Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Clegg does move on my money would now be on Tim Farron

13»

Comments

• Options
    JohnWheatleyJohnWheatley Posts: 140
    On topic All other than Farron are either

a) Tarnished (Laws, Alexander,Huhne)
    b) Too old (Cable)
    c) Too obviously lightweight (Davey)

Farron will struggle in the job as he is not subtle enough, but will pass the Boris test - namely he will come over as a real person and not a robot pace Clegg and Milliband

Off topic - UKIP ahead of Tories, Lib Dems <5%

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

This is fun

See if you can fix what's broken in a v important relationship before you break the relationship.

I think that refers more to Obama's relationship with the UK ; and he doesn't really give a shit.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

I'm guessing ICM may confirm that UKIP not being able to afford Lynton Crosby was irrelevant.

He's done their job for them while the Tories pay him

Isn't that another one of your many questionable 'facts'?

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Socrates said:

Obama agrees the EU is broken?

Interesting.

Yes, you are right, that is quite extraordinary.

However, the Americans have been hinting quite heavily for some time that they think the EU (or Eurozone) should get its act together, so I imagine it is frustration at the lack of progress in addressing the Eurozone crisis.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    The UK's membership of the EU may be more important to the US than it is to the UK - discuss
  • Options
    Well, if the saintly Obama says the EU is broken, then I guess it really is time for a renegotiation. Surely Dan Hodges will be along soon, to tell us this is bad news for Milliband?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I will shortly be going to my first UKIP branch meeting tonight. So I hope that the jaw dropping stuff will end in smiles for us.
  • Options
    MarchesMarches Posts: 51
    It's not a discuss, it's a given. We provide a liberal free trade argument within the EU which, if we were not there, the Germans plus one or two hangers on, would struggle to support. Instead the US fears that there'd be the triumph of "managed trade".
  • Options

The UK's membership of the EU may be more important to the US than it is to the UK - discuss

Interesting observation. And perhaps to Germany as well.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Did Obama say 'fix what is broken' or 'fix what you think is broken?'

Interesting distinction
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    tim said:
    Obama would just be as overhyped as he's always been.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Marches said:

It's not a discuss, it's a given. We provide a liberal free trade argument within the EU which, if we were not there, the Germans plus one or two hangers on, would struggle to support. Instead the US fears that there'd be the triumph of "managed trade".

The US is still thinking it can get a free trade deal with the EU. It doesn't realise how hard the French will work to squish it, and it requires unanimous agreement.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    But Mike - are you the right demograhpic for Ukip?
    MikeK said:

I will shortly be going to my first UKIP branch meeting tonight. So I hope that the jaw dropping stuff will end in smiles for us.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137

Not sure that is right. Once upon a time in the cold war it was very important to the US that the UK help keep the more flaky elements of the European allies in line and warn them of issues arising.

I suspect they just don't care anymore. The US is focussed on the Pacific and rightly so. If the last 200 or 300 years have been focussed on the atlantic this century is where the pacific will see the action.

What is concerning them at the moment is that the EU is not buying enough US goods and services because they are in a depression. This means more US workers out of a job and some balance of payment issues. Can the UK help with that? Not really. They no longer have any strategic interest in europe.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Perhaps Mr Obama should attend an EU conference - suspect he would retreat to simpler topics such as Syria.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298

It was once said by a German, that The UK should take up her rightful place as the 51st of America, and both The UK and The EU would all be happy.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Did Obama say 'fix what is broken' or 'fix what you think is broken?'

Interesting distinction

He said "fix what's broken".

Maybe this could swing to Cameron's advantage, if the POTUS is saying the place is broken, then European heads might feel it's not just British whinging.

Still, I can't ever see the EU agreeing to allow bilateral trade deals, which has been the more broken part of the EU since the very beginning. Virtually every other trade bloc in the world has an open arrangement, it's just the EU that feels it has to control its members. If Cameron gets that, he'll change a lot of minds.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Obama should keep his nose out. The EU and UK has nothing to do with him.
  • Options

MikeK said:

But Mike! Didn't you know that like the hydra, I'm multicultural?

• Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited May 2013
    On topic, I think the Lib Dems will want someone in charge who is attractive to the Labour party. Come 2015, they'll be in coalition with Labour, and grooving to Ed Milliband's beat. I guess that rules out the likes of Laws (tainted by expenses, anyway) and Alexander (tainted by Osborne)
    So, Farron it is, then.
  • Options
    tim said:

Guardian politics ‏@GdnPolitics
    Gordon Brown: Conservatives close to being 'Powellite' on immigration http://bit.ly/19jp9ra

Now that would make a good thread.
    Powellites praising Brown, denying it, sulking?

