Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even with poll leads there are still two massive hurdles fo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even with poll leads there are still two massive hurdles for the Tories: LAB’s inherent electoral advantage and LD stickiness

The “boundaries” has become a misleading shorthand to describe the challenge the Tories face with the way the general election electoral system operates under first past the post.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited March 2014
    FPT: "The LDs would be fools to choose Cable over Alexander as shadow chancellor at GE2015"

Fools to want someone the voter seems to actually still like (comparatively) in the second most high profile spot for a GE campaign? It's certainly 'bold' thinking that wee Danny's lack of popularity would somehow cancel out Clegg's toxicity with the voters.

Not just the public in general though. Lest we forget when those lib dem members that are left are asked wee Danny is rated near the bottom along with Clegg while Vince has been at the top for years now. Hard to see how sidelining Cable and putting wee Danny front and centre would motivate the lib dem base.

Aside from that if Clegg really does want to do some serious differentiation posturing is there some reason why little Danny would keep "where the bodies are buried" a secret from Clegg? Wee Danny's differentiation on the economy would also have to start for it to be anything other than purely theoretical. Sure, he laughed at Grant Shapps and CCHQ's incompetence but who didn't apart from out of touch posh twerps?

As for claiming the credit for any recovery, how's that working out right now? Any bump for the lib dems after the budget even if such bumps tend to be temporary anyway?

The fact that so many PB tories seem very keen for wee Danny to be up against Osbrowne should speak for itself. With so many lib dem tory marginals in play I somehow don't think they have the best interest of the lib dems at heart.

In the end though it really doesn't matter who calamity Clegg picks since, if the lib dems take anywhere near the hammering the polls are pointing to, then another coalition is a complete pipe dream. The less lib dem MPs there are, the less chance there is of a hung parliament.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    LDs “will fight furious high octane campaigns based on significant databases to try to hold on to what is there’s.”

I think the third person plural possessive pronoun is ‘theirs’ rather than ‘there’s’.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    - "Is it any wonder that in just two LD held constituencies the bookies make the Tories the favourites to take the seat?"

Which two?
  • Options
    As far as I can see the bookies have only published online prices for 5 Scottish seats, and funnily enough, all of them are Lib Dem-held (that fact in itself speaks volumes). According to these prices, the SLDs will hold 2 and lose 3, even coming third in a seat (Argyll & Bute).

Argyll & Bute SNP Gain 7/4 (Lab 2/1, LD 5/2)
    East Dunbartonshire LAB Gain 1/2 (LD 6/4)
    Edinburgh West LAB Gain 4/5 (LD 5/4)
    Inverness LD Hold 1/2 (Lab 7/2)
    West Aberdeenshire LD Hold 8/11 (Con 6/4)

I would love to see prices for:

- Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk (Baxter gives CON a 61% chance of a gain)
    - Caithness Sutherland and Easter Ross (Baxter has SNP as FAV)
    - North East Fife (Baxter has LD as extremely narrow FAV, and it looks to be an ultra-marginal 3-way fight)
    - Gordon (Baxter gives the SNP a 53% chance)
  • Options
    There is a 4th main vote driver - a key one the Tories seem oblivious to. We do not hold a national election in this country, merely simultaneous local ones. Taking a national percentage of the vote and translating that into a national percentage of seats on a 1:1 basis is proportional representation, something Tories vote against. Under their preferred FPTP system the winning majority is 1 in each seat, any accumulation of votes above 1 or votes in seats you do not win do not count towards winning other seats elsewhere.

What instead we have is the 5th main vote driver, one that the Tories scream blue murder about when you raise it. The Tories are now a regional party. Very strong in English shires, very week in metropolitan and urban parts or England. And Wales. And Scotland. No amount of fiddling with boundaries can fix the lax of votes across the geographic GB. As their friends in the LibDems can explain.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    In 2010 there was a Cleggasm as a result of him taking part in the televised debates and revealing him to the electorate - a feature that had not completely dissipated by the day of the GE. Yet the LDs still lost seats,

In 2015, that feature is very unlikely to occur and could even reverse and the LDs poll at 15% or less - thus it is very probable that LD stickiness will diminish.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited March 2014
    The two LD held seats where the bookies make the Tories the favourites are Solihull and Berwick
  • Options
    The world's biggest investment fund manager has said Scottish independence would bring
    Blackrock's assessment was that those risks would be "mostly for Scotland, but also for the remaining UK".

The report comes as an academic's analysis strongly disputed the UK Treasury's rejection of a currency union post-Yes.

Blackrock, which is based in New York and manages trillions in financial assets, will be sending out its 12-page assessment to clients next week.

It said a currency union between an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK "looks infeasible" and would "bring risks to both countries".

The asset managers believed the "best of the few choices" Scotland had would be to launch its own currency.

The company said oil and gas were critical to Scotland's finances but fiscal spending based on specific oil revenue projections was "uncertain and probably unwise".

It reported that banks and insurers would face pressure to move headquarters to a "stronger fiscal state with a more certain regulatory backdrop".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26705466
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

There is a 4th main vote driver - a key one the Tories seem oblivious to. We do not hold a national election in this country, merely simultaneous local ones. Taking a national percentage of the vote and translating that into a national percentage of seats on a 1:1 basis is proportional representation, something Tories vote against. Under their preferred FPTP system the winning majority is 1 in each seat, any accumulation of votes above 1 or votes in seats you do not win do not count towards winning other seats elsewhere.

What instead we have is the 5th main vote driver, one that the Tories scream blue murder about when you raise it. The Tories are now a regional party. Very strong in English shires, very week in metropolitan and urban parts or England. And Wales. And Scotland. No amount of fiddling with boundaries can fix the lax of votes across the geographic GB. As their friends in the LibDems can explain.

