Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    They gave us some fruit as we left which was well received at the time.

The grapes of wrath?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited June 2014
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

My latest post is up. It's a part two on UKIP, following the recent bout of elections:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-latest-election-round-what-have-we_11.html

Again I expect that I will not satisfy everyone with my analysis.

You've made some very interesting points during your articles.

Just wanted to say thanks.

I have tried to be detached. I make no secret on here of my worldview, but I try not to let that get in the way of my analysis.

The next post I write will be in honour of you and the thoughts that you have inspired about how UKIP will affect the other parties' chances. I hope I do it justice.
    Why do you say UKIP didnt do so well in Thurrock? They got 39% in the locals and 45% in the Euros

Agree that Dagenham & Rainham may not be such fertile ground, though the Rainham part voted Residents Association in the locals, and is probably more UKIP friendly than Dagenham
    They fell short on taking seats in Thurrock, rather than racking up votes, which is the aim of first past the post elections. I did say that 5/1 was fair value!
    Yes I agree no more than fair value.. S Bas & E Thurrock is a better bet at the current prices IMO

I live in Hx & Upminster, I didnt realise how well UKIP did in Havering at the Euros, 42%... the locals were all won by the Residents Association so very hard to tell how the constituency will pan out

http://www.havering.gov.uk/Pages/ServiceChild/European-election-results-2014.aspx

Romford seems safe Tory
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

First we had gender segregation within universities

The standard was carrying a story tonight where ofsted had admitted employing a male muslim inspector who refused to shake the hands of female teachers on religious grounds during inspections.

There had also been cases of male muslim teachers in trojan horse schools who refused to shake the hands of female inspectors.

Disgraceful. Mind you, the wife of a friend of mine is a head of a small primary and was told by her Ofsted inspector that, as he was an Orthodox Jew, he would not be shaking hands with any of the women teachers, which was pretty much all of them.

Quite apart from anything else, the selfish impoliteness of it all is staggering. It's putting their own feelings and self-importance first rather than understanding that, as public servants, they are there to serve the public and that if they want to become Ofsted inspectors, they need to behave with courtesy and politeness to the staff and not give the impression that they view them as lesser beings on account of their gender. How can someone inspected by such a person be sure that any criticism made of them is not based on prejudice?

Religion drives many people to misanthropy.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Cyclefree said:

I think it's worse than that. I think some of them see Islamism as allies because they are ethnic minorities, hate the US and Israel and the West. It's like those "useful idiots" who supported Communism. The fools don't realise that if Christianity is extirpated the foundations of our liberal enlightened West are more likely to fall and be replaced by the sort of ideologies that animate ISIS.

I think what you say might be true of the hard left, but they are a tiny minority at this point. I think the much bigger problem is the liberal-left. They don't see the Islamists as allies, but they just refuse to acknowledge the pervasiveness of extremist Islamic thought among Muslims. They regard Muslims as a marginalised victim group, and even when confronted with evidence of widespread extremism, can not process this properly. They avoid condemning the Islamists, unless absolutely pushed to, because they believe that the oppression of Islamophobia from white British people is a bigger problem than extremism among Muslims. This is because they've always seen white British people as the privileged class oppressing others. whereas they like to see Muslims as victims.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

The standard was carrying a story tonight where ofsted had admitted employing a male muslim inspector who refused to shake the hands of female teachers on religious grounds during inspections.

There had also been cases of male muslim teachers in trojan horse schools who refused to shake the hands of female inspectors.

Disgraceful. Mind you, the wife of a friend of mine is a head of a small primary and was told by her Ofsted inspector that, as he was an Orthodox Jew, he would not be shaking hands with any of the women teachers, which was pretty much all of them.

Quite apart from anything else, the selfish impoliteness of it all is staggering. It's putting their own feelings and self-importance first rather than understanding that, as public servants, they are there to serve the public and that if they want to become Ofsted inspectors, they need to behave with courtesy and politeness to the staff and not give the impression that they view them as lesser beings on account of their gender. How can someone inspected by such a person be sure that any criticism made of them is not based on prejudice?

That really is remarkable. As you say, why even become an Ofsted Inspector then? If you don't want to interact with people in such a way, don't get a job where it will constantly come up. Get a job on a phone line or something. If helping maintain education standards is so important to you, you cannot do it but try to act as though it is happening in your own little bubble of how the world should be and must conform to your will, it's happening in a world where there are other obligations and norms.

Agree. It's the fact that you have chosen to take on a public service role which requires you to put your personal feelings aside. I was once given a lift by an Orthodox Jew who saw that I had fallen and was in pain. It was an act of great kindness and when he dropped me off I went to shake his hand and he politely declined. But I was not offended. I wanted to express my thanks and did so verbally.

The difference is that here someone has chosen to go into public service but seems to believe that this does not impose obligations on him.