OMG ! Brown was speaking without being paid !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

It was once said by a German, that The UK should take up her rightful place as the 51st of America, and both The UK and The EU would all be happy.
    That sounds more like something a Frenchman would say.
  • Options

Ahem. 51st to 54th!
  • Options

That sounds more like something a Frenchman would say.
    There was a time when the French and the Germans were indivisible when it came to the EU.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

Gordon Brown: Conservatives close to being 'Powellite' on immigration http://bit.ly/19jp9ra

OMG ! Brown was speaking without being paid !
    My irony meters needs fixing, the man who used the BNP dog whistle of British Jobs for British Workers critcising others on immigration.
  • Options
    As someone who is relaxed with prisoners voting.

I say huzzah to Alan Miller

Scottish independence vote should include inmates says human rights chief

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/scottish-independence-blog/2013/may/13/scottish-independence-prisoner-votes-alanmiller
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Gordon British Jobs for British Workers Brown.

Gordon Brown was wrong to brand pensioner Gillian Duffy a bigot because of her concerns over immigration, Ed Miliband said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gordon-browns-bigot-remark-was-wrong-says-ed-miliband-7961559.html
  • Options
    By population the UK would have roughly the same number of college votes as California and Texas combined (the two largest states by population)

It would be a big player..
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2013
    I thought that you might be a bit young for Ukip
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    A party divided on Europe and a leader too weak to sort out activists agitating for a referendum and unruly cabinet members.

Yes, it's One Nation Labour (sic)

http://labourlist.org/2013/05/who-are-labour-for-a-referendum/

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/labours-internal-battle-tale-two-eds-both-called-miliband
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    How weird to stumble by and look on tim's 1-eyed tweeting on the Obama/Dave event and compare to these.. TTFN

Tom Newton Dunn‏@tnewtondunn4m
    No10 are over the moon with the Obama endorsement. Senior source: "Most powerful man on earth supports PM's position on EU".

James Chapman (Mail)‏@jameschappers17m
    My spy in Washington reports PM's entourage 'beaming from ear to ear' after Obama endorsed Dave's renegotiate/referendum strategy on EU

norman smith‏@BBCNormanS30m
    Obama offers support for Cameron EU strategy. "You want to see if u can fix what's broken before u break it off"

Michael Savage‏@michaelsavage31m
    Cameron looks calm, but he's secretly fighting the urge to kiss Obama

Patrick Wintour‏@patrickwintour33m
    Obama comes to Cameron's aid on EU "You probably wanna see if you can fix what's broken in a relationship before you break it off".

Tom Newton Dunn‏@tnewtondunn32m
    Obama digs Cameron out of massive hole by endorsing his EU renegotiation/referendum plan. A big shift in US policy from full opposition.

James Chapman (Mail)‏@jameschappers29m
    @DAlexanderMP he also appeared to endorse the renegotiate/referendum strategy, don't you think?

Tim Shipman‏@ShippersUnbound27m
    I wonder what Cameron offered Obama in exchange for that answer on Europe? RAF raids on Congress? Coke and hookers?

Iain Martin‏@iainmartin123m
    Obama endorses Cam policy on EU. But surely public watching news will pay more attention to MP Nigel Torybackbench with his paving motion?

There's always too much positivity though...

James Chapman (Mail)‏@jameschappers4m
    No10 should be careful not to overdo glee at Obama's backing over EU. Risks further inflaming hardcore Eurosceps who don't much like Barack
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Spectator_CH: From @JGForsyth: Barack Obama appears happy to help a leader in a spot of bother http://specc.ie/10lRUT4
  • Options
    tim said:

He thinks little old ladies are bigots.
  • Options
    I wonder what Cameron offered Obama in exchange for that answer on Europe? RAF raids on Congress? Coke and hookers?

Prince Harry's hand in marriage for a family member?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2013
    sam said:

"Jaw dropping" could be UKIP going down!

Nah. UKIP just polled higher than the Conservatives is all. Nothing unexpected.

In other news, Pickfords van seen at Downing Street.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Welcome back, Mr. Scrapheap :)
  • Options
    tim said:

Pleased to see the PB Tories revert to regarding Powellite as an insult.
    About time

The ultimate insult is still Brownite.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    taffys said:

By population the UK would have roughly the same number of college votes as California and Texas combined (the two largest states by population)

you mean we'd get an upgrade from the candidates' wives who usually come across for a couple of fundraisers?

