Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB gathering – Ilkley, Yorkshire: Monday July 7th 2014 star

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Quincel said:

It's half time, Costa Rica lead 1-0 and Stan James are STILL offering 1/10 on England going out in the groups! That was generous pre-match even using a treble of their own odds on the three results needed!

I wonder what the maximum bet on that is.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    dr_spyn said:

Costa Rica forwards will enjoy meeting England's defence.

Only if they can find it. Think it's missing with Lord Lucan and Shergar.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

It's half time, Costa Rica lead 1-0 and Stan James are STILL offering 1/10 on England going out in the groups! That was generous pre-match even using a treble of their own odds on the three results needed!

I wonder what the maximum bet on that is.
    Dunno I'd probably try for a couple of hundred on it.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    MrJones said:

FPT

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f4798152-f858-11e3-a333-00144feabdc0.html#axzz35B3by4M9

This is the real story today, the growing economy is not seeing a growth in tax receipts, so no wonder Avery wants to bury us in detail.

Importing millions of extra people isn't "growth" or "recovery".

And if the bulk of those extra millions are low-paid then it obviously won't improve the national finances at all. In fact it will make it worse.

And if all the extra hospitals, schools, houses, roads, prisons etc needed to maintain the same level of infrastructure were being built for all these extra millions of people then the effect on the national finances would be much worse so a large part of the worsening situation is disguised inside the overloading of the existing infrastructure.

The people who benefit are people who employ large quantities of low-paid workers as they are effectively off-loading their wage bill onto the taxpayers. This is just another example of privatizing profits while socializing costs which has become the dominant driver of the economy since the political class were bought.

Californication, schools, hospitals and infrastructure are even more costly than welfare checks. The raising of the income tax bracket makes low wage immigrants impact even more devastating.

Our finances are in a terrible state given the stage of the economic cycle we are in.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,817
    Just checking the score. Ooops. Bye-bye England?

:(
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,072
    On topic, what's the parking like around The Flying Duck?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    "What's the difference between England and a tea bag?
    A tea bag stays in the cup longer."
  • Options
    I've been to Haworth. Still don't know how to pronounce it.
  • Options
    Amusingly England were as low as 25-1 and Costa Rica as high as 2500-1 in this world cup.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Not a bad side Costa Rica! My nul points bet is looking promising...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,838
    @Socrates

The phrase I used was 'comparatively benign' and it does you no credit to chop off a word to try and manufacture -what was it you called it? Oh yes 'moral outrage'. I absolutely stand by that assertion, compared to Saudi Arabia or Bahrain, which make pre-war Syria look like a model state. Incidentally, there are also democracy movements in those countries, whose protests have been put down with the merciless vigour you would expect. Where is America and the West's 'push toward democracy' there?

I take you on trust that you consult various sources on the matter, but frankly your surface account indicates your sources range from The Telegraph to The Guardian. It also indicates that you certainly didn't watch the video I posted earlier -no matter; I've no right to ask you to spend the time, but it demolishes the 'slaughter' angle, certainly before the conflict began in earnest. You had snipers shooting at both sides, a theme which has been repeated in Maidan, and in Crimea, where those on the ground were sensible enough not to let it trigger a full conflict.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I've been to Haworth. Still don't know how to pronounce it.

Harr-werth

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Has Ed M commented on the Costa Rican crisis in England?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    We could easily see Italy, England, Portugal & Spain all going home before the knock outs...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,383
    I see Populus reports that, asked if they remember anything from last week, 37% mention Iraq and only 21% mention the World Cup.

Will Cameron get a negative bounce when we're out, as someone suggested? Nah. nobody expected anything else.

