Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB gathering – Ilkley, Yorkshire: Monday July 7th 2014 star

SystemSystem Posts: 11,762
edited June 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB gathering – Ilkley, Yorkshire: Monday July 7th 2014 starting 6.30pm

As has been mentioned several times on the site the next PB get-together will be at the Flying Duck pub in the heart of Ilkley in Yorkshire. It’s in the town centre not far from the station. At that time of the evening on a Monday night it should be reasonably quiet.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Do PBers bring their own clogs, cloth caps and whippets or are they provided ?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Osborne's 2010 financial projections have turned out to be remarkably accurate to date

Oh, Avery!

You should have the intellectual confidence to defend Osborne's record for what it is. Throwing this kind of claim into the mix makes it seem like you think what he actually managed wasnt that impressive.
    Intellectual self-confidence is a left-wing concept, Neil.

I would like to see you apply your intellectual self-confidence to Osborne's other (more objective) fiscal target, Avery.
    The secondary target?

Although the OBR are still predicting (March 2014 EFO) that Osborne will miss the secondary target by a year, I think there is a reasonable chance (say 40%) that he will make it.

See the current trend. This looks very much as if the ratio is topping out at the moment. It won't require much additional GDP growth over latest OBR forecast (which was conservatively estimating 0.5% growth per quarter for this fiscal year) or much improvement in receipts affecting PSND ex for the target to be met this fiscal year.
    Public sector net debt             
    as a percentage of GDP
    at market prices

2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
    /11 /12 /13 /14 /15

April 56.5 65.9 70.1 73.8 75.7
    May 57.2 66.4 70.4 74.1 76.1
    June 58.6 67.7 71.8 74.8 ..
    July 60.4 67.2 71.2 74.1 ..
    August 60.8 68.1 71.6 73.8 ..
    September 62.3 68.5 72.8 74.6 ..
    October 62.4 68.3 72.8 74.1 ..
    November 63.4 68.9 73.5 74.7 ..
    December 65.0 70.5 74.8 75.8 ..
    January 64.0 69.2 73.0 74.7 ..
    February 64.2 69.5 72.9 74.8 ..
    March 65.9 71.2 74.2 76.1 ..
    The problem however is that it is all change in debt presentation from September 2014 onwards when ESA2010 and other major changes are due to be implemented by the ONS. Under the new methods PSNB ex is due to rise around £120 bn, so by the time of the GE this target may be lost in translation.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The day after the TdF leaves Yorkshire..
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,072
    I plan to attend, I have a new suit and shoes I want to début.
  • Options
    Mike - it looks a most attractive venue, but then Ilkley is a most attractive town.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Flat caps and whippets are provided, but only if you can sound like a proper Yorkshireman.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    JackW said:

You should tell that joke loudly in the pub.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    "At that time of the evening on a Monday night it should be reasonably quiet."

Oh dear. The regulars are in for a shock.
  • Options

I plan to attend, I have a new suit and shoes I want to début.

Lord help Ilkley !!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Anorak said:

JackW said:

I once told a (pro) Yorkshire joke in a pub down South, well it was more of a chat up line.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The Flying Duck looks charming and by all accounts is top rated for their selection of traditional Yorkshire Dales real ale. – I hope the gathering doesn’t lower the tone…! ; -)
  • Options

Anorak said:

JackW said:

I once told a (pro) Yorkshire joke down South, well it was more of a chat up line.
    You married a little late in life then ?!?

• Options
    For anyone interested in the Tour de France and lives around Sheffield, at Meadowhall, they have a display and mini shop commemorating the Grand Depart.

Is downstairs near the Ladbrokes and o2 shop, near t'statues
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Anorak said:

JackW said:

I once told a (pro) Yorkshire joke in a pub down South, well it was more of a chat up line.
    I would recommend "American Werewolf in London" to all those planning to attend - particularly the first 30 mins.
  • Options
    What the feck did Matt Prior just do then?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    How is everyone doing in the test :)

Have £30 of green on the Lanka at the moment. Fiver, £13 red Eng, Draw respectively
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Anorak said:

JackW said:

I would recommend "American Werewolf in London" to all those planning to attend - particularly the first 30 mins.
    Behave you, we're more Royston Vasey.
  • Options
    @THescreamingEagles How will you be getting there out of interest ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@THescreamingEagles How will you be getting there out of interest ?

Car, I'm staying in Leeds on the Monday night.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    In the 1960s my brother used to get his speakers from the Wharfdale Wireless Works.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Heather Watson is 3-0 down at the start of her semi-final against Madison Keys at Eastbourne.
  • Options
    2 in 2 balls for England at Headingley.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT @NickPalmer

I remember some years ago staying at the Hotel Marina in Denmark, which turned out to be where the Danish national team (then very successful) were temporarily based. My wife was alarmed, fearing that the night would be filled with riotous parties, etc. We didn't hear a sound, and the only sign of their presence was that all the copies of the broadsheet newspapers had been taken next morning. My wife told the receptionist that she was relieved - the receptionist looked bemused, and said that surely the team was just behaving normally, like any other guests.

