Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s striking about the Maria Miller polling is that CON

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TOPPING said:

How do you sack someone for being a shit, though?

In the case of Brian Coleman prolonged exposure to voters eventually did the trick.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,545

It's the Daily Mail. They're too busy posting selfies of Kardashians to bother about proper reporting.

Note the classic Mail technique of picking the most expensive room in the hotel at the most expensive time and using the price of that - £2,500 - right through the article as if that was what the taxpayer paid to put this person up on business for the night. Obviously they don't actually specifically say they paid that price, since they have no evidence they did.

Anyone else planning a gay sex romp in the Manchester Light ApartHotel will be happy to know there are rooms on Expedia for as little as £75.
    Damn you TFS you forced me onto the DM online where I was captured by the Sidebar of Shame for several minutes and I've only just been able to drag myself back here.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    TOPPING said:

Miller, as has been pointed out with ample reference to the Committee's report, did little wrong although the miscalculation of interest payments over the course of a full year as they fell from 5% to where they are now is surely no small matter. We are all saying "it's only £5,800" but that is still non-trivial. Nevertheless, she did not defraud the state on account of her parents or the increased mortgage.

The bigger question for me, however, is her sheer nasty, bullying, deviousness about it all which betrays a hugely unattractive solipsism if nothing else.

How do you sack someone for being a shit, though?

Shits don't get sacked.

Their shittiness is one of the main reasons they get promoted to positions of power.

Unfortunately.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

So the governor of the BoE is a liar according to the Nats ? So why would you want to use a currency run by this man ?

Too scared ?

Dear dear Flash , you are so stupid you think treasury is BofE. Perhaps if you were able to read you would know it was referring to that lying civil servant Sir Nicholas MacPherson, who uttered the lies on the orders of his boss Gideon. He cannot even find the fag packet his advice was written on.
    I bet it's been filed with salmond's EU advice. :-)
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2014

Carola said:

I think another 'tell' re when the battle's lost is the number of defence lines that get rolled out. So far I've heard/read it's because of Leveson, her stance re gay marriage, that she's a woman.
    I reckon a two defence limit would be a good marker.
    She could have stepped back from her post, done her time out and taken it from there. Now it's an ever increasing circle. Again.

I am not fighting any battles for politicians, they are all as bad as each other, if I am fighting a battle its against the vile Daily Mail, which I absolutely abhor. It wouldn't know the truth if was placed right in front of it, and if it knew the truth it would somehow distort it for its own ends.
    That is a sweeping statement bereft of any balanced view. Clearly you are unaware of the role that the Mail took in the Stephen Lawrence campaign?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,158
    Neil said:

Anyone else planning a gay sex romp in the Manchester Light ApartHotel will be happy to know there are rooms on Expedia for as little as £75.

At that price it would almost be silly *not* to organise a gay sex romp in the Manchester Light ApartHotel!
    Be sure to check with them first - maybe they charge by the romper.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's the Daily Mail. They're too busy posting selfies of Kardashians to bother about proper reporting.

Note the classic Mail technique of picking the most expensive room in the hotel at the most expensive time and using the price of that - £2,500 - right through the article as if that was what the taxpayer paid to put this person up on business for the night. Obviously they don't actually specifically say they paid that price, since they have no evidence they did.

Damn you TFS you forced me onto the DM online where I was captured by the Sidebar of Shame for several minutes and I've only just been able to drag myself back here.
    It's great isn't it? Photos of American "stars" we've never heard of, upskirt pics of celebs falling out of clubs, and z listers showing off "stunning bikini body", all using Amercanisms like "mom" and "posing up a storm", at the same time as campaigning to protect children from online smut.
    It's superb!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

At that price it would almost be silly *not* to organise a gay sex romp in the Manchester Light ApartHotel!
    Be sure to check with them first - maybe they charge by the romper.
    That would still be 75 per night by the standards of my usual gay sex romps.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Carola said:

I think another 'tell' re when the battle's lost is the number of defence lines that get rolled out. So far I've heard/read it's because of Leveson, her stance re gay marriage, that she's a woman.
    She could have stepped back from her post, done her time out and taken it from there. Now it's an ever increasing circle. Again.