1) Most Tories (at least the ones on here) realise that we vote for a local representative. Most Labourites realise it as well - indeed, they're relying on it to get over the Miliband gap. It will be interesting to see if Miliband features heavily on candidate's election leaflets come the GE, or if he is left off.

2) The reason people take a percentage from a poll and apply it to the nation as a whole (i.e. UNS) is because the majority of polls are national only: it is all that can realistically be done. Criticisms and discussions of UNS appear on here frequently, including threaders by Mike and others. It's an imperfect tool, but so is trying to apply subsamples to the same effect. There are other ways, and again there are frequent discussions of them.

3) The split isn't really a regional one: it's a town versus country one. As a mass generalisation for England, then Conservatives do well in country areas, and Labour well in towns. They're not traditionally 'regions'. Perhaps Labour should be asking themselves why they seem not to offer the hard workers in the countryside a good offer. In fact, do they care for them at all?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited March 2014

. The Tories are now a regional party. Very strong in English shires, very week in metropolitan and urban parts or England. And Wales. .

Hmm - you think Labour have seats all over the country ? Try looking at a colour coded electoral results map sometime.

Deluded.

• Options

The two LD held seats where the bookies make the Tories the favourites are Solihull and Berwick

The CONS are only EVS in Berwick, although they are 1/2 FAV in Solihull.

Are there any other LD-held seats where the CONS should probably be FAV but where the bookies have not yet published prices yet? I assume that Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk (Michael Moore's seat) must be a candidate? Maybe even North East Fife?

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    TGOHF said:

. The Tories are now a regional party. Very strong in English shires, very week in metropolitan and urban parts or England. And Wales. .

Hmm - you think Labour have seats all over the country ? Try looking at a colour coded electoral results map sometime.

Deluded.

Let's have a look at one:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/04/mapping-britain

It's true that there is a blue doughnut around London. But everywhere else it's about half-and-half, at best for the Tories.

So yes, it's fair to say that actually both parties are pretty well regionalised, with the obvious battleground being the Midlands.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

U

Deluded.

It's true that there is a blue doughnut around London. But everywhere else it's about half-and-half, at best for the Tories.

So yes, it's fair to say that actually both parties are pretty well regionalised, with the obvious battleground being the Midlands.
    Neither party has national support - I agree. Canmot see any reversal in that in 2015 either.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The Lib Dems are the only really national party, with representation in urban, suburban and rural England Wales and Scotland
    TGOHF said:

Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

U

Deluded.

Neither party has national support - I agree. Canmot see any reversal in that in 2015 either.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2014

The CONS are only EVS in Berwick, although they are 1/2 FAV in Solihull.

It depends on the bookie - Ladbrokes have come in with odds very different to the other two who quote a price:

Con: Paddy Power 1.4, Stan James 1.33, Ladbrokes 2.0
    LD: Paddy Power 2.75, Stan James 3.0, Ladbrokes 1.73

This is rather odd, and gives an opportunity of an arb if anyone can get on with PP or Stan James (not me!).

I've just taken the Ladbrokes Evens on Con. Looks a snip to me.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Also, on the ground organisation, Labour is superbly organised. The Tories are not even present in som eplaces, let alone organised.
  • Options
    Given that we have daily polls, I don't see why the data can't be re-churned to produce weekly regional ones. It just takes someone to pay Kellner the dosh...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Also, on the ground organisation, Labour is superbly organised. The Tories are not even present in som eplaces, let alone organised.

The same can be said for Labour - I was living in Romsey for the 2010 GE, which was a Conservative<>Lib Dem marginal, and the Labour candidate was utterly unseen. No leaflets and no meetings that I could find. He still got 6%, though.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    Mick_Pork said:

FPT: "The LDs would be fools to choose Cable over Alexander as shadow chancellor at GE2015"

Fools to want someone the voter seems to actually still like (comparatively) in the second most high profile spot for a GE campaign? .

I know you don't do "polls" - but you might want to check out yesterday's YouGov........

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

The Lib Dems are the only really national party, with representation in urban, suburban and rural England Wales and Scotland

TGOHF said:

Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

U

Deluded.

It’s not that long since Labour held several seats in, for example, Norfolk. Is it gentrification, organisation or what?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Why are they so useless at winning seats in the shires then ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    More trouble at Coop Bank:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26711709

I wonder what warranties the Coop group gave when the new shareholders came in last year?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    I don't know why you're wasting your time pointing this out Mike. It remains the case that a hard core of SE Tories think policies giving bigger majorities in Surrey are going to win an election. The facts remain that a factory worker in Nuneaton is more important electorally than an Investment banker in Virginia Water. The current batch of Conservative planners can't get their heads round this.
  • Options
    Way off-topic:

Track is going down in the Dawlish breach:
    http://www.siteeyelive.com/monitor/bbcdawlish/camputerb86.jpg

These are short track panels, and the rails will be replaced later with longer lengths suitable for welding.

I guess their first priority is to get the trains running, and then to sort out he road behind it afterwards. If the freakishly high estimates for what the closure's costing the southwest are true, then that makes sense.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

U

Deluded.

Yup. Two "One Nation" parties missing a nation.
  • Options

Way off-topic:

I get the sense we are getting (relatively) good at major infrastructure - starting from T5, then the Olympics (which I was convinced we'd screw up) and now CrossRail.......who knows how HS2 will turn out......

• Options

TGOHF said:

Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

U

Deluded.

