Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Introducing the new Times-YouGov leader ratings

2»

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Adrian Harper must be writing for PB again.
  • Options

And meanwhile, China invades India (*)

http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-incursion-leaves-india-verge-crisis-044158564.html

On other news, just got back from a rather splendid long weekend away with friends. Three days totally devoid of politics, political discussion and plenty of fun and games in the sunshine.

Legoland was absolutely heaving, but fun nonetheless.

(*) Usual caveats apply...

China's manoeuvres are actually a reaction to Indian provocations over the past few weeks, whereby Delhi appears to have been testing the new leadership in Beijing. The last two times India tried such a strategy it ended in war.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War
    That would be one of the two times I was talking about, yes.
    Two? Article just says "Sino-Indian War", no qualifier.
    My original post should have said 'conflict', rather than 'war':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chola_incident

There was also an incident in 1987.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Next week there will be a local by-election in Rotherham. The former Children's and Young People Cabinet Minister turned Police and Crime Commissioner has resigned his council seat to concentrate on his new job.
    His wife is standing to replace him. Her mother, grandmother and great-grandfather have been all on the council.
    UKIP polled 32% in that ward in 2008.

They could use that as an experiment. Mention the grooming but focus on the political establishment covering it up rather than the grooming itself - which is counter-productive for various reasons.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Quiet! All of you!

Pirates of the Caribbean is on BBC1 right now :)
  • Options

And meanwhile, China invades India (*)

http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-incursion-leaves-india-verge-crisis-044158564.html

On other news, just got back from a rather splendid long weekend away with friends. Three days totally devoid of politics, political discussion and plenty of fun and games in the sunshine.

Legoland was absolutely heaving, but fun nonetheless.

(*) Usual caveats apply...

China's manoeuvres are actually a reaction to Indian provocations over the past few weeks, whereby Delhi appears to have been testing the new leadership in Beijing. The last two times India tried such a strategy it ended in war.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War
    That would be one of the two times I was talking about, yes.
    Two? Article just says "Sino-Indian War", no qualifier.
    My original post should have said 'conflict', rather than 'war':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chola_incident

There was also an incident in 1987.
    Yes, thanks for that. Well they only qualify as "incidents" after all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
  • Options
    Adonis - Brown wanted to stand down 30 Lab cands in Tory Lib-Dem marginals in 2010 to keep Cam out of No 10
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Oliver, unless something is going very badly wrong, the principal opposition should gain council seats. Even in 1998, the Conservatives gained council seats. The question is whether those gains are good enough.
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    tim said:

@TimMontgomerie: In his 2,000 word essay Lord Lawson also suggests any attempt at renegotiation by Cameron will be "inconsequential" http://t.co/oE69tuk7gl £

I think we knew that

If no one believes Toilet Paper Dave in the UK why should they in Europe?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,133
    "His wife is standing to replace him. Her mother, grandmother and great-grandfather have been all on the council."

Ask not what Rotherham council can do for the people of Rotherham.

Ask instead what Rotherham council can do for you personally.

Municipal fops.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Oliver, unless something is going very badly wrong, the principal opposition should gain council seats. Even in 1998, the Conservatives gained council seats. The question is whether those gains are good enough.

These party trolls are so obvious.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Interesting findings.

Taken at face value you would think a majority Conservative government should be the favourite outcome for 2015 given that almost the same number of people would be positive about either a Con/Lab majority, but Cameron remains much more popular than Miliband.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

London, unless you are very wealthy, is not a Rose garden.

Strange as it may seem, Luton is more peaceful.

There's a certain person on other websites who has strong views about Luton.

Personally I'd say nice parts of poor towns probably offer the best quality of life for your money.

With nasty parts of rich towns being the opposite.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Oliver_PB said:

This is typical of The Times and the press.

Let's be clear: Labour are winning. They are ahead in the polls and they are gaining seats at elections.

In the face of this, they decide to change the conversation. It's not about polls or electoral success, the story is now leadership ratings and UKIP.