I am not fighting any battles for politicians, they are all as bad as each other, if I am fighting a battle its against the vile Daily Mail, which I absolutely abhor. It wouldn't know the truth if was placed right in front of it, and if it knew the truth it would somehow distort it for its own ends.
    That is a sweeping statement bereft of any balanced view. Clearly you are unaware of the role that the Mail took in the Stephen Lawrence campaign?
    Its a generalisation, what percentage of the Daily Mail output would you think was truthful?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "How do you sack someone for being a shit, though?"

In politics, were the normal employment laws do not apply, its easy, "Smethers, you are fired off to the backbenches with you", would probably do the trick.

Outside politics it is a little more complicated but still not difficult. Someone who is a shit will at some point say something unpleasant to or about another employee who is a member of the opposite sex or some minority or other. Just make sure that remark is captured in a contemporaneous note and at least one person felt offended and or threatened. At that point you have them, a charge of gross misconduct by way of -ist bullying will see you safely through any subsequent industrial tribunal.
  • Options
    With summer approaching, this is what we all need to know. Cover up your face not your genitals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2598002/Sting-scrotum-painful-nose-far-worse-Scientist-let-bees-attack-body-five-times-day-research.html
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    It's all kicking off at the Sheffield half marathon.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

Good Morning. Been out leafleting for UKIP this morning, Luckily the rain stopped for my foray. ;)

OT: Cammo, like the donkey he is, has a mulish streak and will try to hold on to Miller as long as possible. However, even donkeys have to let go sometime.

How do donkeys hold on to something?
    They have no fingers, let alone opposable thumbs.
    Thanks
    The Metaphor Pedant
    Teeth?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Good Morning. Been out leafleting for UKIP this morning, Luckily the rain stopped for my foray. ;)

Best to get the leafletting done before the gays check out of the Manchester Light ApartHotel.

What old school tie do you wear when canvassing, Mike?
  • Options
    Carola said:

Bloody runners should supply their own water!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Ukip would fail to take Folkestone & Hythe even with Farage as their candidate, although they would replace the Lib Dems as the opposition in the seat:

http://survation.com/2014/04/can-nigel-farage-really-win-a-seat-in-westminster-new-polling-in-folkestone-hythe/
  • Options
    VI figures from the Survation poll of Folkestone & Hythe

Conservative – 36 (-13)
    UKIP – 33% (+28)
    Labour – 18 (+7)
    Liberal Democrat – 8 (-22)
    Others – 3% (-1)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

Some anti-Tory-inclined people here, including myself, are seeing a nasty, probably unfair media pile-on on this minister. Since we generally dislike what we see as the hysteria of the right-wing press as much or more than we dislike the Tories, that feeling may be providing a counter-weight to the normal tendency for people to be relaxed about things their side does and outraged about things the other side does.

PS The way the (reasonably fairly phrased) question is put most people are inevitably going to go for the "resign" side. What we really need to know is how much they care about it. The online pollsters should put in some kind of salience tracking measurement, like showing a bunch of different pictures of ministers and asking you which one you'd most like to slap.

Edmund - completely agree. The whole episode is very sinister - reminiscent of the Harman circus. Unedifying and characteristic of a rightwing press that has become a seething caricature of itself.
    Hey Boba

Would you pick john Terry for the England World Cup squad if you were manager?
    No. Nasty piece of work who disrupts the dressing room. Albeit not guilty.
    Are you likening Miller to him?
    Also our best/most experienced/successful centre half who plays club football captaining our other centre half and left back, who gave evidence in his favour in court.

I just noticed that you said she was found not guilty and dveryone should back off. Terry was found not guilty also, and far from being incompetent and over promoted, as people say of Miller, he is the best we have.

Double standards.

Are you going to apologise for getting me banned under false pretences? Surely that's the right thing to do
  • Options

People continually talk about the great north-south divide and the London- the rest divide. I am increasingly struck by the huge and growing divide within Scotland between the small, mostly metropolitan elite and the rest. Those who are totally convinced NO will win are overwhelmingly well paid, middle class graduates. Those who actually speak to ordinary people in the street or the housing estates or in the rural communities will hear a totally different picture. Interesting that the DKs break 2-1 in favour of YES rather than NO. Considering we still have Bannockburn 700, Ryder Cup, Commonwealth Games etc all still to come, no wonder A Darling of the Parish of Edinburgh was somewhat tetchy on Marr this morning.