Are we one nation though? I feel alot closer culturally to some of the pleasant, good English speaking Dutch than I do to many of my countrymen. I don't think Miliband is even from the same planet.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    As I have pointed out before the 2010 election result was truly exceptional for Labour in terms of their efficiency in gaining seats. Mandy operated a campaign that was entirely focussed on retaining as many seats as possible and avoiding a 1997 tory scenario. The Labour vote collapsed where they did not already hold the seat and the apparent "bias" went through the roof. I frankly don't see anyone even close to Mandy's efficiency and competence in Labour today.

I think it is also the case that a lot of Labour supporters were willing to vote for the Lib Dems if they were in with a chance of keeping the tory out, which, let's face it, is the entire mission statement of much of their support.

You only have to go back to 2005 to get a much less "efficient" Labour vote. In 2015 they will almost certainly get more votes from those who no longer see a difference between yellow and blue. It won't win them any seats but it may well cause the Lib dems a few problems.

I don't dispute that Labour's vote will still be more efficient in 2015 but the gap will be much narrower. If anything I suspect that UNS will understate the seats the tories might win or lose rather than overstate it for this reason. Doesn't mean they don't need a bigger lead though.

So far as the Lib Dems are concerned in each set of local elections they have been losing a minimum of 1/3 of their seats. I think something similar will happen in the General election. I expect them to lose 15-20 seats. They will probably lose 6 in Scotland alone.
  • Options
    A question: given the radically different lifestyles in the UK today: not just town and country, but religious, ethnic, nationalistic, and others, is it possible for a party to be a "One nation" party?

Even Blair in his 1997 landslide only got 43%.
  • Options

I wonder what warranties the Coop group gave when the new shareholders came in last year?

Robert Peston blogs, "After the rescue last year, Co-op Group's shareholding in the bank was cut from 100% to 30%.

The rest of the shares are held by investment institutions, led by a group of hedge funds.

The largest shareholder, after Co-op Bank, is the hedge fund Perry Capital.

How the shareholders will react to being asked for another £400m, so soon after they put in around £1bn, will be interesting to see."

I do not see the hedge funds being very patient with long term debtors who are not backed by tangible assets - the Labour Party may find itself under more pressure to repay its overdraft.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

U

Deluded.

Are we one nation though? I feel alot closer culturally to some of the pleasant, good English speaking Dutch than I do to many of my countrymen. I don't think Miliband is even from the same planet.
    Well that's a good question there are in any country "difficult fits". However I look on it that if people in Somerset can share the aspirations of people in Scotland then we're all better together after all.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Robert Peston blogs, "After the rescue last year, Co-op Group's shareholding in the bank was cut from 100% to 30%.

The rest of the shares are held by investment institutions, led by a group of hedge funds.

How the shareholders will react to being asked for another £400m, so soon after they put in around £1bn, will be interesting to see."

I do not see the hedge funds being very patient with long term debtors who are not backed by tangible assets - the Labour Party may find itself under more pressure to repay its overdraft.
    The hedgies I suspect will cough up their £280m and ask the Co-op to cough up its £120m. When it can't they'll dilute it to bystander wtaching from the sidelines and run the bank their way.
  • Options

Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

U

Deluded.

Well that's a good question there are in any country "difficult fits". However I look on it that if people in Somerset can share the aspirations of people in Scotland then we're all better together after all.
    R4 just did a segment on that very topic - two vox pops - one from Berwick, where interest in and concern about SIndy was high, the other from Suffolk ("where?" to one of the Berwick residents) where the response was "if they want to go its up to them, I'm not bothered one way or another...." So the government trying to persuade Scotland to stay are not doing it on your behalf?" 'definitely not......"

• Options
    Financier said:

And the Tories will be pressing Perry & the rest to do so, I've no doubt.

I daresay Labour have a contingency plan... perhaps they'll fight the next election as the Co-operative Party :)

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS ****

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to JNN that ARSE is producing a special post budget/10th PB Anniversary 2015 General Election Projection to be published on 25th March at 9:00am

BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS ****

..............................................................................................................................

WIND - Whimsical Independent News Division
    JNN - Jacobite News Network
    ARSE - Anonymous Random Selection of Electors
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    The first two "problems" might be addressed by Ukip standing in every seat. Previously many people would just vote Tory whether the candidate stood a chance or not, and in 2015 Tories will continue to be elected where there is a challenger but elsewhere there will be freedom to vote Ukip
  • Options

Way off-topic:

I get the sense we are getting (relatively) good at major infrastructure - starting from T5, then the Olympics (which I was convinced we'd screw up) and now CrossRail.......who knows how HS2 will turn out......
    Maybe in England. Scotland's not doing so well.
    (cough) Edinburgh tram (/cough)
    (cough) Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine (/cough)
  • Options

I don't know why you're wasting your time pointing this out Mike. It remains the case that a hard core of SE Tories think policies giving bigger majorities in Surrey are going to win an election. The facts remain that a factory worker in Nuneaton is more important electorally than an Investment banker in Virginia Water. The current batch of Conservative planners can't get their heads round this.

The Conservatives have planners?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    Apologies if this was linked to last night but a typically punchy piece by Boris: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/10717846/Budget-2014-the-Lamborghini-ride-that-says-power-to-the-people.html

What I found particularly interesting was this bit:

"As it happens, I think this reading is unfair on Ed. He wasn’t ignorant; he was just desperate. He knew instinctively that he had been aced by George Osborne – with a long, looping, high-kicking and unreturnable serve. The Tory firework had gone straight through the Labour catflap. The hand grenade had tinkle-plinked down the periscope and was bouncing about in the cabin of the Labour submarine and – KABOOM! – their position was destroyed."