Perhaps Mr Juncker could suggest a joint Euroteam...
  • Options
    Italy are 10 with Betfair if anyone finds that bet attractive:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/football/market?id=1.112173847&exp=e
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,005

I seem to remember mocking that bet a couple of days ago. While it still isn't odds on and for good reason, I will admit that 33/1 is looking very sweet right now.
  • Options
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hodgson
    Roy Hodgson (born 9 August 1947) is an English former footballer who was the manager of the England national football team. He was sacked on 20th June ...
  • Options
    England 1.33 for the test. I know we've had a great day and all but that looks far too short.

Couple of wickets tommorow and that will be cashable.

• Options
    I apologise for saying this to all Italians but watching this Italian performance, they look like England when it comes to ball retention, basics like what is offside...
  • Options
    If Italy lose 1-0 here then a draw against Uruguay gets them through.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I only put a couple of quid on as insurance against a disappointing England performance.
    Quincel said:

I seem to remember mocking that bet a couple of days ago. While it still isn't odds on and for good reason, I will admit that 33/1 is looking very sweet right now.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,005
    Is it just me, or does the 1.4ish available on CR winning the match seem a bit generous? Only 13 minutes left and injury time, and they look as likely to score as Italy.
  • Options
    2-0 and a draw against Uruguay sends them home...

Actually they've probably assumed Costa Rica will get thrash England so are settling for 1-0 ^_^
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Is it just me, or does the 1.4ish available on CR winning the match seem a bit generous? Only 13 minutes left and injury time, and they look as likely to score as Italy.

Especially with the group maths.
  • Options
    I've not been able to cash out my Costa Rica bets, turns out you can't cash in free bets.
  • Options
    Dear Mr Milliband,

May I put in a request for a Costa Rican Pygmy Owl?

They are far superior to English or Italian owls...

http://owling.com/Costa_Rican_Pygmy.htm
  • Options
    We lost to Italy and Uruguay - CR beaten both, we might lose 5-0 or worse.
  • Options
    It's curtains for England. Well, almost.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Pulpstar said:

If Italy lose 2:0 then a draw will put Uruguay through on goals scored.

• Options
    To be topical, I think the Queen is more likely to punch Balotelli in the throat...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

If Italy lose 2:0 then a draw will put Uruguay through on goals scored.

Italy are good at getting draws when they need to.
  • Options
    What have the Italians ever done for us?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AndyJS said:

It's curtains for England. Well, almost.

Well what do you expect, when the UK educational establishment has taught 2 generations of school children that competition, especially in sport, is wrong and anathema.

International football is only one area that the UK are not competitive.

• Options
    England out.

The "Smithson" bet turns to dust - £200 lost.
  • Options
    Arsenal and Fulham reserves help put England out.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yet another profitable tip by me.

In case you missed, the rest of my tips for today are

Switzerland to beat the Frogs, also backed Sakho as FGS

Honduras to beat Ecuador - Also backed a red card in this match
  • Options
    JackW said:

England out.

Serves you right for taking my advice!
  • Options

JackW said:

England out.

Serves you right for taking my advice!
    You wretched gentleman .... leading an innocent fellow astray.

Chortle ....

• Options

An astonishing return on your tips TSE - we must remember your "system" for future tournaments.
  • Options
    I won £20 on that match but Betfair have only deposited £12 so far. Why are they splitting it up?
  • Options
    edited June 2014

An astonishing return on your tips TSE - we must remember your "system" for future tournaments.
    I do wonder if some bookies will stop offering "cash out" options, and we will have to "cash out" the old fashioned way via betfair.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    @FalseFlag, @MrJones

Given the devastating impact of low skilled immigration, could either of you explain how the US - which imported so much of it between 1750 and 1915 - managed to become such a success?

In fact, both Britain and the US had open door immigration polcies during their acendence, and the closing of the door marked - in both cases - the beginning of their periods of relative decline.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Time for the English public schools to make soccer compulsory.