You forgot to mention the Mens World Soccer Finals in Brazil.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Ukip would fail to take Folkestone & Hythe even with Farage as their candidate, although they would replace the Lib Dems as the opposition in the seat:

http://survation.com/2014/04/can-nigel-farage-really-win-a-seat-in-westminster-new-polling-in-folkestone-hythe/

Only 3% behind, though. Substitute a seat with slightly better demographics (say one of the Thanets) and preferably no incumbent (South Thanet, and possibly North, depending whether Roger Gale's health holds up) and he'd be in on those figures.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Mr MikeK; the only thing worse than leafleting in the rain is canvassing in it!

Must confess I’ve never tried doing either when it was snowing, though!

That’s not saying I’m in favour of your "back to the 50’s" lot, though!

Actually, we are looking forward to the future, although if you had lived through the fifties you might have liked it.
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

Some anti-Tory-inclined people here, including myself, are seeing a nasty, probably unfair media pile-on on this minister. Since we generally dislike what we see as the hysteria of the right-wing press as much or more than we dislike the Tories, that feeling may be providing a counter-weight to the normal tendency for people to be relaxed about things their side does and outraged about things the other side does.

PS The way the (reasonably fairly phrased) question is put most people are inevitably going to go for the "resign" side. What we really need to know is how much they care about it. The online pollsters should put in some kind of salience tracking measurement, like showing a bunch of different pictures of ministers and asking you which one you'd most like to slap.

Edmund - completely agree. The whole episode is very sinister - reminiscent of the Harman circus. Unedifying and characteristic of a rightwing press that has become a seething caricature of itself.
    Hey Boba

Also our best/most experienced/successful centre half who plays club football captaining our other centre half and left back, who gave evidence in his favour in court.

I just noticed that you said she was found not guilty and dveryone should back off. Terry was found not guilty also, and far from being incompetent and over promoted, as people say of Miller, he is the best we have.

Double standards.

Are you going to apologise for getting me banned under false pretences? Surely that's the right thing to do

If Terry is the best we've got, then we might as well not bother turning up in Rio!

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,224

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

So the governor of the BoE is a liar according to the Nats ? So why would you want to use a currency run by this man ?

Too scared ?

Dear dear Flash , you are so stupid you think treasury is BofE. Perhaps if you were able to read you would know it was referring to that lying civil servant Sir Nicholas MacPherson, who uttered the lies on the orders of his boss Gideon. He cannot even find the fag packet his advice was written on.
    Alan, their lies are being outed every day now, they are in trouble.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Ouch
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

Don't be ridiculous Salmond's lies are exposed every day and it does him no harm.
  • Options

Millsy said:

Only 3% behind, though. Substitute a seat with slightly better demographics (say one of the Thanets) and preferably no incumbent (South Thanet, and possibly North, depending whether Roger Gale's health holds up) and he'd be in on those figures.
    Very true, there are probably a dozen better seats for Farage to pick, even something in Cambridgeshire would be better than a stereotypical Kent Tory seat
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Millsy said:

Ouch
    Decapitation strategy from 2005 going well
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

Best to get the leafletting done before the gays check out of the Manchester Light ApartHotel.

My old school tie is the evacuees school tie. I went to five or six schools from 1939 to 1944, so I was, although hungry for education, poorly educated. It was only after I was demobbed in 1954 that I started studying in earnest.

BTW, I will be celebrating my 80th birthday at the end of the month. My one wish for the start of my 9th decade is for the triumph of UKIP.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    MikeK said:

Mr MikeK; the only thing worse than leafleting in the rain is canvassing in it!

Must confess I’ve never tried doing either when it was snowing, though!

That’s not saying I’m in favour of your "back to the 50’s" lot, though!

Actually, we are looking forward to the future, although if you had lived through the fifties you might have liked it.
    Oh, I did live through the 50’s. In fact that was when I finished school, went to college and started work. First, second, etc serious girl-friends.
    All the rest of it.
    And yes I did enjoy it. Some of it anyway. But I don’t want those days back.
  • Options

Millsy said:

Perhaps 'College' should consider a Scottish seat.

It might help UKIP gain "major party" status from Ofcom in 2020.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090

isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

Hey Boba

Double standards.

If Terry is the best we've got, then we might as well not bother turning up in Rio!

Always best to have players that play for same successful club side in international teams I think.

