Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON fights back against UKIP with what’s been hugely effect

Comments

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited April 2014
    It appears from the Mail article that Mr Weston was arrested on suspicion of having committed two offences:
    (1) Failure to comply with a direction to disperse, contrary to section 27(6) of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006.
    (2) Racially or religiously aggravated harassment, contrary to section 32(1) of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and section 2(1) of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

A direction to disperse under section 27 of the 2006 Act may only be given where 'the presence of the individual in that locality is likely, in all the circumstances, to cause or to contribute to the occurrence of alcohol-related crime or disorder in that locality, or to cause or to contribute to a repetition or continuance there of such crime or disorder' and the direction would contribute to the reduction or prevention of such crime and disorder.

The offence of harassment is committed when someone embarks on a course on conduct, which involves the harassment of any other person or persons. Harassment includes speech, and includes alarming the person or causing the person distress. Course of conduct means, in relation to one person, that the conduct must take place on at least two occasions. Where the conduct is in relation to more than one person, it must take place on one occasion in relation to each of those persons.

Racially or religiously aggravated means that
    'at the time of committing the offence, or immediately before or after doing so, the offender demonstrates towards the victim of the offence hostility based on the victim's membership (or presumed membership) of a racial or religious group; or
    (b) the offence is motivated (wholly or partly) by hostility towards members of a racial or religious group based on their membership of that group.'
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Shocking news about the death of the teacher in Leeds, will reopen the debate about metal detectors in schools
  • Options
    The CPS will be pleased to have seen Max Clifford convicted alongside Stuart Hall, even though neither are in Jimmy Saville's league or even Cyril Smith. I would imagine the Hamiltons will be opening a few vintages tonight too
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,123

Off-topic:

This is a classic. A developer wanted to build houses, but locals objected. He then applied for planning permission to knock down two of the objectors' houses, despite not owning them.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/rbnews/11098549.Developer_withdraws_application_to_demolish_opponents__homes/

I know of a case where the developer's published plans involved their own land, but also demolition of a friend's garage and building a widened access road over his land - and without any discussion with him. (They didn't even send him a neighbour notification). And the developers got planning permission! However, I suppose it means that he can now hold out for a lot more money should he ever wish to move ...

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @HYUFD

" will reopen the debate about metal detectors in schools "

Which in turn will lead certain people to invest in ceramic knife manufacturers.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,035
    Smarmeron said:

@HYUFD

" will reopen the debate about metal detectors in schools "

Which in turn will lead certain people to invest in ceramic knife manufacturers.

You think youth gangs will switch to ceramic blades, or you think people will invest foolishly into the manufacturers?
  • Options
    Yes Scotland are now attacking the Coalition's plans to make jobseekers sign on daily. Not sure this exactly helps their cause, considering those who go to work daily pay taxes to subsidise welfare it seems fair enough to me?
    https://twitter.com/YesScotland
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,554
    Scott_P said:

@davieclegg: You expect opponents to put the boot into Salmond. When Amnesty do it you know he's really said something stupid. http://t.co/l5DrpiN0IE

Not half as stupid as the crap you constantly post. Do you ever have a personal thought or opinion.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    HYUFD said:
    It is so bad to only support your rich chums.
  • Options
    @Quincel

There are dozens of manufacturers already, (Kitchen knives from Aldi among other sources).

As for people taking them? There seems to be a consensus amongst the public that knives are an arms race in school.
    The investment advice was slightly tongue in cheek, no one would think of profiting from violence...........^^
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes Scotland are now attacking the Coalition's plans to make jobseekers sign on daily. Not sure this exactly helps their cause, considering those who go to work daily pay taxes to subsidise welfare it seems fair enough to me?

