Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The pollsters could be missing a Harris surge – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458

theakes said:

Latest polling has Trump closing. Think back to 2020, Biden well ahead in Wisconsin and Michigan said the polls, come election day a hairs breath win in Wisconsin and only 2% in Michigan. I suggest polls are under estimating Trump support.

"Latest polling has Trump closing." Citation required.

Because:

Latest Fox News polls in the sunbelt (by Interactive Polls): all good news for Harris

Georgia: Harris 50% Trump 48% (Harris by 2% - was Trump leading by 6% in previous poll when Biden)
    Arizona: Harris 50% Trump 49% (Harris by 1% - was Trump leading by 5%)
    Nevada: Harris 50% Trump 48% (Harris by 2% - was Trump leading by 5%)
    North Carolina: Harris 49% Trump 50% Trump by 1% - (was Trump leading by 5%)
    Indeed. There is a body of opinion on PB that likes to ramp Trump regardless of the numbers. I mean, Trump might well win, but unsubstantiated comments are common, and unhelpful for those of us that actually bet on outcomes.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Dura_Ace said:

algarkirk said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As one who doesn't follow the intricacies US elections (tip: one of them is going to win), but doesn't like the PB Guardian-adjacent bien pensant dismissal of Trump supporters, can I ask those who know (ie you lot) what Trump would do in office that would be "frankly very scary" and what he did last time that was "frankly very scary".

The encouragement of the armed insurrection that nearly led to the lynching of his Vice President for starters.

He waited hours to respond.

That’s for starters.
    Weak. It wasn't an armed insurrection. It was a bunch of no-hopers (there's a clue in there) protesting against government. Pretty inefficiently and badly managed by the security forces. None of them expected to find themselves indoors that day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010tff is pretty good about it.

Just like Otis Ferry storming the HoC but more American.
    How many people died or were injured when Otis Ferry and his friends invaded the Commons?
    It's America ffs. How many people die or are injured in a normal day in Ohio vs Hartlepool.
    I am sure you would have excused the Beer Hall Putsch.
    It was political expression (as were the 2011 riots, as were the Hartlepool riots) of a disaffected, marginalised community.

The last place I would expect that concept to be understood is on PB and the last people I would expect to understand it are well paid lawyers working in the financial services industry in the UK who were bought houses by their parents at an early age.
    As a PB thickie I just trying to understand what you meant by a 'disaffected, marginalised community'. The first person on a list of those convicted after January 6th is a guy called Henry Tarrio - a one-time chairman of the Proud Boys.

This is what Wikipedia has to say:

"In 2004, when he was 20 years old, Tarrio was convicted of theft. He was sentenced to community service and three years of probation and was ordered to pay restitution. After 2004, Tarrio relocated to a small town in North Florida to run a poultry farm. He later returned to Miami. He has also founded a security equipment installation firm and another firm providing GPS tracking for companies.

In 2012, Tarrio was indicted for his role in a scheme to rebrand and resell stolen diabetic test strips. After being charged, Tarrio cooperated with investigators, helping them prosecute more than a dozen others. In 2013, Tarrio was sentenced to 30 months (of which he served 16) in federal prison.

Between 2012 and 2014 Tarrio was an informant to both federal and local law enforcement; in a 2014 federal court hearing, Tarrio's lawyer said that Tarrio had been a "prolific" cooperator who had assisted the government in the investigation and prosecution of more than twelve people in cases involving anabolic steroids, gambling, and human smuggling; had helped identify three "grow houses" where marijuana was cultivated; and had repeatedly worked undercover to aid in investigations. Tarrio denied working undercover or cooperating with prosecutions, but the court transcript contradicted the denial, and the former federal prosecutor in the proceeding against Tarrio confirmed that he cooperated. Tarrio's role as an informant was first made public in January 2021, after Reuters obtained the court records and interviewed investigators and lawyers involved in the case."

I suppose failed criminals turned informants are members of a 'disaffected, marginalised community' so you're right.
    He’s the American version of Tommy Robinson. No-one in the UK would blame the Tories if they held a rally where they called for a peaceful protest, but a few Tommys turned up and started a fight.
    Some people on here seem to have lost all connection with reality.

OK, as a thought experiment, imagine the Jan 6th rioters had somehow succeeded in preventing the certification of Biden as president. Would Trump have taken that, declared martial law and stayed in the White House? Of course he would. Sunak would have never had done the equivalent.
    Those who are minimising the danger of Trump and are dismissing the 1930s might like to consider a question. If Trump is president, what % chance would you put on the USA meeting NATO treaty obligations if Russia walked into (for example) Estonia? Would it be significantly below 100%?
    Russia isn't walking into anywhere except Ukrainian shit pits at the rate of one village every six months so it's a risible question but I wouldn't rate the chances of Harris or Starmer committing to WW3 over fucking Tallinn at 100% either.
    Russia has had at least to strands of territorial expansion: political and military. They try to interfere politically with neighbouring countries, and if that does not work, they go for more militant actions. It's perfectly possible (though unlikely) that they get (say) Hungary so on-side that Russian troops are sent in to 'protect' Hungarians. In the same way Russian troops were in Belarus.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,626

DavidL said:

My posts have gone upside down with the latest at the bottom. Weird, as JD Vance would say, weirdly.