In the press, the left is always losing - even when they are winning.

This is because the press has been capture by the right, largely by owners who want to influence public opinion to look after their own interests. Just look towards the BBC's appointment of the former editor of The Times, who aggressively pushed The Times editorial stance to the right and was appointed to appease laughable right-wing accusations of bias. It's no surprise that UKIP coverage during the local elections was practically sycophantic, with barely a mention of Labour's electoral gains.

Thankfully, none of this matters at the ballot box. Money, power and influence can't (yet) directly buy votes.

What a laugh! There is no-one like Labour for forging postal votes, especially in Muslim areas or densely populated ethnic wards. If this is not buying votes, what is?
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397

Ah, yes, I remember why I stopped posting here - unless you're a Tory you're considered a troll.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,008
    Avast!

Interesting divergence between desired outcomes and predictions. I wonder if that will cost the Conservatives votes because people want the blues to win but don't believe they will and so vote for another party to keep out either the Lib Dems or Labour.

And, whilst I have the opportunity, don't forget that Journey to Altmortis is out and can be had for the small sum of $2.99, (or $1.02 with the code XK87G until 14 May): https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/313503
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:
    Keep in mind that at this stage last cycle Mike Huckabee had a big lead in Iowa, with second place belonging to either Romney, Palin or Gingrich. There's a long way to go, though we do at least know Rand will actually run.

• Options
    tim said:

@MikeK

You'd be better off leaving the ethnic nationalism to one side and advising UKIP to follow the Tories OAP residential home postal vote harvest.
    The most likely people to use postal votes are white coffin dodgers, the least likely - younger non whites.

UKIP steal some of that audience and it could put a couple of % on their GE performance

That may me true to an extent, but we do need to do something about postal voting which, as you know, is wide open to abuse.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Oliver_PB said:

Ah, yes, I remember why I stopped posting here - unless you're a Tory you're considered a troll.

I had never noticed you had stopped, Ollie.

Keep going.

• Options
    Mr. K, you're quite right. Postal voting is, we know, wide open to fraud. It needs seriously tightening up and cutting back. For 99%, if you can't be arsed walking a few hundred yards once every five years then your opinion can't be worth all that much.

Naturally, exceptions should be made for the disabled/frail, heavily pregnant women and the armed forces (who should also be able to vote early enough to guarantee their vote being counted).
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

People who parrot a party line are trolls.

There's plenty of leftists here who have something interesting to say - tim, southam, old labour, PtP, HGM, Andrea, surbiton, IOS for starters.

All you did was claim some great persecution to do down Labour's success of getting 29% whilst in opposition.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Rand Paul - my 50/1 shot for the nomination.
    HYUFD said:
  • Options
    Not forgetting Nick Palmer.
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, as well as Paul who else have you backed for the nomination? Rubio springs to mind.

And, if she's healthy and runs, is Clinton a dead cert?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I'd quite like if only the "Like" button was returned, but none of the other.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    HYUFD said:

RIP Giulio Andreotti, although controversial at times one of the few Italian PMs to last longer than 5 minutes in office!

Indeed - and the first Italian PM to be convicted of association with the Mafia. Perhaps the two are not entirely unrelated.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Just looking over my outsanding bets I've got 16/1 on Chris Huhne to be next LD leader. Doesn't look good at the moment
  • Options
    tim said:

@MikeK
    Well the Tories aren't going to do anything about it as they are the main beneficiaries.
    If you want me to help UKIP in siphoning off a couple of thousand pensioner postal votes from the Conservatives in each marginal seat at the next election I'm willing to provide Farage and co with some strategic advice at a good discount.

You'll have to tackle them straight. I'm no ones intermediary.

• Options

Just looking over my outsanding bets I've got 16/1 on Chris Huhne to be next LD leader. Doesn't look good at the moment

Hold on to it, Mike.

Mandela made the transition.

• Options
    GarethofthevaleGarethofthevale Posts: 503
    edited May 2013
    Isn't calling Cameron a "Cameroon" racist against the good people of, er, Cameroon?