Vane-Wycherley-Farquarson and Cholmondley-Smyth on the wings is the only hope left.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

@Socrates

The phrase I used was 'comparatively benign' and it does you no credit to chop off a word to try and manufacture -what was it you called it? Oh yes 'moral outrage'. I absolutely stand by that assertion, compared to Saudi Arabia or Bahrain, which make pre-war Syria look like a model state. Incidentally, there are also democracy movements in those countries, whose protests have been put down with the merciless vigour you would expect. Where is America and the West's 'push toward democracy' there?

I interpreted "relatively benign" to mean by government standards all over the world. If all you meant that it was relatively benign relative to only the very worst regimes, then that's more acceptable, but still only correct for pre-war Syria. Since the massacres began, I would say Syria is on an equivalent level.

I take you on trust that you consult various sources on the matter, but frankly your surface account indicates your sources range from The Telegraph to The Guardian. It also indicates that you certainly didn't watch the video I posted earlier -no matter; I've no right to ask you to spend the time, but it demolishes the 'slaughter' angle, certainly before the conflict began in earnest. You had snipers shooting at both sides, a theme which has been repeated in Maidan, and in Crimea, where those on the ground were sensible enough not to let it trigger a full conflict.

From where I sit I would guess you get your sources from Russia Today, Press TV and right wing conspiracy theory websites, but I'm happy to stick to the facts. I haven't watched your video because I am not currently on a machine where I can hear sound, so there seemed little point. If you're about when I do have access, I will give it a go (assuming it's a credible source). Reports like this one document the abuse very clearly:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/01/20/syria-board.of.inquiry.doha.jan.2014.18.1.version.x.to.print..pdf
  • Options
    Bring back Lampard - was he the only privately schooled player in the squad?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I won £20 on that match but Betfair have only deposited £12 so far. Why are they splitting it up?

They've sorted it out now.
  • Options
    We are following Scotland into oblivion. Kids watch and talk about football, but do jot play it in the streets and parks, except on sunday leagues.

Play once a week and you will never be as good as if you play every day after school.
    AveryLP said:

Vane-Wycherley-Farquarson and Cholmondley-Smyth on the wings is the only hope left.

• Options
    England did win a World Cup today -

The Junior World Rugby Cup beating South Africa 21:20 in Auckland earlier today.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2014
    Is this the worst performance by England at a World Cup Final (1958 was 3 draws and a loss)? Since a win was just 2 points then, even if we win the last game, it is probably worse than 1958. Hodgson, worst England Manager at a World Cup Final. 1950 was 1 win and two losses. Which is the best we can hope for. Also the 1950 and 58 Manager, Winterbottom never had the power to pick his own team (it was chosen by a selection committee).

and the FA want to keep Hodgson for 2 more years?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    JackW said:

The Junior World Rugby Cup beating South Africa 21:20 in Auckland earlier today.

Retaining their title Mr W. All credit to them.
  • Options
    Thierry Henri made a very good point that Costa Rica play as a team and England do not. That comes right back to the Manager, his selections, tactics and motivation.
  • Options
    To be fair in 1994, 1978 and 1974 we dinnae qualify, so arguably worse performances.

Is this the worst performance by England at a World Cup Final (1958 was 3 draws and a loss). Since a win was just 2 points then, even if we win the last game, it is probably worse than 1958. Hodgson, worst England Manager at a World Cup Final.

and the FA want to keep him for 2 more years?

• Options
    Look at it this way, at least at this World Cup finals, we've done as well as Spain.
  • Options
    But as my European Colleagues inform me, not as well as Greece or Bosnia.

Look at it this way, at least at this World Cup finals, we've done as well as Spain.

• Options

To be fair in 1994, 1978 and 1974 we dinnae qualify, so arguably worse performances.

Is this the worst performance by England at a World Cup Final (1958 was 3 draws and a loss). Since a win was just 2 points then, even if we win the last game, it is probably worse than 1958. Hodgson, worst England Manager at a World Cup Final.

