Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip move into the favourite slot to win most votes at next

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip move into the favourite slot to win most votes at next year’s Euro elections

The multi-member party list electoral system used in the European elections is ideally suited to Ukip where it’s party brands that matter over the individuals who get elected.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1st?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I think UKIP's chance of coming first in these elections are overrated. UKIP and the Tories will split the right, while the collapse of the Lib Dems will allow Labour to consolidate the left.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Lovely factoid from Labour list:

"Areas with a popular local pub are more likely to vote UKIP"

http://labourlist.org/2013/05/how-should-labour-tackle-ukip/
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Socrates said:

I think UKIP's chance of coming first in these elections are overrated. UKIP and the Tories will split the right, while the collapse of the Lib Dems will allow Labour to consolidate the left.

Fiddlesticks. UKIP are the default "I hate the EU" vote, and lots of Labour voters hate the EU too.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Hold on, so Mike's reasoning is Labour will come first because they'll really want to? I assume there's more logic behind this post than that, or does he not think UKIP are bothered by the elections?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Don't forget that the EU elections coincide with some council elections - london and some other areas. Will that arrangement pull the UKIP vote upwards, or will the council elections drag the UKIP vote downwards?
  • Options
    FPT

@Carlotta Vance

criminal justice is tougher than a generation ago

You are joking surely?

The last 20 years has been a disaster for Criminal Justice. In the last 20 years we have had the worst crime figures of all time (violence at its peak in the mid noughties had quadrupled since 1990 and all crime increased by 50%) and the prison population doubled (when it took more than 40 years to double previously). Much of that was down to the soft sentencing policy of the John Major Conservatives (the 1991 CJA) who increased remission as a right from a third to half of a prisoners sentence ushering in the revolving door sentencing that allows crooks like Chris Huhne to be released having served just a few weeks.

Prison Stats

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn04334.pdf‎

Crime Stats

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218135832/rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/recordedcrime1.html

The reality is that the current criminal justice system provides scant deterrent unlike that which prevailed even up to the 1980's and whilst Government huff and puff over criminal justice none are willing to implement the necessary tough measures to really get crime down quickly. Now whilst all crime (not violent crime though) has fallen back to 1990 levels that is still more than double what it was in 1970 after the previous significant series of prison sentencing reforms (the 1967 CJA).

The purpose of criminal justice should be to reduce crime and thus minimise the number of people who need to be incarcerated. Sadly over the last generation it has done the opposite.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    EiT - I am 100% certain that the EU patent falls outside the Coalition referendum lock. It was agreed on an inter-governmental basis and not through the EU. It will be administered and granted by the European Patent Office, which is not an EU body. The law is complicated and very technical, but even though it involves a transfer of British sovereignty, the transfer is not to the EU/Brussels, even though it would not happen if the UK were not an EU member state. I have checked this with the UK government, the EPO and the Commission.
  • Options
    @richardnabavi FPT
    You asserted that Parliament can't just declare that a law doesn't apply. I am afraid that it is you who are talking utter garbage. Parliament enacts a 3 clause Bill as follows.
    Clause 1 adds the treaty in question to list in section 2 of the European Communities Act 1972.
    Clause 2 provides: 'It is hereby declared that the provisions of the European Union Act 2011 do not apply to the ratification of [the treaty] added to [the list] by section 1 of this Act, and that it shall be lawful for Her Majesty's Government to ratify [the treaty] forthwith.'
    Clause 3 deals with short title etc.
    The European Union Act 2011 still has effect, and the treaty is ratified without a referendum.

@Grandioise is closer to the mark on this, but I don't think the Labour Party, who opposed the 2011 Act, have ever given a commitment that they will be bound by its provisions. That is not the case in relation to the Human Rights Act 1998, which all governments have accepted. It is that fact which makes it politically difficult to pass and enforce incompatible legislation.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Socrates said:

I know there's not much sign of it now but it's a bit too early to assume the other parties on the left (Greens / Respect / Pirates) won't get some traction. It's getting quite close to the general election at that point, so Ed Miliband will probably be in "Assume you've sewn up the base and do whatever it takes to reassure floating voters" mode.
  • Options
    Another piece on LabourList on UKIP:

http://labourlist.org/2013/05/british-politics-is-entering-a-dangerous-phase-and-labour-should-have-nothing-to-do-with-it/

This one's full of the usual Labour head-in-the-sand thinking. Take this point:

Moreover, the UK benefits enormously from its reputation as a tolerant, diverse and vibrant nation. London, in particular, has a global image as a peaceful and exciting melting pot that many cities around the world, desperate to attract overseas investment, envy.