The stories of the row between Osborne and Boris may well have been true but this is a clear message that Boris is supporting Osborne and is fully onboard with the tory leadership. In my view it increases the chances of Boris standing at the next election.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Morning all :)

First, belated birthday greetings to PB and many thanks to Mike, Robert and the various Moderators and contributors for keeping this site going under what must occasionally be trying circumstances.

I'm one of the "old guard" - I forget exactly when I joined but I was definitely here in 2004 as I remember debating (when one could a bit more) with Sean Fear and Marcus Wood about the upcoming General Election.

10 years on and it's good to see a few familiar faces still here - one of my personal highlights was the BBQ on the terrace of the National Liberal Club - would that we could do such events now as Dirty Dick's never has the same ambience.

Anyhow, to be more on-topic, I have long said the 2014 London Borough elections are the critical barometer for the 2015 GE - boroughs like Kingston and Sutton for example will tell you how entrenched LD organisations are faring against the Conservatives while places like Barnet, Bexley, Croydon and Havering will tell you how the Con vs. Labour fight is going.
  • Options

yes, I believe they share them with the SNP.
  • Options

Way off-topic:

The Edinburgh tram fiasco was one I was well aware of, the train line not:

The line, which was the first to be built in Scotland after devolution, cost more than twice its budget, and was finished two and a half years late in 2008.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/years-of-delays-on-stirling-alloa-kincardine-line-1-3274468
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and the big question of the day should be whether YouGov will resemble the Grand Old Duke of York this evening? Having marched us to the point of crossover on Saturday night, will they march us on to the top of the hill this evening or back down to the bottom and a Labour lead of 2-5%.

As for "LibDem" invincibility, it is just nonsense. 2010 was the first election since 1992 where we saw LibDems defending seats they had won in large numbers from the Tories. There was a net gain by the Tories and no fewer than 20 seats, almost 40% of all LibDem seats hung on with majorities of less than 5%. Next year will be the test and given the high percentage of LibDem MPs retiring, especially those who have won former Tory seats since 1987 in Scotland and 1992 in England, I wouldn't rate their chances as being any better than anyone else.

The LibDems who will be hardest for the Tories to shift are the ones with whom they have worked most closely in government.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Financier said:

And the Tories will be pressing Perry & the rest to do so, I've no doubt.

I daresay Labour have a contingency plan... perhaps they'll fight the next election as the Co-operative Party :)

Tough call. If you were a hedge fund do you :

- call in the debts and screw up Labour's cash ( forcing the TUs to bail them out )
    - sit tight knowing you have potentially the next HMG by the short and curlies and then call in your pound of flesh - " Ed about all this bank legislation, listen carefully ,here's our view ...."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Is it any wonder that in just two LD held constituencies the bookies make the Tories the favourites to take the seat?

Solihull and ?
  • Options

They both have a preference for "truth" (sic) over "facts".....

• Options

Way off-topic:

The Olympics in London was a momumental cock-up in terms of budgetry constraint. It cost, remind me, 3 times the original estimate!

The Glasgow Commonwealth Games infrastructure has been completed ahead of timetable and on budget.
  • Options

Way off-topic:

The line, which was the first to be built in Scotland after devolution, cost more than twice its budget, and was finished two and a half years late in 2008.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/years-of-delays-on-stirling-alloa-kincardine-line-1-3274468
    It's worse than that: the line's having regular closures so that it can be fundamentally rebuilt:

The SNP can rightly blame the previous administrations for these messes. However I fear the Waverley Line rebuild and the second Forth crossing are going to go the same way, and they are firmly in the SNP government's powers. However at least on the latter it looks as though the contractors may get the excess bill ...
  • Options
    More English propaganda:

SCOTTISH Government projections on oil and gas revenues are “skewed in an optimistic manner”, according to academics from Glasgow University’s Centre for Public Policy for Regions.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-oil-projections-skewed-1-3351261
  • Options

Way off-topic:

The Olympics in London was a momumental cock-up in terms of budgetry constraint. It cost, remind me, 3 times the original estimate!

The Glasgow Commonwealth Games infrastructure has been completed ahead of timetable and on budget.
    Utterly agree about the Olympics, but its infrastructure was ready on time. But is it true about the Commonwealth Games?

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2014/9672-glasgow-2014-budget-now-over-half-a-billion-pounds
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    DavidL said:

Apologies if this was linked to last night but a typically punchy piece by Boris: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/10717846/Budget-2014-the-Lamborghini-ride-that-says-power-to-the-people.html

What I found particularly interesting was this bit:

"As it happens, I think this reading is unfair on Ed. He wasn’t ignorant; he was just desperate. He knew instinctively that he had been aced by George Osborne – with a long, looping, high-kicking and unreturnable serve. The Tory firework had gone straight through the Labour catflap. The hand grenade had tinkle-plinked down the periscope and was bouncing about in the cabin of the Labour submarine and – KABOOM! – their position was destroyed."

The stories of the row between Osborne and Boris may well have been true but this is a clear message that Boris is supporting Osborne and is fully onboard with the tory leadership. In my view it increases the chances of Boris standing at the next election.

DavidL, thank you for the link.

A couple of other good quotes from Boris:

"It is the first time I have heard a Lib Dem say anything remotely liberal, in the sense of free market (I await the day when they stick up for democracy, in the face of the intrusion from Brussels, but you never know)."

"In The Observer, Will Hutton prophesied that “This pensions 'freedom’ will be a long-term social disaster.” He argued that pension contributions were sheltered from tax, and that therefore, “We should care if the resulting money is spent on a Lamborghini: a chunk of the car belongs by right to taxpayers.”

