Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB lead down to just 3 percent with Ipsos-MORI

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB lead down to just 3 percent with Ipsos-MORI

Even with LAB’s down to 34% with a 3% lead they’d still get an overall maj Electoral Calculus goo.gl/kvYwh twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/st…

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    Sleazy Broken Labour on the slide.
    Before anyone gets too excited, whilst a 3 point lead Labour is funny, a poll with the Tories on 31% is not a good poll for the Tories.
    For those of us who believe it is the economy stupid

As with the YouGov/Sunday Times figures for the last few week’s, MORI’s figures also show an increase in economic optimism… or at least, a decrease in pessimism. 30% now expect the economy to improve in the next year, 31% to get worse – a net “feel good factor” of minus 1. This is up from minus 19 a month ago, and the highest since July 2010.
  • JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    O/T. My new article at the International Business Times -

'Thatcher, Cold War and Scottish Independence: New Frontier for Western Liberalism'

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/467828/20130515/scotland-referendum-liberalism-independence-thatcher-reagan-gorbachev.htm
    Mr Miliband has the least-negative net satisfaction rating of the three major party leaders, at -14.

But he is eclipsed by Mr Farage whose rating has risen to +11. Three in 10 voters have no opinion on the Ukip leader, however.

Mr Cameron’s rating has improved slightly in the past month from -28 to -21. But satisfaction with him has fallen among Conservatives.

Some 27 per cent of Tory supporters say they are “dissatisfied”, which is up from 22, while 67 per cent are satisfied, which is down four.

Mr Clegg’s rating has also improved from -44 to -37.

Ukip supporters are the most likely to say they are dissatisfied with the three major party leaders. Even Labour supporters are less likely to say they are dissatisfied with Mr Cameron than are Ukip supporters, for example.

Ipsos MORI interviewed 1,009 adults across GB by telephone from May 11 to 13. Data are weighted.
  • DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    tim said:

Others on 25%.
    Unlikely.

13% UKIP. I would guess closer to 8-10% range.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

For those of us who believe it is the economy stupid

As with the YouGov/Sunday Times figures for the last few week’s, MORI’s figures also show an increase in economic optimism… or at least, a decrease in pessimism. 30% now expect the economy to improve in the next year, 31% to get worse – a net “feel good factor” of minus 1. This is up from minus 19 a month ago, and the highest since July 2010.

Labour supporters less motivated to "stop the blues" as the economy is doing better ?
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    "Even with LAB's down to 34% with a 3% lead they'd still get an overall maj Electoral Calculus"

The prospect of a Tory HMG is just horrifying... ;^)
    Leadership ratings change

Miliband +2

Cameron +7

Clegg +7

Farage +3
    Lab maj drifted from 2.22 last month to 2.34-2.38 on betfair.

• JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Many PBers may be unaware of my view but for clarity :

Ed Miliband will never be Prime Minister

Before anyone gets too excited, whilst a 3 point lead Labour is funny, a poll with the Tories on 31% is not a good poll for the Tories.

Who are you kidding?

It's May 2013 with two years to go and Labour are only 3pts ahead - assuming this is an outlier its still very amusing and shows Labour are nowhere near breaking away from the Coalition Tories who therefore aren't even Tory Tories.
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    tim said:

Others on 25%.
    Unlikely.

Quite, given the "others" figure above is 19% (13+6).

What's the difference?

Are the tables somewhere yet?

• JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    @tim - cluching at straws, have you fallen that low? Poor thing.

Never mind. Uncle John is here to apply comforting balm and reassure you not to take mid term polls and leadership ratings (oh and projected national share from the locals, also 3% lead) TOO seriously. I don't and nor should you.

Watch those GDP figures and signs over the next 12 months that living standards may be on the up (clearly not evident from today's figures) and 2015 looks electorally somewhat enticing for some of us, doesn't it?
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Grandiose said:

tim said:

Others on 25%.
    Unlikely.

What's the difference?

There is 6 missing from the table in the thread header .
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413

'Thatcher, Cold War and Scottish Independence: New Frontier for Western Liberalism'

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/467828/20130515/scotland-referendum-liberalism-independence-thatcher-reagan-gorbachev.htm

An interesting article, James. I was hoping to be amused, but in fact it's rather good and puts an original slant on things.
    Grandiose said:

tim said:

Others on 25%.
    Unlikely.

