Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the trend in the ComRes marginals’ surveys is seen in Lo

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,928
    edited May 2014
    I'm absolutely shocked by all the events involving the Police and their Federation. Shocked I tell you.

Just remember these are the people successive governments have wanted to give even more powers to snoop, arrest and detain without charge for 90 days ordinary members of the public.

If they can do this to a cabinet minister....then they can do it to us plebs.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

JohnO said:

We have no idea what will happen in the future beyond the fact that with Cameron in charge of the Tory party we will never leave the EU.

That directly contradicts what Farage said this morning on the Today programme. According to him, UKIP really do want a referendum in the next parliament, in fact are desperate for one and would do a deal with the devil to get one.

It's all getting very confusing.
    As i have stated often in the past, Farage and I have differing views on many issues. Unlike you I do not consider uncritical sycophancy to a leader to be an asset.
    But do you disagree with Farage on this one? It is rather important, isn't it?
    I agree with the fact that we want a referendum as soon as possible. I disagree with the idea that (if this is what Farage contends) it will be won as long as Cameron is still Prime Minister. But I am not sure Farage is actually saying that.

A referendum under a Labour government with a Tory party campaigning for Out will be a hell of a lot more winnable than one under a Tory government with Labour support for staying in.

A referendum under a Labour government with a Tory party campaigning for Out will be a hell of a lot more winnable than one under a Tory government with Labour support for staying in.

That sounds like the Nats argument that a Con lead in the polls or a Con PM will mean Yes can win - it's probably more the economic situation rather than the govt of the day. What you mean is you need an economic slump with a Eurozone crisis on top to win - who is PM is small beer.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,216

JohnO said:

We have no idea what will happen in the future beyond the fact that with Cameron in charge of the Tory party we will never leave the EU.

That directly contradicts what Farage said this morning on the Today programme. According to him, UKIP really do want a referendum in the next parliament, in fact are desperate for one and would do a deal with the devil to get one.

As i have stated often in the past, Farage and I have differing views on many issues. Unlike you I do not consider uncritical sycophancy to a leader to be an asset.
    I agree with the fact that we want a referendum as soon as possible. I disagree with the idea that (if this is what Farage contends) it will be won as long as Cameron is still Prime Minister. But I am not sure Farage is actually saying that.

I agree entirely with your second paragraph which is why you are so desperate for the Tories to lose next year even though the chances of Miliband ever offering an in-out referendum are almost non-existant.

Kippers = Revolutionary Defeatists 21 century style. LoL
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

I'm absolutely shocked by all the events involving the Police and their Federation. Shocked I tell you.

Just remember these are the people successive governments have wanted to give even more powers to snoop, arrest and detain without charge for 90 days ordinary members of the public.

Bugger the plebs, what about us proles?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2014
    corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

The Harrogate branch of the kippers have invited twitter users to explain why they will be voting UKIP on Thursday.

Twenty one thousand tweets have been sent to date.

This is my favourite:

Felicity Morse @FelicityMorse

#WhyImVotingUkip David Cameron didn't wish me happy birthday

"Top 21 reasons" here: http://bzfd.it/1lPkuo8

"...the public generally agree with Nigel Farage’s own assessment that UKIP is being victimised by “a political class” and “their mates in the media”. The majority (54%) of British adults agree with his statement"

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/20/voters-think-media-more-biased-against-UKIP/

I wonder how many of people will vote UKIP just to spite Westminster & media?
    But doesn't O'Flynn have any mates in the media?
    He may well be asking himself that question. :-)

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Apols if mentioned earlier

A £4.5m fraud trial halted due to disputes over legal aid cuts has been restarted after the court of appeal ruled that the defendants could receive a fair trial.

The ruling is a setback for the prime minister's brother, Alexander Cameron QC, who represented the men but will come as a relief to the justice secretary, Chris Grayling.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/may/21/fraud-trial-legal-aid-ruling-overturned-appeal-court

Crikey! I wonder what our resident legal experts, who were very vocal on here when the Southwark decision was made a couple of weeks back, will have to say about that.
  • Options

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

The Harrogate branch of the kippers have invited twitter users to explain why they will be voting UKIP on Thursday.

This is my favourite:

"...the public generally agree with Nigel Farage’s own assessment that UKIP is being victimised by “a political class” and “their mates in the media”. The majority (54%) of British adults agree with his statement"

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/20/voters-think-media-more-biased-against-UKIP/

O'Flynn is likely to become an MEP this weekend.

Having a Communications Director based in Bruxelles and Strasbourg may not be the best thing.

Oh wait, UKIP MEPs have the lowest attendance for MEPs.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Two fingers I see from Russia.

