Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The other battle of Newark: Survation versus Lord Ashcroft

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The other battle of Newark: Survation versus Lord Ashcroft polls

There’ve been two Newark by-election polls both of which were started towards the end of last week. The findings can be seen in the chart above.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,508
    They could both be equally wrong.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    FPT
    ToryJim said:

I do find this story about younger Tories amusing. Young people have fun, get drunk, and have sex with each other. Well I never. What an utter and complete shock.

I think people are shocked (or pretending to be shocked) because they are Conservatives.

Of course, those of us that have been around the block a few times (*COUGH JackW COUGH) know that Tories are the kinkiest of the lot.
  • Options
    OMG

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 4m

Actual people in the actual government actually thought this nonsense would persuade Scotland to stay in the union https://www.gov.uk/government/news/12-things-that-1400-uk-dividend-could-buy
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    On Topic:

Suspect it will be somewhere in between Lord A and Survation.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Not as wrong as you cheating for "first" on most threads.

Tsk ....

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346

Fruitcakes! This is your captain. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our party's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The European Union. For forty years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of Euroscepticism and Lady Thatcher, when the world trembled at the sound of our EU rebates. Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the Kipper drive.

Fruitcakes! The Tory Party doesn't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave the Tories behind, we will pass through the EU patrols, past their bureaucracy, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their secret Commission Debates... while we conduct cocktail parties. Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Newark, where the sun is warm, and so is the... comradeship.

A great day, Fruitcakes! We sail into history!
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Fruitcakes! This is your captain. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our party's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The European Union. For forty years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of Euroscepticism and Lady Thatcher, when the world trembled at the sound of our EU rebates. Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the Kipper drive.

Fruitcakes! The Tory Party doesn't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave the Tories behind, we will pass through the EU patrols, past their bureaucracy, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their secret Commission Debates... while we conduct cocktail parties. Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Newark, where the sun is warm, and so is the... comradeship.

But captain, why do you address us from Malta, and who's that blonde female standing next to you, is she your second mate?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    corporeal said:

But captain, why do you address us from Malta, and who's that blonde female standing next to you, is she your second mate?
    Second? He must be well into the hundreds.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    GIN1138 said:

FPT

ToryJim said:

I do find this story about younger Tories amusing. Young people have fun, get drunk, and have sex with each other. Well I never. What an utter and complete shock.

I think people are shocked (or pretending to be shocked) because they are Conservatives.

Of course, those of us that have been around the block a few times (*COUGH JackW COUGH) know that Tories are the kinkiest of the lot.
    My dear Gin I've been to party conference many times and have certainly partaken of libations and licentiousness.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    edited June 2014
    Why are we messing with Lord A on Newark day????

You're all being silly again.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    edited June 2014
    I guess it is a good thing we are getting these polls, although it makes the betting a bit less interesting when they are showing a clear winner. UKIP were 5/2 to win this before the Survation poll. They are now 7/1 with Ladbrokes.

I'll repost my personal guess:
    39% Con
    30% UKIP
    16% Lab
    5% Paul Baggeley
    4% LD
    3% Green
  • Options
    JackW said:

Tsk ....

It's not my fault I'm quick.
  • Options
    My guess is Ashcroft has got it very wrong. Labour will have lost a few votes to Ukip but I doubt it's as many as the Ashcroft poll suggests.
  • Options

JackW said:

Tsk ....

That excuse feels well worn.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

ToryJim said:

My dear Gin I've been to party conference many times and have certainly partaken of libations and licentiousness.
    TSE, can I have some PB press credentials to go to Tory conference?

For, erm, research purposes.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    corporeal said:

ToryJim said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

ToryJim said:

You can, Mike and I were offered and get press credentials for all the conferences.

Word of warning, The Tories, LDs, Nats, Greens all provide them for free, but Labour charge IIRC a fee for the credentials, guess which conference Mike didn't go to.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    shadsy said:

I guess it is a good thing we are getting these polls, although it makes the betting a bit less interesting when they are showing a clear winner. UKIP were 5/2 to win this before the Survation poll. They are now 7/1 with Ladbrokes.

