Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

State of the Union – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

Great result for Jack Draper - could he go all the way? Alcaraz is out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/articles/cj62pwer4n2o

Was Draper Player of the Match?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    edited September 2

Nunu5 said:

Elon Musk is quote tweeting far right accounts again, this time implying there is a conspiracy to burn churches across France. The man has become very dangerous.

Why is that dangerous?
    Was it dangerous when people were tweeting that the Southport attacker was a Muslim illegal immigrant?
    That was misinformation, but it's true that there has been a spate of attacks on French churches and synagogues.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/france/article/2023/03/30/french-court-jails-man-who-set-fire-to-nantes-cathedral_6021174_7.html

A French court on Wednesday, March 29, handed a four-year jail term to an arsonist for starting a fire that severely damaged a Gothic cathedral in the city of Nantes in 2020. Emmanuel Abayisenga, a 42-year-old Rwandan, is also facing legal action for a separate incident in which he allegedly killed a priest in western France in 2021.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20240828-two-men-charged-over-synagogue-arson-attack-in-france

Two suspects involved in an arson attack on a synagogue near the seaside resort of La Grande Motte in southern France last week were charged late Wednesday and will stay in custody, prosecutors said. The main suspect expressed deep hatred of Jews and said he had acted “in support of the Palestinian cause", according to prosecutors.

The main suspect, a 33-year-old Algerian identified as "EHK", was charged with attempted terrorist murder committed on the grounds of race or religion and for criminal terrorism association, according to France's National Anti-Terrorism Prosecutor's Office (PNAT).
  • algarkirk said:

Driver said:

I think it is more likely that Michael Stone is innocent than Lucy Letby. But he is not a photogenic young female.

I haven’t seen enough evidence to prove that Lucy Letby is innocent. I think there’s enough evidence to commission an enquiry about corporate neglect in the Countess of Chester hospital.
    Of course, the legal system doesn't require proof that she's innocent - just a reasonable doubt.
    There isn't reasonable doubt. She was the only one on the ward when all the deaths occurred, she insisted relatives absent themselves on several occassions very near when they passed away, most died from air being administered, and she wrote a harrowing self-confession about it all.

She's mentally ill/psychopathic, and it can happen to attractive young women too.

The corporate neglect is definitely a thing too because the Trust decided to slap about any doctors who raised concerns, rather than investigate.
    Not ALL the deaths on the ward though. There were others that didn’t make it onto the incriminating chart. There are serious statistical issues around the slam dunk of ‘she was the only one present for all the deaths’, not least that those deaths are a cherry pick of ALL deaths on the ward.
    There aren't, because it was of suspicious deaths only and the probability of so many happening 'by chance' when she was around run to one in several billion.

This is one of those things that will absorb a huge amount of time and energy to argue with those who are convinced otherwise, who will never change their minds.
    Someone else used extremely high odds of an event happening to wrongfully convict Sally Clark.
    I do not know if Letby is guilty or innocent, but I do think she was let down by her defence team, and the statistics used against her MAY be flawed, as has been suggested by better statisticians than me.
    The suggestion Letby was let down by the defence is an entirely unwarranted assertion. There just isn't the information available to the public to enable that sort of judgment to be made. Nor are they in a position to defend themselves because of privilege.

What Letby (for whom, I feel a great sadness, as I don't think she can be sane in any normal sense of the term) has not done is sack her team and appoint another either for the appeal or the retrial. If she were genuinely innocent, and if she knew there was exculpatory expert material they had declined to use, and good fresh evidence they had negligently not obtained she would in the circumstances already have done so.
    Nurses are not known for their expertise in probability and statistics, or law. Nor are lawyers. And so far as the appeal goes, it is too late anyway because unused evidence is not the same as fresh evidence.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Focus group of voters in seats the Tories lost by More in Common for the Independent. Not much name recognition apart from Priti Patel.

'The least well known, former work and pensions secretary Mel Stride, who is favourite to be the first voted out on Wednesday, and was described as “dull” and “quite boring” with “a lack of real spark” by participants.

But the survey also found that ordinary voters strongly liked Mr Stride’s voice which many described as “being like David Attenborough” with some suggesting he had more of a future reading audiobooks than in politics.