I think the author doesn't travel much. Perceptions of London's tolerant melting point changed quite dramatically with the London riots.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    @smithersjones2013:

"Crime in England and Wales fell sharply last year with an 8% drop recorded on police figures and a 5% reduction according to the official crime survey, the Office for National Statistics has said.

Statisticians say the crime rate has halved since it peaked in 1995 and appears to be at its lowest level for more than 30 years."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/25/uk-crime-falls-official-figures
  • Options
    @smithersjones
    Do you not see that there might be a contradiction between a large rise in the prison population and sentencing becoming supposedly much more lenient? What you have failed to discuss is the enormous increase in both the number and length of indeterminate sentences, including the madness that prevailed until 2008 when imprisonment for public protection was introduced by CJA 2003.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

That doesn't go against smithers' point, which was that the last twenty years has seen very high crime rates. That's completely true. While it's welcome that crime is heading down, we're still way above 20th Century averages.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Indeed (putting aside that that whole narrative is Wesminster groupthink which by nature is usually wrong) whilst it seems more likely that UKIP might well relegate the Conservatives into third place I still haven't seen sufficient indications that they will clearly beat Labour who will themselves inevitably bounce back from their dreadful 2009 performance (they are polling nearly 20 points higher now than they were around the time of the Euro elections).

One of the things I am wary of is that previously UKIP have polled 2.5 million votes in Euro elections and even though they have performed well in recent by elections and in the County council elections it is not necessarily true that they have gone beyond that pool of UKIP Euro voters (UKIPs vote share in polls is either around the Euro mark or below it) attracting large volumes of voters who have never voted for them previously. The people who are now voting UKIP in domestic elections could have been voting UKIP in the Euros for the last 9 years. That said its equally possible that UKIP could well breakthrough that 2.5 million threshold quite significantly (they will likely have to if they are to put their mark on the 2015 general election)

My view is that nothing really has changed and chances are Labour will top the poll with UKIP and the Tories fighting it out for second. Now if UKIP polls shares regularly start creeping up to 20% or beyond then we'll be in a different ball game but until then I think UKIP is still in line for 2nd or 3rd. Of course if UKIP do win then things will definitely get interesting!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2013
    Where do you think UKIP can gain seats next year? How many seats will the Tory lose? How much can Labour gain given the UKIP surge? (I think London, NW, WM, Yorkshire, NE, then possibly SE, SW and Wales. Nothing in other regions). Where will the LibDem hold on? (I guess SE, SW, NW, East and London. But it must be said that LDs have never done well in the Euros, so they have less to fall)

Euro regions in 2009

East Midlands (5 seats)
    2009 Con 30.2 Lab 16.9 UKIP 16.4 LD 12.3 BNP 8.7 Green 6.8
    Seats Con 2 Lab 1 UKIP 1 LD 1

East (7)
    Con 31.2 UKIP 19.6 LD 13.8 Lab 10.5 Green 8.8 BNP 6.1
    Sears Con 3 UKIP 2 LD 1 Lab 1

London (8)
    Con 27.4 Lab 21.3 LD 13.7 Green 10.9 UKIP 10.8 BNP 4.9
    Seats Con 3 Lab 2 LD 1 Green 1 UKIP 1

North East (3)
    Lab 25 Con 19.8 LD 17.6 UKIP 15.4
    Lab 1 Con 1 LD 1

North West (8)
    Con 25.6 Lab 20.4 UKIP 15.8 LD 14.3 BNP 8 Green 7.7
    Con 3 Lab 2 UKIP 1 LD 1 BNP 1

South East (10)
    Con 34.8 UKIP 18.8 LD 14.1 Green 11.6 Lab 8,2 BNP 4.4
    Con 4 UKIP 2 LD 2 Green 1 Lab 1

South West (6)
    Con 30.2 UKIP 22.1 LD 17.2 Green 9.3 Lab 7.7 BNP 3.9
    Con 3 UKIP 2 LD 1

West Midlands (now 7)
    Con 28.1 UKIP 21.3 Lab 17 LD 12 BNP 8.6 Green 6.2
    Con 3 UKIP 2 Lab 1 LD 1

Yorkshire (6)
    Con 24.5 Lab 18.8 UKIP 17.4 LD 13.2 BNP 9.8 Green 8.5
    Con 2 Lab 1 UKIP 1 LD 1 BNP 1

Wales
    Con 21.2 Lab 20.3 Plaid 18.5 UKIP 12,8 LD 10.7 Green 5.6 BNP 5.4
    Con 1 Lab 1 Plaid 1 UKIP 1

Scotland (6)
    SNP 29.1 Lab 20.8 Con 16.8 LD 11.5 Green 7.3 UKIP 5.2
    SNP 2 Lab 2 Con 1 LD 1
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    At the risk of making myself look like an utter turnip-head I must disagree with Mr. Smithson. UKIP are highly likely to come top (I think I said this last year, before the UKIPalypse began).

