Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A timely reminder from Populus of how little most people fo

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

BBC Scotland - Nicola Sturgeon: Return on Prestwick 'could take years'

"Prestwick, which was sold for £1 to the Scottish government on 22 November last year, had a pre-tax loss of £9.77m in the final full year of its ownership by Infratil.

It was a sharp worsening of its financial position, after a £2.3m pre-tax loss in the year to March 2012.

Ms Sturgeon told Holyrood's Infrastructure Committee it was possible to get a return on the taxpayers' money and find a private sector buyer, but added MSPs should keep an open mind on possible alternatives.

She said: "Cardiff Airport is owned by the Welsh government so we shouldn't close our minds to anything around the future potential model that you might want for an airport."

Money well spent, Tories would have had it shut down and forced us to take buses to London to get a flight if they could manage it.
    I think the decision was down to your fellow Scots. Blame them if it shut.

Are the SNP planning on basing one of Eck's taxpayer funded jets there, in the unlikely event of a 'Yes'?

He'll need to travel to all those golf junkets in the style to which he's become accustomed.

Rather more to the point, if the purchase includes the land, then I'd think it an extremely sensible long-term strategic investment - on a railway line, fog free (which is why it was put there in the first place thanks to a quirk of local weather), a (pre-privatisation?) RAF rescue helicopter base, and so on.
    I note that you've deleted the 'you really do need to stop personalising everything in such a tedious way.' from your original response.

Understandable of course when your fellow travellers on the Nat Bus find it impossible to pass comment on Unionists without stating that 'X is in the pocket of Y', or 'Z is a stooge', not to mention the continual bastardisation of other politicians names.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,248
    fitalass said:

MalcolmG, Carlotta does not blind hatred of Scotland, and no, she is not delighted when anything remotely detrimental to Scotland is mentioned. But you on the other hand, appear

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

fitalass said:
    And concerning news on life expectancy in Scotland:

WOMEN living in Scotland die an average 2.14 years earlier than those living in England, new figures show.

And statistics from 2010-12 show the life-expectancy gap has widened, rather than narrowed, in recent years.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/scottish-women-dying-sooner-than-english-1-3350099

What Scotland needs is control of Health!

Oh, hang on........
    SNIP
    Carnyx, you have to look at it from Carlotta's blind hatred of Scotland. She is delighted when anything remotely detrimental to Scotland is mentioned.
    The truth should not hurt, I call a spade a spade and a liar a liar. If your grand theory was correct then I would have expected even Carlotta to have posted one positive comment about Scotland ever. Since she has not it is plainly obvious she hates Scotland blindly and always gloats at any misfortune or bad news.
    You at least have some decent things to say about Scotland and can just about be forgiven for being a Tory , even if the only one in the village.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420
    fitalass said:

Its just means I want to be aware of all the facts before I make such an important decision that will effect my future in Scotland.

Golly, I had you down as a definite No. Fair play to you for having an open mind.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'"The couple had previously stated to the media that Kinnock would spend his weekends in Denmark, sometimes including Thursday, and that he regarded his home and base as being exclusively with his family in Copenhagen."

Sounds like he'll be a great MP when he's not in Copenhagen & London.

Has anyone told him about constituency surgeries?

Given how much time Blair spent in Sedgefield and EdM spends in Doncaster North Kinnock Jnr will be only doing what the party leadership usually does.

I wonder though if he'll be claiming second home allowance for the Copenhagen mansion and the weekly first class travel to it.

Remember Labour have no objection to people getting 'filthy stinking rich'.

Especially when its Labour political clans getting 'filthy, stinking rich'.
    I thought Kinnock was normally based in Switzerland, only weekending in Denmark?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    David Evershed Not necessarily, while GDP per capita in many developing countries will rise by 2050 faster than the West, particularly in East Asia, in the UK it will have also risen and still be further ahead.
    Rising prosperity is not necessarily a zero sum game.
    http://soberlook.com/2012/11/goldmans-gdp-projection-for-2050.html
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

You mean like folk that live in Dundee, Aberdeen or Inverness who either hop on a bus or train, or even take the car down to Edinburgh or Glasgow to catch a flight to some holiday destination? Oddly enough, never seem to hear of anyone heading to Prestwick instead as its simple not in the right place to be convenient!