Well I wrote "at a World Cup Final". Hodgson was also chosen because of his tournament experience.....
  • Options
    corporeal said:

JackW said:

Retaining their title Mr W. All credit to them.
    Indeed.

As a passionate rugby fan, but Scot, it pains me to say England have a fantastic wealth of talent lining up for next years World Cup.

Meanwhile Scottish rugby is lulling the world into a sense of false security with regular unconvincing performances that make England football team look like world beaters.

You heard it hear first ....

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    rcs1000 said:

@FalseFlag, @MrJones

Given the devastating impact of low skilled immigration, could either of you explain how the US - which imported so much of it between 1750 and 1915 - managed to become such a success?

In fact, both Britain and the US had open door immigration polcies during their acendence, and the closing of the door marked - in both cases - the beginning of their periods of relative decline.

No higher than other British countries and immigration was restricted to Europeans mostly. Britain has never had mass immigration until the post war period marking our decline. The US was a major power in colonial Times, it's how they won independence. Initially the US restricted immigration to Europeans Christians and only saw mass immigration in the 1850s and pre the 1920 restriction act which favoured limited immigration from NW Europe. The US has only begun it's decline with the 1965 immigration act. Actually Ben Franklin believed US high living standards were due to few labourers but plentiful land, something immigration reverses.

How come East Asia is the richest part of the world but has and does have no immigration at all?
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119

We are following Scotland into oblivion. Kids watch and talk about football, but do jot play it in the streets and parks, except on sunday leagues.

Play once a week and you will never be as good as if you play every day after school.

AveryLP said:

They made it illegal to play on the streets a few years ago. There was a small park near where I grew up, but they banned ball games on that as well.

Kids aren't allowed to do anything these days.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,666
    Prince Harry is going to the England v Costa Rica game. Oops.
  • Options
    @BhamUpdates: Please dispose of your England memorabilia responsibly. http://t.co/hGHhuLXlfa

Chortle
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I have always thought Prince Harry would be better in the starting line up than on the substitutes bench.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

I have always thought Prince Harry would be better in the starting line up than on the substitutes bench.
    Oh i have better uses for him ;)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@BhamUpdates: Please dispose of your England memorabilia responsibly. http://t.co/hGHhuLXlfa

Chortle

Put it in the loft for short term use in Russia and Qatar ....

Titter ....

• Options
    Ron Hamilton ‏@hamiltard 22m

@Knox_Harrington Rodgers, Martinez & Pochettino all shown what English players can do when coached. Magnifies the Hodgery of this shambles.
  • Options

I do wonder if some bookies will stop offering "cash out" options, and we will have to "cash out" the old fashioned way via betfair.
    As long as it's other punters losing out rather than Betfair they won't change it, hopefully.
  • Options
    JackW said:

ToryJim said:

Chortle

Titter ....

Don't be mean ;)
  • Options
    I am not trying to argue that it was other than a dire performance. We should fear Costa Rica, they want to come top...

Well I wrote "at a World Cup Final". Hodgson was also chosen because of his tournament experience.....
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Thierry Henri made a very good point that Costa Rica play as a team and England do not. That comes right back to the Manager, his selections, tactics and motivation.

England looked like Roy Hodgson's Fantasy League team -- his favourite players picked with no thought as to how they'd play together or even whether each position was filled exactly once.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@FalseFlag, @MrJones

No higher than other British countries and immigration was restricted to Europeans mostly. Britain has never had mass immigration until the post war period marking our decline. The US was a major power in colonial Times, it's how they won independence. Initially the US restricted immigration to Europeans Christians and only saw mass immigration in the 1850s and pre the 1920 restriction act which favoured limited immigration from NW Europe. The US has only begun it's decline with the 1965 immigration act. Actually Ben Franklin believed US high living standards were due to few labourers but plentiful land, something immigration reverses.

How come East Asia is the richest part of the world but has and does have no immigration at all?
    Singapore is the richest country in South East Asia, with a GDP per head equivalent better than the US. It is also has some of the highest immigration levels in the world. 43% of the people in Singapore are immigrants.

