Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Life after Starmer – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 27 in General
imageLife after Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Ordinarily when a Labour leader polls circa 33% at a general election it triggers a leadership election however in one of those statistical quirks like Sir Donald Bradman’s test average, no matter how many times you look at it thinking it must be a mistake it turns out be right, Starmer won 411 seats and a 174 seat majority with a 33.7% share of the vote.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 13,604
    So we have judges deciding the values of jobs now.

Interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cj0817jd9dqo
    Oh, and first. How about that then !!!
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,959
    I expect Starmer to fight the next election which first term incumbents tend to win. So we're looking at an event 5 to 8 years away probably.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Labour have outright denied the Times report, FWIW.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

First rule in politics: never believe anything until it's officially denied.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    They want to avoid another Corbyn, never mind about Truss
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541
    Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Isn't the Birmingham council fiasco caused by a similar equal pay claim?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Aren't bank holidays a ludicrous relic in this day and age?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Taz, it's crackers.

Equal pay for the same job is fair. Equal pay for different work is nuts.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722
    The Trade Unions might just have something to say about only MPs voting on the leader.

They are flexing their muscle again.

Was it a denial or "no plans" to do this ?

Mr. Taz, it's crackers.

Equal pay for the same job is fair. Equal pay for different work is nuts.

Morning Morris Dancer, yes it is. Especially when you have the judiciary deciding the value of each job. There are other claims too in a similar vein, Tesco and Asda. I expect they will be won too.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    This is a sensible decision and the Tories should follow suit. A large part of what cratered the Tories last time was the fact that, post-Boris, they decided their priority was appealing to members (manifestos out of the window, tax cut pledges galore) rather than the electorate at large.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Interesting article, about as relevant as a blog about life after Cameron posted six weeks after the 2010 GE.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541
    FF43 said:

I expect Starmer to fight the next election which first term incumbents tend to win. So we're looking at an event 5 to 8 years away probably.

And on that basis, the next Labour leader is probably someone we haven't heard of. Consider the example of the new MP for Huntington in 1979.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    geoffw said:

Aren't bank holidays a ludicrous relic in this day and age?

We have different bank holidays in Scotland. But my consultancy operates English bank holidays as Scottish ones are harder to explain to EU-based clients. So yesterday I didn't work. For them. I was working on YouTube content and in getting the toy business ready to go live next weekend.

I need to slow down. But as much as I feel like I am drowning in a bucket sometimes, there is a buzz to spinning this many plates and trying to build stuff of my own rather than work to make a dollah for someone else.

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Well it is relatively new and surely the Brum thing was caused by the evil Tories not giving councils enough money. That's what was said here many times.

The Brum fiasco was caused by two issues. A massive overspend of 400% on an IT contract and the equal pay claim. The equal pay claim could have been solved for far less but the council didn't do it and continued with some of the practises. For example allowing bin men to go home when they finish their work but paid for the whole shift. Something not extended to other functions. Bin men are predominantly male.
    Taz said:

Was it a denial or "no plans" to do this ?
    I can’t remember. The Times article has the details, buried deep after all the stuff that’s probably been made up.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,313

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Yes, very similar case.

As someone who spent summers as a youth doing retail and warehouse work, give me the retail work any day of the week. Warehouse work is backbreaking and relentless, constantly being monitored by supervisors while dodging forklift trucks.
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Yes, very similar case.

As someone who spent summers as a youth doing retail and warehouse work, give me the retail work any day of the week. Warehouse work is backbreaking and relentless, constantly being monitored by supervisors while dodging forklift trucks.
    Well it is clearly of equal value to supervising a self scan till.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Well it is relatively new and surely the Brum thing was caused by the evil Tories not giving councils enough money. That's what was said here many times.

