Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Democrats are losing their enthusiasm – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,630
    RobD said:

ohnotnow said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

My only defence of Starmer - it’s not much, I can’t stand the bloke - is that this feels like a co-ordinated assassination. I go back to the repeated and weird attacks from the Guardian, who give him no succour at all - and are often the most vicious

For some reason Skyr royale has deeply angered a bunch of people

I wonder if the gov is resisting something media-y - perhaps they've said no to a Channel 4 bailout?
    Or potentially they've known Keir is risky for a long time and want him briskly dispatched now the majority is in the bag, for someone with less issues?

It seems unlikely though. I suggest they're just doing a bit of journalism now that there's no immediate risk of a Tory Government being elected.
    Finally, Ed's time has come.
    Don't even joke.
    Are you ready for true chaos?
    Break out the Mr Sheen and buff up the edstone, it's finally time for 'An NHS with time to care'.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,677
    eek said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

OTOH, Netanyahu is doing his best for Trump.

Israel preparing for possible ground offensive in Lebanon, military chief says
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/sep/25/israel-hezbollah-beirut-tel-aviv-lebanon-cross-border-conflict-expands

That’s the concern for Harris . Trump will be telling everyone it would be all lovely and peaceful if he was still President.
    How the actual f*** does that work - Trump has a direct line to the leadership of Hezbollah and could have stopped October 7th?
    It doesn't have to "work".
    This is Trump, candidate. Once he's president, it's irrelevant.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,674
    mercator said:

If you have this bloke who's gay, and this other bloke who spends lots of time including all nighters at the first bloke's flat, there's one, heavily odds-on explanation for this. Very heavily odds on. Can anyone guess what it is yet?

Unrelated fun fact, Oscar Wilde was a married man. With two kids.

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Or has Mercator invented a time machine and transported us all back to 1985?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,150

Somebody is free to correct me but so far everyone who says this is terminal for SKS are the same people that called for him to resign when he had a beer whilst he ate a curry. So their judgment is perhaps not totally impartial.

I agree that the gifts do not look good but surely the solution is to legislate against MPs getting them altogether? The Tories are hardly innocent in this matter either.

What I am not quite understanding is that people are implying SKS is corrupt. But I can't see any evidence of that thus far. The majority of gifts seem to be from a long-term Labour donor and member and I can't see what influence they have bought beyond them supporting the Labour Party.

I predict that this issue will run for some time - but it's not fatal for SKS nor the government. The Tories are about to elect somebody totally irrelevant and who the public dislike. They are still prepared to give Labour the benefit of the doubt based on recent polls and that will all come down to delivery.

People forget that with Partygate it was that the government set rules and then didn't follow them. That isn't the case here as far as I can see. The rules themselves are what seem to stink.

It’s the nature of access and influence that you can’t easily see it. We know that Alli had a Downing Street pass. There no evidence of corruption, as yet, but perceptions are important as is putting yourself in a position where you feel obligated.

And just because something isn’t banned it doesn’t mean that you *should* do it. Taking these gifts was wrong.

The issue here is image and perception.

The interesting thing here to me, and what is telling, is how poorly the government has reacted to it. This is the sort of story that a strong government and PM should be able to bat aside.

The easiest way out was probably an “oops, yes, not our greatest look, we won’t be doing it anymore, let’s move on.”

The other way to do it would be to get the PM to fight it straight on. Either with a Blair/Cameron style “I’m actually a pretty straight kind of guy” disarming charm; or a “this is why I am right and you are wrong to make this an issue, there’s my justification, next question” Thatcher-style response.

I think the government ended up going with a mix of all these approaches and therefore completely messing it up. Starmer seemed to go for a “I haven’t done anything wrong but let me justify it” approach while simultaneously acknowledging why questions needed to be asked and just ended up sounding out of touch and prickly.
    The revelations about the lockdown videos in Alli's flat with the fake family photos take this into a new territory. This is potentially resignation stuff. He was SO heavy on the Tories for Partygate, yet at the same time - during lockdown, during the Queen's Funeral - he was pretending his £18m penthouse in Covent Garden was his humble home in Kentish Town???

That's bad
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    edited September 25

Speaker Mike Johnson is calling on President Zelenskyy to “immediately” fire Ukraine’s ambassador to the US for arranging the Ukrainian president's visit to the “politically contested battleground” Pennsylvania

https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1839022809802014980

Enjoy that tag of "Speaker", Mike. Not going to have it much longer.
    Moscow Mike, surely?
    kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

If you have this bloke who's gay, and this other bloke who spends lots of time including all nighters at the first bloke's flat, there's one, heavily odds-on explanation for this. Very heavily odds on. Can anyone guess what it is yet?