Although they weren't individually the best players, it baffled me that England's back five for most of the 90s wasn't Seaman, Dixon, Bould, Adams, Winterburn. Clean sheet kings domestically and in Europe, Knew each others game inside out. Would have given the manager more time to devote to attacking play as they could look after themselves.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Millsy said:

Ouch
    Decapitation strategy from 2005 going well
    Looking on the bright side, for the theory that the LibDem incumbents' votes are going to hold up to in the face of a collapse in the national vote share to be right, a lot of LibDem votes should be vanishing in seats like this where they're placed second or third.

Also in this poll I wonder how much of the swing is LibDems going UKIP, and whether there's any appreciable tactical move from LibDem to Con to keep Farage out. Arguably the latter would be a good reason for Farage to run in a seat like South Thanet or Eastleigh where Lab or Lib are in with a decent chance as well as Con, because it stops the anti-Kipper vote from getting behind the Tory.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited April 2014
    Millsy said:

VI figures from the Survation poll of Folkestone & Hythe

Conservative – 36 (-13)
    UKIP – 33% (+28)
    Labour – 18 (+7)
    Others – 3% (-1)

The problem with giving those VI changes is that according to the Survation poll the weighted sample voted in 2010 Con 54% LD 19% Lab 19% UKIP 8%
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

My old school tie is the evacuees school tie. I went to five or six schools from 1939 to 1944, so I was, although hungry for education, poorly educated. It was only after I was demobbed in 1954 that I started studying in earnest.

BTW, I will be celebrating my 80th birthday at the end of the month. My one wish for the start of my 9th decade is for the triumph of UKIP.
    There is an old school tie for everyone, Mike.

Here is yours!

http://bit.ly/1mSAXvN

Whole page of them here:

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/evacuation+ties

Let us know the date of your 80th and we might be able to tidy you up for more canvassing! Nothing like outsmarting your Leader.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Yes sack her. My Paddy Power account could do with the top up.
  • Options
    Carola said:

I did that a couple of years back.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

Don't be ridiculous Salmond's lies are exposed every day and it does him no harm.
    Alan, You are being taken in
  • Options

Carola said:

Its a generalisation, what percentage of the Daily Mail output would you think was truthful?
    I would guess that it is 80%+ truthful but let us judge a paper by the education of its readers. It does have the 2nd highest readership and the highest of the non-red tops. Over 2.5 million readers are in the ABC1 demographic. It is the favourite paper of GE2010 LD voters.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Has the Yougov Westminster VI been posted? It has been given the full squirrel treatment on this and the last thread, so I assume it is not the flavour of the month.
  • Options

Has the Yougov Westminster VI been posted? It has been given the full squirrel treatment on this and the last thread, so I assume it is not the flavour of the month.

Yesterday's news, 'pouter.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Oh goody, what was yesterdays news?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Millsy said:

Avery, UKIP would not even keep their deposit in Scotland
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

taken in how ? Salmond's just like Brown, he's so fixated on getting the top job he hasn't thought what he'll do if he gets it.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    What's happened to the East Midlands? Didn't Kilroy Silk stand in Erewash because it had the largest Ukip vote in 2004? Is there potential for Ukip there. Incidentally it's about the furthest away from the sea you can get in this country (actually Derbyshire). If not Erewash, how about neighbouring marginal constituency with a pinko Tory candidate - Broxtowe, or perhaps that's wishful thinking.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

..... For the last time, IT'S NOT JUST THE SEATS
    Losing the MPs would be bad for the Left, but losing everything else Scotland represents would be worse. As the man said: .........
    It would take Labour 15-20 years to recover from YES. The end result would be a Labour Party, and a rUK, further to the right. Denying this is futile, and revealing.

Ah yes really tragic, but a blessing for the UK. Forcing Scotland to face up to its socialist statist burdens would be a blessing for Scots, eventually.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

This post explains a lot of your attitudes. You seem to yearn for a mythical Britain of the fifties. It's a, sadly, common attitude amongst people of your generation.
  • Options
    Not a particularly warm day in Sheffield, people will be fine without water tbh.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Don't worry your little yellow boxes, I have just found it on UKPR. Ed really is crap....39%....I mean 39%. What has happened to his Hodges 35% plan, get a grip Ed.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AveryLP said:

Millsy said:

Avery, UKIP would not even keep their deposit in Scotland
    Perhaps Nige's prospects would be better if he teamed up with Eck.

I can see a Scottish & United Kingdom Independence Team

Vote SUKIT.

