Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A 10% return in two days and a 120% return in two days? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,048

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

The first thing Reeves should do is u-turn on the WFA and say she’s managed to find the money elsewhere . Take the ridicule and move on .

Good morning

That would be the worse thing to do as she would be shown to be weak and anyway she will always be remembered for it, much like Gordon Brown's 75p pensioners rise

Best just to carry on unless of course the legal challenge upends it
    +1 - the issue really did show how bad this Government was at media communications. The correct thing was to say it's a temporary cut which is made up for in next years above inflation pension increase..
    Indeed the optics of announcing it at the same time as awarding train drivers bumper pay increases to c£70,000 pa was just bad politics
    I think the money is better spent on people actually working for a living than freebies for Rolex-wearing millionaire pensioners.

The salary for train drivers reflects the supply and demand for labour, nothing more. I'm not sure why these basic laws of labour market economics only apply to CEOs and Premier League footballers, and not people in public service roles.

(There is no upper age limit for train drivers, so after just 4 years of training pensioners could be earning £55k at ScotRail. Not bad)
    I'd missed that story. The Conservatives really do have an advert about Labour's WFA cut featuring pensioners in nice-looking homes and one apparently wearing a Rolex. Saatchi and Saatchi must be turning in its corporate grave.
    https://x.com/conservatives/status/1842167118990823595

It even undermines their Labour comms is a shambles narrative.
    Pianos, coffee machines, £3k sofas.

Imagine the wailing if Labour put something out with a millennial on an e-bike, sipping a soy latte.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,952

nico679 said:

When are the memorials taking place for the thousands of innocent Gazan civilians slaughtered ? Or don’t they matter !

Not sure that is appropriate on today's anniversary of the tragedy that struck innocent Israelis one year ago
    Why not ? The media just seems to have ignored the tens of thousands of Gazans slaughtered .
  • eekeek Posts: 27,650

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

The first thing Reeves should do is u-turn on the WFA and say she’s managed to find the money elsewhere . Take the ridicule and move on .

Good morning

That would be the worse thing to do as she would be shown to be weak and anyway she will always be remembered for it, much like Gordon Brown's 75p pensioners rise

+1 - the issue really did show how bad this Government was at media communications. The correct thing was to say it's a temporary cut which is made up for in next years above inflation pension increase..
    Indeed the optics of announcing it at the same time as awarding train drivers bumper pay increases to c£70,000 pa was just bad politics
    I think the money is better spent on people actually working for a living than freebies for Rolex-wearing millionaire pensioners.

The salary for train drivers reflects the supply and demand for labour, nothing more. I'm not sure why these basic laws of labour market economics only apply to CEOs and Premier League footballers, and not people in public service roles.
    The problem with train drivers is that it's nowhere near as easy as people think it is - but most people think they can do it...
    Most people probably wouldn't want to do it.
    The hours are both unpredictable and unsocial, and it involves large periods of time away from home. And you're sitting down for most of the (long) workday, with very limited breaks, which is not at all good for your health.
    The application ratio for train driver jobs is 200-1.

Source : Times

Figures from Virgin Trains show that this month more than 15,000 people applied for 78 jobs starting in 2018 to drive a new generation of Azuma trains on the east coast mainline. ScotRail was recently inundated by more than 22,000 applications for 100 train driver jobs.22 Oct 2016
    It is hardly surprising with the wages on offer
    And most will fail at the first or second hurdle...

You need a certain type of mindset to be a train driver..

Although thanks for proving my point that a lot of people want to be train drivers and most aren't good enough to pass the required tests.
    If I ever made a career change it would be to either become a teacher or a train driver.

I'd love to work the East Coast mainline.
    There were vacancies in Doncaster not that long ago..
    But Doncaster through.
    Nearest depot to you in Sheffield though...
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,006
    edited 11:45AM

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

(There is no upper age limit for train drivers, so after just 4 years of training pensioners could be earning £55k at ScotRail. Not bad)
    I'd missed that story. The Conservatives really do have an advert about Labour's WFA cut featuring pensioners in nice-looking homes and one apparently wearing a Rolex. Saatchi and Saatchi must be turning in its corporate grave.

Is that actually a Rolex? I'm not a connoisseur of such.

Can @TSE advise?

A political advert nearly 4 minutes long is unusual.
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Can @TSE advise?
    Yep - now it may be a fake but the two tone strap looks too good to be a fake...
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,866

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

The problem with train drivers is that it's nowhere near as easy as people think it is - but most people think they can do it...
    The hours are both unpredictable and unsocial, and it involves large periods of time away from home. And you're sitting down for most of the (long) workday, with very limited breaks, which is not at all good for your health.

Figures from Virgin Trains show that this month more than 15,000 people applied for 78 jobs starting in 2018 to drive a new generation of Azuma trains on the east coast mainline. ScotRail was recently inundated by more than 22,000 applications for 100 train driver jobs.22 Oct 2016

Although thanks for proving my point that a lot of people want to be train drivers and most aren't good enough to pass the required tests.
    If I ever made a career change it would be to either become a teacher or a train driver.

From observtion, most Cambridge trained lawyers make appalling teachers.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,527

The owner of British Gas is exploring a potential investment in Hinkley Point C as French state energy giant EDF scrambles to raise more funds for the troubled nuclear project.

