Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories get to within 2% in the June ComRes online poll for

Comments

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

Taxpayers' cash should not be used to fund faith schools, say voters

Labour wants talks on teaching of religion as poll shows 58% of the public urge abolition or axing of state funds

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jun/14/taxpayers-should-not-fund-faith-schools

Great story. Thanks for the link sir.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

@Nigel

Where is the 18-1 on Cahill FGS?

Meanwhile, Uruguay look mediocre to me. Nothing for England to be scared of.

Bet365, the bet is anytime scorer not FGS
    Thanks Nigel.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105

Taxpayers' cash should not be used to fund faith schools, say voters

Labour wants talks on teaching of religion as poll shows 58% of the public urge abolition or axing of state funds

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jun/14/taxpayers-should-not-fund-faith-schools

Hmm, nothing worse than the sight of the public manning the pitchforks
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,147
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

@Nigel

Where is the 18-1 on Cahill FGS?

Meanwhile, Uruguay look mediocre to me. Nothing for England to be scared of.

Bet365, the bet is anytime scorer not FGS
    Thanks Nigel.

That seems fair enough. I'm on this, Sterling FGS and 1-1
  • Options
    @Nigel

Thanks again. I've had a cheeky tenner on that. Clearly it's a longshot but looks value.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,415
    I guess the French surrendered when they saw it?

Fifa investigating France’s claims that drone was used to spy on training

• Coach Didier Deschamps alleges aircraft flew over team base
    • ‘We don’t want any intrusion into our privacy’

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/14/france-drone-fifa-spying-investigation-world-cup
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Goal for Costa Rica.

Backing the outsider, is profitable.
  • Options
    Get in.
  • Options
    Lol!!!!

I guess we might now see Suarez!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting discussion about religion on the previous thread. Worth spending 20 minutes reading it.
  • Options

Goal for Costa Rica.

Backing the outsider, is profitable.

Quality finish. The draw would be lovely.
  • Options
    Just received a text from Ladbrokes

England v Italy special! We'll refund losing correct scores, scorecasts and 1st goalscorer bets if Italy BEAT England as a free bet! T&Cs apply. Bet here - http://bit.ly/STc5aK. STOP 86131
  • Options
    Let's hope Uruguay maintain their tradition of getting irritated and getting sent off.
  • Options
    Costa Rica take the fecking lead!
  • Options
    Uruguay go behind. Oh dear.
  • Options
    Do I cash out now or not?
  • Options
    Lol. Quality.

Absolute quality.
  • Options
    Ha ha ha, just put £3 on Costa Rica at 6/1 a few second before the second goal. Being offered £7.84 profit on cash out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,052
    [Hitler believed in a Divine Providence. What is that if not God? And how on Earth was what was done by the Conquistadors in the Americas or in plantations in the southern US far better "in degree" than, say, Stalinism?

You are correct on numbers - although it's just one ideology - but that's just because the countries it happened in had more people.]

@Socrates Hitler's writings reveal him to be a committed atheist; he wanted to build observatories in every town so people would look upon the emptiness and 'forget' their belief in God. He described Christianity as the 'systematic cultivation of human weakness'. He referred to the cleanliness of the ancient world before the pollution of Christianity (a view that he shared with many scholars before and since). The fact that he used 'the divine providence' as a rhetorical device in Mein Kampf etc is proof that even he was not unscrupulous enough to refer to a God he utterly rejected. But one doesn't need to delve into Hitler's psyche to know that the regime he created was one that replaced God with social Darwinism, bogus race science, and volkish paganism. You will not find a serious scholar in the field who says otherwise. So it isn't just one ideology -please don't try to exclude the Nazis on the basis of some scanty mentions of divinity -very Richard Dawkins of you.

I didn't really want to engage with your defence of Communism on the basis that they would be expected to kill more because there were more available there to kill. I'd prefer to just let you forget you uttered something so crass.

With regard to the Conquistadors, and the Deep South, I know only the basics, but both cases of inhuman mass exploitation for monetary gain undoubtedly. However, neither to be put on the same level as a deliberate policy of systematic genocide. A Christian does not, CAN not glibly contemplate the taking of human life on a mass scale in the pursuit of a political ideology. To God, all human lives are equal.
  • Options
    Hmm I thought Costa Rica were supposed to be the Aunt Sally of this group?
  • Options
    Cashed out, another profitable day at the world cup, regardless of the England v Italy Match.

