Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Breaking…Sky News on the Deputy Speaker, Nigel Evans

Comments

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,233
    timmo said:

timmo said:

I see Ladbrokes have suspended the UKIP price on Eastleigh on the next GE..

Not surprised...Lib Dems could be toast

Why?
    Because its becoming obvious that the Tories will vote tactically in Eastleigh for UKIP. To kick the Lib Dems out.
    It's the old Lib Dem trick turned on them...what lovely irony
    Go on. I'll grant you that Milligan and Price exceeded 50% so there was a plurality, but I suspect the Con vote still has a floor at about 20%.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?
    Because its becoming obvious that the Tories will vote tactically in Eastleigh for UKIP. To kick the Lib Dems out.
    Tories don't vote tactically.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Ribble Valley was one of only two seats the Tories lost in by-elections during the 1990s but then held/won back in 1997. The other was Christchurch.

Eastbourne should be on that list.
    Yes. I think those three are the only ones.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2013

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?
    UKIP are small government conservatives. That Tories haven't voted tactically for Lab/LD is a different thing.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

Interesting three headlines

Mirror - Rape
    Mail - Gay Rape
    Telegraph - "rape"

All too predictable.

Considering how eccentric/bonkers some sun headlines have been lately I wonder how they will cover it.

• Options
    Someone needs to sort out the laws on naming people who've been arrested.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?

But they might, on rare occasions, be minded to vote strategically. OL.

Just this once mind.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/MPritchardMP/status/330776403240951809

Is Pritchard being a little precious? We all accept that anyone arrested may be released without charge, and that those charged are entitled to a presumption of innocence until a court decides the reality.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    kle4 said:

Back to Tebbit, I know I'm not the first to say or think it, but I really don't see the logic of how promising a date for an EU referendum would draw people back to the Cameroon Tories, because Cameron still wants to be in the EU, and they don't. They'll like the opportunity to vote sooner, but won't thank the Cameroons for it.

I also think people over-estimate how important Europe is to UKIP support. Really, this is all about the fact that a great many people feel that the metropolitan elite have taken over the Conservative Party, and that they want something more traditional. UKIP today is Veritas, only with a better leader. Even if Europe were to disappear as an issue, there would still be strong support for a traditional, right-Wing, conservative (with a small 'c') party.

Historically, the Conservative Party has been an alliance between business and the metropolitan elites on the one side, and the small 'c' conservatives in the shires. Together they were almost unbeatable.

However, these two elements are diverging - big business and the urban elite, by and large, want close links with Europe, and are keen on freedom of movement. The small 'c' conservatives in the shires, feel that these things dilute British-ness, and change the country in ways they don't like. They feel - rightly or wrongly - that they are the ones who are competing for jobs with immigrants, while investment bankers in Hampstead enjoy cheaper builders and cleaners.

There is no clean way to heal this divide, because the two main sponsors of Conservatism are moving in different directions.

Neither strand of Conservatism has enough support in the country as a whole to get a majority. If these strands cannot heal their differences - which is quite possible - then the country is going to have four main political parties (and the SNP, yes yes yes), and we will start having some very unpredictable and potentially unrepresentative election results. UKIP on 20%, and the Conservatives on 30% at the general election would almost certainly result in a staggeringly large Labour majority - even though 'right wing' parties garnered half the votes. But that is another issue all together.
  • Options
    Just tried to watch last night's Newsnight. Had to give up, Bob Neill is just too irritating.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,046
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Back to Tebbit, I know I'm not the first to say or think it, but I really don't see the logic of how promising a date for an EU referendum would draw people back to the Cameroon Tories, because Cameron still wants to be in the EU, and they don't. They'll like the opportunity to vote sooner, but won't thank the Cameroons for it.

I also think people over-estimate how important Europe is to UKIP support. Really, this is all about the fact that a great many people feel that the metropolitan elite have taken over the Conservative Party, and that they want something more traditional.
    That would probably explain, or at least contribute to the explanation, of why their support and percetion has altered so much in the past couple of years.

• Options
    It's what's known as a can of worms. All those 'exclusive' and 'exclusive pics' don't magically appear out of the goodness of anyone's heart.

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Innocent until proven guilty,
    That's the way!
    Unless he's Tory
    And he's Gay...
  • Options
    tim said:

Slow learners

@suttonnick: Observer front page - "Tories call for rapid Europe vote to halt Farage surge" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/iK9Y6MQbKz

Who could possibly have seen that coming?

