Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the Quebec referendum of 1995 OUI had a 6% lead on polli

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the Quebec referendum of 1995 OUI had a 6% lead on polling day

As has been said repeatedly there is no previous UK polling experience to be able to judge the Scottish IndyRef. We do have as a reference point Quebec in September 1995 when the polls moved from NON to OUI in the final weeks and finished with margins of up to 6% for OUI.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First .... again!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Second.

THE DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK SIR.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Smithson teases a possible yes
    But at best it's a bit of a guess
    We need some fresh polls
    With accurate tolls
    So our losses are considerably less.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

Smithson teases a possible yes
    But at best it's a bit of a guess
    We need some fresh polls
    With accurate tolls
    So our losses are considerably less.

The polls are no guide to this as said, it is no normal vote and weighting on party lines or past elections is rubbish.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    Have we not got enough inaccurate polls of our own without any of this foreign muck?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone (again).

Hard to try and say whether the Quebec referendum will prove a useful guide. Canada isn't the UK, and Scotland isn't Quebec.
  • Options
    It looks very much as if it will be NO by a comfortable margin.

Salmond has simply failed to answer some of the key concerns raised around currency, EU membership, defence, financial services industry, debt, etc and has also tried to drive the indy debate with policy agenda items such as free this or that rather than constitutional arguments.

And when it's NO the debate will be over for a generation (or at least the chance to vote on it) and we'll move on. Devomax will kick in as the debate issue and parties offering more will benefit. The WLQ / English question will also heat up and parties offering EV4EL will benefit.
  • Options
    Sort of from the previous thread:

Millsy pointed out only 51% of Labour supporters think Ed Miliband would be the best PM. I think even more significant going forward is that 8% of Labour supporters say DC and a staggering 38% "don't know". If that is not evidence of soft support I don't know what is.

The 2% who said Nick Clegg clearly need medical help.

In contrast 92% of tories think DC and only 6% don't know. I have reservations about all these personal attacks on Ed but they do seem to be having an effect.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/r635j2ebte/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-020714.pdf
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    The case of Quebec
    Must give pause to Eck
    Misreading a poll
    Could put him on the dole
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016

Good morning, everyone (again).

Hard to try and say whether the Quebec referendum will prove a useful guide. Canada isn't the UK, and Scotland isn't Quebec.

Quite. Does anyone know offhand what percentage of PQ members of the provincial assembly etc. are Anglophone (in general sense - obviously they'd have to know French)? It'd be an interesting comparator with the known percentages of English-born in the SNP membership, MSPs and government, which IIRC aren't far off the proportion in the resident population.

• Options
    Mr. L, depends whether 'don't know' ends up translating as people not turning out for Miliband or just voting Labour anyway, because they like the party even if they're unsure about the leader.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT Re: YouGov

Since EU14, and especially over the last seven polls, the LD 2010 split whilst still being in favour of Labour (about 33 LAB to 29.3 to LD), the LD split to Cons has increased from about 13 to 16. Will this trend continue?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    In Quebec in 1995 the polls were actually pretty split between No and Yes leads for the last 2 months of the campaign. The final poll you are talking about had a 6% Yes Lead with Yes on 47% and No on 41% but a large block, 12% of undecideds, who overwhelmingly went to No to give it a narrow win. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_referendum,_1995
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Mr. L, depends whether 'don't know' ends up translating as people not turning out for Miliband or just voting Labour anyway, because they like the party even if they're unsure about the leader.

Surely there has to be a good chance of a bit of both with Labour consequentially underperforming their polling?

Edit. 38% of Labour's current support of 37% is a full 14 percentage points. If only half of those don't bother to vote Labour they are in serious trouble.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    An excitingly close result!
  • Options
    Mr. L, could happen. The impact also depends on another difficult-to-guess electoral factor, namely where, and in what numbers, UKIP voters will be.

Not easy to call the next election. And first we need to get playing Dragon Age: Inquisition the Scottish referendum out of the way. Obviously a surprise Yes would have a rather dramatic impact.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Mike.