China has been an immigration story too, of course. Historially it (like Russia) had internal passports. These internal passports existed for the same reason you, and other supporters of vested interests and opponents of human freedom, support restrictions on human beings going to where work is, and businesses employing who they want: because it was in the narrow interests of a few people.

One of the major reasons for the growth of China has been allowing immigration - i.e. allowing workers to go where the work is.

Of course, you are happy to go and buy a cellphone made in Korea or China. Your narrow and alleged support for the British worker stops at buying goods actually made in the UK.

It's OK for you to personally discriminate against British workers by buying goods made by foreign workers. But god forbid anyone should discriminate against a British worker by getting a haircut from a Pole.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

International football is only one area that the UK are not competitive.

As with British industry, the problem is management, not the workers.
  • Options
    At long last, England football has been found out. We've not flattered ourselves, as we have in the past by sneaking out of a fairly easy group, and then saved face by losing on penalties. This time, we've been humiliated. I think we should be scared by Costa Rica.
    I genuinely don't know where we go from here. Sacking Hodgson won't improve us. Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard retiring from the international game won't change is into World beaters overnight.
    There's just nothing on the horizon.
    One of the things that really bugged me last night was straight after the final whistle, ITV cut to an ad break, and it was full of England players selling themselves. Rooney in body armour flogging Samsung, Hart flogging dandruff shampoo, trading on their footballing prowess.
    The landlord at my local reckons he will lose a fortune, now that England are out. Let's hope Rooney, Gerrard et al lose out too.s
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    rcs1000 said:

@FalseFlag, @MrJones

1. America was empty (industrially speaking)
    2. open door != actual mass immigration

The main point though is the entirely self-evident one. There's a cut off point for adding to the national finances so the national finances can't possibly be improved by importing millions of extra people if the bulk of those people are paid below that cut-off point (even if none of the extra infrastructure needed to maintain the existing level is built).

It's simple arithmetic.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

Chortle

Titter ....

Don't be mean ;)
    Duly admonished ....

Anyway ....

Question - What's the difference between the England Football team and a teabag ?

Answer - The tea bag stays in the cup longer ....

Dons tin hat and scuttles for cover ....

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,838
    @Socrates

When women are banned from driving a car, forced to walk several steps behind their husbands, and forced to wear the hijab, Syria will have had just a taste of 'equivalence' with Saudi Arabia. Which incidentally, is exactly the nightmarish type of Sharia state that the vast majority of rebels wanted to create. As for it 'now' being as bad, firstly it isn't, secondly Syria is in the grip of a civil war, which is why it's farcical that this 'killing his own people' line is still trotted out by Hague and the like with a straight face -um yes?

My sources include RT, PressTV, the Friendsofsyria blog, NSNBC.me, Debka.org and many more, added to my standard reading matter of The Telegraph. But more importantly than that, I am aware of the agenda of each news source, and I glean what I can from each whilst dismissing the chaff. It seems that you would never take a piece of citizen journalism seriously, which in this day and age I'm afraid is asking to be ill informed. The video that I provided is not a broadcast documentary, but it is produced by and featuring professional journalists and I consider the findings to be beyond dispute. If you do feel like watching it, just google 'Syria Manufacturing Dissent'.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

For anyone interested in the Tour de France and lives around Sheffield, at Meadowhall, they have a display and mini shop commemorating the Grand Depart.

Is downstairs near the Ladbrokes and o2 shop, near t'statues

There's a TdF shop in Leeds on Albion St too.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

@FalseFlag, @MrJones

The main point though is the entirely self-evident one. There's a cut off point for adding to the national finances so the national finances can't possibly be improved by importing millions of extra people if the bulk of those people are paid below that cut-off point (even if none of the extra infrastructure needed to maintain the existing level is built).

