Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A real boost for Trump – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 26 in General
A real boost for Trump – politicalbetting.com

Kennedy is going to drop out and embrace Trump; polls show Kennedy takes more votes from Trump than from Harris. https://t.co/l9FQDbDAQm

Read the full story here

Comments

• jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 775
    edited August 22
    First gentleman, like Doug Emhoff
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,625
    T'rouble at t'mill as Kennedy drops out?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Another loser bites the dust
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,604
    Is Kennedy still going to be on the ballots anywhere ?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Excellent highlight package from Walz's speech last night at the Convention: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/21/tim-walz-dnc-harris-vp

It was very good. I particularly liked the reference to Project 2025. "As a school coach, and trust me on this, when the other side go to the trouble to produce a playbook they are going to use it."

But most of it was relentlessly positive. "While other states were banning books we banned hunger from our schools."

I think Conventions speak almost exclusively to the converted. That is not a complete waste of time, it motivates and drives the base creating armies of volunteers and we have seen evidence of that this week. Walz says they have 76 days, "that's nothing, you can sleep when you are dead".

So I don't expect a massive movement in the polls but if Harris can keep this going with her speech she is going to have a very well funded, very organised and very determined party united behind her. I am not sure Trump has any of these advantages and an endorsement from RFK is not going to change this.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

First gentleman, like Doug Emhoff

Great book, the Crow Road. The grandmother's funeral had tears of laughter rolling down my face.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    edited August 22
    FPT

Andy_JS said:

The odd thing about Kennedy is that it's difficult to say whether his candidacy most hurt/helped either of the main two candidates.

He is a weird part of the Kennedy family. One thing you can rely on - the whole of the rest of the Kennedy family will be united in saying that by supporting Trump, he is going against the entire legacy of the Kennedy political clan. To the extent that JFK still has any political memory with the voters, it will be using that memory against Trump.

They'd be wrong - Trump is a wealthy, entitled, apparently charismatic, philandering Daddy's boy and bullshitter who was shot by some mad loser. Pretty much the linear descendent of JFK.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,745
    DavidL said:

Excellent highlight package from Walz's speech last night at the Convention: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/21/tim-walz-dnc-harris-vp

It was very good. I particularly liked the reference to Project 2025. "As a school coach, and trust me on this, when the other side go to the trouble to produce a playbook they are going to use it."

But most of it was relentlessly positive. "While other states were banning books we banned hunger from our schools."

I think Conventions speak almost exclusively to the converted. ..

Not entirely.
    Fox, for example, broadcast Biden's speech in its entirety, albeit with an enormous amount if negative editorialising.
    https://apnews.com/article/democrats-fox-harris-trump-33db0a7ffb9b1c14236fd799d4196331

And, of course, you've had a number of Republicans speaking at the DNC, as they endorse Harris.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,864
    Good morning. Trigger warning:

"Transport Secretary Louise Haigh has said decisions on introducing road calming and safety schemes, such as 20mph zones, should remain with local communities rather than her department."

Trump actively hallucinating now.
    https://x.com/MikeSington/status/1826362402876915741
    Caped Kennedy.

("Caped" is a term used in railway circles when a train gets cancelled mid journey.)
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648

"Transport Secretary Louise Haigh has said decisions on introducing road calming and safety schemes, such as 20mph zones, should remain with local communities rather than her department."

"I'm not touching that with a 20-foot pole" said Haigh yesterday
    Nigelb said:
    Now?!!
    That Waltz passed free lunches for kids in school was the number one thing swing voters knew about him. And they all liked it.
    https://x.com/SarahLongwell25/status/1826461717301203030

"I'm not touching that with a 20-foot pole" said Haigh yesterday
    It's hardly breaking news.
    It is interesting being in Wales for a few days and obeying the new 20mph speed limit. Everywhere I seem to build up massive queues of irritable locals.

This is in the north-east, so one of the areas worst affected and where the three local councils have been most resistant to making adjustments.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    edited August 22
    Nigelb said:
    Now?

(Beaten to it!)

Nigelb said:
    Now?