There was of course the earlier and first Quebec referendum of 1980. Early polls indicated a close contest but gaffes by the YES campaign attacking women supporting NO lead to a comfortable 59.5%/40.5% win for NO on a 85% turnout.

The following HoC research paper on both the 80 and 95 campaigns is a useful resource :

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/briefing-papers/RP13-47/the-quebec-referendums
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited July 2014
    It's great to enjoy another English victory over the French.

The most interesting thing about this was given how close the result was, that we've not had further plebiscites and that the Quebecian Independence movement has gone backwards.

Iff, Scotland votes no, will we see the same?
  • Options
    In the other 1980 referendum Yes started with a lead, but a series of Yes gaffes and a Unity rally produced a more comfortable 60-40 No
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_referendum,_1980
  • Options

The most interesting thing about this was given how close the result, that we've not had further plebiscites and that the Quebecian Independence movement has gone backwards.

Iff, Scotland votes no, will we see the same.

I would say probably. Even Scots are getting bored with this navel gazing and wish it was over.

The only question mark would be if there was any general dissatisfaction on any DevoMax settlement.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it could be different in Scotland:

1) SNP's raison d'etre is to separate. If they win another majority in Holyrood (whilst tedious) they could make a legitimate case for another vote.
    2) English devolution. Some want to carve up this fine and noble land into shitty regional assemblies, others want the equal of Scotland (a Parliament). Either way changes the constitutional settlement and could lead to further tensions.
    3) Direction of travel. All parties seem to want to devolve more power to Scotland. If you keep wandering towards a cliff edge then sooner or later you'll fall off, even if you only take one step a day.
  • Options
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    To me, the most interesting section was how broad a church the Labour party is (it's also true of the Conservatives, naturally). That chimes with the Martin Kettle's column in the Guardian yesterday:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/02/three-dimensional-politics-left-right-axis

It takes a very big tent to accommodate such a disparate bunch. I wonder whether the traditional monolithic parties are going to be able to hold together in the medium term.

On topic: please god no not another independence thread make it stop *whimper*
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited July 2014
    Nick Palmer (8.42am)

So here's a question for our Tory Peebie friends. Imagine that after the next election there's a Tory government. Which Party would you like to provide the official opposition?

(a) Labour - we can usually beat them

(b) UKIP - my heart's there already

(c) no opposition at all - my name is John Loony

• Options
    DavidL said:

The most interesting thing about this was given how close the result, that we've not had further plebiscites and that the Quebecian Independence movement has gone backwards.

I would say probably. Even Scots are getting bored with this navel gazing and wish it was over.

The only question mark would be if there was any general dissatisfaction on any DevoMax settlement.
    The other interesting, point was, after the shameful 1979 referendum, in the subsequent General Election, the SNP lost 9 out of their 11 seats.

Wonder if we'll see something similar in 2015.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Mr. M, don't worry, practice for Silverstone starts tomorrow, then we have qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday. Huzzah!

Edited extra bit: Mr. Eagles, to whom would they lose them? Blues remain 'toxic', Lib Dems are contaminated by association and Miliband isn't exactly popular either. The SNP may lose a seat or two but I don't think they'll collapse.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

David, Only the NO side are getting bored, due to it not going their way. YES side are fully energised and it will not go away regardless.
  • Options

Nick Palmer (8.42am)

So here's a question for our Tory Peebie friends. Imagine that after the next election there's a Tory government. Which Party would you like to provide the official opposition?

(a) Labour - we can usually beat them

(b) UKIP - my heart's there already

(c) no opposition at all - my name is John Loony

d) The Lib Dems.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The Quebec PM Parizrau, must have felt gutted that day - what’s French for "We're Alright" ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @politicshome: Shad Business Sec .@ChukaUmunna plays down suggestions of a rift within Labour: "The most united Labour party in a generation" #r4today

I think he means the most UNITE Labour Party in a generation
  • Options
    Morris Dancer Exactly the same applies in Quebec, there were promises of more powers for Quebec from the No side and the likes of Chretian and Martin and PQ is basically their equivalent of the SNP. Canada already has a federal structure
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Mr. M, don't worry, practice for Silverstone starts tomorrow, then we have qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday. Huzzah!