• Options
    Wasn;t Dave pretty nice to Barry before the US election? 'deeply reasonable, deeply rational.....'
  • Options
    Hodges has a pal.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/labours-internal-battle-tale-two-eds-both-called-miliband

" Ed Miliband is entering very dangerous territory. If the opinion polls stay as stuck as they are, the weakness of the government will no longer be a source of confidence for the opposition. Instead it will be a catalyst for panic."
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

About time

In PB Toryworld.
    But's that why the PB Tories got the last election so badly wrong.
    29% agreed with you.
  • Options
    Looking forward to having "jaw dropping" defined. Can only mean a big rise for UKIP surely? But will it be cleggasm type non-voters, tories en-masse or the Labour half of the working class vote moving the numbers?
  • Options
    Charles said:

taffys said:

you mean we'd get an upgrade from the candidates' wives who usually come across for a couple of fundraisers?

Mitt Romney campaigned in London last year. That's more than a lot of US states got.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Socrates said:

Ahem. 51st to 54th!
    Or America should just take her rightful place in the Commonwealth?

:)
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    For an ICM poll I expect jaw-dropping will be Ukip will move ahead of the Lib Dems. Will be more interesting to see how much Labour and Tories move
  • Options
    Tony Blair 1997 polled 13.5M votes
    Gordon Brown 2010 polled 8,6 M votes
    Mr Howard 2005 polled 8.8M votes

Brownite = disaster.
  • Options
    Barack Obama backs David Cameron over 'fixing' UK's relationship with EU

US president supports strategy of seeking reform of European Union before staging referendum on membership

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/13/barack-obama-david-cameron-uk
  • Options

Socrates said:

Ahem. 51st to 54th!

"We must never cease to proclaim in fearless tones the great principles of freedom and the rights of man which are the joint inheritance of the English-speaking world and which through Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, the Habeas Corpus, trial by jury, and the English common law find their most famous expression in the American Declaration of Independence."

-- Winston Churcill.

We don't need monarchical tyranny. Wilkes and liberty!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Barack Obama speaks for the USA. His view on what Britain should do should be understood from that perspective. I'm sure David Cameron was delighted with his intervention, but the USA's interest and Britain's interest are not always identical.
  • Options
    taffys said:

England would have 73 House seats, Scotland 7, Wales 4 and NI 3.
    UK as a whole would have sufficient population (compared with the current USA) to justify 20 Senators, though I guess with States it would only get 8 (two per state)!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Feck me, Martin Boon was right

ICM

Labour 34 -4

Tories 28 - 4

LD 11 - 4

UKIP 18 + 9

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/13/farage-factor-ukip-support-record
  • Options
    "Nigel Farage's party has surged from its previous record best with ICM, the 9% it notched up in April, to 18% after its council election victories last week.

Labour, the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats have been left reeling, with all shedding four points on the month to 34%, 28% and 11% respectively."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/13/farage-factor-ukip-support-record
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

About time

In PB Toryworld.
    But's that why the PB Tories got the last election so badly wrong.
    Puts me in an awkward position, I voted for Brown!

• Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Ahem. 51st to 54th!

"We must never cease to proclaim in fearless tones the great principles of freedom and the rights of man which are the joint inheritance of the English-speaking world and which through Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, the Habeas Corpus, trial by jury, and the English common law find their most famous expression in the American Declaration of Independence."

-- Winston Churcill.

You forgot my "Potomac Compromise of 1776"! And Monarchies can always be constitutional!
  • Options
    Interesting poll, but my jaw remains undropped.
  • Options
    holy mother of god

The forces of hell are being untethered ....
  • Options

I thought that you might be a bit young for Ukip

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

This sort of excitement keeps me young. The same sort frizz as when I joined the YCL at the age of 15. 190º turn. Thats life. ;)

• Options
    How's that 35% strategy going for rEd ?

• Options

taffys said:

England would have 73 House seats, Scotland 7, Wales 4 and NI 3.
    UK as a whole would have sufficient population (compared with the current USA) to justify 20 Senators, though I guess with States it would only get 8 (two per state)!
    That means in the electoral college for the presidency, England would be worth as much as Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado and New Hampshire combined.
  • Options
    LD+LAB = 45 (-6)
    CON+ UKIP = 46 (+5)

All from the blues eh ?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2013
    A plague on everyone's houses!

And all those voices telling us that UKIP would have no effect on Labour.

The Left is being slowly squeezed...
  • Options
    After weeks of publicity for Ukip's leader, a "Farage factor" is clearly evident in the personal leadership ratings. Last month voters were split down the middle on his performance – 28% saying he was doing a good job; 29% a bad job – giving a net negative score of –1.

Today, the balance of opinion is running 40%-23% in his favour, a net positive of +17. Meanwhile, David Cameron hits a new personal low of –15, and Ed Miliband picks up only one from the even more dismal record of -23 which he set last month, to stand at –22.
  • Options
    tim said:

ICM

Lab Maj 66
    UKIP seats = 0

Never mind tim. keep hoping. ;)

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    My views of remoteness seem vindicated.
  • Options

Interesting poll, but my jaw remains undropped.