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

All the rumours I have heard, some of them - let us say - from extremely reliable and intimate sources, indicate this is the wrong trail to pursue. But the "rumours" are not unfounded. It;s time for a Naughty Kir Royale
  • Leon said:

Somebody is free to correct me but so far everyone who says this is terminal for SKS are the same people that called for him to resign when he had a beer whilst he ate a curry. So their judgment is perhaps not totally impartial.

I agree that the gifts do not look good but surely the solution is to legislate against MPs getting them altogether? The Tories are hardly innocent in this matter either.

What I am not quite understanding is that people are implying SKS is corrupt. But I can't see any evidence of that thus far. The majority of gifts seem to be from a long-term Labour donor and member and I can't see what influence they have bought beyond them supporting the Labour Party.

I predict that this issue will run for some time - but it's not fatal for SKS nor the government. The Tories are about to elect somebody totally irrelevant and who the public dislike. They are still prepared to give Labour the benefit of the doubt based on recent polls and that will all come down to delivery.

People forget that with Partygate it was that the government set rules and then didn't follow them. That isn't the case here as far as I can see. The rules themselves are what seem to stink.

It’s the nature of access and influence that you can’t easily see it. We know that Alli had a Downing Street pass. There no evidence of corruption, as yet, but perceptions are important as is putting yourself in a position where you feel obligated.

And just because something isn’t banned it doesn’t mean that you *should* do it. Taking these gifts was wrong.

The issue here is image and perception.

The interesting thing here to me, and what is telling, is how poorly the government has reacted to it. This is the sort of story that a strong government and PM should be able to bat aside.

The easiest way out was probably an “oops, yes, not our greatest look, we won’t be doing it anymore, let’s move on.”

The other way to do it would be to get the PM to fight it straight on. Either with a Blair/Cameron style “I’m actually a pretty straight kind of guy” disarming charm; or a “this is why I am right and you are wrong to make this an issue, there’s my justification, next question” Thatcher-style response.

I think the government ended up going with a mix of all these approaches and therefore completely messing it up. Starmer seemed to go for a “I haven’t done anything wrong but let me justify it” approach while simultaneously acknowledging why questions needed to be asked and just ended up sounding out of touch and prickly.
    The revelations about the lockdown videos in Alli's flat with the fake family photos take this into a new territory. This is potentially resignation stuff. He was SO heavy on the Tories for Partygate, yet at the same time - during lockdown, during the Queen's Funeral - he was pretending his £18m penthouse in Covent Garden was his humble home in Kentish Town???

That's bad
    “Prince Philip’s funeral” I think you meant.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,581

Speaker Mike Johnson is calling on President Zelenskyy to “immediately” fire Ukraine’s ambassador to the US for arranging the Ukrainian president's visit to the “politically contested battleground” Pennsylvania

Enjoy that tag of "Speaker", Mike. Not going to have it much longer.
    Has anyone so dumb ever been a speaker?
  • kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

It’s the infidelity that might be a problem: “who does he think he is, Boris Johnson?”
    There are times when I feel sympathy with Leon's views on English weather.

Such as when I have to put the heating on in September because it's wet, cold and miserable.

And that's a Welshman saying the weather's shit. That's how bad it is.
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815
    kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Mate, if it weren't for the Sexual Offences Act 1967 I would now be corresponding with you from HMP Portland, so take your pretendy liberalism on the subject and insert somewhere maximally helioprotected, ok?

Honesty panic in 2024.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,232
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

You are almost certainly right, but perhaps this is one of those many cases where the famous dictum “whatever does not kill me makes me stronger” is not true. He will be weakened by it, even if only slightly.

Yes and no.

If the endgame here is a tightening up of the rules on freebies for MPs, that will generally hurt the right more than the left (that's mostly where the money is) and the opposition more than the government (they need cash and perks more and aren't currently subject to ministerial codes.)

When the dust settles, it's what I'd recommend.

Which is why smarter Tories aren't going anywhere near the story. See Badenoch's response, and she'd normally be well up for a fight.
    Not many "smarter Tories" on PB then.
    We’re not fucking MPs you stupid dork
    Gosh that's quite the response to a bit of banter.

You OK chicken?
    Happity doody, just feeling quite feisty

Two gin and tonics into the evening, making a laksa (my favourite cook-at-home meal), arranging drinks with a friend tomorrow, got a function at the weekend, daughters doing OK at Uni and Ozzie A Levels, got travel next week to multiple interesting places

A good moment. And now Labour collapsing all over the shop and the PB lefties weeping and asking us not to "destabilise the realm"

lololol!

Yes. I'm in a good mood, in a sometimes dark world
    Not sounding it but ok good to hear. It's just all coming over a bit intense. Slightly weird and unbalanced.