We will never get clarity on this while we have the sorts of advisors May relies on determining policy. Gove is right on this. We need to drain the swamp and tackle head on and forcefully the disgusting ideology and "me me I mustn't be offended" adolescent narcissism that lies behind this.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Update

I've just stuck in link 21

Antifrank: The latest election round: what have we learned about UKIP? Part 2: UKIP’s chances by location

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-latest-election-round-what-have-we_11.html

Re: Portsmouth. UKIP won Portsmouth North in this year's locals.

The Independent has a list of Labour seats that UKIP won in this year's local elections.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/exclusive-ukip-surge-is-costing-labour-as-many-votes-as-tories-research-suggests-9523847.html
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Christianity meekly surrendered to progressive politics, lets see how Islam reacts
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    @isam‌
    Romford will be Tory as long as Rosindell can fight elections. He is absolutely the right candidate in that seat and nowt will shift him.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

On the Trojan schools issue:-

This - from the Jacobinism blog - is spot on:-

"The belief that the State has no business interfering in the cultural affairs of individuals and groups is untenable in the face of the challenges to equality and liberty presented by regressive religious and cultural practices. The collision of Islamic and Western values is sometimes presented as a one-way street. Islam - inert, passive, abstract, victimised - is dominated by the arrogance of an equally abstract Occidental modernity. But inegalitarian values are not a bit passive or abstract when put into practice - they have real ongoing consequences and victims. State-sponsored multiculturalism ensures that these values are not just defended but given the space to be vigorously

What we do need to say is that sharia has no place - none - in Britain, that death for apostasy has no place in Britain, that a belief in inequality for women has no place in Britain, that a belief that gays should be executed has no place in Britain, that a belief that women should be mutilated or forced into marriage or forced to have sex within marriage or killed to defend someone's peculiar idea of "honour" or beaten has no place in Britain, that a belief that children should not learn certain subjects because they conflict with their religion has no place in Britain, that anti-Semitism has no place in Britain, that threatening violence if you don't like what someone says about your religion has no place in Britain and that if people value these things more then they should live somewhere other than Britain.

To some atheists, it's the Old Enemy, the Christians, that are the problem. They think that Islamism can be dealt with once the Christians have been put in their place.

I think it's worse than that. I think some of them see Islamism as allies because they are ethnic minorities, hate the US and Israel and the West. It's like those "useful idiots" who supported Communism. The fools don't realise that if Christianity is extirpated the foundations of our liberal enlightened West are more likely to fall and be replaced by the sort of ideologies that animate ISIS.

To me, it's an obvious case of sawing off the branch on which you sit. To them, Christians are utterly contemptible people who worship "sky fairies" and "spaghetti monsters" and "brainwash" their children (when they aren't molesting them). Still, I suppose this hate keeps them warm at night.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

@isam‌
    Romford will be Tory as long as Rosindell can fight elections. He is absolutely the right candidate in that seat and nowt will shift him.

My uncle is a lifelong Tory from the posh part of Romford, and he told Rosindell to forget it when he knocked on his door last month

But I think you are right... Tories won the locals in that part of the borough
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited June 2014
    The problem with Orthodox Jews And Islamist shaking hands with a woman stems from the Old Testament I think. Menstruating women are seen as especially "unclean" (common to a great many religions). Asking a woman the first time you meet could be awkward (or if she has PMT, downright dangerous).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

My latest post is up. It's a part two on UKIP, following the recent bout of elections:

I have tried to be detached. I make no secret on here of my worldview, but I try not to let that get in the way of my analysis.

The next post I write will be in honour of you and the thoughts that you have inspired about how UKIP will affect the other parties' chances. I hope I do it justice.
    Why do you say UKIP didnt do so well in Thurrock? They got 39% in the locals and 45% in the Euros

Agree that Dagenham & Rainham may not be such fertile ground, though the Rainham part voted Residents Association in the locals, and is probably more UKIP friendly than Dagenham

I livein Hornchurch & Upminster.. big Con majority, but they lost control of the local council and UKIP walked the Euros

http://www.havering.gov.uk/Pages/ServiceChild/European-election-results-2014.aspx
    Angela Watkinson and Andrew Rosindell are safe. Without them, UKIP would take these seats.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    edited June 2014
    kle4 said:

Do you not receive many work emails? It's the default, I find. Each to their own, I once got in trouble for using 'Wotcha' in an email. I just thought it was another word for hello, I didn't realize it was too informal.

No - I think each organisation has a different culture. Where I work, the default signature is "Thanks," and then the signature, though some of us like to vary it by "Thanks!" or even "Ta!" We're not fussed about usage if it's internal.

Anecdote: when I was in Parliament, I had a request by an Open Plymouth Brethren school group for a tour of Parliament. In the discussion session afterwards, I offered biscuits, and was surprised to see the uneasy looks. Eventually the teacher explained, "We do not eat in the presence of non-believers."

