Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The challenge for UKIP now is to succeed under First Past t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The challenge for UKIP now is to succeed under First Past the Post

Final figures show that UKIP won 3.8% of council seats on May 22 – down from 6.2% on 2013.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    First and interesting.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    It's very possible a Lib-Lab Coalition could bring in PR.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Socrates said:

Why bring in a system that could produce a right-wing majority?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Socrates said:

Why would they?

FPTP will probably help Lab and Lib more than any other parties.

So why would they get rid of a system that benefits them.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

First and interesting.

Unlike Ukip under FPTP

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Given that there was an AV referendum, hasn't that set a precedent of requiring a referendum before any change to the voting system?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,947

Socrates said:

Why would they?

On the same basis, why would the Tories favour FPTP?

• Options
    So UKIP got double the bang for its buck when areas favourable to the Tories went to the polls. Not that it got fair value either time.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

Socrates said:

Why would they?

It produces more Conservative MPs than PR would.

• Options

Socrates said:

Why would they?

Because last time it benefited us.

We got 48% of the seats on 36% of the votes.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2014
    Socrates said:

Nah. A Con-UKIP-Green coalition on the other hand (and wouldn't that be fun).

Put the Greens and Kippers in a locked room with a selection of baseball bats and half-bricks, and let nature take its course.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Why would they?

It produces more Conservative MPs than PR would.

And far fewer LDs. So why would the LDs want to stick with it?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    edited May 2014

Socrates said:

Why would they?

Does FPTP actually benefit the Lib Dems though ?

They will get more vote % than seat % at the next GE, no matter how badly they do.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Socrates said:

Nah. A Con-UKIP-Green coalition on the other hand (and wouldn't that be fun).

Put the Greens and Kippers in a locked room with a selection of baseball bats and half-bricks, and let nature take its course.
    No a Rainbow alliance of Lab, LD, Nats and Greens would the most fun.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

Why would they?

Does FPTP actually benefit the Lib Dems though ?, it hasn't for a while - but it might at the next GE.
    It hasn't in the past.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Isn't Cameron an ex-"PR" man?

:)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

Why would they?

They will get more vote % than seat % at the next GE, no matter how badly they do.

If the Coalition balance of power had reflected vote share rather than seat numbers the LDs would have been in a much stronger position to draw many more red lines and may not be where they are today.

They'd probably need to get under 5% of the vote for their seat return to become proportional.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2014
    Socrates said:

I'd have thought the chances were effectively zero. Firstly why on earth would Labour, of all parties, want to do that? Secondly, how on earth would a coalition get this proposal through parliament given the inevitably large group of Labour rebels who would vote with the Tories to stop it? Thirdly, as RobD points out, it would be hard to do without a referendum, and who on earth is going to persuade the good British public of the merits of some new-fangled continental voting system which will guarantee not only eternal coalitions, but eternal coalitions containing Nick Clegg? Fourthly, if an already unpopular government (which it most certainly would be, given the pressures on public finances) wanted to make itself even more unpopular, then holding a second referendum on voting reform within a few years would be a jolly sure-fire way of doing so. And fifthly - how on earth would they justify this but not an EU referendum?

Executive summary: it ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    The current boundaries/system helps Labour massively, the Conservatives just alot. The net effect is an efficiency and a bias in Labour's favour.

But it still helps the Conservatives, just Labour more so.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Whoopee! A thread on voting systems.

That said, our Tory friends do need educating in the dynamics of FPP so an act of mercy from the demigod TSE.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Chilcot Inquiry says agreement is reached to disclose discussions between Tony Blair and George Bush over Iraq.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27625117

Gloucestershire Old Spot Pigs 15,000 feet.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

Why would they?

If the Coalition balance of power had reflected vote share rather than seat numbers the LDs would have been in a much stronger position to draw many more red lines and may not be where they are today.

They'd probably need to get under 5% of the vote for their seat return to become proportional.

The way things are going, looks like they are trying to test out the theory.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited May 2014
    Twitter
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 23s
    So publication of iraq inquiry report could (at last) be this year
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Agree with RichardN that there is very little prospect of Labour binning FPP, for reasons of self interest.
  • Options
    Its ashame I haven't got Ashcroft/Oakeshott's pockets to commission an AV national opinion poll.