Centrica has held discussions about a possible deal in recent months, although the talks are thought to be at an early stage, The Telegraph understands.

City sources suggested the company could put at least £1bn into the scheme, which is being built in Somerset, in exchange for a stake of 5pc or more.

Any deal would also likely secure Centrica a share of the plant’s electricity output, at a time when energy suppliers are revisiting nuclear as a potential source of “clean” power to replace fossil fuels.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/10/07/british-gas-owner-considers-1bn-investment-hinkley-point/

Given the cost of Hinkley C is now running at £50bn, 5% for a £1 bn looks a great deal.
    How much is sunk costs already, that could just be written off in favour of giving the Koreans a call?

Sandpit project $34bn, 8 years per reactor, 4x 1345MW
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barakah_nuclear_power_plant

Hinkley C £50bn, 15 years, 2x 1630MW
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,613
    nico679 said:

If she's feeling really audacious she should reinstate it and then double it, stating that she and Sir Keir would not let the elderly go cold for all the tea in China. Cheeky, perhaps, considering they were previously planning to scrap it, but Labour desperately need to reclaim their reputation as the pensioners' friend.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,197
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Pianos, coffee machines, £3k sofas.

Imagine the wailing if Labour put something out with a millennial on an e-bike, sipping a soy latte.
    Sue Gray might be open to offers if CCHQ wants to hire someone halfway competent.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,552

eek said:

The owner of British Gas is exploring a potential investment in Hinkley Point C as French state energy giant EDF scrambles to raise more funds for the troubled nuclear project.

Centrica has held discussions about a possible deal in recent months, although the talks are thought to be at an early stage, The Telegraph understands.

City sources suggested the company could put at least £1bn into the scheme, which is being built in Somerset, in exchange for a stake of 5pc or more.

Any deal would also likely secure Centrica a share of the plant’s electricity output, at a time when energy suppliers are revisiting nuclear as a potential source of “clean” power to replace fossil fuels.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/10/07/british-gas-owner-considers-1bn-investment-hinkley-point/

Given the cost of Hinkley C is now running at £50bn, 5% for a £1 bn looks a great deal.
    Well a lot of it will be debt, but it shows how desperate EDF are to cover some costs...
    There's a reason nearly half the EDF Board resigned before they entered into the decision to go ahead with Hinkley C.
    Fuckers. They have killed thousands of innocent terrorists and have blood on their hands.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,497
    Sandpit said:

How much is sunk costs already, that could just be written off in favour of giving the Koreans a call?

Sandpit project $34bn, 8 years per reactor, 4x 1345MW
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barakah_nuclear_power_plant

Hinkley C £50bn, 15 years, 2x 1630MW
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station
    I expect most of the additional cost is BECAUSE it's in the UK tbh
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,212
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

When are the memorials taking place for the thousands of innocent Gazan civilians slaughtered ? Or don’t they matter !

Not sure that is appropriate on today's anniversary of the tragedy that struck innocent Israelis one year ago
    Why not ? The media just seems to have ignored the tens of thousands of Gazans slaughtered .
    It is the anniversary of the slaughter of Israelis by Hamas that triggered this middle east nightmare

Today is their day

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,696
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Can @TSE advise?

I do not own a Rolex so cannot advise.

Breitling on the the other hand
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,749
    *inserts needlessly controversial and off-topic remark to liven up PB*
    edited 11:59AM
    On Sue Gray what on earth is envoy to the regions and nations other than a made up job

We have Secretaries of State for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all elected mps
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,003

On Sue Gray what on earth is envoy to the regions and nations other than a made up job

We have Sectaries of State for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all elected mps

I think it's called making up a non-job and salary to stop her spilling the beans, lol!
    It is noon in the PB pub. A dog snores by the fire. Behind the bar @TSE slowly dries a wine glass, staring vacantly out of the window

A couple of regulars sit, hunched over pints, chattering vaguely and quietly about train drivers. @TSE sighs, and switches the silent TV on to the cricket

The sleeping dog twitches, dreaming of rabbits
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,452

Ah, the watch for when the rest of your outfit just isn't quite pretentious enough...
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,900

We have Sectaries of State for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all elected mps

Liason with elected mayor's as well as devolved governments. It seems a nessecary role to me. We need better coordination between these.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,452
    Leon said:

It is noon in the PB pub. A dog snores by the fire. Behind the bar @TSE slowly dries a wine glass, staring vacantly out of the window

A couple of regulars sit, hunched over pints, chattering vaguely and quietly about train drivers. @TSE sighs, and switches the silent TV on to the cricket

The resident pub bore enters.

The regulars mutter under their breath before heading to the door...
    GIN1138 said:

I think it's called making up a non-job and salary to stop her spilling the beans, lol!
    More likely a precaution against Starmer having backed the wrong horse in McSweeney and needing to rehire Sue Gray in a hurry.
    edited 12:02PM
    Foxy said:

Liason with elected mayor's as well as devolved governments. It seems a nessecary role to me. We need better coordination between these.
    If she is not good enough at no 10, then why makeup a job for her in the region and nations
    Scott_xP said:

Ah, the watch for when the rest of your outfit just isn't quite pretentious enough...
    Does that sound like me?