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

"Prestwick, which was sold for £1 to the Scottish government on 22 November last year, had a pre-tax loss of £9.77m in the final full year of its ownership by Infratil.

It was a sharp worsening of its financial position, after a £2.3m pre-tax loss in the year to March 2012.

Ms Sturgeon told Holyrood's Infrastructure Committee it was possible to get a return on the taxpayers' money and find a private sector buyer, but added MSPs should keep an open mind on possible alternatives.

She said: "Cardiff Airport is owned by the Welsh government so we shouldn't close our minds to anything around the future potential model that you might want for an airport."

Money well spent, Tories would have had it shut down and forced us to take buses to London to get a flight if they could manage it.
    You drive past Aberdeen airport or Inverness airport I presume.
    Whereas if you close Prestwick then your next option is London?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    Yougov shows most EU nations now Eurosceptic and a plurality of French, Germans, Swedes and Brits all want a reduction in EU powers
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4041354.ece
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    edited March 2014
    malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

MalcolmG, Carlotta does not blind hatred of Scotland, and no, she is not delighted when anything remotely detrimental to Scotland is mentioned. But you on the other hand, appear

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

fitalass said:
    And concerning news on life expectancy in Scotland:

WOMEN living in Scotland die an average 2.14 years earlier than those living in England, new figures show.

And statistics from 2010-12 show the life-expectancy gap has widened, rather than narrowed, in recent years.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/scottish-women-dying-sooner-than-english-1-3350099

What Scotland needs is control of Health!

Oh, hang on........
    SNIP
    Carnyx, you have to look at it from Carlotta's blind hatred of Scotland. She is delighted when anything remotely detrimental to Scotland is mentioned.
    The truth should not hurt, I call a spade a spade and a liar a liar. If your grand theory was correct then I would have expected even Carlotta to have posted one positive comment about Scotland ever. Since she has not it is plainly obvious she hates Scotland blindly and always gloats at any misfortune or bad news.
    You at least have some decent things to say about Scotland and can just about be forgiven for being a Tory , even if the only one in the village.
    Yet again you conflate Scotland with the SNP or the Nationalist cause.

Yet again you demonstrate your own 'blind hatred' of any one who dares to question that cause.

You do not have a monopoly on pride in Scotland - you just hate Scots who do not share your vision, and regard repeated description of such as 'liar' as 'banter'.

Were I to be unkind, I might describe you as a knave, a fool and a poltroon....but then I am reminded of the old saw 'never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience....'

I am also minded that you may not have a dictionary to hand.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

You mean like folk that live in Dundee, Aberdeen or Inverness who either hop on a bus or train, or even take the car down to Edinburgh or Glasgow to catch a flight to some holiday destination? Oddly enough, never seem to hear of anyone heading to Prestwick instead as its simple not in the right place to be convenient!

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

Even Dundee has a tiny little airport.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Scotland and Wales are bleeped because of iodine deficiency. The UK as a whole is but it's worse in more mountainous areas because you get less in the ground water.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13034582

http://www.btf-thyroid.org/index.php/thyroid/research-news/uk-is-iodine-deficient

‘Young women of child-bearing age are the most susceptible to the adverse effects of iodine-deficiency and even mild deficiency may have an impact on the developing brain of foetuses and young children. It can also cause goitre. According to the World Health Organisation, iodine-deficient communities have IQs up to 13.5 points lower than similar but iodine-sufficient communities.

‘One cup of milk contains about half the amount of iodine needed per day. A possible explanation for our findings may be that teenage girls are drinking less milk and are less likely to have milk and cereal for breakfast. The solution could be to add iodine to the salt used in products such as bread as has been done in for example Denmark.’

You get iodine mostly from fish or dairy. Places like Japan and Shanghai get theirs from seafood. Places like Britain used to get it mostly from dairy but all these bleep health fads about natural foods have bleeped it all up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/10645090/Chinas-poorest-beat-our-best-pupils.html

A side effect of the move from natural fats is its been replaced with sugar and sugar syrups in everything. This is what's making people fat and diabetic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10677712/World-Health-Organisation-advises-halving-sugar-intake.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10668189/Low-fat-foods-stuffed-with-harmful-levels-of-sugar.html

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Labour cannot even add up I and 1 in their book it comes to a 156 billion deficit with not an idea of how to pay it back.
  • Options
    earlier post should have said health fads about "natural fats" not "natural foods"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Burma, India and Pakistan (East and West) became independent in 1948 under the Attlee government. That was the majority of the population of the Commonwealth.