What's the difference?

Something missing from the threader..?

31 + 34 + 10 + 13 = 88
    Other = 12

Most especially I'm greatly concerned that as the prospect of a Labour government fades away quicker than gold reserves under Gordon Brown, we shall see poor "tim" flailing around desperately for any straw in the wind that indicates Ed at No 10 !!

Sad ....

No really, it's very sad ....

Titters ....

Guffaws ....

LOL ....

ROFLOL
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    This weeks MORI and ICM polls have been dreadful for Labour.
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Grandiose said:

tim said:

Others on 25%.
    Unlikely.

What's the difference?

Something missing from the threader..?

31 + 34 + 10 + 13 = 88
    Other = 12

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I understand that the figures above only sum to 94% - I could see the calculation tim was doing - but the question is, what is that difference. What 6%, and where.
    @JackW - Don't be too hard on tim. He has been very eloquent in his silence on the merits of Ed M.
    @JohnO

"not to take mid term polls and leadership ratings (oh and projected national share from the locals, also 3% lead) TOO seriously"

There does seem to be a bit of a pattern here - even if just a coincidental one. Tee Hee.

Can I compare you to Harry O? I loved that detective series :^ )
    GIN1138 said:

This weeks MORI and ICM polls have been dreadful for Labour.

That depends on your POV re who is the next HMG :^ )
    So how long till Dan Hodges' piece saying the Mori poll proves he was right that Ed is crap?
    I still say Nick Clegg did very well at PMQs

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 1m

The Tory party unites, to take a pop at Nick Clegg

http://specc.ie/18KEHXw
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Mike should post odds on how long after some bad news for Labour, tim does a bunk for urgent 'consultations' with his old spin-mates. Usually more than 30 mins but less than an hour.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT:

A word of caution: Ipsos-MORI does tend to produce rather volatile figures, for reasons I've never quite understood (it might be their certainty-to-vote filter).

These Ipsos-MORI figures only include those certain to vote (chortle!) so must hide an awful lot of dont knows.

So how long till Dan Hodges' piece saying the Mori poll proves he was right that Ed is crap?

He's already tweeted as such.

Apparently another "single" poll coming too which proves the point.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    JackW said:

Most especially I'm greatly concerned that as the prospect of a Labour government fades away quicker than gold reserves under Gordon Brown, we shall see poor "tim" flailing around desperately for any straw in the wind that indicates Ed at No 10 !!

Sad ....

Titters ....

Guffaws ....

LOL ....

ROFLOL

One straw in the wind might be to do a seat calculation on those vote shares.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.pl?CON=31&TVCON=&LAB=34&TVLAB=&LIB=10&TVLIB=&UKIP=13&region=All+GB+changed+seats&boundary=2010&seat=--Show+all--&minorparties=Y

Lab majority 30
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Is Ed M in "substantially positive" ratings territory yet? I mean it would be some months later than IOS predicted but welcome for him nonetheless.
  • BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Wow. Another dire Labour poll.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @JamesKelly is an excellent article writer. That was a really good read, the second by pb regulars elsewhere today.
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

An interesting article, James. I was hoping to be amused, but in fact it's rather good and puts an original slant on things.
    I thought the same. The one exception was the discussion of Clinton "lecturing" on what Quebec must accept. He's entitled to his view.
    BenM said:

I guess you missed my query the other day - what do you think would improve Labour's polling - we have very different views on what is required and I'd be interested in knowing your ideas.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I'd guess the LD's will hold more than 24 seats, even on ~10%
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Nick Palmer FPT

"To be fair, that was the reason MEPs objected to the supposed budget cut - they said it was grandstanding since it made no sense to cut spending without deciding to cut any specific programmes, and it would thus put the Commission in an impossible position. Seems Ministers - including Britain - have now said, "Er, yes, OK, we don't actually want to cut any programmes, so here's some more dosh.""