*chuckle*

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    AveryLP said:

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?

But they might, on rare occasions, be minded to vote strategically. OL.

Just this once mind.

LOL
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    @AveryLP

Google Hedgehog and Eton Boating Song - might fill in the blanks in a manner of speaking.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Neither strand of Conservatism has enough support in the country as a whole to get a majority. If these strands cannot heal their differences - which is quite possible - then the country is going to have four main political parties (and the SNP, yes yes yes), and we will start having some very unpredictable and potentially unrepresentative election results. UKIP on 20%, and the Conservatives on 30% at the general election would almost certainly result in a staggeringly large Labour majority - even though 'right wing' parties garnered half the votes. But that is another issue all together.
    In Canada, the Reform Party (UKIP) absorbed the Conservative Party (Cameroons).
  • Options
    tim said:

Slow learners

@suttonnick: Observer front page - "Tories call for rapid Europe vote to halt Farage surge" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/iK9Y6MQbKz

Translation - Tories call for fighting symptom, not disease.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I also think people over-estimate how important Europe is to UKIP support. Really, this is all about the fact that a great many people feel that the metropolitan elite have taken over the Conservative Party, and that they want something more traditional. UKIP today is Veritas, only with a better leader. Even if Europe were to disappear as an issue, there would still be strong support for a traditional, right-Wing, conservative (with a small 'c') party.

Historically, the Conservative Party has been an alliance between business and the metropolitan elites on the one side, and the small 'c' conservatives in the shires. Together they were almost unbeatable.

However, these two elements are diverging - big business and the urban elite, by and large, want close links with Europe, and are keen on freedom of movement. The small 'c' conservatives in the shires, feel that these things dilute British-ness, and change the country in ways they don't like. They feel - rightly or wrongly - that they are the ones who are competing for jobs with immigrants, while investment bankers in Hampstead enjoy cheaper builders and cleaners.

There is no clean way to heal this divide, because the two main sponsors of Conservatism are moving in different directions.

All the stuff after

"I also think people over-estimate how important Europe is to UKIP support."

is why the corrupt monster-state is vital.

It creates the possibility of an alliance between trad tories and a large chunk of the trad working class - not only the chunk Thatcher had but the Tories lost after the ERM / sleaze etc but also another chunk who want revenge on Labour.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    Time to start backing/topping up on Boris as next Tory Leader/PM?

The Sunday Times say UKIP say they will do a deal with Boris.

I'll post the details when the full article is up
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dr_spyn said:

@AveryLP

Google Hedgehog and Eton Boating Song - might fill in the blanks in a manner of speaking.

I was once threatened with eviction from a Parisian bistro for singing that, Dr. Spyn.

Either that or the song "On the first day of Christmas, my truelove sent to me, My Lord Montague of Beaulieu".

It is always difficult to know what subject causes the French most offence.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Not that I think it is likely, but it would be a truly ignominious end for such a old and established political party.

Personally I'd prefer two large centrish parties, for left and right, and significant but smaller parties of the left and right (without the 'centre' prefix) to offer some proper choice - such that when voters wanted to go more extreme, the outside parties were larger, large enough for coalition and influence, and if the voters want moderation, they stick with the centre parties and the more extreme ones can shout from the sidelines without worrying about being disloyal to their party like the tory right at present.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

If there iis a vacancy as Deputy Speaker how might it be filed? A betting market?

Elected by the whole house

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-05375.pdf
    I think you mistook my intention: who would be the runners and riders, at what odds?
    Well it would have to be someone from the Tory side.

I don't think was a market last time for Deputy Speakers.

A job for another Etonian then...
    Surely, not.

Deputy posts must be filled with Harrovians, Westminsters and Paulines.

At least David Davis would be satisfied.

Nothing for a Carthusian like Carswell though.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

dr_spyn said:

@AveryLP

I was once threatened with eviction from a Parisian bistro for singing that, Dr. Spyn.

Either that or the song "On the first day of Christmas, my truelove sent to me, My Lord Montague of Beaulieu".

Try singing Ou est la papier in a Parisian bar.
  • Options
    Regardless of practical factors Ukips's best weapon is "they're all the same" i.e. the political class is a caste who operate against the public on issues where the different wings of the caste all agree - like the EU. The shenanigans around the Lisbon non-referendum is one of the best examples of that.
  • Options
    thawnthawn Posts: 1
    What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? He hasn't been charged.
  • Options
    thawn said:

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? He hasn't been charged.