I'll repost my personal guess:
    39% Con
    30% UKIP
    16% Lab
    5% Paul Baggeley
    4% LD
    3% Green

By less interesting you mean you can't tempt more people to throw their money away? ;)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Tsk ....

You're confusing your sexual prowess with thread cheating.

Tsk ....

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

OMG

Actual people in the actual government actually thought this nonsense would persuade Scotland to stay in the union https://www.gov.uk/government/news/12-things-that-1400-uk-dividend-could-buy

According to the link "This post originally appeared on Buzzfeed". It's a Brave New World out there.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Actually thinking about it, the Labour conference is in Manchester this year.

I think I'll go, and tell the Labour activists that as a Sheffield boy, they should hold a pre election rally at the Sheffield Arena just before next year's General Election.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I am having a particularly challenging and PANTS day.

It started with the dog leaving a puddle in the kitchen for me to slide in to when I went to put the kettle on first thing and it's been getting steadily worse ever since.

This should logically therefore culminate in a Labour win in Newark late tonight.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    The stakes are high between Gove and May, no wonder it merited an "inquiry"

How are Birmingham's schools going to be run after Ofsted delivers its inspection reports into the so-called Trojan Horse allegations?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27697597
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Actually thinking about it, the Labour conference is in Manchester this year.

I think I'll go, and tell the Labour activists that as a Sheffield boy, they should hold a pre election rally at the Sheffield Arena just before next year's General Election.

We're alllllllright?
  • Options
    Mr Corporeal the type of licentiousness on offer might not necessarily be what you look for ;)
  • Options

It started with the dog leaving a puddle in the kitchen for me to slide in to when I went to put the kettle on first thing and it's been getting steadily worse ever since.

This should logically therefore culminate in a Labour win in Newark late tonight.

I'm hearing rumours that the Lillywhites have put in a bid for Fabregas
  • Options
    @corporeal

It's TSE's motto...

"Everything in moderation"
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Tsk ....

You're confusing your sexual prowess with thread cheating.

Tsk ....

You should see me tonight, I'll be at it all night, until 3am.

Sadly I'm talking about writing threads on PB for the Newark result.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

The stakes are high between Gove and May, no wonder it merited an "inquiry"

How are Birmingham's schools going to be run after Ofsted delivers its inspection reports into the so-called Trojan Horse allegations?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27697597

Secularly??

Would that make you happy??

• Options

I'm hearing rumours that the Lillywhites have put in a bid for Fabregas
    Snigger....

More likely to be for Smalling....
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Mr Corporeal the type of licentiousness on offer might not necessarily be what you look for ;)

He's a Lib Dem.......it's definitely what's he on the look out for.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

OMG

That beggars belief.
  • Options
    With regard to the infamous Sheffield rally did it actually shift things or was it just the point the penny dropped?
  • Options

corporeal said:

ToryJim said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

ToryJim said:

You can, Mike and I were offered and get press credentials for all the conferences.

Word of warning, The Tories, LDs, Nats, Greens all provide them for free, but Labour charge IIRC a fee for the credentials, guess which conference Mike didn't go to.
    I'll have to see about it next time I'm free. I'll be sure to do some unbiased reporting.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    I wonder what is the best result for Lib Dems- CON or UKIP victory?
    The advantage of Con win is that it punctures the UKIP bandwaggon.One would expect, in the absence of any other by election win for UKIP between now and the GE that UKIP will fall back in the national opinion polls.Who knows but if it fell back to low teens then the Lib Dems could regain third place in the polls.
    The disadvantage of a Tory victory in Newark is that it could strengthen the Tory position in the polls and remember the majority of Lib Dem seats have the Tories in second place.
    Overall I think I would prefer the Tory victory with a low teens share so it does some damge to the Tory vote in the marginal seats.
  • Options
    @JBriskin

A little more transparency and inspection might be welcome? Indeed, several requests were made about it in Parliament (the rumour that Gove sent them each a signed bible instead has no basis in reality)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

They don't do cider at Tory conference? What an outrage.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

With regard to the infamous Sheffield rally did it actually shift things or was it just the point the penny dropped?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rally

Although Labour's internal polls at the time suggested the event had little effect on the level of support for the party, media commentators, and some prominent Labour politicians, thought the rally came over as "triumphalist" to television viewers of the subsequent news programmes.[1]

The election eight days later was a victory for the Conservatives who finished 8% ahead of Labour in voting, but with a much smaller parliamentary majority than in 1987. Widely regarded as one of the most surprising election results of the 20th century, pollsters had predicted a narrow Labour majority or a hung parliament.