We flew to LA last year with Spurs - they were perfectly charming and nice, albeit (accordingly to my wife!) a little over manicured...

Very considerate fellow passengers - the coaches entertained my 18 month old daughter by pulling faces at her for much of the flight
  • Options
    Italy 1.59
    Costa Rica 7.2
    Draw 4.2
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

JackW said:

Flat caps and whippets are provided, but only if you can sound like a proper Yorkshireman.
    But you can't ask for them directly. You just have to go up to the barman and use your broadest Tyke accent to order a beer and comment on how the weather is.
  • Options

Anorak said:

JackW said:

Don't leave us hanging!
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good afternoon all and I ask myself what wrong has Ilkley done to deserve being descended upon by a strange bunch of folks who would bet on their granny winning a game of shove penny!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Anorak said:

JackW said:

Don't leave us hanging!
    Pretty Southern Lady: You're accent is funny, you're not from round here are you?

Me: I grew up in Sheffield

PSL: That's Yorkshire?

Me: Yes, have you got any Yorkshire in you ?

PSL: No

Me: Well would you like some Yorkshire in you ?

It's a miracle I'm not assaulted more often.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited June 2014
    @Easterross

Most of the Tories will have already sold their grannies.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    How long is the train journey from Ilkley to Bournemouth? I'm asking for a friend.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Neil said:

How long is the train journey from Ilkley to Bournemouth? I'm asking for a friend.

Arf. ; )
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    AveryLP said:

FPT

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Osborne's 2010 financial projections have turned out to be remarkably accurate to date

Oh, Avery!

You should have the intellectual confidence to defend Osborne's record for what it is. Throwing this kind of claim into the mix makes it seem like you think what he actually managed wasnt that impressive.
    Intellectual self-confidence is a left-wing concept, Neil.

I would like to see you apply your intellectual self-confidence to Osborne's other (more objective) fiscal target, Avery.
    The secondary target?

[...]

The problem however is that it is all change in debt presentation from September 2014 onwards when ESA2010 and other major changes are due to be implemented by the ONS. Under the new methods PSNB ex is due to rise around £120 bn, so by the time of the GE this target may be lost in translation.
    Quick but important correction. It is Public Sector Net Debt (excluding financial interventions) not Borrowing which is due to rise by £120 bn in Septenber 2014.

• Options
    Neil said:

About 4 to 6 hrs from Leeds, just one connection.

Leeds to Ilkley is about 30mins.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,747
    Neil said:

Surely somewhere like Scarborough or Whitby is t'local equivalent...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Jeremy Vine ‏@theJeremyVine 35m
    Elderly lady rings @BBCRadio2 upset about #England, “but pleased as a Liverpool fan because it shows Gerrard & Suarez working well together”

Enjoy the drinks at Ilkley - I hope the beer is good.
  • Options
    Sack Roy

The Sun - Football ‏@TheSunFootball 1m

Well that backfired, Roy.

Suarez: "It wasn’t revenge but in England they talked about the injury and the coach had words that annoyed (me)"
  • Options
    Luis Suarez nearly ended up being coached by Roy, Roy was sacked by Liverpool at the start of January 2011, and we signed Suarez at the end of January 2011.
  • Options
    Fieldwork is a over week old

Voting intentions poll shows LAB 35%, CON 29%, UKIP 23%, LIB DEM 6%, OTHER 8%

A new TNS voting intentions poll shows Labour would get 35% of the vote in a General Election - 6 percentage points ahead of the Conservative Party (29%).

Support for UKIP is high (23%) following their success at the European Elections. UKIP’s challenge may be sustaining this support as a General Election approaches and issues other than Europe become part of the political debate.

The Liberal Democrats have a 6% share, similar to the vote they achieved in the recent European Elections, which would place them in a distant fourth place at a General Election.

http://www.tnsglobal.com/uk/press-release/labour-lead-conservative-party-six-points
  • Options

Sack Roy

Suarez: "It wasn’t revenge but in England they talked about the injury and the coach had words that annoyed (me)"

Have you seen Mark Lawrenson's Mirror article on the 16th ?
  • Options
    BBC reporting now reduced to asking people on a train their political opinions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27871231
  • Options
    Naomi Newstead selected for the Conservatives in Camberwell & Peckham:

twitter.com/Cam_PeckhamCA/status/479345707435163648/photo/1
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    TNS Changes since their last poll in Nov 2013