The Brum fiasco was caused by two issues. A massive overspend of 400% on an IT contract and the equal pay claim. The equal pay claim could have been solved for far less but the council didn't do it and continued with some of the practises. For example allowing bin men to go home when they finish their work but paid for the whole shift. Something not extended to other functions. Bin men are predominantly male.
    Labour stymied same thing in Glasgow, spent countless millions on lawyers over a very long spell and ended up the city had to pay out a fortune in the end. They had to sell all their buildings and city is going to wrack and ruin.
    Anyone excited for the return of Oasis !!!!
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Labour stymied same thing in Glasgow, spent countless millions on lawyers over a very long spell and ended up the city had to pay out a fortune in the end. They had to sell all their buildings and city is going to wrack and ruin.
    Morning Malc, madness isn't it. And the people who pay will be the council tax payers of Brum, Glasgow and all these other ineptly run councils.
    Taz said:

Yes, cannot wait to buy my tickets.
    So Sir Keir Starmer = Sir Donald Bradman.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    On topic, this is surely a good move by Labour, and one that the Tories should also adopt.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,625
    On a point of pedantry:

The next best average for a batsman is 66.78 from 86 tests.

But there is a reason why that quirk isn't counted.

Can anyone guess who it is and why the lower figure of 57.40 is usually cited instead?

Incidentally, cricket is a very unfair sport to bowlers. Chris Martin is remembered for taking more wickets than he scored runs. He was actually applauded when he scored his hundredth run in tests - in about his 60th match.

Nobody ever remembers that Bradman is the only bowler in Test history to trip over his own feet in his delivery stride and break an ankle.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Comparing Keir Starmer with Don Bradman is the most defamatory thread in the pb career of @TSE

There was nothing quirky about Bradman’s test average. He was the greatest batter in the history of the game. A Titan who scored runs at leisure. He averaged his c.100 by scoring at nearly a run a ball, long before Bazball.

Keir Starmer, by contrast, won a landslide because the main Opposition party became unelectable and detestable. He is mediocre. More of a Graham Onions.

Have a nice day :)

xx
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Taz said:

Nope. I would be excited by groups I enjoyed, but also amazed as too many of them are dead. I would love to see Cream, which would be a challenge. Did see the Rolling Stones a few years ago though.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    In Athens, the trierarchs were the 300 richest men. Each was required to fund a trireme, hence the name. If a man felt he'd been unjustly named among their number he could name another he believed was richer. This person had a choice: agree, and pay for a trireme, or disagree, and swap all his possessions with the original man.

They should (if legally permitted) combine the warehouse and retail roles. Give the warehouse chaps a bit of time in retail as it's effectively deemed the same job, and let the ladies of retail whose work is equally valuable discover if the warehouse work is easily comfortable.

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Bin men (and other roles) have always been paid more for working outside. Of course, to all the desk jockeys making up job evaluation schemes, having to work outside sounds like a real imposition. However, if you have ever worked in a Jobcentre, you will lose count of all the people who say they "couldn't work indoors". It's just a preference, like wanting to work in an office, or at home.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Taz said:

Interesting.

Oh FFS. “Now”????? Does anyone pay attention to anything on this board? Job evaluations like this have happened since the Equal Pay Act 1970 was implemented in 1975. That Act was reenacted into the Equality Act 2010 (which was largely a repeal
    and consolidation of previous legislation despite innumerable protestations to the contrary on here) passed under Brown, but the commencement order was given under Cameron, who chose not to leave it dormant like the Easter Act.

But doubtless the right wing poltroons on here will be blaming Starmer and “woke” for a more half century old piece of legislation.

Still, I can write an article on this and get a few clicks.
    Taz said:

Interesting.

Oh FFS. “Now”????? Does anyone pay attention to anything on this board? Job evaluations like this have happened since the Equal Pay Act 1970 was implemented in 1975. That Act was reenacted into the Equality Act 2010 (which was largely a repeal
    and consolidation of previous legislation despite innumerable protestations to the contrary on here) passed under Brown, but the commencement order was given under Cameron, who chose not to leave it dormant like the Easter Act.

But doubtless the right wing poltroons on here will be blaming Starmer and “woke” for a more half century old piece of legislation.

Heathener said:

Comparing Keir Starmer with Don Bradman is the most defamatory thread in the pb career of @TSE

There was nothing quirky about Bradman’s test average. He was the greatest batter in the history of the game. A Titan who scored runs at leisure. He averaged his c.100 by scoring at nearly a run a ball, long before Bazball.