While Dame Priti was the most recognised, this did not always work in her favour. Some remembered her for bullying allegations during her time as home secretary, others called her “divisive”.However, her reputation for straight talking and direct style was liked by participants...The candidate whose personality was most liked was Mr Cleverly, but many participants struggled to take him seriously..Meanwhile, Ms Badenoch was the one who was most likely to get both Reform and Lib Dem voters to switch back to the Tories.

A charity worker said: “She could bring some new fresh, young blood, slightly different to your typical public school boy Conservative leader.”

However, despite being in the cabinet her experience came under question. Others described her as “lacking in charisma” and “monotone” in her delivery..The candidate for the right has become former communities secretary Robert Jenrick, who has vowed to take the UK out of the European Convention of Human Rights (ECHR).

An engineer from Stockton said: “It felt like you could rely on him to deliver those things. It was the language he was using I thought was good.”But another participant said: “I quite like the policies of Robert Jenrick, but he didn’t come across as a likeable person who’s going to unite any party .”

The sixth candidate is former security minister Tom Tugendhat who, like Mr Cleverly, won support because he is a former army officer and was seen as coming across as the “most prime ministerial”.But others thought him “too posh”.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-candidates-kemi-badenoch-b2605745.html

This obsession with taking the UK out of the ECHR . It’s viewed as some panacea but opens up a host of other problems. At least Badenoch didn’t jump on this bandwagon.
    The potential benefits all seem rather vague to me, or focused on some very singular complaint. I don't think enough people have enough knowledge or awareness of the ECHR for it to make for an effective bogeyman or cause of all our ills.
    Eabhal said:

I'm watching an excellent speech from Biden. Seriously good (so far): https://x.com/JoeBiden/status/1830721357467824506

What a shame he had to pull out - this version beats Trump again.

Was he as bad as that period ahead of his being forced out made him look? No. But he had those days and the chances of more to come, he did not have 4 more years in him. Had to be done.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    edited September 2

Nunu5 said:

Elon Musk is quote tweeting far right accounts again, this time implying there is a conspiracy to burn churches across France. The man has become very dangerous.

Why is that dangerous?
    Was it dangerous when people were tweeting that the Southport attacker was a Muslim illegal immigrant?
    Fairly dangerous, but I don't see what that has to do with far right accounts, given the origin of the rumour.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/pakistani-southport-rotherham-pakistan-muslim-b1177699.html

What I asked was why Musk's retweets about French Churches are dangerous.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

Nunu5 said:

Why is that dangerous?
    That was misinformation, but it's true that there has been a spate of attacks on French churches and synagogues.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/france/article/2023/03/30/french-court-jails-man-who-set-fire-to-nantes-cathedral_6021174_7.html

A French court on Wednesday, March 29, handed a four-year jail term to an arsonist for starting a fire that severely damaged a Gothic cathedral in the city of Nantes in 2020. Emmanuel Abayisenga, a 42-year-old Rwandan, is also facing legal action for a separate incident in which he allegedly killed a priest in western France in 2021.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20240828-two-men-charged-over-synagogue-arson-attack-in-france

Two suspects involved in an arson attack on a synagogue near the seaside resort of La Grande Motte in southern France last week were charged late Wednesday and will stay in custody, prosecutors said. The main suspect expressed deep hatred of Jews and said he had acted “in support of the Palestinian cause", according to prosecutors.

The main suspect, a 33-year-old Algerian identified as "EHK", was charged with attempted terrorist murder committed on the grounds of race or religion and for criminal terrorism association, according to France's National Anti-Terrorism Prosecutor's Office (PNAT).
    Well, you offer one arson attack on a church in 2020 and an unrelated attack on a synagogue (which is not a church). Unless you’ve got a lot more examples up your sleeve, that is not a “conspiracy to burn churches”.

We have plenty of experience with far right Twitter accounts. They pump out misinformation and this looks like more misinformation. You know, like believing in Ukrainian bioweapon labs.

