Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Despite things going suboptimally so far Labour still has the benefit of the doubt

1235»

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,288

Andy_JS said:

"The 16 telltale signs you’re more common than you think – according to an etiquette expert

After Lady Glenconner’s pronouncement that fish knives are for the unrefined, we asked William Hanson what else is par for the coarse

1. Tie clips
    2. Liquid soap
    3. Eating on the street
    4. Holding a knife like a pen
    5. Mounted televisions
    6. Applying make-up in public
    7. Gin and tonic
    8. Prosecco in lieu of champagne
    9. Eating on the Tube
    10. Personalised number plates
    11. Zoopla and Rightmove
    12. Hot tubs
    13. The Great British Bake Off
    14. Trainers (in particular, Adidas)
    15. Buying portraits
    16. Salted caramel"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/11/the-16-telltale-signs-you-are-more-common-than-you-think/

Why does anybody bother creating wank like this? In the good old days of Fleet Street, they would have refused to set the type...
    I thought U and non-U were from the 'good old days'.
    Wank isn't new.
  • ydoethur said:

Yes, Zoe Strimpel talking complete nonsense..who doesn't like a Sunday roast? 😋

Vegetarians.
    They don't like joy or food so don't count anyway.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,771
    Andy_JS said:

"The 16 telltale signs you’re more common than you think – according to an etiquette expert

After Lady Glenconner’s pronouncement that fish knives are for the unrefined, we asked William Hanson what else is par for the coarse

1. Tie clips
    2. Liquid soap
    3. Eating on the street
    5. Mounted televisions
    7. Gin and tonic
    9. Eating on the Tube
    11. Zoopla and Rightmove
    12. Hot tubs
    15. Buying portraits
    16. Salted caramel"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/11/the-16-telltale-signs-you-are-more-common-than-you-think/

De gustibus non est disputandum.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,732
    edited October 11

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Does Reeves know about this budget?
    Many PMs have disavowed (through 'leaks' to press)unpopular budget measures , essentially claiming it was nowt to do with them.

It's always a complete lie, so a PM owning a budget more would be progress.
    First Lord of the Treasury.

Who in this case knows nothing about economics.
    Has any Prime Minister, other than Harold Wilson, ever actually known anything about economics?

I know several others had PPE degrees but that's not quite the same thing.
    Gordon Brown, who I think has a PhD in Economics, as I remember it.
    His PhD was I think in the history of Labour politics. It definitely wasn't economics. That!s why he invented the story about his mother being a company director to try and bolster his economic credentials.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,766
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Many PMs have disavowed (through 'leaks' to press)unpopular budget measures , essentially claiming it was nowt to do with them.

Has any Prime Minister, other than Harold Wilson, ever actually known anything about economics?

Even more Rishi who has a 1st class degree in PPE focusing on Economics and actually practised it in the City with Goldman Sachs and a hedge fund not just writing research papers on Marxist economics.

Thatcher also read Hayek and had top monetarist economists on her team
    Brown has a PhD in history I believe. Something about history of Lab in scotland.

I see Rishi as a financial engineer rather than economics.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,272

Andy_JS said:

Couldn't disagree more with this.

"Zoe Strimpel
    Admit it, roast dinners are bad
    They depress both body and spirit"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/admit-it-roast-dinners-are-bad/

Clickbait. This poor woman doesn’t like food, cannot cook, and knows nothing about the immaculate pairing of good rib with great claret.

Sunday lunch when done properly lifts the tired last day of the weekend into a joy. Sundays, and Sunday lunch, are difficult to get right though.
    I think you must be right - she's just not very good at cooking.
    Because a bad roast dinner is a sad thing indeed. And that picture is depressing.
    I used to occasionally visit a family who always did Sunday lunch. And were terrible at it. The vegetables were tasteless, overdone and cold by the time the meat was ready. The meat was tough. The gravy was bisto. It was all very lamentable. And yet even amongst this sad travesty of food everyone had a very nice time.
    In fact it seems to be the case that the sadder the roast, the greater the enthusiasm for the concept among the participants. Just look ath the popularity of the concept of the pub carvery.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,378
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Zoe Strimpel

Clickbait. This poor woman doesn’t like food, cannot cook, and knows nothing about the immaculate pairing of good rib with great claret.

