Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories get to within 2% in the June ComRes online poll for

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,007
    Now I know you PBers all like "Three Lions", but this is still my favourite Ingerland song - from 24 years ago, coinciding with our best performance since '66 :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,415
    From the Sunday Times

NICK CLEGG will seek to heal the wounds of the Liberal Democrats’ disastrous election results last month by handing peerages to key figures who lost their seats.

He is thought to be lining up Sir Graham Watson, the former MEP for South West England, for a peerage along with senior councillors such as Richard Kemp, the former leader of Liverpool council.

The peerages are expected to be awarded in next year's dissolution honours list which will mark the end of the parliament. Clegg is also expected to hand peerages to departing MPs including Sir Menzies Campbell, Sir Alan Beith, Sir Malcolm Bruce and Don Foster.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2014
    more alleged ISIS atrocities

twitter.com/p_vanostaeyen/status/477919783640662016/photo/1
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sam Freedman ‏@Samfr 7m

UKIP must be really confused by Raheem Sterling. An immigrant but named after the pound...
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    It's rather unlikely I can be a better judge than the worldwide betting markets on something like this, but Italy at 3.45 looks much too big.
    I'm on, anyway. Plus had a nibble on 0-3.
  • Options

From the Sunday Times

NICK CLEGG will seek to heal the wounds of the Liberal Democrats’ disastrous election results last month by handing peerages to key figures who lost their seats.

He is thought to be lining up Sir Graham Watson, the former MEP for South West England, for a peerage along with senior councillors such as Richard Kemp, the former leader of Liverpool council.

The peerages are expected to be awarded in next year's dissolution honours list which will mark the end of the parliament. Clegg is also expected to hand peerages to departing MPs including Sir Menzies Campbell, Sir Alan Beith, Sir Malcolm Bruce and Don Foster.

Blimey - just how many gongs are in his gift? Don't give up yet Mike.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105

From the Sunday Times

As long as he doesn't go all Lloyd George ;)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,062

Now I know you PBers all like "Three Lions", but this is still my favourite Ingerland song - from 24 years ago, coinciding with our best performance since '66 :)

New order = legends.

Time for everyone to show true faith and Italy the run round and round.
  • Options

New order = legends.

I'm disappointed you didn't put in a reference to a Bizarre Love Triangle.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Don't know if any of you can get RTE, but Giles and Dunphy are scathing of England already, Rooney unfufilled potential, Jagielka not international class and Gerrard over the hill.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Italy - remember World War II 1943! Run away run away run away!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I hope all those Scot Nats are supporting England tonight.
  • Options

From the Sunday Times

Indeed, I'm pressing Dave to give JohnO a peerage as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sunil: are you a Hindi speaker? There's someone on VoteUK who's looking for assistance:

http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/4372/modern-languages?page=1
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    AndyJS

"I hope all those Scot Nats are supporting England tonight."

Why? Have you already given up hope of Lab, LD, Con & "Couldnae gie a damn" supporters from Scotland supporting England?

I'll support a fellow member of the Union tonight. Whether that turns out to be England or Italy will depend on who plays the better football.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

An overwhelming majority of young voters wants Britain to maintain its tradition of offering sanctuary for refugees, according to a poll that challenges the political belief that an anti-asylum ticket will woo the electorate.

Eight out of 10 people who will be eligible to vote for the first time next May said they were proud of Britain's legacy of protecting people fleeing violence, war and persecution, while three-quarters urged the government to maintain the UK's reputation for offering a haven for people, particularly children.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/14/yougov-first-time-voters-refugees?CMP=twt_fd

And how are you actually going to get them out to vote?

I've been watching school kids and youngsters recently, purely watching interactions between them. The major changes that I've noticed is that there are more connections between the sexes that are not of a sexual nature (no, I am not stupid enough to think that there is no "hanky panky" going on, I can remember my own hormones reactions at their age and that will not have changed) but that colour/religion/sex is not a major factor in their relationships.

Technology has brought about major cultural changes in our youngsters and I'm really not sure that our political elite in their Westminster/Holyrood/Cardiff/Brussels-Strasbourg/Washington/Moscow etc. bubbles have realised it. When these youngsters get older and take over the reins of power, then I think there will be changes that will be totally out our wildest dreams.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

From the Sunday Times

Didn't the Coalition agreement require them to appoint Lords in proportion to what parties achieved at the last election?

I'm still awaiting the two dozen that UKIP are due. What's Cameron doing there?
  • Options
    edited June 2014

New order = legends.