F1: early discussion for Spain is up here: http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/spain-early-discussion.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'd prefer to back Labour over UKIP at these prices. Some posters appear to have overlooked the fact that Labour topped the poll on national vote share last week.
  • Options

@smithersjones2013:

"Crime in England and Wales fell sharply last year with an 8% drop recorded on police figures and a 5% reduction according to the official crime survey, the Office for National Statistics has said.

Statisticians say the crime rate has halved since it peaked in 1995 and appears to be at its lowest level for more than 30 years."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/25/uk-crime-falls-official-figures

Well I linked the actual official statistics and if you look at the figures they are absolutely clear and i don't care what the Guardian's crass and no doubt selective revisionism says crime peaked in the period 2000 to 2006!

Furthermore that doesn't change my point. You said the criminal justice regime was tougher now than it was a generation ago (so pre 1990) That I am afraid is nonsense.........
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    The Lib Dem vote for the European Parliament is unlikely to go much lower than it did in 2009. At the same time, unhappy Conservatives seem much more likely to swing to UKIP than to Labour. So, I think UKIP will top the poll.
  • Options
    F1: Spain preview from the BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22397528

Particularly drawn to the low number of (non-artificial) overtakes. If tyre degradation is high then we'll probably see a lot. If they're more durable we probably won't.

Pirelli have a brief to make 2-3 stops per race the standard, and they've done that so far this season.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Socrates said:

Indeed (putting aside that that whole narrative is Wesminster groupthink which by nature is usually wrong) whilst it seems more likely that UKIP might well relegate the Conservatives into third place I still haven't seen sufficient indications that they will clearly beat Labour who will themselves inevitably bounce back from their dreadful 2009 performance (they are polling nearly 20 points higher now than they were around the time of the Euro elections).

One of the things I am wary of is that previously UKIP have polled 2.5 million votes in Euro elections and even though they have performed well in recent by elections and in the County council elections it is not necessarily true that they have gone beyond that pool of UKIP Euro voters (UKIPs vote share in polls is either around the Euro mark or below it) attracting large volumes of voters who have never voted for them previously. The people who are now voting UKIP in domestic elections could have been voting UKIP in the Euros for the last 9 years. That said its equally possible that UKIP could well breakthrough that 2.5 million threshold quite significantly (they will likely have to if they are to put their mark on the 2015 general election)

My view is that nothing really has changed and chances are Labour will top the poll with UKIP and the Tories fighting it out for second. Now if UKIP polls shares regularly start creeping up to 20% or beyond then we'll be in a different ball game but until then I think UKIP is still in line for 2nd or 3rd. Of course if UKIP do win then things will definitely get interesting!
    I see. Not interesting enough for you as things stand? Tsk, tsk! Already dismissing the UKIP surge as, old hat.

This burying of heads in sand is becoming a phenomenom of the other parties and supporters. Perhaps that the best they can do: hoping the horrible nightmare will simply pass, is the only action that makes sense to them.

UKIP disappear? I think not.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    PB's lefty drone finally catches up on yesterday's threads.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Hmm. Am I not right in thinking that the euro elections are on the same day as a fairly large number of local Council elections? If so that will increase turnout from the truly derisory to the merely pathetic.

As OGH regularly points out very few of the great British public care about the EU at all. Of those that do the vast majority seem to be sceptics of varying degrees of virulence. This is one of the reasons the Lib Dems get totally humiliated in these elections. There is no body of support that (a) cares enough to vote and (b) is pro EU.

I think this means that UKIP will do disproportionately well. My only reservation is whether enough Labour supporters, dragged out for the locals, will bother to vote in this election as well since they are there. Given that factor he is probably right about where the value is.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Tempted to agree with Mike here, though it's tight.

One thing we have to remember about Thursdays elections is that they were held in Toryshire, not Labourborough. The areas not voting were the big metro areas, Scotland, Wales, NI and London. Even accepting that UKIP can and do poll well in some Labour areas (see S Shields etc), taking a national projection from such a lopsided - if large - sample runs the risk of itself being distorted.

In particular, we can be reasonably confident that UKIP won't do well in Scotland but Labour will. Similarly, UKIP will probably underperform the national picture in London.

On the other hand, the Labour areas have lower turnouts, so although that matters in council and parliamentary elections, it works against them at Euroconstituency and national levels.