Edit, and this one has gone to the top. Is this PB or confused.com?

I have the same problem with the oldest posts at the top. Is there any way to change this back to how it used to be or is this the new normal?
    Ah just read the first reply to David (another problem of this being upside down) Apologies for asking a question that has already been answered.
    Don't apologise for that. If we couldn't ask questions that were already answered, how would historians earn an honest crust?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As one who doesn't follow the intricacies US elections (tip: one of them is going to win), but doesn't like the PB Guardian-adjacent bien pensant dismissal of Trump supporters, can I ask those who know (ie you lot) what Trump would do in office that would be "frankly very scary" and what he did last time that was "frankly very scary".

The encouragement of the armed insurrection that nearly led to the lynching of his Vice President for starters.

That’s for starters.
    Weak. It wasn't an armed insurrection. It was a bunch of no-hopers (there's a clue in there) protesting against government. Pretty inefficiently and badly managed by the security forces. None of them expected to find themselves indoors that day.

How many people died or were injured when Otis Ferry and his friends invaded the Commons?
    It's America ffs. How many people die or are injured in a normal day in Ohio vs Hartlepool.
    It was political expression (as were the 2011 riots, as were the Hartlepool riots) of a disaffected, marginalised community.

The last place I would expect that concept to be understood is on PB and the last people I would expect to understand it are well paid lawyers working in the financial services industry in the UK who were bought houses by their parents at an early age.
    Fake news, they merely paid for the deposit, I paid the rest.

Anyhoo, there’s a universality that should exist among everybody that you do not use violence to overturn democratic elections.
    They really weren't doing that. They were marching on the Capitol and found themselves inside, much to their bemusement.

And, please note all those making 1930s comparisons, the full power of the state was ranged against them.
    Fairly sure the people that were macing and beating with fire extinguishers the cops that were standing between them and the Capitol wanted to be inside it.
    Yes absolutely but the clue is in your post. "The cops were standing between them and the Capitol".
    The full power of the state seemed a bit shit at stopping a bunch of no-hopers confused about their aims in that case.
    No disagreement from me but they were there to do just that.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,502
    Anyway since Otis was mentioned, dad has released a new track after a long hiatus. Will have to listen to it a few more times before deciding if it’s Bryan being a self indulgent old silly or the master returning to form, but not terrible at first take.

https://youtu.be/TnGTTOJvAz4?si=GghGcGOPhPAAZ1O5
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    edited August 29

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

I must admit that my reaction to the headline was "No Shit".

We know that the push polling, especially on the GOP side, is muddying the waters and giving far more evenly matched results than the probable reality, so the polls showing a tight race or a Trump lead are not necessarily reliable. We know that the ghost of Roe v Wade is haunting the Republican campaign. We know that as a result Harris has attracted large numbers of female votes to the Blue column. We know that she has fired up the base to a dramatic degree and the convention, far from being a 1968 disaster, was a total triumph. We know that Harris is raising historically large amounts of money very quickly. We know that Harris has made a good VP pick and that Trump... hasn´t. We know that Trump has never won the popular vote. Trump is still trying to win the 2020 fight, but the style is just looking tired and dated, as is he.

Yet the fear of 2016, like the fear of 2019 in the recent UK general election, is leading people to fear that Trump can still snatch a victory. I think even with all the corruption and malpractice that the convicted felon can orchestrate it will not be enough to overcome a very large vote for Harris. I think she could be headed for a landslide,

It’s just becoming more and more obvious, isn’t it? The notion that it’s going to be ‘on a knife-edge’ is increasingly ridiculous.
    Harris leads by 1.7% on average with RCP, closer than 2016 and 2020 and Trump leads by 287 to 251 in the EC on their average

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/trump-vs-harris

https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college
    RCP doesn't report all the polls.
    Harris is leading nationally by 3.6% on 538, and by 1.6% in Pennsylvania, which gives her an EC lead.
    I raised this query a couple of days ago. Does anyone know why it has Trump ahead in PA?

(Would seem to make no sense, based on the recent polling)
    This most recent polling?
    (From the Silver Bulletin)
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That’s for starters.

christ you're gullible.