Edited extra bit: Mr. Eagles, to whom would they lose them? Blues remain 'toxic', Lib Dems are contaminated by association and Miliband isn't exactly popular either. The SNP may lose a seat or two but I don't think they'll collapse.

In the six Westminster seats the SNP hold, the Conservatives are in second place in 4 of them, and in the other 2, Labour are second.

So if the SNP do suffer some referendum blues, the Tories would be the biggest beneficiaries.

And across Scotland in 2010, the Toxic Blues polled only 3.2% behind the SNP.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Mr. Eagles, it could be different in Scotland:

1) SNP's raison d'etre is to separate. If they win another majority in Holyrood (whilst tedious) they could make a legitimate case for another vote.
    2) English devolution. Some want to carve up this fine and noble land into shitty regional assemblies, others want the equal of Scotland (a Parliament). Either way changes the constitutional settlement and could lead to further tensions.
    3) Direction of travel. All parties seem to want to devolve more power to Scotland. If you keep wandering towards a cliff edge then sooner or later you'll fall off, even if you only take one step a day.

Why are regional assemblies shitty? (I agree that non-elected ones are.) Aren't elected mayors just as defecatory? I'm assuming that, in each case, their creation is preceded by a positive vote in a referendum in the relevant area.

Local authorities do a lot less than they did 50 or even 30 years ago, is it not time for a new round of reform of local government with a view to cutting the number of councils by two-thirds or even more? Oh silly me, councillors supply a pool of activists to knock on doors and provide future MPs, and the rest of us have to pay for the needs of the Parties, don't we?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    DavidL said:

Sort of from the previous thread:

Millsy pointed out only 51% of Labour supporters think Ed Miliband would be the best PM. I think even more significant going forward is that 8% of Labour supporters say DC and a staggering 38% "don't know". If that is not evidence of soft support I don't know what is.

The 2% who said Nick Clegg clearly need medical help.

In contrast 92% of tories think DC and only 6% don't know. I have reservations about all these personal attacks on Ed but they do seem to be having an effect.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/r635j2ebte/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-020714.pdf

Don't worry, Ed has a plan: he will bang on about the NHS all summer. That'll work
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that would be salt in the wound for Salmond.

I do hope you're right.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that would be salt in the wound for Salmond.

I do hope you're right.

Whatever the result of the Indyref, I expect the SNP to have net gains in 2015.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Shad Business Sec .@ChukaUmunna plays down suggestions of a rift within Labour: "The most united Labour party in a generation" #r4today

I think he means the most UNITE Labour Party in a generation

POST OF THE DAY
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, because England's a single land and should remain as such. Regional assemblies would accrue gradually more power, and disputes and tensions revolving around money and London/regional power would rise. It would weaken England rather than strengthen it, and it's not impossible that the country could end up splitting, eventually.

That may sound unrealistic, but if you told a Roman in the latter years of Marcus Aurelius' reign that the empire would struggle to survive the next century they may well have laughed.

If a Parliament of all Scotland can work then a Parliament for all England is the equivalent body. Nobody carved Scotland into Highlands, Lowlands and Islands, and nor should we carve England up.
  • Options

In the six Westminster seats the SNP hold, the Conservatives are in second place in 4 of them, and in the other 2, Labour are second.

So if the SNP do suffer some referendum blues, the Tories would be the biggest beneficiaries.

LOL, now we are in to the world of fantasy. No matter what happens you will not see Tories going anywhere.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

What we do know from that election is that the turnout was a massive 94% and my guess is that in Scotland it is going to be very high. I’m on 75% or more on Betfair.