Keir Starmer, by contrast, won a landslide because the main Opposition party became unelectable and detestable. He is mediocre. More of a Graham Onions.

xx

Morning Heathener, hope you are well.
    Deleted - duplicate
    If we're looking at that list, Reeves is a lay. So is Phillipson for the same reason. In fact, Phillipson may well be first out of the cabinet given the complete disaster that's unfolding in education and her complete lack of grasp of the issues that are about to engulf her. None of them are her fault, but her actions are going to make things much worse rather than better.

If Starmer is forced out early, surely the value is Cooper? She's the most experienced member of the Cabinet and she's the highest profile role after the Treasury. Given her age I would have thought if Starmer stays for five years or more she probably won't be a candidate.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Taz said:

Yes, lots of people are very excited for the return of the Gods.

Whereas my reaction is more: "Oh, God. FFS. Make it stop!" ;)
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited August 27
    DougSeal said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Thanks - it did seem to me that the company had based its argument not on the comparability of the jobs themselves but on the market rates paid. So would fall flat on its face?
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
    Yes, but don't look back in anger if you can't get a ticket.
    Taz said:

Definitely maybe.

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
    We already knew you were an Osborne fan, Mr Eagles.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,097
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Unless there is some effort to block women from becoming bin men, or men from becoming office staff, it seems difficult to justify these rulings.

My small business employs entirely blokes - not from policy, but because I've never had a woman even apply. It's physically demanding work in heavy engineering so I'm not entirely surprised.
    Equally, the local sandwich shop seems to employ entirely women - they've had one bloke work there a couple of months in the 10 years or so I've been going in there. Based on this logic, if both enterprises were in joint ownership there's a discrimination claim waiting (I suspect I pay my lads more than the girls get at the sandwich shop), but because they are in separate ownership it's not an issue. Think about that for 30 seconds, and you realise the whole thing is ridiculous.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    Heathener said:

xx

batsman
    ydoethur said:

On a point of pedantry:

Can anyone guess who it is and why the lower figure of 57.40 is usually cited instead?

Incidentally, cricket is a very unfair sport to bowlers. Chris Martin is remembered for taking more wickets than he scored runs. He was actually applauded when he scored his hundredth run in tests - in about his 60th match.

Nobody ever remembers that Bradman is the only bowler in Test history to trip over his own feet in his delivery stride and break an ankle.

They mentioned this the other day on Sky.

That's Kumar Sangakkara's batting average when he played solely as a batsman.
    DougSeal said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Yeah those pesky judges implementing the laws that our elected politicians make.
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Definitely maybe.
    Whatever!
    Starmer is faced with one massive problem and one massive advantage.

The massive problem is that he, personally, is utterly uninspiring. He simply cannot effectively deliver any positive vision or cases for his policies, and his team are also fairly uninspiring. Rayner seems to hate everyone who is not Labour, and Reeves is relentlessly negative. Labour desperately need a little sprinkling of Blair's hope and sunniness.

The massive advantage is that his opponents are in disarray. The Conservatives have to reorganise after a historic trouncing, and the SNP have their own issues. I see this state as continuing for some years.

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
    Glastonbury and Taylor Swift tickets are going to be relatively easy to buy compared to Oasis.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Unless it's roll with it at full time at the Emptihad, I don't want to hear Oasis or anything about them.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Re: header. Entirely agree that when in power it's far better for new leaders to be chosen just by MPs.

Having a parties membership propel a nutter into number 10 is to be avoided in the future.
    Hopefully Oasis will get that other seminal 90s band, Radiohead, to warm up for them.
    edited August 27
    Omnium said:

Re: header. Entirely agree that when in power it's far better for new leaders to be chosen just by MPs.

Having a parties membership propel a nutter into number 10 is to be avoided in the future.

Why only when they're in power?

Much better to avoid the likes of Corbyn, Duncan Smith and probably Jenrick altogether by squeezing the members (or affiliated organisations) out entirely.

They're hardly representative of the country and they usually show the sense and judgment of a drunk badger.

If we wanted to really democratise choosing Prime Minsters, primaries would be the way to go. But I would not expect them to have high turnout and they would be expensive and complicated to organise.