I'm disappointed you didn't put in a reference to a Bizarre Love Triangle.
    Every time I think of you
    I feel shot right through with a bolt of [Tory] blue
  • Options

From the Sunday Times

Mike is already in line for an OGH :)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    oldnat said:

AndyJS

"I hope all those Scot Nats are supporting England tonight."

Why? Have you already given up hope of Lab, LD, Con & "Couldnae gie a damn" supporters from Scotland supporting England?

I'll support a fellow member of the Union tonight. Whether that turns out to be England or Italy will depend on who plays the better football.

I thought the Scottish nationalist line was that the English and Scots were close enough that we wouldn't be foreigners even in the case of independence? Yet now you're telling us we're as foreign as Italians...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,052
    Socrates said:

Oh, I didn't realise you were the sort of muppet that argued with faux outrage. Such types aren't worth debating with, as they just try to dodge the facts. Any student of history knows death tolls in places like China are far higher than elsewhere on population alone. That does not mean I am defending communism.

We appear to be retreading old ground. I explicitly stated that by replacement of God, I didn't mean rejection of the supernatural. Not sure how I can make it any clearer.

I was baffled rather than outraged by your ridiculous arguments about population. The losses of people in China during the Cultural Revolution and after it took place under Communism, and occurred against a background of Confucianism, ancestor worship, Taoism etc. I cannot see mass cannibalism occurring as it did amongst people imbued with concern for the hereafter. By contrast, the British annexed, fought over, subjugated, exploited, and controlled the vast and hugely populous Indian subcontinent in the 19th century. This colonial rule was not without bloodletting and brutality, but the systematic slaughter of millions is notable by its absence.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    dodrade said:

Don't know if any of you can get RTE, but Giles and Dunphy are scathing of England already, Rooney unfufilled potential, Jagielka not international class and Gerrard over the hill.

Pair of muppets, Giles was one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen. Not hard, but dirty, and there is a big difference.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,226

From the Sunday Times

Sound man. Remind him that Elmbridge produced the highest Tory share of any Borough in the land in the Euros. If that doesn't merit a life barony....
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    AndyJS said:

I hope all those Scot Nats are supporting England tonight.

Supporting one team of no hopers is bad enough, now you want them to follow another set.
  • Options
    @ianbirrell: Be warned: Tony Blair, the man with absolutely no shame, has written a long essay absolving himself of any guilt over events in Iraq
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@ianbirrell: Be warned: Tony Blair, the man with absolutely no shame, has written a long essay absolving himself of any guilt over events in Iraq

He's on Marr tomorrow morning - I think I'll have a lie-in :)
  • Options
    Biggest win since 1966 coming up go Cameron!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

ToryJim said:

He's on Marr tomorrow morning - I think I'll have a lie-in :)
    Oh dear Lord
  • Options
    JohnO said:

From the Sunday Times

Sound man. Remind him that Elmbridge produced the highest Tory share of any Borough in the land in the Euros. If that doesn't merit a life barony....
    That deserves a Dukedom.
  • Options
    Come on, Ital...er, I mean England!

(Seems my Tebbit Chip is working fine :)
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    The most favourite YouTube video in Scotland tonight is, wait for it, yes even you OldNat, AndyJS and Socrates, clear your throats, have a good swallow of something alcoholic - you will need it believe me, and join in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ckV9QueXc
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    Socrates

Why would you consider the Italians as "foreigners", as if they are some alien species? They're so close to us that their Embassies will provide support for any UK citizen, as for their own. Just as UK Embassies will do for them.

That's what being in a Union means - mutual respect and support. Of course, those in Liverpool are not, therefore, bound to support a Manchester team!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    If playing football was like managing an economy, England would win 5-0.

St. George for England.
  • Options
    As long as England don't lose on penalties I'll be happy.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    And we have kick off, good luck England.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

As long as England don't lose on penalties I'll be happy.

Haha
  • Options
    Bugger me, I thought my 14/1 tip was a winner then.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If the candidates for next Tory leader are Boris and Theresa May, the correct choice is obvious to most people. Problem is the Tories have a history of making the wrong choice, as with Ken Clarke vs IDS in 2001.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Damn! I thought that was a goal!
  • Options

Bugger me, I thought my 14/1 tip was a winner then.

That was close.
  • Options
    The BBC graphics said goal!
  • Options
    Two chances already!
  • Options

Two chances already!

Both by Liverpool players.
  • Options
    Betfair odds have moved slightly in England's favour since the start of the match.
  • Options
    We need 'pouter and Basil to move the goalposts a little.
  • Options
    Err, no they won't.
    Socrates said:

Tory/UKIP 50%
    Progressives 41%

COA 39%
    LAB 34%

If the next government brings in PR, which is a possibility, the Tories will need to mend their fences with UKIP pretty quickly.
  • Options
    England going all Nigel Farage - dont want to go near a foreigner..
  • Options
    Only one winner tonight!