Simply not true. They did not agree at all. Holland, Finland and the UK all voted against the top up but they didn't have sufficient votes to block the proposal and so they lost. The joys of QMV.
    edited May 2013
    MikeK said:

FPT:

A word of caution: Ipsos-MORI does tend to produce rather volatile figures, for reasons I've never quite understood (it might be their certainty-to-vote filter).

These Ipsos-MORI figures only include those certain to vote (chortle!) so must hide an awful lot of dont knows.
    Not particularly but they hide an awful lot of people who say they are 9/10 and 8/10 etc certain to vote

@JackW - Don't be too hard on tim. He has been very eloquent in his silence on the merits of Ed M.

Heavens above. Never thought I'd see on PB "tim" "merit" and "eloquent" in such a short sentence !!

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited May 2013
    At this point in 2005-2010 Parliament Conservatives had a 13% lead on the following vote shares;

Ipsos-MORI/

2008-05-18

Con 41% Lab 28% Lib-Dem 20% Con Lead 13%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2005-2010

If the Tories can shut up about Europe for five minutes we must be very close now for the media narrative to be all about Ed Milibands dismal mid term performance.
    I see BOE has upgraded its forecasts for the current Q.

"Today's projections are for growth to be a little stronger and inflation a little weaker than we expected three months ago. That's the first time I've been able to say that since before the financial crisis."
    Interesting stats from Mr Hodges - do we have access to a breakdown of these from the EC or are they below the declaration threshold?

"It’s true that Labour remains heavily dependent on trade union funding, but most of the income comparisons that are published concentrate exclusively on donations above £7,500. In fact, Labour’s online and small value donations now exceed the amount the party receives in trade union affiliation fees. That still leaves the big one-off donations from the unions, but again party officials are working to rationalise the way that funding is received. “We’re trying to get away from the practice where the unions just dump these big multi-million pound donations on us in the last three months before an election,” said one Labour insider, “All that happens is the money gets blown on posters and leaflets. We need to be able to start building up an infrastructure.”

The problem for Labour is the big general election donations are traditionally used as demonstration of each individual union's virility. It used to be common for some unions to deliberately hold back their final tranche of cash until they knew what their brothers/competitors were donating, just so they could top it. “How much have Unite given? How much?! Damn. We’re going to have to get another £250,000 from somewhere.”

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100217138/non-predatory-but-non-profitable-are-labour-still-singing-the-praises-of-the-co-operative-bank/

MikeK said:

FPT:

Not particularly but they hide an awful lot of people who say they are 9/10 and 8/10 etc certain to vote

Methodology seems to get an airing when it's bad for the lefties.

Average turn out at a GE is ?

Total of sample indicating a 10 ?

I assume IM have honed this over time - for good reasons.

JackW said:

Sad ....

Titters ....

Guffaws ....

LOL ....

ROFLOL

One straw in the wind might be to do a seat calculation on those vote shares.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.pl?CON=31&TVCON=&LAB=34&TVLAB=&LIB=10&TVLIB=&UKIP=13&region=All+GB+changed+seats&boundary=2010&seat=--Show+all--&minorparties=Y

Lab majority 30
    How very dare you quote "Electoral Calculus" at the founder and CEO of ARSE. Pale imitations of my vast rump simply do not enter my calculations !!

edited May 2013
    Plato said:

BenM said:

I guess you missed my query the other day - what do you think would improve Labour's polling - we have very different views on what is required and I'd be interested in knowing your ideas.
    I'm no strategist!

All I know is that Labour are much much further away from winning the next General Election than I thought they were.

The question is are they behind the Tories in the race at this juncture taking into account swingback, rising economic confidence (no matter that any recovery will still be weak), Tory media power and so on?

One thing I will say is that despite what he thinks DanHodgesism won't save Labour any more than the current confused state of the Party will. Gutlessly backing the Tory mantra just makes the case for voters to vote Tory next time - which they will.
  • BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Plato said:

Who are you kidding?

It's May 2013 with two years to go and Labour are only 3pts ahead - assuming this is an outlier its still very amusing and shows Labour are nowhere near breaking away from the Coalition Tories who therefore aren't even Tory Tories.
    IN ONE POLL. YouGov this morning showed a 10pt lead for Labour. Any comments on that?