Russia signs 30-year gas deal with China

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27503017
  • Options
    corporeal said:

It's all about the f*cking plebs.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    edited May 2014

corporeal said:

I'm clearly a prole. I looked it up on wikipedia, and I certainly don't have 11,000 asses to rub together. Do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_ancient_Rome
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    edited May 2014
    If it is "Cowardly Cameron", then it is almost worth a narrow Labour victory to see what terms you come up with for Prime Minister Ed Miliband.

Especially when he puts Nigel Farage on the UK's 50 Euro note as a mark of gratitude. "Without him, none of this would have been possible..."

There is only one party that is going to give a shot at achieving what you want. SeanT may have called it a "pantomime renegotiation" - but the only other options are Theatre Dark.

At least with the Tories in a majority, you would get a chance to BOO the Euro Pantomime villains. Under Labour, they will become your overlords...without having any further say in it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    taffys said:

Still, they got Abu Hamza. You approve of that, I believe.

Goodness, what do you want, a medal?

The speedy expulsion of Hamsa, his family and contacts at a low cost to the tax payer should have been within the power of any government that thinks its first duty is to protect its ordinary and tax paying citizens.

The government failed on all those counts - though admittedly some of the reasons were not their fault.

I meant they the intelligence services, using electronic intelligence gathering.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

A £4.5m fraud trial halted due to disputes over legal aid cuts has been restarted after the court of appeal ruled that the defendants could receive a fair trial.

The ruling is a setback for the prime minister's brother, Alexander Cameron QC, who represented the men but will come as a relief to the justice secretary, Chris Grayling.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/may/21/fraud-trial-legal-aid-ruling-overturned-appeal-court

Crikey! I wonder what our resident legal experts, who were very vocal on here when the Southwark decision was made a couple of weeks back, will have to say about that.
    Probably suggest a Leveson, LJ inquiry.

• Options

I said at the time I agreed with them, but a strategy based on "poor barristers and solicitors" wouldn't have much traction with the public.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

JohnO said:

So you want a fight over EU membership, but only when the right UK government is in place, the chicken entrails point to a favourable outcome and Saturn is in conjunction with Mars in the house of Sagittarius?

In 2017 Cameron will be having mid-term, second-term blues and his support for In will be a massive boost for Out. If you don't think you can win in those circumstances, you don't think you can win.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,728

If it is "Cowardly Cameron", then it is almost worth a narrow Labour victory to see what terms you come up with for Prime Minister Ed Miliband.

Especially when he puts Nigel Farage on the UK's 50 Euro note as a mark of gratitude. "Without him, none of this would have been possible..."

There is only one party that is going to give a shot at achieving what you want. SeanT may have called it a "pantomime renegotiation" - but the only other options are Theatre Dark.

At least with the Tories in a majority, you would get a chance to BOO the Euro Pantomime villains. Under Labour, they will become your overlords...

But suppose Germany and France won't let Cameron renegotiate? Bang goes the in-out referendum...
  • Options
    edited May 2014

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

This is my favourite:

Having a Communications Director based in Bruxelles and Strasbourg may not be the best thing.

MEPs not maximising their per diem allowances? Cast them out!

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    I realise the photo of Ed was unappealing, but is a bacon sandwich really pleb food? I know plenty of top draw people who would happily eat one. Rather like fish and chips, it's one of those universals. They wouldn't be seen dead eating in a burger bar, though they might attend with their kids.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

I'm clearly a prole. I looked it up on wikipedia, and I certainly don't have 11,000 asses to rub together. Do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_ancient_Rome
    When I stare at another females bum I get a stare from my wife that could freeze mercury.

So Allah knows what her reaction would be if I rubbed 11,000 of them.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good to see Theresa May speaking her mind at the Police Federation conference.
  • Options

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

This is my favourite:

Would you like me to repeat some of Farage's quotes on his MEP allowances ?
  • Options

We better be nice to Noggin the Nog and the Northmen then - unless we want to see our lights go out... At least until we get fracking the f*ck out of our national supplies of natural gas.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    What is it about the Miliband brothers and them holding food in their hands and horrible photos?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,553

The "holy trail" deal which establishes global energy sales wholly independent of the US dollar. The beginning of the end of the petrodollar and all that entails

• Options

I realise the photo of Ed was unappealing, but is a bacon sandwich really pleb food? I know plenty of top draw people who would happily eat one. Rather like fish and chips, it's one of those universals. They wouldn't be seen dead eating in a burger bar, though they might attend with their kids.