No matter how you look at it , the policy is not to help anyone back into work , it is purely to stigmatise them and single them out as feckless. Will be the same as their ATOS policy , innocent people will be caught up in it and starve or commit suicide as we see today. Despicable policy by despicable millionaires. Tories and Labour should be publicly shamed for their nastiness.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,282
    HYUFD said:

Scotland is to the left of England, Salmond knows what he's doing with this one.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

[edited to remove irrelevance]
    HYUFD said:

Perhaps because it will end up costing a lot more in staff and bus/train costs and not produce proportionately more results than a weekly meeting? Twice a week perhaps, but five times a week?? And making them waste time hanging around is an odd way of encouraging them to be applying for jobs. Could be Willetts and tuition fees all over again.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,035
    Smarmeron said:

@Quincel

There are dozens of manufacturers already, (Kitchen knives from Aldi among other sources).

As for people taking them? There seems to be a consensus amongst the public that knives are an arms race in school.
    The investment advice was slightly tongue in cheek, no one would think of profiting from violence...........^^

I own two ceramic knives myself actually, gifts from a few years ago. They've never blunted one bit and remain astonishingly effective for chopping de-boned meat and vegetables (the latter tends not to need much filleting). Designed with rounded ends though, so you can't stab with them. Also small metal cores purely so they set off metal detectors, interestingly enough.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    David Mellor has told Sky News he hopes Max Clifford "rots in hell" following the guilty verdicts.

An rather robust outburst from Mellor - afterall, there are worse crimes than being tared and feathered as a Chelsea supporter..!
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

No matter how you look at it , the policy is not to help anyone back into work , it is purely to stigmatise them and single them out as feckless. Will be the same as their ATOS policy , innocent people will be caught up in it and starve or commit suicide as we see today. Despicable policy by despicable millionaires. Tories and Labour should be publicly shamed for their nastiness.
    But only if a person has been unemployed for 2 yrs and refuses to take up an offer of training.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    19 years ago a HM was stabbed, today a class teacher. It is a sad day for her family, colleagues and pupils, but an OTT response with metal detectors isn't necessary. There are some rough schools, but stabbings are very rare, not commonplace.

• Options
    @malcolmg

A great number of those who will be affected, will be those found fit for work by the "test", and are therefore liable to get sanctioned (mental health issues, and partial disabilities, etc,)

Very Christian of our glorious leader.

As an aside, passing the medical test is easier if you are swinging the lead, as you will have looked up the answers to give instead of being honest. (do a little research people)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The first quote was pretty accurate vis a vis Japan at the time.

Actually it was a quote about Islam from a book about the reconquest of Sudan (which coincidentally my great grandfather took part in). Japan were 'our guys' for another 30 years or so.
    Indeed they were - and co-belligerent allies in the Great War who e.g. occupied German possessions out East (I forget the exact details, but I recently discovered the Japanese national anthem in my grandparents' piano music collection). Lots of help from the Brits officially in things like developing their navy, and some illicit help too later on: the Master of Sempill couldn't keep up with the changes and ended up being prosecuted for helping the Japanese develop their naval aviation arm with British experience (he was a chum of the Archibald Ramsay MP who got the jail during WW2).

• Options
    philiph The average criminal barrister earns about £36,000 and they start on little more than minimum wage, unlike their civil and corporate lawyer counterparts, most criminal lawyers are not rich, and the handful of QCs who do earn 6 figures distort the average
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

But only if a person has been unemployed for 2 yrs and refuses to take up an offer of training.
    So you think paying G4S , Serco , etc 2 or 3 times the unemployment benefit to harass the few people who are long term layabouts rather than using the cash to provide the majority of unemployed people who really want jobs is a good idea.
    Maybe if they concentrated just a little bit on those really looking for work , ie NO zero hours contracts , living wage , etc. We would then be a lot better off and they could easily spot the ones who do not want to work.
    It is wasted money , spent on their chums just to humiliate people by nasty millionaires.
  • Options
    dr spyn Maybe, but even if killings are rare, particularly in inner city schools, basic checks seem a fair price to pay
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @ Mr. Jessop

"I know your dislike for Cameron is legendary on here, ..."