• tim said:

If Cameron isn't ahead of Miliband on the leader ratings the Tories will lose power.
    The Labour brand and FPTP will see to that.
    You talk about the Labour brand and yes Labour has a basic brand that gets good ratings on the NHS etc, however, it has been damaged by the Brown years. The problem is that after 3 years no-one knows what Ed Miliband stands for still and he has done nothing to win back trust from non-core supporters.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Tories will go massively negative on Labout at GE15. They will portray Miliband as Red Ed and Labour as the irresponsible party of shirkers. As Labour have done nothing to repair their brand it seems likely some of these charges will stick.
    BBC Question Time @bbcquestiontime
    Final panel this week - Philip Hammond, @ChrisBryantMP, @charles_kennedy, Gillian Tett and @PeterBazalgette #bbcqt
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,536
    Socrates said:
    I like the way SeanT now has, apparently, a liberal mind!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Looks like an outlier to me, but still not great for the sole nationwide opposition party to somehow be shedding support.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    This is all before the spot light is really put upon Labour in a run up to the Election.

Pathetic performance by them all things considered.
    Don't know if it has been mentioned but the Liberals confounded the pollsters and pundits and won the British Columbia election yesterday . Angus Reid had NDP ahead by 9 and Ipsos had NDP ahead by 8 in their final polls yet the Liberals won by 5% . The Greens gained one seat and the Conservatives won none .
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2013
    It amuses me how the supporters on PB of the Con/Lab/Lib party talk about their respective nemesis: the leaders of the third of the party.

1. Tory: Cammo, a windmill loving, dithering on everything type leader, with more U-turns than a helter-skelter and loves the colour turquoise instead of blue. Can be relied to hide behind his family as measure of last resort.
    2. Labour: Red Ed, back stabber and intriguer par excellence. Has nose job to talk without mumbling (doesn't work BTW), never says anything without appearing quite daft. His motto: unions are my mates.
    3. L/Dem: Cleggover, serial liar and breaker of dyed in the wool promises. Has high hopes of massive EU job if ousted. Loves the number 30.

Good afternoon, everyone.

Looks like an outlier to me, but still not great for the sole nationwide opposition party to somehow be shedding support.

Were it that they were. All that has happened is their certainty to vote percentage has fallen 6pts. Otherwise same as last time at 38%.
  • corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Socrates said:
    I like the way SeanT now has, apparently, a liberal mind!
    I'll have a Lib Dem membership form sent over.
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

@JackW

I see you are ignoring the leader ratings.
    Which proves you learned nothing from the last election.

Jack W is 109.
    How we laughed.

Oh .... you are rattled aren't you !!

I suppose at the last GE my forecasting within two seats was a bit shabby. I'll try a wee bit harder in 2015.

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    tim said:

The research also finds support for Labour, among all those certain to vote, at the lowest it has been since the 2010 General Election at 34%. However, this is due to a fall in the strength of support among Labour voters rather than a switch to other parties. Only 57% of Labour supporters say they are certain to vote at the next election (down six points over the month), compared to 67% of Conservatives, 68% of Liberal Democrats and 75% of UKIP supporters. Among all those naming a party, Labour is unchanged from April’s poll at 38%.

Local elections in the Tory shires, and UKIP zeal of the convert.

hmm, I'd have thought your concern should more be first the loss of zeal, then the creeping discontent, then the active desire to do something different. If labourites are losing enthusiasm to vote for labour then the flow of traffic is in the wrong direction and others have their chance. Do you think Ed's lack of standing for anything is switching people off ?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    JackW said:

I pray you are right Jack.

What a disaster awaits otherwise.

• TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Floater said:

JackW said:

The imposition of massive cuts in public spending would be a good thing.