Mirroring Labour's poll results, several analysts and major participants in the campaign believe it actually had little effect. Jim Parish, Senior Campaigns Officer for the Labour Party 1985–93 and an organiser of the rally wrote: "the catastrophic 6–7 per cent drop in Labour support occurred before the rally and was – I am reliably informed – known in Sheffield that night."[4]

Some accounts suggest the event only received widespread attention after the election,[5] an opinion Kinnock shared in April 2010: "It wasn't until about ten days after the election that people started writing about the 'hubristic Sheffield rally' and all the rest of it."[6]

In a late 1995 interview, Neil Kinnock was convinced of the negative effect of the rally, destroying at a stroke the image created for him during his period as leader.[7] By the 2010 interview, Kinnock's opinion had changed. He said: "Given my time again, I wouldn't repeat it – but the great legend is complete, bloody rubbish."[6]
  • Options
    I know football is a sleazy profession, but even I was shocked by the levels Liverpool have gone to sign this new player

Liverpool agree £9.75m deal for Emre Can with Bayer Leverkusen. German Under-21 player will join ‘subject to documentation’ Liverpool beat off Bayern Munich for his signature

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/liverpool-sign-emre-can-bayer-leverkusen
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@corporeal

It's TSE's motto...

"Everything in moderation"

Not all moderators were keen on that message.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

He's a Lib Dem.......it's definitely what's he on the look out for.
    I shall leave out coalition jokes but I know multiple first time journos at Tory conference are somewhat surprised about the preferences of attendant Tories.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I know football is a sleazy profession, but even I was shocked by the levels Liverpool have gone to sign this new player

Liverpool agree £9.75m deal for Emre Can with Bayer Leverkusen. German Under-21 player will join ‘subject to documentation’ Liverpool beat off Bayern Munich for his signature

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/liverpool-sign-emre-can-bayer-leverkusen

They'll probably get the fee back with sale of the film rights.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    edited June 2014
    I've done a bit of analysis on Lord A and Survation's raw numbers:

They are both consistent, here's what I've come up with (The Midpoints of both)

CON 39.5
    LAB 23.8
    LD 4.6
    UKIP 27
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    Personally I think I find Shadsy's estimate a lot more credible than either of these.

Labour are going to be squeezed today. In a seat they held (slightly different boundaries) until 2001. When they are the only mainstream opposition party. When they have the audacity of trying to claim they are a one nation party.

They really should be worried, whatever the polls are saying.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin

A little more transparency and inspection might be welcome?

We can, at least, agree on that.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

ToryJim said:

They don't do cider at Tory conference? What an outrage.
    They do anything ;)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT @Smarmeron

More equal societies seem to have better mobility, and coincidentally a better quality of life for all classes. (the reasons for the better quality are complex but apparently provable).
    Could this not also be added to your "todo" list?

You're getting causation the wrong way round.

More mobile societies tend to be more equal, not more equal societies more mobile.

I'm all for mobility: refreshes our client base. The parties get so dull when it's just the same people over and over again :)
  • Options

OMG

Embarrassing. Where do they think women get their hair done for under £30? Not in my family, not since daughter number 1 became a teenager.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I predicted a Tory majority of 667 for Double Carpet's "Election Game".