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I am in Brighton for the RSS Conference. The weather is terrible: damp and wet. The conference is fun. There's a reception drinks do later. I shall get squiffy and embarrass myself... 😃

Just don't do the white eared elephant impression.
    I shall stick to the classics: incoherent ranting, saying "I read your stuff" or "I know you! You interviewed me!", finishing off with singing badly and loudly. I don't drink so much these days so vom is not on the schedule: literally and metaphorically.
    Last conference I attended they served the greatest salmon and cheese sandwiches I have eaten, whilst eating said sandwiches the sounds I made in front of everybody led to HR launching an investigation.
    Salmon and cheese? Really?
    Cream cheese, a classic combo.
    True, but never fancied it.
    One of my standards is pasta with cream, asparagus and smoked salmon, classically you’re not supposed to add Parmesan to fish but I do. I suppose that makes me a pervert.
    Pretty well, yes.

Also, pasta with cream is not nice, IMO.
    Generally in agreement re pasta with cream. That fake carbonara muck that gets vended at some dining establishments is a great example. But make it in the traditional way with just the cheese, egg and black pepper for a sauce - stunning.
    Carbonara only dates back to the late 1940s probably, so there are people on PB who are older than the recipe. It was possibly first made with powdered egg! So I’m not certain how much I’d lean on “tradition”.

I’m reading “ Delizia: The Epic History of Italians and Their Food” by John Dickie, which is good, and very critical of narratives of tradition in Italian cuisine.

Truly? As with so many traditions often not as venerable as thought.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,056
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

I am in Brighton for the RSS Conference. The weather is terrible: damp and wet. The conference is fun. There's a reception drinks do later. I shall get squiffy and embarrass myself... 😃

Can anyone attend this conference? Sounds interesting.
    Anybody can attend but you have to register and pay. The fees are on the website: https://rss.org.uk/training-events/conference-2023/conference-costs-2023/

edited September 2
    Nunu5 said:

When does he find time to do all the work he apparently does when spending all his time on twitter looking at conspiracies (there was the time he was looking at great replacement stuff)?

Nunu5 said:

Why is that dangerous?
    Fairly dangerous, but I don't see what that has to do with far right accounts, given the origin of the rumour.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/pakistani-southport-rotherham-pakistan-muslim-b1177699.html

The misinformation was promulgated far and wide by far right accounts, irrespective of who originated it.
    HYUFD said:

Had a meeting this evening with local Tory members to discuss the party leadership with our MP before the vote later this week. Had a straw poll at the end, Jenrick and Badenoch came joint top with Tugendhat a strong third

Split party!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Nunu5 said:

Why is that dangerous?

The misinformation was promulgated far and wide by far right accounts, irrespective of who originated it.
    That is as maybe, but it is tangential, at best, in response to my question, so if you don't have an answer to that, I don't know why you're continuing.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I shall stick to the classics: incoherent ranting, saying "I read your stuff" or "I know you! You interviewed me!", finishing off with singing badly and loudly. I don't drink so much these days so vom is not on the schedule: literally and metaphorically.
    Last conference I attended they served the greatest salmon and cheese sandwiches I have eaten, whilst eating said sandwiches the sounds I made in front of everybody led to HR launching an investigation.
    One of my standards is pasta with cream, asparagus and smoked salmon, classically you’re not supposed to add Parmesan to fish but I do. I suppose that makes me a pervert.
    Pretty well, yes.

Generally in agreement re pasta with cream. That fake carbonara muck that gets vended at some dining establishments is a great example. But make it in the traditional way with just the cheese, egg and black pepper for a sauce - stunning.
    Carbonara only dates back to the late 1940s probably, so there are people on PB who are older than the recipe. It was possibly first made with powdered egg! So I’m not certain how much I’d lean on “tradition”.

I’m reading “ Delizia: The Epic History of Italians and Their Food” by John Dickie, which is good, and very critical of narratives of tradition in Italian cuisine.

Ciabatta was invented in 1982, which is about when salmon sushi came along.

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

People's memories can play tricks on them, I bet there's some aged italian grandmother insistently claiming they enjoyed ciabatta in their youths.

I do like this claim from the wikipedia page though. Big concerns indeed.

Cavallari and other bakers in Italy were concerned by the popularity of sandwiches made from baguettes imported from France
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Man, that was my day. How was yours?

I applied for membership of the Groucho Club. I doubt they will be foolish enough to admit me. But a man can dream.
    You're not Zeppo, so you'll be fine.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Nunu5 said:

Why is that dangerous?

There has been a fact check by Reuters. Apparently the map shows all crimes against churches and not just arson, so that's ok then.