I believe most people are merely conjecturing in the event of a future charge/conviction, not that they necessarily believe that will happen.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

Nick

The Euro double mandates had been banned in 2004 with sitting MEPs having a sunset clause until 2009. The government had to make a special law in the meantime for LibDem Baroness Ludford as the Euro law talked about National Parliaments including the House of Lords.

As always I defer to your expert knowledge!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2013
    I am not in good form today though.

I didn't have a proper rest. Too many results, divisions, wards, kippers, boudary changes.

Nick

The Euro double mandates had been banned in 2004 with sitting MEPs having a sunset clause until 2009. The government had to make a special law in the meantime for LibDem Baroness Ludford as the Euro law talked about National Parliaments including the House of Lords.

• Options
    kle4 said:

I believe most people are merely conjecturing in the event of a future charge/conviction, not that they necessarily believe that will happen.

Quite so. I believe this is also hardly the first time similar circumstances have arisen for those with a short memory.

• Options

AveryLP said:

dr_spyn said:

@AveryLP

Try singing Ou est la papier in a Parisian bar.
    Tarquin Farquar III, who claims to be an Old Etonian, gives his version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0YdMng1P4A
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Eagles, that would require Boris to be leader by 2015, would it not?

Unless they mean a deal in the election after next.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

And that wasn't about Europe either :-)

(And the Canadian Conservatives, i.e. the old Reform lot, support same sex marriage these days too, so I wouldn't push the analogy too far.)
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that would require Boris to be leader by 2015, would it not?

Unless they mean a deal in the election after next.

We have to wait to find out.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

It's what's known as a can of worms. All those 'exclusive' and 'exclusive pics' don't magically appear out of the goodness of anyone's heart.

The Mirror article was quoting neighbours. No chance that one of them provided a tipoff, is there?
  • Options
    It's also worth mentioning that Lepidus, Mark Antony and Octavian did a deal too.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Incidentally, the Notts website has a lovely quirky photo to illustrate the election turnout:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/
  • Options
    Opinium/Observer poll. Labour 35, Tories 28, Ukip 17, Lib Dems 9%. Just 31% see Ed Miliband as a future PM.
  • Options
    MrJones:

It creates the possibility of an alliance between trad tories and a large chunk of the trad working class - not only the chunk Thatcher had but the Tories lost after the ERM / sleaze etc but also another chunk who want revenge on Labour.

But it only creates such an alliance for as long as Europe remains as an issue. Should we leave the EU, but remain members of the EEA (like Switzerland or Norway), then Europe would be largely neutralised as a political issue, I would have thought.

In which case, how long do you think the coalition between the traditional working classes and the country squires will last?
  • Options

Opinium/Observer poll. Labour 35, Tories 28, Ukip 17, Lib Dems 9%. Just 31% see Ed Miliband as a future PM.

Changes from the last poll

Labour nc

Tories minus 1

UKIP nc

LD plus 1
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Not that I think it is likely, but it would be a truly ignominious end for such a old and established political party.

Personally I'd prefer two large centrish parties, for left and right, and significant but smaller parties of the left and right (without the 'centre' prefix) to offer some proper choice - such that when voters wanted to go more extreme, the outside parties were larger, large enough for coalition and influence, and if the voters want moderation, they stick with the centre parties and the more extreme ones can shout from the sidelines without worrying about being disloyal to their party like the tory right at present.
    If candidates were selected by primaries it might not matter. The party would change to suit the electorate.

You could also have multi-member constituencies and excess candidates to increase choice combining primary and election in one shot.

Centralisation of political power in Brussels and Westminster has been mirrored within the party structures too.

(Ferdinand Mount's "The New Few" touches on this)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    @AveryLP

Must be something to do with On the third day of Christmas...
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The Mirror article was quoting neighbours. No chance that one of them provided a tipoff, is there?

You would be amazed at the innumerable propitious circumstances occurring that lead to an 'exclusive'. Or perhaps you wouldn't. ;)
  • Options
    Nick

I looked at Notts results. I expected a more comfortable Lab gain because I thought Labour would have gained more seats in Ashefield. The LibDems did pretty well.
  • Options

It's also worth mentioning that Lepidus, Mark Antony and Octavian did a deal too.