They need to get Roger Milla a job in the cabinet office!
  • Options
    Quincel - Indeed, but Santorum was basically a more dull, humourless version of Huckabee anyway. Paul has now led in polls in Iowa and NH in 2016, could well be Hillary v Paul 2016 (probably producing the biggest Democrat victory since LBJ beat Goldwater!)
  • Options
    Mike Smithson - Indeed, looks another good call!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:

Quincel - Indeed, but Santorum was basically a more dull, humourless version of Huckabee anyway. Paul has now led in polls in Iowa and NH in 2016, could well be Hillary v Paul 2016 (probably producing the biggest Democrat victory since LBJ beat Goldwater!)

I agree that the poll is good news for Paul (always better to be ahead than behind, no matter how early the polling is), I just wanted to point out that this far out from the primaries the polls have a poor predictive record.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

' I'm willing to provide Farage and co with some strategic advice at a good discount.'

How about offering some strategic advice to Labour,they need it after last week's underwhelming results.
  • Options
    "About the same as my 100/1 on Mensch as next Tory leader."

Were you pi55ed or trying to be ironic ?

• Options
    tim said:

@MikeSmithson

About the same as my 100/1 on Mensch as next Tory leader.

Meantime, even Cameroons are shaken

@JohnRentoul: "Mr Cameron, who appears to define political skill as the willingness to yield to pressure.." @JananGanesh, cutting http://t.co/L6oobIrHhZ

Isn't the term "Cameroon" racist against the people of Cameroon?
  • Options
    Quincel - It varies eg Romney was always ahead in NH in 2012 as was Hillary in the state in 2008, Iowa tends to favour more conservative candidates on the GOP side so it was no surprise Romney did not lead there in 2012 or Huckabee won it in 2008
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    If you look at the polling about the leaders, it just the case that those who state a Tory preference say they support Cameron. Most of the people who are not happy, have already jumped ship to UKIP. With those who indicate a VI of Labour, they are being honest that they are not totally convinced by Miliband, but it does not mean that they will not stick with Labour in 2015.
  • Options
    samonipadsamonipad Posts: 182
    john_zims said:

@Tim

' I'm willing to provide Farage and co with some strategic advice at a good discount.'

How about offering some strategic advice to Labour,they need it after last week's underwhelming results.

Why not make a PPB for Labour telling us how mass immigration has made Londons schools better by replacing racist white british Londoners with foreigners, how it has reduced crime and sorted the economy? You could have a clip of OAPs crying outside the house they used to call home while being called coffin dodgers by a young gay married Polish/Somalian couple.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Just checked mine, I have a few quid on Gove for next permanent Conservative leader at William Hill, but they seem to have taken down the Tory Leadership market.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

Think Nick Clegg has got passed the unpopular stage, will win his seat again in 2015 and lead a smaller party. I just don't think they have an alternative candidate who would stand against Clegg in any leadership contest. Tim Farron always comes across well, but I don't think he has any wish to take over as leader. Simon Hughes would be popular, but I don't think he is a natural leader.
  • Options
    samonipad said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

Why not make a PPB for Labour telling us how mass immigration has made Londons schools better by replacing racist white british Londoners with foreigners, how it has reduced crime and sorted the economy? You could have a clip of OAPs crying outside the house they used to call home while being called coffin dodgers by a young gay married Polish/Somalian couple.
    Well Done! I wish i had said that.
  • Options
    As well as being my mother's birthday today, Tony Blair is 60 today if it has not already been mentioned
  • Options
    MY. HYUFD, I hope your mother had a delightful day.
  • Options
    Yes, she did thanks, clearly not rushing to congratulate Tone on reaching his sixth decade, George Clooney is also 52 today apparently and Lord Hutton 58
  • Options
    Prescott even made a little film for Blair
    vine.co/v/b2mTetaBgTg
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Oh dear, UKIP's web page seems to be down: http://www.ukip.org/
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Oh dear, UKIP's web page seems to be down: http://www.ukip.org/

No it's not!

