Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This poll feels like an outlier – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

For those of you struggling with the possessive, I give you BBC Bitesize Year 3 punctuation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zx9ydxs#zkqmfdm

Any wonder why so many are behind with reading?
    Michael Gove has a lot to answer for.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting.

"One in eight people diagnosed with dementia ‘may have liver disease instead’

Cognitive symptoms are similar to those caused by hepatic encephalopathy, which is caused by cirrhosis and is treatable"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/26/one-in-eight-diagnosed-dementia-may-have-liver-disease/

Psychiatrist at the end of the piece says, basically, it is all bollocks.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781

Andy_JS said:

Interesting.

Cognitive symptoms are similar to those caused by hepatic encephalopathy, which is caused by cirrhosis and is treatable"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/26/one-in-eight-diagnosed-dementia-may-have-liver-disease/

Basically, it’s the Telegraph.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    kamski said:

Carnyx said:

Barnesian said:

If you can't use s apostrophe s for Harris's, when can you use s apostrophe s?

It definitely used to be a thing, but teachers like @ydoethur seem determined to abolish it for some reason

I pronounce it Harris's not Harris' so that's how I write it.
    More than one syllable in the base word, so you are correct.
    ?
    Surely nobody writes
    Roger Waters's album
    Or
    Moses's tablets
    I agree with Barnesian - it follows pronunciation. Though some people write Harris'
    I always pronounce St James' Park as St James's Park.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Nigelb said:

Note for Barty.

3 things that slow the pace of epigenetic aging, from my conversation with
    @prof_horvath, the pioneer of these clocks
    —Exercise
    —More vegetables in diet
    —GLP-1 drugs
    In the new Ground Truths podcast (link in profile)
    "Have these findings changed your diet or made you exercise more or anything like that?"
    Steve Horvath:
    "So I eat a lot of frozen vegetables. My freezer is full of frozen vegetables."

https://x.com/EricTopol/status/1828158492441825555

It's when your freezer is full of defrosted vegetables that you have a problem.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,040

kamski said:

Carnyx said:

Barnesian said:

It definitely used to be a thing, but teachers like @ydoethur seem determined to abolish it for some reason

?
    Surely nobody writes
    Roger Waters's album
    Or
    Moses's tablets
    I agree with Barnesian - it follows pronunciation. Though some people write Harris'

Cambridge: Queens' first XV

Oxford: Queen's' first XV
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,109
    OT reminded of Mrs Thatcher on Cecil Parkinson:-

She had been baffled by what Private Eye referred to as ‘Ugandan affairs’ in relation to Parkinson’s affair with Sarah Keays, saying: ‘I know it’s untrue. He’s never been to Africa.’
    Also OT just spent three quarters of an hour in a Zoom meeting wondering if I was having a heart attack. Then as soon as it ended, the acute chest pain was gone, so I've no idea what that was all about but I should probably press ahead with writing a will, just in case.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

Also OT just spent three quarters of an hour in a Zoom meeting wondering if I was having a heart attack. Then as soon as it ended, the acute chest pain was gone, so I've no idea what that was all about but I should probably press ahead with writing a will, just in case.

Probably worth getting an ECG and some cardiac enzymes done first!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Rather disconcerting that you decided to make the Thatcher anecdote a priority?
    Get checked out. Best of luck and wishes.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    There's an old technology adage: things go slower at first than you would expect, but then go further than you could possibly imagine. Solar and batteries is there right now.

I expect to make a lot of money playing the implications of this over the next decade.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

The Ukrainian Air Force says Russia launched 236 missiles and UAVs today, including:
    -3 Kinzhal air-launched ballistic missile
    -6 Iskander-M / KN-23 ballistic missiles
    -77 Kh-101 cruise missiles
    -28 Kalibr cruise missiles
    -3 Kh-22 cruise missiles
    -10 Kh-59 / Kh-69 air-to-surface missiles from Su-57 and Su-34 aircraft
    -109 Shahed-131 / 136

https://x.com/RALee85/status/1828109957356487086

The evidence that they are running out of modern armaments because of sanctions etc is...mixed.
    The question is can they do it two days in a row? Or three? Or thirty?

Because otherwise, all this is is an unpleasant distraction. It's the V-2 strategy all over again.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,539
    edited August 26
    This is vaguely feeling like 'late John Major' rather than 'early Tony Blair', I fear. Which... also seems the wrong way round.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/clyn01p5npgo

Sir Keir Starmer will say on Tuesday that "it will not be business as usual" when Parliament returns next week.