The Ipsos full data tables show Greens at 6% and the remaining others at 6% . In the whole sample UKIP were only at 11% , Con 31% Lab 38% LD 10%
    List of MPs who've signed the Amendment on the EU Referendum:

Mr John Baron (Con)
    Mr Nigel Dodds (DUP)
    Kelvin Hopkins(Lab)
    Mr Peter Bone (Con)
    Mr Philip Hollobone (Con)
    John Cryer (Lab)
    Philip Davies (Con)
    Mr Douglas Carswell (Con)
    Mr Edward Leigh (Con)
    Mr John Redwood (Con)
    Mr David Davis (Con)
    Mr Bernard Jenkin (Con)
    Dr Matthew Offord (Con)
    Mr William Cash (Con)
    Mr Crispin Blunt (Con)
    Mr Aidan Burley (Con)
    Karen Lumley (Con)
    Andrew Rosindell (Con)
    Bill Wiggin (Con)
    Chris Kelly (Con)
    Mr David Nuttall (Con)
    Mrs Cheryl Gillan (Con)
    Andrew Bingham (Con)
    Fiona Bruce (Con)
    Craig Whittaker (Con)
    Mr James Gray (Con)
    Adam Afriyie (Con)
    Jason McCartney (Con)
    Henry Smith (Con)
    Andrew Percy (Con)
    Mark Pritchard (Con)
    Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger (Con)
    Mr James Clappison (Con)
    Mrs Anne Main (Con)
    Stephen McPartland (Con)
    Heather Wheeler (Con)
    Mr Charles Walker (Con)
    Sheryll Murray (Con)
    Mr Laurence Robertson (Con)
    Bob Stewart (Con)
    Richard Drax (Con)
    Martin Vickers (Con)
    Mike Weatherley (Con)
    Gordon Henderson (Con)
    Zac Goldsmith (Con)
    Kate Hoey (Lab)
    Steve Brine (Con)
    Nigel Mills (Con)
    Mr Andrew Turner (Con)
    Dr Julian Lewis (Con)
    John Stevenson (Con)
    Guto Bebb (Con)
    Nick de Bois (Con)
    Mr Brian Binley (Con)
    Sir Richard Shepherd (Con)
    Mr Adam Holloway (Con)
    Gavin Barwell (Con)
    Mr Stewart Jackson (Con)
    Dr William McCrea (DUP)
    David Morris (Con)
    Dr Sarah Wollaston (Con)
    Mr Frank Field (Lab)
    Natascha Engel (Lab)
    Sir Roger Gale (Con)
    Charlotte Leslie (Con)
    Anne Marie Morris (Con)
    Iain Stewart (Con)
    David Simpson (DUP)
    Mr Jeffrey M. Donaldson (DUP)
    Jim Shannon (DUP)
    Bob Blackman (Con)
    Mr Gregory Campbell (DUP)
    Mr David Amess (Con)
    Mr Christopher Chope (Con)
    Conor Burns (Con)
    Alun Cairns (Con)
    Dr Phillip Lee (Con)
    Nadine Dorries (Con)
    Andrew Bridgen (Con)
    Caroline Nokes (Con)
    Graham Stringer (Lab)
    Dan Byles (Con)
    Simon Hart (Con)
    Grahame M. Morris (Lab)
    Jeremy Corbyn (Lab)
    Mr Dennis Skinner (Lab)
    Tim Loughton (Con)
    John Hemming (LD)
    Austin Mitchell (Lab)
    Sir Gerald Howarth (Con)
    Karl McCartney (Con)
    Rosie Cooper (Lab)

edited May 2013
    Floater said:

JackW said:

Disaster is at the lowest end of consequences !!

Toodles ....

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited May 2013
    This might seem an odd point but has any pollster ever cross tabbed the likelihood to vote of individuals against what they say their certainty to vote is. A fair few of these 10/10s may well be people wanting to look like they are interested to a pollster whereas the 9s might be more likely to vote and just perhaps aren't sure if they might be on a holiday or some such. After all how can anyone be 100% (10/10) they will be able to vote in a GE. I'd probably give a 9/10 answer if polled

The Ipsos full data tables show Greens at 6% and the remaining others at 6% . In the whole sample UKIP were only at 11% , Con 31% Lab 38% LD 10%

So factoring in only those who were 10/10 certain to vote made no difference to Tory numbers compared to the whole sample?

So factoring in only those who were 10/10 certain to vote made no difference to Tory numbers compared to the whole sample?

