Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This should help Farage be re-elected in Clacton – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 26 in General
This should help Farage be re-elected in Clacton – politicalbetting.com

Nigel Farage says his £32,000 all expenses paid trip to visit Trump in the US, courtesy of a multi-million pound Reform UK donor, was in order "to represent Clacton on the world stage" pic.twitter.com/UwPz9dmupE

Read the full story here

Comments

• gonatasgonatas Posts: 17
    Which map?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,571
    Second!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    I believe the other reason given by Farage was he was there to give succour to a friend who had survived a murder attempt. Who the hell would want Mr Toad turning up in a moment of crisis? Not Trump apparently given he seemed not to even notice that Farage was in town.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Y'all should click on the Farage shorts link in the header, you won't regret it.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    I doubt he will be standing in 2029.

Y'all should click on the Farage shorts link in the header, you won't regret it.

"Y'all" !!!!

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

I believe the other reason given by Farage was he was there to give succour to a friend who had survived a murder attempt. Who the hell would want Mr Toad turning up in a moment of crisis? Not Trump apparently given he seemed not to even notice that Farage was in town.

His friend is at another school, you wouldn't know them.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Taz said:

Too much to drink, huh?
    edited August 19
    Taz said:

"Y'all" !!!!

So I stayed at Trump's hotel, there were a lot of Americans there, mostly MAGA types.
    Taz said:

Has he done any constituency surgery or work in the last 6 weeks? Rumour is no.

Compare with Leicester's Shockhat Adam who has got stuck into it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,752
    FPT
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder about this, too.

After yesterday's reporting, I have so many questions to which still no relevant politician or spokesperson from a relevant ministry has provided an answer.

1) If Germany seriously wants to finance its aid only via the G-7 loan, what is stopping other countries from doing the same? Imagine just the US doing this... It wouldn't work.

2) Therefore → Why do the Ministry of Finance and the Chancellery think that Germany has a special right compared to other G7 members?

3) Wouldn't Ukraine actually finance the German bilateral assistance to Ukraine, since the loan is being paid out to Ukraine and only after that they spend the money?

4) Why should we end up with no expenditure from the annual budget, while other countries have to pay billions upon billions of euros out of their own pockets to Ukraine?

5) If Germany is not even willing to pay a few billion euros out of its own pocket, why should much smaller and economically weaker countries do so?

I sincerely hope (for all of us) to be able to answer most if not all the questions tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

https://x.com/deaidua/status/1825148421268746468

It's only whoever this is who is saying Germany will "finance its aid only via the G-7 loan", everybody else is talking about an apparent plan to cut German military aid from 8 billion to 4 billion, so I'm not sure I'd bother waiting for this person's 'updates'.
    That's not the point being made.
    The German government is claiming it will finance its aid out of the seized Russian financial assets.
    As the guy I quoted pointed out, those aren't Germany's assets to allocate. You and he aren't at issue in this.

Taz said:

"Y'all" !!!!

So I stayed at Trump's hotel, there were a lot of Americans there, mostly MAGA types.
    I hope no one grabbed you inappropriately ?
    The Belgian visit in April was paid for by The convicted felon and money launderer George Cottrell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cottrell

Know them by the company they keep.
    edited August 19
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

"Y'all" !!!!

Nearly, but only after I said Make America Great Britain Again.

I may have said the term 'bloody ungrateful treasonous colonials' under my breath a few times.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,505
    Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

After yesterday's reporting, I have so many questions to which still no relevant politician or spokesperson from a relevant ministry has provided an answer.

1) If Germany seriously wants to finance its aid only via the G-7 loan, what is stopping other countries from doing the same? Imagine just the US doing this... It wouldn't work.

2) Therefore → Why do the Ministry of Finance and the Chancellery think that Germany has a special right compared to other G7 members?

3) Wouldn't Ukraine actually finance the German bilateral assistance to Ukraine, since the loan is being paid out to Ukraine and only after that they spend the money?

4) Why should we end up with no expenditure from the annual budget, while other countries have to pay billions upon billions of euros out of their own pockets to Ukraine?

5) If Germany is not even willing to pay a few billion euros out of its own pocket, why should much smaller and economically weaker countries do so?