In a speech from Downing Street's rose garden, the prime minister will say that "we can't go on like this anymore" and that his government will do the "hard work" to "root out 14 years of rot" under the previous Conservative administration.

He will also suggest that this summer's riots showed "cracks in our society" but that the "coming together" of communities afterwards showed "what we stand for".
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

Andy_JS said:

Interesting.

It would show up on some simple blood tests if true.

Though alcoholic dementia is probably underrecognised.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/alcohol-related-dementia
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,174
    edited August 26

For those of you struggling with the possessive, I give you BBC Bitesize Year 3 punctuation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zx9ydxs#zkqmfdm

It's a question of euphony and sometimes subjective.

The BBC is wrong about "Iris's cat" imho.

But "Mr Daniels' dog bit Mr Roberts's cat" is acceptable, and illustrates the problem. It's what most people would say.
    I note the wording in Bitesize (emphasis is mine):

"Top tip!
    If a singular noun already ends in 's', you don't need to add another 's'. You can just add an apostrophe at the end.

For example:

Iris' cat was sleepy."

But, Bitesize do not exclude that you can add the 's if you want

No doubt Bitesize's precision here is lost on most year 3s.
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

The Ukrainian Air Force says Russia launched 236 missiles and UAVs today, including:
    -3 Kh-22 cruise missiles
    -109 Shahed-131 / 136

The evidence that they are running out of modern armaments because of sanctions etc is...mixed.

Because otherwise, all this is is an unpleasant distraction. It's the V-2 strategy all over again.
    They have announced the Wunderwaffe several times now. It's like someone learned the wrong lesson from a very bad history book.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Couple of possible trading bets:

Missouri. Reddish state. Abortion is on the ballot. The Republican Senate candidate is leading the anti-abortion charge. If Harris is really starting to pull ten points clear it might come into play.

And for a crazy left-field bet:

Arkansas. Arkansas's Republican-packed Supreme Court has just backed the Secretary of State's procedural dismissal of a ballot on abortion. This was a popular ballot - it exceeded the threshold of signature by 12% without breaking a sweat - and the Republican hierarchy have foolishly been gloating that they introduced and have now kept a total ban on abortion.

Even with that, if Arkansas goes blue it will be a colossal landslide for Harris, but it may come in in price.

Arkansas elected Bill Clinton as Governor.
    And it voted for Clinton as President. Twice.

That was a long, long time ago.
    Errr: Bill Clinton is younger than Trump, so that can't possibly be true.

What dixie said - get checked out, asap.
    rcs1000 said:

There's an old technology adage: things go slower at first than you would expect, but then go further than you could possibly imagine. Solar and batteries is there right now.

I expect to make a lot of money playing the implications of this over the next decade.
    “ Did you notice that suddenly the headlines look exactly the way old movies thought 2024 headlines would look”
    https://x.com/JasonKPargin/status/1828172417560433082
  • Nigelb said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/nissan-qashqai-hatchback-2010-manual-1461-cc-5-doors/1485198026

David Davis campaigning to abolish our unfair extradition treaty with the US in memory of Mike Lynch.

It's an important campaign (one that Lynch himself was planning when he died) and frankly a brave one. We'll have matured as a nation when it succeeds.

He gave a long interview to the BBC shortly after returning to the UK, during which he talked about it in some detail, emphasising that had he not been very wealthy, it would have been virtually impossible to afford the legal representation necessary to fight the charges,

The US criminal justice system is even more flawed than ours, and the essentially zero standard of evidence required for extradition, to a country where it’s hard to get a fair trial without bankrupting yourself, was a manifest injustice back when the treaty was agreed.
    I thought Trump was guilty?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    Every batshit crazy in town, like moths to the flame...

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

It’s official: Tulsi endorses Trump.
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

-3 Kh-22 cruise missiles
    -109 Shahed-131 / 136

Probably not - they put on a show for Ukraine’s independence day.
    Nonetheless, it’s more than an unpleasant distraction. The V2 didn’t take out our power grid, for example.
    dixiedean said:

Hugh: Glenn, the Special Needs Bill. With your, you know, particular interest, I can't do this.
    Glenn: You know my views, you know. Inclusion is an illusion. It doesn't work.
    Hugh: But you-you don't mind if I -- if I go ahead with it?
    Glenn: Of course not. You know, look...you're only following orders.
    Hugh: Oh, thanks. So you won't make me feel bad except by comparing me to a concentration camp guard?