Would be interesting to see where the balance lies. I suspect UKIP's position for GE2015 would be vastly improved. Not sure about the others.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 23s
    So publication of iraq inquiry report could (at last) be this year

labour can scrub and scrub but that damned spot ain't coming out.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Liberals 1979 election
    11 seats on 14% of vote

SDP-Liberal Alliance 1983 election
    23 seats on 25% of vote

SDP-Liberal Alliance 1987 election
    22 seats on 23%

LibDems 1992 election
    20 seats on 18%

LibDems 1997 election
    46 seats on 17%

LibDems 2001 election
    52 seats on 18%

LibDems 2005 election
    62 seats on 22%

LibDems 2010 election
    57 seats on 23%
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

That said, our Tory friends do need educating in the dynamics of FPP so an act of mercy from the demigod TSE.

Mike wrote this thread.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Secretly, we all love them ;-) After the AV referendum I had no idea what to do with myself...
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

Socrates said:

Why would they?

They'd do so mistakenly - expecting narrow party advantage, but losing by it.

One thinks of votes for women, devolution and the expansion of postal voting as innovations from the left all of which resulted in splendid peripateiea.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles

"Mike wrote this thread. "

You mean I have just wasted 20 minutes looking for obscure pop references? ;-)
  • Options
    As you can see, between 1979 and 1992, Lib/Alliance/LD vote share closely matched the seats they won. Suddenly in 1997, the number of seats jumped dramatically.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

If you're a Whedon/Buffy fan like me.....

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen 29m

Once more with feeling: Buffy refs are de rigeur if writing about Labour, right @EmmaBurnell_? http://wp.me/p1Vf1s-1DA also ft @georgeeaton
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    In the latest Voodoo poll on the website of "The Engineer", only 22% support leaving the EU. I thought it would be at least 80% amongst that right wing demograph.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    UKIP has certainly talked the talk on targeting and has generally been far more professional in recent times than pre 2010. I would have thought they could breakthrough next year. The time it takes for Farage to declare where he's standing will give an indication of how seriously they are trying.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen 29m

Once more with feeling: Buffy refs are de rigeur if writing about Labour, right @EmmaBurnell_? http://wp.me/p1Vf1s-1DA also ft @georgeeaton
    Firefly/Serenity was brilliant. Buffy I'm not too familiar with!
  • Options
    RobD said:

BobaFett said:

Secretly, we all love them ;-) After the AV referendum I had no idea what to do with myself...
    I have a thread in the pipeline that combines the outcome of the Indyref and a new voting system/electoral reform for the UK/rUK
  • Options
    Neil said:

UKIP has certainly talked the talk on targeting and has generally been far more professional in recent times than pre 2010. I would have thought they could breakthrough next year. The time it takes for Farage to declare where he's standing will give an indication of how seriously they are trying.

And get us paid !
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @RichardNabavi

"Firstly why on earth would Labour, of all parties, want to do that? "

Because, after losing a huge midterm polling lead, Ed would have to fall on his sword

"Secondly, how on earth would a coalition get this proposal through parliament given the inevitably large group of Labour rebels who would vote with the Tories to stop it?"

I don't think many Labour rebels would do it if it would collapse the government.

"Thirdly, as RobD points out, it would be hard to do without a referendum, and who on earth is going to persuade the good British public of the merits of some new-fangled continental voting system which will guarantee not only eternal coalitions, but eternal coalitions containing Nick Clegg?"

Proportional representation is popular in polls, and easy to justify in simple, fairness terms.

"Fourthly, if an already unpopular government (which it most certainly would be, given the pressures on public finances) wanted to make itself even more unpopular, then holding a second referendum on voting reform within a few years would be a jolly sure-fire way of doing so."

I don't think it would matter a jot to their popularity.

"And fifthly - how on earth would they justify this but not an EU referendum?"