I sincerely hope (for all of us) to be able to answer most if not all the questions tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

It's only whoever this is who is saying Germany will "finance its aid only via the G-7 loan", everybody else is talking about an apparent plan to cut German military aid from 8 billion to 4 billion, so I'm not sure I'd bother waiting for this person's 'updates'.
    The German government is claiming it will finance its aid out of the seized Russian financial assets.
    As the guy I quoted pointed out, those aren't Germany's assets to allocate. You and he aren't at issue in this.
    Most people assumed the allies had in actuality been briefed ahead of time before their tanks and artillery systems rolled into the Russian countryside. Germany’s actions in the days since suggest not. Nordstream arrest warrant and now going cold on military aid.

Meanwhile Zelensky publicly calling out Starmer’s lack of leadership. And then there’s the US, where we might conclude that neither candidate gives two figs about Crimea and the Donbass’s right of self determination.

Might be we’re seeing the final crescendo before the guns go silent, hell for leather land grabs by both sides before complicated negotiations in 2025.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Have the Germans learnt nothing from 1918 onwards..
    moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Most people assumed the allies had in actuality been briefed ahead of time before their tanks and artillery systems rolled into the Russian countryside. Germany’s actions in the days since suggest not...
    Given the pre briefing on their previous offensive, and the outcome, it's not exactly surprising they maintained full operational security this time.
    Had they briefed Germany, they might as well have announced it in advance. There are way too many Russia friendly people in the German establishment for it to have been kept a secret.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

No, you have misunderstood. Try reading some news reports on the subject rather than relying on Twitter.

Lindner and Scholz have apparently agreed to limit German military aid in the budget for 2025 to about 4 billion euros, around half the 2024 Ukraine military aid budget (worth saying that the Greens and others in the SPD strongly disagree). This aid will obviously come out of the German national budget, nobody is suggesting that this is will be paid for by Ukraine.

Lindner has attempted to justify this reduction by claiming that Ukraine will be able to afford more weapons from the funds it gets from seized Russian assets.

The background to this is a refusal by the FDP to set aside the "debt brake" because of the Ukraine war.

The problem is that it is being reported that the 4 billion for next year has already been allocated, leaving nothing for any "new" orders, which is maybe where your misunderstanding comes from.

Worth saying that the budget for 2025 is some way from being finalised, and since the report of this latest "agreement" the FDP and Lindner have had to backtrack somewhat on their position.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    edited August 19
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Too much to drink, huh?
    Putting Nigel in the Palace of Westminster might be a bit like putting Augustus Gloop in the Wonka factory, for sure.

But he will be 64/5 next time round, 68-70 at the end of that term... And this isn't America.

At the moment, Reform is Farage... What happens when the guy in Thurrock has to push the others round in bath chairs all day?
    Nigelb said:

The Fringe's 'funniest' joke:
    “I was going to sail around the globe in the world’s smallest ship but I bottled it”.

I prefererred his reaction to the accolade -
    The comedian said he was “really chuffed” with the win. “I needed some good news as I was just fired from my job marking exam papers. Can’t understand it, I always gave 110%.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/article/2024/aug/19/mark-simmons-ship-joke-named-funniest-of-edinburgh-fringe

I like number 9 in the list.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c8erpgy727jo
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172

STWTAIN
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

Do you mind? I'm having breakfast.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,002
    Clacton is the poorest part of Essex and Jaywick is one of the most deprived parts of the UK which makes even Harlow and Basildon look posh by comparison. So not sure if Farage's all expenses paid trips to the US will go down well there, especially as I am not even sure if he has bought a house in the constituency yet.

On the other hand like Trump being wealthy doesn't stop them holding their white working class support as long as they continue to fight immigration and globalisation
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

No, you have misunderstood. Try reading some news reports on the subject rather than relying on Twitter.

Lindner and Scholz have apparently agreed to limit German military aid in the budget for 2025 to about 4 billion euros, around half the 2024 Ukraine military aid budget (worth saying that the Greens and others in the SPD strongly disagree). This aid will obviously come out of the German national budget, nobody is suggesting that this is will be paid for by Ukraine.

Lindner has attempted to justify this reduction by claiming that Ukraine will be able to afford more weapons from the funds it gets from seized Russian assets.