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

That’s about as significant as me endorsing Harris.
    Possibly less so.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

Has Mel Gibson declared for anyone yet?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

She'd probably have been a slightly better VP candidate in many ways.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUzrb1meGjA

Coincidentally, I was listening to John Finnemore's Moth King sketch earlier today.
    ohnotnow said:

This is vaguely feeling like 'late John Major' rather than 'early Tony Blair', I fear. Which... also seems the wrong way round.

Sir Keir Starmer will say on Tuesday that "it will not be business as usual" when Parliament returns next week.

In a speech from Downing Street's rose garden, the prime minister will say that "we can't go on like this anymore" and that his government will do the "hard work" to "root out 14 years of rot" under the previous Conservative administration.

He will also suggest that this summer's riots showed "cracks in our society" but that the "coming together" of communities afterwards showed "what we stand for".

I think he thinks he's successfully controlling the news agenda... when he isn't. It's almost a bit sad.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

That's probably true actually, at least in terms of the kind of reaction she would have provoked from the Democrats, and she's got more experience in the spotlight than Vance.
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

-3 Kh-22 cruise missiles
    -109 Shahed-131 / 136

Nonetheless, it’s more than an unpleasant distraction. The V2 didn’t take out our power grid, for example.
    Note they just tried to blow up the Kiev hydro electric dam.
    Were they to succeed in that, it could cause mass casualties.

ohnotnow said:

I think he thinks he's successfully controlling the news agenda... when he isn't. It's almost a bit sad.
    I think that's what's giving me the late John Major-era vibes. It's like he's going to hold a press conference about the unaffordability of the 'Cone Hotline'.
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

I think that's what's giving me the late John Major-era vibes. It's like he's going to hold a press conference about the unaffordability of the 'Cone Hotline'.
    "People ask me when we will be able to clear away the cones, and I tell them that the cones will need to be out for at least 10 years while we fix the ruin left behind by the Tories."
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    ohnotnow said:

Compared unfavourably to John Major in - checks calendar - less than two months. Going swimmingly, isn't it?

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

Slightly better for whom?
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

-3 Kh-22 cruise missiles
    -109 Shahed-131 / 136

The power grid will be up and running again tomorrow.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138

ohnotnow said:

Compared unfavourably to John Major in - checks calendar - less than two months. Going swimmingly, isn't it?
    Nothing much wrong with John Major!
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065
    edited August 26
    THE SLEEPER HAS AWOKEN

(trigger warning: not politics nor betting :) )

Some of you may remember "Every Frame a Painting". It was a series of 29 video essays about film form, film editing, and cinematography created by Taylor Ramos and Tony Zhou between 2014 and 2016. It was the archetype for YouTube film essays and IMHO was simply the best, with its lustre burnished by its limited run

Now with some amazement on my part they are bringing it back, albeit for a limited run only. Yes, really

Every great artist has a second wind. Spielberg had his with his one-two punch of Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, Scorsese had Goodfellas and Casino. Can they pull it off or will they, like Russell T Davis, find a return to the well fruitless?

It's going to be fun finding out... :(

https://www.youtube.com/@everyframeapainting

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz

Has Mel Gibson declared for anyone yet?
    I wonder what criterion he will use to decide? (ducks)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,103
    edited August 26

kamski said:

Carnyx said:

Barnesian said:

?
    Surely nobody writes
    Roger Waters's album
    Or
    Moses's tablets

The stadium in the Toon is St James' Park.

The stadium in Exeter is St James Park.

The large open space between Westminster and Buckingham Palace is St James's Park.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    ohnotnow said:

He'll be out in 2029. You heard it here first ;)
    edited August 26

Get yourself checked out. It may have just been stress spending 45 minutes on Zoom, but you should see your GP and get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked just to make sure all is well.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/nissan-qashqai-hatchback-2010-manual-1461-cc-5-doors/1485198026

David Davis campaigning to abolish our unfair extradition treaty with the US in memory of Mike Lynch.

It's an important campaign (one that Lynch himself was planning when he died) and frankly a brave one. We'll have matured as a nation when it succeeds.