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/map-shows-all-alleged-crimes-against-churches-france-not-just-fires-2024-07-25/
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Had a meeting this evening with local Tory members to discuss the party leadership with our MP before the vote later this week. Had a straw poll at the end, Jenrick and Badenoch came joint top with Tugendhat a strong third

Split party!
    The mood was for unity whoever wins, most wanted all contenders in the winner's Shadow Cabinet
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Has @BartholomewRoberts commented on Labour starting to pull the plug on arms for Israel?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    edited September 2
    nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

mercator said:

mwadams said:

TimS said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

That sounds a little more like Cacio e Pepe. For Carbonara you'd want guanciale, or at least decent bacon.
    Carbonara is apparently an invention of the mid 20th century, so it’s not some ur-dish originating in the mists of ancient time.

I don’t make it with cream myself because the drier “traditional” recipe is nicest, but the outrage at messing with dishes like this is completely confected.
    Along with Nutella and Ciabatta.
    I was surprised to hear the mayor of Bologna a few years ago saying that any sauce could legitimately call itself Bolognese provided it contained the key ingredients of white wine and cow's milk.
    The most suprising, but useful, advice I have been given on bolognese is to drain the fat off the meat thoroughly after frying: it's an olive oil-based sauce, not a meat fat-based sauce.
    There shouldn’t be much fat less . I use very little oil and cook the meat till it's browned and crusty . And I always put some cinnamon in to the bolognese . It adds a lovely warmth but you don’t taste the cinnamon.
    Interesting! I use nutmeg, but have never heard of cinnamon. Worth a try.
    Give it a try . You shouldn’t taste the cinnamon in the bolognese , it just adds a warmth and rounds the flavour if that makes sense .
    The traditional grandmother's secrets for making any decent pasta dish (aside from salt in the pasta water, which no Italian would omit but plenty of Brits do) are:

- when the pasta is cooked, add it to the pan with the sauce. Don't serve the pasta nude and plonk the sauce on top.
    - add at least a good spoonful of the water the pasta was cooked in, to the sauce
    - finish with thirty seconds at high heat stirring quickly to fully bring out the flavours of the sauce and coat the pasta fully (and make sure it's hot)
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

"Former cabinet minister David Davis believes it’s ‘highly likely’ Lucy Letby is innocent"

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/david-davis-lucy-letby-trial-innocent-conservatives-b2605544.html

He also thought Brexit would be sorted out in an afternoon and he also thought triggering a vanity by election was a good idea.

Colour me sceptical.
    Very good edit: New Yorker, not New York Times article about it. But ofc we weren't at the trial and the only person who knows for sure is Lucy Letby.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/media_law/new-yorker-lucy-letby-reporting-restrictions-contempt-of-court/
    That's a very helpful piece, as it fills in gaps in my knowledge.

TL;DR: there's currently a gag order on Lucy Letby reporting because she is due to face trial again on one of the counts the original jury was hung on.

I was confused why the New Yorker (and other magazines) were unable to report, and now I know.
    A more general question away from the specifics of this case. Does a gag order apply to foreign publications? Is the New Yorker subject to the gag order because it is sold in the UK? How do these gag orders work when they cannot be enforced (if they cannot be enforced?)
    It's legally 'enforcible' in the UK I think, as in there is liability and their UK edition is subject to UK law. Like Elon Musk was informed that he was subject to EU law for Twitter's publications in the EU before he had his tantrum.

I think the practicalities of enforcement are a matter of fact and degree. Say 100 copies of the New Yorker will not perhaps be deemed enough to undermine the objectivity of the potential Jury, but if they have a UK footprint they could be called into the Court.

Even now, I don't think it's much different from the Spycatcher case - and it is fairly common for material to be published abroad when there is an injunction on publication within the UK - there may even be English / Scottish legal differences which has been a thing before.
    Cheers sir. I supose the main reason I asked was because Robert is a US based reader looking at a US based publication and I was wondering how much it would be affected by any UK gag order.

Of course it would be nice to think that the editors of a US based magazine which was widely read in the UK would consider their public duty to not endanger forthcoming trials even if there was no legal comeback on them.
    https://pressgazette.co.uk/media_law/new-yorker-lucy-letby-reporting-restrictions-contempt-of-court/

A New Yorker story revisiting the conviction of Lucy Letby has been published in the title’s print and mobile app editions despite being blocked on its website to comply with reporting restrictions.