Omnium is hardly a PB leftie btw. Or if he is we have a problem.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,031
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

You are almost certainly right, but perhaps this is one of those many cases where the famous dictum “whatever does not kill me makes me stronger” is not true. He will be weakened by it, even if only slightly.

Unless there is a smoking gun, like he has broken COVID rules, it will blow over, but his image of man of principle, country over party, I am not in this for personal enrichment is trashed. He is now in the pigsty with all the others, when his USP was I might be boring, but I am upstanding, you can trust me.

Luckily for him, the Tories will pick a no-mark or a nutter.
    And Farage waits. Smiling
    The risk for Labour is that they find themselves caught in a pincer moment where the red wall collapses to Reform and the Tories make enough of a modest recovery to win back some of the blue wall/small town marginals.

That probably results in a hideously hung parliament.
    My feeling is that labour are going to be a one term government and at the next election they will be seen the same as the tories were last election. However I also expect the tories not to have recovered by the next election. I suspect a lot of voters going reform/green/libdem and the lab and con getting around 25% each.....will make for interesting times
    The condition are right for an epoch change. No party has a significant degree of real whole hearted support from the ordinary public. Labour could (too early to tell) join the Tories in the 'currently unelectable' bin. Combined Con/Lab support has dropped quickly (since 2017) from +80% to just over 50% (54 at the moment). If this falls further the story becomes self generating and self fulfilling.

Obviously all possibles are on the table, including Lab/Con recovery to the old position, the most probable but well short of certain.

But the two most likely alternatives are: a more European model, with multiple parties never getting a majority on their own, despite FPTP. And a new contest for dominance between Reform and LDs, which would be odd to say the least, but strangely they both seem up for it. Horrors.
  • With respect to flash flood warnings for mountains of North Carolina as a result of Hurricane Helene currently in the Gulf of Mexico, aside from staying alert to weather bulletins AND local conditions, perhaps best advice is to AVOID LOW(ER) LANDS. Such as creek and river bottoms.

In my own one & only personal experience with flash flooding (one is more than enough) was personally safe and sound, because when the skies opened (like being inside a massive car wash for about 15 minutes) I was safe in a house on a hill . . . and so was my rental car!

However the people who lived in a house further down where a small "run" entered a small creek; except that the runoff from mega-rainstorm turned both into raging torents for a short but devasting period. They were safe in the top story of their two-story house, but the downstairs was totally flooded (and thus ruined) along with their vehicles.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,689
    mercator said:

I'm quite annoyed that there isn't a "within the rules" skiing discipline

Skeir would win olympic gold at that

He's looking ok in the downhill and off piste disciplines
    Off Piste Skier.

Pissed Off OAPs
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

All the rumours I have heard, some of them - let us say - from extremely reliable and intimate sources, indicate this is the wrong trail to pursue. But the "rumours" are not unfounded. It;s time for a Naughty Kir Royale
    Honestly, if Starmer was secretly doing a Mark Oaten or Keith Vazeline, it would probably improve my perception of the bland bastard. If he was a regular at swingers clubs. Or spanking emporiums. At least we'd be being governed by someone who's lived a little. Rather than someone who wants to ban smoking in pub gardens and limit us all to 2/3rds of a pint.

The only real sin in this life is being a boring prude...
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

If the endgame here is a tightening up of the rules on freebies for MPs, that will generally hurt the right more than the left (that's mostly where the money is) and the opposition more than the government (they need cash and perks more and aren't currently subject to ministerial codes.)

Which is why smarter Tories aren't going anywhere near the story. See Badenoch's response, and she'd normally be well up for a fight.

You OK chicken?

Two gin and tonics into the evening, making a laksa (my favourite cook-at-home meal), arranging drinks with a friend tomorrow, got a function at the weekend, daughters doing OK at Uni and Ozzie A Levels, got travel next week to multiple interesting places

A good moment. And now Labour collapsing all over the shop and the PB lefties weeping and asking us not to "destabilise the realm"

lololol!

Since you've decided Labour is collapsing, I think we can all be confident they will be in office for the next 10 years at least. Best try to get used to it.

Seriously though, the upcoming budget is key to everything.
  • algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Unless there is a smoking gun, like he has broken COVID rules, it will blow over, but his image of man of principle, country over party, I am not in this for personal enrichment is trashed. He is now in the pigsty with all the others, when his USP was I might be boring, but I am upstanding, you can trust me.

Luckily for him, the Tories will pick a no-mark or a nutter.
    And Farage waits. Smiling
    The risk for Labour is that they find themselves caught in a pincer moment where the red wall collapses to Reform and the Tories make enough of a modest recovery to win back some of the blue wall/small town marginals.