Remember, I came top in his European Election Game. My preds were:

UKIP 28.6
    Lab 25.7
    Con 23.4
    LD 6.8
    Green 6.7

and:
    SNP 30.0 (Scotland region only)
    PC 15.5 (Wales only)

UKIP highest regional score: 38.8

along with:
    FN (France) 23.8
    FPO (Austria) 19.0

http://www.electiongame.co.uk/
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Only one solution - go to bed before the polls close at 10pm. You won't hear the result until tomorrow morning, and you'll have a spring in your step all day from Labour's embarrassing slide to a poor third.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

OMG

I wonder what people like Winston Churchill, Lloyd George, Robert Peel and Pitt the Younger would make of the Better Together campaign. Hot dogs? Bovril? Haircuts? They must be turning in their graves.

Darling thinks that Scottish votes are still for sale, using other peoples' gold.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

OMG

Embarrassing. Where do they think women get their hair done for under £30? Not in my family, not since daughter number 1 became a teenager.

Scotland, innit. All perms and ginger dye.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

OMG

I wonder what people like Winston Churchill, Lloyd George, Robert Peel and Pitt the Younger would make of the Better Together campaign. Hot dogs? Bovril? Haircuts? They must be turning in their graves.

Darling thinks that Scottish votes are still for sale, using other peoples' gold.
    Europe is worse, today they announced for the first time in history negative interest rates for deposits ie you pay to keep your money in the bank.
    That is a great incentive for people to withdraw all their money from banks.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

OMG

Scotland, innit. All perms and ginger dye.
    Where did I go wrong? I could have saved a fortune. I wonder if I should discuss this before or after I suggest that I might abandon them in Durham and head to Ilkley?

• Options

Only one solution - go to bed before the polls close at 10pm. You won't hear the result until tomorrow morning, and you'll have a spring in your step all day from Labour's embarrassing slide to a poor third.
    But for a Governor's meeting tonight and the need to get said dog to pee in to a test-tube for the vets.... (suggestions please????), I was ready to go to bed at 2pm....
  • Options
    Conservatives last matched at Betfair at 1.07 with a fair amount of liquidity to both back and lay them at present, but not much for any other party. Labour last matched at 1000, UKIP last matched at 15.
  • Options
    [Darling thinks that Scottish votes are still for sale, using other peoples' gold.]

Yeah - and you think that wind farms produce gold.

I buy Silver!!!!

Yeah!!!!

We can only presume we have no-one on the ground in Newark. Outside the Bubble!!!

Dear team OGH - can we have a new thread please because I don't want to piss off Lord A.

Yours sincerely

Mr and Ms Briskin
  • Options

UKIP 28.6
    Lab 25.7
    Con 23.4
    LD 6.8
    Green 6.7

and:
    PC 15.5 (Wales only)

along with:
    FN (France) 23.8
    FPO (Austria) 19.0

My performance in that was let down by my dire overestimation of the SNP, PC, FN and Golden Dawn.

On the ENGLISH parties alone I'd have won !
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Speedy said:

OMG

Europe is worse, today they announced for the first time in history negative interest rates for deposits ie you pay to keep your money in the bank.
    "Free" current account banking has been one of the biggest disasters for the UK economic system. Rather than banks being able to charge to cover their overheads and make a utility like return, it forced them to become revenue chasers with an emphasis on inappropriate cross-selling at the retail level and higher risk lending at the corporate level.

Banking should be boring. It's a utility and should be run and structured as a utility, with commensurate return profile.

[relevance to your post: people SHOULD pay to keep their money in the bank]
  • Options

But for a Governor's meeting tonight and the need to get said dog to pee in to a test-tube for the vets.... (suggestions please????), I was ready to go to bed at 2pm....
    Try a funnel.
  • Options
    [Banking should be boring. It's a utility and should be run and structured as a utility, with commensurate return profile]

I'm going to have to disagree with you there Charles, admittedly based on Channel 4 programming. Anyway - they had this guy called Dave (literally) - and he started this bank - and they said to him - you can't actually do this because it's gambling.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    Not expectations management (why bother here?), but I certainly expect Labour to be third - talked to a few people who've canvassed there and they say it's seen as a two-horse race. Personally I think that was always likely and we were sensible not to build up expectations with a huge effort. Being in favour of one nation doesn't mean you expect to win every seat.