The Condé Nast-owned publication confirmed this week that the web version of the article had been blocked in the UK “to comply with a court order restricting press coverage of Lucy Letby’s ongoing trial”.

But a company spokesperson told Columbia Journalism Review: “As there is one print edition of The New Yorker worldwide, subscribers in the UK will receive the same copy as everyone else.”
    edited September 2
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

mercator said:

mwadams said:

TimS said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

That sounds a little more like Cacio e Pepe. For Carbonara you'd want guanciale, or at least decent bacon.
    Carbonara is apparently an invention of the mid 20th century, so it’s not some ur-dish originating in the mists of ancient time.

I don’t make it with cream myself because the drier “traditional” recipe is nicest, but the outrage at messing with dishes like this is completely confected.
    I was surprised to hear the mayor of Bologna a few years ago saying that any sauce could legitimately call itself Bolognese provided it contained the key ingredients of white wine and cow's milk.
    The most suprising, but useful, advice I have been given on bolognese is to drain the fat off the meat thoroughly after frying: it's an olive oil-based sauce, not a meat fat-based sauce.
    There shouldn’t be much fat less . I use very little oil and cook the meat till it's browned and crusty . And I always put some cinnamon in to the bolognese . It adds a lovely warmth but you don’t taste the cinnamon.
    Give it a try . You shouldn’t taste the cinnamon in the bolognese , it just adds a warmth and rounds the flavour if that makes sense .
    The traditional grandmother's secrets for making any decent pasta dish (aside from salt in the pasta water, which no Italian would omit but plenty of Brits do) are:

- when the pasta is cooked, add it to the pan with the sauce. Don't serve the pasta nude and plonk the sauce on top.
    - add at least a good spoonful of the water the pasta was cooked in, to the sauce
    - finish with thirty seconds at high heat stirring quickly to fully bring out the flavours of the sauce and coat the pasta fully (and make sure it's hot)
    My Italian friend insists on bolognese sauce being served in pile on top of the plain spaghetti, just like my mother used to do. I rib her by calling her English.

Adding pasta water is great, because it slackens the sauce. The Italian theory that it, containing small amounts of starch, "thickens" the sauce is rather suspect.

Agree on your last point.
    edited September 2
    carnforth said:

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

mercator said:

mwadams said:

TimS said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

My Italian friend insists on bolognese sauce being served in pile on top of the plain spaghetti, just like my mother used to do. I rib her by calling her English.

Adding pasta water is great, because it slackens the sauce. The Italian theory that it, containing small amounts of starch, "thickens" the sauce is rather suspect.

Agree on your last point.
    My favourite tip, from an Italian: any dish which has Parmesan sprinkled on top should have an equal amount mixed into the sauce, no matter how odd that seems.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

Tiramisu is another Italian food which isn't as old as people assume it is.
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Anybody can attend but you have to register and pay. The fees are on the website: https://rss.org.uk/training-events/conference-2023/conference-costs-2023/

Thanks viewcode.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,056
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Thanks viewcode.
    @Andy_JS, don't use that link, it is from last year (my bad). Instead see this one: https://rss.org.uk/training-events/conference-2024/conference-costs/
    edited September 2
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Thanks viewcode.
    @Andy_JS, don't use that link, it is from last year (my bad). Instead see this one: https://rss.org.uk/training-events/conference-2024/conference-costs/
    Okay, got it. Probably too late for me to go this year but useful to know about it anyway for the future. Interesting to see that Tim Harford is going to be there. More or Less is one of my favourite radio shows.
    IanB2 said:

So here's Mr Dog at the top of Mount Blue Sky (formerly Evans), which is 15th highest US mountain outside Alaska, and just 100m shy of the Matterhorn. The road - the highest paved in North America - runs close to the top from where it's a short hike to the summit, in noticeably thin air which some folks couldn't cope with.

Colorado really is remarkably high, without looking like it, partly because the plains to the east are themselves high; during the long drive west I've been slowly gaining altitude without realising it. The east of Colorado is flat prairie, yet the state doesn't have anywhere below altitude 1000m, which in an Alpine valley context is pretty high. Indeed the town I am staying in is surrounded by what appear to be hills of British moorland size, and it wasn't a huge uphill drive to get here, yet its altitude is almost up there with St Moritz.

