Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories jump 4, UKIP and LDs each drop 3 in post-budget Surv

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories jump 4, UKIP and LDs each drop 3 in post-budget Survation poll for Mail on Sunday

The pollster, which pioneered prompting for Farage’s party, has traditionally had the biggest shares for UKIP. That’s down 3 to 15% while the Tories jump 4. The LDs also see a 3% drop.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited March 2014
    Danny Alexander.

First on merit.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    I wouldn't take this too seriously unless similar results occur with other pollsters.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited March 2014
    - "Not quite cross-over but nearly there"

Exquisite timing for the Yes campaign.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Greetings mortals, been away for a few months/years. Not sure if it has been seen but there is an Online Populus showing on their website taken 19-20 March showing
    Lab 38
    Con 34
    Kippers 12
    Lib Dem 9
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    It's all falling nicely into place...
  • Options
    Up four.

Knock on the door.
  • Options
    Which would appear to support the hollowing out of the liberal/kipper vote shown by survation in favour of the establishment
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    My recollection is that Survation has never produced polls that favourable to the Tories so this was a surprise.The pogo pollster will probably show a growing Labour lead.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

No excuses now...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    This isn't a slight on Survation, but can anybody link me to how accurate the major polling companies were in the lead up the last election?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Whether or not this particular poll is accurate there has been a narrowing of the Labour lead in recent times and it wouldn't be surprising if the Tories got a bump in the polls from the extra attention and goodies coming out of the Budget.

The bingo thing, while fun for Lefties, didn't have the same potency as the pasty tax because it was about giving money not taking it away. It does highlight how careful the Conservatives need to be about their messaging, they may not get off so easy in future.

Welcome back dyedwoolie (dyedinsomewoolsomewhere?)
  • Options
    I reckon if we were seeing a crossover poll this evening, someone would be tweeting big hints by now.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's just one poll. It's roughly what I was expecting, but beware of confirmation bias.
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mr. Woolie :)
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Welcome back dyedwoolie (dyedinsomewoolsomewhere?)

Merci and oui, c'est moi
  • Options
    Evening Morris.
    Did the Populus get reported yesterday? It's two up each for Tory and Lab, down three and one for the Herrings and the Cornish liberals
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

The Danny Alexander price shortens yet again today in Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey (LD maj = 8,765)

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

1/2 is just a daft price IMHO.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Have The Ed's blown it?
  • Options
    A link to the Baxter prediction for the Survation poll

National Prediction: LAB short 16 of majority
    CON 282
    LAB 310
    LIB 31

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.pl?CON=35&TVCON=&LAB=34&TVLAB=&LIB=15&TVLIB=&UKIP=9&region=All+GB+changed+seats&boundary=2010&seat=--Show+all--&minorparties=Y
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

No excuses now...
    Oh, I dunno. I'm sure that the Cyberbritnats like Scott P and Mark Senior will come up with some claptrap to reassure the breek-fillers.

• Options
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

The Danny Alexander price shortens yet again today in Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey (LD maj = 8,765)

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

He is the best and sanest LD by some margin though.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Have The Ed's blown it?

Quite possibly.

• Options
    F1: I'm waiting for Williams to have a nice lay price, but McLaren for the Constructors at 12.5 (only £17) is too long. They should be shorter than both Red Bull and Ferrari (especially Ferrari. The Prancing Horse has a fantastic driver lineup and a car that isn't fast enough and may be too thirsty as well).

So, if you have £17 to spare you might want to avail yourself.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Freggles said:

CON 282
    LAB 310
    LIB 31

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.pl?CON=35&TVCON=&LAB=34&TVLAB=&LIB=15&TVLIB=&UKIP=9&region=All+GB+changed+seats&boundary=2010&seat=--Show+all--&minorparties=Y

Labour will do better than that but still short of a majority. Maybe 5 short.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

No government minister more deserving of re-election, Stuart.

To achieve political success you either need to go to Eton or do a good job.