3 days of the world cup so far, 3 days of profit.

All hail my brilliance.
  • Options
    Costa Rica now 4/5 with Betfair.
  • Options
    Uruguay 5/1.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    BobaFett said:

It sometimes takes a while for political 'incidents' to unravel fully, or to put another way, for the wood to be seen for the trees. With a couple of days behind us this Miliband spat with The Sun is starting to look disastrous for him. However right he was to backtrack, he has made a terrible, terrible, mistake. Many on here may dislike The Sun, but that is very different from invoking their ire.

This is a terrible misjudgement which may cause permanent damage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/14/sun-ed-miliband-_n_5494504.html

Wishful thinking yet again from you.

Football is on the telly.

No one cares.
    That really shows that your finger is not so much far from the pulse, I don't think the body connected to it is in the same room.

The Sun campaign was the football. Miliband's best hope now is if England bomb, because The Sun aren't going to let this one go. The more the England hype begins to build, the worse this spat will be for Miliband. It's a terrible misjudgement

Further down the line, that final paragraph of The Sun editorial is going to be wielded against him: 'It makes you wonder how Ed Miliband thinks he is going to persuade English voters to put him in No.10'
  • Options

Cashed out, another profitable day at the world cup, regardless of the England v Italy Match.

All hail my brilliance.

Have you given tips for tomorrow?
  • Options
    perdix said:

Socrates said:

Tory/UKIP 50%
    Progressives 41%

COA 39%
    LAB 34%

If the next government brings in PR, which is a possibility, the Tories will need to mend their fences with UKIP pretty quickly.
    There can be no deal with kippers - too incoherent and shallow.

Yes, but when Cameron leaves, perhaps someone deeper and more coherent will be able to broker it.

• Options
    Is it me or are Uruguay getting dirty now?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

All hail my brilliance.

Have you given tips for tomorrow?
    Not yet.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

It sometimes takes a while for political 'incidents' to unravel fully, or to put another way, for the wood to be seen for the trees. With a couple of days behind us this Miliband spat with The Sun is starting to look disastrous for him. However right he was to backtrack, he has made a terrible, terrible, mistake. Many on here may dislike The Sun, but that is very different from invoking their ire.

This is a terrible misjudgement which may cause permanent damage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/14/sun-ed-miliband-_n_5494504.html

Wishful thinking yet again from you.

Football is on the telly.

No one cares.
    That really shows that your finger is not so much far from the pulse, I don't think the body connected to it is in the same room.

The Sun campaign was the football. Miliband's best hope now is if England bomb, because The Sun aren't going to let this one go. The more the England hype begins to build, the worse this spat will be for Miliband. It's a terrible misjudgement

Further down the line, that final paragraph of The Sun editorial is going to be wielded against him: 'It makes you wonder how Ed Miliband thinks he is going to persuade English voters to put him in No.10'
    Terrible backlash against Labour etc etc etc
  • Options
    Selection: Costa Rica @ 2000/1

There will be worse 2000-1 shots ^_~
  • Options
    On for 50 p :D
  • Options

perdix said:

Socrates said:

Tory/UKIP 50%
    Progressives 41%

COA 39%
    LAB 34%

If the next government brings in PR, which is a possibility, the Tories will need to mend their fences with UKIP pretty quickly.

Yes, but when Cameron leaves, perhaps someone deeper and more coherent will be able to broker it.

Not if they are aware of their grassroots as there aren't enough Kipper activists to make up for the exodus it would provoke
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Costa Rica will make monkeys of our defence.

This ball flies straight from distance, midfielders likely to score, and few nil nil draws methinks.
    ToryJim said:

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,525
    Pulpstar said:

They are playing a heap better than Greece when they won a tournament....!

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,525
    ToryJim said:

Situation vacant, England....
  • Options
    World Cup isnt it? small boys, rush goalie, wheres the formbook? jumpers for goalposts..
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I can't see Uruguay scoring two more now.
  • Options
    Hills have hit the panic button - Costa Rica into a miserly 100-1 with them.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,921
    ToryJim said:

Carnyx said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Why is it these South American national anthems all sound like they're from 19th C operas?