Sunday lunch when done properly lifts the tired last day of the weekend into a joy. Sundays, and Sunday lunch, are difficult to get right though.
    Because a bad roast dinner is a sad thing indeed. And that picture is depressing.
    I used to occasionally visit a family who always did Sunday lunch. And were terrible at it. The vegetables were tasteless, overdone and cold by the time the meat was ready. The meat was tough. The gravy was bisto. It was all very lamentable. And yet even amongst this sad travesty of food everyone had a very nice time.
    In fact it seems to be the case that the sadder the roast, the greater the enthusiasm for the concept among the participants. Just look ath the popularity of the concept of the pub carvery.
    There is a great gap in quality between the average Full English and the average Sunday Roast - in the home and eating out.

I would order a full english anywhere, but I always solicit recommendations for a place to have a roast. Partly the money as well, of course. Too depressing to spaff £15-£20 on a bad roast. £6.50 on a 7/10 breakfast isn't so bad.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,175
    darkage said:

algarkirk said:

The rather disturbing McCullough murders hearing ended today with a life sentence, minimum 36 years. The judge's remarks shed little light on the oddest feature: the defendant was the youngest of 5 daughters, and after she murdered her parents it was over 4 years before anyone noticed there were two missing from the ranks. The GP spotted something odd in the end. Funny old world.

Yep.... very odd.
    I don't agree with the sentence. It is another effective 'whole life' sentence (life with a minimum of 36 years). However she immediately confessed to the crimes, and pleaded guilty.
    The current sentencing regime for crimes like this panders to base popular instincts, and provides no incentive at all for anyone involved in those crimes to help the authorities with their inquiries.
    The judge brought it down to 40 years from a whole life starting point, without any massive reasons, and then knocked off 10% for the plea, making 36. Given where we are nationally about sentencing it's about right, and these sorts of cases - very rare in fact - are particularly difficult. The defendant is singularly unmeritorious.

The bigger concern, which I think Lord Timpson is going to start addressing, is that for the great mass of defendants sentencing is much too harsh (because of the Daily Mail tendency) and even worse, there is little real rehabilitation. And as they are all coming out to bother the poor old general public again this is urgent.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,250
    HIGNFY is worth catching if you missed it. Paul Merton was in excellent form tonight.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,732
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Even more Rishi who has a 1st class degree in PPE focusing on Economics and actually practised it in the City with Goldman Sachs and a hedge fund not just writing research papers on Marxist economics.

I have read Aristotle, that doesn't make me a philosopher.

Susan Acland-Hood has spent decades at the DfE when she wasn't mismanaging our flood defences or buggering up the legal system and still knows fuck all about education
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,771
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Zoe Strimpel

The sunday roast and classic cooked breakfast are Britain's great contribution to world cuisine, and bugger anyone who disagrees.

Both are restorative and based around the ritual - be that a post hangover fry up with your mates or a sunday lunch with relatives you'd otherwise not communicate with. They are comfort food, but as much about the tradition of coming together and breaking bread as they are about the food itself.

ydoethur said:

Vegetarians.
    They don't like joy or food so don't count anyway.
    A very silly comment.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Brown has a PhD in history I believe. Something about history of Lab in scotland.

Liz Truss did PPE, qualified as a management accountant and was economic director of C&W, whatever that means.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Truss
    The Al Fayed story grows more vile.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0kj2vkjn58o
  • The Telegraph were streaming Trump's latest rally and I caught the end of it. if nothing else, you can't fault him for his energy. Somewhat bizarre that at the end, it played YCMA and Trump did a little dance
  • algarkirk said:

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

The rather disturbing McCullough murders hearing ended today with a life sentence, minimum 36 years. The judge's remarks shed little light on the oddest feature: the defendant was the youngest of 5 daughters, and after she murdered her parents it was over 4 years before anyone noticed there were two missing from the ranks. The GP spotted something odd in the end. Funny old world.

Yep.... very odd.
    I don't agree with the sentence. It is another effective 'whole life' sentence (life with a minimum of 36 years). However she immediately confessed to the crimes, and pleaded guilty.
    The current sentencing regime for crimes like this panders to base popular instincts, and provides no incentive at all for anyone involved in those crimes to help the authorities with their inquiries.
    The judge brought it down to 40 years from a whole life starting point, without any massive reasons, and then knocked off 10% for the plea, making 36. Given where we are nationally about sentencing it's about right, and these sorts of cases - very rare in fact - are particularly difficult. The defendant is singularly unmeritorious.