Thats because you are dead and your jaw is tied up.
  • Options
    I have long been assuming that UKIP's vote would crumble due to First Past the Post. But if they go above 20% we are truly in uncharted territory, and the Tories "it's a wasted vote" argument will be a lot weaker.
  • Options

Feck me, Martin Boon was right

ICM

Labour 34 -4

Tories 28 - 4

LD 11 - 4

UKIP 18 + 9

Utterly jaw-dropping!
    ICM/The Sunil:

Tories/UKIP 46 (+5)
    Euroholics 45 (-8)
  • Options
    CCHQ have done everything in their power to make sure Tim Farron is the next leader of the Lib Dems. That is not altruism.

Police enquiries are still continuing about the fate of 112, Highgate in Kendal, once the Conservative HQ in Westmorland and Lonsdale.

Tim Farron offered me a job. I didn't accept.
  • Options
    I haven't seen the polls shift this much in such a short space of time since the election that never was or the Cleggasm.
  • Options
    Big thanks to Martin Boon for delivering a poll that lived up to the hype.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    ICM for Guardian has CON 28-4, LAB 34-4, LD 11-4, Ukip 18+9.

The harsh fact is that Con Lab, Lib are divided parties and are being punished by the voters...
  • Options
    ICM: The key bit is this:

For all three established parties to be falling substantially at the same time is unprecedented in the 29-year history of the Guardian/ICM series.

But that's only because one of them, the normal recipient of protest votes, is in government. It's not unprecedented for voters unhappy with both the government and opposition, or simply riding a fad, to land upon some other party for a mid-term protest.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    So the rise of UKIP hits Labour as hard as the tories and the Lib Dems edge towards oblivion. Labour + tories = 62%.

I think the next election is going to be interesting. It seems very likely that there will be a greater percentage of the vote up for grabs and uncommitted than we have seen in a long time. All to play for and with a recovering economy some hope for the tories.

These results seem much more in line with the adjusted shares from the locals than the tosh we get from You gov. But Labour supporters can go on believing an 11% lead if it makes them feel better.
  • Options
    For the three "main parties" that has to be the lowest combined polling score with ICM ever? Maybe when the Greens had a surge after Chernobyl would be close? Or the last Euros when UKIP, BNP and Green did well.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    3x4=12
    UKIP is+9

Where have the other 3 gone? For "others" that would seem a pretty big move as well.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Ahem. 51st to 54th!

-- Winston Churcill.

You forgot my "Potomac Compromise of 1776"! And Monarchies can always be constitutional!

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Ahem. 51st to 54th!

-- Winston Churcill.

What is the Potomac Compromise? Monarchies can indeed be constitutional, but they still go against the notion that all men are created equal.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Socrates said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Mitt Romney campaigned in London last year. That's more than a lot of US states got.
    More fundraising than really campaigning. Was invited to meet him at a couple of things but decided not to go in the end - wasn't worth the pain of reorganising my diary. But he was the first in donkey's years
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited May 2013
    "If Clegg does move on my money would now be on Tim Farron

He had a good Reynard-gate and Vote2013 aftermath"

He's been the most credible lib dem on the media for quite some time. Of course that isn't saying too much but Farron is always out there when the other leadership hopefuls just don't seem to be in it.

Bar one.

Those who think Vince isn't interested just because the twit Gove waded in, should perhaps read this.
    Vince Cable: I could still lead Liberal Democrats at 70

Vince Cable has no intention of doing an Alex Ferguson - the Business Secretary turned 70 on Thursday but retirement is the last thing on his mind.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10051591/Vince-Cable-I-could-still-lead-Liberal-Democrats-at-70.html
    Clegg still seems to be ensconced in a bubble insisting he's "still in the saddle" after the lib dems took yet another big hit on their base in the council elections, but that base knows what is happening and it's extremely unlikely they will be fine with the suicidal notion of a toxic Clegg leading the election campaign in 2015.

No doubt the Cameroon spinners are praying Clegg will lead the lib dems into the election considering all those lib dem tory battlegrounds.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Socrates said:

What is the Potomac Compromise?

Just a bit of alternate history, Socrates!
    I'm undecided whether it should be full representation at Westminster, or a maybe a Austro-Hungarian style dual-monarchy.

Of course if I were King-Emperor, the British Empire/Commonwealth would be a fully democratic federation open to all English-speaking territories and even all territories liberated/occupied/administered by the UK and US throughout "real" history (yes, I have collated a list of them after several Wiki-browses!)

sincerely,

His Britanno-American Majesty, Emperor Sunil I.
This discussion has been closed.