(Beaten to it!)
    ... and then.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,903
    edited August 22

That's a response to the Conservative trying to stop LAs putting in place LTNs, 20mph limits and bus lanes.

If you're a fan of local democracy this is welcome news. In the Streets Ahead podcast she suggested that councils will have her full support if they go for schemes like this, which I think relates to the fact many councillors get extreme levels of personal abuse whenever they try, despite overwhelming democratic mandates to do so.

What's interesting is that the new shadow Transport Secretary has come out strongly against it, very much in the big government/culture war mode.
    ydoethur said:

It is interesting being in Wales for a few days and obeying the new 20mph speed limit. Everywhere I seem to build up massive queues of irritable locals.

This is in the north-east, so one of the areas worst affected and where the three local councils have been most resistant to making adjustments.

Good on you! It only takes one law abiding driver (or commercial/emergency vehicle) to enforce them.

Given the number of roads that are already excepted from 20mph, I suspected that councils would find it difficult to find any more without pissing off local residents (people like driving at 30mph past other people's houses). I'd guess that is what is happening here?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,313
    edited August 22

Caped Kennedy.

("Caped" is a term used in railway circles when a train gets cancelled mid journey.)

As opposed to Cape Kennedy, from where the astronauts bound for the moon left this planet.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    ydoethur said:

The lack of signage is a huge problem. Blink and you might miss that you have left the 20 and entered a 30. I am generally in favour, although LA implementation has been poor. Andrew RT Davies is going to row back the whole shambles when he becomes FM next year. Now that isn't necessarily good for road safety but if it wins him votes, why not?
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good on you! It only takes one law abiding driver (or commercial/emergency vehicle) to enforce them.

Given the number of roads that are already excepted from 20mph, I suspected that councils would find it difficult to find any more without pissing off local residents (people like driving at 30mph past other people's houses). I'd guess that is what is happening here?
    Nope. It's just Denbigh and Flint have been apathetic about doing a proper in-depth study of speed limits, unlike say Gwynedd.

The reaction I'm seeing suggests this is pissing locals off more than tourists.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Fresh from throwing money at the public sector wage bill, Labour seem to be continuing their cliche pattern with a planned windfall tax: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cje2ynege5zo

How's that focus on growth working out, between the windfall tax and cutting investment to fling cash at the unions?
    edited August 22
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Nope. It's just Denbigh and Flint have been apathetic about doing a proper in-depth study of speed limits, unlike say Gwynedd.

Hang on - there are very few restricted roads in the north-east of Wales, and even those have plenty of exceptions to the 20mph rule. Wrexham has quite a few, couple of streets in Ruthin, one in Llangollen... by this mapping, it's probably the least impacted part of Wales: https://datamap.gov.wales/maps/roads-affected-by-changes-to-the-speed-limit-on-re/view#/

Compare and contrast to somewhere like Edinburgh, where almost everything inside the bypass is 20mph or moving towards it.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,959
    ydoethur said:

You should come to Scotland. 20mph zones in built up areas are near universal and uncontroversial. The zones started being introduced some years ago organically and recently in a more coordinated way.

You really notice the difference as a pedestrian when you move to England. People drive significantly faster in towns there and it's less pleasant.
  • Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

If people choose to live on a main road, what's wrong with driving past their home at 30mph or 40mph or 50mph if that's the speed limit?

Main arterial roads should be 40 or 50mph through towns and 60 or 70mph outside of towns.

20 is plenty for residential streets, but arteries are not residential streets.

Good morning, everyone.

Fresh from throwing money at the public sector wage bill, Labour seem to be continuing their cliche pattern with a planned windfall tax: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cje2ynege5zo

How's that focus on growth working out, between the windfall tax and cutting investment to fling cash at the unions?

You'd rather the doctors were still on strike? Fair enough.

I would rather have patients treated and waiting lists cut. Like under the last Labour government.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722
    Fishing said:

FPT

Andy_JS said:

The odd thing about Kennedy is that it's difficult to say whether his candidacy most hurt/helped either of the main two candidates.