Correct
    Plato - Carswell and Goldsmith already stated they wont vote in favour tonight.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited May 2013
    Plato said:

List of MPs who've signed the Amendment on the EU Referendum:

Mr John Baron (Con)
    Mr Nigel Dodds (DUP)
    Kelvin Hopkins(Lab)
    Mr Peter Bone (Con)
    Mr Philip Hollobone (Con)
    John Cryer (Lab)
    Philip Davies (Con)
    Mr Douglas Carswell (Con)
    Mr Edward Leigh (Con)
    Mr John Redwood (Con)
    Mr David Davis (Con)
    Mr Bernard Jenkin (Con)
    Dr Matthew Offord (Con)
    Mr William Cash (Con)
    Mr Crispin Blunt (Con)
    Mr Aidan Burley (Con)
    Karen Lumley (Con)
    Andrew Rosindell (Con)
    Bill Wiggin (Con)
    Chris Kelly (Con)
    Mr David Nuttall (Con)
    Mrs Cheryl Gillan (Con)
    Andrew Bingham (Con)
    Fiona Bruce (Con)
    Craig Whittaker (Con)
    Mr James Gray (Con)
    Adam Afriyie (Con)
    Jason McCartney (Con)
    Henry Smith (Con)
    Andrew Percy (Con)
    Mark Pritchard (Con)
    Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger (Con)
    Mr James Clappison (Con)
    Mrs Anne Main (Con)
    Stephen McPartland (Con)
    Heather Wheeler (Con)
    Mr Charles Walker (Con)
    Sheryll Murray (Con)
    Mr Laurence Robertson (Con)
    Bob Stewart (Con)
    Richard Drax (Con)
    Martin Vickers (Con)
    Mike Weatherley (Con)
    Gordon Henderson (Con)
    Zac Goldsmith (Con)
    Kate Hoey (Lab)
    Steve Brine (Con)
    Nigel Mills (Con)
    Mr Andrew Turner (Con)
    Dr Julian Lewis (Con)
    John Stevenson (Con)
    Guto Bebb (Con)
    Nick de Bois (Con)
    Mr Brian Binley (Con)
    Sir Richard Shepherd (Con)
    Mr Adam Holloway (Con)
    Gavin Barwell (Con)
    Mr Stewart Jackson (Con)
    Dr William McCrea (DUP)
    David Morris (Con)
    Dr Sarah Wollaston (Con)
    Mr Frank Field (Lab)
    Natascha Engel (Lab)
    Sir Roger Gale (Con)
    Charlotte Leslie (Con)
    Anne Marie Morris (Con)
    Iain Stewart (Con)
    David Simpson (DUP)
    Mr Jeffrey M. Donaldson (DUP)
    Jim Shannon (DUP)
    Bob Blackman (Con)
    Mr Gregory Campbell (DUP)
    Mr David Amess (Con)
    Mr Christopher Chope (Con)
    Conor Burns (Con)
    Alun Cairns (Con)
    Dr Phillip Lee (Con)
    Nadine Dorries (Con)
    Andrew Bridgen (Con)
    Caroline Nokes (Con)
    Graham Stringer (Lab)
    Dan Byles (Con)
    Simon Hart (Con)
    Grahame M. Morris (Lab)
    Jeremy Corbyn (Lab)
    Mr Dennis Skinner (Lab)
    Tim Loughton (Con)
    John Hemming (LD)
    Austin Mitchell (Lab)
    Sir Gerald Howarth (Con)
    Karl McCartney (Con)
    Rosie Cooper (Lab)

My local MP (Engel) also voted with Carswell's EU thingamajig about a year or so back. Food for thought...
    Pulpstar said:

This might seem an odd point but has any pollster ever cross tabbed the likelihood to vote of individuals against what they say their certainty to vote is. A fair few of these 10/10s may well be people wanting to look like they are interested to a pollster whereas the 9s might be more likely to vote and just perhaps aren't sure if they might be on a holiday or some such. After all how can anyone be 100% (10/10) they will be able to vote in a GE. I'd probably give a 9/10 answer if polled

It's not an odd question at all – it's a good one. Also, not sure why Mori only uses the 10/10: I can understand their having that filter but I'd probably accept nines and even eights.

tim said:

Floater said:

JackW said:

Like this

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/business/global/02austerity.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Combined with reversing the evil of immigration you could use Lithuania as a model.
    You're spoiling us now. Two of your pet topics wrapped up in one newspaper wrapper. Delicious.

• corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, I've got an article coming up on it. (A bit data heavy, so taking a while)
    OT...
    This Friday is International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO).
    May 17 was chosen to commemorate the World Health Organization’s decision in 1990 to declassify homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Can't believe it was a recent as 1990 that homosexuality was considered an illness.

Starting to see how attitudes can change so rapidly. Within a single generation we have moved from this to widley accepting same-sex marriage.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100217138/non-predatory-but-non-profitable-are-labour-still-singing-the-praises-of-the-co-operative-bank/

"The Labour Party is broke. According to Sam Coates in this morning’s Times, “Labour is facing a new financial crisis after it emerged that the party depends on a massive overdraft from the troubled Co-operative Bank. The party relies on a £3.9 million lifeline from the ailing lender, which could be cut as part of the overhaul or sale of the bank.”

To be fair, the Labour Party has always been as profligate with its own money as it is with everybody else’s."

"There seems to be a strange silence concerning the crisis afflicting the Left’s favourite banking institution. As far as I’m aware UK Uncut has no protests planned. The banks directors are not facing sit-ins on their driveways from activists enraged at the betrayal of the bank’s loyal customers. I haven’t read that Labour has any debates planned or EDMs tabled. Not so much as a single call from Ed Miliband for an urgent public inquiry. Nor does a trawl of the internet find any record of demands from the Labour leader, or his front bench spokesman, for former boss Neville Richardson, who left the Co-Op in 2011 with £4.6 million, to repay any of his bonus."
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    Pulpstar said:

Anthony Wells once published an analysis of voting compared with declared certainty to vote (I think it was a panel and they went back and asked - of course, people may lie). It was pretty linear but not from 0 to 100% - people who said they were 10/10 sure usually did, those who said 0/10 usually didn't, but there were a fair number in both cases who differed from their declared intention. The fairest is probably to weight with declared certainty.

tim said:

tim said:

Floater said:

JackW said:

Like this

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/business/global/02austerity.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Combined with reversing the evil of immigration you could use Lithuania as a model.
    You're spoiling us now. Two of your pet topics wrapped up in one newspaper wrapper. Delicious.

The Tories Neo Nazi allies are Latvian, not that I expect you to recognise the difference.
    Austerity and Immigration. I wasn't thinking of your other comedy routine but thanks for reminding me.

You really are rattled.

tim said:

The Tories Neo Nazi allies are Latvian, not that I expect you to recognise the difference.

We will never forget the Latvian homophobes, tim!

• AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2013
    Socrates said:
    Christ-on-a-bike, some of those commenters are bonkers. I mean properly, eye-swivellingly nuts. An example:

"...Sean Thomas is a vile piece of scum who by trying to take attention away from these gangs and blame the wholly innocent Nick Griffin is himself complicit in child rape."
    @TheWatcher

I've missed this meme. Why oh why has it not fed through to the wider electorate?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m
    Osbo on top form, seizing on Hollande GDP woes. 'We don't hear much of the French connection from Labour these days'

hehehe
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

Nick Palmer FPT

"To be fair, that was the reason MEPs objected to the supposed budget cut - they said it was grandstanding since it made no sense to cut spending without deciding to cut any specific programmes, and it would thus put the Commission in an impossible position. Seems Ministers - including Britain - have now said, "Er, yes, OK, we don't actually want to cut any programmes, so here's some more dosh.""

Simply not true. They did not agree at all. Holland, Finland and the UK all voted against the top up but they didn't have sufficient votes to block the proposal and so they lost. The joys of QMV.

Fair enough - thanks for the correction.

edited May 2013

OT...
    May 17 was chosen to commemorate the World Health Organization’s decision in 1990 to declassify homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Can't believe it was a recent as 1990 that homosexuality was considered an illness.

Starting to see how attitudes can change so rapidly. Within a single generation we have moved from this to widley accepting same-sex marriage.