Lab minus 3, Con minus 1, LD minus 2, UKIP plus 11
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Naomi Newstead selected for the Conservatives in Camberwell & Peckham:

twitter.com/Cam_PeckhamCA/status/479345707435163648/photo/1

Good luck, Naomi. You're going to need it.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited June 2014
    An necessary post, so deleted.
  • Options

TNS Changes since their last poll in Nov 2013

Lab minus 3, Con minus 1, LD minus 2, UKIP plus 11

Those figures look remarkably like the unweighted raw figures of an average Populus.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sack Roy

No
  • Options

Neil said:

About six hours, prices (one way) seem to vary between £43 and £128 for no obvious reason.
    I'm advising JohnO to sit this one out. God knows where he'd end up.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

About six hours, prices (one way) seem to vary between £43 and £128 for no obvious reason.
    I'm advising JohnO to sit this one out. God knows where he'd end up.
    Will you be coming to Ilkley, we could look after JohnO
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Pulpstar said:

Sack Roy

No
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/luis-suarez-hasnt-played-football-3703933

It's even better than I thought when I first pointed it out on the 18th as a potential hostage to fortune:

"But a few of their players are either not good enough or look as though their best years are now behind them."

*Cough

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sack Roy

No
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/luis-suarez-hasnt-played-football-3703933
    Christ, that has to be the worst predictive article since Sion Simon's magnum opus.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,666
    Shame it's in an area of the country I cannot easily get to :(
  • Options
    @TSE

Unfortunately for me I will be kicking my heels in the godforsaken town of Frankfurt on that date. There are few places on this earth as boring as Frankfurt.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

Unfortunately for me I will be kicking my heels in the godforsaken town of Frankfurt on that date. There are few places on this earth as boring as Frankfurt.

I don't know. Much of the rest of Germany is even worse.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

Booooooo.

Clearly you've never been to Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,496
    edited June 2014

Neil said:

@TSE

Booooooo.

With this in it?! [remove space in https - not sure how to quote it otherwise without the pic coming up]
    htt ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Gk3emWTm4

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited June 2014
    Carnyx said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Booooooo.

With this in it?! [remove space in https - not sure how to quote it otherwise without the pic coming up]
    You can make a link with a simple bit of HTML code.

Quote my post to see the code used.
  • Options
    "Ofsted chief attacks 'mediocrity and failure' in comprehensives"

"Ofsted: state school pupils 'under-represented' in top sport"

Two headlines from this afternoon's Telegraph. Clearly there can't be a connection between them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Booooooo.

Just delete the https://
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    WRT football straw clutching.

I seem to remember our needing Israel to win in unlikely circumstances against Russia and their doing so, only for us to lose at home to Croatia and go out! What price two Italian wins and our then failing to beat the Costa Ricans?

That gloomy prospect notwithstanding, every Englishman will be a honorary Italian tonight. If the Azzuri do this business, you have to say that England have a chance.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    edited June 2014
    TGOHF said:

That featured Rik Mayall (RIP).

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/07FdVcspOfQ/maxresdefault.jpg
  • Options
    Neil said:

@TSE

I was in Munster earlier this week.... And Visbek the week before...

If you look at wikipedia's history for Visbek, nothing of note has happened since AD855. At least Munster had a little rebellion in the 1500s...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,496

Carnyx said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Booooooo.

You can make a link with a simple bit of HTML code.

Quote my post to see the code used.

Carnyx said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Booooooo.

Just delete the https://

Ah! Thanks to you both.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Just checking up on P2. Nothing too exciting, though mildly surprised Alonso was third again.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited June 2014
    Charles said:

Neil said:

@TSE

If you look at wikipedia's history for Visbek, nothing of note has happened since AD855. At least Munster had a little rebellion in the 1500s...
    Do you mean Münster?

Both Munster and Münster appear to have had rebellions in the 1500s, but I would be surprised at anyone saying that Munster was a boring place.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Charles said:

Neil said:

@TSE

Do you mean Münster?

Both Munster and Münster appear to have had rebellions in the 1500s, but I would be surprised at anyone saying that Munster was a boring place.
    Münster

Until now, I didn't know how to do ulmauts on PB...

I spend far too much of my time in rural Germany.

• Options
    Well once again I join the ranks of the unemployed having been made redundant :( at least I get a decent pay off and hopefully the market is sufficiently buoyant to locate alternate employment rapidly. Bit of a buggeration though.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Well once again I join the ranks of the unemployed having been made redundant :( at least I get a decent pay off and hopefully the market is sufficiently buoyant to locate alternate employment rapidly. Bit of a buggeration though.

"At risk" myself at the moment, so I know how you feel!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Good luck!
    Eek, I'd have been fine if I'd have been willing to relocate to Newcastle but I wasn't.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, my heartfelt sympathies. Whilst not unemployed, things are tight, so I appreciate how difficult things may be for you.
  • Options
    Why is Frankfurt so boring? I've often thought of going there but may have to reconsider.
  • Options

Mr. Jim, my heartfelt sympathies. Whilst not unemployed, things are tight, so I appreciate how difficult things may be for you.