One question worth asking - will UKIP stand in Northern Ireland? It may just be a token candidature but were I Farage, I'd be doing everything possible to establish UKIP as as close to a genuinely national party as possible with a view to the leaders' debates come 2015. On the other hand, are any of the NI parties anti-EU? If not, there may be a vein to mine there as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My view is that nothing really has changed and chances are Labour will top the poll with UKIP and the Tories fighting it out for second.
    In April/May 2009 UKIP were polling between 1-3% or so in Westminster VI according to polls I can still find tables for. They are currently polling roughly 13% in equivalent polls. Now I agree Labour have picked up a lot of support since then too, but to say nothing has changed seems hard to justify.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I really don't see the reason for voting for one of the big two in European elections. So we send one of their troughers to the pig sty instead of one ours. Big deal.

I'd have thought the choice for many might be vote UKIP or not bother to vote at all.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2013
    Edited:

Looks like the Tories could lose their seat in Wales...
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    As a left-winger, I've been thinking about the effects of leaving the EU.

One big upside is that it would allow the reintroduction of the purchase tax, which was eliminated in the UK after joining the EEC and replaced with the unfair VAT. The government could introduce high tax rates (50% or even 100%) on extravagant "status" items like luxury cars and high-end wine.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,218
    Tim: The Tories are having one of their periodic fits of madness. Labour are - wisely - taking the Napoleonic option: not interrupting their opponent while he is making errors. The Europeans are - to the extent they are paying any attention at all - looking on in wonder.

And the rest of us are wondering why none of our elected politicians are listening to us.

Still, at least the weather's better - for now.
  • Options
    samonipadsamonipad Posts: 182
    I wonder how many people whose family had lived in the same area all their lives would be happy to relocate somewhere with exactly the same weather, disputed marginally better crime, education and economic figures, at the cost of feeling like a complete stranger, being smeared as a bigot and their feeling of belonging to part of the community gone forever.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Socrates said:

I see. Not interesting enough for you as things stand? Tsk, tsk! Already dismissing the UKIP surge as, old hat.

This burying of heads in sand is becoming a phenomenom of the other parties and supporters. Perhaps that the best they can do: hoping the horrible nightmare will simply pass, is the only action that makes sense to them.

UKIP disappear? I think not.

Show me where I suggest UKIP would disappear? Show me where I'm burying my head in the sand? I have said clearly they could poll significantly more votes than they did last time. However, despite all the excitement last week and the tremendous successes for UKIP when it comes to the Euros Labour will have all their big vote centres back in play (Scotland, Wales, London, the Northern English Urban belt) and they will likely get their vote out in much larger numbers than last time.Remember the Euros were in the middle of the expenses debacle and Labour were punished heavily by their own for that. Given their polling figures are more than double what they were then a much bigger Labour turnout is virtually certain.

That said I expect UKIP to have more MEP's than last time and pick up MEPs mainly from the Conservatives in the areas they are strongest in. In MEP terms they could return the largest number. However because of the improvement of Labours fortunes UKIP will have to match them in increased vote as well and I'm not convinced they will. Is that all right by you?

Have you ever thought what will happen if UKIP do not live up to media expectations in the next few years? Have you ever thought that the other parties might ramp up those expectations in order to give the impression of UKIP failing? Yes UKIP can win the Euros but it is nowhere near as cut and dried as the knee-jerk reactionaries in the Westminster Freakshow seem to think it is.

And with that I have to go
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    edited May 2013
    MikeK said:
    Point of information, Mr K, Graphology is a study of handwriting
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,360
    Oliver_PB said:

One big upside is that it would allow the reintroduction of the purchase tax, which was eliminated in the UK after joining the EEC and replaced with the unfair VAT. The government could introduce high tax rates (50% or even 100%) on extravagant "status" items like luxury cars and high-end wine.

We would also save a net 10 billion GBP per year in, ah, "protection money" to Brussels.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Lib Dem vote for the European Parliament is unlikely to go much lower than it did in 2009.

I disagree. They are no longer the party of protest and those NOTA votes will go elsewhere mainly UKIP. Add in the Lefties that will move to Labour and the Lib Dems are going to lose 1/5th to 1/2 of their 2009 vote and could be down to a couple of MEPs, with a slight risk of ending up with 0.

• Options

Sean_F said:

The Lib Dem vote for the European Parliament is unlikely to go much lower than it did in 2009.

I disagree. They are no longer the party of protest and those NOTA votes will go elsewhere mainly UKIP. Add in the Lefties that will move to Labour and the Lib Dems are going to lose 1/5th to 1/2 of their 2009 vote and could be down to a couple of MEPs, with a slight risk of ending up with 0.

They reached the dizzy heights of 1.4% in the most recent Westminster by-election (S Shields).
  • Options

The reality is that the current criminal justice system provides scant deterrent unlike that which prevailed even up to the 1980's

What evidence is there that the CJS provided a strong deterrent up to the mid 1980s?