*blushes*
    I didn't realise my writing so was so avidly received

"... but at least he's been seen with a pint in his hand. ..."

Yes, and according to Herself who has watched such clips on television, he sips at it like a wimp who is desperately anxious to get back to wine - drinking beer just another Cameron PR stunt

"... If that's the case, your dislike for the pint-less Miliband must be epic? ..."

My contempt, he is beneath dislike, for Miliband knows no bounds. A more disgusting oxygen thief I can scarce imagine outside a a high security prison.

" ...Besides, I was born in South Derbyshire, so it must be a pint of Bass for me. Or if I'm in the Peaks, a bottle of the sublime Old Tom:

http://www.oldtombeer.co.uk/ "

I am usually very suspicious of bottled beers, but given that the brewers of Old Tom are clearly cat lovers I shall ask the local off-licence to get in a few bottles for me to try.
  • Options
    O/T but something for Mr @SeanT - official denial by Mr Carmichael that the Coalition is making any contingency planning for the event of a Yes vote. [Transcript of interview rather than comment, ,mostly]

http://wingsoverscotland.com/looking-out-for-portsmouth/#more-54132
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@davieclegg: You expect opponents to put the boot into Salmond. When Amnesty do it you know he's really said something stupid. http://t.co/l5DrpiN0IE

Not half as stupid as the crap you constantly post. Do you ever have a personal thought or opinion.
    Very inventive when it comes to ways of wriggling out of bets he thinks are 100% certain to win but wont place
  • Options
    Carnyx More regular checks seems to me, and I would imagine most taxpaying voters, perfectly sensible.
    Pulpstar Even in Scotland 82% support the welfare cap, 81% want benefits stopped for those who refuse offers of employment and a plurality want welfare to increase at less than 1% a year and believe the government has not been tough enough at getting the jobless into work http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5tdopkoktm/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-04-060113.pdf
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    Carnyx said:

O/T but something for Mr @SeanT - official denial by Mr Carmichael that the Coalition is making any contingency planning for the event of a Yes vote. [Transcript of interview rather than comment, ,mostly]

Have the scottish government made any ?
  • Options
    MalcolmG Getting people to work for their benefits is hardly starving them to death, without forgetting the growth of foodbanks now too
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,917
    re. Green PEB. US corporations doing what? v funny.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx, You cannot believe a word that windbag says. He said the SoS role should be scrapped and then when offered it he grabbed it and now thinks it is critical to have it. A money grabbing Lib Dem with no principles and would sell his granny for a pound.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Very droll Alan
  • Options
    @HYUFD

Try and find the number of sanctions the Job Center issues against those who are classed as "vulnerable"
    The targets that don't exist must be met ;-)
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,067

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

3 years, you have to be on JSA for a year before being referred to the Work Programme.

Daily signings can be very effective, a good adviser can give the customer something new to do every day (eg apply for a particular job) and keep up the momentum, making jobsearch a daily activity rather than something you do fortnightly just before signing on.

And for those people who are working while claiming benefits, a daily signing at different times can be very disruptive.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Very droll Alan
    Too easy malc. We know they've done diddly squat and their highly paid lawyers will try to hide the fact.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MalcolmG Getting people to work for their benefits is hardly starving them to death, without forgetting the growth of foodbanks now too

Dear dear, they are going to get them to pick shite up of the streets and beaches. AS I said do you think it is worth lining Serco , GS4 , etc pockets with at least 3 times the princely sum of £71 just to humiliate people. Would it not be better to firstly get the people who really want to work real jobs and then worry about the minimal amount of so called scroungers.
    This is not about helping long term unemployed into jobs. It is just punishment that will drag lots of people , similar to the ATOS death sentence , who really want a job into the clutches of these rapacious companies run by the Tories chums.
    Lots of wasted money , their chums pockets filled and they can claim to be tough on spongers, classy.
  • Options

I am usually very suspicious of bottled beers, but given that the brewers of Old Tom are clearly cat lovers I shall ask the local off-licence to get in a few bottles for me to try.