• Options

AveryLP said:

Labour, 'pouter.
  • Options
    Usual BBC idea of balance on Sunday politics show with its resident hacks. Guardian, New statesman and FT. How do 2 left leaning papers vs 1 on the right equate to balance? Of course the Guardian is the most read paper for BBC staff....
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Labour, 'pouter.
    Crossover, Avery. It was trending well a couple of weeks back, now on it's arse.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    SeanT said:

As YES looms closer, I see lefties are finally panicking. Someone on the last thread yet again trotted out the canard that Labour would be fine without 40 Scottish seats.

For the last time, IT'S NOT JUST THE SEATS

Losing the MPs would be bad for the Left, but losing everything else Scotland represents would be worse. As the man said:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100265140/without-scotland-labour-will-be-mutilated-and-traumatised-for-a-generation/

It would take Labour 15-20 years to recover from YES. The end result would be a Labour Party, and a rUK, further to the right. Denying this is futile, and revealing.

Diane Abbott seemed awake to it on Murnaghan this morning.
  • Options
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

This post explains a lot of your attitudes. You seem to yearn for a mythical Britain of the fifties. It's a, sadly, common attitude amongst people of your generation.
    It is called life experience. A sadly under valued commodity.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

taken in how ? Salmond's just like Brown, he's so fixated on getting the top job he hasn't thought what he'll do if he gets it.
    Alan, He already has the top job, it will just be a bigger version of it next year. He is also nothing like Brown.
  • Options

Usual BBC idea of balance on Sunday politics show with its resident hacks. Guardian, New statesman and FT. How do 2 left leaning papers vs 1 on the right equate to balance? Of course the Guardian is the most read paper for BBC staff....

I do chuckle when the Hodges moan about BBC bias. Like the rest of the UK media is really balanced out and the UK papers and Sky are all divided in their approach to politics.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

Alan, He already has the top job, it will just be a bigger version of it next year. He is also nothing like Brown.
    ROFL, malc he's Brown with a smile.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Labour, 'pouter.
    Crossover, Avery. It was trending well a couple of weeks back, now on it's arse.
    YouGov is like playing cricket with a tennis ball, 'pouter. Bounces all over the place.

Remember "one hand, one bounce"?

Use your left hand.

That way it won't disturb regular habits.
  • Options

Mark Wallace writes for the Guardian and Mary Riddell writes for the Telegraph. Columnists don't necessarily reflect the newspaper they write for. Is it Nick Watt on The Sunday Politics? I think he's considered pro-Clegg.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    SeanT said:

As YES looms closer, I see lefties are finally panicking. Someone on the last thread yet again trotted out the canard that Labour would be fine without 40 Scottish seats.

Losing the MPs would be bad for the Left, but losing everything else Scotland represents would be worse. As the man said:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100265140/without-scotland-labour-will-be-mutilated-and-traumatised-for-a-generation/

I think the reason nobody's taking the point beyond the 40 seats seriously is that there's not much of a point there. Historically Scotland was important, but looking at the current Shadow Cabinet there are hardly any Scots in important jobs at all, which is presumably why you had to phrase them as "two of the brightest stars in today’s Shadow Cabinet", since you couldn't say anything concrete like "two of the most important people in today's Shadow Cabinet". As somebody said on the last thread the vote share there isn't exceptionally high either. Barring some kind of hidden mystical on-going dependence on the psychic energy of Donald Dewar, there's no obvious trauma.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

Alan, Brown is like Auld Nick, there are few if any as bad as him in the UK. His acolyte Darling was looking dodgy on Marr this morning. He twitches when he lies and managed about 800 of them in 9 minutes , he may be retired on health grounds soon, he looked unhinged.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Labour, 'pouter.
    YouGov is like playing cricket with a tennis ball, 'pouter. Bounces all over the place.

Remember "one hand, one bounce"?

Use your left hand.

That way it won't disturb regular habits.
    The only people that who are looking like they were over doing their "regular habits" were those that were predicting crossover in the last two weeks. By the way, seen any polls showing parity on tv lately, you know, the ones that make people post on here of polling parity when in fact there wasn't any.....better go to Specsavers Avery.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

YES would also represent a problem for Tories, too. Though not remotely as bad as it would for the Left.

Cameron would be the PM that lost the Union (when he could have offered Devomax, saved the Union, and scuppered Labour simultaneously - Derrr)

He would have to resign, surely....