Palestine also ceased to be British, and the Irish Free State and South Africa became republics. The Gold Coast started its path to independence the same year.

Not a bad record of decolonialism for one term.

FPT:

Theuniondivvie said:
    "I'm not sure why you're so keen to construct an equivalence between avowed imperialist Churchill, and Attlee who, however imperfectly, started the process of de-colonization"

Construct an equivalence? I don't think I have ever done such a thing in my life. I am not sure I would even know how to go about it, does one need special clothing. It sounds like something Mr. Eagles might be interested in.

I only replied to your earlier comment because I didn't, and still don't, think the facts support your expressed view that the Atlee administration was hot on de-colonisation.

• Options

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

28,000 passengers a year....

Meanwhile the SNP's great white hope Prestwick:

Passengers (million)

LHR: 72.3
    LGW: 35.4
    MAN: 20.7
    STN: 17.8
    EDI: 9.8
    LTN: 9.7
    BHX: 9.1
    GLA: 7.4
    BRS: 6.1
    NCL: 4.4
    EMA: 4.3
    LPL: 4.2
    BFS: 4.0
    ABZ: 3.4
    LCY: 3.4
    LBA: 3.3
    BHD: 2.7
    SOU: 1.7
    PIK: 1.1

Oh, and that 1.1 is down 53% vs 2008......the only other large airport with a similar fall is Cardiff......so, as many people use Edinburgh in 6 weeks, as Prestwick in a year......

• Options
    MrJones said:

Scotland and Wales are bleeped because of iodine deficiency. The UK as a whole is but it's worse in more mountainous areas because you get less in the ground water.

Interesting....I remember having 'Iodised' table salt as a child (we were probably using too much, but at least we were getting Iodine.....)

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I've been using my other half to see how normal he is for this "most noticed" polling. Usually he's pretty close to the norm for observation of stories of the week.

He's very interested in personal finances, however. He was able to reel off in detail most of these and quite a few more. If I drew any conclusion about this, it would be that some, but maybe only a few, people who don't normally tune into the news do so for the budget.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Burma, India and Pakistan (East and West) became independent in 1948 under the Attlee government. That was the majority of the population of the Commonwealth.

Palestine also ceased to be British, and the Irish Free State and South Africa became republics. The Gold Coast started its path to independence the same year.

Not a bad record of decolonialism for one term.

FPT:

Theuniondivvie said:
    "I'm not sure why you're so keen to construct an equivalence between avowed imperialist Churchill, and Attlee who, however imperfectly, started the process of de-colonization"

Construct an equivalence? I don't think I have ever done such a thing in my life. I am not sure I would even know how to go about it, does one need special clothing. It sounds like something Mr. Eagles might be interested in.

I only replied to your earlier comment because I didn't, and still don't, think the facts support your expressed view that the Atlee administration was hot on de-colonisation.

Doc, India (which includes modern day Pakistan and Bangladesh) was always going to become independent regardless of who was in power post-war - the shame was that no government including that of MacDonald had even given it Dominion status pre-war. That should really have happened immediately after WWI (there was a move to do it in 1916 but what with other things going on at the time it not surprisingly slipped down the worry list).

Burma, I don't know about without looking it up but Palestine was never a British colony. The Free State and South Africa becoming republics is irrelevant as they were already independent.

Really, claiming Atlee's administration had a good record of decolonialism is not easy to justify.

Perhaps its like those other myths like Labour got rid of grammar schools (more were abolished under a Conservative government), the Conservatives closed the mines (more were closed under Labour governments), manufacturing was destroyed by Thatcher (more was lost under Brown and Blair). Then we have the great lies, Thatcher cut spending on health ( nope the last person to actually cut the NHS budget was Healey) and Conservatives stand up for defence (nope, every Conservative administration since the war, except Heath's, has slashed defence spending).