Much better on draught, one of my favourites. Worth seeking out next time you are in the Lake District (or elsewhere in Robinsons country)

• Options
    edited April 2014

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

3 years, you have to be on JSA for a year before being referred to the Work Programme.

Daily signings can be very effective, a good adviser can give the customer something new to do every day (eg apply for a particular job) and keep up the momentum, making jobsearch a daily activity rather than something you do fortnightly just before signing on.

And for those people who are working while claiming benefits, a daily signing at different times can be very disruptive.

John, how many times have you been unemployed and been helped down the jobcentre then. Or is it just a fantasy.

PS wonder when the workhouses and Gulags will be introduced
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,786

@ Mr. Jessop
    "I know your dislike for Cameron is legendary on here, ..."

*blushes*
    I didn't realise my writing so was so avidly received

"... but at least he's been seen with a pint in his hand. ..."

Yes, and according to Herself who has watched such clips on television, he sips at it like a wimp who is desperately anxious to get back to wine - drinking beer just another Cameron PR stunt

"... If that's the case, your dislike for the pint-less Miliband must be epic? ..."

My contempt, he is beneath dislike, for Miliband knows no bounds. A more disgusting oxygen thief I can scarce imagine outside a a high security prison.

" ...Besides, I was born in South Derbyshire, so it must be a pint of Bass for me. Or if I'm in the Peaks, a bottle of the sublime Old Tom:

http://www.oldtombeer.co.uk/ "

Be warned: it's strong stuff. We used to joke that in winter you could turn the bottle upside down and none would come out.

I have a friend (and old boss) who said the worst hangover he's ever had was on Old Tom, drunk whilst he was a student. One day when I was back in Derbyshire I bought a crate and took it back to him so he could relive the old days. The next day his dad died.

I'm not sure there's any connection, but he's asked me never even to mention the stuff again ...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Very droll Alan
    Too easy malc. We know they've done diddly squat and their highly paid lawyers will try to hide the fact.
    Alan, it will be a breeze , plans are detailed and ready to swing into action.
  • Options
    @JohnLiliburne

" a daily signing at different times can be very disruptive."

And for those dyslexics, people with already chaotic lives, and those with various other syndromes....it will be absolutely devastating.
    Still, you can ignore all of that and and carry on as usual
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,282
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx More regular checks seems to me, and I would imagine most taxpaying voters, perfectly sensible.
    Pulpstar Even in Scotland 82% support the welfare cap, 81% want benefits stopped for those who refuse offers of employment and a plurality want welfare to increase at less than 1% a year and believe the government has not been tough enough at getting the jobless into work http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5tdopkoktm/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-04-060113.pdf

The welfare cap and this policy are two different things.
  • Options
    Smarmeron Provided you turn up and sign up when supposed too and are looking for work you should not face a sanction, in any cases where sanctions have been wrongly applied that is a case for investigation, but the principle is a good one
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Very droll Alan
    really ? Which currency will you be using and what's the contingency when you can't have it ?
  • Options
    cameodelcameodel Posts: 3
    Afraid it will take more than a slick American marketing ploy to rescue the Tories, a good start would be a little honesty, a commitment to their manifesto, the dropping of items not in their manifesto, a return to conservatism with a different message from the others, a return to reasonable debate in place of smears & insults, a new leader who listens to his supporters & party....not going to happen is it...well nor is another Tory government....promise!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JohnLiliburne

And for those dyslexics, people with already chaotic lives, and those with various other syndromes....it will be absolutely devastating.

I would have thought it would act as an incentive to those with chaotic lives to sort themselves out. They won't find work otherwise. Not sure the dyslexic thing is a real problem, most people with dyslexia find a way to live a pretty normal life including being able to turn up to appointments on time.