The background to this is a refusal by the FDP to set aside the "debt brake" because of the Ukraine war.

The problem is that it is being reported that the 4 billion for next year has already been allocated, leaving nothing for any "new" orders, which is maybe where your misunderstanding comes from.

Worth saying that the budget for 2025 is some way from being finalised, and since the report of this latest "agreement" the FDP and Lindner have had to backtrack somewhat on their position.
    This was the report I was going on.
    (Which is also pretty consistent with what you're saying.)

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-halt-new-ukraine-military-aid-report-war-russia/
    ..The moratorium on new assistance is already in effect and will affect new requests for funding, not previously approved aid, according to the FAZ report, which cited non-public documents and emails as well as discussions with people familiar with the matter.
    In a letter sent to the German defense ministry on Aug. 5, Finance Minister Christian Lindner said that future funding would no longer come from Germany's federal budget but from proceeds from frozen Russian assets, according to the German newspaper...

In any event, as far as I understand it, the frozen assets fund can't be used directly for arms purchases.
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Most people assumed the allies had in actuality been briefed ahead of time before their tanks and artillery systems rolled into the Russian countryside. Germany’s actions in the days since suggest not...
    Given the pre briefing on their previous offensive, and the outcome, it's not exactly surprising they maintained full operational security this time.
    Had they briefed Germany, they might as well have announced it in advance. There are way too many Russia friendly people in the German establishment for it to have been kept a secret.
    You could probably say the same for a large number of the NATO allies, of course.
    Secrets aren't secrets if you share them.
    ydoethur said:

Do you mind? I'm having breakfast.
    Be grateful I didn't embed the picture into the header.

Nigelb said:

Taz said:

"Y'all" !!!!

I may have said the term 'bloody ungrateful treasonous colonials' under my breath a few times.
    I think most MAGA types would see King Charles as a globalist, liberal, eco loon they no more would want as their head of state than his ancestor King George III.

That is assuming Trump wins of course, if Harris wins some might well take refuge in Canada and a Kingdom of the King, especially as it looks like Trudeau is on his way out for the more conservative Poilievre
    HYUFD said:

Clacton is the poorest part of Essex and Jaywick is one of the most deprived parts of the UK which makes even Harlow and Basildon look posh by comparison. So not sure if Farage's all expenses paid trips to the US will go down well there, especially as I am not even sure if he has bought a house in the constituency yet.

On the other hand like Trump being wealthy doesn't stop them holding their white working class support as long as they continue to fight immigration and globalisation

And nothing says 'fighting immigration and globalisation' than a jet setting lifestyle setting up a luxury retirement in another country.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Well how predictable was this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyvpj7vm95jo

There is no room in the jails for those naughty rioters. Just as well they seem to have stopped, eh?

Meanwhile the plan to indulge in the consumption of alcohol in the western brewery has been indefinitely postponed for technical reasons.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

They could have briefed other allies. Leaving Germany out would be sensible.
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815
    DavidL said:

Well how predictable was this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyvpj7vm95jo

There is no room in the jails for those naughty rioters. Just as well they seem to have stopped, eh?

Meanwhile the plan to indulge in the consumption of alcohol in the western brewery has been indefinitely postponed for technical reasons.

They were against it before they were for it

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/25/scheme-release-prisoners-early-extended-indefinitely-england-wales
    Fox News appear to be in denial.
    I can't really see the purpose other than to keep Trump happy, and/or help build a narrative of a stolen election.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1825328686134141409
    Watters: I just got back from vacation and noticed Kamala Harris has surged ahead of Trump in the polls. I had my team look into it. Turns out these polls are dramatically oversampling Democrats and burying the samples so you can’t see it
    Nigelb said:

Fox News appear to be in denial.
    I can't really see the purpose other than to keep Trump happy, and/or help build a narrative of a stolen election.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1825328686134141409
    Watters: I just got back from vacation and noticed Kamala Harris has surged ahead of Trump in the polls. I had my team look into it. Turns out these polls are dramatically oversampling Democrats and burying the samples so you can’t see it

So you can see the purpose?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Taz said:

"Y'all" !!!!

I think most MAGA types would see King Charles as a globalist, liberal, eco loon they no more would want as their head of state than his ancestor King George III.

