 years
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Please Moniker, remember scottish nationalism isn't anti english, the protestors were shouting get back to England because he's married to a german - or something.
  • Options

Not sure if this was reported at the time but a very interesting interview that Cameron gave to the El Pais newspaper in Spain last month

http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2013/04/08/actualidad/1365419719_656809.html

Pregunta. En caso de una victoria del sí en el referéndum que tiene previsto organizar sobre la salida de la UE, ¿estaría dispuesto a retirarse de la Unión?

(In the case of a victory in the referendum for leaving the EU, would you be willing to withdraw from the Union?)

I am trying to work out what that means. The strict translation is 'No I would'. So is it supposed to be "No I would not" or "yes I would?"

Trying to work out if Cameron is saying it doesn't matter how we vote ina referendum he still wouldn't allow us to leave the EU?

It means " I wouldn't like it ".

• Options
    MikeL said:

"5.3 million fewer British-born people describing themselves as Christians, a decline of 15 per cent in just a decade"

"In another 20 years there are going to be more active Muslims than there are churchgoers"

Surely it's now time to do away with all the nonsense - Bishops in the House of Lords, Queen head of the Church of England etc etc.

Of course knowing Britain the old guard will cling on desperately for as long as possible until the bitter end.

But deep down, everyone now knows the game is up. In a way the Gay Marriage debate is a perfect example. The Church of England is against and yet people who pretend to be Christians actually don't care less and just ignore the church as they know that the change is inevitable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10062745/Christianity-declining-50pc-faster-than-thought-as-one-in-10-under-25s-is-a-Muslim.html

Christianity is easily the least oppressive of the world's religions.

No Sharia
    No caste system
    No dress code (especially for women)
    No headgear
    No dietary rules
  • Options

Please Moniker, remember scottish nationalism isn't anti english, the protestors were shouting get back to England because he's married to a german - or something.
    Anti-English? I bet they used the English language to make their point!
  • Options
    It's not just the Tories who should be wary of UKIP says Mark Gettleson, Labour must watch its back too

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/78436/the_knowledge.html
  • Options

quick translation

No me gustaria = It wouldn't please me\ I wouldn't be happy.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960

It means " I wouldn't like it ".

Brilliant, thanks Moniker. So just his standard response then.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

"Go home ya huns" is a popular football chant used by football attendees north of the border - aimed at teams of a blue or maroon persuasion apparently for their support of the House of Windsor.

• Options
    Wait for it - ;-)

politicshomeuk .@MPritchardMP tells The House magazine David Cameron is "getting better" as Prime Minister. polho.me/13pDeQx
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    Just catching up with the Nigel Farage story.

Nice to see the Scottish Nationalists involved in a reasonable debate for once.
  • Options

The Scotsman blog meets Daily Telegraph

"it could all even be a big UKIP organized stunt to discredit Scots and the YES campaign"

who said it's just kippers who have flipped ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"Go home ya huns" is a popular football chant used by football attendees north of the border - aimed at teams of a blue or maroon persuasion apparently for their support of the House of Windsor.

Belfast slang sir H

Huns and Jaffas = prods
    Taigs and Micks = catholics

• Options

No Sharia
    No caste system
    No headgear
    No dietary rules

It depends on what you mean by Christianity. If you include Romanism within it, then your argument is open to doubt. Traditional Romanist Doctrine, as expressed by their official theologian Aquinas, calls for the execution of relapsed heretics, the criminalisation of suicide, and rampant discrimination against Jews and Saracens, among other authoritarian measures. Romanism is also a political ideology designed to enslave princes and peoples to the jurisdiction of the bishop of Rome, whom the papists claim possesses a plenitude of power without limit of weight, number or measure (Aegidius Romanus, James of Viterbo). Any prince who tries to give liberty to his subjects greater than that the limited amount conceded by the Romanists' system of superstition, idolatry and priestcraft, is liable to excommunication, whereupon even the most conservative of theologians (John of Paris) would hold that it was lawful for his subjects to murder him.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Any Brighton fans -

Gus poyet as been suspended by brighton and told to stay away from the ground.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 8m
    Brighton and Hove Albion suspend manager Gus Poyet and his assistant, pending an inquiry #bhafc
  • Options

"it could all even be a big UKIP organized stunt to discredit Scots and the YES campaign"

Has Salmond condemned the anti - UKIP street thugs yet ?