• Options
    Look up just how many sanctions were issued last year, absolutely fairly of course, then think of the fact that the real lead swingers know how to work the system.
    Self employment is very profitable for almost zero work, ask one of the privatized work advisers.

Ignorance is bliss, and a good bit of "them-ism" never hurts a political party or dictator.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Very droll Alan
    really ? Which currency will you be using and what's the contingency when you can't have it ?
    *sniggers*

Why this site has an off-topic button but not a like button I shall never understand.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    I've not voted Ukip yet, but if I do so next month, you can be reassured that I'll be comfortable with the insults flung at them.

If, as expected, I vote LD in 2015, I might keep that quiet - the embarrassment, you see.

And this from a man who voted Labour when Michael Foot was in charge.
  • Options
    @JohnLilburne

It's well known who the staff target, If you have been hauled up for seeming to be a bit lax, the easiest clients to sanction are the ones who aren't smart enough.
    Still, it get the boss off your back.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,010

Do you really think the Job centre people have been given additional time or resources to provide 1 to 1 support for the long term unemployed?

Reality is some poor sod is going to have to deal with everyone signing on daily in what was their tea break as we all know their other workload won't have been reduced....

• Options

Carnyx said:

As so often, I refer you to the White Paper - and note the failure of the London Government (or more precisely the Government in London) to cooperate when it would help clarify matters (eg. in asking the EU about Scottish membership). It's hard to plan when one partner is being deliberately obstructive, or in denial of a fair probability of reality.

• Options
    Malcolmg The economy is now growing and more jobs are being created, it seems perfectly sensible to me to get more people looking for work and in the condition they can take on those jobs.

Pulpstar As I also wrote a plurality of Scots believe the government has not been tough enough at getting the jobless off benefits and into work
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    Smarmeron said:

@JohnLiliburne

Almost as destructive and devastating as treble shift work and I only had to suffer 30 yrs of that.

Excuse me for having little sympathy for someone who refuses training after 3 yrs of the dole.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Socrates said:

How absurd a position have we got to in modern Britain that, when a man gets arrested for quoting a book by Winston Churchill, the media doesn't report the actual quote that caused the arrest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-27186573

Certain opinions are now completely off limits to us. Media outlets who don't agree with them aren't even allowed to reproduce them, in case us plebeians take them to heart. And claims liberals in government don't give a damn about it.

He wasn't arrested for quoting from a book by Churchill; he was arrested for failing to abide by a dispersal order.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Dear dear, they are going to get them to pick shite up of the streets and beaches. AS I said do you think it is worth lining Serco , GS4 , etc pockets with at least 3 times the princely sum of £71 just to humiliate people. Would it not be better to firstly get the people who really want to work real jobs and then worry about the minimal amount of so called scroungers.
    This is not about helping long term unemployed into jobs. It is just punishment that will drag lots of people , similar to the ATOS death sentence , who really want a job into the clutches of these rapacious companies run by the Tories chums.
    Lots of wasted money , their chums pockets filled and they can claim to be tough on spongers, classy.
    Those businesses lost work south of the border, but were given new contracts by their chums in Scotlañd.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/g4s-and-serco-to-keep-scottish-contracts-1-3231503

How funny.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

As so often, I refer you to the White Paper - and note the failure of the London Government (or more precisely the Government in London) to cooperate when it would help clarify matters (eg. in asking the EU about Scottish membership). It's hard to plan when one partner is being deliberately obstructive, or in denial of a fair probability of reality.

Why the hell should they ? If Scots want to make their way in the world then so be it, if you get there we might get round to it . Since you're also part of a greater European Union why aren't you griping about their lack of plans too, they'll have probably an even bigger effect on you than divorce a la britannique ?