That probably results in a hideously hung parliament.
    My feeling is that labour are going to be a one term government and at the next election they will be seen the same as the tories were last election. However I also expect the tories not to have recovered by the next election. I suspect a lot of voters going reform/green/libdem and the lab and con getting around 25% each.....will make for interesting times
    The condition are right for an epoch change. No party has a significant degree of real whole hearted support from the ordinary public. Labour could (too early to tell) join the Tories in the 'currently unelectable' bin. Combined Con/Lab support has dropped quickly (since 2017) from +80% to just over 50% (54 at the moment). If this falls further the story becomes self generating and self fulfilling.

Obviously all possibles are on the table, including Lab/Con recovery to the old position, the most probable but well short of certain.

But the two most likely alternatives are: a more European model, with multiple parties never getting a majority on their own, despite FPTP. And a new contest for dominance between Reform and LDs, which would be odd to say the least, but strangely they both seem up for it. Horrors.
    Multiple parties, none of which can get elected on their own, rather defeats the one good thing about FPTP. In the event of a multi party coalition next time I think some sort of PR would almost certainly follow.

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

Since you've decided Labour is collapsing, I think we can all be confident they will be in office for the next 10 years at least. Best try to get used to it.

So is the upcoming heat death of the universe, for some value of "upcoming".
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,098
    Sir Sheer Wanker.

Lol.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,502
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Honestly, if Starmer was secretly doing a Mark Oaten or Keith Vazeline, it would probably improve my perception of the bland bastard. If he was a regular at swingers clubs. Or spanking emporiums. At least we'd be being governed by someone who's lived a little. Rather than someone who wants to ban smoking in pub gardens and limit us all to 2/3rds of a pint.

We had all that but you joyless bastards out there squeaked at her cutting tax and that was that

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

The signs are there that it's going to be pork (sausages) all round. This Government has burned through what little capital it had for 'tough decisions'.
  • kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Everyone thought John Major was boring as well…

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Everyone thought John Major was boring as well…
    Apparently he was like Sir Keir in that he liked a bland Currie.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

Not sounding it but ok good to hear. It's just all coming over a bit intense. Slightly weird and unbalanced.

Omnium is hardly a PB leftie btw. Or if he is we have a problem.
    I ALWAYS sound weird and unbalanced, just as you always sound effete and obscurely class-conscious
    mercator said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

Bizarre post. For the avoidance of doubt, the budget on 30 October 2024 is key to the success or failure of this government. Imo.

ohnotnow said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

My only defence of Starmer - it’s not much, I can’t stand the bloke - is that this feels like a co-ordinated assassination. I go back to the repeated and weird attacks from the Guardian, who give him no succour at all - and are often the most vicious

I wonder if the gov is resisting something media-y - perhaps they've said no to a Channel 4 bailout?
    Or potentially they've known Keir is risky for a long time and want him briskly dispatched now the majority is in the bag, for someone with less issues?

It seems unlikely though. I suggest they're just doing a bit of journalism now that there's no immediate risk of a Tory Government being elected.
    Don't even joke.
    Got a nice bet on him as next Labour leader, so...
    mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Mate, if it weren't for the Sexual Offences Act 1967 I would now be corresponding with you from HMP Portland, so take your pretendy liberalism on the subject and insert somewhere maximally helioprotected, ok?

Honesty panic in 2024.
    So you're a bitchy old queen rather than a geriatric homophobe. That makes a lot of sense, actually, if you are who certain others have alleged...

I certainly won't sit in judgement - apologies for misjudging you.
  • mercator said:

I'm quite annoyed that there isn't a "within the rules" skiing discipline

Skeir would win olympic gold at that

He's looking ok in the downhill and off piste disciplines
    "I'd rather have 'em on the downhill piste-ing out, than on the uphill piste-ing in." - Lady Bird Johnson

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

And it's going to be fucking shit, and might destroy confidence in the country.

Zero faith in this government to get it right.