Is this your first time in the US? If not, where have you been before?
    edited September 3
    carnforth said:

IanB2 said:

So here's Mr Dog at the top of Mount Blue Sky (formerly Evans), which is 15th highest US mountain outside Alaska, and just 100m shy of the Matterhorn. The road - the highest paved in North America - runs close to the top from where it's a short hike to the summit, in noticeably thin air which some folks couldn't cope with.

Colorado really is remarkably high, without looking like it, partly because the plains to the east are themselves high; during the long drive west I've been slowly gaining altitude without realising it. The east of Colorado is flat prairie, yet the state doesn't have anywhere below altitude 1000m, which in an Alpine valley context is pretty high. Indeed the town I am staying in is surrounded by what appear to be hills of British moorland size, and it wasn't a huge uphill drive to get here, yet its altitude is almost up there with St Moritz.

Is this your first time in the US? If not, where have you been before?
    The dog is now up to 27 US states (plus DC) and I have visited 29, soon to be 30. Nkat thoroughly visited are SD, NC, NY, PA, VT, VA, WV, and I know SoCal.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

Tiramisu is another Italian food which isn't as old as people assume it is.
    And probably tastes better without Parmesan.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042

Nunu5 said:

Why is that dangerous?

That is as maybe, but it is tangential, at best, in response to my question, so if you don't have an answer to that, I don't know why you're continuing.
    I think church arson attacks have declined in the US since Clinton created the National Church Arson Task Force in 1996, but probably still more than in France?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    edited September 3
    Gosh. This is absolutely brutal:

Ofsted complacent after head's death, says review
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cy0rd785z99o

I mean, there's nothing I can disagree with in there, but even so.

I wonder how Amanda Spielman, who declined to comment, feels about this?

After all, she once said:

The thing I have found people incredibly unwilling to acknowledge and discuss is that there is no possible way that you can ever make everybody perfectly happy and totally protect the interests of children, and make sure that you never have to say anything to an adult that could disappoint or upset them.

Being told you're completely useless and unfit to run a public agency by Christine Fucking Gilbert - and it being the truth - is right up there...

Edit - and the response suggests the catastrophic Curriculum Framework, which makes it harder for children to learn to read and was basically a power trip by a load of drunks at the DfE and OFSTED, is set to go.
  • GIN1138 said:

Has @BartholomewRoberts commented on Labour starting to pull the plug on arms for Israel?

I think it's an utter disgrace and Labour is pandering to pro Hamas voters.

Israel has a right to defend itself.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507

GIN1138 said:

It's both performative and weird.

Either Lab thinks Israel is committing war crimes or it doesn't.

If it does then it should go down that track a la Sth Africa. If not then what is it up to.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    ydoethur said:

The thing I have found people incredibly unwilling to acknowledge and discuss is that there is no possible way that you can ever make everybody perfectly happy and totally protect the interests of children, and make sure that you never have to say anything to an adult that could disappoint or upset them.

Being told you're completely useless and unfit to run a public agency by Christine Fucking Gilbert - and it being the truth - is right up there...

Edit - and the response suggests the catastrophic Curriculum Framework, which makes it harder for children to learn to read and was basically a power trip by a load of drunks at the DfE and OFSTED, is set to go.

I wasn't planning on commenting today but to help you out, Spielman was on LBC yesterday. Of itself she wasn't super critical of removing the one word inspection verdict but feared the measure could be the thin end of the wedge and just the first stage in a range of Government measures designed to bring down standards (my interpretation is next) as an over reaction to an unhinged suicide.

I didn't realise that after two strikes a school was handed to an academy group. That suggests an agenda to me.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

People have lost their shit with bread.

Ciabatta and sourdough is awful, tough, sour and chewy.

I long for the good fresh farmhouse loaf to come back.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

If it does then it should go down that track a la Sth Africa. If not then what is it up to.
    Perhaps there’s a few more labour MPs needing hospital treatment quickly.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

ydoethur said:

I wasn't planning on commenting today but to help you out, Spielman was on LBC yesterday. Of itself she wasn't super critical of removing the one word inspection verdict but feared the measure could be the thin end of the wedge and just the first stage in a range of Government measures designed to bring down standards (my interpretation is next) as an over reaction to an unhinged suicide.