Or haven't you thought that out yet ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Smarmeron Provided you turn up and sign up when supposed too and are looking for work you should not face a sanction, in any cases where sanctions have been wrongly applied that is a case for investigation, but the principle is a good one

The problem is the delays in sorting such things out - hence the need for food banks. I'm not in favour of idleness at all - 2 meetings a week may well be a good idea, but five when we are seeing a degree of blatant inefficiency of administration, whether through ineptness or deliberate. I'm coming more and more to wonder almost if I am seeing a return to the good old days of the Speenhamland System as in e.g. Dorset in the mid-C19 - use the poorhouse to force people to work underpaid with their wages topped up by the taxpayers to the profit of the landowners and farmers.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    corporeal said:

Socrates said:

corporeal said:

Socrates said:

corporeal said:

MrJones said:

corporeal said:

Let's be honest, that it's a Churchill quote doesn't guarantee much. At various times Churchill said/supported things that we'd now find utterly repulsive.

No doubt but if it's illegal to quote something that's in a book is it illegal to own or lend or sell the same book?
    No.

The articles say he was arrested for harassment, so owning the books (or, I suspect, saying it in a way that didn't involve a the steps of a public building and a megaphone) wouldn't even nearly apply.
    He was also arrested for inciting religious hatred. Which is insane. And no, views should not be illegal because others find them "repulsive".
    Source? Because the two links provided all list harassment and make no mention of inciting hatred.

(And with harassment it's not the views themselves that are illegal but how he expressed them).
    Having looked again, I was wrong. It was indeed harassment rather than hatred. So on the harassment charge, what was "harassing" about them? Because not one of the media reports mention anything about him going after individuals. He made a speech from outside the guildhall.
    Behaviour that is disorderly, offensive, insulting, and/or something something. Doesn't have to be directed at individuals, impossible to commit in your home. Or something.

(Warning, my hasty recollections of what harassment is should not be taken as legal advice).
    We regularly say things that are insulting towards other belief systems. Why on Earth are religions protected? We all need to accept things are said about our own beliefs that we feel insulted by.
  • Options
    Carnyx I understand the jobless will be working in the voluntary sector so the taxpayer will not be 'topping' up the profit of bosses in the private sector or taking jobs from others, but anyway we will have to see what the detail of the proposals are once they are put forward
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You see, Mr. Brooke, its all the fault of the English that nobody on the Yes campaign seems to have a soddin' clue about currency, EU membership, NATO, projected iScotland finances etc. etc.. So, no more of your pointing out the bleedin' obvious, thank you very much. Just put on the sackcloth and ashes and lets have few more expressions of guilt.
  • Options
    @Carnyx

Yes, employment at zero cost to the employer will get our economy moving.
    Build some camps and put the shiftless in there, thus freeing homes for the hard working.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You see, Mr. Brooke, its all the fault of the English that nobody on the Yes campaign seems to have a soddin' clue about currency, EU membership, NATO, projected iScotland finances etc. etc.. So, no more of your pointing out the bleedin' obvious, thank you very much. Just put on the sackcloth and ashes and lets have few more expressions of guilt.
    Mr L they have a white paper. It has a great big wish list of all the things that will happen post Indy from a free Aurora Borealis in your bedroom every night to the end of poverty famine and war.

Or you could just recognise it as yet more spin and use it on the fire over winter. At least that way it would be of some use.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Farage in Pompey

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 5m
    Standing ovation just for Farage arriving on stage. Farage tells them Ukip govt will restore the Royal Navy presence pic.twitter.com/HqVeOgcgOQ
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    National Collective ‏@WeAreNational

No campaign in crisis after minister admits currency union ban was a bluff

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/pro-union-campaign-in-crisis-after-minister-admits-currency-union-ban-was-a-bluff.23823233 … #IndyRef

*snigger*

Always remember the PB Golden Rule.

The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.

:)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    " ... people to work underpaid with their wages topped up by the taxpayers to the profit of the landowners and farmers ...."

Given the scale of in work benefits I think we have been in that position for some years. Of course it isn't so much the landowners and farmers that benefit these days more multinationals and, those favourites of the politicians, the entrepreneurs.