It didn't occur to me to be offended (I tried not to laugh). They were a restful bunch for me, since the Brethren don't vote, though they take a keen interest in worldly affairs. The leader of the group was very concerned about EU membership, not for the usual reasons but because he believed that the EU is secretly run by the Pope.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Socrates said:

Cyclefree said:

I think what you say might be true of the hard left, but they are a tiny minority at this point. I think the much bigger problem is the liberal-left. They don't see the Islamists as allies, but they just refuse to acknowledge the pervasiveness of extremist Islamic thought among Muslims. They regard Muslims as a marginalised victim group, and even when confronted with evidence of widespread extremism, can not process this properly. They avoid condemning the Islamists, unless absolutely pushed to, because they believe that the oppression of Islamophobia from white British people is a bigger problem than extremism among Muslims. This is because they've always seen white British people as the privileged class oppressing others. whereas they like to see Muslims as victims.
    Yes - good points. I think it also that a lot of the liberal left (and others) are simply unwilling to understand what Islam says nor how it shapes those who follow it. Having largely abandoned Christianity they are unable to understand any other religion and like to pretend that Islam is just a sort of exotic version of Anglicanism. And - for all their learning - they are unwilling to learn from our own history when we took religion much more seriously and behaved very badly to people on the wrong side of the divide. Hell, they don't even look as far as Northern Ireland to see what a toxic combination religion and politics can make.

Finally, there is simple physical cowardice. Only Grayson Perry has been honest enough to admit this. That's why it's so much easier for them to attack Catholics or Anglicans or whoever because they know that they won't risk anything by doing so, certainly not their life.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

On the Trojan schools issue:-

This - from the Jacobinism blog - is spot on:-

"The belief that the State has no business interfering in the cultural affairs of individuals and groups is untenable in the face of the challenges to equality and liberty presented by regressive religious and cultural practices. The collision of Islamic and Western values is sometimes presented as a one-way street. Islam - inert, passive, abstract, victimised - is dominated by the arrogance of an equally abstract Occidental modernity. But inegalitarian values are not a bit passive or abstract when put into practice - they have real ongoing consequences and victims. State-sponsored multiculturalism ensures that these values are not just defended but given the space to be vigorously

What we do need to say is that sharia has no place - none - in Britain, that death for apostasy has no place in Britain, that a belief in inequality for women has no place in Britain, that a belief that gays should be executed has no place in Britain, that a belief that women should be mutilated or forced into marriage or forced to have sex within marriage or killed to defend someone's peculiar idea of "honour" or beaten has no place in Britain, that a belief that children should not learn certain subjects because they conflict with their religion has no place in Britain, that anti-Semitism has no place in Britain, that threatening violence if you don't like what someone says about your religion has no place in Britain and that if people value these things more then they should live somewhere other than Britain.

To some atheists, it's the Old Enemy, the Christians, that are the problem. They think that Islamism can be dealt with once the Christians have been put in their place.

To me, it's an obvious case of sawing off the branch on which you sit. To them, Christians are utterly contemptible people who worship "sky fairies" and "spaghetti monsters" and "brainwash" their children (when they aren't molesting them). Still, I suppose this hate keeps them warm at night.

You should have got me to say that for you so we could see what the lefties really thought of it!
  • Options
    It's strange, but being overcome by islamism rankles far more than being overcome by communism or nazism.

The Nazis had outstanding soldiers, excellent tanks and very clever submarine commanders. The communists had nuclear weapons and world class spies.

Islamists are just a rabble, easily beaten by anybody with an ounce of courage and a modicum of technology.

What's happening isn't just worrying, its deeply embarrassing.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I livein Hornchurch & Upminster.. big Con majority, but they lost control of the local council and UKIP walked the Euros

Angela Watkinson and Andrew Rosindell are safe. Without them, UKIP would take these seats.
    I was going to try and stand in Hx & Upm, but the hustings were last night, and I had missed the window for selection assessment... I'd have beaten Watko!
  • Options
    ''Menstruating women are seen as especially "unclean" (common to a great many religions). Asking a woman the first time you meet could be awkward (or if she has PMT, downright dangerous).''

And you think we ought to tolerate this bullsh8t? well it annoys middle england, so I guess its ok with you.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Socrates said:

@RodCrosby

Germany started indiscriminate aerial bombing of Poland in September 1939, no?

No, and certainly nothing like what was to occur later in the War.

On 14 September 1939, the French Air attaché in Warsaw reported to Paris, "the German Air Force acted in accordance to the international laws of war [...] and bombed only targets of military nature. Therefore, there is no reason for French retorsions."
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Christianity meekly surrendered to progressive politics, lets see how Islam reacts
    No, Anglicanism surrendered and secularised. Other denominations are putting up far more of a fight. See the crap that Catholics attract for proof of that.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I maybe the only one on here to say this, but we have a moral responsibility to the Iraqis, we buggered up their country, we need to help them restore it.