What worries me is that on a site like this so many people seem to believe the myths. If the most politically aware people don't know or are prepared to ignore our recent history what chance have we ever got of being governed sensibly?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Ships bell from SMS Grosser Kurfust sold at auction. However, looks as if the GCSE failed intern did the write up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-26699179
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
  • Options
    A Hodges type quote from elsewhere "One Tory source told Breitbart London: "I wish the party would realise that this whole country is not f**king Harlow!""
  • Options
    Has the mos Survation poll been posted.... 1pt lead only...
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Britain in Europe - debate winner

Clegg 11/10 (Lad)
    Farage 11/8 (PP)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited March 2014
    @compouter2 After Jean Harlow had mispronounced Margot Asquith's Christian name as Margot (with a t). Mrs Asquith replied that the t was silent as in Harlow.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited March 2014
    @HurstLlama

Perhaps its like those other myths like Labour got rid of grammar schools (more were abolished under a Conservative government), the Conservatives closed the mines (more were closed under Labour governments), manufacturing was destroyed by Thatcher (more was lost under Brown and Blair). Then we have the great lies, Thatcher cut spending on health ( nope the last person to actually cut the NHS budget was Healey) and Conservatives stand up for defence (nope, every Conservative administration since the war, except Heath's, has slashed defence spending).

What worries me is that on a site like this so many people seem to believe the myths. If the most politically aware people don't know or are prepared to ignore our recent history what chance have we ever got of being governed sensibly?

A great post, Mr. Llama.

We had Bobafett on yesterday propagating Labour's current myth that Osborne hasn't met his 2010 borrowing targets. A lie still widely believed.

The only thing I would add is that we too often assume cuts always lead to reduced capabilities and increases in spend to improved delivery. Both fallacies apply, especially to defence and health spending. Spend however is much easier to measure than output capability and effectiveness.

So I will give just one example. This week the Treasury laid a budget before Parliament which, in the findings of YouGov, [t[he British public [saw] as the fairest since 2010 – and nine of its policies are supported by a majority.

Perhaps what we should be celebrating is not the popularity of the budget's fiscal measures but the fact that the Exchequer managed to deliver it having had its departmental resources cut by over 33% since the coalition government came into office.

Capable, effective, value for money and popular. Now that is what's worth voting for.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    New Ladbrokes market - Argyll & Bute (LD maj over Con = 3,431)

SNP 7/4
    Lab 2/1
    LD 5/2
    Con 7/1
    UKIP 100/1

Note: the SNP were in 4th place in 2010, on 18.9%.
  • Options
    Forced into it or not, it was Attlee's government that implemented Indian and Pakistani independence. Palestine was a British protectorate in 1948, split that year into Israel and Jordan as independent countries. The Gold Coast was given the first elected government in Sub Saharan Africa, north of the Cape. The Central African federation negotiations started under Attlee with the intention of forming a new Dominion in Africa.

This is all significant as previous independence was only for white Dominions. Churchill was opposed to Indian Independence, indeed this was the issue that put him in the wilderness in the thirties.

It may not have been as speedy as the independence movements of the fifties and sixties but it was a start.

FPT:

Theuniondivvie said:
    "I'm not sure why you're so keen to construct an equivalence between avowed imperialist Churchill, .

Doc, India (which includes modern day Pakistan and Bangladesh) was always going to become independent regardless of who was in power post-war - the shame was that no government including that of MacDonald had even given it Dominion status pre-war. That should really have happened immediately after WWI (there was a move to do it in 1916 but what with other things going on at the time it not surprisingly slipped down the worry list).

Burma, I don't know about without looking it up but Palestine was never a British colony. The Free State and South Africa becoming republics is irrelevant as they were already independent.

Really, claiming Atlee's administration had a good record of decolonialism is not easy to justify.

• Options

MrJones said:

Interesting....I remember having 'Iodised' table salt as a child (we were probably using too much, but at least we were getting Iodine.....)

Yeah a lot of countries have added iodine to salt since the 60s. I assume Britain didn't because people used to get so much dairy in their diet.
  • Options
    New Ladbrokes market - Edinburgh West (LD maj = 3,803)

Lab 4/5
    LD 5/4
    SNP 16/1
    Con 16/1
    UKIP 100/1
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    A pint of Golden Champion, The Times weekend section and dinner with the family on the way. Pasta with a bottle of something red from Sicily. I'll be asleep in front of the telly by 10.00 pm. This is what it's like when you're just about 50. It's all rather pleasant actually.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

I hear the rumble of a million squirrels....
  • Options
    RobD said:

If true, I know there would be one happy squirrel.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    At this point in 2009, ICM gave the Tories a 13pt lead on 44%. Will be interesting to compare this evening
  • Options
    woody662 said:

At this point in 2009, ICM gave the Tories a 13pt lead on 44%. Will be interesting to compare this evening

Is there an ICM tonight?