The bigger concern, which I think Lord Timpson is going to start addressing, is that for the great mass of defendants sentencing is much too harsh (because of the Daily Mail tendency) and even worse, there is little real rehabilitation. And as they are all coming out to bother the poor old general public again this is urgent.
    The bigger problem is the great mass of recurring criminals who have a revolving door of getting released without any sentence at all if caught, not even facing a court for years if caught etc

For recurring criminals, prison works. Not because it rehabilitates people, but because a hardcore few people are behind a great proportion of crimes and getting them safely off the streets means those crimes aren't committed.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,634
    edited October 11
    Nigelb said:

It's shocking that most people didn't feel able to report anything while he was alive.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,852

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

He is indeed Dr Gordon Brown, but according to Wikipedia his PhD is in history, not economics.

The Telegraph were streaming Trump's latest rally and I caught the end of it. if nothing else, you can't fault him for his energy. Somewhat bizarre that at the end, it played YCMA and Trump did a little dance

Combining earlier posts, HIGNFY reminded us of Jack Smith's legal contention that Trump entering to YMCA on 6th January proved it was a campaign event and not a presidential one (which would have had Hail to the Chief) so that even by the SCOTUS ruling, Trump does not have immunity.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,500
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

1. Tie clips
    2. Liquid soap
    3. Eating on the street
    5. Mounted televisions
    7. Gin and tonic
    9. Eating on the Tube
    11. Zoopla and Rightmove
    12. Hot tubs
    15. Buying portraits
    16. Salted caramel"

De gustibus non est disputandum.
    I'm quite refined then. I only do number 13. And even there not as avidly now as in previous years.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,500

The Telegraph were streaming Trump's latest rally and I caught the end of it. if nothing else, you can't fault him for his energy. Somewhat bizarre that at the end, it played YCMA and Trump did a little dance

He's being doing that for ages. Dancing to YMCA. It's the absolute least of his negatives.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Liz Truss did PPE, qualified as a management accountant and was economic director of C&W, whatever that means.
    Seems there is v little E in the PPE.

Anyone who does this degree at Oxford should be banned from public office.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,298
    ydoethur said:

Vegetarians.
    I'm really an OK guy :)
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,852

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

One has to wonder whether - and when - such a talented woman will grace us again with her presence. Many have said that her time is now. And who in their right mind would contend that notion?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,804
    Andy_JS said:

1. Tie clips
    2. Liquid soap
    3. Eating on the street
    5. Mounted televisions
    7. Gin and tonic
    9. Eating on the Tube
    11. Zoopla and Rightmove
    12. Hot tubs
    15. Buying portraits
    16. Salted caramel"

I remember when the Telegraph was a reasonable newspaper. I didn’t realise it had been taken over by the Daily Star.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

His PhD was I think in the history of Labour politics. It definitely wasn't economics. That!s why he invented the story about his mother being a company director to try and bolster his economic credentials.
    I have never heard this story.
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

It's shocking that most people didn't feel able to report anything while he was alive.
    Lawyers.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,646
    HYUFD said:

In the long term, which country do you think is the biggest threat to global peace?

Russia: 43% (-5 from 1 Aug)
    China: 12% (-2)
    Israel: 11% (+4)
    United States: 8% (=)
    Iran: 8% (+3)
    North Korea: 4% (=)
    Some other country: 1% (=)
    https://x.com/YouGov/status/1844776439041634357

What is this "global peace" to which this question refers?

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

One has to wonder whether - and when - such a talented woman will grace us again with her presence. Many have said that her time is now. And who in their right mind would contend that notion?
    If she had combined her skills with those of Susan Acland-Hood, the results would have been wondrous to behold.
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Lawyers.
    Cambridge educated ones?
  • Andy_JS said:

1. Tie clips
    2. Liquid soap
    3. Eating on the street
    5. Mounted televisions
    7. Gin and tonic
    9. Eating on the Tube
    11. Zoopla and Rightmove
    12. Hot tubs
    15. Buying portraits
    16. Salted caramel"

I remember when the Telegraph was a reasonable newspaper. I didn’t realise it had been taken over by the Daily Star.
    Well, it hasn't really been a serious newspaper for about 15 years.
    It's essentially an upmarket Daily Mail, as the Guardian also becomes more tabloids and click-bait-ish, too.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,421
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

I have read Aristotle, that doesn't make me a philosopher.