Ahem, not in my name we didn't. Those who voted for Blair, and especially those who were Labour MPs keeping him in office, have the responsibility.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Smarmeron said:

The problem with Orthodox Jews And Islamist shaking hands with a woman stems from the Old Testament I think. Menstruating women are seen as especially "unclean" (common to a great many religions). Asking a woman the first time you meet could be awkward (or if she has PMT, downright dangerous).

You're correct, but what an unpleasant view it is to see women as unclean and unworthy of touching once a month. I have to say I find Orthodox Judaism to be almost as unpleasant as conservative Islam.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    taffys said:

For me the lessons of trojan horse and Iraq are the same.

1. wherever there is islam there is islamism

2. Islam is completely and utterly incapable of standing up to Islamism. We have to do it for them.

Iraq has folded like a deckchair in gale in the face of a handful of fanatics. Islamism in schools in Britain isn't isolated cases, it is turning out to be endemic.

This 'vast majority of moderate muslims' argument just does not hold water in the face of the evidence.

If you starve the beast it dies
    The power of islam is oil, if they didn't had any then they would be like sub saharan africa, no money and no modern weapons.
    You can say that islam is also a political movement like any religion, its purpose it to install order with a set of rules, the rules in this case favour young men.
    While in christianity it's all about social and economic equality minus the sex stuff, islam is against social equality and is passive on the economic front and very much against any sex rights for gays and women (men are mostly free to do whatever they like with as many women as possible) and devalues women to the gutter, so naturally islam is very popular with young men that are needed to fight wars (a prophet Mohammed design),that is why it gained rapidly in the dark ages and now.
  • Options
    Having largely abandoned Christianity they are unable to understand any other religion and like to pretend that Islam is just a sort of exotic version of Anglicanism.

The point is that most religions can exist quite happily without their extreme forms and fight and control their extreme forms when necessary.

Can Islam? the evidence of the recent past suggests absolutely not.
  • Options
    @taffys

Almost all religious practices, had either a perceived, or practical reason.
    The fact that these seem to have little effect, means the priests need to make you believe, to keep their jobs secure.
    Wrap it up in mystery and flog it to the flock.

The basis of modern politics ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Tory MP for Folkestone is apparently mildly pro-Europe which could be a problem for him at some stage if UKIP mount a serious challenge there.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

fpt

As others have noted, big moves on the indyref betting odds today.

One bookie - boyleexpress (who he?) - actually has NO at 2/13. I cannot remember NO-vote odds as mean as that.

The world finally realises I'm right, and that the referendum will deliver a big, fat NO.
    If it's a big fat NO - as you predicted (and for which I have derided you) - I hereby PROMISE to buy you that long delayed drink, in the form of a big fat bottle of champagne in the Groucho. Guaranteed.

I suggest we make it an expensive brand, just for the hell of it.
    Hey, hang on - quite a few of us have been predicting that. Better make it a double magnum!
  • Options
    @taffys

Even moderate Islamist's can be bad.

I was talking to Mo in the shop, and he suggested blowing up all of Iraq and starting again
  • Options
    BBC - Islamic militants now less than 100 miles from Baghdad.

Well, that went well didn't it, the Iraq War.
  • Options
    taffys said:

It's strange, but being overcome by islamism rankles far more than being overcome by communism or nazism.

The Nazis had outstanding soldiers, excellent tanks and very clever submarine commanders. The communists had nuclear weapons and world class spies.

Islamists are just a rabble, easily beaten by anybody with an ounce of courage and a modicum of technology.

What's happening isn't just worrying, its deeply embarrassing.

Islamists have the best weapons they can find on the arms market and they are more testosterone fueled than the average person, the only thing they don't have so far is a navy and nukes (but Saudi Arabia can easily have both and Pakistan has too).
  • Options
    @AndyJS
    Fighting for peace is like f*cking for virginity, as the wise T shirt once said
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Oh dear, where's Saddam, when you need him?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    SeanT said:

2. Britain's role in WW2 really WAS uniquely heroic and extraordinary. We were alone. The Battle of Britain was nearly lost, yet it was won. We endured the Blitz - then, and only then, we handed out the spanking of Bomber Command.

Alone is a slightly dubious claim, since it includes (and why I dislike it is because it thereby obscures) the contribution of the Empire, notably India etc.

Indian soldiers, support, money etc were of great help to Britain throughout the war. (India being the example that sprang to mind rather than the only one).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 mins
    Survation/Record #INDYREF poll has YES with 54% to NO 46% if those sampled thought Cameron would be re-elected
  • Options
    @Theuniondivvie

Yup, he is your best weapon.
  • Options
    Sky: 60 miles from Baghdad...
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Theuniondivvie

Yup, he is your best weapon.

I prefer to think of him as a tool rather than a weapon; swords into ploughshares and all that.