They couldn't really, but that never stopped governments.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen 29m

Firefly/Serenity was brilliant. Buffy I'm not too familiar with!
    I'll dig out my Buffy and Angel boxsets, you are so going to love them.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Do we have any detail on the Chilcott deal? Given Blair managed to fortunately escape any bad press with expenses due to their accidental shredding I'm sure he'd be reluctant to volunteer any correspondence that would prove damaging to his otherwise spotless reputation.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,441
    @Sunil_Prasannan‌
    The interesting thing with 1983 is that the Liberal half of the pantomime horse got 13.9% and 17 seats the SDP 11.5% and 6. So roughly equal contributions in votes but the Libs contributing nearly 3x the seats of the SDP. I think UKIP has a twofold problem firstly the fact that everyone knows they will struggle to get seats will encourage people to shift their vote to where it counts. This will account for a drop in share and will make it harder to get a seat.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A question for anyone to take a view on, on which I don't have a fixed view. In the West Midlands region at the Euro Elections, An Independence From Europe tallied 27,000 votes, while the BNP tallied over 20,000 votes, We Demand A Referendum Now tallied 23,000 votes and the English Democrats tallied 13,000 votes. How many of these votes should be regarded as conned from UKIP and (more importantly) how do you come to that conclusion?

I'm particularly interested in the comparison between An Independence From Europe and We Demand A Referendum Now, which strike me as very similar parties, yet one has been accused of attempting to dupe UKIP voters while the other has passed unnoticed.
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 4m

Ouch: US economy contracted at annualised rate of 1% in Q1.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Good afternoon, everyone.

Do we have any detail on the Chilcott deal? Given Blair managed to fortunately escape any bad press with expenses due to their accidental shredding I'm sure he'd be reluctant to volunteer any correspondence that would prove damaging to his otherwise spotless reputation.

Yes, he's been photoshopped out of the Iraq War debate from 2003 and replaced by IDS.
    It was the Tories that fabricated all the evidence you see.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

They are blaming it on the weather, Obama follows George O?
  • Options

RobD said:

BobaFett said:

I have a thread in the pipeline that combines the outcome of the Indyref and a new voting system/electoral reform for the UK/rUK
    Tranquillisers on standby.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    antifrank said:

A question for anyone to take a view on, on which I don't have a fixed view. In the West Midlands region at the Euro Elections, An Independence From Europe tallied 27,000 votes, while the BNP tallied over 20,000 votes, We Demand A Referendum Now tallied 23,000 votes and the English Democrats tallied 13,000 votes. How many of these votes should be regarded as conned from UKIP and (more importantly) how do you come to that conclusion?

I'm particularly interested in the comparison between An Independence From Europe and We Demand A Referendum Now, which strike me as very similar parties, yet one has been accused of attempting to dupe UKIP voters while the other has passed unnoticed.

Mike Nattrass' home turf is the West Midlands (He was the MEP in that region), so you could argue some if not a majority were personal votes for him.

English Democrats have longed existed, so their votes are their own.

BNP - Are again their own voters, this is the bunch that think only the BNP are the only racist party in the UK, and Farage is a bit metropolitan poncey-boots gaylord.

We Demand A Referendum Now - Is also led by an ex splitter UKIP MEP, so like Mike Nattrass' mob, mostly personal votes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

BobaFett said:

Tranquillisers on standby.
    Features references to Status Quo
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

They are blaming it on the weather, Obama follows George O?

It was the OBR and Bank of England that did so.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,357
    Is this another cunning plan by the EU to show the almost limitless economic benefits of uncontrolled immigration? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10861170/Drugs-and-prostitution-add-10bn-a-year-to-UK-economy.html

UKIP have missed a trick here (sorry couldn't resist).
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I'm always reminded of an episode of West Wing when Josh is berating Amy Gardner over a spoiler candidate. It's also the stupidness that leads people to add up con and UKIP to get a right wing vote bloc or Lab and LDem votes for left. It's lazy and disingenuous and you cannot decide that votes can be shifted around like that.
  • Options
    I can't see UKIP retaining much more of their Euros vote share into the following GE than they did last time. Why would they? In order of significance of your vote the locals are probably the most important, the euros the least and the GE can be either depending on your constituency.

More tellingly still, if you look at what seats UKIP might target, there are almost literally no plausible candidates. After seeing what happened in Morley and Outwood last time thoughtful kippers (there must be some) will think twice before playing the fool.

UKIP's one GE achievement to date has been to get Ed Balls re-elected. Between the knowledge of ghastly consequences like that, and the prospect of Miliband versus the prospect of a referendum, and the fact that the distance to travel back to the Tories is short, I expect that their retention will be much the same as before, i.e. 18%, maybe 20% of what they polled last week.