That is assuming Trump wins of course, if Harris wins some might well take refuge in Canada and a Kingdom of the King, especially as it looks like Trudeau is on his way out for the more conservative Poilievre
    If Trump wins, the Supreme Court have already ensured the Kingdom of the King...
    HYUFD said:

Being a really good constituency MP makes a small but meaningful boost to your majority next time (can't remember the figure NPxMP used to cite), how much of a difference does being a truly awful one make?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,571
    Some shit weather coming the UK’s way for the back end of the week, sadly, courtesy of whatever is left of Ernesto.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Most people assumed the allies had in actuality been briefed ahead of time before their tanks and artillery systems rolled into the Russian countryside. Germany’s actions in the days since suggest not. Nordstream arrest warrant and now going cold on military aid.

Meanwhile Zelensky publicly calling out Starmer’s lack of leadership. And then there’s the US, where we might conclude that neither candidate gives two figs about Crimea and the Donbass’s right of self determination.

Might be we’re seeing the final crescendo before the guns go silent, hell for leather land grabs by both sides before complicated negotiations in 2025.
    "Crimea and the Donbass’s right of self determination." ???

That's a very odd take. Also, a very pro-Russian take.
    Nigelb said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

This was the report I was going on.
    (Which is also pretty consistent with what you're saying.)

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-halt-new-ukraine-military-aid-report-war-russia/
    ..The moratorium on new assistance is already in effect and will affect new requests for funding, not previously approved aid, according to the FAZ report, which cited non-public documents and emails as well as discussions with people familiar with the matter.
    In a letter sent to the German defense ministry on Aug. 5, Finance Minister Christian Lindner said that future funding would no longer come from Germany's federal budget but from proceeds from frozen Russian assets, according to the German newspaper...

In any event, as far as I understand it, the frozen assets fund can't be used directly for arms purchases.
    Hence "proceeds from" I think. Interests payments and the like.

Yes Lindner's argument is Ukraine will have extra funds to buy weapons, they can choose to buy from Germany or anyone else. I think it's fake news to report this as saying Germany will get Ukraine to pay for German military aid.

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Too much to drink, huh?
    Putting Nigel in the Palace of Westminster might be a bit like putting Augustus Gloop in the Wonka factory, for sure.

But he will be 64/5 next time round, 68-70 at the end of that term... And this isn't America.

At the moment, Reform is Farage... What happens when the guy in Thurrock has to push the others round in bath chairs all day?
    Good morning everyone.

RefUK may recruit younger Nigels. There are perhaps some clean-skins around, male and female, as well as a diaspora of parties further out on the Right with similar slogans and presenting issues.

The voters are still there, and Reform now have a platform to groom some more.
    Labour to repeal strike laws requiring minimum thresholds for ballots
    "Laws on union strike threshold set to be scrapped - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm2nz4zlgr4o
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    HYUFD said:

The entire constituency is not a s***house, the good burghers of Frinton and Little Clacton have left the board mortally insulted.
    moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

They had it. In 1991, where the Donbass voted by near five to one to leave the Soviet Union and Crimea voted 54-46 for the same outcome.

Since then there has never been a democratic vote on the subject. So gauging the actual determination of the self is a little hard.

HYUFD said:

The entire constituency is not a s***house, the good burghers of Frinton and Little Clacton have left the board mortally insulted.
    Frinton is alright and has some good sailing but the residents there see themselves more part of greater Suffolk than Clacton and Jaywick
  • FossFoss Posts: 894
    HYUFD said:

"Laws on union strike threshold set to be scrapped - BBC News" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm2nz4zlgr4o

Starmer is going to get Callaghan'd.

HYUFD said:

Labour's paymasters are getting their pound of flesh...
    How do Labour think this will improve the country?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533

YOU WON'T MAKE US DO IT.

OK. You might. You might make us do it.

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

"Crimea and the Donbass’s right of self determination." ???

That's a very odd take. Also, a very pro-Russian take.
    Also linking the latest leak of an apparent German budget agreement to what's happening in Kursk doesn't make sense. These budget discussions, and disagreements within the coalition, have been going on for months. It's mostly a further indication of how completely broken the current coalition is, rather than a comment on the latest Ukrainian tactics. On the contrary, any sign that Ukraine might be doing better would only increase public support for supplying Ukraine at this point, I think.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    HYUFD said:

The new government’s priority list has been heavy on revert-to-type Labourism, and worryingly less about the national renewal shtick.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    A
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

They had it. In 1991, where the Donbass voted by near five to one to leave the Soviet Union and Crimea voted 54-46 for the same outcome.