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

We know that the push polling, especially on the GOP side, is muddying the waters and giving far more evenly matched results than the probable reality, so the polls showing a tight race or a Trump lead are not necessarily reliable. We know that the ghost of Roe v Wade is haunting the Republican campaign. We know that as a result Harris has attracted large numbers of female votes to the Blue column. We know that she has fired up the base to a dramatic degree and the convention, far from being a 1968 disaster, was a total triumph. We know that Harris is raising historically large amounts of money very quickly. We know that Harris has made a good VP pick and that Trump... hasn´t. We know that Trump has never won the popular vote. Trump is still trying to win the 2020 fight, but the style is just looking tired and dated, as is he.

Yet the fear of 2016, like the fear of 2019 in the recent UK general election, is leading people to fear that Trump can still snatch a victory. I think even with all the corruption and malpractice that the convicted felon can orchestrate it will not be enough to overcome a very large vote for Harris. I think she could be headed for a landslide,

It’s just becoming more and more obvious, isn’t it? The notion that it’s going to be ‘on a knife-edge’ is increasingly ridiculous.
    Harris leads by 1.7% on average with RCP, closer than 2016 and 2020 and Trump leads by 287 to 251 in the EC on their average

https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college
    Harris is leading nationally by 3.6% on 538, and by 1.6% in Pennsylvania, which gives her an EC lead.
    I raised this query a couple of days ago. Does anyone know why it has Trump ahead in PA?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/pennsylvania/
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Nothing there post-Convention...
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

2nd. Thank-you for the header.

FPT:

Nigelb said:

As it's a JD Vance thread, here's TwitterX on town name pronunciations in Ohio.

There’s a town in Ohio called “Versailles” and it’s pronounced by the locals, and all Ohioans, as “Ver-sails” and if you try to pronounce it like you should (with the French accent), people look at you like you’re crazy.
    https://x.com/EudaimoniaEsq/status/1828560881808220191

Houston: “How-stun”
    Russia: “Roo-shee”
    Bellefountaine - "Bell Fountain"
    Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

There's a hamlet in Derbyshire called New York - just like the one in Ukraine. And one in Nidderdale. And one in East Lindsay.

Every state in the US must give at least one town a pronunciation that is inexplicable and specifically designed to easily identify outsiders
    https://x.com/politicalmath/status/1828568040377651535
    ... unlike every English county, which seems to have at least 75 such:

- Gloucester, pronounced Gloster
    - Leicester, pronounced Lester
    - Alnwick, pronounced Annick
    - Chiswick, pronounced Chisick
    - Ulgham pronounced Uffham
    - Happisburgh pronounced Haysburra

etc etc etc etc

We're definitely inside the glasshouse on this one.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Yes it's missing a few polls from that time period which have Harris ahead for some reason.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Last four weeks polling average for Pennsylvania courtesy of 538.

Tres said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That’s for starters.

christ you're gullible.
    I don't think it's him that is gullible, whether he existed or not, but certainly his followers, in particular those who believe the risen from the dead thing, most certainly are.
    Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

There’s a town in Ohio called “Versailles” and it’s pronounced by the locals, and all Ohioans, as “Ver-sails” and if you try to pronounce it like you should (with the French accent), people look at you like you’re crazy.

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

There's a hamlet in Derbyshire called New York - just like the one in Ukraine. And one in Nidderdale. And one in East Lindsay.

Every state in the US must give at least one town a pronunciation that is inexplicable and specifically designed to easily identify outsiders

etc etc etc etc

Consider yourself lucky you don't have to explain why Hednesford and Blithefield are pronounced Hensford and Bliffeld.
    Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That’s for starters.

Anyhoo, there’s a universality that should exist among everybody that you do not use violence to overturn democratic elections.
    They really weren't doing that. They were marching on the Capitol and found themselves inside, much to their bemusement.

And, please note all those making 1930s comparisons, the full power of the state was ranged against them.
    "Found themselves inside" is a far-right variation on "resting in my account".

The documentary is really very good on this. Recommended viewing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010tff
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349
    ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

Consider yourself lucky you don't have to explain why Hednesford and Blithefield are pronounced Hensford and Bliffeld.
    Or Oldham pronounced Owdem
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,746
    Trump, today, reposted on his social account:

-AI images of his perceived enemies in orange jumpsuits
    -Calls for the indictment of the members of the J6 Select Committee
    -A call for the arrest of Jack Smith
    -A call for public military tribunals for President Obama/others

https://x.com/VaughnHillyard/status/1828875846209437870

Topping is sure he's just kidding.

Cicero said:

Nate Silver's adjustment for a post-convention bounce puts the result on a knife-edge.

That seems very plausible to me. The state polling also looks a lot tighter than the national polling, and RFK dropping out does seem to have helped Trump.