• Options
    Mr. HYUFD, I hope the heir's a boy. No risk then of anyone buggering up the succession law changes leading to a splitting of crowns.
  • Options
    Indeed, although it would be rather amusing for a short while
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mick_Pork said:

I've posted several times that I don't expect Clegg to be in either of his present posts by Christmas 2014, or very soon afterwards.

As a LibDem voter, although one now rapidly losing patience, I suppose that's another example of hope over rational expectation.

I hate to pile on the pain, but have you heard this? 15 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s7xzw

My flabber was well and truly ghasted that this was Nick Clegg's parliamentary aide and he was put up on a serious political programme to spin for him. He doesn't sound old enough to be the leader of the lib dem youth division. It's excruciating but it does point to Clegg being totally insulated from reality these days. Or "back in the saddle" as he so memorably put it.

Oh for the days of Chatshow Chariie! Preferably, of course, sober! Or fairly so, anyway.

Sober or not he knew just what a lib dem tory coalition would mean for the lib dems in scotland while Clegg and little Danny still don't seem to get it.

I know Duncan well from his time at Uni (spent the best part of 3 years sparring with him). Charming fellow, but an absolute lightweight.

What was surreal, though, was I could predict his answers before he gave them. I know he's a kid, but that was a pretty poor effort.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Charles - On present trends he will be leader of the LDs and maybe even Deputy PM in a decade or 2!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    HYUFD said:

Charles - On present trends he will be leader of the LDs and maybe even Deputy PM in a decade or 2!

What's even more worrying was that Sam Gyimah was another one.. I shudder to think what advice they are giving (although my all time favourite 'gal ended up advising Tony Blair on pensions policy...)
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    What took them so long?
    tim said:

Osborne gets some support at last.

@politicshomeuk: Tomorrow's Daily Express front page: House prices to soar by 30% http://t.co/cC1CaUR3XS

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

I hate to pile on the pain, but have you heard this? 15 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s7xzw

The trick, Mick Pork, is not minding that it hurts.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

Osborne gets some support at last.

@politicshomeuk: Tomorrow's Daily Express front page: House prices to soar by 30% http://t.co/cC1CaUR3XS

Well that would be only 10% of the house price inflation experienced under Brown and Darling between 1997 and 2010, tim.

And almost certainly as reliable a prediction as the Daily Express's weather forecasts and expectations for arthritis relief.

• Options
    Charles - Indeed, obviously more theoretical than practical experience, mind you Pitt was PM at 24 so youth should be no barrier if you are good enough I suppose
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles - Indeed, obviously more theoretical than practical experience, mind you Pitt was PM at 24 so youth should be no barrier if you are good enough I suppose

Much more delegated power then - with communications so slow basically the job just involved picking the right people for different postings and then answering the odd letter or two.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

samonipad said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

Well Done! I wish i had said that.

I'm sure you have seen this, but just in case... It would be funny it wasn't true... I wonder if any of those featured post on here

http://youtu.be/COt65HZCJaA
  • Options
    Charles - True, and I doubt we will see a PM as young again, mid-40s/50s probably the right age, and a few older if they are fit enough
  • Options
    tim said:

@Sam.
    Given that you see the Rivers of Blood speech as an example of wishy washy centrism perhaps we could have some more historical reflections.
    How about "Mosley, fighting for the traditional East Ender oppressed by bagels"

Poor effort. Untrue smear and really unfunny.

I know loony leftys don't like competition but come on, up your game
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    O/T: I forget if TimT is DC-based, but if he happens to read this - I'll be in Washington (more precisely the Kellogg Hotel) for two nights from tomorrow (Tuesday) - I'm speaking at a Food and Drug Administration event. We missed each other when you were in the UK, but happy to meet if you're around and see this.