I predict any Tory/UKIP alliance will be denounced as the worst alliance in history, topping even Molotov/Ribentropp alliance
  • Options
    Just 31% of people said they could see Miliband as prime minister, with 11% saying they could "definitely" envisage him in Downing Street and 20% saying they could probably see him the top job.

Even among Labour supporters, only 71% said they could see him as PM (30% definitely and 41% probably). 21% of Labour supporters said they could "probably not" see him as PM and 3% said they could "definitely not" envisage him in Downing Street.

The findings represent a small improvement on September last year, when only 28% of voters said they saw him as a potential prime minister.

The net approval ratings for the three party leaders put Cameron narrowly ahead on a net score of -19 (32% approving and 51% disapproving) compared to -20 for Miliband (23% approving and 43% disapproving) while Nick Clegg is on -45 (14% approving and 59% disapproving).
  • Options

I always feel sorry for poor Lepidus - whatever the historical reality, the guy is so little remembered next to the other two. His portrayal in the show Rome by a low key second string Alan Rickman type was pretty funny.

• Options

I am not in good form today though.

I didn't have a proper rest. Too many results, divisions, wards, kippers, boudary changes.

Nick

That's ok, I'm sure I speak for PBers of all political persuasions, that we really appreciate the hard work you put in for the site.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,445

Opinium/The Sunil:

Tory/UKIP 45%
    Lab/LD 44%
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, yeah. Even more than Crassus, who had the distinction of being arguably the richest man ever and the, uh, career-defining Battle of Carrhae, Lepidus is a bit of a non-entity. Particularly sad for him, given the second triumvirate actually had some legal footing, unlike the first one, which was a friends' agreement.
  • Options
    We need a third party to join the Boris/Farage pact.

So we could say it was the greatest Triumvirate in history
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,350
    What's the situation with the Sutton Coldfield by-election? We expecting it any time soon?

Could they hold SC and Ribble Valley on the same day?

Neither seems particularly fertile UKIP territory, but if the Kippers could come up with a decent candidate they might have a chance in RV.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Mr. Eagles, indeed. Dr. Parma is a great asset to the site.

Edited extra bit: what's wrong with a duumvirate?
  • Options
    Oh Christ, I just proved Godwin's law.
  • Options

Peter Hitchens lets rip at Mr Slippery:

It was so wonderful to watch it all blow up in ther faces at the weekend, the Kenneth Clarke outburst followed by the visible gulp, and the cold sweat, as they wondered suddenly ‘what if they actually do take votes from us?’

And now Mr Slippery is bleating that he is sorry: “We need to show respect for people who have taken the choice to support this party and we are going to work really hard to win them back.”

Surely nobody will believe this. Respect? Fear, more likely. What he means is “ Blast! We counted on them remaining loyal whatever we did, and now find that we were wrong. They are more intelligent than we gave them credit for, and we have hurt their feelings. But we are not intelligent enough to see that the cat is out of the bag. They know what we’re really like and will never forget it. So we will once again treat them as if they were stupid. We will pretend, really hard, that we actually like them, at least until the votes are counted at the next general election, after which we will go back to doing what we always did.”

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/05/its-too-late-to-say-youre-sorry-mr-slippery.html

How's the "modernisation" project going, Mr Finklestein?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    If an MP is charged with such an offence, would they have to stand down ? It would be a bit difficult to continue representing constituents, so I would think they would have to, unless parliament has a system where neighbouring MP's offer cover.
  • Options

What's the situation with the Sutton Coldfield by-election? We expecting it any time soon?

Neither seems particularly fertile UKIP territory, but if the Kippers could come up with a decent candidate they might have a chance in RV.

The Vacancy for our European Commissioner isn't until next year, so no by-election until then.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?
    UKIP are small government conservatives. That Tories haven't voted tactically for Lab/LD is a different thing.

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?

Very true *like*

From the mid 1990's to 2010 the Lib Dems were in strong sympathy with New Labour, so it would be unlikely for Tories to vote for them to keep Labour out. There may be some exceptions, such as Sheffield Hallam which was a safe Conservative seat through the 80's and 90's. Those voters now vote Lib Dem to keep out Labour.

Tories voting tactically for UKIP is a far more reasonable expectation. Indeed highly likely next time round in a few places like Eastleigh.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@AveryLP

Must be something to do with On the third day of Christmas...

Liberté, Egalité et Fraternité.