A lot of wishful thinking in evidence.
    Some might argue that the "wishful thinking" is quite the other way!!
    Obvs there are always partisans being overly optimistic on both sides, but one of the attractions of this place has always been that the discipline imposed by gambling money encourages people to take a more dispassionate view, which is what I certainly try to do.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,989
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

Virtually every other placename in Fife has this feature.
    Cumberland (as it now is, replacing Cumbria). Spiatri=Aspatria
    My father was born in Wooldale in West Yorkshire - pronounced Oodle. The next village is Jackson Bridge - pronounced Jigby.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    edited August 29
    On topic: "Harris surge". I hope so but I won't be banking it until it does show in the polls. I think Harris is tracking to win comfortably and what I need for that view to be more than my big picture intuition (much faith as I have in that spooky commodity) is for her to pull out a solid national poll lead of 5 to 7 pts. This is what I want to see before the end of Sept. C'mon you polls.

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Did you even look at your link? Harris is behind in two of the three most recent polls.
    Nigelb said:

You really do take your world view from twitter, don't you, whether it's the US election campaign or aerial combat in Ukraine. Not being funny, but it might be best if you try to find alternative sources of information.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,989
    There are 3 local by-elections today. There is a Labour defence in Hertfordshire and 2 Con defences in Wychavon.
    On matters less controversial for PB what on earth do you do with the pound coins you might receive or have accumulated for one reason or another. Effectively dead money unless you make a concerted effort to use them all at once.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

I spent my teenage years in Cradley (Herefordshire) pronounced Cradley. Sometimes I work in Cradley ( Dudley MBC) pronounced craydley.

Near where I live is a hamlet called Broughton (pronounced brufton) not to be confused with Broughton ( ex- Clwyd) pronounced brawton.

Just wait for the confusion when PBers discover Welsh place names.
    kamski said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Yes it's missing a few polls from that time period which have Harris ahead for some reason.
    to be clear that is a comment on RCP missing polls, I haven't checked Silver Bulletin except to see that Silver currently has Harris 1.7% ahead
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    Nigelb said:

One thing you can say about Trump is that unlike other politicians, you know he does his own social media...

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

I spent my teenage years in Cradley (Herefordshire) pronounced Cradley. Sometimes I work in Cradley ( Dudley MBC) pronounced craydley.

Near where I live is a hamlet called Broughton (pronounced brufton) not to be confused with Broughton ( ex- Clwyd) pronounced brawton.

They will go to Tywyn on them.

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Did you even look at your link? Harris is behind in two of the three most recent polls.
    Always good to stop at precisely the 3 most recent polls, I find, when trying to get a feel for the average.

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Indeed – and it's also an extremely selective screenshot! See the actual link I posted above. @LostPassword seems to have his own agenda on this topic!!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited August 29

DavidL said:

My posts have gone upside down with the latest at the bottom. Weird, as JD Vance would say, weirdly.

Vanilla has done one of its unannounced 'upgrades'.

Robert is trying to reverse the 'upgrade'.
    Mindboggling that the default setting is to put comments at the bottom.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,903
    edited August 29
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

You really do take your world view from twitter, don't you, whether it's the US election campaign or aerial combat in Ukraine. Not being funny, but it might be best if you try to find alternative sources of information.
    I just checked and Trump has indeed posted (edit or reposted) that. Nigel's sources are good.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

When very posh English people say "I'm going to toyn", are they going to London or the seaside?
  • FossFoss Posts: 894
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

New-at-the-bottom has been traditional for flat forums for decades.
    edited August 29
    Barnesian said:

theakes said:

Latest polling has Trump closing. Think back to 2020, Biden well ahead in Wisconsin and Michigan said the polls, come election day a hairs breath win in Wisconsin and only 2% in Michigan. I suggest polls are under estimating Trump support.

Latest poll is Big Village 23-28 August sample size 1,511, of Likely Voters.
    Harris 50% Trump 43%
    Not closing.
    National polling isn't what matters though.

The Economist has Harris ahead in the crucial state of Pennsylvania — by just 1%.

https://www.economist.com/interactive/us-2024-election/prediction-model/president/pennsylvania/
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

You don't believe that Trump posts stuff ?
    Or that when he does it has no significance at all ?

Not being funny, but if you dismiss entirely what politicians say for themselves, then you're a fool.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

theakes said:

Harris 50% Trump 43%
    Not closing.

The Economist has Harris ahead in the crucial state of Pennsylvania — by just 1%.

https://www.economist.com/interactive/us-2024-election/prediction-model/president/pennsylvania/
    No polling matters as it cannot be trusted.
    Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

I just checked and Trump has indeed posted (edit or reposted) that. Nigel's sources are good.
    Was not my point.
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

You don't believe that Trump posts stuff ?
    Or that when he does it has no significance at all ?