Comparing 'total crime' numbers over the decades is meaningless as old crimes like 'sacrilege' are dropped and new ones 'Health & Safety Offences' are created.

Take one crime over which there can be little ambiguity - 'Homicide' - we are at almost exactly the same position (low 600s) as we were in the mid-80s.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

MikeK said:
    Point of information, Mr K, Graphology is a study of handwriting
    I do know that Old Chap, but I think that in this case it fits.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited May 2013
    I'm going against the consensus here. I think the best value is in a rather surprising place - the Conservatives to top the poll at 10/1. It looks to me more like a 3/1 shot, with the remainder of the probability distribution divided fairly evenly between UKIP and Labour, with Labour slight favourites.

My first observation is that the odds on the 'Win Most Votes' market are wildly out of kilter with Ladbrokes' market on the vote-share match Con vs UKIP (5/4 and 4/7 respectively). Adjusting for the overround, that implies something like a 59% probability of UKIP beating the Tories. Doing a similar adjustment to the best odds on first place, the implied probabilities are 52% for UKIP to top the poll, 38% for Labour, and 8.6% for the Conservatives. It surely cannot be true both that the Tories have a 41% chance of coming out ahead of UKIP, and that they are six times less likely to win overall than UKIP.

I therefore conclude that at least one of these markets is wrongly priced - and I think it's the first-place market. The Tories topped the poll in 2009, 2004 and 1999. They have never fallen below 26.7%, and even in 1994 they got 28%. In fact, their vote share has been remarkably consistent in the 26% to 28% range except in 1999 when they got 35.8%.

UKIP got 16.1% in 2004 and 16.5% in 2009. That was a long way behind the Conservatives' 27.7%. Labour's 2009 performance was a derisory 15.7%: clearly they will do a great deal better next time, but it's worth remembering that they haven't done well in any of the last three European elections.

Of course, on last week's results UKIP have the momentum, and they might well win the whole thing. So might Labour, who as antifrank points out are still in the lead nationally. But we are talking about an election a whole year away - who knows how sentiment will shift between now and then? I'd say Labour should be favourites, with UKIP not far behind them, but that the Conservatives have a much better than one in ten chance of beating both of them - we could easily see all three parties in the 20% to 25% range.

I've therefore availed myself of the speculative 10/1.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited May 2013
    Labour "nailed on" theme is prevalent already..

http://order-order.com/2013/05/07/labour-told-activists-lancashire-was-in-the-bag/

Lancashire :

" Labour activists on the ground were told that they could wrap up Get Out The Vote activity two hours before the polls closed because apparently “it was in the bag” ".

Loving the complacency - carry on !
  • Options
    samonipadsamonipad Posts: 182

I'm going against the consensus here. I think the best value is in a rather surprising place - the Conservatives to top the poll at 10/1. It looks to me more like a 3/1 shot, with the remainder of the probability distribution divided fairly evenly between UKIP and Labour, with Labour slight favourites.

My first observation is that the odds on the 'Win Most Votes' market are wildly out of kilter with Ladbrokes' market on the vote-share match Con vs UKIP (5/4 and 4/7 respectively). Adjusting for the overround, that implies something like a 59% probability of UKIP beating the Tories. Doing a similar adjustment to the best odds on first place, the implied probabilities are 52% for UKIP to top the poll, 38% for Labour, and 8.6% for the Conservatives. It surely cannot be true both that the Tories have a 41% chance of coming out ahead of UKIP, and that they six times less likely to win overall than UKIP.

I therefore conclude that at least one of these markets is wrongly priced - and I think it's the first-place market. The Tories topped the poll in 2009, 2004 and 1999. They have never fallen below 26.7%, and even in 1994 they got 28%. In fact, their vote share has been remarkably consistent in the 26% to 28% range except in 1999 when they got 35.8%.

UKIP got 16.1% in 2004 and actually fell back slightly in 2009 to 16.5%. That was a long way behind the Conservatives' 27.7%. Labour's 2009 performance was a derisory 15.7%: clearly they will do a great deal better next time, but it's worth remembering that they haven't done well in any of the last three European elections.

Of course, on last week's results UKIP have the momentum, and they might well win the whole thing. So might Labour, who as antifrank points out are still in the lead. But we are talking about an election a whole year away - who knows how sentiment will shift between now and then? I'd say Labour should be favourites, with UKIP not far behind them, but that the Conservatives have abette than one in ten chance of beating both of them - we could easily see all three parties in the 20% to 25% range.

At one point Ukip were 2s the Tories 10s and the Tories were 4/6 in the match bet.