• Options

Mr. Eagles, indeed. Dr. Parma is a great asset to the site.

Edited extra bit: what's wrong with a duumvirate?

Duumvirate could be easily parodied into Dumbvirate.
  • Options

Changes from the last poll

Labour nc

Tories minus 1

UKIP nc

LD plus 1
    "Opinium Research carried out an online survey of 1,951 GB adults aged 18+ from 30 April to 2 May 2013."

I'm assuming the results day UKIP fest will move the numbers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    TSE

I put parts of Staffs Moorlands in Stafford rather than Stone in the previous thread!

If Sunil had been an expert also of train stations, I could have been killed because of my lack of geo knowledge!

• Options
    ?

Really? You might as well refer to a cryumvirate.

Anyway, I am off for the night.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

If an MP is charged with such an offence, would they have to stand down ? It would be a bit difficult to continue representing constituents, so I would think they would have to, unless parliament has a system where neighbouring MP's offer cover.

Innocent until proven guilty.

He could follow the example of the former MP for Eastleigh, resign as Deputy Speaker, but carry on until after the jury have delivered their verdict.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

And that wasn't about Europe either :-)

(And the Canadian Conservatives, i.e. the old Reform lot, support same sex marriage these days too, so I wouldn't push the analogy too far.)
    If it came to pass there would be a final outing of that well worn Canadian phrase...a terrrrrrrrrible night for the Tories.
  • Options

Salmond.

The Curry House Triumvirate.

• Options

TSE

I put parts of Staffs Moorlands in Stafford rather than Stone some hours ago!

If Sunil had been an expert also on train stations, I could have been killed!

That's nothing to worry about, I don't know what parts make up my constituency.
  • Options

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?

Very true *like*

From the mid 1990's to 2010 the Lib Dems were in strong sympathy with New Labour, so it would be unlikely for Tories to vote for them to keep Labour out. There may be some exceptions, such as Sheffield Hallam which was a safe Conservative seat through the 80's and 90's. Those voters now vote Lib Dem to keep out Labour.

Tories voting tactically for UKIP is a far more reasonable expectation. Indeed highly likely next time round in a few places like Eastleigh.
    And Eastleigh residents should be used to bar charts by now: "Only UKIP can beat the LDs!"

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones:

But it only creates such an alliance for as long as Europe remains as an issue. Should we leave the EU, but remain members of the EEA (like Switzerland or Norway), then Europe would be largely neutralised as a political issue, I would have thought.

In which case, how long do you think the coalition between the traditional working classes and the country squires will last?

Well it's not just squires is it. Under normal circumstances in socio-economic terms the people near the mid-point tend to split in opposite directions towards centre-right or centre-left even though they're quite close on the spectrum. So there's potentially quite a lot of them.

As to the main point, politics is balkanizing so there are other dynamics at play pushing in the same direction but yes if you stripped all those out then leaving the EU would stop being a unifying issue after we left it.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Regardless of practical factors Ukips's best weapon is "they're all the same" i.e. the political class is a caste who operate against the public on issues where the different wings of the caste all agree - like the EU. The shenanigans around the Lisbon non-referendum is one of the best examples of that.

I think you're absolutely right. In the near term, UKIP will be able to ride the 'new politics' bandwagon. We are the only people who listen; they are all the same; our policies are in your interest and we won't lie to you.

Unfortunately, their website betrays that they exactly like all the other political parties. I love the idea of a flat tax - as a 45% tax payer, I would benefit enormously. Unfortunately, with a third of all income taxes coming from the top one percent of tax payers, cutting our taxes in half would do nothing to cut the deficit.

And yes, 50% of GDP coming from the state is too much. Unfortunately, their plans to cut spending (which would need to fall 30% to balance the budget after you've cut my tax in half) are laughable. It would be good to cut the welfare bill, yes: unfortunately, their policies won't achieve that. Take pensions (which accounts for half of all welfares spending). They want a flat 'Citizen's pension" of 130 pounds per week, that is non-means tested, etc. Which is great. Unfortunately multiplying the proposed amount by the number of pensioners gets us pretty much to current spending on state pensions. And there are a lot of people who would qualify for more than UKIP's proposed citizens pensiong, gven the Basic State Pension is just two-third of the current bill. So, the proposed Citizens' Pension would result in the largest component of welfare increasing.

I have written in the past about the absurdity of UKIP's energy policies and shan't do so again, beyond saying that no political party can meaningfully reduce the cost of electricity in this country.