TBH I have set myself a target of owning a Patek Philippe before I am fifty.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,952

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Apologies if already highlighted, but Amnesty are a disgrace:

https://x.com/AmnestyUK/status/1842830656939741641

Even if the message is true, the timing is appalling and it's obvious that they don't think the Palestinians have any responsibility for what's going on.

It was put out on the 6th of October. What sort of date range should be off limits around an anniversary, a week before and after, the whole month?
    I'd say the day before an anniversary of the mass slaughter of Jews is too close. Do you think it's too close?
    I don't particularly, not when the IDF is still battering the fuck out of Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon, but then I have no knowledge of the book of etiquette on when one is and is not allowed to make tweets.
    In which case, don't start wars you can't win.
    Which wars did the West Bank and the sovereign state of Lebanon start?

The contrast between victimy bleating about the date of a tweet and the Billy Big Bollocks 'Israel is the toughest guy on the block' stuff is always good for a laff.
    Have you missed Hezbollah firing rockets at Israel continuously since 7th October? Rather war-like.

I think every right thinking person wants an immediate cease-fire and finding a way that no more people have to die. But trying to pin this all on the nasty Israelis won't wash I'm afraid. Hamas seriously miscalculated what the response would be. If they had attacked only military targets I would have a grain of sympathy for them - after history is replete with armed struggles against 'oppressors'. But they couldn't help themselves, could they. They slaughtered kids at a music festival. They raped and murdered young women and celebrated by showing off the bodies.

They thought they would get away with a brief tit for tat, but Israel said no. And now Hezbollah are making the same mistake.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,251
    edited 12:05PM

eek said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

There were vacancies in Doncaster not that long ago..
    But Doncaster though.
    Great place to spot trains!
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,676

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Good news: Your colourful imagery would certainly help pupils remember things.

Bad news: Your colourful imagery ...

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

Word on the street is that even your uber-rich types are giving up on posh brands in favour of Apple watches that monitor your pulse, steps, and so on.
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Can @TSE advise?

The internet thinks it's a Datejust, worth about 25 WFPs.
    edited 12:11PM
    eek said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Can @TSE advise?
    Yep - now it may be a fake but the two tone strap looks too good to be a fake...
    The Daily Mirror may have some fun with this.

Nice furnishings, garden, piano in lounge, not very effective brand-scrubbing, multiple dogs costing ££s or £££s per annum - does not speak of people who will have to choose between heat and eat for the sake of a couple hundred ££.

Some pushing the comparisons too far, which is fun.

Communications a bit clunky on the Opposition side, too.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,725
    eek said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Can @TSE advise?
    Honestly, it could go either way.

While it's clearly a watch in the style of a classic two tone datejust - this 'un - https://www.rolex.com/watches/datejust/m126233-0025

There are a *lot* of watches out there that ape the same style. Famously, Rolex wouldn't let Christian Bale wear one in American Psycho, so they substituted a near-identical Seiko 5 (price £295) in the film - https://clarindawatches.com/seiko-snxj90-the-american-psycho-watch/

And you can pick up near identical off-brand 'homage' watches for under a hundred bucks - https://www.mywatchcode.com/36mm-parnis-black-dial-sapphire-glass-21-jewels-miyota-automatic-mens-watch-p389_p1250.html

Or if you take a holiday to the far east, you can pick up a fake rolex for about £300 that's indistinguishable from the real thing. Check out some of the videos of a fake Datejust side by side the real thing. Short of putting them under a microscope, it's impossible to tell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dmBaZAShU

Another point is that this is a notorious 'old man' watch and may well have been bought in the 80s for a fraction of what they sell for now. Notoriously you could pick up a Rolex Daytona chronograph for $500 in the 90s, that'll be 20k retail to you and me today, or more on the secondary market.

So even if real, ownership of a 40 year old watch bought for 1/10th of what it retails for today doesn't necessarily imply the guy is rich in the conventional sense, splashing out $14,000 on new watches every year. Although if it is a real vintage from the 80s, he could always sell the watch for ten grand and pay his heating bill that way...

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

Would prefer A. Lange & Söhne myself - but I actually had you as a Hublot type of guy..

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Apologies if already highlighted, but Amnesty are a disgrace:

https://x.com/AmnestyUK/status/1842830656939741641

Even if the message is true, the timing is appalling and it's obvious that they don't think the Palestinians have any responsibility for what's going on.

It was put out on the 6th of October. What sort of date range should be off limits around an anniversary, a week before and after, the whole month?
    I'd say the day before an anniversary of the mass slaughter of Jews is too close. Do you think it's too close?
    I don't particularly, not when the IDF is still battering the fuck out of Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon, but then I have no knowledge of the book of etiquette on when one is and is not allowed to make tweets.
    In which case, don't start wars you can't win.
    Which wars did the West Bank and the sovereign state of Lebanon start?

The contrast between victimy bleating about the date of a tweet and the Billy Big Bollocks 'Israel is the toughest guy on the block' stuff is always good for a laff.
    Have you missed Hezbollah firing rockets at Israel continuously since 7th October? Rather war-like.