• Options

lifeinamarket etc,

You do realise that Thomas Aquinas died in 1275?

Sorry to break it to you, but the Inquisition also expired long ago, and Cardinal Fang no longer exists.
  • Options

Has Salmond condemned the anti - UKIP street thugs yet ?

Of course he hasn't, have any of the PB nats ?
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

MikeL said:

No Sharia
    No caste system
    No headgear
    No dietary rules
    AS RELIGIONS GO, it has a decent claim to be the "least oppressive" – but what about Buddism?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

lifeinamarket etc,

Sorry to break it to you, but the Inquisition also expired long ago, and Cardinal Fang no longer exists.

Aquinas was canonised by John XXII, and described by Benedict XV in the encyclical Fausto Appetente Die of 1921 as 'among the ... heralds and defenders of Christian wisdom ... in whom especially ... God "deigned to enlighten his Church."' Merely because the Church of Rome lacks the temporal power to launch an inquisition at the present time doesn't mean that it wouldn't if it got the chance.

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    So the extreme left wing group Radical Independence protest against perceived racism by displaying all the hate and intolerance that they accuse UKIP of...

Now Alanis, that's ironic.
  • Options

CD13 said:

lifeinamarket etc,

Aquinas was canonised by John XXII, and described by Benedict XV in the encyclical Fausto Appetente Die of 1921 as 'among the ... heralds and defenders of Christian wisdom ... in whom especially ... God "deigned to enlighten his Church."' Merely because the Church of Rome lacks the temporal power to launch an inquisition at the present time doesn't mean that it wouldn't if it got the chance.

How many adherents of the "Romanism" as you described earlier are there in the UK?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342
    CD13 said:

lifeinamarket etc,

Christians vary a bit today too, you know. I used to have an Open Brethren school in my constituency. They didn't vote, but took a keen interest in politics and asked to come on a visit to Parliament. I showed them round, and noticed that the modestly-dressed girls all deferred to the boys. When we sat down, I offered them tea and biscuits - they declined, explaining sharply that they did not eat in the presence of unbelievers. Um, I said, well, do you have any questions? Again, only the boys spoke...

But yes, the CoE is admirably relaxed. Unfortunately, that seems not to be what the market wants. Either peopole want fierce belief or they don't want to bother at all.

• Options

Just for you and Monica, PB's favourite lefty.

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84
    Re: Farage protest - "There was no violence, no punches thrown, no missiles lobbed."

Until any evidence of thuggishness, I'll leave the sanctimonious posturing to your good selves.

• Options

sam said:

What would be the problem with an immigration policy that allowed freedom of movement between countries on a "swap" basis, ie one Bugarian immigrant for every Brit wanting to live in Bulgaria, one Brit pensioner allowed in Spain for every Spaniard that lives in Britain?

A couple of blokes I know work in Sofia for a betting firm, so theres 2 Bulgarians allowed in already!

What would be your attitude towards someone like my wife, who came to Britain from Turkey a little over ten years ago. She is a highly-educated, highly-paid engineer, who has been in continuous employment (bar the odd week or two) since she came over.

How many people would have to leave to allow someone like her in, especially from a (gasp!) Muslim, non-EU country?

It's a serious question. It's not just about numbers of people, but also skills.

Easy to forget how brilliant he was before he became known and jumped the shark.

Remember the Rhodes Boyson one on imperial measurements in school (among other things)?