I didn't realise that after two strikes a school was handed to an academy group. That suggests an agenda to me.
    To a new academy group because round here the crap schools have been in 2 - 3 different chains in the past 13 years and nothing has changed
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705

GIN1138 said:

When will Israel stop bombing soft targets with spurious reasons? When they've killed the 96 remaining?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited September 3

GIN1138 said:

When will Israel stop bombing soft targets with spurious reasons? When they've killed the 96 remaining?
    How about when Hamas surrender unconditionally and lay down their arms?

The same as what it took for us to stop bombing Germany and Japan when we were at war.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited September 3

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

More fake news from the Sunblest uber-Tories. The "farmhouse loaf" never left and the Starmer Government have not yet as far as I am aware banned the "cottage loaf".

Are there no artisan bakers in Hampshire? I seem to remember there are a couple on London Road, and Albert Road in Portsmouth. Better still rather than post your madcap GBNews conspiracy theories on here, bake your own.
  • eek said:

ydoethur said:

To a new academy group because round here the crap schools have been in 2 - 3 different chains in the past 13 years and nothing has changed
    Changing the parents is a harder task than changing the administration I suppose.
  • TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

I already said what it's up to.

Pandering to people in this country.

Sadly there's quite a serious pro Hamas element in this country that doesn't think Israel has a right to defend itself and Labour are trying to triangulate.

Concern about Israelis or Palestinians doesn't appear here, it's all for our domestic audience.

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

More fake news from the Sunblest uber-Tories. The "farmhouse loaf" never left and the Starmer Government have not yet as far as I am aware banned the "cottage loaf".

Are there no artisan bakers in Hampshire? I seem to remember there are a couple on London Road, and Albert Road in Portsmouth. Better still rather than post your madcap GBNews conspiracy theories on here, bake your own.
    And a good morning to you too @Mexicanpete !

ydoethur said:

No kidding.

Why Spielman, or her interviewers believe that she has anything useful to say other than giving an abject apology for her leadership of OFSTED, is beyond me.

I'm amazed you didn't know of the compulsory academisation policy. Furtherance of another Gove dogma.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

Bake your own; it's easy enough, fairly cheap, and a good way to relax. It also tastes far better than shop stuff, and makes the house smell lovely. ;)
    TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

It's acting on the legal advice it received.
    You're entitled to disagree with the advice, but it's not 'weird'.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

The problem is that the craze for sourdough has gone too far. Your average “Artisan” baker included.

Much like the craze for the bitterest, strongest coffee. It’s relented a bit. But you have to laugh when you see people queuing up for the harshest possible espresso, then doubling its volume with sugar so they can drink it.
  • Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

A government acting on legal advice?

What weirdness is this?

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

Bake your own; it's easy enough, fairly cheap, and a good way to relax. It also tastes far better than shop stuff, and makes the house smell lovely. ;)
    I'm sure, and I could make my own sandwiches too, but I'd far rather an option to buy them and enjoy them out!
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

No kidding.

Why Spielman, or her interviewers believe that she has anything useful to say other than giving an abject apology for her leadership of OFSTED, is beyond me.

I'm amazed you didn't know of the compulsory academisation policy. Furtherance of another Gove dogma.
    That will be the "dogma" that has had pupils in England rising well up the international rankings for maths, placing England as one of the top performing countries in the western world:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/england-among-highest-performing-western-countries-in-education#:~:text=A worldwide education study published,and from 27th in 2009.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

I'm sure, and I could make my own sandwiches too, but I'd far rather an option to buy them and enjoy them out!
    I must admit that I partially agree with you: many of the 'specialist' breads out there don't taste that good, especially in texture. If I'm buying a sandwich, I want the plainest bread I can find, and much more filling.

Then again, when I bake I often put sliced black olives into the mix getting a farmhouse loaf with olives in. If I get the balance just right (with a *tiny* dollop of olive oil, it's awesome.

Oh. and making foccacia is really fun.

In all seriousness, try a little baking. If I'm stressed, I find it rapidly improves my mood, especially with some good music on.
  • NEW THREAD

• SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675
    edited September 3

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

It is difficult to get a Cottage Loaf round my way. (Hampshire. ) I ordered one especially from my local bakery but I was disappointed when it arrived to find that it lacked its "top knot".

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

No kidding.