Because that is when most of them became independent countries.
    Yeah but they are all far too fast and flamboyant
    Have you noticed how they are still singing about 5 minutes after the music stops? Either they are trying to catch up with the music or singing a very rude 2nd verse. Always reminds me of the Billy Connelly sketch where he suggested we have the Archers theme tune instead of GSTQ.
    Don't forget we have a verse of the national anthem that's very rude to those north of Berwick.
    only the rebellious ones!! My family was on the winning side. Indeed the head of the family at the time was at the side of the Duke of Cumberland at Culloden.
    My family's entanglement with the Royals was alas much earlier including loaning Richard II 20,000 marks of silver.
    Irresistible, I have to ask, did they get it back with interest??

No the thieving scumbag kept it.
    Can't say I'm surprised!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They are playing a heap better than Greece when they won a tournament....!

A whole heap better than Spain too :D.
  • Options
    Maybe worth backing Uruguay for the World Cup at this moment?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

perdix said:

Socrates said:

Tory/UKIP 50%
    Progressives 41%

COA 39%
    LAB 34%

Not if they are aware of their grassroots as there aren't enough Kipper activists to make up for the exodus it would provoke
    I'd be very surprised if that happens. But I was being flippant -I don't want a deal either.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,280

[Hitler believed in a Divine Providence. What is that if not God? And how on Earth was what was done by the Conquistadors in the Americas or in plantations in the southern US far better "in degree" than, say, Stalinism?

You are correct on numbers - although it's just one ideology - but that's just because the countries it happened in had more people.]

@Socrates Hitler's writings reveal him to be a committed atheist; he wanted to build observatories in every town so people would look upon the emptiness and 'forget' their belief in God. He described Christianity as the 'systematic cultivation of human weakness'. He referred to the cleanliness of the ancient world before the pollution of Christianity (a view that he shared with many scholars before and since). The fact that he used 'the divine providence' as a rhetorical device in Mein Kampf etc is proof that even he was not unscrupulous enough to refer to a God he utterly rejected. But one doesn't need to delve into Hitler's psyche to know that the regime he created was one that replaced God with social Darwinism, bogus race science, and volkish paganism. You will not find a serious scholar in the field who says otherwise. So it isn't just one ideology -please don't try to exclude the Nazis on the basis of some scanty mentions of divinity -very Richard Dawkins of you.

I didn't really want to engage with your defence of Communism on the basis that they would be expected to kill more because there were more available there to kill. I'd prefer to just let you forget you uttered something so crass.

With regard to the Conquistadors, and the Deep South, I know only the basics, but both cases of inhuman mass exploitation for monetary gain undoubtedly. However, neither to be put on the same level as a deliberate policy of systematic genocide. A Christian does not, CAN not glibly contemplate the taking of human life on a mass scale in the pursuit of a political ideology. To God, all human lives are equal.

Really

Papal Legate and Cistercian monk Arnaud Amalric, when asked by his military commander how they should differentiate between the Catholics and Cathars (both Christians) in the besieged city of Beziers during the Albigensian Crusade, replied

"Kill them all and let God decide"

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I seem to recall that England always does better at World Cup finals in the matches that are on the BBC. When ITV is covering they struggle.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    edited June 2014

Which group is Scotland in?

Mike, Tut Tut!

Are you not aware that our beloved leader in waiting is going to be the First Emperor of Scotland in 2016, the manager and scorer of the winning goal in the 2018 World Cup and the First Man on Mars in 2020.
  • Options
    3-1
  • Options
    3-1 to Costa Rica.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,841

I seem to recall that England always does better at World Cup finals in the matches that are on the BBC. When ITV is covering they struggle.

Mike Lawrenson is an excellent co-commentator.

Maybe that's it.

(chuffin' hell: 3:1)
  • Options
    Adios!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uruguay = LOL!!!!!!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    I think Hodgson may have been worrying about the wrong team.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If you had followed my tips on the matches today, you'd be sitting on a return of 300% today before the third match.

Just saying.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    Edin-Rokz
    "Are you not aware that our beloved leader in waiting is going to be the First Emperor of Scotland in 2016, the manager and scorer of the winning goal in the 2018 World Cup and the First Man on Mars in 2020. "

Since the leader in waiting must be someone different from the current leader, you must be suggesting some change in the leadership of the opposition parties; or Johann or Ruthie remaining in place but undergoing an appropriate operation to become First Man on Mars; or you anticipate Wee Wullie Rennie achieving total (or any) power.
  • Options
    Red card.