He is a weird part of the Kennedy family. One thing you can rely on - the whole of the rest of the Kennedy family will be united in saying that by supporting Trump, he is going against the entire legacy of the Kennedy political clan. To the extent that JFK still has any political memory with the voters, it will be using that memory against Trump.

They'd be wrong - Trump is a wealthy, entitled, apparently charismatic, philandering Daddy's boy and bullshitter who was shot by some mad loser. Pretty much the linear descendent of JFK.
    But... one got immortalised in American culture when the bullet took off the top of his head.

The other got mocked when he wore a head-nappy that covered the impact of a tiny bullet fragment on the top of his ear...
    edited August 22
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Hang on - there are very few restricted roads in the north-east of Wales, and even those have plenty of exceptions to the 20mph rule. By this mapping, it's probably the least impacted part of Wales: https://datamap.gov.wales/maps/roads-affected-by-changes-to-the-speed-limit-on-re/view#/

Compare and contrast to somewhere like Edinburgh, where almost everything inside the bypass is 20mph or moving towards it.
    That map isn't correct. Of the 20mph zones I've been driving through, it's got Ruthin and Llanfiar MG but not Cerrigydrudion or Pwllglas.

Edit - on a double check, not Llanfair either
    DavidL said:

I think Conventions speak almost exclusively to the converted. That is not a complete waste of time, it motivates and drives the base creating armies of volunteers and we have seen evidence of that this week. Walz says they have 76 days, "that's nothing, you can sleep when you are dead".

So I don't expect a massive movement in the polls but if Harris can keep this going with her speech she is going to have a very well funded, very organised and very determined party united behind her. I am not sure Trump has any of these advantages and an endorsement from RFK is not going to change this.

Walz made politics accessible - in the guise of football.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BaswtaRvMTU

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

If people choose to live on a main road, what's wrong with driving past their home at 30mph or 40mph or 50mph if that's the speed limit?

Main arterial roads should be 40 or 50mph through towns and 60 or 70mph outside of towns.

The politics of it. At a national level, opposition to 20mph might make sense but when a constituency MP or councillor proposes increasing speeds in their areas, they get into difficulty.

Consider the glorious example of Sunderland Conservatives.
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Hang on - there are very few restricted roads in the north-east of Wales, and even those have plenty of exceptions to the 20mph rule. By this mapping, it's probably the least impacted part of Wales: https://datamap.gov.wales/maps/roads-affected-by-changes-to-the-speed-limit-on-re/view#/

That map isn't correct. Of the 20mph zones I've been driving through, it's got Ruthin and Llanfiar MG but not Cerrigydrudion or Pwllglas.

That would suggest they were 20mph limits already.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Hang on - there are very few restricted roads in the north-east of Wales, and even those have plenty of exceptions to the 20mph rule. Wrexham has quite a few, couple of streets in Ruthin, one in Llangollen... by this mapping, it's probably the least impacted part of Wales: https://datamap.gov.wales/maps/roads-affected-by-changes-to-the-speed-limit-on-re/view#/

When these restrictions are organic they work better. The party political trumpeting of policies like 20 in Wales and extending ULEZ give rise to the contrary party political argument ( even if the party of opposition originally agreed the plan). The Uxbridge by election brought this home to the Conservatives. Campaign against the formalised "war on the motorist" and elections are won.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited August 22
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

The politics of it. At a national level, opposition to 20mph might make sense but when a constituency MP or councillor proposes increasing speeds in their areas, they get into difficulty.

Consider the glorious example of Sunderland Conservatives.
    I don't know Sunderland so can't comment, but where I live we have 40mph and 50mph routes through most of town, and 30mph through parts of it. 20mph is not used on any arteries and is instead on local roads only - including what used to be the A road for one artery but is now marked as local traffic only and the A road is now the new 50mph road.

That seems sensible to me.

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

When these restrictions are organic they work better. The party political trumpeting of policies like 20 in Wales and extending ULEZ give rise to the contrary party political argument ( even if the party of opposition originally agreed the plan). The Uxbridge by election brought this home to the Conservatives. Campaign against the formalised "war on the motorist" and elections are won.
    They lost the mayoral election in London and lost Uxbridge in the GE.