On the other, I'd have thought the Tories will have extended their lead post-Survation, with the better ground game, and will win quite easily. The LibDems might just hold their deposit - the candidate is a veteran at fighting losing battles unflinchingly.
  • Options

OMG

They'd probably have recognised it.

http://digital.library.lse.ac.uk/objects/lse:yow612mep/view

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/fe/fd/9c/fefd9cc90d58ec69d5c8a8910d6f16eb.jpg

http://www.anselm.edu/academic/history/hdubrulle/BritEmp/graphics/Tariff Reform Punch-november-1903.jpg

http://www.phm.org.uk/keemu/emuweb/php5/media.php?irn=4041

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QtHereze5hA/UVR30ZUtABI/AAAAAAAAAYk/bPpFtGeaHqU/s1600/Vote_for_Tariff_Reform+(1).jpg
  • Options
    [Being in favour of one nation doesn't mean you expect to win every seat.]

Sweden??
  • Options
    Charles said:

Speedy said:

OMG

"Free" current account banking has been one of the biggest disasters for the UK economic system. Rather than banks being able to charge to cover their overheads and make a utility like return, it forced them to become revenue chasers with an emphasis on inappropriate cross-selling at the retail level and higher risk lending at the corporate level.

Banking should be boring. It's a utility and should be run and structured as a utility, with commensurate return profile.

Why? They charge enough interest on loans to borrowers - the money they lend is money from our savings!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    JBriskin said:

[Banking should be boring. It's a utility and should be run and structured as a utility, with commensurate return profile]

I'm going to have to disagree with you there Charles, admittedly based on Channel 4 programming. Anyway - they had this guy called Dave (literally) - and he started this bank - and they said to him - you can't actually do this because it's gambling.

You're talking about Burnley Savings & Loans

https://www.burnleysavingsandloans.co.uk/about-us/

He wanted to take deposits and lend money without having the appropriate capital base to guarantee that he would be able to repay depositors without falling back on the bank deposit guarantee scheme. Additionally, without appropriate credit review processes, he would have been guessing on the ability to repay (although, I'd note he was based lending decision on personal relationships, which is arguably the best way to make a lending decision). He's now got the paperwork in place, and all power to him. The big banks have got so many things wrong over the years I welcome new competitors into the market. (For various reasons, I have a well developed view on banking structure and policy)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Speedy said:

No they haven't. This has nothing directly to do with people or businesses depositing money in banks - it's about banks depositing funds with the European Central Bank.

And if they were proposing negative interest rates for ordinary deposits, it certainly wouldn't be the first time in history. It has happened in Switzerland in recent years.
  • Options

Not expectations management (why bother here?), but I certainly expect Labour to be third - talked to a few people who've canvassed there and they say it's seen as a two-horse race. Personally I think that was always likely and we were sensible not to build up expectations with a huge effort. Being in favour of one nation doesn't mean you expect to win every seat.

On the other, I'd have thought the Tories will have extended their lead post-Survation, with the better ground game, and will win quite easily. The LibDems might just hold their deposit - the candidate is a veteran at fighting losing battles unflinchingly.

Anything below 19.8 for Labour will be a poor result according to my analysis !
  • Options
    @Charles

"More mobile societies tend to be more equal, not more equal societies more mobile."

Seems the Swedish managed to successfully put the cart before the horse.
    You have to admire Scandinavian ingenuity.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/3250/sweden-s-socialist-based-society-can-be-a-model-for-america
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    On the expectations management, the thing to watch is two-party swing (Con share minus Lab share) to plug into RodCrosby's swingback model. Rather mysteriously, having a different party challenging doesn't seem to make much difference.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,809
    Anorak said:

OMG

According to the link "This post originally appeared on Buzzfeed". It's a Brave New World out there.

But this third party* website posting has been formally co-opted onto a HMG website, i.e. a civil service one - specifically under the aegis of the Scotland Office and HM Treasury. Not a party political one.