"Who ever bought a kilo of anything? – except for me mate Dave, and he's doing a four year stretch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7R7dDJmwPY

• Options

So the extreme left wing group Radical Independence protest against perceived racism by displaying all the hate and intolerance that they accuse UKIP of...

Book your tickets for Glasgow 2014 now !
  • Options

Lifeetc,

You're not David Icke are you?
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2013

How many adherents of the "Romanism" as you described earlier are there in the UK?

According to the BBC, there were circa five million papists in the United Kingdom in 2010.

• Options

CD13 said:

lifeinamarket etc,

Christians vary a bit today too, you know. I used to have an Open Brethren school in my constituency. They didn't vote, but took a keen interest in politics and asked to come on a visit to Parliament. I showed them round, and noticed that the modestly-dressed girls all deferred to the boys. When we sat down, I offered them tea and biscuits - they declined, explaining sharply that they did not eat in the presence of unbelievers. Um, I said, well, do you have any questions? Again, only the boys spoke...

But yes, the CoE is admirably relaxed. Unfortunately, that seems not to be what the market wants. Either peopole want fierce belief or they don't want to bother at all.

I had to look up Open Brethren Nick, having never heard of them. I discovered that they are but one branch of the Plymouth Brethren, the other being the Exclusive Brethren. The latter, says my source, have "cultic" overtones.

• Options
    edited May 2013

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84
    Re: Farage protest - "There was no violence, no punches thrown, no missiles lobbed."

Until any evidence of thuggishness, I'll leave the sanctimonious posturing to your good selves.

" Go home " was the catch-phrase of the NF in the 1970's , it's distressing to hear it taken up by Scottish Nationalists decades later.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

sam said:

Easy to forget how brilliant he was before he became known and jumped the shark.

Remember the Rhodes Boyson one on imperial measurements in school (among other things)?

"Who ever bought a kilo of anything? – except for me mate Dave, and he's doing a four year stretch"

Tony Benn was a classic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Khj7ZHMSo

• Options

According to the BBC, there were circa five million papists in the United Kingdom in 2010.

By Romanist do you simply mean catholic?
  • Options

I asked how many adhere to the tenets you described earlier?
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

What larks we can expect at the festival of sport and colonialism that is the Commonwealth Games?
  • Options

What larks we can expect at the festival of sport and colonialism that is the Commonwealth Games?
    I don't know I'll have to ask my bodyguard.
  • Options
    New thread - Local by-election round-up.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Salmond has said something about tagging criminals but so far nothing about a fracas with Farage.

Silence of The Nats.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

By Romanist do you simply mean catholic?

The Church of England is a Catholic Church. Adherents to the Church of Rome are Romanists.

• Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    Bobajob said:

sam said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7R7dDJmwPY

I agree

Went to watch The Dictator with my then girlfiriend, and the fact she found it funny was one of the first steps on the road to being single again

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84

That must be why he left in a Police van.

I'm in two minds about Indpendence now. Hope the majority vote 'Yes' so we can be rid of the whiners once and for all, or the 'No' wins and we get to enjoy the continued whinging of the losing Nats.

Tricky one.
  • Options

Life,

The last time I spoke to my parish priest, he was pretty relaxed about women being priests and having married priests, but there will be a few who tend more to fundamentalism. With over a billion "papists" to choose from, you bound to find some odd views.

I expect Chris Patten is at this very moment plotting to overthrow the monarchy to bring back Cardinal Fang and the comfy chair.

The 'sects' are certainly odd but they tend to be "Proddy."

Anyway, Pax Vobiscum.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

sam said:

Tony Benn was a classic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Khj7ZHMSo

"Is it called welfare because it's well fair?"

• Options

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84

That must be why he left in a Police van.

I'm in two minds about Indpendence now. Hope the majority vote 'Yes' so we can be rid of the whiners once and for all, or the 'No' wins and we get to enjoy the continued whinging of the losing Nats.

Tricky one.
    i can't see the whinging stopping with Indy, if anything it will increase see Ireland 1922-2000
This discussion has been closed.