Edit - admittedly, on the two occasions when the membership of a party chose a PM they did make a very wrong choice with very much more immediately disastrous consequences. But that's not an excuse for saying leaders of the opposition are not important too.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Much better to avoid the likes of Corbyn, Duncan Smith and probably Jenrick altogether by squeezing the members (or affiliated organisations) out entirely.

They're hardly representative of the country and they usually show the sense and judgment of a drunk badger.

If we wanted to really democratise choosing Prime Minsters, primaries would be the way to go. But I would not expect them to have high turnout and they would be expensive and complicated to organise.
    Err, MPs chose Sunak and May! Not exactly a ringing endorsement......
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Taz said:

Interesting.

The principle that women should be paid the same as men in equivalent jobs (as opposed to men in the same jobs) was a factor in the 1968 Ford sewing machinists strike in Dagenham, which resulted in the Equal Pay Act 1970

You may have seen the film "Made in Dagenham" that dramatised this.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Edit - admittedly, on the two occasions when the membership of a party chose a PM they did make a very wrong choice with very much more immediately disastrous consequences. But that's not an excuse for saying leaders of the opposition are not important too.
    I reckon IDS would have won in 2001 even if it were just MPs voting.
    DougSeal said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Wind your neck in and stop being so bloody rude all the time.

Not everyone reads everything on this board you know.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

No, the key difference is that before any such oddball or extreme LOTO got their hands on power they would have to win a general election.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098

Starmer is faced with one massive problem and one massive advantage.

The massive problem is that he, personally, is utterly uninspiring. He simply cannot effectively deliver any positive vision or cases for his policies, and his team are also fairly uninspiring. Rayner seems to hate everyone who is not Labour, and Reeves is relentlessly negative. Labour desperately need a little sprinkling of Blair's hope and sunniness.

The massive advantage is that his opponents are in disarray. The Conservatives have to reorganise after a historic trouncing, and the SNP have their own issues. I see this state as continuing for some years.

There are SO MANY open goals at the moment. Reeves is utterly tin-earred, and Starmer is so flat footed in response to events that he's trailing what sounds like the least inspiring speech in history.

It is so frustrating. Tories would have done better to appoint someone quickly....
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
    Glastonbury and Taylor Swift tickets are going to be relatively easy to buy compared to Oasis.
    They will take what they need, and go on their way, and stop crying their heart out...

ydoethur said:

On a point of pedantry:

Wasn't Alec Stewart the reverse, a far better batsman when he was a Wicket Keeper.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,903
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Yes, very similar case.

I've worked in both too and I think it's firm dependent - I'd much rather work in stock than on the floor, and so did almost all my colleagues. Lots more fun without customers to not offend.

But there is no doubt that in general warehouse work is tougher and more dangerous, and if you're using forklifts you should be paid a massive premium given the skill and risk involved. Warehouse management is much more demanding too.

Odd decision. Very weird the idea that Next had the cash to pay workers more - any firm without cash flow issues does. Businesses exist to make a profit and to benefit their shareholders, not to transfer wealth to their employees. If that is no longer the view of the courts...
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

Hopefully Oasis will get that other seminal 90s band, Radiohead, to warm up for them.

They’re too busy reprising Creep as the campaign song for Trump Vance 2024.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Taz said:

You gotta roll with it
    You gotta take your time
    You gotta say what you say
    Don't let anybody get in your way
    'Cause it's all too much for me to take

I hope to see them at Murrayfield if they haven't fallen out again by them.
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Err, MPs chose Sunak and May! Not exactly a ringing endorsement......
    They were far better than Truss and Johnson. As was Brown, three words I never thought I would write in that context in 2010.

(Also, technically, those two were unopposed so neither chose them.)
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

The principle that women should be paid the same as men in equivalent jobs (as opposed to men in the same jobs) was a factor in the 1968 Ford sewing machinists strike in Dagenham, which resulted in the Equal Pay Act 1970

I'm not quite sure that working in a warehouse and working in a store are as similar as the lady in the BBC article states. It would be interesting for her to work in the warehouse for a while to see.

More importantly: how did the judge measure the equal value of these roles? How do you measure it?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Well I'm not sure about the out-of-power situation. I think just MPs would often be better there too, but you can see that if there were just a few MPs (as for example in a small party such as the Tories:) ) then the membership might be a better route.