Danny chose the latter route.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Labour vote not changed. That's they key takeaway.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    mini credit boom doing its thing at the top end - better hope those sanctions don't end up biting the hand that bungs them
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    I hope it's true, but the story on the sidebar about Hitler living to 95 in Brazil reminds me that this is from the Express.
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, not sure. It'll be interested to see how accurate the various pollsters are for the European elections, and the referendum.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

That is like winning an award for being the Bee Gee with the deepest voice.

• Options

Id suggest anything of 35 and above makes a Tory majority impossible, maybe 34 is enough to stop it.
    Solidity is your foe or friend from here on in.
    Tories looking for 38 or 39
    UKIP need 10 plus to maybe squeak a couple of seats
    Lib Dems will be OK with 15 or above on the day

So SAYETH The Lord
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

If national polls are replicated, Labour would win this seat. The Liberal position in Scotland is worse than in the uK as a whole.

However, the Tories will switch to help out "their" MP. If he loses, he will move South to a home county Tory seat.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    There is a sting in the tail of this budget. Up until now pension account money could not be directly accessed, only used to buy an annuity. Now once you are over 55 you will be able to access it like a savings account and only pay income tax at your marginal rate on what you withdraw. So it is now accessible capital once you reach 55.

This may well mean anyone over 55 in a low paid job, currently receiving housing or council tax benefit, or anyone over 55 who loses their job, will no longer get a penny in benefits if they have a pension pot worth more than £16,000, as they will have more than £16,000 in capital which disqualifies them from benefits.

Odd that Ed Balls has not thought to mention this yet. Perhaps it has not occured to Labour yet?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

You missed out "or study PPE at Oxbridge"
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Freggles said:

CON 282
    LAB 310
    LIB 31

If you add in some small anti-Con tactical voting you get to LAB 9 short. I agree that LAB most seats in a hung parliament is the most likely outcome (as I have said for a long time)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

Delusion on a monumental scale.
  • Options
    Danny should hold Inverness for one simple reason, he works his constituency extremely hard and is very popular. He is also the most vocal opponent of the SNP's ludicrous policy of putting average speed cameras on the A9 for the next 15 years.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Up four.

Knock on the door.

You should have written Gideon's free kick hit the........cross bar !

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Which would appear to support the hollowing out of the liberal/kipper vote shown by survation in favour of the establishment

Welcome back! We've missed the authentic voice of the Norfolk Broads
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    [Eric Joyce MP] asked airport baggage handlers for help and became abusive when they asked for flight details. Police officers became involved, but he continued to hurl insults.

Joyce repeatedly called a baggage handler and officers “fat, f****** w******” and goaded officers to “f****** arrest me”.

He also referred to an officer of Afro-Caribbean origin as “f****** fat and black”.

Makes our very own malcolmg sound like an officer an gentleman.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

If national polls are replicated, Labour would win this seat. The Liberal position in Scotland is worse than in the uK as a whole.

However, the Tories will switch to help out "their" MP. If he loses, he will move South to a home county Tory seat.
    Don't overestimate how many Scottish Tories would be willing to vote tactically for their Lib Dem allies. In Scotland, especially in the Highlands, the Lib Dems are pretty red in tooth and claw. Remember, the SLDs were in coalition with SLab from 1999-2007, and Scottish Tory voters have long memories.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

surbiton said:

Freggles said:

CON 282
    LAB 310
    LIB 31

If you add in some small anti-Con tactical voting you get to LAB 9 short. I agree that LAB most seats in a hung parliament is the most likely outcome (as I have said for a long time)
    Sorry ! I meant if the GE happened in the next month. My projection for May 2015 has not changed.

Labour 300, Tories 280, LD 35
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @dyedwoolie,welcome back,you still wanting a labour GE win ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Freggles said:

CON 282
    LAB 310
    LIB 31

On those numbers Labour is likely to do worse because so many of the seats they need to take back will have Tories probably benefiting from 1st time incumbency. Interesting that at 36 Tory/32 Lab, the Tories on UNS would be able to govern with the support of the UUP/DUP and absence of SF.