So, remind me: outside the USP of Europe, what are the actual policies of UKIP that are meaningfully more aligned with reality than those of other political parties?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Salmond.

The Curry House Triumvirate.

Curry House and British politics will forever be associated with this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/politics_show/5335134.stm
  • Options

The Vacancy for our European Commissioner isn't until next year, so no by-election until then.
    Thanks TSE. I was puzzled by the refs to it I had seen.

Could they just leave the seat empty until the GE? There couldn't be much more than a year to run. (Not that I think holding Sutton Coldfield would be difficult for the Tories to hold, even at the height of a UKIP epidemic.)
  • Options
    UKIP heading toward 20% in the polls. YouGov for the Sunday Times will be interesting.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

timmo said:

timmo said:

Why?

Well times they are achangin
  • Options
    Sky News have their cameras firmly parked outside Evans house.

Classy.

Are they expecting a statement?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I disagree. While the effect you are talking about is true, I think major pillars of UKIP's attraction are being anti-EU, and anti-mass immigration. If we leave the EU, the first would obviously go, and the major parties would control European immigration. That would be two pillars gone, and UKIP would struggle to go on without them, IMO.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

You would be amazed at the innumerable propitious circumstances occurring that lead to an 'exclusive'. Or perhaps you wouldn't. ;)
    I don't suppose Max Clifford is brokering many deals at the moment - even if he could use the income from his agency fees.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Btw, in the 118 local by-elections held on Thursday (so people elected in 2010-11-12)

5 Con gain from LD (Cheltenham, Malvern Hills, Spelthorne, Vale of White Horse, South Cambs)

2 Con gain from Lab (Wellingborough, Wycombe)

5 UKIP gain from Con (Basildon, Boston, Adur, Epping Forest, Forest of Dean)

4 Ind gain from Con (East Herts, East Devon, Runnymade, Scarborough

3 Lab gain from Con (Tamworth, Scarborough, Stroud)

3 LD gain from Con (South Cambridgeshire, South Ribble,Vale of White Horse)

1 Liberal gain from Con (Reydale)

1 UKIP gain from LD (East Lindsey)

2 Lab gain from LD (Ipswich, Mendip)

1 Lab gain from Green (Cambridge)

1 Ind gain from LD (Uttlesford )

All other contests were retained by the party defending
  • Options
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I disagree. While the effect you are talking about is true, I think major pillars of UKIP's attraction are being anti-EU, and anti-mass immigration. If we leave the EU, the first would obviously go, and the major parties would control European immigration. That would be two pillars gone, and UKIP would struggle to go on without them, IMO.

If that's true, why is it that UKIP has done disproportionately better in places with fewer European immigrants, and worse in places with more?
  • Options

Could they just leave the seat empty until the GE? There couldn't be much more than a year to run. (Not that I think holding Sutton Coldfield would be difficult for the Tories to hold, even at the height of a UKIP epidemic.)
    There is a possibility that another party could move the writ for the by-election.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

I think you're absolutely right. In the near term, UKIP will be able to ride the 'new politics' bandwagon. We are the only people who listen; they are all the same; our policies are in your interest and we won't lie to you.

Unfortunately, their website betrays that they exactly like all the other political parties. I love the idea of a flat tax - as a 45% tax payer, I would benefit enormously. Unfortunately, with a third of all income taxes coming from the top one percent of tax payers, cutting our taxes in half would do nothing to cut the deficit.

And yes, 50% of GDP coming from the state is too much. Unfortunately, their plans to cut spending (which would need to fall 30% to balance the budget after you've cut my tax in half) are laughable. It would be good to cut the welfare bill, yes: unfortunately, their policies won't achieve that. Take pensions (which accounts for half of all welfares spending). They want a flat 'Citizen's pension" of 130 pounds per week, that is non-means tested, etc. Which is great. Unfortunately multiplying the proposed amount by the number of pensioners gets us pretty much to current spending on state pensions. And there are a lot of people who would qualify for more than UKIP's proposed citizens pensiong, gven the Basic State Pension is just two-third of the current bill. So, the proposed Citizens' Pension would result in the largest component of welfare increasing.

I have written in the past about the absurdity of UKIP's energy policies and shan't do so again, beyond saying that no political party can meaningfully reduce the cost of electricity in this country.