I might possibly end up moving to Edinburgh in time to register on the electoral roll to have a vote in the referendum. Yet I know that if I do move to Scotland it will only be a temporary staging post to elsewhere, and so I've decided that I shouldn't interfere with a decision that won't affect me in the long-term. I won't vote, though I may spoil my ballot to make a positive abstention (will I thus be counted in the turnout?)

Am I just an oddball with this point of view, or is it possible that there could be many non-Scots, both from other parts of the UK, but also from other parts of the EU, who will feel that they shouldn't vote because it would be interfering in another country's choice?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178
    edited July 2014
    "In Scotland there’s a similar [i.e. huge] split between those born there and those born elsewhere." I believe this, but what is the evidence?

The "don't know/won't say" group are, I am sure, just very uncertain about what might follow independence, and it seems to many of us that neither side is itself clear on the matter. So the maxim "if in doubt, don't" will apply. I think the polls now understate the scale of the rejection on 18th September. I also hope that is the case because if not the SNP will follow the EU example and insist on further votes until the right answer is obtained.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LOL, now we are in to the world of fantasy. No matter what happens you will not see Tories going anywhere.
    I'm not saying Con gain Banff and Buchan.

See my post at 9.04am
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    geoffw said:

"In Scotland there’s a similar [i.e. huge] split between those born there and those born elsewhere." I believe this, but what is the evidence?

The "don't know/won't say" group are, I am sure, just very uncertain about what might follow independence, and it seems to many of us that neither side is itself clear on the matter. So the maxim "if in doubt, don't" will apply. I think the polls now understate the scale of the rejection on 18th September. I also hope that is the case because if not the SNP will follow the EU example and insist on further votes until the right answer is obtained.

ICM has English born Scottish voters splitting 75-25 to NO. Scots born ones are 51-49.
    See page 9 http://www.icmresearch.com/data/media/pdf/ScotPoll_Jun2014_Post-Vote-Weig.pdf
  • Options
    Tempted to try and write a Mash-style piece about Nicholas Clegg being accused of attempting to peddle influence by affecting government policy...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Andy Murray yesterday performed as rubbish as Boiorix of the Cimbri at The Battle of Vercellae, who do PBers think with be SPOTY?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the Cimbri obliterated 3-4 Roman armies before Marius stopped them. Harsh to describe them as rubbish.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Anglo Canada should have asked them to leave, big mistake.

Jacques correctly blamed anti patriotic minorities for voting no for the loss. In highly sectarian Scotland it's a question of how the Irish will vote.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    Well quite remarkably the You Gov site says

Despite Tory protestations to the contarary

June 30 - July 1 (2013) CON 33 LAB 38 LD 8 LEAD 5
    June 30 - July 1 (2014 CON 33 LAB 38 LD 8 LEAD 5

Now that's what I call swingback (cough)
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, the Cimbri obliterated 3-4 Roman armies before Marius stopped them. Harsh to describe them as rubbish.

Well they were rubbish at Vercellae.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Geoff, why would the polls understate the NO vote, do you have any reason why someone who is voting No would say Yes to a poll. Seems bizarre logic tome and given the type of vote it is I believe the polls are well out due to the methodology of following GE's but doubt it is towards No.
    On your other point I have seen many cases of English born people who plan to vote YES, again I am not sure where you were born will be the major factor. All the bollocks about being foreigners and splitting families etc is just pathetic.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Anglo Canada should have asked them to leave, big mistake.

Jacques correctly blamed anti patriotic minorities for voting no for the loss. In highly sectarian Scotland it's a question of how the Irish will vote.

That is just drivel, Scotland is not highly sectarian as you put it and the same applies to your Irish theory. You are George Galloway and I claim my fiver. The pathetic Orange Order voting No will be balanced by more intelligent people of Irish descent voting YES, so at best a draw.
  • Options
    Turnout was 93.52% in the Quebec referendum
  • Options
    Mr. G, you may claim a fiver, but in what currency? :p
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

BJO - now this is all good fun but I suggest slightly harsh on Labour as there is less than a year to the election. So in the interests of fairness this running ribbing should IMHO use the no of days until the election (315 as of today if GE on Thurs 14th May).