• Options
    Damn, I apparently misquoted Ozzie.
    Apparently, what he said was currency rigging COULD become a crime.
    The City must be shivering in it's boots at such decision making.

"Currency market rigging could become criminal offence"
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/11/currency-market-rigging-criminal-offence
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@taffys

Even moderate Islamist's can be bad.

I was talking to Mo in the shop, and he suggested blowing up all of Iraq and starting again

Smarmy

If you have to work in an Ann Summers shop, it would be best not to politicise the names of your dolls.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

taffys said:

2. Islam is completely and utterly incapable of standing up to Islamism. We have to do it for them.

Iraq has folded like a deckchair in gale in the face of a handful of fanatics. Islamism in schools in Britain isn't isolated cases, it is turning out to be endemic.

This 'vast majority of moderate muslims' argument just does not hold water in the face of the evidence.

The power of islam is oil, if they didn't had any then they would be like sub saharan africa, no money and no modern weapons.
    You can say that islam is also a political movement like any religion, its purpose it to install order with a set of rules, the rules in this case favour young men.
    While in christianity it's all about social and economic equality minus the sex stuff, islam is against social equality and is passive on the economic front and very much against any sex rights for gays and women (men are mostly free to do whatever they like with as many women as possible) and devalues women to the gutter, so naturally islam is very popular with young men that are needed to fight wars (a prophet Mohammed design),that is why it gained rapidly in the dark ages and now.
    You have a very narrow and rose tinted view of Christianity.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Survation/Record #INDYREF poll has YES with 54% to NO 46% if those sampled thought Cameron would be re-elected

The Scots that will switch their vote one way or the other depending on whether Dave or Ed is in No 10 come 2015 truly amaze me.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If you read PB you would have found that yesterday, today they are outside Karbala which is 50 miles south of Baghdad, they have reached just 20 miles away west of Baghdad and they captured Samarra 65 miles to the north. They are trying to encircle Baghdad.

Though there were reports that Turkey started to bomb ISIS in Mosul so far there has been no confirmation.
  • Options
    Mo and Ali could hardly be described as dolls, Though both are a good laugh and polite.
  • Options
    http://www.ukipdaily.com/islamist-fanatics-country-schools/#.U5jh8vldU-U

as UKIP starts to respond to trojan horse, those labour 'coffee mornings for bigots in the north' ideas are looking better all the time....

• Options

As I predicted 2 hours ago.
    Applaud me gentlemen.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Scots that will switch their vote one way or the other depending on whether Dave or Ed is in No 10 come 2015 truly amaze me.
    Some Scots. Tory detox still a way to go it would seem.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Why should that be so surprising? For the average voter the next 5 years represents something like 10-15% of their life. If they don't want that time spent under a Tory government (and the implicit prospect of further such governments being more likely), then that's fair enough.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

If you read PB you would have found that yesterday, today they are outside Karbala which is 50 miles south of Baghdad, they have reached just 20 miles away west of Baghdad and they captured Samarra 65 miles to the north. They are trying to encircle Baghdad.

Though there were reports that Turkey started to bomb ISIS in Mosul so far there has been no confirmation.
    I've been offline for a few days.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Sir Roderick

Are you going to be up all night plotting the ISIS advance on an ancient map of Mesopotamia?

NATO enforced no fly zone over Iraq providing cover for the Iraqi army on the ground is what will be agreed and, probably, all that will be necessary.
  • Options
    I must say I am enjoying the chaos Muslims have generated this past week.

It seems that the liberal let's-import-the-next-generation-so-we-can-have-gay-sex-abortion-non-reproductive-sex policy has truly hit the buffers.

As a comment in passing, the secular Baathist party in Iraq was so brutal to the Shia because they were a minority. Secular regimes in the Middle East normally were as they were outbred by the religious.

It looks the same is happening in Britain. It had already happened in Ulster.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Speedy said:

taffys said:

You have a very narrow and rose tinted view of Christianity.
    Its about the theory, in practice history has taken its toll.
  • Options
    On a whimscial note, has someone asked Cameron if schools segregated by gender are against British values?
  • Options
    taffys said:
    “Those of us working in Asian areas,” he wrote, “are encouraged, officially, to 'celebrate linguistic diversity’ – ie, applaud the rapidly mounting linguistic confusion in these growing number of city schools in which British-born Asian children begin their mastery of English by being taught in Urdu.”

This is praised right here on PB... Kids speaking a variety of languages is fantastic for the future of the country in business...

I always feel like people are missing the point when they make that argument.

But anyway, does anyone have any idea why the schools in Tower Hamlets have improved their grades so much?

Im less convinced than ever it is The London Challenge. The last row I had with tim was that it was more to do with one religion being so strong in Tower Hamlets rather than a different Labour policy

• Options
    @AveryLP

We can supply a Sopwith Camel, goggles and a white silk scarf, the Yanks can cop for the rest
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    ISIS simply dont have enough fighters directly in their pay to get anywhere near encircling Bagdhad, its a bloody big city.