It's simple arithmetic.
    More than empty, vastly empty.
    Just look at the population density of the USA from 1776 till today.
    The period of mass settlement there (the wild west) ended only in 1890.
    Slavery there was also the symptom of a lack of man power.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    We do still have some incredible athletes,even as I post,Steve Birkinshaw is about to complete an amazing challenge,in a few hours he will finish an epic run,after nearly 7 days of almost non stop running,he will complete a circuit of the Lake District,summitting every peak mentioned in the Wainwright books. The previous record of 7 days and 1 hour was down to Joss Naylor,many years ago.
    This is a truly amazing demonstration of determination and endurance,perhaps our football team could use some lessons. http://stevebirkinshaw-wainwright2014.blogspot.co.uk/
    I havedone many extreme runs,including a 7 day epic,but believe me,this is exceptional.
  • Options

Good afternoon all and I ask myself what wrong has Ilkley done to deserve being descended upon by a strange bunch of folks who would bet on their granny winning a game of shove penny!

"what wrong has Ilkley done to deserve being descended upon by a strange bunch of folks who would bet their granny on winning a game of shove penny!", surely?!

p.s. Shove penny's a bit extravagant, no?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2014

At long last, England football has been found out. We've not flattered ourselves, as we have in the past by sneaking out of a fairly easy group, and then saved face by losing on penalties. This time, we've been humiliated. I think we should be scared by Costa Rica.
    I genuinely don't know where we go from here. Sacking Hodgson won't improve us. Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard retiring from the international game won't change is into World beaters overnight.
    One of the things that really bugged me last night was straight after the final whistle, ITV cut to an ad break, and it was full of England players selling themselves. Rooney in body armour flogging Samsung, Hart flogging dandruff shampoo, trading on their footballing prowess.
    The landlord at my local reckons he will lose a fortune, now that England are out. Let's hope Rooney, Gerrard et al lose out too.s

How many times will it be mentioned?
    We need a UK team not 4 weak teams that go no where.
  • Options
    Hitler hears Uruguay England score. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi3kJKz7jh8
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Speedy said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

@FalseFlag, @MrJones

It's simple arithmetic.
    More than empty, vastly empty.
    Just look at the population density of the USA from 1776 till today.
    The period of mass settlement there (the wild west) ended only in 1890.
    Slavery there was also the symptom of a lack of man power.
    yeah i was meaning ye olde apache
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Speedy said:

That would just be a way of getting Gareth Bale into the England team.

Edit: and Sir Alex as manager. It's sounding better all the time.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Size isn't everything as Mrs TSE noted on her honeymoon.

Costa Rica refers - Population - All presently drunk close to a Brazilian football stadium and a lonely Pekingese called Eric left at home for defence of the republic.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098

England looked like Roy Hodgson's Fantasy League team -- his favourite players picked with no thought as to how they'd play together or even whether each position was filled exactly once.
    I suspect Roy's fantasy team would have Lambert and Milner in it and maybe Kevin Davies who he signed for big money at Blackburn. However he had to pick a whole series of players who aren't really his type.
  • Options

I think that's a bit harsh and an over-reaction. Overall, England outplayed both Italy and Uruguay but there aren't any points for possession or territory and both teams made England pay for being poor in and around both penalty areas - too few chances taken and too few given.

It's an extremely tough group (all the more so given how Costa Rica have played). Going into the tournament, Uruguay, Italy and England were all in the top 10 on Fifa rankings and yes, England have lost two games, narrowly. Disappointing to be sure but not a disaster.

As for where the game goes from here, more investment in youth. I really don't know why clubs are willing to spend tens of millions on a single player who may flop or get injured when a fraction of the money could produce quality homegrown talent. (Well, I do - it's the clubs chasing instant success but the two shouldn't be alternatives, especially for chairmen and chief executives who should take a longer view).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Good evening, everyone.