Good morning, everyone.

You'd rather the doctors were still on strike? Fair enough.

I would rather have patients treated and waiting lists cut. Like under the last Labour government.
    At what cost though? The money is ultimately going to come out of the ability to treat patients on those waiting lists. A friend of mine is waiting to have bones fused in his feet to ease the pain of arthritis. He has been to hospital three times, been prepped for surgery three times - to be sent home three times, because they didn't have a basic piece of kit available for the surgery.

But hey, the doctors got paid their inflated salaries.
    I rather suspect Kennedy has dropped out because there was no room left for him to get any oxygen of publicity, in this fight to the death between Trump and Harris. He'd been up at 15% in some polls in his pomp. Recently he's been lucky to register 3%. His bubble was well and truly burst.

Nobody at the Democrat Convention is even bothering to mock him.
    edited August 22
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

It might, but the signs all appear to be new. They might, of course, have been renewed at the same time, or only have been introduced just before. But if the latter, we're splitting hairs about the ubiquity of them.

Edit - I'm remembering that article you sent me by mistake for something else, about how important it was when changing speed limits to prepare the ground carefully and make sure everyone had bought into and understood the changes. The reaction I'm seeing here suggests that just hasn't happened. But equally, I seem to remember that wasn't a point of dispute.
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

Because, what, housing is so abundant and so reasonably priced that if anyone lives in a particular place we can confidently say that is exactly where they want to live?

I rather suspect Kennedy has dropped out because there was no room left for him to get any oxygen of publicity, in this fight to the death between Trump and Harris. He'd been up at 15% in some polls in his pomp. Recently he's been lucky to register 3%. His bubble was well and truly burst.

I knew RFK. RFK was no friend of mine. And sir, I can't be arsed to talk about RFK.
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Edinburgh is getting to be a shithole, the dumbo's are hell bent on ruining the tourist trade as well by adding daily tourist tax.
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

It might, but the signs all appear to be new. They might, of course, have been renewed at the same time, or only have been introduced just before. But if the latter, we're splitting hairs about the ubiquity of them.

Edit - I'm remembering that article you sent me by mistake for something else, about how important it was when changing speed limits to prepare the ground carefully and make sure everyone had bought into and understood the changes. The reaction I'm seeing here suggests that just hasn't happened. But equally, I seem to remember that wasn't a point of dispute.
    I'm suggesting that much of the opposition to 20mph limits in Wales is based on false information. Indeed, what BigG describes as the perfect suite of speed limits is in effect what the Welsh government has introduced, given the very large number of existing exceptions (and perhaps more after the consultation).

Indeed, you've just demonstrated that a number of the limits were already in place, but are being falsely attributed to the new scheme. You can't cater for that kind of misinformation, and you either rely on your democratic mandate and tough it out, or capitulate.
    edited August 22

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

That does get more complicated in Wales, where the lack of bypasses means very often they are the same thing. Ponterwyd or Rhayader or Aberystwyth, for example.

There are some however classified as residential that really are not. The A44 at Llangurig where the 20mph zone goes past the church, the pub and a garage springs to mind. The village itself is on a back street...
    edited August 22
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Edinburgh is getting to be a shithole, the dumbo's are hell bent on ruining the tourist trade as well by adding daily tourist tax.
    Dunno, I quite like it and a tourist tax would bring Edinburgh in line with other tourist-heavy cities in Europe.

You don't have to live here. Indeed, you don't.
    edited August 22
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

I'm suggesting that much of the opposition to 20mph limits in Wales is based on false information. Indeed, what BigG describes as the perfect suite of speed limits is in effect what the Welsh government has introduced, given the very large number of existing exceptions (and perhaps more after the consultation).

Indeed, you've just demonstrated that a number of the limits were already in place, but are being falsely attributed to the new scheme. You can't cater for that kind of misinformation, and you either rely on your democratic mandate and tough it out, or capitulate.
    My point is that (1) I'm not sure they were* (2) if they were introduced in anticipation of the new scheme that's a distinction without a difference and (3) six 20mph limits in a small area are a major difference compared to two, so it would be possible to still notice and dislike the change.