Isn’t that amazing? By that ridiculous logic a chunk of anything that we buy with our existing pensions “belongs by right to taxpayers”. Is he seriously saying that taxpayers have a right to go around telling people how to spend their pensions? It isn’t taxpayers’ money, you Lefty bossyboots control freak: it’s the money that the pensioners have saved up themselves – out of their taxed income!"
  • Options

Way off-topic:

Utterly agree about the Olympics, but its infrastructure was ready on time. But is it true about the Commonwealth Games?

http://www.insidethegames.biz/commonwealth-games/2014/9672-glasgow-2014-budget-now-over-half-a-billion-pounds
    Many of us doubt the promise of the SNP to dual the A9 by 2025. In the 7 years they have been in power, the Ballinluig overpass is about the only improvement they have made and it was planned by the previous Lab-Lib Government. A fact most Scots would hate to admit is the greatest improvements to the A9 were carried out by Margaret Thatcher between 1979 and 1990 when most of the current dual carriageway sections were built.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Financier, isn't Hutton the 'economist' who managed to run a hundred year old economics thinktank into bankruptcy?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    We can expect unusual voter movements at the next election because of the unusual nature of the government. But the Lib Dems had already squeezed the Labour vote hard by 2010, and it seems unlikely that will increase in 2015, given the course of this government. If as seems likely the Lib Dems are polling well below their 2010 national figure this time next year, they will lose rather more than two seats to the Conservatives. Bet accordingly.

The movements of 2010 Lib Dem voters in Conservative/Labour marginals are important. Certainly the limited evidence that we have suggests that they appear to be breaking disproportionately towards Labour at present. But if the Conservatives get a lead in the national opinion polls, we will then need to ascertain where that lead is coming from. While it is logically possible that lead is coming from voters exclusively in safe seats or hopeless seats, it defies all notions of common sense.

Since such a lead has not yet been established (and still may never happen), we obviously cannot do this ascertaining. But we can in advance be fairly sure that the differential swing to Labour shown in the previous marginals polling will be muffled if it does happen.

Oh, and no discussion of this subject should omit the mention of first-time incumbency bonus. Most of the Conservative/Labour marginals are held by first-time incumbents. Such incumbents usually do disproportionately well. In these seats, the incumbents all wear blue rosettes.

All of which leads me to believe that the Conservatives will not face quite such a hard task in these seats as our host suggests in the thread header.
  • Options
    BLUE (cheese) on BLUE

It appears Conservative ministers are having a full fat fight over the merits of British cheese.

One wonders who's going to be the big cheese in that spat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/10717791/Tory-row-over-cheese.html
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited March 2014
    According to the Daily Mail, The Sunday Times You Gov poll only finds that 41% of voters think that Ed Miliband is weird. This is clearly a rogue poll as the figure should be close to 100%
  • Options
    JackW said:

BLUE (cheese) on BLUE

It appears Conservative ministers are having a full fat fight over the merits of British cheese.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/10717791/Tory-row-over-cheese.html

Edam bureaucracy.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Financier, isn't Hutton the 'economist' who managed to run a hundred year old economics thinktank into bankruptcy?

MD - always best to ignore anything written/said by Will Hutton.

However if you are into economic theory, the piece about Hyman Minsky and his writings is worth a read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26680993
  • Options

Way off-topic:

Many of us doubt the promise of the SNP to dual the A9 by 2025. In the 7 years they have been in power, the Ballinluig overpass is about the only improvement they have made and it was planned by the previous Lab-Lib Government. A fact most Scots would hate to admit is the greatest improvements to the A9 were carried out by Margaret Thatcher between 1979 and 1990 when most of the current dual carriageway sections were built.
    I've always thought the A9 should be called "The Thatcher Way"

Chortle ....

• Options

Way off-topic:

I've only driven along the A9 a dozen or so times (most of my trips that far north are by train). How busy does the section between Perth and Inverness actually get?

They solved the short dual carriageway problems on the old A50 (before the Etwall to Uttoxeter stretch was bypassed) by closing off the shortest sections, converting them to single carriageways. Some were only a couple of hundred yards long.

I love the A9, and some of the places it passes are truly beautiful. It gets better further north than Inverness IMHO. It's always fun seeing lorries trying to get past Berriedale!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

All of which leads me to believe that the Conservatives will not face quite such a hard task in these seats as our host suggests in the thread header.

I don't think the voters have had their Ed (n Ed) epiphany yet. Miliband's been in the job a while and there is generally a low grade 'effing whining idiot' vibe about him - but he has mostly been notable for his relative invisibility. In the run up to the GE Labour are going to have to offer up some policies and have the Ed n Ed show fronting them. There's a real possibility of a late breaking meltdown as the electorate take their once every 5 years look at what's on offer and go 'eeeewww!'.
  • Options

Well, these Conservative "planners" certainly seem to be doing their very best to secure a Yes vote. I wonder when they will pop George back on the plane for another Aberdeen day-trip?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

No, that was another one, this one is the one who made dire predictions about us staying out of the Euro......And after eurogeddon said we should have gone in anyway.....

If only Britain had joined the euro

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jun/13/if-britain-had-joined-the-euro
  • Options
    Patrick said:

antifrank said:

I don't think the voters have had their Ed (n Ed) epiphany yet. Miliband's been in the job a while and there is generally a low grade 'effing whining idiot' vibe about him - but he has mostly been notable for his relative invisibility. In the run up to the GE Labour are going to have to offer up some policies and have the Ed n Ed show fronting them. There's a real possibility of a late breaking meltdown as the electorate take their once every 5 years look at what's on offer and go 'eeeewww!'.
    The same voters never had their Brown epiphany that was much trailed on here. I wouldn't put much faith in the idea of an Ed (n Ed) epiphany either.
  • Options
    Mr. Financier, I'll give it a quick look but my economic knowledge is not fantastic.