It will improve only to the extent that UKIP's BNP and ex-Labour WWC supporters don't have anywhere much else to go.

So about 5%.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

I'm always reminded of an episode of West Wing when Josh is berating Amy Gardner over a spoiler candidate. It's also the stupidness that leads people to add up con and UKIP to get a right wing vote bloc or Lab and LDem votes for left. It's lazy and disingenuous and you cannot decide that votes can be shifted around like that.
    I don't think anyone thinks the Tories would be on ~50% in the opinion polls if UKIP ceased to exist (despite how lovely such a poll rating would be).
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

And the American figures didn't take it into account, does that make it more true? Or less?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is this another cunning plan by the EU to show the almost limitless economic benefits of uncontrolled immigration? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10861170/Drugs-and-prostitution-add-10bn-a-year-to-UK-economy.html

Don't ask me how I know, I just do, that the majority of escorts in this country, are British Born, not Jane Foreigner.
  • Options
    There's a great piece about how Ukip could win the next general election by targeting the aspirational working class and keeping its business crdentials.

It's called, Workers Of The World Ukip at:

http://john-moloney.blogspot.com/2014/05/workers-of-world-ukip.html
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,762
    edited May 2014

antifrank said:

Mike Nattrass' home turf is the West Midlands (He was the MEP in that region), so you could argue some if not a majority were personal votes for him.

BNP - Are again their own voters, this is the bunch that think only the BNP are the only racist party in the UK, and Farage is a bit metropolitan poncey-boots gaylord.

We Demand A Referendum Now - Is also led by an ex splitter UKIP MEP, so like Mike Nattrass' mob, mostly personal votes.
    I voted ED since I couldn't think of anyone else. I was going to vote No2EU but when I saw their candidate was Dave Nellist I couldn't bring myself to do it.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    antifrank said:

If your premise is people being thick then there's no difference.

If your premise is people being excited and impulsive / jittery - as you would expect from people who haven't voted for years or those who've voted Lab/Con all their lives - then you'd be looking for impulsive visual triggers that made people mark their cross without fully engaging brain and only realising after they did it e.g.

"UK Independence Now" or "UK EPP"

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    What post? The system should just be called "First".
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

I don't think anyone thinks the Tories would be on ~50% in the opinion polls if UKIP ceased to exist (despite how lovely such a poll rating would be).
    No but it's the mentality of the likes Carswell and Hannan and the other pacters.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

Indeed. My Con vote will be an anti-Labour, anti-LibDem and anti-UKIP vote.

My 2005 Labour vote was an anti-Labour vote.

This was always the fallacy of the left's claim that Fatcha shouldn't have had a majority because 56% "voted against" her. On that basis 72% voted against Labour and 76% voted against the Alliance in eg 1983, so she still had an overwhelming claim.
  • Options
    "General Election are about winning seats not regional vote shares"

True, but finishing above the LDs should definitely be a massive target for UKIP too; it will help to delegitimise any coalition and (eventually; I agree there's no appetite right now) foster support for PR.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,357

DavidL said:

Don't ask me how I know, I just do, that the majority of escorts in this country, are British Born, not Jane Foreigner.
    I once did a truly bizarre VAT tribunal about whether certain services were VATable and, if so, whether the VAT was payable by the establishment or those providing the services (yes and the latter).

This was, I freely admit, a bit of an eye opener for me but that sample did not support your assessment.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I once did a truly bizarre VAT tribunal about whether certain services were VATable and, if so, whether the VAT was payable by the establishment or those providing the services (yes and the latter).

This was, I freely admit, a bit of an eye opener for me but that sample did not support your assessment.

Blimey.

My assesment came from someone who works for the Prostitutes and Escorts trade union.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Eastern European whores stealing British trollops' jobs ?
  • Options

antifrank said:

I voted ED since I couldn't think of anyone else. I was going to vote No2EU but when I saw their candidate was Dave Nellist I couldn't bring myself to do it.
    heh
  • Options
    edited May 2014

True, but finishing above the LDs should definitely be a massive target for UKIP too; it will help to delegitimise any coalition and (eventually; I agree there's no appetite right now) foster support for PR.

If there is to be a Lib-Lab coalition, then Labour will have certainly finished below the Conservatives on vote share.