*I certainly wouldn't put it past the Welsh government to put out incorrect information. They make the DfE look competent.
  • mercator said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

Because, what, housing is so abundant and so reasonably priced that if anyone lives in a particular place we can confidently say that is exactly where they want to live?
    No, but we can and should build more houses.

Building more roads can help facilitate that too. Win/win.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    Eabhal said:

That's a response to the Conservative trying to stop LAs putting in place LTNs, 20mph limits and bus lanes.

If you're a fan of local democracy this is welcome news. In the Streets Ahead podcast she suggested that councils will have her full support if they go for schemes like this, which I think relates to the fact many councillors get extreme levels of personal abuse whenever they try, despite overwhelming democratic mandates to do so.

What's interesting is that the new shadow Transport Secretary has come out strongly against it, very much in the big government/culture war mode.
    "overwhelming democratic mandates" - oh, my sides.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    The Economist SKS fans who wrote to the Guardian at GE claiming SKS had a credible economic plan

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/19/labour-is-offering-a-credible-plan-to-address-britains-economic-problems

Reputations lay in tatters
  • On topic, RFK Jr should've effectively sold his endorsement to Trump when his stock was relatively high, polling at over 10%. Now it just looks like what it is - a no-hoper, limping out of the race with a massive pile of debt and a load of grim stories about his seedy past having been dredged up.

He hung on way too long and it sounds as if all he's got from Trump is that someone in Mar a Lago returns RFK Jr's crank calls, and there's a vague suggestion Donald may give him a passing thought when drawing up a longlist for the next US Ambassador to Liechenstein.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

That does get more complicated in Wales, where the lack of bypasses means very often they are the same thing. Ponterwyd or Rhayader or Aberystwyth, for example.

There are some however classified as residential that really are not. The A44 at Llangurig where the 20mph zone goes past the church, the pub and a garage springs to mind. The village itself is on a back street...
    Yes, this is ridiculous:

https://tinyurl.com/bdzwt32j
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

Didn’t it used to be a 60 limit right up to the roundabout, when heading Eastbound?

That roundabout used to be the finish line of the “Escape from Aber” Rag trip time trial, a long time ago.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Jenrick reported as saying he would "be delighted" to have Johnson in the Shadow Cabinet.

Oh Dear.

None of them are any good, are they?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13766829/Boris-Johnson-Robert-Jenrick-shadow-cabinet-Tory-leadership-contes.html

Still if the Tories lose enough seats next time, the shadow cabinet could be Lib Dem (or even Labour)
    Driver said:

Eabhal said:

"overwhelming democratic mandates" - oh, my sides.
    How many places have conducted referendums on such schemes?
    Conservative pundit ten days ago.

At this point, the GOP has so devastated Walz, I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Shapiro show up at the DNC as their vice presidential pick.
    https://x.com/EWErickson/status/1822818721221533853
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,462
    A Kennedy who will now actively campaign and support Donald 'end democracy' Trump?

The shame on the family and its good name is immeasurable.
  • ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

Yes that's just dumb.

If you want to slow down roads there's a simple solution which is to build bypasses and then relieve the traffic onto the bypass.

The problem is some people aren't interested in actually addressing issues and instead just hate people driving at a reasonable speed.
    Cicero said:

Jenrick reported as saying he would "be delighted" to have Johnson in the Shadow Cabinet.

Oh Dear.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13766829/Boris-Johnson-Robert-Jenrick-shadow-cabinet-Tory-leadership-contes.html

Still if the Tories lose enough seats next time, the shadow cabinet could be Lib Dem (or even Labour)

LOL. Johnson would have Jenrick ousted and replaced by himself within months if he really was in the Shad Cab!!
  • Good morning, everyone.