As forecast downthread :)
  • Options
    That was filthy
  • Options
    Wheels have come off !
  • Options
    ouch
  • Options
    That challenge was dreadful, fully deserved the red.
  • Options
    ok I'd forgotten - Adrian Chiles is a twat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That challenge was dreadful, fully deserved the red.

Oh absolutely, even I as an occasional watcher could spot how bad it was.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    oldnat said:

Edin-Rokz
    "Are you not aware that our beloved leader in waiting is going to be the First Emperor of Scotland in 2016, the manager and scorer of the winning goal in the 2018 World Cup and the First Man on Mars in 2020. "

Since the leader in waiting must be someone different from the current leader, you must be suggesting some change in the leadership of the opposition parties; or Johann or Ruthie remaining in place but undergoing an appropriate operation to become First Man on Mars; or you anticipate Wee Wullie Rennie achieving total (or any) power.

Pathetic, for a First Minister to Emperor is surely the only thing waiting for our beloved Leader.

Surely you cannot condemn the ambitions of the Beloved Leader by saying others might actually usurp him.

Shame on you. Report yourself to your local SNP constituency party with immediate effect.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,683
    sunday herald ‏@newsundayherald 2 mins
    Our splash tomorrow: breakthrough poll has Yes at record high in #indyref and margin closing fast: Yes, 48%, No 52%
  • Options
    On my iPad Betfair odds are coming up the old way rather than as decimal places. How do I change it? Can't find the preferences page.
  • Options
    How on earth can Adrian Chiles describe a two headed result of 64-36 as tight? Is he a moron?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    ToryJim said:
    The same Theresa May whose department has cocked up again with passport delays?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

How on earth can Adrian Chiles describe a two headed result of 64-36 as tight? Is he a moron?

What is 64-36 ?
  • Options
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 1m

@Panelbase IndyRef poll commissioned by YES Scotland has the gap down to just 4%
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In 1997 Theresa May was one of a number of potential MPs who had cameras following her about during the election campaign, with the footage being broadcast on a documentary a few months' later.

Unfortunately I can't find the programme anywhere on YouTube.
  • Options
    That bloke that stuck 400k on there being a No vote, must be shitting bricks this evening.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ToryJim said:

What is 64-36 ?
    Oh they did a twitter poll on Sterling or Lallana
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552

Which group is Scotland in?

Football's equivalent of the LibDems.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552

sunday herald ‏@newsundayherald 2 mins
    Our splash tomorrow: breakthrough poll has Yes at record high in #indyref and margin closing fast: Yes, 48%, No 52%

What a wizard poll.

• Options
    As a Conservative unionist ie someone who doesn't want change to the point of Scotland leaving, I must say I am conflicted. On the one hand I don't like change and Scotland leaving the Union is change; on the other, the nasty, spiteful attitude of the more vocal nats against both England and the Cons makes me think: f**k you.

I think I would be able to take a positive from any result; if it is "Yes" it would need more processing.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,007
    Well, well, well. Costa Rica the must-beat team for England in Group D?
  • Options

Really

Papal Legate and Cistercian monk Arnaud Amalric, when asked by his military commander how they should differentiate between the Catholics and Cathars (both Christians) in the besieged city of Beziers during the Albigensian Crusade, replied

"Kill them all and let God decide"

Wikipedia seems to find that statement slightly 'let them eat cake'-esque. But I'm happy to defer to your superior knowledge. I wouldn't dream of defending the Crusades -a brutal war in a brutal time, but my point stands. The Romans killed people during peacetime for entertainment.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    AndyJS said:

On my iPad Betfair odds are coming up the old way rather than as decimal places. How do I change it? Can't find the preferences page.

Betfair app for iPad is rubbish, but maybe on the top left there are two icons, press the exchange one
  • Options
    Should England really be 2.62 to win this ?
  • Options

Well, well, well. Costa Rica the must-beat team for England in Group D?