A coalition of the 2nd and 4th parties.

I can see the headlines now.
  • Options

antifrank said:

You lot in the West Midlands had a rum choice, Sion Simon, Dave Nellist...

You should have voted Green.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited May 2014

The LDs aren't just going to stand still. Or rather, we will see what they are made of over the next six months. Current analysis has it that they will stay as is. But what they do next is a known unknown.

They tried further to the left than Lab but can't go there again so I am intrigued to see what they do and how they position themselves next.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If there is to be a Lib-Lab coalition, then Labour will have certainly finished below the Conservatives on vote share.

A coalition of the 2nd and 4th parties.

I can see the headlines now.
    A coalition of the 2nd and 4th parties who had blocked reforms to make their seats the same size as the 1st party's.

The Daily Mail wouldn't just write headlines, they'd start a campaign of (mild) civil disobedience.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The LDs aren't just going to stand still. Or rather, we will see what they are made of over the next six months. Current analysis has it that they will stay as is. But their actions form a known unknown.

They tried further to the left than Lab but can't go there again so I am intrigued to see what they do and how they position themselves next.
    It will be interesting. And I expect them to beat UKIP, actually. But it seems as though they have two polar-opposite strategies to consider (pride or repudiation of their joint record); fudging the issue looks worse than either.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    I think UKIPs biggest issue will be the performance of their Councillors. People have voted for them either as a protest or on the basis of their one policy. Their Councillors now have to do what Councillors do. What I found interesting from last Thursday was the poor performance of UKIP in areas where they have a well known local organisation.or had councillors. For them to actually lose councillors on a night where they made such huge gains was a big surprise. There must be a reason for this.
  • Options
    @TOPPING

" I am intrigued to see what they do and how they position themselves next."

Not bent over with their clothing round their ankles might be an improvement?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Newark again.

Using the figures from table 2 of the latest Lord Ashcroft poll, showing how current voting intention relates to past voting intention, I have applied** the changes to the Newark vote totals, which gives the following prediction for the by-election.

Conservative 45.2% (-8.7)
    Labour 26.5% (+4.2)
    UKIP 21.2% (+17.4)
    Liberal Democrats 7.1% (-12.9)

So if Labour do end up coming third in Newark then it suggests that they are underperforming their already mediocre opinion poll scores.

** I've assumed that don't knows will not vote, that UKIP retain 10% of their 2010 vote, and I've neglected to calculate the numbers for the Greens and Others because I can't be bothered and it does not effect the relative positions of the other four parties - though the splits in the opinion poll do currently suggest that the Greens could run the Lib Dems close for fourth place.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    With the US slowing down, and the FTSE near record highs, might be a good time to bet against the FTSE ?

I have no idea how to do that though !
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Newark again.

Using the figures from table 2 of the latest Lord Ashcroft poll, showing how current voting intention relates to past voting intention, I have applied** the changes to the Newark vote totals, which gives the following prediction for the by-election.

Labour 26.5% (+4.2)
    UKIP 21.2% (+17.4)

So if Labour do end up coming third in Newark then it suggests that they are underperforming their already mediocre opinion poll scores.

** I've assumed that don't knows will not vote, that UKIP retain 10% of their 2010 vote, and I've neglected to calculate the numbers for the Greens and Others because I can't be bothered and it does not effect the relative positions of the other four parties - though the splits in the opinion poll do currently suggest that the Greens could run the Lib Dems close for fourth place.

Labour would take that result right now, as would the Conservatives.

UKIP would be disappointed. I'd imagine the Lib Dems would be glad to save their deposit !
  • Options

antifrank said:

To be honest I rather loathe the closed list system.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

Would you prefer the nonsense on stilts that they operate in Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Eastern European whores stealing British trollops' jobs ?
    Bought for £800 a head at London slave markets that don't exist in the political class' version of reality.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    With the US slowing down, and the FTSE near record highs, might be a good time to bet against the FTSE ?

I can only give you my experience from 1987 viz a viz stocks. The market only really dropped when everybody gave up on predicting that it would drop.

Nobody's been bullish about stocks for years so of course they've gone up. It's when everybody starts getting bullish that we can safely say the markets reached the top

Look at the UK housing market. People have been predicting its demise for decades only to look incredibly stupid. Now its rise is just assumed - a sure fire indicator it'll start to fall.
  • Options

Newark again.