(Labour's union arrangements should be dropped)
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?

Shamelessly hoping I can play the wheelchair card and get priority*.

(*Though shockingly just 310 of Wembley's 90,000 seats are wheelchair spaces so I can probably dream on.)
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

On a point of pedantry:

Wasn't Alec Stewart the reverse, a far better batsman when he was a Wicket Keeper.
    No - 34 as a keeper, 46 as a batsman.

That may be slightly skewed by the fact he tended to keep wicket later in his career when those eye shots weren't quite so easy and his arms were stiffer (in 2001 he was playing while suffering from tennis elbow).

But, weirdly, England would have had more runs if they had kept Russell as keeper and had Stewart opening than by giving Stewart the gloves and trying a succession of other players at the top of the order.

One of many stupid decisions by the England management of the 1990s.
    edited August 27
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
    Seriously? I mean for a certain demographic Oasis are great. I saw them in the 90s and still remember the performance of Champagne Supernova and it was amazeballs (I also remember one of them calling out the audience for being posh twats and he wasn't entirely wrong). But that demographic is hardly the mass concert going demographic now, is it? Are those people really going to register, wait in the Ticketmaster queue, then input the code, etc, etc?

Not so sure.

Oasis have become a bit more niche than this board might think. But then just check out the demographic of this board...
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

On a point of pedantry:

That may be slightly skewed by the fact he tended to keep wicket later in his career when those eye shots weren't quite so easy and his arms were stiffer (in 2001 he was playing while suffering from tennis elbow).

But, weirdly, England would have had more runs if they had kept Russell as keeper and had Stewart opening than by giving Stewart the gloves and trying a succession of other players at the top of the order.

Russell was a tidy batsman. I guess with the Stewart average the memory cheats.
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

On a point of pedantry:

I'm just watching Freddie Flintoff's prog about cricket (first series) and it's pretty good so far. Can't fault the man for trying.
    DougSeal said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

I was going to say the same thing. This law has been around for more than 50 years. And these large scale actions have been going for at least a couple of decades. Probably done more for Union recruitment in retail and local authorities than anything else they have done.

viewcode said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

I'm not quite sure that working in a warehouse and working in a store are as similar as the lady in the BBC article states. It would be interesting for her to work in the warehouse for a while to see.

More importantly: how did the judge measure the equal value of these roles? How do you measure it?
    The News report said the problem Next had is they could not actually prove why there was a difference between the two.
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

You gotta roll with it
    You gotta take your time

Ah, the old Oasis Soup Joke.

What flavour is the Oasis soup Waiter ?
    I don't know sir, but you get a roll with it.
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

No, not seen it. Heard about it. Catapaulted a few to stardom. The beeb had high hopes for it to be a box office success. Sadly it wasn;t
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

On a point of pedantry:

Russell was a tidy batsman. I guess with the Stewart average the memory cheats.
    One thing he wasn't was tidy. He had a curious ability to squirt the ball everywhere with strange-looking shots.

But left to play his own game at 7 he was perfectly capable of scoring runs. The problem really was that the middle order was so inconsistent, which was largely due to muddled selection policies.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Taz said:

viewcode said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

The News report said the problem Next had is they could not actually prove why there was a difference between the two.
    Warehouse jobs tend to be way more physically demanding is the difference they're looking for.
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
    Seriously? I mean for a certain demographic Oasis are great. I saw them in the 90s and still remember the performance of Champagne Supernova and it was amazeballs (I also remember one of them calling out the audience for being posh twats and he wasn't entirely wrong). But that demographic is hardly the mass concert going demographic now, is it? Are those people really going to register, wait in the Ticketmaster queue, then input the code, etc, etc?

Not so sure.

Oasis have become a bit more niche than this board might think. But then just check out the demographic of this board...
    All of my kids love Oasis. To be honest they reintroduced me to them after neglecting them for a few years. And anyway, the average age of concert goers has been creeping up for a long time.
    TOPPING said:
    James Blunt helped prevent World War 3 and yet that is not his greatest achievement.
    Taz said:

viewcode said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

That seems odd, as the 'differences' feel obvious. One is customer-facing; another is not. One involves working in a shop, the other a warehouse. I'd bet the measures of job performance are different as well. Is it just they did not 'prove' the differences enough for the judge?