I heard the remarks reported to have come from Eric Joyce yesterday. Would be priceless if he announced his resignation and forcing a by-election on last day of SLAB conference.
  • Options
    The huge shame about Eric Joyce is that he has lots of very thoughtful observations to make and comes across as far more interesting than the average MP. He could have helped restore confidence in politicians. But his demons have consumed him.
  • Options

surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

Don't overestimate how many Scottish Tories would be willing to vote tactically for their Lib Dem allies. In Scotland, especially in the Highlands, the Lib Dems are pretty red in tooth and claw. Remember, the SLDs were in coalition with SLab from 1999-2007, and Scottish Tory voters have long memories.
    Yes, but I don't think they would let Labour win by default. Remember, Labour has won this seat in recent times though not exactly this seat with current boundary.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Welcome back! We've missed the authentic voice of the Norfolk Broads

Thanks! I'm now going down to my bar to make sure it's in one piece, will check in later
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,271

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

Or one for being the not-dead Bee Gee.

• Options

@dyedwoolie,welcome back,you still wanting a labour GE win ?

No, that temporary spasm has passed. I'm voting Tory as least worst option whilst holding my nose and waiting for popular revolution
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited March 2014
    There are some desperate-sounding posts this evening from Labour supporters. Barring some major external catastrophe it's pretty obvious which way this one is going. Anecdotally I chatted to someone today who fits Mike's description of a firmer Cons. She said before the budget she wash't sure but 'they seem to be doing well and fixing the economy.' Over a year to go and every economic piece falling into place with a growing economy and another storming budget this time next year? Come on folks, be real: this narrative is an unstoppable force.

I think there are more interesting questions, such as whether the Tories will get to 40% this year, and then the size of their 2015 majority. Will they get over 20 seats ahead so that Cameron can relax?

Otherwise I'd say an outright Conservative victory next year is now odds-on.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Hung parliament nailed on.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

An even better simile.

Being "the best and sanest LD by some margin" is hardly an accolade. And that is leaving aside the fact that it is self-evidently untrue.
  • Options

There are some desperate-sounding posts this evening from Labour supporters. Barring some major external catastrophe it's pretty obvious which way this one is going. Anecdotally chatted to someone today who fits Mike's description of a firmer Cons. She said before the budget she wash't sure but 'they seem to be doing well and fixing the economy.' Over a year to go and every economic piece falling into place with a growing economy and another storming budget this time next year? Come on folks be real: this narrative is a unstoppable force.

I think there are more interesting questions, such as whether the Tories will get to 40% this year, and then the size of their 2015 majority. Will they get over 20 seats ahead so that Cameron can relax?

Otherwise I'd say an outright Conservative victory next year is now odds-on.

Yes, so desperate that we are forming the next government !
  • Options

TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

An even better simile.

Being "the best and sanest LD by some margin" is hardly an accolade. And that is leaving aside the fact that it is self-evidently untrue.
    Hancock ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    surbiton said:

Freggles said:

surbiton said:

Freggles said:

CON 282
    LAB 310
    LIB 31

Sorry ! I meant if the GE happened in the next month. My projection for May 2015 has not changed.

I'd swap the Labour and Conservative seat numbers, for my prediction.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

Many of the recent Scottish sub samples so beloved of Mr Dickson show the Lib Dems now doing better in Scotland than in England ,. Certainly there has been an uplift in LD support in Scotland in 2014 .
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The huge shame about Eric Joyce is that he has lots of very thoughtful observations to make and comes across as far more interesting than the average MP. He could have helped restore confidence in politicians. But his demons have consumed him.

Just as yours have consumed you.

Once upon a time you could have helped restore confidence in PB.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Show me the crossover.....show me the crossover!

Better polls will be released for Labour later ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, that's a rather unkind post.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

How can he be ? He is a Tory !
  • Options

Dan Hodges @DPJHodges

@TimMontgomerie To be fair, most Labour MPs are tearing their hair out. The complacency isn't in the ranks.

• Options
    SeanT said:

"Torybingo will alter the political narrative like the Liam Byrne letter."