Thanks Mr Dancer, I'd suspected for a while just timing was more imminent than I realised. Anyway I have a number of plans so who knows.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Neil Hamilton says he intends to stand for UKIP at GE2015. No seats mentioned, but maybe he might choose his old seat of Tatton where George Osborne is MP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10835981/Neil-Hamilton-plots-return-to-Commons-as-MP-in-2015.html
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    ToryJim said:

Good luck! I know how it feels.

• Options
    182-5 interesting test match. I should have laid the draw more at 3.5 though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,383
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Neil Hamilton says he intends to stand for UKIP at GE2015. No seats mentioned, but maybe he might choose his old seat of Tatton where George Osborne is MP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10835981/Neil-Hamilton-plots-return-to-Commons-as-MP-in-2015.html

George Osborne couldn't hope for anything better tbh.

Hamilton would get thrashed, I've driven through Tatton and it strikes me as the sort of place where UKIP would bomb. Add in Hamilton and he might be struggling to beat the Lib Dems there.
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    AndyJS said:

Nasty, sleazy UKIP on the rise?
  • Options
    @ToryJim

Best wishes.
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    Socrates said:

Neil said:

@TSE

I don't know. Much of the rest of Germany is even worse.
    Southern Germany is great, Stuttgart, the Black Forest, Fussen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein_Castle (off on holiday there in July)
  • Options
    F1: just seen a Benson tweet. Apparently race simulation average times were 0.04s different between the Mercedes drivers, and the best of the rest were nearly a second slower.

Should take such numbers with a pinch of salt, but does look very much like a Silver Arrow duel.
  • Options
    A better choice for Hamilton might be Carmarthen where he grew up, according to Wikipedia.
  • Options
    Looks like Sweden is benefiting from diversity and multiculturalism as much as we are:

http://www.thelocal.se/20140620/swedish-school-class-genitally-mutilated
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @ToryJim - sorry to hear that and good luck to you. I suspect you'll be in demand.

Best wishes sir
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Good luck!
    Eek, I'd have been fine if I'd have been willing to relocate to Newcastle but I wasn't.
    Relocate to Newcastle or lose your job. Tricky. Good luck with finding a new position and chin up in the meantime.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Good luck!
    I have to relocate to Frankfurt!!
  • Options
    Hmm. Massa's odds to be winner without Hamilton/Rosberg have lengthened from 9 to 10. I think that's a mistake from Ladbrokes, but there we are.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,383
    Let nobody say David Cameron doesn't do his bit in marginals - here he is with all of 9 Broxtowe residents, Fighting The Pothole Menace:

http://bramcotetoday.org.uk/2014/06/20/broxtowe-residents-meet-the-prime-minister-to-talk-about-potholes-in-their-area/
  • Options
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Good luck!
    Dear God. What were the Geneva conventions for if not to outlaw such barbarity?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Mr. Charles, warum nicht?

I wish more computer games came with German translations. Happens much less often these days. How else are young fellows meant to learn a Sturmgewehr is an assault rifle (from Fear Effect) or Heiligkeit means holiness, or Zelt is a tent (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Neil Hamilton would be bonkers to stand in Tatton.

As an ex resident of Styal I can't see UKIP doing well here and he's not popular here either.

Plus why would he want to stand against the most UK wide popular politician that is Osborne. He'd be better of standing against a toxic politician like Ed Miliband
  • Options
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Good luck!
    If I spoke German I'd consider it. There are worse places to end up.
  • Options
    Best of luck Mr Jim
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    An in-depth preview of Portsmouth South from the ElectionData blog:

http://www.election-data.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-constituency-of-portsmouth-south.html
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT:
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 20m
    New TNS-BMRB poll has
    LAB 35%, CON 29%, UKIP 23%, LIB DEM 6%
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    MikeK said:

FPT:
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 20m
    New TNS-BMRB poll has
    LAB 35%, CON 29%, UKIP 23%, LIB DEM 6%

23% is a stunning result for UKIP nearly a month after the Euro election.

Are TNS-BMRB a full member of the British Polling Council?
  • Options
    Mr. K, I find the UKIP number somewhat difficult to believe, to be honest. I was going to write the same about the Lib Dems, but it's in line with other pollsters.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Mugabe backwards is 'E ba gum
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,166
    edited June 2014
    Merkel says Council President job could go to an outsider, from a non-Euro country such as Denmark. I can think of another non-Euro country such as Denmark which happens to be in need of a lollipop.

But they really need to send Hague or somebody serious to do it. If Cameron didn't trust Lansley with a meaningful job it's hard to believe the other 27 PMs are going to.
This discussion has been closed.