Johnson is an utter dick.
    And incompetent to boot.
  • mercator said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

Bizarre post. For the avoidance of doubt, the budget on 30 October 2024 is key to the success or failure of this government. Imo.
    With the important caveat that the initial reception won't tell us much. Or even the "two weeks later" reception.
    Speaking of this two thirds of a pint shit. Some time ago, I had the idea of a voluntary scheme to subsidise pubs to INCREASE the size of a pint, and a wine glass, but filling the extra 5th with a free lemonade top. This would mean more diluted drinks and slower alcohol consumption. I christened it the superpint. It would achieve the same as this pathetic Starmer-esque scheme to nick part of peoples' pints for their supposed benefit.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

I wonder if this is why Starmer claims that he never dreams. Admitting to dreams would mean admitting to a subconscious, which would mean admitting to hidden fears and desires...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,551
    Reuters/IPSOS today has Harris 7% clear of Trump
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,938
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

The business about a pint being too much puzzled me. In my youth it was common to come across men who would regularly drink 5 or more pints in an evening pub session. If a pint is too big, there's always the half pint.

mercator said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

Not really. Either we have a large and urgent problem, or we have one which can wait on the back burner for 4 months, election to budget. Choose one.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,441
    "Having known him for so long, I know (for example) that he first declared his ambition to edit The Spectator in an Aberdeen classroom at the age of seven. Now, aged 57, he has made it."

Fraser Nelson on Mikey Gove.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/michael-gove-is-the-new-editor-of-the-spectator/
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,416

Speaking of this two thirds of a pint shit. Some time ago, I had the idea of a voluntary scheme to subsidise pubs to INCREASE the size of a pint, and a wine glass, but filling the extra 5th with a free lemonade top. This would mean more diluted drinks and slower alcohol consumption. I christened it the superpint. It would achieve the same as this pathetic Starmer-esque scheme to nick part of peoples' pints for their supposed benefit.

What's this about two-thirds of a pint? What merry hell is this?

I'd hope Britain would sooner see full pints in bottled beer, than a shrinkage in pubs.
    AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

The business about a pint being too much puzzled me. In my youth it was common to come across men who would regularly drink 5 or more pints in an evening pub session. If a pint is too big, there's always the half pint.
    One New Year's Eve in Hereford I drank 13 pints. It was five months before my A Levels

13 fucking pints. What was I on? I was clearly indestructible (a theory I tested to, er, destruction, for many years after)

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

And that's an unsurprising view for you to hold. If it turns out to be true you'll quite rightly say I told you so.

Unfortunately though, you'll be saying 'I told you so' even when the budget is successful.

Jared Kushner got $2 billion from Saudi Arabia just months after leaving the White House.

New reports show that he pocketed $115 million in fees - but his “investment fund” has delivered no profits. ..

https://x.com/RepRobertGarcia/status/1838988106617573583
  • Sir Sheer Wanker.

Lol.

While (perhaps) unnecessarily cutting, that juel crest is worthy of Hoobert Heever AND the Rev. Spooner.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,720
    edited September 25
    Nigelb said:

Jared Kushner got $2 billion from Saudi Arabia just months after leaving the White House.

New reports show that he pocketed $115 million in fees - but his “investment fund” has delivered no profits. ..

Yeah, but did he get any free specs?
    mercator said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

Not really. Either we have a large and urgent problem, or we have one which can wait on the back burner for 4 months, election to budget. Choose one.
    I choose: We have a very large problem but one incurred, and to be resolved, on the scale of years not days.

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

And that's an unsurprising view for you to hold. If it turns out to be true you'll quite rightly say I told you so.

Unfortunately though, you'll be saying 'I told you so' even when the budget is successful.

How can it be.... successful? This is blatantly a government with zero ideas. They are managers, not innovators. Seriously, what about Reeves and Starmer, the straight man and the straight man of comedy British politics, makes you think they have good new ideas?!

They have none

The Budget will confirm various horrors and make vague unfounded promises of a brighter future. That's it
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,416

I'd hope Britain would sooner see full pints in bottled beer, than a shrinkage in pubs.
    Oh, it's only Cambridge University academics causing trouble again. The scamps.

ohnotnow said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Don't even joke.
    I don't think even Labour are that stupid. They'll need to ditch his loony energy scheme fairly soonish - they won't be able to do that with him in No. 10.

I think it might want to be Cooper really. Possibly Reeves. She looks so nice in her photo here: https://labour.org.uk/about-us/the-cabinet/ - don't know why she decided to start channeling Morticia Addams.
  • My I suggest, that using the PM's latest gaffe to good-ish use, we PBers hearafter resolve to communicate any common/personal abuse to any other PBer, in the form of a spoonerism.

For example, instead of yelling at a "bitchy old queen" hurl ones aspersions at a "quitchy old bean".

Bound to take some of the edge off!
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

How can it be.... successful? This is blatantly a government with zero ideas. They are managers, not innovators. Seriously, what about Reeves and Starmer, the straight man and the straight man of comedy British politics, makes you think they have good new ideas?!

They have none

The Budget will confirm various horrors and make vague unfounded promises of a brighter future. That's it
    We'll see. Not long to wait.

ohnotnow said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Don't even joke.
    I don't think even Labour are that stupid. They'll need to ditch his loony energy scheme fairly soonish - they won't be able to do that with him in No. 10.