Cameron resign ? Can't really see it myself, he's alrady convinced himself he's a great PM.
  • Options

I do chuckle when the Hodges moan about BBC bias. Like the rest of the UK media is really balanced out and the UK papers and Sky are all divided in their approach to politics.
    Is this some reference to Margaret Hodge?
    I believe that this panel was the same last Sunday. We even had a panel this year with TWO from the Guardian plus 1 from the FT.
  • Options

SeanT said:

I think the reason nobody's taking the point beyond the 40 seats seriously is that there's not much of a point there. Historically Scotland was important, but looking at the current Shadow Cabinet there are hardly any Scots in important jobs at all, which is presumably why you had to phrase them as "two of the brightest stars in today’s Shadow Cabinet", since you couldn't say anything concrete like "two of the most important people in today's Shadow Cabinet". As somebody said on the last thread the vote share there isn't exceptionally high either. Barring some kind of hidden mystical on-going dependence on the psychic energy of Donald Dewar, there's no obvious trauma.
    Interesting point about vote share but it must be said the Tories' search for a 40% poll rating would be enhanced if they could let go a part of the country where they can't get 20%. In the short run independence would harm the left. However you'd think Labour would then have the sense to embrace STV and under different leadership the Lib Dems would probably be willing partners.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Socrates said:

An another appalling example of BBC bias:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-eu-26890988

In a story about extreme right fascist parties in the EU, they question why UKIP has not signed up to the alliance.

Blood and Soil nationalism just doesn't have much resonance here, and UKIP reflects that. Marine Le Pen has expressed great annoyance that UKIP won't team up with FN.
  • Options
    Completely off topic, asking all our resident experts, is there any seasonal/time of year effect on VI polling in the UK? I usually expect the LD support to go up from end of March, through April and have linked this to campaigning in these election periods. But what if some of it is a spring bounce?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

Well, I’m about 4 years younger than Mr K. My attitude is “if only I was 18 again and knew what I know now!”

Then I wake up and realise that, just to take one example, there’s no ice on the inside of the windows in winter!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

SeanT said:

Interesting point about vote share but it must be said the Tories' search for a 40% poll rating would be enhanced if they could let go a part of the country where they can't get 20%. In the short run independence would harm the left. However you'd think Labour would then have the sense to embrace STV and under different leadership the Lib Dems would probably be willing partners.
    Right, I agree on the seats - losing 41 while Con lose 1 raises the bar a lot. Also in terms of general political goals Scottish independence would move both countries to the right, especially Scotland, which obviously isn't what Labour want. But what I'm not agreeing with is SeanT's theory which goes beyond that and involves them mysteriously losing their mojo, for vague novelist-type reasons somehow connected to the ghost of Robin Cook.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Right, I agree on the seats - losing 41 while Con lose 1 raises the bar a lot. Also in terms of general political goals Scottish independence would move both countries to the right, especially Scotland, which obviously isn't what Labour want. But what I'm not agreeing with is SeanT's theory which goes beyond that and involves them mysteriously losing their mojo, for vague novelist-type reasons somehow connected to the ghost of Robin Cook.
    There would be some, I'm not saying I'm amongst them, who would argue that losing Scotland wouldn't be such a bad thing because Scottish Labour is a menacing tribal movement. Don't forget that Blair wanted to do a deal on electoral reform with Ashdown but Brown blocked it. How different the country might look today if that had happened.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

Alan, Brown is like Auld Nick, there are few if any as bad as him in the UK. His acolyte Darling was looking dodgy on Marr this morning. He twitches when he lies and managed about 800 of them in 9 minutes , he may be retired on health grounds soon, he looked unhinged.
    Darling is looking increasingly shaken. I'm surprised. I was truly concerned when Cameron first appointed him. Now it looks like a very poor choice, and it is far too late to find a new placeman.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399

SeanT said:

Actually, if there is a Yes vote I could see there being a big sigh of relief in certain parts of the Labour party (let's call them Blairites for convenience). They can discard that increasingly itchy 'Labour values' fig leaf and get on with constructing the centrist & managerialist party that they think will win if for them in the marginals.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Too scared ?

Darling is looking increasingly shaken. I'm surprised. I was truly concerned when Cameron first appointed him. Now it looks like a very poor choice, and it is far too late to find a new placeman.