I think every right thinking person wants an immediate cease-fire and finding a way that no more people have to die. But trying to pin this all on the nasty Israelis won't wash I'm afraid. Hamas seriously miscalculated what the response would be. If they had attacked only military targets I would have a grain of sympathy for them - after history is replete with armed struggles against 'oppressors'. But they couldn't help themselves, could they. They slaughtered kids at a music festival. They raped and murdered young women and celebrated by showing off the bodies.

They thought they would get away with a brief tit for tat, but Israel said no. And now Hezbollah are making the same mistake.
    No. Hamas seemed to have expected their attack would be swiftly joined by Hezbollah, Iran and perhaps even Turkey, even though it had not forewarned, let alone consulted, them.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,688
    An eminently sane and realistic assessment of the Tory leadership race by David Gauke.

https://conservativehome.com/2024/10/07/david-gauke-there-is-no-inevitability-about-this-race-but-cleverly-is-now-the-frontrunner/

Good on the strengths and weaknesses of the candidates.

Assessed Jenrick's faltering campaign pretty well:

"The other speech that did not work on Wednesday was that of Robert Jenrick. This was surprising because he has generally fought an energetic campaign and the content of the speech was exactly what the members might be expected to like. Perhaps that was the problem; it was too obviously pandering. It was the speech that ChatGPT would have written someone wanting to appeal to the Tory Party conference, except ChatGPT would have known that Margaret Thatcher was elected Tory leader in 1975 not 1974."
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

Would prefer A. Lange & Söhne myself - but I actually had you as a Hublot type of guy..
    I have a Hublot too but I am too scared to wear it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,061
    Over the weekend X / Twitter took the @America handle from the original user who registered it.

The handle now belongs to Elon Musk and his Super PAC set up to support Donald Trump..

https://x.com/MattBinder/status/1843130854509584466

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

Word on the street is that even your uber-rich types are giving up on posh brands in favour of Apple watches that monitor your pulse, steps, and so on.
    For the last decade or so I have been pretty much wearing an Apple Watch every day.

The Breitling, Hublot, and Tag Heuer only come out for special occasions or if I want to show off.

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

I shifted 10 years ago to Apple Watches - having a credit card on the wrist is just too convenient.

And this is someone with multiple Omegas / Zeniths... in my bedside cabinet..
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

Garmin Fenix for me. Might get a MARQ Adventurer for a special occasion..

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

For the last decade or so I have been pretty much wearing an Apple Watch every day.

The Breitling, Hublot, and Tag Heuer only come out for special occasions or if I want to show off.
    Tag Heuer will be seeing significant price increases now they've got the F1 deal...
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

I shifted 10 years ago to Apple Watches - having a credit card on the wrist is just too convenient.

The fact I can make phone calls on my watch and pay for staff whilst leaving my wallet and phone at home are real game changers.

I know Tag Heuer and others do smart watches in the classic style but they only work with Android.
    edited 12:15PM

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

Aren't those a bit underpriced?

Where's your Trump watch for $100k ? You can buy two and be arrested next year for illegal political donations, or presumably racketeering or wire fraud because it's a day of the week with D in it, and you are one of the 7 billion or so human beings.
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

Aren't those a bit underpriced?

Where's your Trump watch for $100k ? You can buy two and be arrested next year for illegal political donations, or presumably racketeering or wire fraud because it's a day of the week with D in it, and you are one of the 7 billion or so human beings.
    I am the grandson of humble immigrants to this country, I have a budget.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,251

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

I am Shocked! Shocked to learn that TSE would even think about showing off!
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The resident pub bore enters.

The regulars mutter under their breath before heading to the door...
    Dimly perceptible, above the snoring of the dog, and the squeak of the tea-towel, as @TSE dries another pint glass, is the sussurus of someone saying “Brexit! Brexit!! It’s Brexit! Not as stupid as Brexit!”

It’s the pub nutter. Locked in the pub cupboard these past eight years

@TSE turns and gazes at the locked cupboard, his face inscrutable. @Big_G_NorthWales and @foxy quietly sip their pints

“Did you know my son was in the RNLI?”

edited 12:22PM
    Haven't worn a watch for decades.
    The Apple is finally getting to the point of sufficient utility, so that might change.

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,353
    edited 12:21PM
    Scott_xP said:

Both Breitling and Tag Heuer are trying to recover from their "knobend watch" reputation.

This is almost restrained, for example:

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watches/premier/premier-b09-chronograph-40/AB0930371G1/

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

An old CEO had a Hublot, but kept insisting it was a Hong Kong special to anyone at work who noticed it. Yeah right, it was well under a month’s salary for him.

Does anyone in the UK wear a Swiss watch outside any more, after so many thefts reported in the papers? I have a $100 watch that looks like a $100 watch, which I wear when travelling almost anywhere. The nice watch stays back in the sandpit, from where it’s not getting stolen.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,117
    edited 12:25PM
    Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

The salary for train drivers doesn't really reflect conventional supply and demand. They get dozens of applications for every vacant trainee post. They only earn anything like they do because of industrial action and militant unions, coupled with limitless government subsidy.

edited 12:31PM
    Christ, I genuinely thought the “Rachel Reeves dyes her hair ginger” thing was a joke. Maybe with robot-manipulated imagery

It’s… true???