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Great white elephant more is a better description. Prestwick is simple not in the right place, and the SNP are going to struggle to ever make it a viable going concern they can then flog. You now have good UK wide domestic links from airports in Aberdeen, Inverness, and even Dundee, and you can easily get to Edinburgh or Glasgow by bus, train or car for a range of popular holiday destinations. Why on earth would you try to get to Prestwick from Aberdeen when it is quicker to fly to London from there or travel to say Edinburgh?

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

malcolmg said:

fitalass said:

28,000 passengers a year....

Meanwhile the SNP's great white hope Prestwick:

Passengers (million)

LHR: 72.3
    LGW: 35.4
    MAN: 20.7
    STN: 17.8
    EDI: 9.8
    LTN: 9.7
    BHX: 9.1
    GLA: 7.4
    BRS: 6.1
    NCL: 4.4
    EMA: 4.3
    LPL: 4.2
    BFS: 4.0
    ABZ: 3.4
    LCY: 3.4
    LBA: 3.3
    BHD: 2.7
    SOU: 1.7
    PIK: 1.1

Oh, and that 1.1 is down 53% vs 2008......the only other large airport with a similar fall is Cardiff......so, as many people use Edinburgh in 6 weeks, as Prestwick in a year......

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264

A pint of Golden Champion, The Times weekend section and dinner with the family on the way. Pasta with a bottle of something red from Sicily. I'll be asleep in front of the telly by 10.00 pm. This is what it's like when you're just about 50. It's all rather pleasant actually.

You've got stamina. I'm nearly 41 and I'm already half asleep. How come I can walk twenty miles and feel fine, yet five hours of shopping nearly kills me (even as it lightens the load on my wallet)?

Oh, and I've been meaning to say: thanks for your recommendation of "The Old Ways". I quite enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Was on a James tapsfield tweet, is he reliable and now David skelton too,
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Mos con 34 lab 35 ld 9! Ukip 15
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    RED ON RED INCOMING

'Allan Grogan to Speak at Scottish Labour Conference. Labour for Independence are delighted to announce that Allan Grogan has received an invitation to ...

'www.labourforindy.com/‎
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Mail on Sunday Lab 35,Con 34.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

You've got stamina. I'm nearly 41 and I'm already half asleep. How come I can walk twenty miles and feel fine, yet five hours of shopping nearly kills me (even as it lightens the load on my wallet)?

Oh, and I've been meaning to say: thanks for your recommendation of "The Old Ways". I quite enjoyed it.

It's a book I keep thinking about. Glad you read it. I'm sleepy now. Dinner time.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Johann Lamont appeared on BBC Scottish Newsnight last week in quite an in-depth interview.

Labour strategists must be holding their heads in their hands over the hopeless Johann Lamont. It really is quite painful watching her antics. No wonder her minders have been keeping her away from the media since she was elected (ahem) "leader".

• Options
    Labour lead down to 1% in wake of Budget, acc to MoS/Survation poll. Lab 35%(+1 from Jan),Tories 34%(+4), Ukip 15%(-3) Lib Dems 9% (-3)

Lib Dems and UKIP both taking a funneling???? Can't see why though.
  • Options

RobD said:

Poor Basil.

It is like the winter retreat from Moscow.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

GIN1138 said:

Are we expecting any "Post Budget" polls tonight?

I'm expecting something but have no hard information. It might be we'll just have YouGov

No mention here yet of the Survation poll being reported on Twitter?
    ichard Willis @CllrRWillis
    New Post-Budget Survation poll: Lab 35%(+1), Cons 34%(+4), UKIP 15%(-3) LD 9% (-3)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RobD said:

Poor Basil.

It is like the winter retreat from Moscow.

Basil is buzzing...we may be rid of the polling crossover goalposts at last.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Lab majority of 4 on UNS...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited March 2014
    Pint and a game of bingo anybody? I hear all the Toffs are playing it these days.
  • Options
    A pint of Elsie Mo for me, to toast the Forest, everytime they lose there is a cheer in Leicester, even when it is to Derby.

No Bingo for me though, I shall leave that to the pensioners, and their votes.

Pint and a game of bingo anybody? I hear all the Toffs are playing it these days.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Good evening, everyone.