315 days ago was 22nd August

YG that day : 39 32 11 (LD) 10 ('Kip)
    Pop that day 38 30 12 12
    Opi that day 36 29 8 18

One could argue Lab are static over that time period I suppose - but the gap isn't.
  • Options
    In shocking news, Ed Balls, is well talking Balls

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 16s

EdBalls, 2013: 'stupid' to rule out EU referendum http://polho.me/TQMsI3 . EdBalls, 2014: 'silly' to promise EU ref http://polho.me/1qpFt5
  • Options

geoffw said:

ICM has English born Scottish voters splitting 75-25 to NO. Scots born ones are 51-49.
    See page 9 http://www.icmresearch.com/data/media/pdf/ScotPoll_Jun2014_Post-Vote-Weig.pdf
    Based on a handful of people no doubt. What happened to the ridicule of sub samples on here.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    For those who like their politics chunky, there's 85 pages to get their teeth into here:

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/editor/files/Adonis_Review.pdf
  • Options
    O/T

I liked this comment from Martin Lewis in his money saving email this week:

The ISA is dead. Long live the NISA. Yesterday, the 'New Individual Savings
    Account' took over. The change? The limit's boosted to £15,000/yr and now all of it can be in a cash NISA, upping the amount saveable tax-free from £5,940.

If you're wondering "why change the name?", my guess is the Govt wanted to take credit by saying "we gave you NISAs", as it sounds far glitzier than "we boosted the ISA limit".

How very true - the Govt's press office were unlikely to overlook this particular gift horse!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, brave Sir Ed bravely ran away.

When a vote reared its ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled.

Farage claimed if Labour didn't go for a referendum then UKIP would make Labour its major target at the next election. Could lose Labour some seats.
  • Options
    Европейский комиссар ‏@MoodySlayerUK 6m

Nobody in Britain is actually British according to this Kipper.

Nobody gets a passport issued at birth.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrmzxCXCQAAKoX5.jpg:large
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

If the election were 315 days wouldnt that be July not August?

I thought next years GE was on 7/5/15 Can anyone confirm if so thats 301 days to go after today isnt it?

BJO - now this is all good fun but I suggest slightly harsh on Labour as there is less than a year to the election. So in the interests of fairness this running ribbing should IMHO use the no of days until the election (315 as of today if GE on Thurs 14th May).

Pop that day 38 30 12 12
    Opi that day 36 29 8 18

One could argue Lab are static over that time period I suppose - but the gap isn't.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799

Thats a secret! He'll tell you after the referendum along with how much it's all going to cost........

• Options

TGOHF said:

If the election were 315 days wouldnt that be July not August?

I thought next years GE was on 7/5/15 Can anyone confirm if so thats 301 days to go after today isnt it?

Pop that day 38 30 12 12
    Opi that day 36 29 8 18

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

Based on a handful of people no doubt. What happened to the ridicule of sub samples on here.
    When the sub samples are 793 and 143 respectively, not much.....
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited July 2014
    Interesting comment from Markit and their Services PMI

Alongside an ongoing surge in construction and the largest quarterly rise in manufacturing
    output for 20 years, the services PMI confirms that the economy is firing on all cylinders. We expect the economy to grow by 0.8% again in the second quarter, taking GDP to a new all-time high...

With the survey having seen new record rates of job creation in each of the past three months, unemployment should continue
    to plummet in the second quarter from the 6.6% rate seen in the first quarter. A jobless rate below 6% is achievable by the end of the year if anything like the current pace of job creation is sustained in the coming months.”

http://www.markiteconomics.com/Survey/PressRelease.mvc/7c9d0c8dec61431eacdd97f3c0575533
  • Options

MD , it will be in pounds, you know that well
  • Options

Andy Murray yesterday performed as rubbish as Boiorix of the Cimbri at The Battle of Vercellae, who do PBers think with be SPOTY?