* It would be hazardous to assume it is indeed a third party without checking, after the supposedly spontaneous and grassroots No to Borders campaign which turned out to be very long planned with Cambridge based photographers and all that. But I have more constructive things to do tha to inquire into the question of who created the original post and with whose money.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

OMG

If "Yes" wins, it will be in a squeaker, and entirely down to the sheer appallingness of the Better Together campaign.
  • Options

Charles said:

Speedy said:

OMG

Why? They charge enough interest on loans to borrowers - the money they lend is money from our savings!
    It's all about the credit spread and transparency

If you don't have fee income to cover your costs, then there will be a tendency to reduce interest on deposits (penalising the prudent) and to chase riskier lending. That's not good for the economy as a whole

Additionally, you also see the ridiculous penalties charged to people who miscalculate their balances, etc. A flat fee for a service - which you are receiving by putting your money in the bank - is actually better for everyone.

But, unfortunately, Midland decided to use an excitable griffin as part of a marketing campaign in the early 80s and persuaded customers that it was possible to get something for nothing.
  • Options
    Aaaaarrrgh - we've got Carnyx speaking that funny language again.

Serious question - Is Kay Burley currently on???
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    Odd Guardian blog appears to have only just heard about the Ashcroft poll in Newark:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/jun/02/newark-byelection-politics-live-blog#block-538c6489e4b01a015a59fbc3
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

OMG

But this third party website posting has been formally co-opted onto a HMG website, i.e. a civil service one - specifically under the aegis of the Scotland Office and HM Treasury. Not a party political one.
    That was my point. Leaving the material itself to one side, I couldn't believe HM Treasury was reposting a Buzzfeed list. Utterly bizarre.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Well done.

UKIP 28.6
    Lab 25.7
    Con 23.4
    LD 6.8
    Green 6.7

and:
    PC 15.5 (Wales only)

along with:
    FN (France) 23.8
    FPO (Austria) 19.0

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles

"More mobile societies tend to be more equal, not more equal societies more mobile."

Seems the Swedish managed to successfully put the cart before the horse.
    You have to admire Scandinavian ingenuity.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/3250/sweden-s-socialist-based-society-can-be-a-model-for-america

That link has nothing to do with social mobility.

The only possible connection mentioned is their education system - which I would agree is fundamentally important.
  • Options

Odd Guardian blog appears to have only just heard about the Ashcroft poll in Newark:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/jun/02/newark-byelection-politics-live-blog#block-538c6489e4b01a015a59fbc3

NOPE

Andrew Sparrow

theguardian.com, Monday 2 June 2014 17.51 BST

Lord Ashcroft Polls:

Tories set to hold Newark
    Monday, 2 June, 2014 in By-elections
  • Options
    @Charles

You are going round in circles Charles, stop it before you get dizzy.
    Lie down and dream of the good old days when privilege and wealth were everything.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

OMG

But this third party website posting has been formally co-opted onto a HMG website, i.e. a civil service one - specifically under the aegis of the Scotland Office and HM Treasury. Not a party political one.
    That was my point. Leaving the material itself to one side, I couldn't believe HM Treasury was reposting a Buzzfeed list. Utterly bizarre.
    Precisely so. I'm not sure which would have been odder (and more improper) - for HMG to create it themselves [assuming it didn't] or for it to adopt party [or at least campaign] propaganda. Apart from anything else, there is the small matter of us now being in the formal indyref campaign season.

• Options
    [Lie down and dream of the good old days when privilege and wealth were everything]

AND THANK ECK FOR OUR CURRENT UTOPIA

Or y'know watch 4 mins of Itv4 or bbcx

but yeah.

Thanks Eck.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

OMG

Precisely so. I'm not sure which would have been odder (and more improper) - for HMG to create it themselves [assuming it didn't] or for it to adopt party [or at least campaign] propaganda. Apart from anything else, there is the small matter of us now being in the formal indyref campaign season.

It's not precisely so Carnyx. It's precisely so.

I say FMQs went down hill about 6 months ago?

When do you think?

• Options

Well done.

Thank you! Not sure about my prediction for tonight, but I'm sure Tory and UKIP will be very close!
  • Options
    @JBriskin

If you are referring to Mr. Salmond, I am afraid his idea of "Utopia" and mine part company fairly early in the journey.
  • Options
    Smarmeron-

And do you even have an idea of what it is? I, for one, don't.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

OMG

When do you think?