When I pointed this out as probable typo, people on here went to great lengths to argue that it was possible for a 10/1 shot to be fav in a match vs a 2/1 shot

It was a typo

Shows that some people will argue about anything just for the sake of it
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oliver_PB said:

Really? Another lefty that can't bear for ordinary folk to have a bit of luxury or technology at reasonable prices. Thats socialists for you!

• Options
    I wouldn't touch this betting market with a barge pole. None of the bets represent clear value and EU elections are incredibly tough to predict.
  • Options
    @tim - I missed that one, but no harm done - it's now 14/1
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

The last time Labour won the Euro elections.

For some reason Labour supporters aren't enthused by these elections.

Both Hague and Howard beat Blair in these elections.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited May 2013
    I think people forget sometimes how Eurosceptic the Green Party are:
    A fundamental principle of Green politics is that decisions should be taken at the lowest practicable level: sometimes things dealt with at national level might better be decided regionally or more locally. So why bother with the European Union at all? Greens are internationalists; we want to foster solidarity between peoples, and we believe co-operation builds peace, as it has done in Europe. Our geography means that we are part of Europe. We believe in Europe, but not in a European superstate. Our vision for Europe seeks to replace the unsustainable economics of free trade and growth with the alternative of local self-reliance. We want to foster co-operation on issues of common interest, not establish international institutions for their own sake. Accordingly we are critical of many of the objectives built in to the EU treaties, of the EU institutions and how they work, and of many particular EU policies. We believe many things done and decided in Europemight better be done by member states or by regions or localities.
    I don't believe their policies on free trade etc. can be achieved without leaving completely.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    MikeK said:

Really? Another lefty that can't bear for ordinary folk to have a bit of luxury at technology at reasonable prices. Thats socialists for you!

Live in the real world. It's not ordinary folk who buy Mercedes and drink Bolly.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Oliver_PB said:

MikeK said:

Really? Another lefty that can't bear for ordinary folk to have a bit of luxury at technology at reasonable prices. Thats socialists for you!

Live in the real world. It's not ordinary folk who buy Mercedes and drink Bolly.
    @DPJHodges: Genuine Polly Toynbee quote from today's Guardian: "As Roy Hattersley wrote so well on Monday, "listening to the people" is no answer".
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

I wouldn't touch this betting market with a barge pole. None of the bets represent clear value and EU elections are incredibly tough to predict.

I hope your barge pole conforms to EU standards!
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

The reality is that the current criminal justice system provides scant deterrent unlike that which prevailed even up to the 1980's

What evidence is there that the CJS provided a strong deterrent up to the mid 1980s?

Comparing 'total crime' numbers over the decades is meaningless as old crimes like 'sacrilege' are dropped and new ones 'Health & Safety Offences' are created.

Take one crime over which there can be little ambiguity - 'Homicide' - we are at almost exactly the same position (low 600s) as we were in the mid-80s.
    Homicide has a lot of ambiguity to do with medical advances keeping people alive.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    2009:

Con 28%
    UKIP 17%
    Lab 16%
    LD 14%
    GRN 8%
    BNP 6%

If the LDs and BNP lose about 8% between them, say -5% and -3% respectively, and the Greens and others stand still, then the winning post for the big 3 is around 23%.

I can't see the Tories losing less than 5% of vote share...
  • Options
    Mr. PB, I'm in no position to buy either, but tax policy should be determined by maximising Treasury income, not penalising the wealthy. That approach is both vindictive and self-defeating.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oliver_PB said:

Would your New Puritanism (Cakes and Ale Supertax) Act also apply to tickets to a Beyoncé concert, which are very much more expensive than a bottle of Bolly?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Amazing. Polly differentiates between people and voters and says they should be ignored. http://bit.ly/10lw3YU
  • Options
    As the stats show we aren't far off the homicide levels of 1910 Edwardian England.

I wonder how many murders went unreported in Edwardian England's smoggy streets...
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Oliver_PB said:

Would your New Puritanism (Cakes and Ale Supertax) Act also apply to tickets to a Beyoncé concert, which are very much more expensive than a bottle of Bolly?
    If you disliked it, you should have put a tax on it?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Best guess:

UKIP 32%
    Lab 26%
    Con 19%
    LD 8%
    Green 8%
    BNP 3%
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @tim

I was being conservative. If what you say is true the Big 3 winning post rises, and the Tories have to do even better to clear it.