She looks like a kind of lesbian Worzel Gummidge

edited 12:29PM

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

The fact I can make phone calls on my watch and pay for staff whilst leaving my wallet and phone at home are real game changers.

I know Tag Heuer and others do smart watches in the classic style but they only work with Android.
    I looked at the Tag Smart watch. Yes it was crap with an iPhone, and would be about as useful a few years down the line as those original gold Apple Watches. Who pays two grand for a watch that will quickly depreciate to nothing?
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,057

‪sundersays.bsky.social‬ ‪@sundersays.bsky.social‬
    ·
    1h
    Elon Musk is offering $ to sign a pro-Trump pre-election petition, linked to a voter registration drive in swing states. Inducements to register are not legal.

https://bsky.app/profile/sundersays.bsky.social/post/3l5vy2kimjh2q

Lock him up!
    edited 12:33PM
    theProle said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

The salary for train drivers doesn't really reflect conventional supply and demand. They get dozens of applications for every vacant trainee post. They only earn anything like they do because of industrial action and militant unions, coupled with limitless government subsidy.

Actually - as I've pointed out before the wages of a train drive are an infinitesimal part of the cost of running the train network.

The cost of the train driver is paid for by the first 4 (2 if first class) passengers who get on the train at Euston..

Their wages are high because if they don't turn up Virgin West Coast lost over £100,000 per journey. Even £500 (their overtime rate) is cheap when the lack of a driver would mean £300-400,000 in lost revenue..
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,353
    An on topic daily photo, for once:

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,636
    Nigelb said:

The Apple is finally getting to the point of sufficient utility, so that might change.

The Apple Watch Ultra is by far the best piece of tech I have ever purchased. Superb for the outdoor life. Great for training. Amazing for paying for stuff and taking calls when you haven't got your phone on you. Great battery life. And near enough indestructible. The list really is endless.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,930
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

An old CEO had a Hublot, but kept insisting it was a Hong Kong special to anyone at work who noticed it. Yeah right, it was well under a month’s salary for him.

Does anyone in the UK wear a Swiss watch outside any more, after so many thefts reported in the papers? I have a $100 watch that looks like a $100 watch, which I wear when travelling almost anywhere. The nice watch stays back in the sandpit, from where it’s not getting stolen.
    I know an ex-SAS soldier who was taken off-guard by a young woman in the street who stole his Patek Phillipe. She was supported by a number of men who whisked her away in a waiting car.

Don’t worry, I’ve already checked

The phrase “lesbian Worzel Gummidge” has only been used ONCE before, in all of human history. Here on a subreddit called r/RoastMe, three years ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/RoastMe/s/9TJx31bVTJ
    eek said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Actually - as I've pointed out before the wages of a train drive are an infinitesimal part of the cost of running the train network.

The cost of the train driver is paid for by the first 4 (2 if first class) passengers who get on the train at Euston..

Their wages are high because if they don't turn up Virgin West Coast lost over £100,000 per journey. Even £500 (their overtime rate) is cheap when the lack of a driver would mean £300-400,000 in lost revenue..
    But if you train three times as many and one doesn't turn up, the next one gets the gig. Its surely like any other scarcity - break the scarcity, bring down the cost. Its in the drivers interests to have too few drivers. Just as its in doctors interests not to have loads of unemployed heart surgeons just waiting, scalpel in hand.

We saw in pharmacy what happened when we introduced a glut in the market of pharmacists. Can you guess?

Yep - salaries went down (mainly the bellwether of locum rates).

Nigelb said:

The Apple Watch Ultra is by far the best piece of tech I have ever purchased. Superb for the outdoor life. Great for training. Amazing for paying for stuff and taking calls when you haven't got your phone on you. Great battery life. And near enough indestructible. The list really is endless.
    I’ve thought about getting one. I bought one each for my daughters when they respectively turned 18

What puts me off is having yet another thing to charge. I spend half my life charging devices - or so it feels. Isn’t that a pain?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,307
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

I used to wear nice watches: I have an Omega and a Patek Philippe.

But for at least the last seven years, I've worn a smartwatch. First, the iWatch, and more recently a Garmin.

I can't see myself ever going back to an analog watch, no matter how beautifully designed, because I find the health and fitness tracking so useful.
    edited 12:40PM
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I’ve thought about getting one. I bought one each for my daughters when they respectively turned 18

What puts me off is having yet another thing to charge. I spend half my life charging devices - or so it feels. Isn’t that a pain?
    The Watch Ultra 2 you can go 3/4 days between charges and takes around an hour to charge.

You develop a routine.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,145
    eek said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Noted. On a very similar analysis checkout people at Lidl could legitimately ask for, say, £75K per annum, on the basis that this is £300 per working day, which is easily covered in the first 15-30 minutes of putting goods through. Nice one.
    edited 12:42PM
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

My Garmin completely transformed my life in terms of keeping fit. I'm a numbers guy, and watching my RHR fall and my VO2 increase is a big dopamine hit.

(Just be aware that it also reveals how alcohol devastates your body, with terrible sleep stats and a desperate heart rate. Maybe best out of your mind...)

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

The Watch Ultra 2 you can go 3/4 days between charges and takes around to charge.