Cretins.

Who said that?

Who is a cretin?
  • Options

Id suggest anything of 35 and above makes a Tory majority impossible, maybe 34 is enough to stop it.

So SAYETH The Lord
    I can't see any scenario in which the Conservatives win a majority. I think 37% is as good as it gets, which can make them comfortably the largest party, but short of a majority.

I think the 1990-97 period did lasting damage to the Conservative Party.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    Comrades!
    Comrades!

We should remember that this poll must be an outlier! It simply must be!

:)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

The key to success in life is to have rich parents
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409

There are some desperate-sounding posts this evening from Labour supporters. Barring some major external catastrophe it's pretty obvious which way this one is going.

If you mean my post pointing out that Gideons pension reform may well mean the majority of over 55s being disbarred from state benefits I'm not a Labour supporter I'm a former tory supporter whos going to vote UKIP (as evidenced by previous posts)

I may be centre right with a lot of time for the "Tebbit right" but I find this government repulsive and uncaring about those who are not rich. As well as potentially disbarring over 55s from benefits Gideons idiotic new pension policy will condemn millions to an impoverished old age as now they have access to this capital they will inevitably suffer emotional pressure and blackmail to use it for their childrens tuition fees, first car to get them to work, weddings or their elderly persions care home fees (a lot of which will also attract VAT and therefore extra revenue for Gideon).

A caring centre right government would not have destroyed annuities through Weimar style money printing and would have properly regulated the annuity providers to stop them taking the P. This lot have just shafted the lower middle and upper working classes - again and will pay in 2015.
  • Options

surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

Danny Alexander.

First on merit.

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

Stuart is correct, we Scots Tories see the LibDems as cuckoos in around 8-10 of our seats and we want them back. In Caithness, Sutherland & ER we were delighted when Robbie Rowantree the LibDem got humped by Rob Gibson of the SNP in 2011 because the traitor had been Tory Chairman in the constituency, then stood as Tory candidate in Inverness before jumping ship just as Jamie Stone had done 30 years earlier to get elected as a LibDem on the council. Our joy was complete when having failed to hold the Holyrood seat, he also failed to get re-elected to Highland Council.

Danny might be an exception. There is a history in Inverness of Tories voting Liberal to keep the Liberal MP in. "We" did it for 30 years to keep Russell Johnston in post. I cant see (m)any Tories voting LibDem at the GE in Aberdeenshire, Argyll, NE Fife, Edinburgh or the Borders. The Euro elections will be very interesting in Scotland to see the split between Tories and LibDems.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

So SAYETH The Lord
    I can't see any scenario in which the Conservatives win a majority. I think 37% is as good as it gets, which can make them comfortably the largest party, but short of a majority.

I think the 1990-97 period did lasting damage to the Conservative Party.

I would say 1979 - 90 also did lasting damage poll tax = Scotland,miners strike = Northern England and inner city riots = Ethnic minorities.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Freggles said:

surbiton said:

Freggles said:

CON 282
    LAB 310
    LIB 31

I'd swap the Labour and Conservative seat numbers, for my prediction.
    To get that, you'd need

C 34.5
    Lab 30
    LD 14

So, you think Labour will improve by 1 point only ?

I think peopel do not realise how inefficient the Tory vote distribution is. I can tell you, in addition to Scotland and the North, you can now add whole areas of Yorkshire where the Tories will pile up votes with hardly any seats. They will also pile up votes in the home counties.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Joyce is the Joey Barton of politics, an interesting, thoughtful and talented person, let down by character flaws.

It would be an interesting by-election. Especially if he stands as an independent.
    antifrank said:

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

There are some desperate-sounding posts this evening from Labour supporters. Barring some major external catastrophe it's pretty obvious which way this one is going.