I think it might want to be Cooper really. Possibly Reeves. She looks so nice in her photo here: https://labour.org.uk/about-us/the-cabinet/ - don't know why she decided to start channeling Morticia Addams.
    Cooper has been oddly inept. But so has Reeves. And Lammy. Jeez

Fuck knows who might take over if this topples Sir Sheer Wanker

I reckon Cooper on the basis she not insane or a mad shagger/secret gayer
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Don't even joke.

And had been a Minister before this shambles.

Then draft in all the old (New) Labour lags to run the show - a la Lord Cameron coming in to run the Sunak Government.

And if they get really desperate, do a 'National Government of all the talents' and grab people like Hunt and Cleverly for junior roles to bulk out the roster.

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

They have none

Feel free to make your predix

This is not meant in a hostile way, I genuinely cannot think of a brilliant new policy that Labour can wheel out. If you can, do please tell, it would cheer me up (politically; personally I am feeling benign)

The more I ponder our fate, the more I think Truss was probably right. She just fucked up the process MONUMENTALLY, and did it at the wrong time of the electoral cycle
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,238

I went to one of those 'Flat Iron' pubs a while ago and discovered that they serve draught beer in smaller measures - but not at smaller prices. I've never been back ...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,689

Oh, it's only Cambridge University academics causing trouble again. The scamps.
    Doing Russki bidding again?
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,264
    edited September 25
    AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Knew a guy at university who claimed to average eight pints of Guinness a night during his second year, while helping run the college bar (at the time on of the few student run bars left in the university). I believed him.

mercator said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

With the important caveat that the initial reception won't tell us much. Or even the "two weeks later" reception.
    And two months, years, and decades later it will still be too early to tell.

Let me help you by telling you a lot on D minus 35 day: it's going to be the dampest squib since 1605. And even if it wasn't, how lazy and stupid and indecisive do you have to be to paralyze the nation and halve your own tax grab by sitting on your arse for four months?

My I suggest, that using the PM's latest gaffe to good-ish use, we PBers hearafter resolve to communicate any common/personal abuse to any other PBer, in the form of a spoonerism.

For example, instead of yelling at a "bitchy old queen" hurl ones aspersions at a "quitchy old bean".

You silly sod.

- Doh!
  • Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Don't even joke.

You're forgetting Streeting who is the joint favourite with Reeves:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-labour-leader

Ed is 100/1 so we are hopefully safe (his brother is shorter odds despite not being an MP)
  • My I suggest, that using the PM's latest gaffe to good-ish use, we PBers hearafter resolve to communicate any common/personal abuse to any other PBer, in the form of a spoonerism.

Ironically, one of the classic original Spoonerisms was ‘Queer old Dean” for “Dear old Queen”…
    Please, Conservative party and speaking as a member and a former MP layoff the Prime Minister’s children grow up
    This pathetic war on dresses and children just shows that you have nothing else to say. I am ashamed.

https://x.com/NSoames/status/1839015351490912280
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,441
    Leon said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

One New Year's Eve in Hereford I drank 13 pints. It was five months before my A Levels

13 fucking pints. What was I on? I was clearly indestructible (a theory I tested to, er, destruction, for many years after)
    Beer is generally stronger than it used to be. Tastes change. I'm not saying in your particular case but the general 'when I was a youth, they'd be men in t'pub who always drank eight pints after the shift at factory' etc were drinking beers at 3.5% or thereabouts. Rehydrating and getting calories down quickly was important.

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,870
    edited September 25
    AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Habits have changed and people drink stronger stuff than they used to.

Someone flagged my last post about 2/3rd pint - or the "schooner". I genuinely, fervently consider this the perfect volume for your 6% IPA. You savour it a little more, there is a natural break when you rejoin the queue at the bar, you don't overtake your gin and wine drinking friends. Gives you a chance to try out some of the other beers too.

I'm no prude. I would slash duty in pubs and make the UK merry again (but ban sale of alcohol in supermarkets. Off to the bottleshop instead if you insist on drinking at home).
  • Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Yeah, but did he get any free specs?
    Naw.

However, the REAL question is - did Jared Kushner's "investment fund" give out any free toasters?
  • Leon said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Beer is generally stronger than it used to be. Tastes change. I'm not saying in your particular case but the general 'when I was a youth, they'd be men in t'pub who always drank eight pints after the shift at factory' etc were drinking beers at 3.5% or thereabouts. Rehydrating and getting calories down quickly was important.

Belgian beer is best drunk in 250ml glasses for that reason.
    Nigelb said:

Please, Conservative party and speaking as a member and a former MP layoff the Prime Minister’s children grow up
    This pathetic war on dresses and children just shows that you have nothing else to say. I am ashamed.