England totally dominating!!
  • Options
    What's the longest a match has gone without a goal so far in the tournament?
  • Options
    Goodness Phil Neville is sooo dull. His and David Moyes' team talks must have been like f@cking mogadon..
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What's the longest a match has gone without a goal so far in the tournament?

61 mins

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,280

An overwhelming majority of young voters wants Britain to maintain its tradition of offering sanctuary for refugees, according to a poll that challenges the political belief that an anti-asylum ticket will woo the electorate.

Eight out of 10 people who will be eligible to vote for the first time next May said they were proud of Britain's legacy of protecting people fleeing violence, war and persecution, while three-quarters urged the government to maintain the UK's reputation for offering a haven for people, particularly children.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/14/yougov-first-time-voters-refugees?CMP=twt_fd

That is good to see. Along with Overseas Aid I think Asylum to those who genuinely need it is a great sign of an advanced and enlightened democracy.

Indeed one of the arguments I have against uncontrolled migration from the EU is that it forces the government to toughen up on migration from elsewhere, including asylum, keeping out people who may have far more to offer or be in far greater need of help.
  • Options

Goodness Phil Neville is sooo dull. His and David Moyes' team talks must have been like f@cking mogadon..

You know what happened don't you.

The BBC head honchos said get Neville for the World Cup, and the recruitment guy failed.
  • Options
    We are actually looking not too bad.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,986
    I hope England don't regret missing these half chances. Good open game though.
  • Options
    4/1 for 0-0.
  • Options

You know what happened don't you.

The BBC head honchos said get Neville for the World Cup, and the recruitment guy failed.
    Phil Neville the new voice of the Dignitas satnav..
  • Options
    Never forget world war II Italy run away!
  • Options
    Half the population of Bedford is Italian, I wonder who they're supporting tonight.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Is there anyything wmore nerve wracking than watching England play in the World cup?

Hiding behind sofa here
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think its just that Italy changed ends at half time...
    Ave_it said:

Never forget world war II Italy run away!

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Floater said:

Is there anyything wmore nerve wracking than watching England play in the World cup?

Hiding behind sofa here

Yep - it's like watching Dr Who when aged 7..!
  • Options
    Bugger
  • Options
    Noooooo!
  • Options
    ooff - nice goal Italy
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,525
    England sold the dummy...
  • Options
    That set piece was just a little too artful for our boys.
  • Options
    Easy clearance missed by England about 45 secs before the goal.
  • Options
    Utter meltdown. Rooney/Gerrard contributing nothing typical scousers!
  • Options
    Bugger
  • Options
    England level.
  • Options
    Sturridge!!!
  • Options
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    What a goal!
  • Options
    F***K yeah!!!!!!
  • Options
    You beaut!
  • Options
    That's more bloody like it!!!!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    First half decent thing Rooney has done lovely goal.
  • Options
    All about the Liverpool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Goalllllllll
  • Options
    Have at it!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Someone badly injured - not sure who it is.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,133
    Oh ye of little faith!!!
  • Options
    Fish n’ chips 1 – pizza calzone 1 - And Rooney, pull your socks up.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

England Physio?????
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's Gary Lewin, the England physio

• Options
    edited June 2014

AndyJS said:

England Physio?????
    Yes, possibly a broken ankle. Maybe the England celebration was a bit over the top, to put it mildly.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

It's Gary Lewin, the England physio

Physio heal thyself?
  • Options
    Them Scousers need some Tory MP's, Ave_it......
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,133
    Argentina look the team to beat now. They're getting better and better without playing a game.
  • Options

Them Scousers need some Tory MP's, Ave_it......

Ed's doing his best.

• Options
    I wonder if both teams will dig in a bit. Quite tempted by 1-1 at this point.
  • Options
    If England could stop giving the ball away needlessly they wouldn't have had any problems.
  • Options
    England best team in the world!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If England could stop giving the ball away needlessly they wouldn't have had any problems.

I blame the pink booties some are wearing - spornosexuals?
  • Options
    That was quality from Jagielka brilliant defending
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Anyone who has backed 1-1 you can get 3.45 for over 2.5 goals but not much liquidity left
  • Options
  • Options

I've just watched the film Gravity.

That's 90 minutes of my life I won't be getting back.

I really enjoyed that film - just suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Dislocated ankle for Lewin. Ouch.
This discussion has been closed.