You develop a routine.
    Hmm

I’m exactly the same as @Nigelb - haven’t worn a watch for decades. Not having to worry about a watch is liberating. However the Apple Watch is now sufficiently useful I am tempted…
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

Noted. On a very similar analysis checkout people at Lidl could legitimately ask for, say, £75K per annum, on the basis that this is £300 per working day, which is easily covered in the first 15-30 minutes of putting goods through. Nice one.
    But a Lidl checkout worker is easy to train and so they are easily replaceable. Train drivers are far harder to replace than a lot of people think

See my comment earlier that it's not 0.5% of those who apply who qualify it's 0.25% (or 1 in 400 at best)
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,226
    Leon said:

I've got one - @Casino_Royale was right when he called peak woke a few months ago. Bloomberg has leaked an internal memo from Toyota which outlines funding withdrawal from DEI initiatives and removing all branches of the business from human rights/DEI/transgender indices.

It has caused precisely zero blowback for Toyota with most reactions being positive among investors who are happy to see management get back to business and whatever damage Bloomberg intended with the leak of the memo has failed to materialise.

People are fed up of being told what to think by companies and a tiny section of society that managed to capture corporate strategies for a few years but it is coming to an end.

Relatedly Variety had a piece a couple of days ago which bemoaned studios for speaking to "toxic" fanbases of big franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Marvel etc... to get advice on how to avoid their shows and movies bombing so hard. I've heard from more than a few people that Marvel has cleaned house as part of the deal to being RDJ back.

It will end up collapsing like a house of cards over the next year or so and companies who persist with woke nonsense will soo find themselves outcompeted by focussed ones.

eek said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

But if you train three times as many and one doesn't turn up, the next one gets the gig. Its surely like any other scarcity - break the scarcity, bring down the cost. Its in the drivers interests to have too few drivers. Just as its in doctors interests not to have loads of unemployed heart surgeons just waiting, scalpel in hand.

We saw in pharmacy what happened when we introduced a glut in the market of pharmacists. Can you guess?

And the reason why we currently don't have enough train drivers to work without overtime being timetabled is because since 2020 no company has had an incentive to train train drivers because the Department of Transport vetos it when the operator asks for the budget to do so..
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,132
    edited 12:48PM
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

But for at least the last seven years, I've worn a smartwatch. First, the iWatch, and more recently a Garmin.

I can't see myself ever going back to an analog watch, no matter how beautifully designed, because I find the health and fitness tracking so useful.
    I have a piece of Chinese crap. It costs about £4. It does everything I need it to, doesn't invade my privacy, doesn't need charging, and I never have to worry about it getting damaged or stolen.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,468
    edited 12:50PM
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

My Garmin completely transformed my life in terms of keeping fit. I'm a numbers guy, and watching my RHR fall and my VO2 increase is a big dopamine hit.
    I have a fancy watch received as a 21st. Didn't wear it (or any other) watch for years.

Got a Garmin now though...and it doesn't come off.

To me they are more useful than standard smart watches as the battery life is much better than the equivalent Samsung/Apple. You can do pay (if you want) and show messages (if you want) but the most useful functions for me are HR & activity tracking. Garmin software also seems to be pretty robust and privacy is (probably) better.
    I have several 50s/60s watches that I occassionally wear. Jaeger LeCoultre and Omega Seamaster De Ville and Constellations. They still look very classy - but are unlikely to get attention from a street thief. £1,000 - £1,500 range.

I do have a Jaeger LeCoultre ultra thin which I bought 20-odd years ago. It is still a very impressive piece of engineering - even more so with a crystal screen on the reverse that shows the motion. I am very wary of wearing that - although you'd have to spot it first. It sits very close to the wrist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2331262456?iid=355272101877
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,552
    Leon said:

And you’re snorting a couple lines in the lav preparatory to ‘livening’ things up.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,226
    I haven't worn a watch for a few years but when I did I had a Rolex which I wore to formal events and an Omega for everyday. I've kept them both, apparently the Rolex is some kind of limited edition which is impossible to find so of interest to collectors and investors, I'll probably cash that in before the bottom falls out of the luxury timepiece market.
    edited 12:57PM
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Just that - it's utility vs hassle and expense.
    A mobile phone has been fine for a decade or two, but the balance might just have tipped.

(I have an old fob watch and chain, forgotten somewhere.
    Probably with my cufflinks.)

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I have a fancy watch received as a 21st. Didn't wear it (or any other) watch for years.

To me they are more useful than standard smart watches as the battery life is much better than the equivalent Samsung/Apple. You can do pay (if you want) and show messages (if you want) but the most useful functions for me are HR & activity tracking. Garmin software also seems to be pretty robust and privacy is (probably) better.
    I turned off notifications because it was so distracting when I'm driving/cycling.

My Fenix can go well over a week without charging. Consecutive 100km cycles and hikes will finish it off in 2/3 days.
    edited 12:58PM
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

I have a piece of Chinese crap. It costs about £4. It does everything I need it to, doesn't invade my privacy, doesn't need charging, and I never have to worry about it getting damaged or stolen.
    I bought a dodgy Patek Phillipe in Thailand decades back. It was a highly unusual design (never saw another on offer) and it was good enough to fool.