Susan Acland-Hood has spent decades at the DfE when she wasn't mismanaging our flood defences or buggering up the legal system and still knows fuck all about education
    Rishi survived at Goldman Sachs for four years before joining a hedge fund. Comparing survival there with surviving at the DfE is like comparing survival in a shark tank to survival in a rabbit hutch
    edited October 11

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Lawyers.
    Cambridge educated ones?
    Who can say ?
    Anyone who knows is probably under an NDA. Or super injunction.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Historians and lawyers all the way then

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Her electors in Norfolk clearly failed to appreciate her greatness when they gave her the boot

HYUFD said:

In the long term, which country do you think is the biggest threat to global peace?

Russia: 43% (-5 from 1 Aug)
    China: 12% (-2)
    Israel: 11% (+4)
    United States: 8% (=)
    Iran: 8% (+3)
    North Korea: 4% (=)
    Some other country: 1% (=)
    https://x.com/YouGov/status/1844776439041634357

What is this "global peace" to which this question refers?
    “In the long term” - it’s an aspiration.
    Or the concept of a plan…
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,086
    algarkirk said:

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

Yep.... very odd.

Did the judge not take into consideration the fact that she is an orphan?
  • Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

I knew someone that worked in Harrods in the 'nineties.
    I remember him telling me a story all the way back then that struck me as very at odds with his public image.
    He told me that all the young school-leavers who had got jobs there lived in absolute terror of him, because he was known to very regularly sack people on the spot for having their tie very, very fractionally askew, or the slightest spot of dirt on their shoes. He would do regular bullying "tours" of the building, I distinctly remember him saying.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,369
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Trump is beyond a disgrace.

This is a flat out lie. We’re working with all partners around the clock to get help to people. Trump’s lies and conspiracy theories have hurt the morale of first responders and people who lost everything, helped scam artists and put government and rescue workers in danger. - RC
    https://x.com/NC_Governor/status/1844813387764830351

Lies are very dangerous things. And sadly US politics has become absolutely infected by them. The damage one man can do to the structure of democracy is staggering.
    Perhaps the Joe Biden team might have considered that before they pressured Facebook and Twitter to lie about the greatest health catastrophe in 100 years of human history
    You mean about the ineffectiveness of ivermectin?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,576
    edited October 11

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

I remember him telling me a story all the way back then that struck me as very at odds with his public image.
    He told me that all the young school-leavers who had got jobs there lived in absolute terror of him, because he was known to very regularly sack people on the spot for having their tie very, very fractionally askew, or the slightest spot of dirt on their shoes. He would do regular bullying "tours" of the building, I distinctly remember him saying.
    Ditto. I knew someone who worked in his stables and he told us stories about his behaviour towards women. I'm guessing late 90s. It is difficult to believe nobody blew the whistle.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

"his Budget"??

Historians and lawyers all the way then
    Or perhaps an engineer from Sussex Uni?

I'm not sure why we should hang onto Gibraltar when it's clearly a colonial possession, like Hong Kong was..🧐

The Gibraltans - like the Falkland Islanders - had referendums on remaining British.

The people of Hong Kong never did. So it's difficult to know exactly what they would have chosen, had they been given a choice.

Can anyone actually name any wrong decisions *yet* Labour have made other than WFA cut that 1) Sunak and Hunt *wouldn't have done* and 2) are unpopular with the public?
    Because early release of prisoners, handing over sovereignty over the Chagos Islands etc. would have happened under Sunak anyway and coming to terms with the unions is broadly supported.

£22 bn on carbon capture.
    1) Pretty crucial if we are serious about net zero (particularly industries who need natural gas and can't find an alternative)
    2) It's over 25 years
    3) Can't find much evidence of a public outcry outside the usual suspects (e.g partisan Tories, anti-woke grifters).
    Very poorly thought out, shows Labour in thrawl to big oil.

Jumped within weeks of getting power, when there should have been far more consideration of our energy policy for the next 25 years.

2/10
    In thrall to big oil? I thought Labour was killing the North Sea according to PB Tories. Make your mind up.
    How are glass production companies, for instance, going to decarbonise without CCUS by the way?
    I am not a PB Tory but yes Labour - or at least Miliband - are doing their very best to kill off the North Sea.

And the basic problem is CCS doesn't work. At least not with current or planned technology.
    The more you know about CCS, the more obviously stupid it is. (Unless you have an existing concrete plant right by a modern CCGT, when it *might* make economic sense.)
    Chemtrail conspiracy theorists have sometimes picketed the Met Office. Should they be considered potentially dangerous?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/oct/11/meteorologists-death-threats-hurricane-conspiracies-misinformation

It feels like the Enlightenment is dying, drowned under a tidal wave of bullshit. Which, apparently, Huxley was worried about.

“Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us, Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance.”
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,999
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Zoe Strimpel

Epicurius was very clear that the best and most important thing about a meal is the company that you eat it with. A bad meal in good company beats a good meal in poor company.
    One for @SeaShantyIrish2

Trump: and I will invoke the aliens enemy act of 1798. This was put there in 1798. That is a long time ago, right? To target and dismantle every migrant criminal network operating on American soil.
    https://x.com/Acyn/status/1844842554455621633

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,492
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

If there is hope for the UK it is in London

I’m walking through Camden Market. The youthful energy is insane. No other city - not even New York - matches it. Something unique in the air. Far more dynamic than any city in the EU

London PULSATES. What is being hatched here in this crazy mash of energetic people from all over?

It may yet save us

London doesn't have to do it alone.
    The growth in Manchester over the past ten years jas been remarkable. Manchester is, if anything*, a younger city than London. It's hard, in Manchester, to recognise the story of national decline. Granted there is a lot of grot - but good grief it's a different city to 20 years ago. Which in turn was a very different city to 20 years before that.

*figure pulled out of my arse but feels right.
    Birmingham is very similar; at one point recently it claimed to be the youngest city in Europe. It has everything and the potential is vast. Also housing is very cheap, you can buy a 1 bed flat in a nice area for £130k. People should quit London for Birmingham.
    Birmingham is probably the most dismal urban experience in the Western hemisphere.
    I grew up in suburban Birmingham. Pleasant enough. The city centre wants another few decades of regeneration, though. People started moving back into the city centre in the 1990s with developments like Brindley Place, but it rather stalled.

The £130k flats can be found even walking distance from HS2.
    Like all second tier British cities, it suffers from a fatal lack of local autonomy and therefore investment.

But even by British standards, it’s a bit shit.

Not sure what the urban version of “rizz” is, but Birmingham doesn’t have much of it. Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool are all better.
    I quite like Brum. It has never been fashionable with the intellectual elite. It's a gritty city where there's muck and brass, hence when someone wants to have a crass neauvou riche character to laugh at they make them a Brummy, as per Harry Enfield.

It's a great and dynamic city. The British city most like America in its contempt for intellectual pretension and its social mobility.

The city demolishes and re-dos its centre a few times each century and sometimes gets it right.

I was there last week for a research meeting. It's a great city for people who want to give two fingers to English snobs,
    I had a conference there last year. Hated it, to be honest. Couldn't quite put my finger on it for a couple of days, then realised that - in my part, from new street northwards - there were no trees, bushes, green spaces, just endless urban space. That was the issue, I think.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,587

Andy_JS said:

1. Tie clips
    2. Liquid soap
    3. Eating on the street
    5. Mounted televisions
    7. Gin and tonic
    9. Eating on the Tube
    11. Zoopla and Rightmove
    12. Hot tubs
    15. Buying portraits
    16. Salted caramel"

Well, it hasn't really been a serious newspaper for about 15 years.
    It's essentially an upmarket Daily Mail, as the Guardian also becomes more tabloids and click-bait-ish, too.
    An expensive Daily Mail. I would in no way give it 'upmarket'. It really is quite fruit-loop. Even their podcasts are almost incomprehensible and I'd imagine those are where 'the talent' has most freedom.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,666

felix said:

Forget the polls PB is such fun as the apologists led by chief moron Anabobazina are now begging posters to be nice. They should really be re-reading Animal Farm. Politics is a grubby business and as all good conservatives know the troughs tempt all the piggies with remarkable speed this time.

It's funny to see posters who acted all moral at pointing out failures by the Conservative Party and its MPs, who are suddenly blind to issues now Labour is in government. Especially whilst they still decry the Conservatives.

It sorta shows that it was not morality that drove their criticisms, but naked partisanship. (*)

Fortunately, not every posted suffers from this affliction.

(*) For some odd reason, I initially wrote that as parsnipship. Which opens up some intriguing possibilities. A ship made out of a parsnip? A ship carrying nothing but parsnips? The state of being a parsnip?
    Aren’t you the poster who gives a green-ish card to Johnson while continuing to castigate Keir for his curry?
    Was I giving a "green-ish card" to Johnson? I don't think so...

I was certainly the poster who was castigating Johnson back as far as his time as MoL, and stating that he would not be a good PM. I also stated well before the election that Starmer would probably be better than Sunak, but would have problems because he is not a salesman.