Not being funny, but if you dismiss entirely what politicians say for themselves, then you're a fool.
    You're new at this political analysis game, aren't you.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,313
    Good news from Russia, but not for Putin, as another massive oil depot just happened to ‘go on fire’ last night.

https://x.com/osinttechnical/status/1829031112443596887
    This is rather unexpected from the RAC.

BBC News - Fuel duty: Get rid of 5p cut, RAC tells chancellor - BBC News
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm2nrneym82o

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

When very posh English people say "I'm going to toyn", are they going to London or the seaside?
    They’re going to the Fair, bourne on a tide of Welsh place name puns.
    Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

theakes said:

Harris 50% Trump 43%
    Not closing.

Pennsylvania is the single most important state in this election.

As with Florida in 2000, pretty much all routes to 270 go through that state. The polling seems to be predicting a result almost as close, likely to be 1% either way.
    edited August 29
    I've no doubt that the Hoover Institution is a filthy right wing, pro-Trump rag and also some of the issues it describes no longer apply or have changed.

But this is one (of many similar) articles which explains for the bewildered PB/Graun crowd why Trump won in 2016.

https://www.hoover.org/research/why-trump-won

From what I've seen of Trump he is hugely entertaining in a laugh at not with kind of way but I don't think he threatens modern democracy. He will or will not be elected via a democratic system which I don't think is at risk.

I don't think it matters too much who is POTUS unless you are a US taxpayer or, during the Obama years, lived in the middle east and didn't have a bomb shelter.

But I do find it funny how triggered people on PB and the left in general are about him. Way beyond their betting books.
    kamski said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Always good to stop at precisely the 3 most recent polls, I find, when trying to get a feel for the average.
    The third most recent has fieldwork dates more than a week old, so it struggles to be most recent itself.

How would a poll from a fortnight ago be described as "recent"?

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

theakes said:

Harris 50% Trump 43%
    Not closing.

No polling matters as it cannot be trusted.
    Why can't it be trusted, as a whole? I know that certain pollsters aren't the most reliable.

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Indeed – and it's also an extremely selective screenshot! See the actual link I posted above. @LostPassword seems to have his own agenda on this topic!!
    My only agenda is accuracy.

The screenshot I posted is of the latest polls on the Silver Bulletin.

You, apparently, didn't look at the data in the link you posted, only the pretty picture.
    Eabhal said:

So they’re saying drop the 5p cut because in their view the retailers didn’t pass it on in pump prices.

Do they expect retailers to not pass on a 5p rise in tax?

Obviously their spokesperson never studied economics.

Two things the government can do. One is to reduce rents on motorway service stations, and the other is to throw more of the contents of the arsenal towards Ukraine. For a specifically Labour thing to do, call in the supermarkets for an investigation into fuel prices.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,462
    This outside smoking ban will finish the pub trade off finally.

For once I find I am agreeing with Farage.

Labour seemed determined to destroy their poll lead as fast as possible it seems to me.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

Tine not toyn. Otherwise the joke is very funny.
    edited August 29
    Sandpit said:

Good news from Russia, but not for Putin, as another massive oil depot just happened to ‘go on fire’ last night.

In the tweet you link to it says.

"Russian authorities are reportedly highly concerned about losing the entire facility."

I'm very sad about all the noxious fumes emitted. Obviously. Oh dear.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That’s for starters.

Fairly sure the people that were macing and beating with fire extinguishers the cops that were standing between them and the Capitol wanted to be inside it.
    They were just in a hurry to get to the Jamiroquai performance....

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Did you look at the link? LOL.
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

So they’re saying drop the 5p cut because in their view the retailers didn’t pass it on in pump prices.

Two things the government can do. One is to reduce rents on motorway service stations, and the other is to throw more of the contents of the arsenal towards Ukraine. For a specifically Labour thing to do, call in the supermarkets for an investigation into fuel prices.
    Yes, it does seem rather naive. The CMA reports on this are punchy, good evidence that there is rocket and feather pricing going on from fuel retailers, using duty cuts to cover their backs.

This does give the government cover to raise duty though - in real terms it's at lowest level since 1993.
    TOPPING said:

On matters less controversial for PB what on earth do you do with the pound coins you might receive or have accumulated for one reason or another. Effectively dead money unless you make a concerted effort to use them all at once.

I'm sure the many weirdo cash-fetishists on here will buy them off you for £1 in proper electronic money (if they can work out how to use a banking app, which admittedly is very doubtful!)
    Twitter is fun today.

The AI videos can can be made with the new tools are scarily accurate at portraying known people. Or seriously scary, depending on your point of view.

A lighthearted view of just how bad it could get.
    https://x.com/thedorbrothers/status/1828813560878637165
  • MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

Indeed. As a child I cycled from Boston to New York and back in an afternoon on several occasions.
    TOPPING said:

I've no doubt that the Hoover Institution is a filthy right wing, pro-Trump rag and also some of the issues it describes no longer apply or have changed.