Better than Ed Miliband's, obviously, or Ed Balls, but still not great.
  • Options

Well, these Conservative "planners" certainly seem to be doing their very best to secure a Yes vote. I wonder when they will pop George back on the plane for another Aberdeen day-trip?
    Given Scots Conservatives overwhelmingly support the Union, what more do the Conservatives need to do? It's (the more numerous) Scottish Labour voters who are least decided and most likely to vote "yes" than the other Unionist parties - surely the job of persuading them rests mainly with Miliband and Lamont?
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Way off-topic:

Don't talk to me about the F£&*ing trams...

I live in Leith and the tram was supposed to pass the end of our street. We were willing to put up with the years (literally) of disruption and roadworks as we could see some point to it. Then the Granton loop/spur was abandoned due to cost overruns taking away the one part of the proposed route that was not adequately covered by the excellent bus services that this city boasts. The route that was left was basically the number 22 bus (which runs every 5 mins and costs £1.50 to go anywhere).
    Then the cost overrun continued and they were going to scrap it completely, but realised that having completely fouled up the city for the best part of half a decade they had better end up with something to show for it. The new proposal was to end at Haymarket in the west end of the city, making it the most useless tram line ever. The saved some (not a lot) of face by extending that to the east end of Princes St/Queen St, so it is now a single line from the centre of town to the airport.
    Meanwhile, the roads in the centre of town and down Leith Walk to Ocean Terminal are an absolute disgrace. Roadworks after roadworks after roadworks have left it potholed to buggery.

To say I'm angry about the whole sorry affair is an understatement.

• Options
    This story is interesting. I'd assumed that the Apollo theatre's ceiling collapsed due to water ingress. Instead, it appears that it was weak materials. This could be a ticking timebomb for other theatres.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26689705
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    If the average pension pot is £25,000 as Boris says, there is absolutely no point in those who have that amount putting the money into an annuity, is there? They might as well spend it all and live off the state.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    The black swan event in terms of making money betting on outcomes is considering the circumstances that would be capable of changing this pattern.

The corollary of the existence of this advantage for Labour in the status quo is that the Tories could pick up seats even on a zero swing in the national vote shares, if they can reduce the extent of this advantage.

One might imagine, for example, that some Liberal Democrat voters in Lab-Con marginals might become more inclined to vote tactically Tory if they are reminded that the Coalition with the Tories enabled them to see some of their manifesto delivered (eg the increase in the personal tax allowance, the pupil premium, etc) and also to junk some of the more negative aspects of the previous Labour government (eg ID cards, Ed Balls as a cabinet minister, etc).

I'm reminded of the polling from the 1980s that had a majority of Alliance voters expressing a preference for a Conservative government over a Labour one, contrary to the simplistic assumption by Thatcher-haters that the left-wing vote was split.

I agree that the Ashcroft polling suggests that the Tories have not made much progress on this - though do we have a comparable baseline from the previous Parliament to compare to? - but the potential is there. These sorts of electoral patterns are not written in stone. They can be changed.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, Hutton sounds like he's off his rocker.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Way off-topic:

These are short track panels, and the rails will be replaced later with longer lengths suitable for welding.

I guess their first priority is to get the trains running, and then to sort out he road behind it afterwards. If the freakishly high estimates for what the closure's costing the southwest are true, then that makes sense.

Anecdotal, obviously, but advance bookings for my holiday let in west Cornwall are down 70% for the coming season versus last year. We've only let one week of Easter rather than the previously-reliable 3 weeks and that probably won't change now. Our agents are reporting the same across their portfolio of 120+ high end properties. Given that people staying in those properties drive a lot of the tourist spend in the area, you can see the scale of the impact.

Also stupid given that, almost without exception, people drive to get here. And the roads have remained fine.
  • Options

Way off-topic:

Don't talk to me about the F£&*ing trams...

I live in Leith and the tram was supposed to pass the end of our street. We were willing to put up with the years (literally) of disruption and roadworks as we could see some point to it. Then the Granton loop/spur was abandoned due to cost overruns taking away the one part of the proposed route that was not adequately covered by the excellent bus services that this city boasts. The route that was left was basically the number 22 bus (which runs every 5 mins and costs £1.50 to go anywhere).
    Then the cost overrun continued and they were going to scrap it completely, but realised that having completely fouled up the city for the best part of half a decade they had better end up with something to show for it. The new proposal was to end at Haymarket in the west end of the city, making it the most useless tram line ever. The saved some (not a lot) of face by extending that to the east end of Princes St/Queen St, so it is now a single line from the centre of town to the airport.
    Meanwhile, the roads in the centre of town and down Leith Walk to Ocean Terminal are an absolute disgrace. Roadworks after roadworks after roadworks have left it potholed to buggery.

To say I'm angry about the whole sorry affair is an understatement.

Not taking the tram down to Leith is a massive mistake IMHO. My guess is that the airport should be served by a branch from the railway line, as was proposed and passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Airport_Rail_Link
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Way off-topic:

I've only driven along the A9 a dozen or so times (most of my trips that far north are by train). How busy does the section between Perth and Inverness actually get?

They solved the short dual carriageway problems on the old A50 (before the Etwall to Uttoxeter stretch was bypassed) by closing off the shortest sections, converting them to single carriageways. Some were only a couple of hundred yards long.