Any tips from anyone on things to do? I've been to DC before and did the obvious touristy things, but I'm not especially into staring at buildings and monuments.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Sam.
    Given that you see the Rivers of Blood speech as an example of wishy washy centrism perhaps we could have some more historical reflections.
    How about "Mosley, fighting for the traditional East Ender oppressed by bagels"
    "Gentile flight, a retrospective"
    "Going to the Isle of Dogs, Huguenots and the desecration of traditional London"

the edit made it even unfunnier, congrats, didn't think it possible
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

O/T: I forget if TimT is DC-based, but if he happens to read this - I'll be in Washington (more precisely the Kellogg Hotel) for two nights from tomorrow (Tuesday) - I'm speaking at a Food and Drug Administration event. We missed each other when you were in the UK, but happy to meet if you're around and see this.

Any tips from anyone on things to do? I've been to DC before and did the obvious touristy things, but I'm not especially into staring at buildings and monuments.

Nick, amazingly I read this. I rarely come on PB these days. I am around until the weekend then off to China. You can email me at work on trevan@iclscharter.org about meeting up. Hope it works out this time.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

You could visit Fort McHenry in Baltimore, or rent a car and drive the 90 minutes to Gettysburg.

Baltimore also has a good aquarium.
  • Options
    A day trip up to Frederick is also an idea, small market town America. It also has the fascinating Museum of Civil War Medicine, showing the origins of triage and the first US ambulance service.
  • Options
    PS can be combined with visits to the battlefields of Manocacy and Antietam.
  • Options

When I was in Jersey last week, the cherry blossoms were out in force. I've only been to Washington once before (and spent most of my time in a dark room with my FTC lawyers) but think it is famous for them. Can't be more precise than that.

What are you saying to the FDA?
  • Options
    Thanks, both Tims!
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    tim said:

The consultancy said that the scheme could push up house prices by almost 30pc from the current average of £233,000

IGIndex offer a spread bet on average house prices, so, if you believe that, there's easy money to be made.

I won't be joining you on this.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

@Avery

They appear to have picked up on this

“Help to Buy is a reckless scheme that uses public money to incentivise the banks to lend precisely to those individuals who, absent the scheme, would not and should not be offered credit," said Andrew Brigden, a senior economist at Fathom.
    "Had we been asked to design a policy that would guarantee maximum damage to the UK’s long-term growth prospects and its fragile credit rating, this would be it.”
    The consultancy said that the scheme could push up house prices by almost 30pc from the current average of £233,000, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That was evident.

But the Fathom report is even more unconvincing than Daily Express front page predictions.

Banks will exercise exactly the same credit risk assessment on first time buyer applicants as they did before the scheme was launched. The amount of deposit paid is not indicative of a potential buyer's ability to meet interest and capital repayment costs.

The banks are constrained from lending by capital and regulatory requirements. The 75% average loan to value ratio is determined to protect against bank and general economic risk rather than borrower risk.

The schemes are limited in term and have take-up caps. The volume of intervention by the government is nowhere near the scale needed to fuel 30% house price inflation. There are levers in place to protect against the unlikely event of house prices running well above rates expected during the life of the scheme.

Nonetheless, 30% house price rises makes good copy for the front page of the Express and the throwaway cautionary line in the Fathom Consulting report provides much needed PR coverage for a minor consulting group.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2013
    Staffordshire spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dHhKUk9GU1d5R3pIUzdHZ09ZNzAtLUE#gid=0

Votes:

Con 68395, Lab 56172, UKIP 45401, LD 7904, Green 1445, Others 9513.

Total 188830.

Percentages:

Con 36.22%, Lab 29.75%, UKIP 24.04%, LD 4.19%, Green 0.77%, Others 5.04%.

I'm working on changes since 2010 general election.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

Thought you two might have something to say on Lawsons comments that Cameron's renegotions in Europe will be inconsequential.

They may well be. That depends on our EU friends.

Given that the current situation is unacceptable (and seems to be getting worse, with even the City - the reddest of red lines - at risk), it's very simple. If they don't come up with some decent concessions, they risk the UK leaving as a result of the referendum which Cameron will call, if he has a majority.