But currygate's interesting. One of my criticisms of Johnson was that he had a habit of not learning lessons: when he makes a mistake, he's either too stupid, too stubborn or too proud to avoid making similar mistakes in the future. Currygate was a mistake from the optics POV at least; and Starmer's making similar mistakes again. And again.
    I think Starmer fucked up the optics here badly.

But currygate really wasn’t interesting. It was a load of bollocks served up by alt-right journalists and the ever credulous BigG
    Were you here for RAFgate? That one was a proper zinger. I only learned of it the other day thanks to @TheScreamingEagles 's explanation. Wow. Just wow.
    Was that the same as torpedo gate?

On one level, you have to salute BigG’s indefatigabilty.

No wonder he was selected as special driver for Windsor Davies MP in 1948!
    No, Torpedogate was a veritable flesh wound compared with RAFgate... one speaks only of the latter in hushed tones. It is simply not suitable for a family forum.
    I always think it shows a weakness when a poster apologises for an error but then some still seem to delight in ignoring it

I corrected my mistake about taking down the ballistic missiles and replicated the Ministry of Defence statement tha RAF planes were involved in the action that night

Pity we are not all perfect but can correct our errors

In over 62,000 posts I have erred on occasions but try to convey accurate information often accompanied by quotes from Sky, Guardian, Independent and others
    This is a Conservative blog and you are quite rightly all piling into the Commies.

BigG. you have been like a terrier in calling out the most egregious corruption of the last decade. Currygate, Goonergate, Glassesgate, Victoria'ssecretgate, RAFgate, Angie'shousegate and Torpedogate, to name but a few.

Anabob you are not playing nicely on BigG's gates. "Go, walk out the door,...you're not welcome anymore". It's all going a bit Correct Horse Battery with everyone piling in on you, I thought Felix was particularly vicious.

@Anabobazina they have tumbled your game and you need a really flamboyant flounce to go out in style! My anti- PBTory flounce a fortnight ago was a bit shite so I can't offer up any advice
    I’ll survive! (What in the holy name of Aphrodite is Victoriassecretgate?)
    Are you still here?

Lady Victoria's pants purchased by Lord Alii. It caused grave concern amongst PB snowflakes.
    No wonder they kept repeating it all day… and all night.
    Must be dreadfully embarrassing for the poor woman. I wonder if her husband gets a regular earful about it.

Which would of course mean that nothing like it EVER happens again.

Hopefully, anyway!
    I just find it distasteful, and the criticism was directed to dresses she wore given to her by Alli
    Why were you not quite so outraged at Lady Bamford feeding Prime Minister Johnson and his family via multiple exclusive mail order grocery deliveries?
    I have no idea what you are talking about but certainly, as much as I critise Starmer and his wife for accepting clothes and dresses, I am not someone who thinks it is acceptable to demean her with schoolboy titters
    You have swerved my question.

You did not post relentlessly about Johnson's free groceries from Lady Bamford or his holidays or his free accomodation from Lord Bamford after Johnson was tossed out of Downing Street. Maybe that was all good so nothing to report.

Lady Starmer's underwear has been referenced because by media accounts it came courtesy of Lord Alii.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,770

Can anyone actually name any wrong decisions *yet* Labour have made other than WFA cut that 1) Sunak and Hunt *wouldn't have done* and 2) are unpopular with the public?
    Because early release of prisoners, handing over sovereignty over the Chagos Islands etc. would have happened under Sunak anyway and coming to terms with the unions is broadly supported.

1) Pretty crucial if we are serious about net zero (particularly industries who need natural gas and can't find an alternative)
    2) It's over 25 years
    3) Can't find much evidence of a public outcry outside the usual suspects (e.g partisan Tories, anti-woke grifters).
    You do know carbon capture is expensive bollocks that will do absolutely fuck all towards net zero? Probably not you seem like a left winger, if the conservatives had proposed it you would say it was bollocks....so would I. Now labour has proposed it you think its not total bollocks even though it is
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I’m walking through Camden Market. The youthful energy is insane. No other city - not even New York - matches it. Something unique in the air. Far more dynamic than any city in the EU

London PULSATES. What is being hatched here in this crazy mash of energetic people from all over?

It may yet save us

The growth in Manchester over the past ten years jas been remarkable. Manchester is, if anything*, a younger city than London. It's hard, in Manchester, to recognise the story of national decline. Granted there is a lot of grot - but good grief it's a different city to 20 years ago. Which in turn was a very different city to 20 years before that.