I'd suggest at this point for every ISIS fighter there is at least the same Sunni tribal who are not ISIS directly.

At this point they should start running into the mix of better Iraqi forces and Shi'ite militias. The Iraqi military has curfewed a couple of Sunni dominated districts in the city.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

Sir Roderick

Are you going to be up all night plotting the ISIS advance on an ancient map of Mesopotamia?

NATO enforced no fly zone over Iraq providing cover for the Iraqi army on the ground is what will be agreed and, probably, all that will be necessary.
    I don't think ISIS is basing its attack on air power yet.
    An air bombing campaign is needed to blow as many american weapons ISIS has (including its F-16's and the Blackhawks).
  • Options
    I always feel like people are missing the point when they make that argument

Blimey. after Trojan horse....how fertile are labour's northern strongholds for UKIP right now....goodness knows where another lee rigby might take us
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

Sir Roderick

An air bombing campaign is needed to blow as many american weapons ISIS has (including its F-16's and the Blackhawks).
    Do the ISIS insurgents have driving licences for F-16s and Blackhawks?

I feel a cartoon coming on.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ah well, crossover came on 11th May.

By September 18th, Tory leads should be commonplace...

Faites vos jeux, Messieurs-Dames
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited June 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

@RodCrosby

On 14 September 1939, the French Air attaché in Warsaw reported to Paris, "the German Air Force acted in accordance to the international laws of war [...] and bombed only targets of military nature. Therefore, there is no reason for French retorsions."
    How about the 25 September, Sir Roderick?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Warsaw_(1939)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Warsaw

About 1,150 bombing sorties by German aircraft were flown against Warsaw on September 25, 1939, in an effort to terrorize the defenders into surrendering. 500 tons of high explosive bombs and 72 tons of incendiary bombs were dropped on the city.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

ISIS simply dont have enough fighters directly in their pay to get anywhere near encircling Bagdhad, its a bloody big city.

I'd suggest at this point for every ISIS fighter there is at least the same Sunni tribal who are not ISIS directly.

At this point they should start running into the mix of better Iraqi forces and Shi'ite militias. The Iraqi military has curfewed a couple of Sunni dominated districts in the city.

What they need is to blunt ISIS's advance and start to reverse it with the Kurds from the north and the Shias from the south, but does Iraq have the time to organize a counterattack, especially in the south?
  • Options
    @taffys
    "goodness knows where another lee rigby might take us "

Very true, brutal mutilation and murder should be a sexual preserve Except of course for the random nut who blows a fuse.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    isam said:

taffys said:
    “Those of us working in Asian areas,” he wrote, “are encouraged, officially, to 'celebrate linguistic diversity’ – ie, applaud the rapidly mounting linguistic confusion in these growing number of city schools in which British-born Asian children begin their mastery of English by being taught in Urdu.”

This is praised right here on PB... Kids speaking a variety of languages is fantastic for the future of the country in business...

But anyway, does anyone have any idea why the schools in Tower Hamlets have improved their grades so much?

Im less convinced than ever it is The London Challenge. The last row I had with tim was that it was more to do with one religion being so strong in Tower Hamlets rather than a different Labour policy

Civitas run a number of supplementary schools in London. I think some of them would be within Tower Hamlets.

http://www.civitasschools.org.uk/locations.php
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Hello Iraq War, I missed you:

PzFeed Top News ‏@PzFeed 31m
    BREAKING: Iraq tells White House it would allow U.S. to conduct airstrikes with drones or manned aircraft to combat militants - WSJ
  • Options
    @Speedy

Suits the Shia, the Sunni? less so I would imagine.
    Heads down for another diesel and fertilizer cake in one of our streets.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

On a whimscial note, has someone asked Cameron if schools segregated by gender are against British values?

Or university clubs like Bullingdon?

Or sports like football?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Speedy said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

Sir Roderick

Do the ISIS insurgents have driving licences for F-16s and Blackhawks?

I feel a cartoon coming on.
    They captured the equipment 2 days ago, so I don't think they have pilots yet, but they can hire some.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

BREAKING: Iraq tells White House it would allow U.S. to conduct airstrikes with drones or manned aircraft to combat militants - WSJ

Someone in the White House is following PB closely.

It is what happens when the blog owner tips 50/1 outsiders.
  • Options
    isam said:

taffys said:

Do the Bengali community in Tower Hamlets speak Urdu???
  • Options
    corporeal said:

I think its ok if they are sold as such, its when they pretend to be inclusive, but seperate by gender anyway that one might feel there is something unpleasant going on
  • Options

isam said:

taffys said:

Do the Bengali community in Tower Hamlets speak Urdu???
    Wouldnt have thought so, but that wasnt the point
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Speedy said:

Someone in the White House is following PB closely.