Since then there has never been a democratic vote on the subject. So gauging the actual determination of the self is a little hard.
    Time to post this again - https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/02/europe/russia-ukraine-crisis-poll-intl/index.html

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    edited August 19

HYUFD said:

It won't improve it for you now, nor will it improve it for everyone eventually. But for public sector workers, of which there is a huge number in the UK atm, it will improve it considerably right now.

It'll all come tumbling down in the end but that is in the future and the future never comes so there is that.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Frinton is alright and has some good sailing but the residents there see themselves more part of greater Suffolk than Clacton and Jaywick
    When Alun Cairns first became MP for the Vale of Glamorgan he had a home just over the Western Vale border but it was still just inside Bridgend Borough. Local legend has it, and I can't categorically say it is true or otherwise, he allegedly made enquiries to have the Vale border extended into Bridgend so his house would be in the correct county ( I assume the constituency might have been mentioned too). I believe he was allegedly given short shrift.

Frinton is Greater Suffolk? You Tories operate on a reverse notion of “If the Mountain won’t go to Mohammed, then Mohammed must come to the Mountain".

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    edited August 19
    On topic - there was some excited talk here and elsewhere before the general election about Nigel Farage joining the Tories and becoming leader of the opposition. I think we can put that to bed now, along with any thoughts of a Tory alliance with Reform.
    mwadams said:

YOU WON'T MAKE US DO IT.

I can summarise. The 60 year British male answer to Daisy Dukes.

I was expecting the Black Shorts one.

We demand a mankini.
    MattW said:

mwadams said:

YOU WON'T MAKE US DO IT.

We demand a mankini.
    I could just post a piccie of me in my trisuit... ;)

HYUFD said:

The new government’s priority list has been heavy on revert-to-type Labourism, and worryingly less about the national renewal shtick.
    Um, or you could argue that it's getting a few easy to resolve things done to keep it's Labour members happy.

And the things like union reform will have been prepared ready before the election was called so it's no surprise that these items are appearing early on.

Nope, I've been rickrolled once too often with a link like that.
    eek said:

Nope, I've been rickrolled once too often with a link like that.
    Sussed it. Put the iPad in landscape so it only showed the top half.

He looks, as a result, like a golf club bore after the eighth paint, not like a refugee from a bad porn movie.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Some of the most serious defects of our higher education regime derive from the decision in 1992 to merge the former polytechnics with the university sector. Many of the old polytechnics did a very good job, concentrating on practical subjects and practical skills.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/08/18/britains-failing-universities-must-be-allowed-to-go-bust/
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

HYUFD said:

Tories doing their best to regain their Brexit vote there, I see.
    MattW said:

mwadams said:

YOU WON'T MAKE US DO IT.

We demand a mankini.
    Speak for yourself, Matt, speak for yourself.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Um, or you could argue that it's getting a few easy to resolve things done to keep it's Labour members happy.

And the things like union reform will have been prepared ready before the election was called so it's no surprise that these items are appearing early on.
    You could indeed, but it’s a curious thing to prioritise as one of your first legislative announcements.

Country first, party second and all that…
    Labour exploitation (alleged trafficking, insufficient evidence for a Court finding - certainly horrible treatment and neglect) by a scallop dredging company TN Trawlers based in Annan, Solway, in the period 2011-2013.

A good example imo of fines treated as an overhead.

Story:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd9dnk34k41o

File on Four 8pm tonight, downloadable as a podcast now.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00224hm
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

You told me I wouldn’t regret it. I do regret it! 🤮
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

And, long story short, winning elections means that you can do what you want whereas losing elections means you are relegated to howling from the sidelines.
    edited August 19

MattW said:

mwadams said:

YOU WON'T MAKE US DO IT.

We demand a mankini.
    If you post *that* I will reply with the Top Gear Three in their wetsuits.

On topic - there was some excited talk here and elsewhere before the general election about Nigel Farage joining the Tories and becoming leader of the opposition. I think we can put that to bed now, along with any thoughts of a Tory alliance with Reform.