Hahaha - always good when people show where their true loyalties lie.

'War on dresses and children' - love it. He forgot to mention the 'war on football enjoyment', the 'war on holidays' and the 'war on the partially-sighted' that the vile Tories have been waging, for shame.
    At this season my thoughts often turn to the incomparable Bashō, master of the haiku:

Twere warmer ere Starmer.
    Ripe apples, ground frosts,
    Many gifts. No budget.
  • Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

How many MPs have you fucked?
  • Nigelb said:

'War on dresses and children' - love it. He forgot to mention the 'war on football enjoyment', the 'war on holidays' and the 'war on the partially-sighted' that the vile Tories have been waging, for shame.
    It's a slightly weird comment as it doesn't seem to have been the Conservatives driving this in the main but the press

Nigelb said:

Inherited his grandfather's thirst, but not a lot else.
    edited September 25
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

They have none

This is not meant in a hostile way, I genuinely cannot think of a brilliant new policy that Labour can wheel out. If you can, do please tell, it would cheer me up (politically; personally I am feeling benign)

The more I ponder our fate, the more I think Truss was probably right. She just fucked up the process MONUMENTALLY, and did it at the wrong time of the electoral cycle
    Well, I know what I'd like them to do but I'm not confident they'll have the balls to do it:

1. Increase taxation levels to northern European levels to reduce improve public services, invest in infrastructure and reduce the deficit.
    2. Those additional taxes to be targeted at unearned income and wealth (includes me) rather than the working population.
    3. Aggressively attack benefit and government contract fraud.
    4. Attack the black economy (banning cash would do it - only joking).

Ironically, one of the classic original Spoonerisms was ‘Queer old Dean” for “Dear old Queen”…
    Mary Hinge.
  • Nigelb said:

So which Conservatives is he talking about? I thought it was mostly hoi polloi such as reside on here that were discussing it.
    edited September 25
    Eabhal said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Someone flagged my last post about 2/3rd pint - or the "schooner". I genuinely, fervently consider this the perfect volume for your 6% IPA. You savour it a little more, there is a natural break when you rejoin the queue at the bar, you don't overtake your gin and wine drinking friends. Gives you a chance to try out some of the other beers too.

I'm no prude. I would slash duty in pubs and make the UK merry again (but ban sale of alcohol in supermarkets. Off to the bottleshop instead if you insist on drinking at home).
    I'm an ignoramus where alcohol is concerned. I enjoy a small Tio Pepe on Christmas day if I remember but alcohol just isn't on my horizon at all. In a party it's usually a soft drink.

ETA that's interesting about the comparative strength.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,365
    This is the actual axe from the Shining. I might steal it if everyone at the dinner gets pissed enough.
    On the subject of beer. Went out for a nice meal at a local gastro pub, I had a pint of Butcombe, lovely. Mrs P had a glass of rosé, which she enjoyed.

The bill came: beer £4.20, wine £12.50. Wtaf?
    edited September 25
    AnneJGP said:

Eabhal said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

I'm an ignoramus where alcohol is concerned. I enjoy a small Tio Pepe on Christmas day if I remember but alcohol just isn't on my horizon at all. In a party it's usually a soft drink.

OTOH it's good to have you back @AnneJGP

With @Heathener sadly but understandably shunning the Misogynist Centrist Dads we desperately need female voices. Please stick around
    kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Honesty panic in 2024.
    So you're a bitchy old queen rather than a geriatric homophobe. That makes a lot of sense, actually, if you are who certain others have alleged...

Jesus wept. "Bitchy old queen" in 2024.

Jesus wept.

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

One. I leave you to guess who
    Leon said:

AnneJGP said:

Eabhal said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

OTOH it's good to have you back @AnneJGP

With @Heathener sadly but understandably shunning the Misognyist Centrist Dads we desperately need female voices. Please stick around
    Thank you.
    boulay said:

This is the actual axe from the Shining. I might steal it if everyone at the dinner gets pissed enough.

Looks like someone got there before you tbh.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

They have none

Well, I know what I'd like them to do but I'm not confident they'll have the balls to do it:

1. Increase taxation levels to northern European levels to reduce improve public services, invest in infrastructure and reduce the deficit.
    2. Those additional taxes to be targeted at unearned income and wealth (includes me) rather than the working population.
    The problem is how you increase taxes in a knowledge economy where people are globally mobile. It's less about non doms with millions, and more about twenty somethings saddled with 50k of student debt, an effective 50%+ tax rate, and 2k a month to live in a grotty houseshare going, sod this, I'll move to Dubai and pay bugger all.