Hmm...

Relative flops so far who otherwise might have been in with a shout:

Murray, Gerrard, Farah, Alistair Cook; Jimmy Andersen; Farrell/Halfpenny

Those who could yet win big in their sport this year or have/are achieving or achieved

Lewis Hamilton; Chris Froome; Carl Froch; AP McCoy

Alot will depend on the Commonwealth Games though, if a British 100 metre sprinter manages to win the sprint or some such against the Jamaicans (Unlikely but you never know) then they could be in with a shot.

If one of the cricketers has an outstanding summer against the Indians they could possibly be in with a shout, Jimmy Andersen could be a zero to hero story perhaps ?

It's a difficult one for sure this year.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JonathanD

Are they expecting a large increase in worker productivity to match, Jonathan?
  • Options
    Mr. G, well, quite. No is forecast to win :p

Hmm. If Scotland did become independent I wonder if it'd try to get its own slot on the F1 calendar...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

When the sub samples are 793 and 143 respectively, not much.....
    LOL, how times change 143, Ha Ha Ha
  • Options
    Sorry Cant seem to manage a simple post now with quote facility.

In reply to TGOHF I meant to say that I thought next years election was on 7/5/15 can anyone confirm? If so that is 308 days to go?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, Froome could be the best option, but it could also go to a random footballer (cf 2009 when Button, despite winning the title, get the second most votes behind old ball-kicker Giggs, for no apparent reason).
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Nick - the article is interesting and civilised but have you read the comments!!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

geoffw said:

Interestingly, those born outside either place are more likely to vote Yes than the Scottish-born.
  • Options

In shocking news, Ed Balls, is well talking Balls

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 16s

EdBalls, 2013: 'stupid' to rule out EU referendum http://polho.me/TQMsI3 . EdBalls, 2014: 'silly' to promise EU ref http://polho.me/1qpFt5

The second link is well Balls
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm...

Relative flops so far who otherwise might have been in with a shout:

Murray, Gerrard, Farah, Alistair Cook; Jimmy Andersen; Farrell/Halfpenny

Those who could yet win big in their sport this year or have/are achieving or achieved

Lewis Hamilton; Chris Froome; Carl Froch; AP McCoy

Alot will depend on the Commonwealth Games though, if a British 100 metre sprinter manages to win the sprint or some such against the Jamaicans (Unlikely but you never know) then they could be in with a shot.

If one of the cricketers has an outstanding summer against the Indians they could possibly be in with a shout, Jimmy Andersen could be a zero to hero story perhaps ?

It's a difficult one for sure this year.
    There's the US open for Murray to win.

He'd have the big mo then.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Smarmeron said:

@JonathanD

Are they expecting a large increase in worker productivity to match, Jonathan?

Who knows.

Most of our previous productivity came from oil+gas extraction and City of London finance jobs and those aren't coming back anytime soon. Still you have to be in a job to get more productive and that's quite apart from the psychological damage that is done by being unemployed so its better than nothing.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    And the Good News....well it just keeps on coming

The third and, for GDP prospects, the most significant of the three Markit PMIs released this morning. After Manufacturing and Construction comes Services, where every 1% of increase contributes nearly 0.8% of GDP growth. Manufacturing, by comparison, delivers 0.1% of GDP growth for every 1% increase in output.

So the Services PMI needs to perform and it does. Respondents reported a survey record increase in payroll numbers during June together with the sharpest increase in new business for six months. This was the eighteenth month in succession in which new business increased.

Twenty eight percent of respondents reported growth in the month with over 50% forecasting higher growth over the upcoming twelve months.

But all this good news does come with a price. Volumes of work outstanding increased at the strongest rate for four months, with staff shortages beginning to act as a constraint on output and higher average salaries and wage costs as a conseuence. Other input costs (food, insurance, contractor costs) were also reported to be up although firms found it difficult to pass on rises in input cost through output price increases.