You don't want people to be paid a decent wage for doing the jobs you don't want (or can't) do?
    Why?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

I would suggest you have no idea about the actual position in Wales both in public opinion which indicates 70% opposition to the way the scheme has been implemented from those actually living and driving in Wales, and you seem to ignore that the Welsh government itself concedes it is to change

You can go from 20mph to 30 mph to 40 mph back to 20mph over the Little Orme in a distance less than three quarters of a mie when the previous speed limit was 30 mph and 40mph

Look at the maps from Edinburgh as much as you want but that is not what is the experience nor is it some conspiracy theory that it is based on misinformation

Frankly the issue has been widely discussed in Wales by those living in Wales and the government have listened so little point in arguing an issue that the Welsh have dealt with

The two main parties stitched up the debates between themselves, so as to keep him out (this year’s debates are not organised by the Commission that usually organises them, but directly by the parties and the media orgs), and the Dem lawfare machine is trying their best to tie him up in court cases surrounding his eligibility, keeping him off the campaign trail.

So the only chance he has is interviews and adverts. The mainstream media are ignoring him, the alternate media has done a few interviews, and he’s not got a spare $100m in the bank to throw at adverts three months out.

He’s got a difficult choice to make, as he’s clearly not going to get a Ross Perot-sized share of the vote, is it worth the money and effort to continue with 5-7% looking as good as it gets for him?
    That JD Vance pick is maybe not the absolute worst idea in the world, after all...

BREAKING: Donald Trump Jr. just endorsed the idea of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. joining the Trump administration as potential CIA director.
    https://x.com/LeadingReport/status/1826322351635792086
    Austerity (didn't work for 14 years, so let's do some more of it.)Reeves

She is the definition of insanity.

And of course more Tory than the Tories
  • Look, the Kennedy that most MAGA types are waiting for is JFK Jr. He will return 😉
    Nigelb said:

That JD Vance pick is maybe not the absolute worst idea in the world, after all...

BREAKING: Donald Trump Jr. just endorsed the idea of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. joining the Trump administration as potential CIA director.

Can we have the 'WTF' button back for this post, please?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

I would suggest you have no idea about the actual position in Wales both in public opinion which indicates 70% opposition to the way the scheme has been implemented from those actually living and driving in Wales, and you seem to ignore that the Welsh government itself concedes it is to change

You can go from 20mph to 30 mph to 40 mph back to 20mph over the Little Orme in a distance less than three quarters of a mie when the previous speed limit was 30 mph and 40mph

Look at the maps from Edinburgh as much as you want but that is not what is the experience nor is it some conspiracy theory that it is based on misinformation

Frankly the issue has been widely discussed in Wales by those living in Wales and the government have listened so little point in arguing an issue that the Welsh have dealt with
    PBers resident in one nation of the UK not commenting on other nations? Revolutionary concept.

Good morning, everyone.

You don't want people to be paid a decent wage for doing the jobs you don't want (or can't) do?
    Why?
    Train drivers and Doctor's are among the highest paid in the country already, what do you count as a decent wage £150K
    Nigelb said:

Now that would be hilarious.

I wonder what interest Mr Kennedy might have in an access all areas job at the CIA…?
    edited August 22
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

Yes, this is ridiculous:

They've also put in place three 30mph limits at various places along the main road from Llangurig to Aberystwyth where it isn't residential. The reason given is 'weak edges.' That didn't seem popular when I went along it the other day either.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    I really don't think an RFK Jr withdrawal helps Trump that much. For starters he is a pro choice on abortion, anti corporation, pro environmental regulation son of Democratic royalty. Indeed Yougov had Kennedy Jr taking 47% of Biden 2020 voters and 43% of Trump 2020 voters ie about even

"Is Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. drawing more support from Biden or from Trump? | YouGov" https://today.yougov.com/politics/articles/49697-is-robert-f-kennedy-jr-drawing-more-support-from-biden-or-trump-poll

If anything his withdrawal may impact the popular vote more as in safe states like New York, California or Texas voters are more likely to be making a third party protest vote than swing states where every vote counts
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

PBers resident in one nation of the UK not commenting on other nations? Revolutionary concept.
    Maybe but the Welsh government has accepted the error in implementation, and not based on misinformation, so in this case the argument is over in Wales
    Sandpit said:

The two main parties stitched up the debates between themselves, so as to keep him out (this year’s debates are not organised by the Commission that usually organises them, but directly by the parties and the media orgs), and the Dem lawfare machine is trying their best to tie him up in court cases surrounding his eligibility, keeping him off the campaign trail.