I wouldn't take the Survation too seriously unless similar results are repeated for other pollsters. Interesting it shows a decline in both UKIP and Lib Dem support.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

I wouldn't take the Survation too seriously unless similar results are repeated for other pollsters. Interesting it shows a decline in both UKIP and Lib Dem support.

We all know the only polls that get taken seriously on here are the ones that look the best for the Tory Party. Survation the new gold standard.....nailed on.
  • Options
    Shadsy remains to be convinced that there is a Scottish Tory surge. This is their No.1 target seat.

New Ladbrokes market - West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine (LD maj = 3,684)

LD 8/11
    Con 6/4
    SNP 8/1
    Lab 33/1
    UKIP 100/1
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Johann Lamont appeared on BBC Scottish Newsnight last week in quite an in-depth interview.

Labour strategists must be holding their heads in their hands over the hopeless Johann Lamont. It really is quite painful watching her antics. No wonder her minders have been keeping her away from the media since she was elected (ahem) "leader".

I know. I've seen it. It was a total car crash. A complete write-off.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    PB bingo - mid term lead of one ? Stick a fork in Ed, he's done...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited March 2014
    @Easterross

'No mention here yet of the Survation poll being reported on Twitter?
    ichard Willis @CllrRWillis
    New Post-Budget Survation poll: Lab 35%(+1), Cons 34%(+4), UKIP 15%(-3) LD 9% (-3)

Must be a mistake,we have been repeatedly told that the budget would make no difference,nobody can remember what was in it and in any case the bingo / beer cuts twitter was a going to be a game changer.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

We all know the only polls that get taken seriously on here are the ones that look the best for the Tory Party. Survation the new gold standard.....nailed on.
    You are being unfair to Survation, 'pouter.

Most pollsters find it difficult to calculate UKIP VI accurately.

In my view Kipper prospects are much more reliably assessed by actuaries.
  • Options
    It's only survation.... but helps narrative of the budget going well...need a few more polls tho to be sure
  • Options
    The Danny Alexander price shortens yet again in Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey (LD maj = 8,765)

LD 1/2 (from 4/6)
    Lab 7/2
    SNP 4/1
    Con 66/1

1/2 is just a daft price IMHO.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,420

Much of history is competing myths, believing a series of events would have happened anyway in some alternate reality is just another version of myth making. In the case of a post 1945 PM Churchill upholding Indian independence , there isn't much evidence to support it.

'India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the equator.'

'It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious Middle Temple lawyer of the type well-known in the East, now posing as a fakir, striding half naked up the steps of the Viceregal palace to parley on equal terms with the representative of the King-Emperor.'

'I did not become Prime Minister to preside over a dismemberment of the British Empire.'

1947 HoC
    'Let the House remember this. The Indian political parties and political classes do not represent the Indian masses. It is a delusion to believe that they do. I wish they did. They are not as representative of them as the movements in Britain represent the surges and impulses of the British nation. This has been proved in the war, and I can show the House how it was proved. The Congress Party declared non-co-operation with Great Britain and the Allies. The other great political party, to whom all main power is to be given, the Muslim League, sought to make a bargain about it, but no bargain was made. So both great political parties in India, the only forces that have been dealt with so far, stood aside. Nevertheless, the only great volunteer army in the world that fought on either side in that struggle was formed in India. More than three and a half million men came forward to support the King-Emperor and the cause of Britain; they came forward not by conscription or compulsion, but out of their loyalty to Britain and to all that Britain stood for in their lives. In handing over the Government of India to these so-called political classes we are handing over to men of straw, of whom, in a few years, no trace will remain.'
  • Options
    Unreal on the voice, they say whose been tweeting and say ed balls tweeted support for jermaine.....what pops up on twitter after that section? An ed Miliband tweet in support of jermaine!!!! Me too, me too, pls mention me...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2014

Unreal on the voice, they say whose been tweeting and say ed balls tweeted support for jermaine.....what pops up on twitter after that section? An ed Miliband tweet in support of jermaine!!!! Me too, me too, pls mention me...

I think BBC are wrong to read those out.

Overtly political to reinforce the connected to the people meme.
  • Options
    34? Osborne's at the door...
    TGOHF said:

PB bingo - mid term lead of one ? Stick a fork in Ed, he's done...

This discussion has been closed.