But this is one (of many similar) articles which explains for the bewildered PB/Graun crowd why Trump won in 2016.

https://www.hoover.org/research/why-trump-won

From what I've seen of Trump he is hugely entertaining in a laugh at not with kind of way but I don't think he threatens modern democracy. He will or will not be elected via a democratic system which I don't think is at risk.

I don't think it matters too much who is POTUS unless you are a US taxpayer or, during the Obama years, lived in the middle east and didn't have a bomb shelter.

But I do find it funny how triggered people on PB and the left in general are about him. Way beyond their betting books.

There is a tendency on here (and in and some non-Leftie and Leftie circles) for Trump Doom Porn, which many PBers are addicted to. Fine. Whatever floats your boat. But posting their unsubstantiated claims on here is unhelpful as a source of political analysis.
    edited August 29

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

Indeed. As a child I cycled from Boston to New York and back in an afternoon on several occasions.
    You could have so much with that on today’s social media. How many unwary or gullible Americans could you take in with stories about the trip?

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

You, apparently, didn't look at the data in the link you posted, only the pretty picture.
    Nope, you haven't looked properly. Or are being deliberately obtuse. It's hard to decide which...
    edited August 29
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

Tine not toyn. Otherwise the joke is very funny.
    You must meet a different class of posh people to me.

Sadly if you are right my quip doesn't work.
    "Ben Fogle’s wife says family was wrongly reported to social services for ‘shouting’ at children

Mrs Fogle empathises with plight of TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp, who was investigated by council for letting her teenage son travel Europe"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/28/ben-fogle-wife-family-reported-social-services-shouting/

This outside smoking ban will finish the pub trade off finally.

For once I find I am agreeing with Farage.

Labour seemed determined to destroy their poll lead as fast as possible it seems to me.

The next thing will probably be an American-style ban on drinking in most public spaces. As it happens I don't smoke or drink but I hate this type of nannyism because it'll eventually spread to something that you or me like doing.

kamski said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

The third most recent has fieldwork dates more than a week old, so it struggles to be most recent itself.

The question was why is RCP showing Trump ahead in PA when other averages have Harris ahead. Part of the reason is that the RCP includes fewer polls (and they include polls going back more than a month, so RCP is not following your advice of not counting polls more than a week old).

I think to make a polling average you need to have at least 5 polls as a very minimum, if there aren't that many polls done in the last week then of course your average should include slightly older polls. And when the election is over 2 months away a poll from 2 weeks ago still counts as recent, unless there is a more recent poll from the same pollster.
    TOPPING said:

Tres said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That’s for starters.

christ you're gullible.
    I don't think it's him that is gullible, whether he existed or not, but certainly his followers, in particular those who believe the risen from the dead thing, most certainly are.
    he was the original nepo baby
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

If you press the switch to make it ordered by date surveyed, not date added, you'll see that Harris is ahead in two of the last three polls by date surveyed
    TOPPING said:

i have a thing called a bank account that I use
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    What the feck was that by Ollie Pope all about?

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Did you look at the link? LOL.
    Yes, which is why I can see that Harris is behind in the SoCal Strategies and Insider Advantage polls, and ahead in the smaller sample poll from ActiVote.
    a
    Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That’s for starters.

"Found themselves inside" is a far-right variation on "resting in my account".

Bit like the chap who found himself sitting on a running, stolen motorcycle outside a jewellers shop. When the alarms went off...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    kamski said:

Cicero said:

"We know that the push polling, especially on the GOP side, is muddying the waters and giving far more evenly matched results than the probable reality"

No we don't, but if you have evidence of this I'd be very happy to see it.

Also feel free to calculate a polling average excluding "GOP push polling", I doubt it will be any different to most of the established polling averages from Silver Bulletin, 538 etc.

You can argue, as the header does, that there are reasons to believe the polling might be underestimating Harris's lead. OTOH you can look at the last 2 times Trump was on the ballot and question whether pollsters have done enough to fix whatever went wrong with their polling in 2016 and 2020 - especially in critical states like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

eg for 2020 comparing the final 538 polling average with the actual result:

Wisconsin 538 average: Biden +8.4%, result Biden +0.6%

Michigan 538 average: Biden +7.9%, result: Biden +2.8%

Pennsylvania 538 average: Biden +4.7%, result: Biden +1.2%

Although, for balance, we should also look at 2022 polling versus actual results. Because my memory is that the Democrats outperformed then. (My memory could, of course, be wrong.)
    Andy_JS said:

"Ben Fogle’s wife says family was wrongly reported to social services for ‘shouting’ at children

Mrs Fogle empathises with plight of TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp, who was investigated by council for letting her teenage son travel Europe"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/28/ben-fogle-wife-family-reported-social-services-shouting/

Are you are suggesting that posh people shouldn't be investigated after an allegation has been made? Is it possible to determine whether an allegation is vexatious without an investigation? The fact that even vexatious claims remain on the books is a different issue.