So the only chance he has is interviews and adverts. The mainstream media are ignoring him, the alternate media has done a few interviews, and he’s not got a spare $100m in the bank to throw at adverts three months out.

He’s got a difficult choice to make, as he’s clearly not going to get a Ross Perot-sized share of the vote, is it worth the money and effort to continue with 5-7% looking as good as it gets for him?
    Plus he has obviously been told that if he kisses the ring of the Cult leader he will be given a top job.
    A good penultimate night for the Democrats with Walz and Bill Clinton targeting white Middle Americans and Oprah appearing to shore up the black vote for Harris

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

Hello BigG , hope you are well. We see yet again these anti - car nutters desperate to stop people being able to get around whilst they live in large cities and even different countries, they spout crap about using bikes and public transport. Bet they are worst polluters to boot as they fly off to the sun etc.
    If somebody who comments on Scottish affairs despite not living there is a Scotch expert* then is somebody who comments on Welsh affairs despite not living there a Welch expert?

Sounds positively libellous for a betting site if put that way, so I hope not!

*or Stuart Dickson.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    HYUFD said:

I really don't think an RFK Jr withdrawal helps Trump that much. For starters he is a pro choice on abortion, anti corporation, pro environmental regulation son of Democratic royalty. Indeed Yougov had Kennedy Jr taking 47% of Biden 2020 voters and 43% of Trump 2020 voters ie about even

"Is Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. drawing more support from Biden or from Trump? | YouGov" https://today.yougov.com/politics/articles/49697-is-robert-f-kennedy-jr-drawing-more-support-from-biden-or-trump-poll

If anything his withdrawal may impact the popular vote more as in safe states like New York, California or Texas voters are more likely to be making a third party protest vote than swing states where every vote counts

I think there was some evidence that a bunch of his voters seem to have moved to Harris, already?
    SKS Fans your vote for Labour turned out to be
    22-44% rise in Water Bills
    Two Child Cap kept
    10m pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance Axed
    Big military spend increase
    £3bn of NHS contracts offered to private sector
    £5.5bn Austerity for Public Services
    5,500 released early from prison

Congratulations great work

malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

Why?
    Train drivers and Doctor's are among the highest paid in the country already, what do you count as a decent wage £150K
    Malc, PB Tories get the shits if a public sector worker gets a payrise, but feel a warm glow if Serco get their bin collection contract renewed. You're better than that, mate.

Two Child Cap kept

That's BEFORE the austerity Budget...
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    Sandpit said:

Laughable. He was bankrolled by Trump donors when they wanted him to take votes from Biden. Now he's taking more votes from Trump than Harris so he's quitting. He's also a liar, a hypocrite and a nasty piece of work, so might get along ok with Trump for a bit.

malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

Why?
    Malc, PB Tories get the shits if a public sector worker gets a payrise, but feel a warm glow if Serco get their bin collection contract renewed. You're better than that, mate.
    He isn't

Two Child Cap kept

That's BEFORE the austerity Budget...
    But not before whisky taxes have been cut?
    edited August 22

Two Child Cap kept

Also an end to the social care costs cap and likely higher capital gains tax and inheritance tax in the autumn and VAT added to private school fees
    edited August 22

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning

The map is that published by the Welsh Government. If you think their civil service GIS team is providing false information you should probably take them to court.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

Yes, this is ridiculous:

I still maintain this road near me should be a 40 https://tinyurl.com/5n7f524t got done for doing 36 about 6 years back.
    ydoethur said:

If somebody who comments on Scottish affairs despite not living there is a Scotch expert* then is somebody who comments on Welsh affairs despite not living there a Welch expert?

Sounds positively libellous for a betting site if put that way, so I hope not!

*or Stuart Dickson.