Identifying the problem is easy, how it can be solved is another matter.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eck's great plan is inspired by this film clip.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x4C9HuLu4B0
  • Options
    @HurstLlama

"Identifying the problem is easy, how it can be solved is another matter."

I thought that's what we paid politicians to do? Fapping about with half baked "vote catchers" is what we seem to get.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

" ... people to work underpaid with their wages topped up by the taxpayers to the profit of the landowners and farmers ...."

Given the scale of in work benefits I think we have been in that position for some years. Of course it isn't so much the landowners and farmers that benefit these days more multinationals and, those favourites, of the politicians the entrepreneurs.

Identifying the problem is easy, how it can be solved is another matter.

Ah but if Gordon Brown subsidises employers through credits then it's called getting people back in to work and you can sleep safely knowing Starbucks have got their cheap Labour ethically

. If anyone else does it it's quite clearly exploitation.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

The real "something for nothing culture"?
    At least Starbucks have offered to pay a bit of tax....so we should all be grateful.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Mr L they have a white paper. It has a great big wish list of all the things that will happen post Indy from a free Aurora Borealis in your bedroom every night to the end of poverty famine and war.

Or you could just recognise it as yet more spin and use it on the fire over winter. At least that way it would be of some use.
    Now, now, Mr, B.. It doesn't matter what you and I think of The White Paper. Carnyx has made it quite clear that any gap between the contents of The White Paper and reality is entirely the fault of the English. So we must not carp of criticise and if you would shoulder your share of the guilt burden it would be helpful because my back is killing me this evening.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke

The real "something for nothing culture"?
    At least Starbucks have offered to pay a bit of tax....so we should all be grateful.

On that basis we should worship Bernie Ecclestone.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JGForsyth: Farage claims political class commitment's to Britain's EU membership is a product of their loss of national self confidence post Suez
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Now, now, Mr, B.. It doesn't matter what you and I think of The White Paper. Carnyx has made it quite clear that any gap between the contents of The White Paper and reality is entirely the fault of the English. So we must not carp of criticise and if you would shoulder your share of the guilt burden it would be helpful because my back is killing me this evening.
    I was hoping NI might share some of the blame too, but we're so crammed with cliquey calvinists Carnyx won't blame his rellies. Maybe if we send him back Paisley Junior we'll get him to crack.
  • Options
    Very magnanimous of our Bernie, and all the others who can come to an "arrangement".
    Offering the same to benefits cheats would save prison space?....

Don't choke on the champers at the back..you know THAT wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Very magnanimous of our Bernie, and all the others who can come to an "arrangement".
    Offering the same to benefits cheats would save prison space?....

Don't choke on the champers at the back..you know THAT wouldn't happen.

He was very generous to Tony.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eck's great plan is inspired by this film clip.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x4C9HuLu4B0
    Dear, Mr. Watcher, You owe me one new keyboard, this one is covered in spluttered whiskey (medicinal).
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke
    Business always donates to the Tories, even if they call themselves "Labour"
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke
    Business always donates to the Tories, even if they call themselves "Labour"

But why do Labourites vote for them ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,160
    Good evening, everyone.

Watched another Farscape tonight (Pick, weekdays at 6.55pm). Plots much more original and coherent (ie they actually make bloody sense) than New Who. It'll be interesting to see if Stark annoys me as much as he did the first time.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@Carnyx

Yes, employment at zero cost to the employer will get our economy moving.
    Build some camps and put the shiftless in there, thus freeing homes for the hard working.

WWJCD?

Daily_Express ‏@Daily_Express

David Cameron claims 'Big Society' is the work of Jesus, as he calls himself 'Dyno-rod' http://dexpr.es/1eu4rrT

*tears of laughter etc.*

Poor old PB tories. You couldn't make it up etc. ;)
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

Mainly because I thought he couldn't be worse than Thatcher. Unfortunately he was just as mathematically challenged.