So who are the snowflakes? The complainer or the complainant?
    edited August 29
    viewcode said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

If you press the switch to make it ordered by date surveyed, not date added, you'll see that Harris is ahead in two of the last three polls by date surveyed
    Not so.

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Nope, you haven't looked properly. Or are being deliberately obtuse. It's hard to decide which...
    You're going to have to substantiate that.
    Tres said:

TOPPING said:

What kind of a faff would it be to try to deposit some coins into a bank account. Aren't they all Costa Coffees now anyway.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,604
    Of course, organisations like Oxfam, would be beneficiaries of new wealth taxes given they would receive further state handouts to do the work they do. Same goes for many of the organisations advocating wealth taxes.

"reduce inequality, tackle poverty and build a fairer, more caring, and greener future"

Ker-ching for the NGO's and Charity sector.
    Nigelb said:

Cicero said:

Though you shouldn't forget what happened to Clinton, who had a double digit led in the polls in October 2016.

I think any result between a Harris landslide and a narrow Trump win is just about possible - though I have quite a lot of money on Harris winning.
    I think it's possible that Trump wins the Sunbelt and the Rustbelt. It's also possible that Harris does. And it is further possible that they split them.

I tend to agree with you that Harris probably has more room to outperform expectations, but - voter registration numbers apart - the polls do not currently support such an outcome.
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

Kick it into the long grass. Classic Labour.
    edited August 29
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

The question was why is RCP showing Trump ahead in PA when other averages have Harris ahead. Part of the reason is that the RCP includes fewer polls (and they include polls going back more than a month, so RCP is not following your advice of not counting polls more than a week old).

I think to make a polling average you need to have at least 5 polls as a very minimum, if there aren't that many polls done in the last week then of course your average should include slightly older polls. And when the election is over 2 months away a poll from 2 weeks ago still counts as recent, unless there is a more recent poll from the same pollster.
    I'm not here to defend the RCP polling average, but the statement that it's impossible to see why it has Trump ahead from the most recent polls doesn't actually in fact match what I see in the most recent polls, as shown by both 538 and the Silver Bulletin.

I have more faith in their methodology for constructing a polling average than in RCP, but Harris isn't so far ahead that it's impossible for a polling average to show her behind in PA.

Andy_JS said:

Are you are suggesting that posh people shouldn't be investigated after an allegation has been made? Is it possible to determine whether an allegation is vexatious without an investigation? The fact that even vexatious claims remain on the books is a different issue.

So who are the snowflakes? The complainer or the complainant?
    The fact that vexatious allegations remain on the books is the issue.

At a garden party, a while back, I was talking the Home Sec, briefly.

I mentioned my solution to the issue of the deliberate destruction of records in Rotherham - to place those responsible for the destruction on the offenders registers. The horror from the civil servant at the Home Sec's elbow was entertaining - "but these are public servants... serious people... this would ruin their lives".

Sandpit said:

In the tweet you link to it says.

"Russian authorities are reportedly highly concerned about losing the entire facility."

I'm very sad about all the noxious fumes emitted. Obviously. Oh dear.
    There is a great business opportunity in Russia for silent, electric tanks and artillery pieces.

Because those powered by diesel are rather buggered...
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Encouraged a bout of violent 'sightseeing' at the seat of government when he lost?
    I have no doubt he wanted people to get out on the streets. I don't think anyone, least of all those who participated, expected it to get so far out of hand.
    I agree the armed insurrection stuff is weak sauce.

The fake electors, on the other hand, was deliberate policy to overturn a democratic election.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    edited August 29
    Eabhal said:

Not sure about that, I paid £1.339 at Costco for premium diesel this morning which is the lowest it's been in a while. I think if 5p is stuck on they'd have to up it to £1.389 - that said £1.389 is still lower than it's been previously so if the Gov'ts going to do it better to do it now rather than when it's at say £1.50 or whatever.

Of course it'll have the unfortunate effect of raising inflation slightly for everyone as the retailers taking the piss with prices (Everyone bar Costco tbh) will doubtless just slap 5p on even though they have increased profits when it was reduced !
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,097
    edited August 29
    TOPPING said:

I'll take any you don't want.