Certainly the most irrational of all positions is the Labour one of sticking their heads in the sands, and the second most irrational is the UKIP one of recognising some of the problems, and responding by actively working for a Labour government, which would guarantee no progress of any sort.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

@Avery
    @Richard.

Thought you two might have something to say on Lawsons comments that Cameron's renegotions in Europe will be inconsequential.

We really need a speech from Dave to put this Europe issue to bed

My view is that the FCO should get on with its EU competences work; Cameron and Hague should continue to develop the coalition of interests with Germany; and then wait for the Eurozone to implode.

How long do you think that Spain can sustain rising 27% adult and 50% plus youth unemployment; GDP contraction at 1.5% per annum; and banks about to keel over under the weight of over-valued mortgage loans and unsaleable repossessed properties?

And that is just Spain ...
  • Options
    BTW, are there YouGov on bank holidays? If not, any post-electiion UKIP surge may have abated by the time they get round to polling for it by tomorrow. Or not, which would be interesting.
    Charles said:

When I was in Jersey last week, the cherry blossoms were out in force. I've only been to Washington once before (and spent most of my time in a dark room with my FTC lawyers) but think it is famous for them. Can't be more precise than that.

What are you saying to the FDA?

'tis a bit O/T but since you asked... As you probably know, the EU has banned testing on animals for cosmetics, in view of the availability of equally good or better (though in some cases more expensive) non-animal methods for most purposes. The International Committee on Cosmetics Regulation is holding a consultative meeting in July of the regulatory bodies in the US, Japan and Canada (with Brazil and China also taking an inhterest) and the issue will certainly come up whether others should follow the EU lead. The FDA is consulting on what the US should say at this meeting, and I'm speaking as Director of Policy for Cruelty Free International; as you'd expect, we argue that others should follow suit. Similar efforts are in train for Japan and Canada and I'm talking to Chinese regulators next month.

The cherry blossoms sound good!

• Options

tim said:

They may well be. That depends on our EU friends.

Given that the current situation is unacceptable (and seems to be getting worse, with even the City - the reddest of red lines - at risk), it's very simple. If they don't come up with some decent concessions, they risk the UK leaving as a result of the referendum which Cameron will call, if he has a majority.

Certainly the most irrational of all positions is the Labour one of sticking their heads in the sands, and the second most irrational is the UKIP one of recognising some of the problems, and responding by actively working for a Labour government, which would guarantee no progress of any sort.

Don't you think the problem in voting for Cameron if you want out of the EU is that you are voting for someone who wants to stay in it, and will use his position as PM, if he wins in 2015,to give the impression he has a mandate to push for staying in?

In all likelihood, if UKIP continue to be successful, a labour government will have to call a referendum to match Cameron's "promise"
  • Options
    Welcome back TimT.

I was only lamenting your absence to Y0kel this afternoon when he was discussing Sarin in Syria.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Staffordshire, changes since 2010 general election:

(Excluding the 3 Stoke-on-Trent constituencies isn't perfect because Stoke-on-Trent North contains a lot of voters from Newcastle borough)

Con -9.82%
    Lab +1.16%
    UKIP +18.85%
    LD -13.69%
    Green +0.52%
    Others +2.98%

Swing, Con to Lab: 5.49%.

That swing is sufficient for Labour to take their easiest target in Staffs, Cannock Chase, but not enough for any of the more difficult targets like Burton or Stafford.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited May 2013
    @sam

"and will use his position as PM, if he wins in 2015,to give the impression he has a mandate to push for staying in?"

Cameron will only have one vote in his planned EU referendum so I can't see how his view will affect the overall result.

"In all likelihood, if UKIP continue to be successful, a labour government will have to call a referendum to match Cameron's "promise""

That would be Labour who went to court to argue that a manifesto commitment on a referendum was not legally binding? Also, an increasing UKIP vote share makes a Labour government more likely so I don't think they will worry about UKIP.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Staffordshire, changes since 2010 general election:

(Excluding the 3 Stoke-on-Trent constituencies isn't perfect because Stoke-on-Trent North contains a lot of voters from Newcastle borough)

Con -9.82%
    Lab +1.16%
    UKIP +18.85%
    LD -13.69%
    Green +0.52%
    Others +2.98%

Swing, Con to Lab: 5.49%.