If the current polling is to be believed he can subsume the Conservatives by votes alone.

Yesterday on here someone rekindled Bob Monkhouse's classic joke, and it works almost, but not quite, as well for Nigel.

"When I was younger I told everyone I wanted to be an MP, everyone laughed at me. No one's laughing now!"
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Good to hear Farage is representing Clacton in Trumpland. He isn't apparently representing Clacton in Clacton.
    edited August 19

HYUFD said:

As I said before Starmer used a Blairite mask to get elected but he was always more Old Labour than New Labour at heart, just not a militant far left Corbynite. He will run a Brownite government just one with a big majority and union leaders may even get beer and sandwiches at No 10 again
    MattW said:

MattW said:

mwadams said:

YOU WON'T MAKE US DO IT.

We demand a mankini.
    If you post *that* I will reply with the Top Gear Three in their wetsuits.
    I have a picture of me in a wetsuit before a race that (ahem) doesn't hide much.

'Dignity' and 'triathlon' are two words that are rarely used together... :)

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When Alun Cairns first became MP for the Vale of Glamorgan he had a home just over the Western Vale border but it was still just inside Bridgend Borough. Local legend has it, and I can't categorically say it is true or otherwise, he allegedly made enquiries to have the Vale border extended into Bridgend so his house would be in the correct county ( I assume the constituency might have been mentioned too). I believe he was allegedly given short shrift.

Frinton is Greater Suffolk? You Tories operate on a reverse notion of “If the Mountain won’t go to Mohammed, then Mohammed must come to the Mountain".

Frinton is closer to Aldeburgh than Chigwell and closer to Ipswich than Basildon
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

“I was going to sail around the globe in the world’s smallest ship but I bottled it”.

The comedian said he was “really chuffed” with the win. “I needed some good news as I was just fired from my job marking exam papers. Can’t understand it, I always gave 110%.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/article/2024/aug/19/mark-simmons-ship-joke-named-funniest-of-edinburgh-fringe

I like number 9 in the list.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c8erpgy727jo
    I don't get number 14.

14. Keir Starmer looks like an AI-generated image of a substitute teacher

It reads like the build-up for a joke whose punchline has been cut off.
    FF43 said:

Good to hear Farage is representing Clacton in Trumpland. He isn't apparently representing Clacton in Clacton.

Mind you if anywhere is Trumpland in the UK it is Clacton
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699

HYUFD said:

It makes them more likely to be re-elected by not pissing off the unions...
    MattW said:

Labour exploitation (alleged trafficking, insufficient evidence for a Court finding - certainly horrible treatment and neglect) by a scallop dredging company TN Trawlers based in Annan, Solway, in the period 2011-2013.

A good example imo of fines treated as an overhead.

Story:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd9dnk34k41o

File on Four 8pm tonight, downloadable as a podcast now.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00224hm

I presume this is an example of a job that the lazy, feckless UKers refuse to do, preferring to luxuriate in their vast handouts from the state. If they took time from being fed peeled grapes, while lying on a bed made of 50 pounds notes etc....

Some of the most serious defects of our higher education regime derive from the decision in 1992 to merge the former polytechnics with the university sector. Many of the old polytechnics did a very good job, concentrating on practical subjects and practical skills.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/08/18/britains-failing-universities-must-be-allowed-to-go-bust/

Merge technical training and degrees.

- "Unless you complete your titanium welding module, you can't get your degree in Poetry"

- "Unless you complete your Poetry module, you can't get your degree in welding"

It would be a better world all round.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Frinton is closer to Aldeburgh than Chigwell and closer to Ipswich than Basildon
    And London is closer to Calais than it is to Manchester, Leeds, or Newcastle... so presumably that means that it is part of 'Greater France'?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    edited August 19
    Nigelb said:

FPT

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

I think it's a squabble between junior parties in the German government. None of it makes much sense. The Greens and FDP agree on little. The Greens are the strongest supporters of Ukraine in Germany. FDP also support Ukraine in principle but this takes a back seat to their fetish on balancing budgets. And the whole thing feeds into Germany's continuing Russian psychodrama.

Merge technical training and degrees.