So clear signs that the slack in the labour market is tightening with some inflationary consequence. This means more pressure on the Bank of England for an early rate rise.

The UK will either have to import more immigrant workers or start increasing wages. What a dilemma!

As for the headline PMI, it came in at 57.7 well above the 50.0 rate denoting the difference between expansion and contraction.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Yup - independent Scottish pounds. (with the Sterling/Scottish exchange rate roughly 1:4.8 within a few years of 'independence')
  • Options

In reply to TGOHF I meant to say that I thought next years election was on 7/5/15 can anyone confirm? If so that is 308 days to go?

Am happy to give you a further week off if it helps you sleep

TNS 29/8 was 39 - 28 - 11 -13 : 11 point gap. So 9 point swing since then ;)

• Options
    AveryLP said:

The third and, for GDP prospects, the most significant of the three Markit PMIs released this morning. After Manufacturing and Construction comes Services, where every 1% of increase contributes nearly 0.8% of GDP growth. Manufacturing, by comparison, delivers 0.1% of GDP growth for every 1% increase in output.

So the Services PMI needs to perform and it does. Respondents reported a survey record increase in payroll numbers during June together with the sharpest increase in new business for six months. This was the eighteenth month in succession in which new business increased.

Twenty eight percent of respondents reported growth in the month with over 50% forecasting higher growth over the upcoming twelve months.

But all this good news does come with a price. Volumes of work outstanding increased at the strongest rate for four months, with staff shortages beginning to act as a constraint on output with consequent higher average salaries and wage costs. Other input costs (food, insurance, contractor costs) were also reported to be up although firms found it difficult to pass on rises in input cost through output price increases.

So clear signs that the slack in the labour market is tightening with some inflationary consequence. This means more pressure on the Bank of England for an early rate rise.

The UK will either have to import more immigrant workers or start increasing wages. What a dilemma!

As for the headline PMI, it came in at 57.7 well above the 50.0 rate denoting the difference between expansion and contraction.

Difficult to believe that the British electorate would be so stupid as to place this strong and burgeoning recovery at risk in ten months' time.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Did les femmes du Québec find Parizrau as unattractive as the lasses find Salmond ? Was there an enormous gender divide in 1995 ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014

O/T

I liked this comment from Martin Lewis in his money saving email this week:

The ISA is dead. Long live the NISA. Yesterday, the 'New Individual Savings
    Account' took over. The change? The limit's boosted to £15,000/yr and now all of it can be in a cash NISA, upping the amount saveable tax-free from £5,940.

If you're wondering "why change the name?", my guess is the Govt wanted to take credit by saying "we gave you NISAs", as it sounds far glitzier than "we boosted the ISA limit".

How very true - the Govt's press office were unlikely to overlook this particular gift horse!

It's much more than just increasing the limit, though - Osborne has finally swept away the arbitrary and completely pointless restrictions as to what you can invest in. This is exactly what all that set of Single-share PEPs, multi-share PEPs, TESSAs, TOISAs and ISAs should have been in the first place. Bravo George!

BTW I imagine a future Labour or Labour/LibDem government will restrict NISAs, though. Stash away as much as you can while they are free of such restrictions.
  • Options
    @JonathanD
    Undoubtedly.
    I was just a little concerned that with the high pound, lack of productivity will not be helpful to our export/import balance.
    Still who cares? As long as we can borrow, rising house prices, underemployment, and substituting cheap labour in place of "tech" investment is the way to go.
    I am only surprised that such a plan hasn't been tried before.
  • Options

Mr. G, well, quite. No is forecast to win :p

Hmm. If Scotland did become independent I wonder if it'd try to get its own slot on the F1 calendar...