I always thought he was cr@p,love for tim to be on here to see his fallen idol ;-)

I also remember some on the left on here who built maria miller up as the next tory leader - lol
  • Options
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

"... Sadly a common attitude of people of your generation"

Really? An just how many octogenarians do you know and talk with about their attitude to life and politics? Are you sure you not letting your prejudices show?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

"One Labour adviser said: “We can’t even contemplate what might happen to the party if Scotland went. This is nightmare territory for us.""

It's hard to say how to interpret that without knowing who the adviser was; It might be a factional thing (see FrankBooth's point on the SLAB machine) or it might be that you and him are onto something involving the birthplace of previous leaders, but I'm just not getting it because I haven't read the first two books in the trilogy.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

Today's IndyRef poll also got the full squirrel treatment. Doesn't take a genius to guess why.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399

The main problem is if you're going to run a negative campaign you really need someone who relishes it (John Reid springs to mind). Darling's USP was calm, sensible dignity; he's trashed that and he knows it, which adds to his evident discomfiture.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    SeanT said:

Cameron would be the PM that lost the Union (when he could have offered Devomax, saved the Union, and scuppered Labour simultaneously - Derrr)

He would have to resign, surely....

Alternatively, he will be seen in England as the guy that arranged a fond farewell for all those chippy Scots.

There'll be a statue of him in every English market square.

Really, does "the Union" resonate with more than about 0.1% of the population these days?
  • Options
    What's happened in the polls these last few days? Has The Royal Mail sell off undone the success of the budget? Looks like it could have. Approval of the government was in the negative teens for yougov, now it's back at -29.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    SeanT As I have said many times losing Scotland makes little difference to Labour. Attlee and Blair would have won all their election victories even without Scotland, and Wilson half his. The Tories won Scotland in 1955 and many Tory grandees, from Liam Fox to Michael Forsyth and Michael Gove are Scots, as were former Tory PMs Bonar Law and Home (who ironically would have beaten the English Wilson in 1964 without Scotland).

Indeed, Professor John Curtice has said: “The impact would mean Labour needed an additional 1 per cent swing to be elected. A boundary review would have a bigger impact.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ban-scots-from-voting-at-2015-general-election-if-they-gain-independence-say-tories-9234135.html
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    @SeanT

What makes you think that Scots politicians would be barred from Westminster (aside obviously from those who currently sit for Scottish seats)?

The Electoral Administration Act 2006 makes it clear that Commonwealth citizens and Irish citizens are eligible to sit as MPs at Westminster. Presumably an independent Scotland would remain part of the Commonwealth, or failing that, a special exception would be made, as was done in the case of Ireland in 1949, to deem them "not foreigners." Indeed, we have had (a few) Irish-born MPs since then, Brendan Bracken for example...

Dr Johnson said: "The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads to England..."

I don't think that would necessarily change with an independent Scotland. A terrifying prospect, when you think about it... ;-)
  • Options
    Losing Scotland would be a huge blow to the UK, and while not fatal would hit our ability to remain in the G8 and UN Security Council, our economy and also the loss of great universities like Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow would be heavy, which is why I am opposed
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Interesting piece in the Sunday Times about the possible defenestration of Clegg. The threshold being spoken of for his survival is 5-6 Euro seats. That looked to be setting the high jump bar at about 28 feet....

• Options
    SeanF Many BNP voters have switched to UKIP, UKIP is not the BNP, but Farage connects with that nationalist tradition. A FN, UKIP and Geert Wilders' first place in the Euros in France, the UK, and the Netherlands would have a big impact across the EU
  • Options
    Rod - Kevin McKenna has an interesting piece in the Guardian (somewhat spoilt by his suggestion that a Tory/Ukip dominated Westminster might be expansionist and try to take Scotland back) he does nonetheless query the intelligence situation and the high number of Scots in the UK services who might feel loyalty towards an independent Scotland. I wouldn't expect a Cold War but there may be a bit of spying going on. The SNP he claims want to maintain a single security network (good luck) but since the SNP are pro-European why would they want to be part of the Anglosphere intelligence network that spied on Merkel?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

Losing Scotland would be a huge blow to the UK, and while not fatal would hit our ability to remain in the G8 and UN Security Council, our economy and also the loss of great universities like Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow would be heavy, which is why I am opposed

Incorrect.

Even without Scotland the UK will sit comfortably in the G7 and the UK has a veto in the Security Council to block any exit move. Likely US and France would do so too.