Hmm
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    ToryJim said:

perdix said:

Socrates said:

Tory/UKIP 50%
    Progressives 41%

COA 39%
    LAB 34%

You think the Conservative Party membership can decline faster than they already are?
  • Options

That bloke that stuck 400k on there being a No vote, must be shitting bricks this evening.

Surely he must be someone who wouldn't be all that bothered to lose the cash.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    Edin_Rokz

Your love for Wullie Rennie - "The love that dare not speak it's name" (as the polls suggest)
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119

@CopperSulphate

One of the massive constitutional changes of this parliament has been the fixed term parliament act. This makes it nigh on impossible for a party that doesn't get a majority to rule as a minority for a few months before going to the country again.

If a party has an unworkable majority and can't get any legislation through then what's to stop them initiating a vote of no confidence?

I can't believe that they'd have to soldier on for 5 years without being able to do anything.
  • Options
    The Sunday Times front page says David Cameron want every British pupil to learn about the Magna Carta to help understand British Values.

Yes, this David Cameron

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2012/sep/27/david-cameron-letterman-late-show-video
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Good evening all.

Have tried to catch up on today's threads but only got as far as Sunil confessing to prefer totty to toddy.

My initial contibution will therefore be limited to:

Go, Rachel Ingalund, go!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Hitler was certainly anti-Christian, but that does not make him irreligious. He was a deist and his belief in providence was genuine. He commitedly believed that God rescued the Prussian nation during the Seven Years' War and believed He would do it to the German nation in the mid-1940s. Your position gets even more laughable when you try to count him as non-religious because some of his views came from a folk movement that you admit was pagan, as if paganism isn't about the belief in Gods. You're grasping at straws trying to define them as irreligious.

Oh, I didn't realise you were the sort of muppet that argued with faux outrage. Such types aren't worth debating with, as they just try to dodge the facts. Any student of history knows death tolls in places like China are far higher than elsewhere on population alone. That does not mean I am defending communism.

No true Scotsman, yadda yadda.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Betfair app for iPad is rubbish, but maybe on the top left there are two icons, press the exchange one
    Thanks. Actually I'm not using the app. Chrome instead, but I'll download it.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

perdix said:

Socrates said:

Tory/UKIP 50%
    Progressives 41%

COA 39%
    LAB 34%

You think the Conservative Party membership can decline faster than they already are?
    Going by my area the decline is largely people who paid and weren't seen from one years end to the next. Losing the people who knock on doors is a different proposition.
  • Options
    Er! Costa Rica?

Let us celebrate, sing along now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXTCC9qi3jk
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 59s

On Monday Cameron will launch a year of Magna Carta events ahead of 800th anniversary next June. King John the next weapon v Islamists
  • Options
    I've got to lay England @ 2.56 just on principle of it being too short. Min lay only though, don't want a victory to be spoilt ;D
  • Options
    I would have thought King John's Brother would be the person to take on this Crusade against the Islamists.
  • Options

On Monday Cameron will launch a year of Magna Carta events ahead of 800th anniversary next June. King John the next weapon v Islamists

Well King John didn't do too well against the extremist Merrie Men ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    A lot of people would be amazed and dismayed to hear that children are not taught about Magna Carta already. I wasn't — read about it at home instead.
  • Options
    And technically, wasn't it the Barons' Magna Carta rather than King John's Magna Carta?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Given that the Conservatives have scheduled a vote to pass powers over Justice and Home Affairs to the EU next month, that seems an odd thing to do.
  • Options
    An overwhelming majority of young voters wants Britain to maintain its tradition of offering sanctuary for refugees, according to a poll that challenges the political belief that an anti-asylum ticket will woo the electorate.

Eight out of 10 people who will be eligible to vote for the first time next May said they were proud of Britain's legacy of protecting people fleeing violence, war and persecution, while three-quarters urged the government to maintain the UK's reputation for offering a haven for people, particularly children.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/14/yougov-first-time-voters-refugees?CMP=twt_fd
  • Options
  • Options

I would have thought King John's Brother would be the person to take on this Crusade against the Islamists.

You don't want people learning too much about Richard Coeur de Lion. They'll find out that he only visited England twice for 3 months each visit, whilst he was here he sold everything that wasnt nailed down. Tried to sell London but couldn't find a buyer and bankrupted the kingdom paying his ransom. His fight against Salah-ad-Din was largely a score draw, so not the guy you really want.
This discussion has been closed.