I have other things to do than to listen to them. They fell off the cliff when Labour's Scottish branch manager changed to Ms Lamont who seems to be completely unable to think on her feet or to change her line of questioning, which rather misses the point of spoken discussions.

• Options
    @JBriskin

I am not sure what it looks like, but I am pretty sure it doesn't involve exploitation, starvation, and large nuclear flashes.
    Other than that, my grasp on the concept is hazy.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    JBriskin said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

OMG

When do you think?

You posts are an extraordinary mix of non-sequiturs and stream of (un)consciousness ramblings. It's quite surreal.
  • Options
    Smarmeron-

I was talking about Salmond's vision.

Do you have an idea?
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    Anorak said:

OMG

UK said indy cost a quid and now it says 1400, when if defence spending is cut and oil above 110 dollars the Scottish GDP is accepted as 112% that of the "new" UK. Not sure why exactly 1400 quid, but with all the BS from London this week what's another lie based on figures Dunleavy at the LSE never said and Young in Canada said were wrong too after Danny (pledge) Alexander on Radio Scotland to Gary Robertson changed the name he was quoting as the source (after the press release had been released) to a Canadian study from 20 years ago. Which of course said little similar to Alexander's diatribe. He was "in error" about Young and he sounded like he was. Young actually indicated set up costs were probably far less in Quebec. If they cost what UK claimed for Scotland based on that they have a screw loose. As such their one off costs would be as suggested, totally ridiculous.
    And no mention of assets of course. Funny that.

One thing is for sure; if the Scots believe that they will be better off with all that oil and no wars in middle east and no debt then they will vote YES, so the charade needs to continue.
    With more oil than Dubai and Qatar combined hard to do worse than now. And of course these countries never gave the oil dollars away to a neighbour to build a new rail link and airport as Scots are being asked to do, along with cutting their budgey by billions and then saying charge income tax at a higher rate than UK to make up for it. No oil and whisky revenue though of course!.

If they believe the admittedly constant propaganda from the BBC they are too poor and too wee and too stupid to look after themselves without the House of Lords and Commons to spend their money then more fool them.

Fascinated that BBC said only a few hundred in Spain against the monarchy when 20 cities had rallies and some went to 10's of 1000's. they hate Carlos with a passion, hunting elephants at a time of austerity did not help, so a swap may help prior to the catalan referendum. The new Queen is a honey so like Kate that will sell afew magazines.
    BBC cannot mention any major anti-monarchist sentiment in case it spreads perhaps?
  • Options
    Carnyx - It is indeed hard work - I can only really cope with Wed or Thurs - not both.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

JBriskin said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

Carnyx said:

Anorak said:

OMG

When do you think?

You posts are an extraordinary mix of non-sequiturs and stream of (un)consciousness ramblings. It's quite surreal.
    Thanks Anarok! I've literally got a Wolfe to read. Let me assure you that it almost all 95% mixture of boredom and sky news.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    So were Bonnie and Clyde:)

Well done.

Thank you! Not sure about my prediction for tonight, but I'm sure Tory and UKIP will be very close!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @JBriskin

Possibly something to do with golf courses and rich Americans? Neither the Yes or No camp have done much but hurl insults and made up figures about. It doesn't inspire much confidence either way on the journey to the ballot box
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    he will rue the day...

@journodave: Obama's talking about Scotland #indyref

@alastairjam: Obama on Scotland #indyref The UK has "worked pretty well" and our interest is in having "strong and united partner"

@jameskirkup: Game on: Barack Obama vs Alex Salmond.

• Options
    The thread this afternoon is reading like a practice run for a Turing test.
  • Options
    Ha ha antifrank - first time I've had a proper laugh for a while, thanks :)
  • Options
    I've just received a phone call from Loughborough Uni.

The poll was not carried out by the university.

It may have been carried out by some students who attend the university but they don't know who.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jameschappers: Obama blasts Scottish independence, warns EU it won't prosper without UK. All Dave needs now is for him to endorse @RobertJenrick in Newark
This discussion has been closed.