It was illegal to have gay sex in Scotland until 1980 - and in NI in 1982 - it was legal in England and Wales from 1967, that really surprised me at the gap between.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Offences_Act_1967
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've updated the header to include both sets of voting numbers and also this month's leader ratings.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22539965

The good news just keeps on coming. And Labour on 34% 2 years from GE, Milibands stock is falling fast - time to fire up the quattro!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    FPT and in response to Socrates:-

"Socrates said:
    This is an incredible bit from SeanT's column:

"Why did Afzal [head of the North West prosecution service] succeed where others feared to tread? Afzal himself says: "My Pakistani heritage helped cut through barriers within the black and minority ethnic communities, And white professionals' oversensitivity to political correctness and fear of appearing racist may well have contributed to justice being stalled.”"

The actual head of the authority in charge of getting these convictions has says its down to oversensitivity to political correctness. How on Earth does this not get reported by the mainstream media?"

To be fair, I saw this reported a while back. So it has been - even if not widely publicised.

And over-sensitivity was not the only reason. On Newsnight last night Keir Starmer was very good at explaining how prosecutors assessed the evidential value of the victims and came up with the conclusion that they would be poor witnesses hence no point prosecuting rather than seeing them as abused children and looking at the wider picture.

We have a tendency to forget that 12-13-14-year olds are children. All the more so when they are abandoned in "care".

• SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    tim said:

Osbo on top form, seizing on Hollande GDP woes. 'We don't hear much of the French connection from Labour these days'

hehehe

He never learns does he.

Who said this?

The US economy has grown more slowly than the UK economy so far this year, despite fiscal stimulus in the former and fiscal consolidation in the latter, showing that the problem is not too much fiscal responsibility.
    Miliband was a fool to tie himself to the French model, and now he's going to pay the price for it over and over and over.
    edited May 2013
    Interesting that the satisfaction ratings of everyone seem to have impoved since last month in this poll. A less grumpy sample? The contrast with Maggie fading? A consequence of economic confidence improving?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Comments on Telegraph blogs can be quite appalling as I found out last year when doing three piece a week on the US election.

I see they've stopped comments on the latest from SeanT
    Anorak said:

Socrates said:
    Christ-on-a-bike, some of those commenters are bonkers. I mean properly, eye-swivellingly nuts. An example:

"...Sean Thomas is a vile piece of scum who by trying to take attention away from these gangs and blame the wholly innocent Nick Griffin is himself complicit in child rape."
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    PR^2

Lab 306
    Con 255
    UKIP 45
    LD 26

hehehe

"You ever been to Poughkeepsie: Huh?"
    TGOHF said:

hehehe

Now I've got images of EdM sitting on his bed in Poughkeepsie picking his toes.

Thanks

tim said:

hehehe

He never learns does he.

Who said this?

The US economy has grown more slowly than the UK economy so far this year, despite fiscal stimulus in the former and fiscal consolidation in the latter, showing that the problem is not too much fiscal responsibility.
    Miliband was a fool to tie himself to the French model, and now he's going to pay the price for it over and over and over.
    The French model is Austerity.

OT...

17 May 1990 is the most famous date for anone who works in pension law, because it was the date of the decision of the European Court of Justice in Barber v GRE, which decided that the Treaty of Rome had direct effect in British law and so any sex discriminatory terms of pension schemes had to be equalised.

This decision has kept me in paid work for my entire career. God bless the EU!

TGOHF said:

hehehe

Now I've got images of EdM sitting on his bed in Poughkeepsie picking his toes.

Thanks
    That would have been the most productive thing he has done for the last 3 years.

tim said:

tim said:

hehehe

He never learns does he.

Who said this?

I suspect you don't understand what the "French model " is do you.
    Care to explain to us the policy regarding austerity and parallels with Labour?
    High taxes, no welfare reforms.

antifrank said:

This decision has kept me in paid work for my entire career.

Have you figured out how to equalise GMPs, antifrank? ;)
    edited May 2013
    Neil said:

antifrank said:

This decision has kept me in paid work for my entire career.

Have you figured out how to equalise GMPs, antifrank? ;)
    Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

EDIT or to be more precise, I take Lord Irvine of Lairg's approach to the West Lothian Question.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    tim said:

tim said:

hehehe

He never learns does he.

Who said this?

I suspect you don't understand what the "French model " is do you.
    Care to explain to us the policy regarding austerity and parallels with Labour?
    Well, it is very difficult to make meaningful comparators when one side of the equations gives you a blank sheet of paper.
This discussion has been closed.