It could be fairly tight though, with the Big 3 all in the low 20%s..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Amazing. Polly differentiates between people and voters and says they should be ignored. http://bit.ly/10lw3YU

That's Polly Toynbee's "Ed Is Crap" article, translated into Guardianese.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, that was a bit forced.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    deleted
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Astonishing, Dan has done it again: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100215522/three-years-after-the-coalition-took-power-labour-has-gone-nowhere-very-very-slowly/

Presumably the UKIPers who read and comment on the Telegraph these days like this kind of thing?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Oliver_PB said:

Jesus I have woken up in1976! Still good Summer on the way...
  • Options

Mr. PB, I'm in no position to buy either, but tax policy should be determined by maximising Treasury income, not penalising the wealthy. That approach is both vindictive and self-defeating.

The wealthy are under no obligation to spend money on luxury cars and wine.

Tax policy shouldn't be about solely "maximising Treasury income", either, which is why we have a personal allowance. A Lambo and Bolly tax can be used to remove VAT from utilities and reducing the burden on the poorest.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that was a bit forced.

Not up to my usual subtle musical references ?

• Options
    @Andy

For your valuable spreadsheet, for Norfolk, you can cut and paste the whole page into excel and then select just a party from the column and add the whole figures, and so on for the rest.
    http://elections.norfolk.gov.uk/textresults.aspx

It should help making it faster.
  • Options
    Mr. PB, they could simply buy cars in another country. Then we'd get 0% of the Booty Tax (as it would apply to Beyonce ticket sales) and another country would get whatever percentage VAT they charged.

Better a small slice of a big cake than the entirety of nothing.
  • Options
    @tim - Ch Musar has been a bit wobbly recently.

We had a tasting of Eastern Med wines last weekend - and the star was a Syrah from a rather surprising country:

http://www.israelwinecompany.com/index.php?option=com_wine&id=62
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22431174

Nick Clegg reports his three million jobs lie and not a hint of a challenge from Red Nick Robinson. What a surprise.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's another good example. Tax event tickets over £100.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Oliver_PB said:

The wealthy are under no obligation to spend money on luxury cars and wine.

Tax policy shouldn't be about solely "maximising Treasury income", either, which is why we have a personal allowance. A Lambo and Bolly tax can be used to remove VAT from utilities and reducing the burden on the poorest.
    There are many many ways to reduce the cost of fuel to the poorest, and nearly all of them more effective than removing 5% VAT that is added to the bill.
  • Options
    @AndyJS

UKIP nearly double their vote? Now, that would be an earthquake...

I'd be surprise if any party gets much above 25%.

Also, don't forget the 12% Others including the SNP/PC. They seem to have taken a pasting in your figures.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Andrea

Thanks for the Norfolk tip. I'll have to check whether any of the other remaining counties have pages where the data can be copied like this.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Nick Clegg reports his three million jobs lie and not a hint of a challenge from Red Nick Robinson. What a surprise.

"Red Nick Robinson"? I thought Nick Robinson had previously been a prominent young Tory?
  • Options
    Mr. Socrates, if the reports of Robinson deliberately misunderstanding or being plain moronic about UKIP's migration policies on the local election coverage were accurate then it's becoming something of a pattern.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Grandiose said:

Socrates said:

"Red Nick Robinson"? I thought Nick Robinson had previously been a prominent young Tory?
    He's not known as toenails for nothing...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    32% for a party whose leader only gets a positive rating from 17% in the weekend YouGov poll.
    AndyJS said:

Best guess:

UKIP 32%
    Lab 26%
    Con 19%
    LD 8%
    Green 8%
    BNP 3%

• Options
    On wikipedia, Derbyshire (but here that's the problem of multi members wards as different methods can be used) and Wiltshire's totals have been posted. But as it's wikipedia, it is always better to check if they are plausible!
    AndyJS said:

@Andrea

Thanks for the Norfolk tip.

• Options

32% for a party whose leader only gets a positive rating from 17% in the weekend YouGov poll.

Didn't stop them getting 24% in the locals.

• Options
    Richard Corbett says that most of UK trade is with the European Union. This is another lie. Yet again, unchallenged by the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22431177
  • Options
    Colourful language from Cleveland, Ohio:

"I knew something was wrong when a pretty little white girl ran into a black man's arms":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22438417
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @MikeSmithson

Local elections have always been UKIP's weakest type of election, the Euro elections their strongest.
  • Options
    I rather like the idea of taxing price insensitive items that are not easily acquired elsewhere at much higher rates.

In a world where Barbra Streisand can command ticket prices of £500 for concerts, why shouldn't HMG get a bigger share of that than at present? Some concerts might be affected, but I strongly suspect that the main losers would be the pampered artists. Indeed, HMG might strike a blow for consumers by operating a tiered approach, with low VAT on low ticket prices and high VAT on high ticket prices, to encourage new artists and those artists that do not rip off their fans. It could be an example of a popular tax if the effect was to drive down ticket prices.