I love the A9, and some of the places it passes are truly beautiful. It gets better further north than Inverness IMHO. It's always fun seeing lorries trying to get past Berriedale!
    The problem with the A9 isn't that it gets busy, but as the only link road to the north it can be really slow/frustrating when a convoy gets stuck behind a slow moving vehicle. It has several accident hotspots all along the stretch. The changes from dual to single carriage way also cause problems with people overtaking thinking they are still on a dual carriage way stretch when they are not.
  • Options
    Kite flying?

@bbclaurak: John Mills, biggest individual Labour donor, calling for pound to be devalued...

A good dose of inflation should help the "cost of living crisis"......
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Way off-topic:

Anecdotal, obviously, but advance bookings for my holiday let in west Cornwall are down 70% for the coming season versus last year. We've only let one week of Easter rather than the previously-reliable 3 weeks and that probably won't change now. Our agents are reporting the same across their portfolio of 120+ high end properties. Given that people staying in those properties drive a lot of the tourist spend in the area, you can see the scale of the impact.

Also stupid given that, almost without exception, people drive to get here. And the roads have remained fine.
    Sorry to hear that. The media's stupid "Cornwall cut off" meme cannot have helped.

I was hoping to do my bit for Cornish tourism by taking a trip down there. Sadly events have got in the way ...
  • Options
    Mr. Polruan, I'm sorry to hear that. The media coverage was entirely about rail lines and Cornwall being cut off. Mentions of road networks were minimal at best. I've long said the media coverage in various areas should be better, and it's a great shame many people will lose out this tourist season perhaps because of such reporting.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,923

Way off-topic:

Way off-topic:

Was the delay in the A9 work not due to the insistence of Labour, Libs and Tories in diverting moneys to the Edinburgh trams in the teeth of the SNP minority government?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,088

Way off-topic:

Both were labour pet projects , what else would you expect. Their planning involves sticking a digit up an orifice and guessing a small number and an early date.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

If the average pension pot is £25,000 as Boris says, there is absolutely no point in those who have that amount putting the money into an annuity, is there? They might as well spend it all and live off the state.

Well, you're not wrong. But it just goes to show two things
    1) The vast majority of people don't prepare for their retirement anywhere near a level like they should
    2) How difficult it is to actually do that.

In fact also 3..how hugely unfair/generous some final salary schemes are compared with what you provide yourself.
  • Options

Way off-topic:

Josias is not too bright with his bias. If only Scotland had the unlimited cash to throw at infrastructure projects that they have in London and the south.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Way off-topic:

We were thinking of doing a couple of weeks in Cornwall this summer - last two weeks of August. I had assumed, though, that there would be no chance of finding anywhere so have not bothered looking. Which agencies are the best to try?

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

Who do you think the PPE boys encounter - Nuneaton factory workers or Virginia Water investment bankers ? Or for that matter Nuneaton factory workers or Islington guardianistas ?

Of course some people are able to understand that their own personal experiences aren't necessary typical or the most relevant to the country generally.

But the PPE crowd certainly exude a smugness and arrogance that the interests of your Nuneaton factory workers are beneath them.

This applies to the Labour branch of the PPE crowd as well as the Conservative branch and helps explain the failure of the Eds to connect and their response to the Budget last week.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Mike keeps conveniently forgetting that the bookies havent priced up most of the LD/Tory marginals in South West London for example.
    The conservatives are targeting those seats and a lot of money and resource is going into them at present.
    Sutton and Cheam is a 40/40 target seat and is having money thrown at it as well as bimonthly visits from Cabinet ministers.
    Burstow is looking very vulnerable as to a lesser extent is Tom Brake in Carshalton and Wallington.
    The local hospital being under threat is not helping Brake and Burstows cause especially after what Burstow did with clause 119 2 weeks ago by agreeing to act for 38 degrees and act on behalf of 155000 people and then reneging at the last minute.
    The other issue in Sutton is that at the forthcoming local elections 22 out of 43 sitting Lib Dem cllrs are standing down leaving their activist base depleted and the incumbency affect watered down.
    I am not saying the Lib Dems will lose the council but they are bound to lose quite a few wards..
    Cmon Shadsy price up those 2 constituencies.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Mike, there's an error in the first table.

"Overall GB votes in seats where 3rd %" and the comment
    "Firstly, from the GE2010 outcome we see that a much higher proportion of the blue vote gets wasted in seats where the party is third."

should read

"Average GB votes % in seats won by 3rd parties" and the comment
    "Firstly, from the GE2010 outcome we see that a much higher proportion of the blue vote gets wasted in seats won by third parties."

It's a double whammy actually. The Tories waste more votes losing to third parties, and most third party seats won are former Tory seats...
  • Options

1) The vast majority of people don't prepare for their retirement anywhere near a level like they should

In fact also 3..how hugely unfair/generous some final salary schemes are compared with what you provide yourself.

People in final salary schemes also make pretty sizeable contributions to their pensions and may well have taken the relevant jobs - which pay less than they might have got elsewhere - because of them.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Way off-topic:

Both were labour pet projects , what else would you expect. Their planning involves sticking a digit up an orifice and guessing a small number and an early date.
    There were also changes to the devolution settlement with a transfer of the railway side later than the Scottish Parliament was set up, was it not? And the Railtrack disaster. I don't know if those affected the Alloa line project?

• Options

Who do you think the PPE boys encounter - Nuneaton factory workers or Virginia Water investment bankers ? Or for that matter Nuneaton factory workers or Islington guardianistas ?