Birmingham is very similar; at one point recently it claimed to be the youngest city in Europe. It has everything and the potential is vast. Also housing is very cheap, you can buy a 1 bed flat in a nice area for £130k. People should quit London for Birmingham.
    Birmingham is probably the most dismal urban experience in the Western hemisphere.
    I grew up in suburban Birmingham. Pleasant enough. The city centre wants another few decades of regeneration, though. People started moving back into the city centre in the 1990s with developments like Brindley Place, but it rather stalled.

Like all second tier British cities, it suffers from a fatal lack of local autonomy and therefore investment.

Not sure what the urban version of “rizz” is, but Birmingham doesn’t have much of it. Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool are all better.
    I quite like Brum. It has never been fashionable with the intellectual elite. It's a gritty city where there's muck and brass, hence when someone wants to have a crass neauvou riche character to laugh at they make them a Brummy, as per Harry Enfield.

It's a great and dynamic city. The British city most like America in its contempt for intellectual pretension and its social mobility.

The city demolishes and re-dos its centre a few times each century and sometimes gets it right.

I was there last week for a research meeting. It's a great city for people who want to give two fingers to English snobs,
    I had a conference there last year. Hated it, to be honest. Couldn't quite put my finger on it for a couple of days, then realised that - in my part, from new street northwards - there were no trees, bushes, green spaces, just endless urban space. That was the issue, I think.
    More canals than Venice and more trees than Paris.

• CookieCookie Posts: 13,272
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Zoe Strimpel

Epicurius was very clear that the best and most important thing about a meal is the company that you eat it with. A bad meal in good company beats a good meal in poor company.
    I often wonder how Epicurus would feel about the word 'Epicurean' - which describes a philosophy, well, if not diametrically opposed to the one he espoused, probably at a good 160 degrees to it.

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It may yet save us

More canals than Venice and more trees than Paris.

Even spaghetti junction has a canal and greenery beneath.
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Zoe Strimpel

I often wonder how Epicurus would feel about the word 'Epicurean' - which describes a philosophy, well, if not diametrically opposed to the one he espoused, probably at a good 160 degrees to it.
    Certainly so. His philosophy is far more interesting than gastronomy.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,274
    Some of you may remember the "child who identifies as a wolf" five-minute-saga. According to the Skeptic, the truth is somewhat sadder...

https://www.skeptic.org.uk/2024/10/the-child-identifies-as-wolf-story-was-only-ever-about-bullying-not-species-confusion/
    Clicked on a YouTube music video.

Treated to a CHRISTMAS advert.

F*ck off.

It is mid October.

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Zoe Strimpel

Which is why I always prefer to eat alone.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,909
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

1. Tie clips
    2. Liquid soap
    3. Eating on the street
    5. Mounted televisions
    7. Gin and tonic
    9. Eating on the Tube
    11. Zoopla and Rightmove
    12. Hot tubs
    15. Buying portraits
    16. Salted caramel"

Why does anybody bother creating wank like this? In the good old days of Fleet Street, they would have refused to set the type...
    I thought U and non-U were from the 'good old days'.
    Wank isn't new.
    I agree with most of it, but his reasons for hot tub hate aren't very 'u' in my opinion. Germaphobia is not an upper class trait - it's very middle class to be prissy about such things. If you're upper class you should positively adore blood, mud, feathers and death, and shouldn't be at all squeamish about jumping in a hot tub. In my limited knowledge and opinion on the topic.

I do think hot tubs probably are rather common, but not for reasons of hygiene.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,917
    Endless grotesque incompetence

How can they be this bad?

“NEW: Downing St source tells me Louise Haigh's comments about boycotting P&O "don't reflect the government view" - Comes as P&O parent company DP World pull a £1bn investment after her comments”

https://x.com/alifortescue/status/1844767271031390223?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

viewcode said:

Some of you may remember the "child who identifies as a wolf" five-minute-saga. According to the Skeptic, the truth is somewhat sadder...

https://www.skeptic.org.uk/2024/10/the-child-identifies-as-wolf-story-was-only-ever-about-bullying-not-species-confusion/

I think I may have made an ill-judged joke about this, which I now feel somewhat bad about.
    Leon said:

“NEW: Downing St source tells me Louise Haigh's comments about boycotting P&O "don't reflect the government view" - Comes as P&O parent company DP World pull a £1bn investment after her comments”

https://x.com/alifortescue/status/1844767271031390223?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The Brexit Wars caused a lot of damage to the Tories by driving out a lot of people, and making Brexit purity the metric by which new candidates were chosen. A similar sort of thing did damage to Labour while Corbyn was leader.