CON could probably do worse than appoint DD as their intrim leader for a couple of years (and then review how things are going in 2026)
    edited August 26

ydoethur said:

Comparing Botham to Johnson seems a tad generous for the former PM. No-one would doubt beefy's credential as a legend of the game. I'd have thought Phil Tufnell would be a better one.

Given Starmer's historic achievement in the election, gaining 211 seats(!), the only cricketing comparison that seems reasonable would be Donald Bradman. Are the Tories set to try bodyline tactics as the only way to undo the great man?

Perhaps more Douglas Jardine? The slippery customer who tamed Bradman but managed to blame everyone else for his actions?
    What we really need here for Johnson is someone who was an effective (if unpleasant) winner who, by the way they won, made things impossible for their successors.

Tricky.
    'Long Boris' being responsible for the Tories election defeat is a PB centrist dad myth, to avoid facing the fact that their much heralded 'grown ups' managed to recover control of the Tory Party and promptly buggered it up. Johnson didn't make it impossible for his successors - they both had a fair crack of the whip. Truss fluffed her chance to turn things around, and Sunk never tried to turn things around.
    In hindsight, it seems CON should just have stuck with Boris until 2024 (just as they probably should have stuck with Maggie until 1992) and saw which way the cookie crumbled.

I doubt it would have been any worse than 4th July 2024? 🤷‍♂️
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

ohnotnow said:

will he continue to "rub thier noses in diversity" after the riots? Knowing him he will think we neede to be diversified harder!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,368
    "Emmanuel Macron rules out France having a leftwing government
    French president doubles down on his efforts to assemble a coalition of moderate politicians"

https://www.ft.com/content/0a644ea2-924c-45a5-be37-c7020a8c16f9
    "...Agreed. They seem clueless. Indoctrinated in the failed economic orthodoxy of the last 40 years. They say things are worse than they thought yet stick to Osborne et al’s mantra and expect a different result. The reality must be they WANT to continue on the same destructive path..."

https://nitter.poast.org/ZymurgyZo/status/1827807748999778528#m

(There's nobody flying the plane. There's nobody flying the plane. Just kids in the cockpit, pressing buttons at random and making "neeeee-yoooooow" noises)
    Interesting.

"Novelist J.G. Ballard was experimenting with computer-generated poetry 50 years before ChatGPT was invented"

https://theconversation.com/novelist-j-g-ballard-was-experimenting-with-computer-generated-poetry-50-years-before-chatgpt-was-invented-228638
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting.

"Novelist J.G. Ballard was experimenting with computer-generated poetry 50 years before ChatGPT was invented"

https://theconversation.com/novelist-j-g-ballard-was-experimenting-with-computer-generated-poetry-50-years-before-chatgpt-was-invented-228638

"1984" has a machine that generates stories: a "versificator" iirc.

"Novels" consisting of pages in a box that can be assembled at random were a thing in the 50/60s, although they may be more artistic than narrative generator: I think Burroughs did one?

The computer program "Eliza" attempted to mimic conversational speech in the 1980s, to no good effect.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634

ohnotnow said:

Quite amusing how Starmer's fiercest opponents - whether on left or right - are always his best friends by underestimating him due to their own delusions and prejudices that have festered in their own echo chambers.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

I agree, Starmer shows some signs of being as out of his depth as Major was but without any of the (post-ERM) economic competence.

But he is still strikingly lucky with his opposition. Under Major it was stunningly effective and helped by a fawning press. Now, it is fractured and so far incompetent and shows no sign of getting its act together.
    @RochdalePioneers , your YouTube channel was just spontaneously recommended to me! You're famous!
    "Mark Zuckerberg says White House pressured Meta over Covid-19 content
    Chief of Facebook parent says Biden administration was ‘wrong’ and is ready to ‘push back’ in future"

https://www.ft.com/content/202cb1d6-d5a2-44d4-82a6-ebab404bc28f
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

ydoethur said:

Comparing Botham to Johnson seems a tad generous for the former PM. No-one would doubt beefy's credential as a legend of the game. I'd have thought Phil Tufnell would be a better one.

Given Starmer's historic achievement in the election, gaining 211 seats(!), the only cricketing comparison that seems reasonable would be Donald Bradman. Are the Tories set to try bodyline tactics as the only way to undo the great man?

Perhaps more Douglas Jardine? The slippery customer who tamed Bradman but managed to blame everyone else for his actions?
    What we really need here for Johnson is someone who was an effective (if unpleasant) winner who, by the way they won, made things impossible for their successors.