Well worth ten bucks. The guy in a booth at Picadilly Circus tube station would change the battery, no questions asked.
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I turned off notifications because it was so distracting when I'm driving/cycling.

My Fenix can go well over a week without charging. Consecutive 100km cycles and hikes will finish it off in 2/3 days.
    I'm the same - albeit I have a three year old Epix - and I keep a few notifications on, but am otherwise the same. I find it quite amazing that it will track my heartrate, power meter, cadence, and location for a five hour cycle ride, and will only use up 30% battery.

I'm considering upgrading to the Fenix 8.
    Blimey.

Curtis Bashaw appears to have medical episode during NJ senate debate
    https://x.com/WigShoppe/status/1843085252110975392

(His concerned opponent is Andy Kim, who was the guy who helped clear up the mess on the floor in Congress, immediately after the Jan 6th incursion.)
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

(Just be aware that it also reveals how alcohol devastates your body, with terrible sleep stats and a desperate heart rate. Maybe best out of your mind...)
    I started this year with my VO2 max in the early bit of the orange. It's now well into the blue, and I hope to get it into the purple by the end of the year.

And, yes, it's also extremely helpful at discouraging drinking, because you say "ouch... two beers last night, and my sleep score was down to a 40."

Leon said:

And you’re snorting a couple lines in the lav preparatory to ‘livening’ things up.
    Unsuccessfully. We have now moved on from train driver salaries to "smart watches v pricey watches (v no watch)"

And it's fine. Every pub must have its slow and comforting down time. You don't want Saturday night fistfights 24/7
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,322

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

If you are 100% into the Apple ecosystem, want to take phone calls from your wrist, and don't mind having to charge your watch every other day, then the Apple Watch is for you.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in tracking your health and fitness over smartwatch functionality, then the Garmins are better. They also start a lot cheaper; a Venu can be had for about £150.

Both support tap to pay.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,216
    eek said:

eek said:

theProle said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

nico679 said:

Good morning

And the reason why we currently don't have enough train drivers to work without overtime being timetabled is because since 2020 no company has had an incentive to train train drivers because the Department of Transport vetos it when the operator asks for the budget to do so..
    There’s a sad irony in the rail industry being privatised by the Conservatives only to end up effectively re-nationalised in the worst way possible by the same party fifteen years (or so) later.

Not the worst policy choice ever made in the UK, but definitely in the running for it.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I've got one - @Casino_Royale was right when he called peak woke a few months ago. Bloomberg has leaked an internal memo from Toyota which outlines funding withdrawal from DEI initiatives and removing all branches of the business from human rights/DEI/transgender indices.

It has caused precisely zero blowback for Toyota with most reactions being positive among investors who are happy to see management get back to business and whatever damage Bloomberg intended with the leak of the memo has failed to materialise.

People are fed up of being told what to think by companies and a tiny section of society that managed to capture corporate strategies for a few years but it is coming to an end.

Relatedly Variety had a piece a couple of days ago which bemoaned studios for speaking to "toxic" fanbases of big franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Marvel etc... to get advice on how to avoid their shows and movies bombing so hard. I've heard from more than a few people that Marvel has cleaned house as part of the deal to being RDJ back.

It will end up collapsing like a house of cards over the next year or so and companies who persist with woke nonsense will soo find themselves outcompeted by focussed ones.
    You could be right. The near-cancellation of Robin diAngelo - of White Fragility fame - is another hopeful sign
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,383

nico679 said:

Why? The WFA is a ludicrous iniquitous freebie.

She is right to remove it.
    Is it true that MPs get an allowance to pay THEIR fuel bills?
    https://www.theipsa.org.uk/news/why-we-fund-certain-utility-bills

"Like the rest of us, MPs pay utility bills for their own homes.

IPSA pays utility bills for the accommodation of non-London MPs when they stay away from home, and for their constituency offices.

This is to ensure people aren’t put off becoming an MP by the thought of paying a second set of utility costs – as well as utility costs for an office – on top of the costs for their own home.

The funding we provide means MPs pay for one set of utility bills, while we fund the bills related to their parliamentary work."

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

I started this year with my VO2 max in the early bit of the orange. It's now well into the blue, and I hope to get it into the purple by the end of the year.

And, yes, it's also extremely helpful at discouraging drinking, because you say "ouch... two beers last night, and my sleep score was down to a 40."
    Is that your gender assigned at birth or one you have chosen just because? :D
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,468
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

You do wonder what the return would be if the NHS were to give away some cheap ones with appropriate monitoring (medical record level privacy).

Though no doubt it would end up with Winston being told to get on with his Physical Jerks.
    Barnesian said:

nico679 said:

IPSA pays utility bills for the accommodation of non-London MPs when they stay away from home, and for their constituency offices.

This is to ensure people aren’t put off becoming an MP by the thought of paying a second set of utility costs – as well as utility costs for an office – on top of the costs for their own home.

The funding we provide means MPs pay for one set of utility bills, while we fund the bills related to their parliamentary work."

I have long thought that their ought to be a publically owned hotel for MP's to use when in London if they cannot get home. They wouldn't pay to stay, but would need to fund their food (just as they would at home). No more second homes paid for by the taxpayer.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,166
    Nigelb said:

This is a key debate.
    I'm strongly in favour of zonal pricing (though as always, the devil will be in the details).