In my case, they get presented among with other coinage and the occasional note to pay for my purchases at locations such as my local chip shop (they have a card machine, but it takes a year and a day to process if the signal is naff like it is half the time), or sandwich shop (card machine is more reliable, but talking to the owner it works out cheaper for them to handle cash than pay the merchant fees - lots of fairly small transactions make "per transaction" card fees add up quickly).
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,090
    Barnesian said:

Foss said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

New-at-the-bottom has been traditional for flat forums for decades.
    I much prefer new at the bottom. It's like reading a book.
    New at the top is like reading a book backwards.
    In general I agree, but traditionally forums have also provided paging and/or some other way to immediately go to the most recent comments. The Vanilla view embedded in the PB website has neither, so if you want to see what's been posted since you last looked at the thread half an hour ago (or five minutes ago) it's currently a long process of scrolling down and hitting 'more comments' and scrolling down and hitting 'more comments' again and again and again...

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

TOPPING said:

What kind of a faff would it be to try to deposit some coins into a bank account. Aren't they all Costa Coffees now anyway.
    Go to the seaside for the day. Put them in the pokies - and the 2p's into the coin pushers. Hours of fun.

On a wet bank holiday weekend.
    TOPPING said:

Tres said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, most bank branches have closed because very few people need them or use them. See also the rise of online-only banks who don't have to spend millions a year running high-street premises so very weird PBers can throw pound coins at them over the counter.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

viewcode said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Not so.
    Hmm.

I looked again and the picture was obscured by the addition of four SoCalStrategies, two of which had Biden on the poll.

To try to resolve the issue I went to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_2024_United_States_presidential_election#Pennsylvania . The honest response seems to be that now that RFK has manfully run away, the state is too close to call.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Starmer seems to confirm the reports they’re looking at tightening the smoking ban.

Is anyone else getting increasingly bemused that, despite the state of the country, the government is deciding to spend its hard-won political capital on issues like this?
    m.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Cicero said:

Though you shouldn't forget what happened to Clinton, who had a double digit led in the polls in October 2016.

I think any result between a Harris landslide and a narrow Trump win is just about possible - though I have quite a lot of money on Harris winning.
    I think it's possible that Trump wins the Sunbelt and the Rustbelt. It's also possible that Harris does. And it is further possible that they split them.

I tend to agree with you that Harris probably has more room to outperform expectations, but - voter registration numbers apart - the polls do not currently support such an outcome.
    No, they don't.
    But Trump, I think, has a fairly hard ceiling. I don't think Harris does to the same extent.
    A landslide is pretty unlikely, but far more unlikely for Trump.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited August 29

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Genoa - "Juh Noah"
    Leipsic - "Lip sick"

etc etc etc etc

I'm sure @Big_G_NorthWales can tell us all how to pronounce "Ffynnongroew", since it is on the way to .a. aiui ... Clan-did-know. We used to say Fif-un-grew.

I used to go through it 2 or 3 times a year, since my grandparents retired from Sheffield to Prestatyn Beach Road, near the Pink Hotel, which became the Yellow Hotel, and is now the Beige Hotel.

Starmer seems to confirm the reports they’re looking at tightening the smoking ban.

Is anyone else getting increasingly bemused that, despite the state of the country, the government is deciding to spend its hard-won political capital on issues like this?

1) We must do something
    2) This is something
    3) Therefore we must do this
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

Anyone opposed to this policy is pro cancer.

Are you Liz Truss?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Encouraged a bout of violent 'sightseeing' at the seat of government when he lost?
    I have no doubt he wanted people to get out on the streets. I don't think anyone, least of all those who participated, expected it to get so far out of hand.
    I agree the armed insurrection stuff is weak sauce.

The fake electors, on the other hand, was deliberate policy to overturn a democratic election.
    Carrying a noose, assaulting guards, smashing up the Capitol building threatening a Republican VP with lynching.

Nothing to see here, just a normal day in MAGA land.
    TOPPING said:

Tres said:

TOPPING said:

minimal tbh - i just stick it in the coin sorter thingy and it credits my account. No need to even speak to a fellow human being if you're feeling grumpy
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

It's not going to affect me any which way, being a non smoker who doesn't currently frequent pub gardens but there's a distinct touch of authoritarianism & puritanism about the new Gov't (Not that the previous one were brilliant) wafting through the air.
    edited August 29

kamski said:

kamski said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

I'm not here to defend the RCP polling average, but the statement that it's impossible to see why it has Trump ahead from the most recent polls doesn't actually in fact match what I see in the most recent polls, as shown by both 538 and the Silver Bulletin.

I have more faith in their methodology for constructing a polling average than in RCP, but Harris isn't so far ahead that it's impossible for a polling average to show her behind in PA.
    PA is something of an outlier in the rust belt because of the importance of fracking to its economy.
    And while production is at an all time high under Biden/Harris, they're suspicious of her earlier outspoken opposition to the industry.
    The effect of a cashless society will impact the poorest and the elderly the most.

PB may have a fair few of the latter but has little knowledge of the former.

https://www.moneyexpert.com/news/move-cashless-society-will-disproportionately-affect-pensioners-poorest-uk/