(Not that he or the rest can't do the maths......They just solve the wrong problem)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Well was anyone on the phone to DC? I would be interested to learn how it went now that we have blown out the candles.

BTW with some help from @John_O who acted as an intermediary Tim has promptly paid his outstanding wager with me. I am doubling it and forwarding it to Better Together tomorrow.
  • Options
    @DavidL
    I saved the cost of the phonecall.....I prayed to him instead.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @DavidL

Tsk, the cocktail fund would have been a much more deserving cause for the winnings!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I was hoping NI might share some of the blame too, but we're so crammed with cliquey calvinists Carnyx won't blame his rellies. Maybe if we send him back Paisley Junior we'll get him to crack.
    Ah, you have got me there. My knowledge of NI politics was limited to trying to stop followers of certain, now, prominent politicians blowing holes in people (including, at times, me). However, if, as you suggest, Carnyx is a Calvinist, there is no point in even feeling guilty as its all pre-ordained anyway.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@DavidL

Tsk, the cocktail fund would have been a much more deserving cause for the winnings!

Nonsense Neil, think of the hours of non-stop fun to be had with Indyref2. It could even be a 5 year campaign next time.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    Neil said:

@DavidL

Believe me, I was tempted to expropriate the dosh for our tincture of naughtiness.

Good on tim for paying up!
  • Options

Neil said:

@DavidL

Nonsense Neil, think of the hours of non-stop fun to be had with Indyref2. It could even be a 5 year campaign next time.
    Oh lord, surely not.

• Options
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

@DavidL

Believe me, I was tempted to expropriate the dosh for our tincture of naughtiness.

Mr O since you appear to be the PB clairvoyant, any chance you could summon up the spirit of Roger ?

I do miss the old fellow and hate to think of him wasting his life on the Cote d'Azur endlessly quaffing champagne when he could be having a totally pointless argument with someone he's never met on PB.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Neil said:

@DavidL

Mr O since you appear to be the PB clairvoyant, any chance you could summon up the spirit of Roger ?

I do miss the old fellow and hate to think of him wasting his life on the Cote d'Azur endlessly quaffing champagne when he could be having a totally pointless argument with someone he's never met on PB.
    You are on fire tonight although the Scottish Government one will be hard to beat.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    JohnO said:

I have an early flight on Saturday morning so there is a strict 2 cocktail limit on Friday!
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited April 2014
    Oh dear just heard the news about Max Clifford. And he seemed such a nice bloke as well.

Teenage boys everywhere will be consulting their lawyers after the guilty verdict where he was found to have "manipulated teenage girls into performing sex acts".
  • Options

JohnO said:

Neil said:

@DavidL

Funny enough I do have his e-mail as well: Roger was at the first ever pb drinkkies in summer 2005.
  • Options
    Nighthawks is now open
  • Options
    Neil said:

JohnO said:

I have an early flight on Saturday morning so there is a strict 2 cocktail limit on Friday!
    Stick with me, baby, and you'll end up in Tashkent.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am doubling it and forwarding it to Better Together tomorrow.

Crisis over.

LOL
  • Options

Oh dear just heard the news about Max Clifford. And he seemed such a nice bloke as well.

If you listen hard enough you might hear the sound of skeletons rattling around the closets of some amusing celebs and politicians as old Cliffy prepares his 'nuclear option.'

Nor will it be the last time such a strategy is employed.

:)
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Neil said:

@DavidL

Funny enough I do have his e-mail as well: Roger was at the first ever pb drinkkies in summer 2005.
    John,

I've sent him a message via Vanilla but don't know if he'll get it, would appreciate if you could give him a nudge.

Thanks.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Now, now, I didn't say English. I said the Government in London. Not the same thing at all, at least in principle. And the point remains: to refuse information and simultaneously to crow about the consequences is not a mature policy.

This discussion has been closed.