Would need to build a suitable track, only one I know well is Knockhill and no way that could handle anything like F1. Think it would be well down the road if ever.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

But all this good news does come with a price. Volumes of work outstanding increased at the strongest rate for four months, with staff shortages beginning to act as a constraint on output and higher average salaries and wage costs as a conseuence. Other input costs (food, insurance, contractor costs) were also reported to be up although firms found it difficult to pass on rises in input cost through output price increases.

We are getting to the point that "only" 0.8% growth in Q2 would be something of a disappointment but Markit have overshot a few times recently with their activity levels not being reflected in the official figures and I think they are being a bit cautious.

The employment implications of these recent surveys are simply stunning.

I really hope that Osborne is smart enough to use such a buoyant employment market for a further increase in the Minimum wage in his Autumn statement. Good economics and good politics hand in hand in my view.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You might be missing out by not being specific Malc

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/916253

• Options
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Yup - independent Scottish pounds. (with the Sterling/Scottish exchange rate roughly 1:4.8 within a few years of 'independence')
    what a wag, splitting my sides
  • Options
    Mr. G, have more faith in Scotland! If Azerbaijan can do it, so can you!

[Seriously, Azerbaijan is likely to be on the calendar either next year or 2016].
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Intrade

Intrade stopped operating a while back, but it turns out that, contrary to expectations, they haven't actually gone bust. They are now returning client money, so if you have any funds tied up there, you should get them back. However, you must claim by the 31st July:

http://www.intrade.com
  • Options
    Although it'll be an impossible point to prove because I don't think independence will happen, a Scottish pound would probably have parity with 1 GBP.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You might be missing out by not being specific Malc

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/916253

Harry, A pound will be a pound regardless. It will be little different, ignorant people in london who refuse Scottish notes at present will continue to do so , the rest will continue as is.

PS. I note that may be a prediction of what is to come with A Scottish pound being worth a little more than the rump UK version, who knows.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Am happy to give you a further week off if it helps you sleep

TNS 29/8 was 39 - 28 - 11 -13 : 11 point gap. So 9 point swing since then ;)

Sorry I dont know what you are getting at apologies if i am being thick but 308 days ago from today would be 29/8/13
    You Gov 29/8/13 was CON 33 LAB 37 LD 10 4% Lab lead. Last 2 YG had Lab leads of 5 and 2. Average YG lead for whole of June 2014 was 4%
    So i cant see this 9% swing you refer to.

In fact i cant see much if any swingback at all

Is it wishful thinking on your part
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

There was a plan to hold a "street race" Formula 1 event in Cumbernauld, but it would have taken an act of parliament to allow it, let alone the financial side of things.
  • Options

Mr. G, have more faith in Scotland! If Azerbaijan can do it, so can you!

[Seriously, Azerbaijan is likely to be on the calendar either next year or 2016].

You sure it is not rallying
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Although it'll be an impossible point to prove because I don't think independence will happen, a Scottish pound would probably have parity with 1 GBP.

Have faith Pulpstar your probability will become fact.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    Great article.

If Labour were more like the party Jon Cruddas wants I'd probably still vote for them. But the Blairite modernisers care as much about the wwc as Cameron and Osborne do about true conservatives.. Hence a large amount from both sets of old school supporters go to Ukip
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Today the Parliamentary Labour Party were electing their members of the National Executive Committee (NEC). Former Deputy Leader Margaret Beckett had already been elected unopposed, leaving three candidates for two places. The results were as follows:

John Healey 216
    Steve Rotheram 133
    Dennis Skinner 121

250 out of 257 Labour MPs voted.

That means that Skinner, a Labour Party institution, was not re-elected to the NEC. One of the most well known members of the party has lost his place on the party’s governing body – and as someone who’s a big fan of Skinner, that’s obviously hugely upsetting.

Soon after the results were confirmed, rumours circulated suggesting that the election had been a plot from the leader’s office to remove Skinner.

http://labourlist.org/2014/07/healey-and-rotherham-elected-to-nec-but-skinner-loses-his-seat/
This discussion has been closed.