Of course some people are able to understand that their own personal experiences aren't necessary typical or the most relevant to the country generally.

But the PPE crowd certainly exude a smugness and arrogance that the interests of your Nuneaton factory workers are beneath them.

This applies to the Labour branch of the PPE crowd as well as the Conservative branch and helps explain the failure of the Eds to connect and their response to the Budget last week.
    Perhaps the folks who design the PPE curriculum could include some work-experience for the undergrads in eg. Nuneaton factories, Lochaber fish-farms, Swansea offices and Coleraine shops?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Way off-topic:

And the Railtrack disaster. I don't know if those affected the Alloa line project?

Ah! Blame shifting?

Network Rail, which did not build the 13-mile line, said the first shutdown would be in the week starting on 23 February, and affect only coal trains.

Public spending watchdogs criticised the management of the project, which was run by Clackmannanshire Council and the now-scrapped City of Edinburgh Council transport body Tie, before being taken over by the Scottish Government’s Transport Scotland agency in 2007. An Audit Scotland report in 2008 blamed “weak project governance” and “misaligned roles and responsibilities".

• Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Way off-topic:

There were also changes to the devolution settlement with a transfer of the railway side later than the Scottish Parliament was set up, was it not? And the Railtrack disaster. I don't know if those affected the Alloa line project?

It has also been very successful with over 3 times the expected usage. You just wonder what we could do with the £16B spent just on crossrail project for London. We might have a motorway between our two major cities and a dual carriageway to the highlands. Still once we pay for HS2 and manage to get to Manchester we will get to London a bit quicker.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Way off-topic:

And the Railtrack disaster. I don't know if those affected the Alloa line project?

Ah! Blame shifting?

Network Rail, which did not build the 13-mile line, said the first shutdown would be in the week starting on 23 February, and affect only coal trains.

Public spending watchdogs criticised the management of the project, which was run by Clackmannanshire Council and the now-scrapped City of Edinburgh Council transport body Tie, before being taken over by the Scottish Government’s Transport Scotland agency in 2007. An Audit Scotland report in 2008 blamed “weak project governance” and “misaligned roles and responsibilities".

No - in part, serious questions given the problems caused by the Hatfield derailment for Railtrack and the ensuing rail project management. And, in part, we wouldn't want anyone suggesting that the Alloa line problems were directly to do with devolution and the Scottish parliament, would we?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

People in final salary schemes also make pretty sizeable contributions to their pensions and may well have taken the relevant jobs - which pay less than they might have got elsewhere - because of them.

Is that really true anymore? It used to be in the past that (very broadly) public sector jobs were paid less than the equivalent private sector jobs, but had better terms and conditions, including pensions. but over the last 10-15 years, has that remained the case?

• Options
    Incidentally, the Leeds tram system has been cancelled a few times. The last time millions were spent on preparatory work before the funding was pulled.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    antifrank said:

JackW said:

BLUE (cheese) on BLUE

Edam bureaucracy.
    My two year old insists on goat's cheese...
  • Options

SO, what you are forgetting is whether they spend the money or not, they will get exactly the same pension from the state. It's a universal non-contributory pension.

So then it shouldn't matter to you whether they choose to spend £25,000 upfront, stick it in an annuity for £1,000 additional income a year or spend it on a few luxuries over a period of years.
  • Options

Kite flying?

@bbclaurak: John Mills, biggest individual Labour donor, calling for pound to be devalued...

I assume the sarky comment about inflation was your's not John's? He's a very sensible guy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Way off-topic:

Ah! Blame shifting?

. And, in part, we wouldn't want anyone suggesting that the Alloa line problems were directly to do with devolution and the Scottish parliament, would we?
    Or that it was "all Westminster's fault"?

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    timmo said:

Mike keeps conveniently forgetting that the bookies havent priced up most of the LD/Tory marginals in South West London for example.
    The conservatives are targeting those seats and a lot of money and resource is going into them at present.
    Sutton and Cheam is a 40/40 target seat and is having money thrown at it as well as bimonthly visits from Cabinet ministers.
    Burstow is looking very vulnerable as to a lesser extent is Tom Brake in Carshalton and Wallington.
    The local hospital being under threat is not helping Brake and Burstows cause especially after what Burstow did with clause 119 2 weeks ago by agreeing to act for 38 degrees and act on behalf of 155000 people and then reneging at the last minute.
    The other issue in Sutton is that at the forthcoming local elections 22 out of 43 sitting Lib Dem cllrs are standing down leaving their activist base depleted and the incumbency affect watered down.
    I am not saying the Lib Dems will lose the council but they are bound to lose quite a few wards..

We have already.
    Car & Wal
    1/3 LD
    2/1 CON

Sutton & Cheam
    8/11 CON
    Evs LD

In he next few days you'll find prices for every current Lib Dem held seat appearing on our site.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    timmo said:

I used to live in C&W and we had all this big talk from the Conservatives before past elections that they were going to sweep the LDs aside. As I recall, the Tory Group Leader was one of the casualties last time, wasn't he ?

I would also point out that just because a Councillor is standing down doesn't mean he or she isn't going to be politically active supporting new candidates.

On a tangent, I've received an In Touch from the Conservatives here in East Ham or to be precise from the Conservative Mayoral Candidate for Newham (it's a Borough wide newsletter as distinct from the Labour leaflets which are Ward specific). I think the only question on this is whether Sir Robin Wales will get over 50% of the vote.

• Options
    Charles said:

Kite flying?

I assume the sarky comment about inflation was your's not John's? He's a very sensible guy.
    Then perhaps you can explain why devaluation and increased inflation are "sensible ideas"?
This discussion has been closed.