And there was me thinking that a Scotch expert was someone who could tell an 18-year-old Macallan from an 18-year-old Glenfiddich?

I’m happy to volunteer by the way, if someone would like to send me a bottle of each I will post the results here.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    HYUFD said:

I think it's a small positive for Trump, but only a small one. If he'd been polling 6-10% it night have been different, but at 3% in the polls (and with many of his votes likely you stay home), I'd say it's only worth a point for him.

Still, a point in a close race could tip a state over the edge.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042

HYUFD said:

I think there was some evidence that a bunch of his voters seem to have moved to Harris, already?
    Yes, the poll HYUFD quotes is ancient history (clue: it has Biden in it). You can look at recent polls and Trump usually (not always) does a point better in the head to head polling than in the 5-way polling that includes Stein and West so might understate the benefit Trump would get from Kennedy quitting.
    Sandpit said:

He's currently not on the ballot in New York. Other states are looking at using the reasons he was barred there to kick him off theirs too.

There's no way he gets close to 5- 7% nationally. I doubt he'll even make that in any state where he's on the ballot.
    Cicero said:

Oh Dear.

For winning back Reform voters that would be a good move, though Boris would need a safe seat first or a place in the Lords
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541
    HYUFD said:

Two Child Cap kept

Also an end to the social care costs cap and likely higher capital gains tax and inheritance tax in the autumn and VAT added to private school fees
    It's as if there's no money left.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    It's just dawned on me that Boris might try to return via a Richmond/Yorkshire by-election if Rishi decides to stand down.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Why italicise that?

Yes, this is ridiculous:

I still maintain this road near me should be a 40 https://tinyurl.com/5n7f524t got done for doing 36 about 6 years back.
    It's close. I can see why that's 30, but bit harsh to nick people on it for 36. This 30 limit on the way into Guildford catches people (not speed cameras, but police camera vans love it):

https://tinyurl.com/yyhzjdhc
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Stopper,

"You don't want people to be paid a decent wage for doing the jobs you don't want (or can't) do?
    Why?"

Doctors and train drivers are not poorly paid. Their pay increases are not due to the Government deciding, on merit/economic circumstance, rises are needed but in response to the threat of strike action. They also, of course, benefit from practically guaranteed employment (provided they don't commit some horrendous act) and pensions.

As for work I can't or don't want to do: that applies to a huge variety of jobs. And a job not being something I want to do doesn't make it saintly, and even saintly jobs require a level of pay that's affordable.

Money is absent when required for planned investment. But it's always there when the unions come knocking (at least, so far in this Labour Government's brief time in office).
    Fishing said:

FPT

Andy_JS said:

JFK was better looking and a better orator and Roman Catholic unlike Presbyterian Trump, though not a billionaire unlike Trump, though his father was
  • franklynfranklyn Posts: 318
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

Oh Dear.

For winning back Reform voters that would be a good move, though Boris would need a safe seat first or a place in the Lords
    Well with Boris in the Lords he could sit with his daughter
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    ydoethur said:

T'rouble at t'mill as Kennedy drops out?

Good way of putting it.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    Andy_JS said:

It's just dawned on me that Boris might try to return via a Richmond/Yorkshire by-election if Rishi decides to stand down.

Would any future Tory leader really want Boris hanging around again? What a headache: forever looking over your shoulder, forever fretting about what schemes he's hatching.
  • franklynfranklyn Posts: 318
    The fight for the leadershio of the Tory party really is dire. Have we ever had a more miserable selection of candidates?

How long before the right wing defect to become Faragists and the old school middle ground Tories join the Lib Dems

And who would donate to the Tory's now??
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    I've just watched the highlights of Coach Walz's speech, linked to earlier. My word, he's impressive, regardless of political views. One of the most effective and articulate down-to-earth communicators I've ever seen - with apparently not much practice, certainly not to an audience of that size and importance.

Starmer should watch it and learn a thing or two from it, especially if he wants his 'son of a toolmaker' stuff to resonate more favourably. He is just so stiff in comparison to Walz.
This discussion has been closed.