That will be the "dogma" that has had pupils in England rising well up the international rankings for maths, placing England as one of the top performing countries in the western world:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/england-among-highest-performing-western-countries-in-education#:~:text=A worldwide education study published,and from 27th in 2009.
    A system you opted out of, I believe ?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

He (Lammy) said that this is not a comment on whether Israel has violated international law just that "there does exist a clear risk" that they might.

Why is there a "clear risk", after nearly a year. Either Israel is violating the law in which case fine, or it is not, in which case what's the problem.

To say that there is a "clear risk" suggests that you think they have already done so, in which case line up with South Africa and Ireland and take your case to the ICC.

As I say, weird.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    German elections update:
    Final score Saxony (comparisons with last state elections 2019):
    CDU 31.9% -0.2
    AfD 30.6% +3.1
    BSW 11.8% +11.8 new
    SPD 7.3% -0.4
    Greens 5.1% -3.5
    Left 4.5% -5.9
    Others 8.8% -4.9

Seats (out of 120 total)
    CDU 41
    AfD 40
    BSW 15
    SPD 10
    Greens 7
    Left 6 (passed hurdle by winning 2 constituencies)
    Freie Wähler 1 (just won 1 constituency)

The governing Kenya coalition (CDU SPD Greens) lost its majority. The most likely option now is a CDU-BSW-SPD coalition, though it will be interesting to see what the BSW demands are. Alternatively their could be a minority Kenia coalition with some opposition tolerance from the Left.

Thüringen:
    AfD 32.8% +9.4
    CDU 23.6% +1.9
    BSW 15.8% +15.8 new
    Left 13.1% -17.9
    SPD 6.1% -2.1
    Greens 3.2% -2.0
    FDP 1.3% -3.9
    Others 4.4% -1.4

Seats (out of 88):
    AfD 32
    CDU 23
    BSW 15
    Left 12
    SPD 6

The governing minority Left-SPD-Green with opposition tolerance from CDU no longer works. The only option that hasn't been ruled out is a CDU-BSW-SPD coalition with tolerance from the Left, which sounds like fun.

Of course the governing national parties did badly, though as they all polled in single figures already in 2019 in both states they didn't have far to fall.
    The biggest swing in both states was Left to BSW, which makes sense as the BSW is a party that split from the Left - caused mainly by disagreements over Ukraine and immigration (or Wagenknecht's own ambition). The Left themselves were formed by a merger of the successors of the East German Communist Party, and the WASG, a leftwing party that split from the SPD. A leading light of the WASG was former SPD chair and Saarland first minister Oskar Lafontaine - who is now Wagenknecht's husband.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

He (Lammy) said that this is not a comment on whether Israel has violated international law just that "there does exist a clear risk" that they might.

Why is there a "clear risk", after nearly a year. Either Israel is violating the law in which case fine, or it is not, in which case what's the problem.

To say that there is a "clear risk" suggests that you think they have already done so, in which case line up with South Africa and Ireland and take your case to the ICC.

As I say, weird.
    It's the language of diplomacy. Israel is an ally, something which a Labour government has to, for now, both sustain and distance from. To renounce this ally would have massive consequences both here and abroad.

Note also the degree to which our government is silent on Sudan. This war, an order of magnitude more awful even than Israel/Palestine, is sustained by countries with which we are friendly and very friendly arming and supporting both sides. UK and the EU are desperate to keep out. There is no stance the west can take which will please all our very wealthy friends in the wider region.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446

GIN1138 said:

How about when Hamas surrender unconditionally and lay down their arms?

The same as what it took for us to stop bombing Germany and Japan when we were at war.
    It's not like WWII though. Israel are not occupying land in the Gaza strip and taking on the responsibilities for civilians that come with being an occupying power.

They are fighting through an area, and then retreating, and then fighting through the area again once Hamas are back in it. It's a pretty cynical approach which maximises the civilian suffering, while absolving Israel of the legal responsibilities that would otherwise apply.

It also means that Hamas are never replaced as the civil authority in Gaza, and never completely defeated. It's a strategy for permanent war, not for the defeat of Hamas.

I'm completely onboard with the military defeat of Hamas, but not permanent war.

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Pretty well, yes.

I don’t mind the time spent baking - although having a kitchen covered in flour afterwards is suboptimal - but the real hassle is having estate agents tramping through the house escorting random visitors afterwards.