Labour 26.5% (+4.2)
    UKIP 21.2% (+17.4)

On a lowish turnout of 40% that would imply a majority of about 5,500 on my simple maths.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING

" I am intrigued to see what they do and how they position themselves next."

Not bent over with their clothing round their ankles might be an improvement?

Are you saying that as an LD supporter or a Lab supporter who's disappointed that they havent done exactly as Lab wanted?
  • Options
    Reality is on Ukip's side so they don't need to do anything much except avoid mistakes and try to publicize the things the political class won't talk about.

e.g. ask how many houses like this there are

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/update-men-from-dewsbury-and-heckmondwike-jailed-for-human-trafficking-1-6615353

because if there were 10s of thousands of them then doing something about it would take a big chunk out of a lot of problems
    - housing shortage
    - employment
    - welfare fraud
    - tax
    - crime
  • Options

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

STV has a lot of advantages over the system used in Great Britain.
  • Options
    @TOPPING

I say that as something I believe, a belief shared by many ex and present LibDem voters.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    MrJones said:

Reality is on Ukip's side so they don't need to do anything much except avoid mistakes and try to publicize the things the political class won't talk about.

Avoid mistakes ......

Quite an ask that.

• Options

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

STV is the best!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Newark again.

Labour 26.5% (+4.2)
    UKIP 21.2% (+17.4)

On a lowish turnout of 40% that would imply a majority of about 5,500 on my simple maths.
    I went for either a 2500 or a 1500 majority in the election game. Can't remember which.
  • Options
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 13s
    Liberal/Alliance/LibDems electoral performance since 1979. pic.twitter.com/BpexFKU1lZ

• Options
    @SandyRentool‌
    I think the purpose of an election is to choose a candidate or series of candidates not merely to endorse the choice of a back room cabal. I dislike the fact that the person at the top of the most popular lists can be entirely useless and indolent and still get in whilst those at the bottom can be cracking and work hard but stand not a hope in hell.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    MrJones said:

e.g. ask how many houses like this there are

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/update-men-from-dewsbury-and-heckmondwike-jailed-for-human-trafficking-1-6615353

because if there were 10s of thousands of them then doing something about it would take a big chunk out of a lot of problems
    - housing shortage
    - employment
    - welfare fraud
    - tax
    - crime

You see a problem, Boba sees a welcome neighbour.
  • Options
    Neil said:

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

But certainly not when it comes to figuring out who has been elected.

And why should the result be decided by how many candidates each party decides to put on the ballot? A bit random, that. Give me d'Hondt (preceded by FPTP primaries to decide the candidate order) any day.
  • Options
    EHV's best. Only with enormo-haddock voting will we get the best possible government for Britain, with the Lords replaced by the House of Lemurs.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

MrJones said:

Avoid mistakes ......

Quite an ask that.

Yes
  • Options
    edited May 2014

EHV's best. Only with enormo-haddock voting will we get the best possible government for Britain, with the Lords replaced by the House of Lemurs.

Isn't that the Upper House on the island of Madagascar, Mr Dancer?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Neil said:

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

But certainly not when it comes to figuring out who has been elected.
    We know who was elected in Northern Ireland. That would seem to be the main thing.

And why should the result be decided by how many candidates each party decides to put on the ballot?

It's not. The result is decided by who the voters vote for.

So you prefer d'Hondt to STV. Great. I'm not one for endless debates on voting systems myself. But the idea that d'Hondt is just fine while STV is "nonsense on stilts" is silly.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited May 2014
    ToryJim said:

Newark again.

Labour 26.5% (+4.2)
    UKIP 21.2% (+17.4)

You would assume that Government parties would do worse than such a prediction because of the nature of by-elections and differential turnout**, but I've never tried using the opinion poll splits to predict a by-election in this way, so I don't have a feel for how large that effect would be.

** For example, the turnout implied by this method is greater than 56%, but like you I would expect it to be under 50% - for comparison the turnout in Corby was 44.8%.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, perhaps, but ours would be occupied by psychic octo-lemurs.

This would be a great improvement over the likes of Lord Oakeshott.
This discussion has been closed.