It is what happens when the blog owner tips 50/1 outsiders.
    Yeap.
    At least the airstikes, if big enough, can give Iraq time to reorganize and counterattack.
  • Options
    Worth a watch if you fancy a laugh at Chris Bryant... Didnt know Croatia had already been accepted into the EU amongst other comedy moments

DailySunday Politics ‏@daily_politics 3h

On iPlayer: #bbcdp from Brussels with @ChrisBryantMP @LiamFoxMP @GreenJeanMEP Jane Collins @afneil @Jo_Coburn http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b046tq1b/daily-politics-11062014
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Centre story in the Times looks mildly amusing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-27806392
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm looking forward to Labour posters carrying the 'British values.....its meaningless really, isn;t it?' message to the doorsteps of Rotherham, Doncaster and Sunderland, as the UKIP guys look on and p'ss themselves laughing

extra helpings of foccaccia all round
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Smarmy - The Times is better at UK news front pages. Are you genuinely concerned?
  • Options
    About the IMF warning, or housing in general?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

@RodCrosby

About 1,150 bombing sorties by German aircraft were flown against Warsaw on September 25, 1939, in an effort to terrorize the defenders into surrendering. 500 tons of high explosive bombs and 72 tons of incendiary bombs were dropped on the city.

Hardly 'indiscriminate' then. It was a fortified city surrounded by German forces, which led to some unfortunate incidents...

'Although commonly portrayed as being absolutely decisive, the Black Monday air attack was a mixed success. Smoke from fires and large amounts of dust obscured targets and greatly reduced accuracy. As a result, Luftwaffe bombers dropped a significant amount of their bomb loads on German infantry positions in the northwest suburbs of the city, leading to acrimonious discussions between Luftwaffe and Army commanders. The tonnage dropped combined with only approximate delivery on target and the short duration does not begin to approximate the intensity of attacks major European cities were subsequently to suffer.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Warsaw_in_World_War_II

As you may recall, the Ju-87 Stuka was famed for its siren, which was clearly a humanitarian gesture on behalf of the Germans. Their priority obviously was not to inflict maximum civilian casualties, in sharp contrast to the policy of the British and Americans later in the war...
  • Options
    They're very good at both - if we're choosing to talk at cross-purposes :/
  • Options
    taffys said:

I'm looking forward to Labour posters carrying the 'British values.....its meaningless really, isn;t it?' message to the doorsteps of Rotherham, Doncaster and Sunderland, as the UKIP guys look on and p'ss themselves laughing

extra helpings of foccaccia all round

Coffee mornings for the people unemployed because of mass immigration telling them "we understand, we are sorry"

Maybe they should say "If the people that are undercutting your wages ever lose their job, we wont let them claim dole for three months"

Thatll cheer them up
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Centre story in the Times looks mildly amusing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-27806392

I think the Sun's front story is more amusing.
    There others are just news.
  • Options
    Oh my, so much to pick from from your link Smarmy.
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    Sorry, I was pointing out that the centre article was mildly amusing, coming so soon after the earlier warning from the IMF.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin
    Sorry, I was pointing out that the centre article was mildly amusing, coming so soon after the earlier warning from the IMF.

Okay Smarmy - I can work with this. You're making some link to Iraq violence and the IMF??? What are you thinking?

Edit - and give me some mins to read it.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

@RodCrosby

Hardly 'indiscriminate' then. It was a fortified city surrounded by German forces, which led to some unfortunate incidents...

'Although commonly portrayed as being absolutely decisive, the Black Monday air attack was a mixed success. Smoke from fires and large amounts of dust obscured targets and greatly reduced accuracy. As a result, Luftwaffe bombers dropped a significant amount of their bomb loads on German infantry positions in the northwest suburbs of the city, leading to acrimonious discussions between Luftwaffe and Army commanders. The tonnage dropped combined with only approximate delivery on target and the short duration does not begin to approximate the intensity of attacks major European cities were subsequently to suffer.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Warsaw_in_World_War_II

As you may recall, the Ju-87 Stuka was famed for its siren, which was clearly a humanitarian gesture on behalf of the Germans. Their priority obviously was not to inflict maximum civilian casualties, in sharp contrast to the policy of the British and Americans later in the war...
    25,800 Polish civilians were killed in Warsaw during the September bombing campaign, Compare 43,000 British civilians dead during the entire Blitz from Sep 1940 to May 41.

And don't forget Guernica in Spain way back in 1937.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @JBriskin
    The Times, on page9 of 11, bbc "front pages" as I said upthread
  • Options
    I think there are enough symbolic photo's of this conflict already, but here's 3 of the most significant to remember from the ISIS attack so far.