Apparently there are such things as posh burger bars.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/53857/shamburger-osbornes-posh-patty-triggers-bun-fight
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

The bacon buttie transcends all classes Mr Booth, tis truly ambrosian in its appeal. - although Mrs SSC does not agree.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    More Why I am voting UKIP. This time a selection from The Times.

Now anyone chortling at EdM's bacon buttie photoshoot should look to College to see how it should be done:

twitter.com/incrediblyQ/status/468921625162051585/photo/1
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    TheScreamingEagles

Digital cameras and editorial bias.
  • Options
    I have a question re Bacon.

As a very good Muslim, I've never eaten bacon, is it as good as everyone says it is?
  • Options

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

This is my favourite:

Knock yourself out.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    @TheScreamingEagles

Depends on the bacon, most of it is bulk produced using saltpeter.
    It is basically salty fat with a chewy texture.
  • Options

But suppose Germany and France won't let Cameron renegotiate? Bang goes the in-out referendum...

No - at that point Cameron has to decide if he is prepared to support the status quo and back Yes. The Kippers have reached the conclusion that he will automatically go Yes. He has to put on his poker face though - and have Europe believe that, if Europe says no to renegotiation, he could support No to the EU.

Clegg and Miliband have no interest in even trying to make the case. Neither has Farage - he wants us out, end of.

Unfortunately for all of them, the British people seem to be happiest with the idea of staying in - but on better terms.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Why TSE may be voting UKIP:

Shantel Burns @shantel121

#WhyImVotingUkip It hurts not to win the Eurovision.

Why all right thinking PBers might be voting UKIP:

Marcus Brigstocke @marcusbrig

#WhyImVotingUkip Because reading makes my eyes tired and thinking ideas through gives me nosebleeds.

The Times selection: http://bit.ly/1j7iBQR [mostly overlaps with buzzfeed selection].
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,001

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

This is my favourite:

A journalist with a big expense account based in Brussels and Strasbourg. What could possibly go wrong??!!

• Options

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

This is my favourite:

Knock yourself out.

Alas I have stuff to do now. I shall this evening if I'm not tired.

But I leave you with a new thread on one of colonies of England.

• Options
    As an aside TSE, Where does halal/kosher stand on wild boar?
  • Options

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

This is my favourite:

A journalist with a big expense account based in Brussels and Strasbourg. What could possibly go wrong??!!

Haha

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited May 2014
    The primaries are over, so I thought that would stop the relentless assault on my answering machine from pols begging for support, and in a new wrinkle, asking to join with them in sporting yet other pols running or office.

But no, I was wrong. There will be a Republican runoff election between David Perdue, 'businessman', and Rep Jack Kingston. The runoff election is on July 22, (two months - really???), so I have many more phone messages to look forward to.

Following my comment yesterday of the grandson of Jimmy Carter runnng for Governor in Georgia, I can further report that Perdue is a relative of the last Georgia governor, and the Demcratic candidate is the daughter of former Georgia US Senator Sam Nunn.

Looking back over the results from yesterday, it seems that the GOP has avoided some of the loony types from 2010 and 2012, and the internecine struggle with the Tea Party seems to have calmed down.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

As an aside TSE, Where does halal/kosher stand on wild boar?

I'm the last person you should ask on this.

My understand if it isn't a pig then you can eat it if it has been Halal'd
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

At least with the Tories in a majority, you would get a chance to BOO the Euro Pantomime villains. Under Labour, they will become your overlords...

Avast, Cap'n Doc. I fear you are mis-reading the situation. Let us, for the sake of argument, assume Cameron gets in with a majority in 2015. He then goes off to negotiate a new settlement for the UK in the EU. France, Germany and others tell him to piss off (as they will on any substantive point). The referendum will still happen and, here is the good bit, Cameron will campaign to stay in.

Cameron has already told us that he cannot envisage circumstances where it would be in the UKs interest to pull out. I think, therefore, that it would not be unfair to conclude that his whole negotiate and decide position is a sham and he is in fact being fundamentally dishonest.

Belike
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEagles
    In places like the Middle East. hallal/kosher has a perfectly rational basis.
    The ritual form of slaughter was also one of the most "humane ways of slaughter available at the time.
    Where Christianity had to move away from the strict dietary laws of it antecedents was because of the economic use of pigs/wild boar especially in the beech forests of northern Europe. (Beech mast is poisonous to horses and cattle, but boar and pigs could "clean" that up allowing livestock to graze on the open forest.)
    Practicality and humanity turned into dogma, and hence to an excuse for conflict.
    I wonder if this what what the prophets had in mind when they taught?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AveryLP said:

This is my favourite:

Thats an excellent reason. Shame on Cammo, he should at least sent a pasty.
This discussion has been closed.