Tricky.
    'Long Boris' being responsible for the Tories election defeat is a PB centrist dad myth, to avoid facing the fact that their much heralded 'grown ups' managed to recover control of the Tory Party and promptly buggered it up. Johnson didn't make it impossible for his successors - they both had a fair crack of the whip. Truss fluffed her chance to turn things around, and Sunk never tried to turn things around.
    Why is it a 'myth' ? The fact you describe the need for his successors to 'turn things around' shows that the damage was done by Johnson.

Johnson is not *fully* responsible; but I'd say that he was mostly to blame. Truss's insanity did not help, and Sunak was left with a toxic legacy that was impossible to turn around - and then he chose the wrong paths.

But the initial damage was done by Johnson. And it was unforced damage.

Anyway, even if Johnson had never made those mistakes, and had lasted through to this GE, the chance are the Tories would have lost. They'd been in power for fourteen years, the last five of which had been particularly troublesome with Covid and inflation.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Fishing said:

ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

I agree, Starmer shows some signs of being as out of his depth as Major was but without any of the (post-ERM) economic competence.

But he is still strikingly lucky with his opposition. Under Major it was stunningly effective and helped by a fawning press. Now, it is fractured and so far incompetent and shows no sign of getting its act together.
    However, the press is, I think, more obviously biased than ever. The partisan drivel from the Mail, Express, Telegraph et al is making those outlets into tedious, mindless propaganda rags, but it is probably impacting on the overall mood music.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045

ydoethur said:

Tricky.
    Why is it a 'myth' ? The fact you describe the need for his successors to 'turn things around' shows that the damage was done by Johnson.

Johnson is not *fully* responsible; but I'd say that he was mostly to blame. Truss's insanity did not help, and Sunak was left with a toxic legacy that was impossible to turn around - and then he chose the wrong paths.

Anyway, even if Johnson had never made those mistakes, and had lasted through to this GE, the chance are the Tories would have lost. They'd been in power for fourteen years, the last five of which had been particularly troublesome with Covid and inflation.
    People, including Conservatives, did warn that making the unfit Johnson leader and PM would be pact with the devil that risked trashing the party. 2 years after he quit the Conservatives got their worst ever election result.
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Interesting.

"Novels" consisting of pages in a box that can be assembled at random were a thing in the 50/60s, although they may be more artistic than narrative generator: I think Burroughs did one?

The computer program "Eliza" attempted to mimic conversational speech in the 1980s, to no good effect.
    Why do you think it was to no good effect?
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Interesting.

Why do you think it was to no good effect?
    You are Eliza AICMFP.
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

Tricky.

People, including Conservatives, did warn that making the unfit Johnson leader and PM would be pact with the devil that risked trashing the party. 2 years after he quit the Conservatives got their worst ever election result.
    Yes, a mere two years later, with Boris out of politics and a totally different PM on offer, the electorate voted in Labour to 'punish Johnson'.
    edited August 27
    Cicero said:

Fishing said:

ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

However, the press is, I think, more obviously biased than ever. The partisan drivel from the Mail, Express, Telegraph et al is making those outlets into tedious, mindless propaganda rags, but it is probably impacting on the overall mood music.
    It isn't just the papers, it's the internet. This isn't 1997, you can't just get Murdoch on-side and then you've 'done it'. I don't think people bought Reeves' 'black hole', especially not after the union pay deals. I don’t think they buy that Labour are bringing a new probity to politics given the funding for access story that is growing. The riots were meant to be hung around Farage's neck, but Reform's polls are soaring. Starmer's grim tidings that he's going to try to blame the Tories for are very much going to be seen as Starmer's choices - you can't get away with giving people a turd and telling them it's a box of milk tray these days.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    Fishing said:

ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

Another way of saying Starmer is much better than everyone else?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553

NEW THREAD

kamski said:

ydoethur said:

Tricky.

Well, yes. That's the point: it was predictable. The flaws that led to Johnson's downfall were all too visible well before he became PM. The Conservative Party ignored those flaws, and it is now paying the price.

kamski said:

ydoethur said:

Tricky.

Yes, a mere two years later, with Boris out of politics and a totally different PM on offer, the electorate voted in Labour to 'punish Johnson'.
    Why put 'punish Johnson' in quotes when, as far as I can see from a quick look, no-one has said that?
This discussion has been closed.