If you mean my post pointing out that Gideons pension reform may well mean the majority of over 55s being disbarred from state benefits I'm not a Labour supporter I'm a former tory supporter whos going to vote UKIP (as evidenced by previous posts)

I may be centre right with a lot of time for the "Tebbit right" but I find this government repulsive and uncaring about those who are not rich. As well as potentially disbarring over 55s from benefits Gideons idiotic new pension policy will condemn millions to an impoverished old age as now they have access to this capital they will inevitably suffer emotional pressure and blackmail to use it for their childrens tuition fees, first car to get them to work, weddings or their elderly persions care home fees (a lot of which will also attract VAT and therefore extra revenue for Gideon).

A caring centre right government would not have destroyed annuities through Weimar style money printing and would have properly regulated the annuity providers to stop them taking the P. This lot have just shafted the lower middle and upper working classes - again and will pay in 2015.
    Tuition fees? You mean the things that people don't have to pay upfront anymore?

Sorry but it is hard to take someone serious who can't get the basics right. It is almost as if you are here just to stir...
  • Options
    Some arithmetic defying predictions on here tonight - 50 seats swinging to Labour in the rush to welcome in Ed with his current polling.

Optimistic.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Freggles said:

SeanT said:

Cretins.

Who said that?

Who is a cretin?
    Erm, it was a thread leader and I thought at the time it was very silly but decided to keep my counsel.

Really it is quite amazing how few on pb pay any attention to political history. Governments usually dip mid-term and with a fixed term there has been none of the usual Election fever to get the public worked up into firming their vote. The fact that the Cons and Lab could be almost neck and neck now with the opposition in the mid-30's, an incredibly powerful economic narrative and another storming budget this time next year means this one is heading Conservative.

Oh and hung parliaments usually occur with a strong third party vote. There won't be.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

SeanT said:

Cretins.

Who said that?

Who is a cretin?
    Just out of interest the word cretin comes from mountain cretinism cos people up the alps got it - iodine deficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretinism

"Endemic cretinism was especially common in areas of southern Europe around the Alps and was described by ancient Roman writers, and often depicted by medieval artists. The earliest Alpine mountain climbers sometimes came upon whole villages of cretins.[11] Alpine cretinism was described from a medical perspective by several travellers and physicians in the late 18th and early 19th centuries"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    STimes YouGov poll show Lab and Con equal!

[Sky News source]

Do we have the details in their full glory?

I see Basil is lying on the road shamming death.
  • Options
    Sky: ST poll to show parties "neck and neck"...
  • Options

Tuition fees? You mean the things that people don't have to pay upfront anymore?

Sorry but it is hard to take someone serious who can't get the basics right. It is almost as if you are here just to stir...
    He was not talking about Tuition fees. He was talking about pensions and annuities.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    AveryLP said:

STimes poll show Lab and Con equal!

Actually 1pt Labour lead but Arf. Defrag the compouter.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited March 2014
    Looks like crossover time approaches; for a time at least. ;)
  • Options

Stuart is correct, we Scots Tories see the LibDems as cuckoos in around 8-10 of our seats and we want them back. In Caithness, Sutherland & ER we were delighted when Robbie Rowantree the LibDem got humped by Rob Gibson of the SNP in 2011 because the traitor had been Tory Chairman in the constituency, then stood as Tory candidate in Inverness before jumping ship just as Jamie Stone had done 30 years earlier to get elected as a LibDem on the council. Our joy was complete when having failed to hold the Holyrood seat, he also failed to get re-elected to Highland Council.

Danny might be an exception. There is a history in Inverness of Tories voting Liberal to keep the Liberal MP in. "We" did it for 30 years to keep Russell Johnston in post. I cant see (m)any Tories voting LibDem at the GE in Aberdeenshire, Argyll, NE Fife, Edinburgh or the Borders. The Euro elections will be very interesting in Scotland to see the split between Tories and LibDems.

You're expecting Yes to win the referendum, though, in which case this becomes academic.
  • Options

If you mean my post pointing out
    No I'm afraid I didn't read it.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges and Tim Montgomerie both saying YouGov has a 1% Lab lead. Wonder what the numbers will be?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

STimes YouGov poll show Lab and Con equal!

[Sky News source]

Do we have the details in their full glory?

I see Basil is lying on the road shamming death.

Equal......really!