The end of an era:

Aaron Y. Zelin ‏@azelin 11h
    Here’s ISIS’s symbolic destruction of the Sykes-Picot border from yesterday pic.twitter.com/Qf4VJrtKqB

That scene from a disaster movie:

ICYMI: 500,000 flee violence in Mosul #Iraq http://ow.ly/xTkOH @BBCNews #AFP photo pic.twitter.com/crembl2E53

Fleeing to the sunset:

Tom Gara ‏@tomgara Jun 10
    Iraqi soldiers stripped off their uniforms as they fled Mosul. Pretty humiliating. pic.twitter.com/CW8TqRPsEn (via @LizSly)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin
    The Times, on page9 of 11, bbc "front pages" as I said upthread

Okay - well I won't be able to read that anytime soon...

• Options
    @JBriskin

No need, the IMF has taken a look round the various economies, and noticed it looks like the one before the crash. (at a guess)
  • Options
  • Options
    While I have an amount of respect for your style Smarmy - I really think you need to delve a bit deeper with financials.

Anyway, here's from what I was reading that should be more up your street -

[The United Nations agency for displaced people said that 500,000 of Mosul’s two million residents had fled the city in the last several days for safety in the Kurdish autonomous region to the north. Thousands more are thought to have fled towards Baghdad.

Save the Children described the exodus as one of the largest and swiftest mass movements of people in the world in recent memory. ]
  • Options
    @JBriskin

My bad, the Financial Times. This should be easier as it is a direct link.
    http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/99548/the_financial_times_wednesday_11th_june_2014.html
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

While I have an amount of respect for your style Smarmy - I really think you need to delve a bit deeper with financials.

Anyway, here's from what I was reading that should be more up your street -

[The United Nations agency for displaced people said that 500,000 of Mosul’s two million residents had fled the city in the last several days for safety in the Kurdish autonomous region to the north. Thousands more are thought to have fled towards Baghdad.

Save the Children described the exodus as one of the largest and swiftest mass movements of people in the world in recent memory. ]

Berlin 1945 or Nanjing 1937 could be bigger.
  • Options
    @JBriskin

Yes, I don't think I would be staying long after ISIS arrived, being crucified is not in my bucket list
  • Options
    edited June 2014

25,800 Polish civilians were killed in Warsaw during the September bombing campaign, Compare 43,000 British civilians dead during the entire Blitz from Sep 1940 to May 41.

You really ought to study a little more history, and less propaganda...

'A final figure for the dead in Warsaw from bombing has never been calculated with any certainty. Many were the victims of artillery fire rather than bombing; Chaim Kaplan thought shelling to be the greater menace to the civilian population. The claims that between 20,000 and 40,000 died is certainly an exaggeration, for fatalities on this scale would have required a firestorm on the scale of Hamburg in 1943 or Dresden in 1945, and of that there is no evidence, nor was the German Air Force at that stage capable of creating one. Current estimates suggest around 7,000 dead, on the assumption that casualty rates per ton of bombs might have equalled the Dresden raid, but a casualty rate equivalent to the Blitz on London would mean around 2,500 deaths on the basis of the limited tonnage dropped.'
    Richard Overy, The Bombing War: Europe 1939-45

So your numbers are probably out by a factor of 10.

Just stick to what you know, eh?
  • Options
    I've still got Watchmen on, yeah, do I get SF points??

Anyway - with regards to the IMF warning - Lagarde mentioned something on Bbc on Sunday. I couldn't read to much into it.
  • Options
    According to the Times, Iran has sent forces to aid Iraq:

Michael Cecire ‏@mhikaric 59s
    Wow. MT @RashaMoh2: #Iran sends 150-man unit of Quds Force to #Iraq to assist floundering #Maliki http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/iraq/article4116273.ece … via @AskingWhyNow

America is getting behind the curve.
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    Five hundred internetz, and a deep fried mars bar suffice?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    RodCrosby said:

You really ought to study a little more history, and less propaganda...

'A final figure for the dead in Warsaw from bombing has never been calculated with any certainty. Many were the victims of artillery fire rather than bombing; Chaim Kaplan thought shelling to be the greater menace to the civilian population. The claims that between 20,000 and 40,000 died is certainly an exaggeration, for fatalities on this scale would have required a firestorm on the scale of Hamburg in 1943 or Dresden in 1945, and of that there is no evidence, nor was the German Air Force at that stage capable of creating one. Current estimates suggest around 7,000 dead, on the assumption that casualty rates per ton of bombs might have equalled the Dresden raid, but a casualty rate equivalent to the Blitz on London would mean around 2,500 deaths on the basis of the limited tonnage dropped.'
    Richard Overy, The Bombing War: Europe 1939-45

So your numbers are probably out by a factor of 10.

Just stick to what you know, eh?
    You arrogant ass! We know you Germans started it - you invaded Poland! No invasion of Poland, no declaration of War, no Dresden. Simples.

And we also know German policy towards the Polish civilian population after the surrender in October '39 wasn't entirely benevolent...
This discussion has been closed.