(I've never done either job, though I have been in working warehouses in the distant past.)
    edited August 27
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?

Not so sure.

All of my kids love Oasis. To be honest they reintroduced me to them after neglecting them for a few years. And anyway, the average age of concert goers has been creeping up for a long time.
    If you think of any band of your youth, any one (we can try an experiment on here) then it's almost guaranteed that they are on tour somewhere this year. Everyone from Chris de Burgh to the UK Subs.

And I'm sure your children will be interested in the Oasis concert but it's not Glasto or Taylor Swift territory.

Edit: UK Subs are playing Luton on Friday ffs.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?

Not so sure.

If you think of any band of your youth, any one (we can try an experiment on here) then it's almost guaranteed that they are on tour somewhere this year. Everyone from Chris de Burgh to the UK Subs.

And I'm sure your children will be interested in the Oasis concert but it's not Glasto or Taylor Swift territory.

I think Oasis will probably headline Glasto. The tickets for the tour are going to sell out within minutes.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

xx

batsman
    In Bradman's case Batterer might work.
    theProle said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Unless there is some effort to block women from becoming bin men, or men from becoming office staff, it seems difficult to justify these rulings.

My small business employs entirely blokes - not from policy, but because I've never had a woman even apply. It's physically demanding work in heavy engineering so I'm not entirely surprised.
    Equally, the local sandwich shop seems to employ entirely women - they've had one bloke work there a couple of months in the 10 years or so I've been going in there. Based on this logic, if both enterprises were in joint ownership there's a discrimination claim waiting (I suspect I pay my lads more than the girls get at the sandwich shop), but because they are in separate ownership it's not an issue. Think about that for 30 seconds, and you realise the whole thing is ridiculous.
    No. You’d have to prove the jobs were sufficiently similar for a discrimination claim. They do not sound as if they are, so no problem.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,502
    Great to see that world class news operation the BBC can pivot rapidly from Taylor Swift hourly updates to twice hourly puff pieces on will-they-won’t-they Oasis.
    This is our BBC, unfortunately.
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?

Not so sure.

I think Oasis will probably headline Glasto. The tickets for the tour are going to sell out within minutes.
    Oasis at Glasto? Perfect. Area munitions would solve very many problems in that case.

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

xx

batsman
    In Bradman's case Batterer might work.
    That was Gilbert Jessop, surely?
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

You gotta roll with it
    You gotta take your time

I’m (somewhere) in the video for “Roll With It” with a future MP.

Great to see that world class news operation the BBC can pivot rapidly from Taylor Swift hourly updates to twice hourly puff pieces on will-they-won’t-they Oasis.
    This is our BBC, unfortunately.

They live streamed both Reading and Notting Hill so all sides of the woke spectrum are accommodated.

Whether there is the national interest in either/any of those things is however less clear.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,864
    If I was placing a bet in this market it would be on Bridget.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

The Trade Unions might just have something to say about only MPs voting on the leader.

They are flexing their muscle again.

It is the Blairite dream of breaking with the unions and relying instead on a handful of squillionaire donors who give selflessly, not in expectation of policy changes (Ecclestone), Number 10 passes or peerages (every Tory donor). What could go wrong?
    edited August 27
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?

Not so sure.

Plus high profile tours sell out within minutes because the touts buy huge numbers of tickets which appear moments later on Viagogo at several times the face value. Not quite the fans speaking with one voice.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Interesting.

Not a new thing, is it?

Which related to a traditional militancy among bin men....
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,502
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?

Not so sure.

Got my head kicked in (not for the first or last time) at a UK Subs concert at the Summer St 62 Club c.1979. Luckily Airwear soled Docs are a bit more forgiving than your average boot.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    TOPPING said:

Oasis at Glasto? Perfect. Area munitions would solve very many problems in that case.

I seem to recall Oasis whining about rappers appearing at Glasto, followed by Jay-Z opening with Wonderwall...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Are you "Mad for It" ?
    I went into London in a train full of SW Swifties. The idea of a train full of Oasis act-alikes is not exactly appealing...

If I was placing a bet in this market it would be on Bridget.

Why? Genuine question.