- "Unless you complete your titanium welding module, you can't get your degree in Poetry"

- "Unless you complete your Poetry module, you can't get your degree in welding"

It would be a better world all round.
    Forsooth, what bright light is this from the east, that shines on the that base metal that time doth corrode?

'Tis my new arc welder dropshipped by amazon...

edited August 19
    Lennon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And London is closer to Calais than it is to Manchester, Leeds, or Newcastle... so presumably that means that it is part of 'Greater France'?
    I suspect most Londoners in central London would feel closer to France than the North and visit France more often than the North unless they come from the North originally. Inner London voted strongly to Remain in the EU too, the North voted clearly to Leave
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Nigelb said:

Obviously Tim Vine and Jimmy Carr are not at Edinburgh this year.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Oh no, the photo. Sneaked in so I couldn't avoid it. Thanks a lot. Day ruined.
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Too much to drink, huh?
    He likes a pint, he's such a ruddy bloke.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    HYUFD said:

Lennon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect most Londoners in central London would feel closer to France than the North and visit France more often than the North unless they come from the North originally. Inner London voted strongly to Remain in the EU too, the North voted clearly to Leave
    That is a rather good observation. Hate to admit it but it is certainly true for me. I travel far more often to France than I do to the North.
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

I am surprised it is only a rumour. So many political types online seem utterly obsessed with the man I am surprised they are not tracking his every movement.
    That guy Derek again on Delon.

https://x.com/dieworkwear/status/1825106421215789449

The kicker is a flock of Trumpy sorts whining about how Guy only rips rightwingers a new one about their terrible style.

Countdown to Eschaton
    @T_MinusEschaton
    Using a great man's death to make a mockery of your political enemies under the pretext of fashion commentary is such a catty and cheap move. Forget about dressing like a gentleman: act like one.
    11:31 am · 18 Aug 2024

derek guy
    @dieworkwear
    Delon was a supporter of the far-right National Front party and against non-white immigration. I am both a non-white immigrant and pro-immigration. This thread is purely about his style.
    11:57 am · 18 Aug 2024

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Lennon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is a rather good observation. Hate to admit it but it is certainly true for me. I travel far more often to France than I do to the North.
    And where exactly does "The North" start?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    edited August 19
    cancelled
    HYUFD said:

Lennon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Although not necessarily Calais.

Old English joke:

'Why did the French take more than a hundred years after Castillon to retake Calais?

Because they weren't *that* keen to have it back.'
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Lennon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Perth for me.
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Lennon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Watford Gap, as it always has.
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

I am surprised it is only a rumour. So many political types online seem utterly obsessed with the man I am surprised they are not tracking his every movement.
    It’s August, everyone’s on holiday.

It’s going to be fun tracking all the new independent and unexpectedly-elected MPs when Parliament returns though. With a large majority there’s rarely going to be a close vote on anything, and it’s not going to be a surprise if we have another Jared O’Mara or two among the 2024 intake.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Award winning documentary Clacton

......Don't fret Grasshopper all will become clear....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQ-5OR2V-U
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

It’s August, everyone’s on holiday.

It’s going to be fun tracking all the new independent and unexpectedly-elected MPs when Parliament returns though. With a large majority there’s rarely going to be a close vote on anything, and it’s not going to be a surprise if we have another Jared O’Mara or two among the 2024 intake.
    We already know about Farage. Who else did you have in mind?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    edited August 19
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Obviously Tim Vine and Jimmy Carr are not at Edinburgh this year.
    There is less reason for new comics to play Edinburgh since, according to The Rest is Entertainment, the pathway from Edinburgh to television has been broken with the demise of comedy panel shows.

Since you mention Jimmy Carr, his latest YouTube videos confirm something else TRiE said which I'd not till then noticed, which is that new and established comedians, including Carr, have stopped putting their actual jokes on YouTube and publish their banter with the audience instead: no loss of material as it is different every night.

Eight Out of Ten Cats Does Countdown, hosted by Carr, which does offer a platform to new comics, apparently still has unshown episodes recorded in 2022, and will not be making any this year. Like most broadcasters, Channel 4 is suffering from the collapse of advertising revenue.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Lennon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Perth for me.
    Why is why many Scots feel closer to Norway than London.
This discussion has been closed.