I think you had go and check the figures old bean.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Freggles said:

SeanT said:

Cretins.

Who said that?

Who is a cretin?
    Just out of interest the word cretin comes from mountain cretinism cos people up the alps got it - iodine deficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretinism

"Endemic cretinism was especially common in areas of southern Europe around the Alps and was described by ancient Roman writers, and often depicted by medieval artists. The earliest Alpine mountain climbers sometimes came upon whole villages of cretins.[11] Alpine cretinism was described from a medical perspective by several travellers and physicians in the late 18th and early 19th centuries"

There is a bit of an iodine theme going on here isn't there?

Freggles said:

SeanT said:

Cretins.

Who said that?

Who is a cretin?
    Erm, it was a thread leader and I thought at the time it was very silly but decided to keep my counsel.

Really it is quite amazing how few on pb pay any attention to political history. Governments usually dip mid-term and with a fixed term there has been none of the usual Election fever to get the public worked up into firming their vote. The fact that the Cons and Lab could be almost neck and neck now with the opposition in the mid-30's, an incredibly powerful economic narrative and another storming budget this time next year means this one is heading Conservative.

Oh and hung parliaments usually occur with a strong third party vote. There won't be.

Erm, the thread header said it "could" change the political narrative, which is a lot different to "will".

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think there are a few flaws in your argument. We do not know that pension pots would be counted as savings. The majority of over 55's do not have private pension pots.

And Labour needs to get its story straight. Is the problem with the budget that 55+ year olds will be ineligible for benefits? or after blowing the lot on beer and bingo that they will be dependent on benefits?

"If you do not trust yourself with your own money, vote Labour" is not a winning slogan.

• Options
    "SKY NEWS HAVE TORY LABOUR NECK AND NECK"

"SKY NEWS HAVE TORY LABOUR EQUAL"

Commonly known as PB Hodge premature polling ejaculation.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Some arithmetic defying predictions on here tonight - 50 seats swinging to Labour in the rush to welcome in Ed with his current polling.

Optimistic.

Stick your neck out then, are you a Con Maj Nailed On Redux poster?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Freggles said:

SeanT said:

Cretins.

Who said that?

Who is a cretin?

Having already had a number of wagers on just such an outcome in 2015 with tim from a couple of years ago, I am more convinced than ever that this will indeed be the case.
  • Options
    Front of sunday times -Tories neck and neck with labour-knives come out for miliband
  • Options
    Freggles said:

TGOHF said:

Optimistic.

Stick your neck out then, are you a Con Maj Nailed On Redux poster?
    Posted many times that I think very few seats will change hands. Con most seats and 5 more years of Dave and Nick.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

There is a bit of an iodine theme going on here isn't there?

Yes, working on my Wikipaedia PhD.

• Options

antifrank said:

Just as yours have consumed you.

Once upon a time you could have helped restore confidence in PB.
    1) pb doesn't need me to restore confidence in it.

2) I haven't any interest in doing anything other than working out my views on here. If that upsets some, well I suggest they grow a thicker skin.
  • Options
    In terms of the three big things the LibLabCon collude on: immigration, EU and banksters (structure not bonuses), I wonder which one Lab could use to try and crawl out of the hole.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Holy goalpost, Batman!
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    March 2009, Tories have 13point lead

March 2014 neck and neck

Interesting
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    o/t - but it is possible (as it was under the previous comment system) to filter whose posts you can see on a thread? I am no longer a regular visitor due to the increasing shrillness of a number of the current posters - but if I could filter things then I might be more willing to read the rest of the more insightful contributions.
  • Options

"SKY NEWS HAVE TORY LABOUR NECK AND NECK"

"SKY NEWS HAVE TORY LABOUR EQUAL"

Commonly known as PB Hodge premature polling ejaculation.

Computer dear chap, did you compose the humour sections in Ed Bland's LOTO reply on Wednesday?
  • Options
    woody662 said:

March 2009, Tories have 13point lead

March 2014 neck and neck

Interesting

Tories to win by 5 points in 2015?
This discussion has been closed.