Both main parties are weaker than normal at the moment.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,777
    Harris/Walz are trying to appeal to men with cringey ads like this:

https://x.com/joshwalkos/status/1844560311358992580
    Leon said:

They can't really be this rubbish at government can they?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,777
    A good example of the madness of DEI in America:

https://x.com/civilrights/status/1844780797204513144

The Justice Department filed a lawsuit today against the City of South Bend, Indiana, alleging that the hiring process for entry-level police officers at the South Bend Police Department (SBPD) violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Specifically, the department alleges that South Bend uses a written examination that discriminates against Black applicants and a physical fitness test that discriminates against female applicants.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,657

viewcode said:

I think I may have made an ill-judged joke about this, which I now feel somewhat bad about.
    Make Kemi leader and we'll have years of this shit.

English core cities in order of greatness:

London (but you need to know London)

Manchester
    Newcastle
    Liverpool
    Birmingham
    Nottingham
    Sheffield
    Bristol
    Leeds

Well you've got Birmingham and Manchester the wrong way around for starters.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 595
    rcs1000 said:

I'm not sure why we should hang onto Gibraltar when it's clearly a colonial possession, like Hong Kong was..🧐

The Gibraltans - like the Falkland Islanders - had referendums on remaining British.

The people of Hong Kong never did. So it's difficult to know exactly what they would have chosen, had they been given a choice.
    I think there was a very strong element of the British government not wanting to know the answer to that question.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,298
    Paddle steamer Waverley paid a visit to Tower Bridge on Friday. Taken from 22 Bishopsgate:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It may yet save us

Although when those of us who grew up there open our mouths we sound like blithering idiots. Head and shoulders the most offensive accent in the British Isles.
    That is English snobbery writ large. It's the first place that I remember living too.

People from other regions hold onto their accents, Brummies much less so, also other parts of the Black Country.

It simply isn't fashionable in this country to make your money in manufacturing, unless it is heavy industry like coal and steel whence prolier than thou. It's much more genteel to make your money by course try estates, financial services or best of all inheriting.

Birmingham (and the Black Country) are places where it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    Suddenly we are suggesting that anti-Brummagist feeling is mere snobbery.

No.

I posted that Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow are all better. None precisely have a snooty reputation.

So it is with the accent, for that matter.
    It sounds objectively crass, whereas most other regional accents are actually charming.
    There's a great variety of West Midlands accents. Broad Nuneaton is nothing like Brummie.
    It's about 25 miles away. Granted they were both in the same county, Warwickshire, but Ted changed all that in 1974.

Have you not listened to the Archers? Borchester is similarly distant from Birmingham and they speak like country bumpkins. And Crossroads was in the middle of Birmingham and Benny spoke like a yokel.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 595

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

I remember visiting Harrods when I was about 12 and idly picking up a copy of Punch (which Al Fayed must have just bought) near the till. I heard a voice behind me saying "Please do take a copy on the house young Sir" and turning around to see the man himself smiling benignly. It rather spoils the memory to think that he was probably being vile to a load of female workers during that floor walk.
  • Pagan2 said:

2) It's over 25 years
    You do know carbon capture is expensive bollocks that will do absolutely fuck all towards net zero? Probably not you seem like a left winger, if the conservatives had proposed it you would say it was bollocks....so would I. Now labour has proposed it you think its not total bollocks even though it is
    Definitely bollocks
    edited October 11
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It may yet save us

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20089/parks/405/sutton_park

"Sutton Park is a 2,400 acre National Nature Reserve located 6 miles north of the city centre. It’s one of the largest urban parks in Europe and is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest.

The park has open heathland, woodlands, seven lakes, wetlands, and marshes - each with its own rich variety of plants and wildlife, some rarely seen in the region. Cattle and wild ponies graze on the land.

Attractions and sports facilities are marked on the Sutton Park map.

Sutton Park has been designated as a National Nature Reserve, a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Site of Special Scientific Interest."
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,589

A good example of the madness of DEI in America:

https://x.com/civilrights/status/1844780797204513144

The Justice Department filed a lawsuit today against the City of South Bend, Indiana, alleging that the hiring process for entry-level police officers at the South Bend Police Department (SBPD) violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Specifically, the department alleges that South Bend uses a written examination that discriminates against Black applicants and a physical fitness test that discriminates against female applicants.

Good for the DOJ.

Far too many American Police forces, unlike in this country, massively discriminate against black people and females. If that's embedded from the recruitment stage onwards, that absolutely should be abolished.