F1: Perez's 5 place grid penalty stands:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27950475
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    rcs1000 said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@FalseFlag, @MrJones

Singapore is the richest country in South East Asia, with a GDP per head equivalent better than the US. It is also has some of the highest immigration levels in the world. 43% of the people in Singapore are immigrants.

China has been an immigration story too, of course. Historially it (like Russia) had internal passports. These internal passports existed for the same reason you, and other supporters of vested interests and opponents of human freedom, support restrictions on human beings going to where work is, and businesses employing who they want: because it was in the narrow interests of a few people.

One of the major reasons for the growth of China has been allowing immigration - i.e. allowing workers to go where the work is.

Of course, you are happy to go and buy a cellphone made in Korea or China. Your narrow and alleged support for the British worker stops at buying goods actually made in the UK.

It's OK for you to personally discriminate against British workers by buying goods made by foreign workers. But god forbid anyone should discriminate against a British worker by getting a haircut from a Pole.
    China had (has?) a system whereby its citizens could move to another district but did not qualify for any benefits unless they had official recognition.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    JackW said:

ToryJim said:

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

Chortle

Titter ....

Don't be mean ;)
    Duly admonished ....

Anyway ....

Question - What's the difference between the England Football team and a teabag ?

Too true, Jack. First round exits being a subject I understand Scots are experts on?
  • Options

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

Chortle

Titter ....

Don't be mean ;)
    Duly admonished ....

Anyway ....

Too true, Jack. I believe Scots are experts at being knocked out in the first round (when they qualify)?
    We didn't qualify to make England look good .... as a plan it's not quite found its mark yet !!

• Options
    How long is it since Senderos came on?
  • Options
    On topic

The Flying Duck at Ilkley looks as though it could do with a second floor.

Perhaps the PB Tories could club together, buy the freehold, obtain planning consent for an upward extension, then trade out in time to pay for the drinks.

I'm on.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    If @Socrates is still on,may I apologize for my 'Bollocks' comment towards you from last night.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

Chortle

Titter ....

Don't be mean ;)
    Duly admonished ....

Anyway ....

Too true, Jack. I believe Scots are experts at being knocked out in the first round (when they qualify)?
    We didn't qualify to make England look good .... as a plan it's not quite found its mark yet !!

It does make a novel change from going out on penalties, it has to be said. It's a whole different level of disappointment: a slow seeping away of hope rather than the bitter low that the intensity of penalties brings.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

JackW said:

ToryJim said:

Chortle

Titter ....

Don't be mean ;)
    Duly admonished ....

Anyway ....

It does make a novel change from going out on penalties, it has to be said. It's a whole different level of disappointment: a slow seeping away of hope rather than the bitter low that the intensity of penalties brings.
    At least we haven't had to put up with the usual levels of tabloid jingoism.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,278

Speedy said:

That would just be a way of getting Gareth Bale into the England team.

Edit: and Sir Alex as manager. It's sounding better all the time.
    After Sept 18th???????
  • Options
    Bloody Hell

Ed Miliband is to be told by Labour frontbenchers that he will have to resign as leader if he loses the general election next year, as they move to prevent him following the example of Neil Kinnock by leading the party to two consecutive defeats.

Amid increasing concern that the Labour leader is failing to connect with voters, MPs across the party are saying Labour would need a fresh start if Miliband were defeated. "Ed really cannot stay on if he loses – that really would not work," one frontbencher said. "He has to go if we lose," another frontbencher said.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/20/ed-miliband-must-go-lose-election-labour-frontbencher
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, surely it's a given if he fails, he goes?

Surprised they're spelling it out.

Still off to Ilkley?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, surely it's a given if he fails, he goes?

Surprised they're spelling it out.

Still off to Ilkley?

Well Kinnock stayed on after defeat, and Yes going to Ilkley
  • Options
    Not a legal chap, but surely it's 'summoned'?:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27949867

"Ed Balls summonsed over car crash"
This discussion has been closed.