So, remind me: outside the USP of Europe, what are the actual policies of UKIP that are meaningfully more aligned with reality than those of other political parties?
    Which version of reality - the BBC one or the real one?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    tim said:

Slow learners

What is Ed's offering?

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Story about NHS Helpline on Sky right now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

What is Ed's offering?

Given that the latest tory hilarity is a referendum on a referendum, little Ed could boldly top that with a referendum on a referendum on a referendum.

The kippers won't know what's hit them. Nor will anyone else for that matter. ;)

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Robert, your post is just another LibDem clutching at straws as you try to save your treacherous EU dream.

You may well be right about a big Labour majority but you have absolutely no idea what drives Ukip supporters.
  • Options

tim said:

Slow learners

What is Ed's offering?

Labour just doubled its councillors in the places where votes took place on Thursday. Despite trying to tar everyone with the same brush, the UKIP problem is primarily a Tory one.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

My point is that all politicians lie to the people about what is achievable and what is affordable. UKIP's USP to me is not Europe, but that they say that, "unlike all the others, we will tell you the truth". Yet their selection of policies is as unrealistic as any one elses. In fact from a straight 'doing the sums on the deficit' basis it's much worse than the Tories, a little worse than the Labour Party, and may even rival the Liberal Democrats for utter economic illiteracy.

I am not saying UKIP is terrible or awful or anything like that. I am merely pointing out that their claim to be something fundamentally different and more honest is vacuous and false.
  • Options

There is a possibility that another party could move the writ for the by-election.
    Noted with thanx, TSE.

So it's perfectly possible Dave could be faced with a couple of awkward by-elections fairly close to the GE.

Not been a good week for him, has it?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

If that's true, why is it that UKIP has done disproportionately better in places with fewer European immigrants, and worse in places with more?
    THere aren't too many Europeans in Folkesone as I just saw on Sky. All 3 wards fell to UKIP.
  • Options

Robert, your post is just another LibDem clutching at straws as you try to save your treacherous EU dream.

You may well be right about a big Labour majority but you have absolutely no idea what drives Ukip supporters.

Why on earth do you think I'm a LibDem?

And I have on several occasions advocated a looser relationship with Europe than our current one. I believe the word I used was 'semi detached'.

Trust me, us urban elite don't want a bunch of bearded liberals running the country.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    surbiton said:

Story about NHS Helpline on Sky right now.

A sad but totally inappropriate story too.

The complainant's husband was dying of cancer, which he had been battling for five years. He start muscle spasms and needed an injection which "could only be administered by a qualified nurse".

She spent half an hour on the phone after dialling 111. She reports a poor response, which is quite probably true, but the real question to be asked is why she called 111 in the first place. Surely the service is not there to deal with the circumstances described.

Would be interested to hear from Dr. Sox on this.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Noted with thanx, TSE.

So it's perfectly possible Dave could be faced with a couple of awkward by-elections fairly close to the GE.

IMHO, this week has been rather good for Dave/The Tories in some/a lot of ways.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Are you mad? It's been near perfect as the PBtory spinners will no doubt tell you.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Are you mad? It been near perfect as the PBtory spinners will no doubt tell you.

One does wonder if even spinners have their limits though.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    rcs1000 said:

Why on earth do you think I'm a LibDem?

And I have on several occasions advocated a looser relationship with Europe than our current one. I believe the word I used was 'semi detached'.

Trust me, us urban elite don't want a bunch of bearded liberals running the country.
    It is similar to people thinking I am a tab because my father went there.

My father going there is the reason I am not a tab.

I empathise fully Robert.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

THere aren't too many Europeans in Folkesone as I just saw on Sky. All 3 wards fell to UKIP.
    The BBC version of reality leaves out a lot of stuff that's been happening in the south coast towns over the last ten-ish years.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

I am not saying UKIP is terrible or awful or anything like that. I am merely pointing out that their claim to be something fundamentally different and more honest is vacuous and false.
    Indeed - I think at present people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, in part because of anger at 'all the rest', but at the end of the day they are a political party like any other, as manu of the issues people hate about our political leaders are not partisan issues, they are political issues, and so UKIP are as prone to them as any other. They're just tapping into public support the others currently are not, for several reasons.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

One does wonder if even spinners have their limits though.

You might, I don't.
    Not that little Ed has covered himself in glory either but purely on where the tories and Cameron stand it's pretty self-evident that this is not a week of good news.

This discussion has been closed.