None of this applies to champagne or luxury cars. Though I would enjoy seeing the German reaction to a high tax on high end cars after their shameless assault on the City.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Mr. PB, they could simply buy cars in another country. Then we'd get 0% of the Booty Tax (as it would apply to Beyonce ticket sales) and another country would get whatever percentage VAT they charged.

Better a small slice of a big cake than the entirety of nothing.

No EU means no single market. The UK is free to enact trade barriers to prevent the illegal importation of luxury cars.

Right-wingers seem to forget that it's the EU that entrenches right-wing ideas like free trade and fixed VAT rates.
  • Options
    @Socrates

I ran the 2011 figures from http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/feb/24/uk-trade-exports-imports

They give figures for the top 25 export locations, representing 85% of exports.

I make EU £120bn and non-EU £85bn.

I am sure most of that 15% remainder is non-EU, which narrows the gap considerably.

I imagine the 2012 figures are similar.
  • Options
    Right-wingers seem to forget that the EU entrenches very right-wing ideas like free markets and VAT.

Good point. It probably entrenches a few other things that some moaning Brits have become used to and like.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    Did anyone get on the 5/6 LDs to lose to deposit in South Shields with PP?

Or UKIP to poll over 18% at the same price?

Wieghed in weighed in
  • Options
    sam said:

Wieghed in weighed in

I'm more jealous of the people fast enough to get Labour over 37%...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    o/t - In a bid to become the only trade union in the country Unite has launched merger talks with Labour affiliate the TSSA and been practically begged to start merger talks by the non Labour affiliated (indeed Socialist Party run) PCS. The former merger is more certain but unlikely to shake things up, the latter surely wouldnt please Labour too much if it ever happened.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    Quincel said:

sam said:

Wieghed in weighed in

I'm more jealous of the people fast enough to get Labour over 37%...
    True true

What a ricket that was

• Options
    Amazing to recall that the Tories obtained 51% of the UK vote at the 1979 European election, including winning the Liverpool Euro-constituency (the last time they won anything in the city)

In the days when Liverpool was the jewel in the Tory crown they built a magnificent Conservative Club right in the heart of the business and political district...
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2888123

It has just been converted into a Hilton hotel. I'm sure Maggie would have approved...
    http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Venues/DoubleTree-by-Hilton-hotel-brand-to-expand-to-Liverpool-in-summer-2013
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    Leaving the EU normally means staying in the EEA so free trade stays.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    AndyJS said:

Colourful language from Cleveland, Ohio:

"I knew something was wrong when a pretty little white girl ran into a black man's arms":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22438417

Yes, that struck me as well. It says so much about not just the case, but also about American society. Try as I might, I can't imagine a similar thing being said here in the UK.

I hope he does well out of what he did. It's hardly heroism, but I guess it's all too easy to ignore cries for help. Little acts of kindness (such as investigating cries for help) can reap big rewards. But it's all too easy to ignore the cries and not get involved.
  • Options
    "Labour did so badly in the 2009 county elections that a large swing to the party was to be expected. But comparing the results of this year’s elections with those of last year, there are some causes for concern. Labour’s vote share was down in most places, as might be expected given the UKIP surge, but it was often down a little more than the Conservative vote share. ....

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2013/05/07/nigel-farages-independence-day/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Astonishing, Dan has done it again: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100215522/three-years-after-the-coalition-took-power-labour-has-gone-nowhere-very-very-slowly/

Presumably the UKIPers who read and comment on the Telegraph these days like this kind of thing?

Well I liked it. Whats not to like?

• Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    It was actually one of the Merseyside seats.
  • Options
    O/t I'm on a Virgin train tomorrow, my favourite franchise, and this is why they should be allowed to retain their franchise.

Virgin Trains has sparked a "bra wars" row with female staff refusing to wear new "flimsy" blouses, which they say allow passengers to clearly see dark underwear.

The new uniform – due to launch this Wednesday – has upset female staff who say the red blouses fail to protect their modesty by being too "skimpy" and "revealing".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10040922/Bra-wars-Virgin-female-staff-in-row-over-new-skimpy-blouses-that-reveal-dark-underwear.html

• Options
    Grandiose said:

@Socrates

I ran the 2011 figures from http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/feb/24/uk-trade-exports-imports

They give figures for the top 25 export locations, representing 85% of exports.

I make EU £120bn and non-EU £85bn.

I am sure most of that 15% remainder is non-EU, which narrows the gap considerably.

I imagine the 2012 figures are similar.

@Grandiose That data only includes the top 25, and only includes goods. I have run these numbers using UN data, including both goods trade and service trade, and accounting for the Rotterdam effect, and the overall was 45% of exports going to EU countries.
This discussion has been closed.