Culturally in the UK, people are just not prepared to pay Scandi levels of tax to achieve a social democrat style society. People pay lip service to wanting better NHS services, a fairer society, etc. But when it comes down to it, nobody wants to put their hand in their pocket. So you get government after government paying lip service to the idea while delivering nothing.

Meanwhile the economy continues to stagnate.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,037
    edited September 25

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

Nick Palmer never said who his beast with three backs was with. Just sayin' :)
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,265

On the subject of beer. Went out for a nice meal at a local gastro pub, I had a pint of Butcombe, lovely. Mrs P had a glass of rosé, which she enjoyed.

Promise me it was 250ml
    mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Honesty panic in 2024.

Jesus wept.
    Jesus wept. In 2024.

Cor blimey.

Leon said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Yes, I am sure that is true

No way even as a strapping 17 year old lad I could drink 13 pints of 5.3% beer

Probably it was shite 3.7% Carling Black Label. Still an impressive amount, tho...
    carnforth said:

Promise me it was 250ml
    It was. But still.
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

Nick Palmer never said who his beast with three backs was with. Just sayin' :)
    Nicholas Soames could have filled the entire back quotient himself.
    mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Honesty panic in 2024.

Jesus wept.
    *blows you a kiss*
  • kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

They have none

The problem is how you increase taxes in a knowledge economy where people are globally mobile. It's less about non doms with millions, and more about twenty somethings saddled with 50k of student debt, an effective 50%+ tax rate, and 2k a month to live in a grotty houseshare going, sod this, I'll move to Dubai and pay bugger all.

Culturally in the UK, people are just not prepared to pay Scandi levels of tax to achieve a social democrat style society. People pay lip service to wanting better NHS services, a fairer society, etc. But when it comes down to it, nobody wants to put their hand in their pocket. So you get government after government paying lip service to the idea while delivering nothing.

And on the subject of non doms this from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/sep/25/labour-crackdown-on-non-doms-may-raise-no-money-officials-fear?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

They have none

Well fortunately I'm not CoE so don't have to come up with all the answers.

But my answer to that one is a UK FATCA with low exemption levels.

(Those traitors who value 'a few extra £m they will never be able to spend anyway' over being British can fuck right off.)
    kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Honesty panic in 2024.

Jesus wept.
    *blows you a kiss*
    Only language these faggots understand. 💯
    edited September 25
    Leon said:

Leon said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Yes, I am sure that is true

No way even as a strapping 17 year old lad I could drink 13 pints of 5.3% beer

Probably it was shite 3.7% Carling Black Label. Still an impressive amount, tho...
    I prefer <4% beers myself - much more enjoyable. And also enjoy much moreable.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,003

Leon said:

AnneJGP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

My most heroic drinking session - aged about 20 - involved 6 pints of Old Rosie and 6 pints of a one-off 7% real ale, a feat which I celebrated with *cough* an improbably successfully executed intimate encounter, and no hangover whatsoever.
    I have drunk more by volume, and probably more by alcohol content. But never quite so heroically.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,502
    Nigelb said:

Spoken like a true trougher
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Yes and no.

You OK chicken?

lololol!

They have none

And on the subject of non doms this from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/sep/25/labour-crackdown-on-non-doms-may-raise-no-money-officials-fear?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    Yep. Lots of similar coverage in the FT, which I tend to trust.

The trouble is we still think we're a global power, when really we're a second order economy heavily based on financial services, land banking, and tax exile for the plutocrats of other states. Like it or not, those people are heavy contributors to the treasury, and we force them out at our peril.

It will be a fairer society with them gone, but also a poorer society.

But see also my post below about the twenty somethings saddled with debt going sod this and moving to Dubai. Long term, I'm less worried about the non doms leaving, and more about a brain drain of Brits who see the country as cooked, the property ladder as a ponzi scheme, and realise the grass is greener elsewhere. That is the real danger. People giving up on the UK, turning us all into a kind of greater Eastbourne.
    Eastbourne's quite nice.

(Joking)
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,425
    kyf_100 said:

mercator said:

#justsaying

Gay panic... in 2024?

Yeah, we seem to have segued tonight from frivolous PB Tory hay-making to crass, nasty garden-variety homophobia. Yuk.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,898
    Change the system re donations seems a sensible thing to do. The hysterical reaction by some though to Starmer and co re gifts seems to assume that we’ve all had amnesia and have forgotten what went on during the Bozo clown show .

I’m not a fan of Starmer but really you’d think he shot Bambi given some of the comments in here .

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,332
    edited September 25
    In recent years, due to Sunak's changes in duty, pretty much all the major brands of beers have reduced their ABV to around 4.5%. Obviously you craft beers, particularly the NEIPA, DIPAs, etc are still much stronger.