• Options
    Easterross Polls I have seen show DKs leaning NO. A possible worst case scenario is Quebec which rejected independence by 51-49% in 1995 after Yes picked up 6% over the year, but a huge NO unity rally attended by 100,000 from across Canada helped tip the balance to NO (I would be willing to travel to such a rally if needed). Despite the close result, Quebec is still in Canada
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    edited April 2014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Whilst a Yes is entirely possible, it's worth noting it's not a done deal.

Rather looking forward to the race. Looks like we'll have a Silver Arrow duel and a very competitive battle for the rest of the point. As mentioned in my pre-race piece, a result of Rosberg, Bottas, Perez would be splendid.

http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/bahrain-pre-race.html

Edited extra bit: I'm also somewhat unsure what to do about my early bets. I seem to be doing a little better than usual (the winnings for £10 per race/qualifying bet would be just over £5, but if I included my early bets that'd be nearer to £100). I can't do even more F1 articles (takes enough time from work as it is). I might just mention them here/tweet them, but not count them in my records.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    As for those humble nationalists, I suppose multi millionaire Yes backers like Sir Sean Connery (backing YES from the Bahamas) and Alan Cumming (backing Yes from Hollywood) really show how YES is based on ordinary, rural Scottish folk. Yet alone the numerous YES backers amongst the Scottish intelligentsia
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Today's IndyRef poll also got the full squirrel treatment. Doesn't take a genius to guess why.
    Indeed the indigenous Caledonian red squirrel is far superior to the grey invader and noted no change from their previous poll.

Huzzah For Genius Scottish Squirrels !!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Easterross Polls I have seen show DKs leaning NO. A possible worst case scenario is Quebec which rejected independence by 51-49% in 1995 after Yes picked up 6% over the year, but a huge NO unity rally attended by 100,000 from across Canada helped tip the balance to NO (I would be willing to travel to such a rally if needed). Despite the close result, Quebec is still in Canada

Latest poll has the DK's 2:1 towards YES. Keep hoping for the best , travel is all in one direction now and it is not to NO. It is going to happen.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    JackW said:

Indeed the indigenous Caledonian red squirrel is far superior to the grey invader and noted no change from their previous poll.

The poll was commissioned by WoS and performed by PanelBase, two English entities that have little feel for the facts on the ground in Scotland.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    HYUFD said:

As for those humble nationalists, I suppose multi millionaire Yes backers like Sir Sean Connery (backing YES from the Bahamas) and Alan Cumming (backing Yes from Hollywood) really show how YES is based on ordinary, rural Scottish folk. Yet alone the numerous YES backers amongst the Scottish intelligentsia

Connery and Cummings do not provide any money to the YES campaign. You are also a bit behind the times I believe Connery spends more time in NY nowadays. Even if they did however it would be better than the Tory NO funders , a mixed bag of undesirables there and best they can do is get Barrowman and Eddie Izzard , LOL.
  • Options

Interesting piece in the Sunday Times about the possible defenestration of Clegg. The threshold being spoken of for his survival is 5-6 Euro seats. That looked to be setting the high jump bar at about 28 feet....

Last time I looked at the betting markets their expectation was 2 LD MEPs. I would expect defenestration if the LDs were down to 1 or 0 MEPs. 5+ seems safe but is the ST article based on any internal LD views?
  • Options
    MalcolmG In 1 poll, and NO still leads even if DKs given to YES. As I said, the Quebec scenario was worst case, Times poll recently had it 52-37 NO, but Quebec still voted NO even with big YES gains before the poll. No complacency, but I would certainly support a big NO unity rally as happened in Quebec with people from across the UK travelling to Scotland to back the Union as Canadians rallied in Quebec
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If you're down to Celebrity Top Trumps, then I'd guess you've lost the argument.

• Options

JackW said:

The poll was commissioned by WoS and performed by PanelBase, two English entities that have little feel for the facts on the ground in Scotland.

Ha Ha Ha , Monica as ever tries to denigrate a respected polling company and is incandescent that YES campaign have hugely supported online media groups. Bitter and twisted as ever.
    Can you give me any online NO groups that have support?
  • Options
    To be fair, if you had his money, you'd live in the Bahamas too!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    SeanT As said below Scots' independence would make virtually no difference to Labour, they would require an additional 1% swing to win according to Curtice. However, it would be a huge blow to the UK and encourage separatist movements across the UK, from Catalonia and the Basque country, to Quebec, Flanders, Venice, the old Soviet Union and maybe even parts of China and Texas, creating global instability
This discussion has been closed.