Charging customers for energy based on location ‘could harm UK industry’
    Trade groups warn against government’s idea that those further from power projects should pay more
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/oct/07/zonal-energy-pricing-plan-uk-industry-trade-groups-ed-miliband

If done right, the market should lower the overall cost of electricity in the UK - and incentivise regional industrial investment.

IF done right, the market SHOULD lower the overall cost of electricity in the UK. Given precedent I assume at least one will not be met :(
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,322
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

You could be right. The near-cancellation of Robin diAngelo - of White Fragility fame - is another hopeful sign
    The issue is it also comes through the schools
    https://www.mattgoodwin.org/p/our-schools-are-ideologically-captured?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=858965&post_id=149800632&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoyNTI3NzM4MzcsInBvc3RfaWQiOjE0OTgwMDYzMiwiaWF0IjoxNzI4Mjc5NzIzLCJleHAiOjE3MzA4NzE3MjMsImlzcyI6InB1Yi04NTg5NjUiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.VPKVOhS-jlAVu4R1o3lWQ-9JF2RL_9AdKAhf1xlrHv0&r=46htjh&triedRedirect=true&utm_medium=email
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

If you are 100% into the Apple ecosystem, want to take phone calls from your wrist, and don't mind having to charge your watch every other day, then the Apple Watch is for you.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in tracking your health and fitness over smartwatch functionality, then the Garmins are better. They also start a lot cheaper; a Venu can be had for about £150.

Both support tap to pay.
    Just checked. The Apple Watch Ultra is £700. That's a lot of money for

1. A watch I will inevitably lose

2. A watch that I have to take off every time I swim, shower, etc

3. A watch that has to be charged every couple of days

4. A watch that wil probably get stolen, given that I travel in some dodgy places

I may hold out a bit longer..

Barnesian said:

nico679 said:

I have long thought that their ought to be a publically owned hotel for MP's to use when in London if they cannot get home. They wouldn't pay to stay, but would need to fund their food (just as they would at home). No more second homes paid for by the taxpayer.
    Hang on - when I'm travelling I expense all meals simply because I wouldn't be eating out if I wasn't away..
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,645
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Both support tap to pay.

4. A watch that wil probably get stolen, given that I travel in some dodgy places

For 2) it's water proof to 100m. However for 3) you can charge it while doing 2).
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

This is a key debate.
    I'm strongly in favour of zonal pricing (though as always, the devil will be in the details).

Charging customers for energy based on location ‘could harm UK industry’
    Trade groups warn against government’s idea that those further from power projects should pay more
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/oct/07/zonal-energy-pricing-plan-uk-industry-trade-groups-ed-miliband

If done right, the market should lower the overall cost of electricity in the UK - and incentivise regional industrial investment.

IF done right, the market SHOULD lower the overall cost of electricity in the UK. Given precedent I assume at least one will not be met :(
    Well it's currently crap, so it's unlikely to be worse and could be a large improvement.
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that sound like me?

If its Chinese its probably listening in to all your conversations... Some poor Chinese MI6 equivalent is getting very bored, all day long.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,725
    Barnesian said:

nico679 said:

Your daily reminder that Jenrick claimed £100,000 in expenses for a third home "used only rarely" - https://www.thetimes.com/article/robert-jenrick-claimed-100-000-expenses-for-third-home-0szhp8lzh
    eek said:

Barnesian said:

nico679 said:

Hang on - when I'm travelling I expense all meals simply because I wouldn't be eating out if I wasn't away..
    Ok - maybe a bit of flexibility on that one.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Both support tap to pay.

You can shower and swim whilst wearing the Watch Ultra.

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

You do wonder what the return would be if the NHS were to give away some cheap ones with appropriate monitoring (medical record level privacy).

Though no doubt it would end up with Winston being told to get on with his Physical Jerks.
    That's a very rude way to talk about Garmin wearers.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,132
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Unsuccessfully. We have now moved on from train driver salaries to "smart watches v pricey watches (v no watch)"

And it's fine. Every pub must have its slow and comforting down time. You don't want Saturday night fistfights 24/7
    I love a boring interlude on pb.com. If the topic most exercising us is our choice of wristwear, it's a sign that - well, not quite that all's-right-with-the-world, but any impending apocalypse is unlikely to happen before teatime.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Both support tap to pay.

You can shower and swim whilst wearing the Watch Ultra.
    Yes, I just discovered that! Also you can use it as a dive watch, and I do scuba from time to time. That is impressive

Eeek, I am tempted.... yet also hesitant. Yet another precious thing to lose, charge, have stolen...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,166

MattW said:

Reform UK teeing-up a Private Prosecution against the men who attacked the police in Manchester Airport.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/reform-manchester-airport-fight-police-private-prosecution/

A take from 'journalist' Isobel Oakeshott (aka Richard Tice's partner) on Talk-TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kfUhJdPt-s

I had no idea they were an item!
    Politics is notoriously incestuous. Stephanie Flanders dated Ed Miliband and Ed Balls. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/so-ed-miliband-and-ed-balls-dated-the-same-woman-it-s-her-i-feel-sorry-for-8697980.html