That swing is sufficient for Labour to take their easiest target in Staffs, Cannock Chase, but not enough for any of the more difficult targets like Burton or Stafford.

While the figures are interesting, surely the "swing Con to Lab" is not a helpful shorthand, as Labour gained very few votes. "Swing Coalition to UKIP" would surely be a more accurate description? I appreciate that votes for UKIP are likely to aid the Labour party, at least in seats where they were second in 2010.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is anyone else absolutely fed up to the back teeth of hearing the guy on BBC news complaining about the fact that his Dutch wife isn't going to be able to receive his pension despite the fact that she's never lived or worked in the UK?

She's going to "starve to death", apparently.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Who chose the main pic for Durham Labour facebook page?
    https://www.facebook.com/CountyDurhamLabourParty
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @foxinsoxuk

Well you can ignore that swing and calculate the other swings using the vote changes.

Coalition to UKIP swing would be 21%.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

@Avery

“Help to Buy is a reckless scheme that uses public money to incentivise the banks to lend precisely to those individuals who, absent the scheme, would not and should not be offered credit," said Andrew Brigden, a senior economist at Fathom.
    "Had we been asked to design a policy that would guarantee maximum damage to the UK’s long-term growth prospects and its fragile credit rating, this would be it.”
    The consultancy said that the scheme could push up house prices by almost 30pc from the current average of £233,000, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That was evident.

But the Fathom report is even more unconvincing than Daily Express front page predictions.

Banks will exercise exactly the same credit risk assessment on first time buyer applicants as they did before the scheme was launched. The amount of deposit paid is not indicative of a potential buyer's ability to meet interest and capital repayment costs.

The banks are constrained from lending by capital and regulatory requirements. The 75% average loan to value ratio is determined to protect against bank and general economic risk rather than borrower risk.

The schemes are limited in term and have take-up caps. The volume of intervention by the government is nowhere near the scale needed to fuel 30% house price inflation. There are levers in place to protect against the unlikely event of house prices running well above rates expected during the life of the scheme.

Nonetheless, 30% house price rises makes good copy for the front page of the Express and the throwaway cautionary line in the Fathom Consulting report provides much needed PR coverage for a minor consulting group.

It's a bloody stupid policy, Avery.

The banks with significant exposure to UK house prices are basically insolvent. This is a fairly naked attempt to try to make them solvent by reflating the housing bubble - if it succeeds, young people at the bottom of the housing ladder pay for it. If it fails, future taxpayers pick up the tab.

My generation get fu@ked either way.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

@Avery

That was evident.

Agreed.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Morgan Morgan Giles, who was the oldest living MP, died on 4th May aged 98. The oldest living former MP is now John Freeman, Labour MP for Watford 1945-55:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Morgan-Giles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Freeman_(British_politician)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is anyone else absolutely fed up to the back teeth of hearing the guy on BBC news complaining about the fact that his Dutch wife isn't going to be able to receive his pension despite the fact that she's never lived or worked in the UK?

I though Dutch pensions are significantly more generous than ours. He may be quids in.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Mr. K, you're quite right. Postal voting is, we know, wide open to fraud. It needs seriously tightening up and cutting back. For 99%, if you can't be arsed walking a few hundred yards once every five years then your opinion can't be worth all that much.

Naturally, exceptions should be made for the disabled/frail, heavily pregnant women and the armed forces (who should also be able to vote early enough to guarantee their vote being counted).

The problem is once you've made all those holes for the frail / pregnant / soldiers the fraudsters can go through those instead, so you end up with very little security gain.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    AndyJS said:

Er! Just checked and confirmed that the person lives in the Philippines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22423878

Heard that geography teaching in UK schools was bad but didn't believe it until now.
This discussion has been closed.