Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Does Kemi Badenoch hate Northerners? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349

Sandpit said:

Russian oil depot in Rostov Oblast that was bombed in the early hours of this morning, appears to be still very much on fire.

https://x.com/osinttechnical/status/1825087090893230403

The Russians are trying their best to deny it to their own people, but to the natives of Western Russia it’s now really clear there’s something not quite right in the last few weeks, as the war comes to their own region.

Still nothing that looks like an army coming to defend Kursk Oblast either, only a bunch of conscripts very keen to wave white flags when confronted with Ukranian forces. Which of course the Ukranian army, unlike the Russian army, actually respects and takes the PoWs alive rather than shooting them.

Taking prisoners alive is smart warfare as it means the next enemy confronted knows they can lay down their weapons rather than fighting to the death as they've nothing left to lose.
    Yep absolutely. The prisoners will also be telling their mums and wives that they’re okay and being looked after, and the message will quickly get around Russia what’s actually going on. The next lot of unwilling conscripts to encounter Ukranian soldiers will take the same approach.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231

Sandpit said:

Russian oil depot in Rostov Oblast that was bombed in the early hours of this morning, appears to be still very much on fire.

https://x.com/osinttechnical/status/1825087090893230403

The Russians are trying their best to deny it to their own people, but to the natives of Western Russia it’s now really clear there’s something not quite right in the last few weeks, as the war comes to their own region.

Still nothing that looks like an army coming to defend Kursk Oblast either, only a bunch of conscripts very keen to wave white flags when confronted with Ukranian forces. Which of course the Ukranian army, unlike the Russian army, actually respects and takes the PoWs alive rather than shooting them.

Taking prisoners alive is smart warfare as it means the next enemy confronted knows they can lay down their weapons rather than fighting to the death as they've nothing left to lose.
    It's also smart politics because it makes nuking Ukraine that much harder.

Not that Putin has demonstrated much appreciation for the lives of Russians.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332

Charlotte Clymer 🇺🇦
    @cmclymer
    The Medal of Honor is so revered that it's the only decoration specially emblazoned on headstones in Arlington National Cemetery.

The Medal of Honor is so revered that when an Active Duty recipient wears it in uniform, it is customary, though not technically required, for all officers, no matter their seniority, to initiate a salute.

The Medal of Honor is so revered that all living recipients are entitled to an invitation to every presidential inauguration and inaugural ball.

https://x.com/cmclymer/status/1824656141411856677

Must say that the Americans do this sort of thing well.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    edited August 18

darkage said:

As a matter of interest it is worth reading the sentencing remarks of the judge in the 'just stop oil' case as it is often cited in comparison with the current round of sentencing.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/R-v-Hallam-and-others.pdf

The participants got 4 years in jail rising to 5 for the leader. There was however intent to cause significant disruption, no guilty pleas, no mitigation, and concern about how they had conducted themselves in the trial. Also, those involved had previous convictions, in all but one case, they had multiple convictions connected to direct action protest.

This appears to indicate to a determination to use imprisonment as a way to manage protest, consistent with the 'far right' protests, but it is notable in the Just Stop Oil cases, the fate of imprisonment seems to have been reserved for repeat offenders.

But you aren't really comparing like with like.

Two major aggravating factors with the racist riots is the violence and racism therein.
    This is a fair point, I also think that the rush to prosecute the counter protesters and hand out similar sentences to them overlooks the argument that they felt provoked and were acting in self defence, to me that should be a significant mitigating factor.

The police are publishing footage of the violent disorder that has led to prosecutions. For those interested the footage of 'mark bowen', who was jailed for 2 years and 1 month, on the Avon and Somerset police website, is worth looking up.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited August 18

Shes been invited to my constituency and not responded, shame as I was all in her for her to win. She is pure Corbyn for the membership, hopefully she isn't like that for the rest of the population though.
    If she's in the final two she will win hands down.

If she were to win the leadership, pretty sure Badenoch would be relatively happy with 2019 Corbyn GE numbers, let alone those of 2017 Corbyn.
    Yes, let us not forget hard left Corbyn was a mere 28 further seat gains from the Tories in 2017 from winning most seats and likely becoming PM.

Thatcher in 1975 was considered unelectable and hard right but still won in 1979. Just because you are not centrist, if you lead the main opposition party to an unpopular government it does not mean you cannot win most seats or even a majority in a general election under FPTP

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

As a matter of interest it is worth reading the sentencing remarks of the judge in the 'just stop oil' case as it is often cited in comparison with the current round of sentencing.

The participants got 4 years in jail rising to 5 for the leader. There was however intent to cause significant disruption, no guilty pleas, no mitigation, and concern about how they had conducted themselves in the trial. Also, those involved had previous convictions, in all but one case, they had multiple convictions connected to direct action protest.

This appears to indicate to a determination to use imprisonment as a way to manage protest, consistent with the 'far right' protests, but it is notable in the Just Stop Oil cases, the fate of imprisonment seems to have been reserved for repeat offenders.

Two major aggravating factors with the racist riots is the violence and racism therein.
    Almost all the JSO offenders given jail sentences had already been previously let off with suspended sentences but broken them. The rioters however were nearly all sent to jail straight away without passing go even after pleading guilty and if they showed some remorse given the damage they caused. Fair enough on both counts one would think
    All the reporting of jailed protestors so far seem to have a series of past offences too.

It seems to be the usual criminal suspects who've engaged in criminality and found out that this time the Plod and courts were interested.

Oh well, how sad, nevermind.
    This woman was jailed and had never had a previous conviction for example

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz6x105wgz5o
    That woman advocated murder.

Murder doesn't require prior convictions to be taken seriously.
    I suppose Jo Brand was obviously joking and not to be taken seriously - this is ouslam bird territory. Personally I think the woman was both unpleasant and foolish. I think a key thing should be whether a reported victim realistically felt threatened. If we locked everyone up who was unpleasant and foolish I must admit I would be fairly lonely.
    What Jo Brand said would have been fine in a comedy club, to a live audience expecting edgy jokes, but very unwise in any other situation. The BBC really should have cut the joke from a pre-recorded programme before broadcast.
    Remember how the BBC ruined Carol Thatcher's career after a comment she made in the Green Room, that was not broadcast.

What Brand said was far worse, and was broadcast. It's fairly clear that there's one rule for left-wingers at the BBC, and another for right-wingers.
    Indeed. We all know why the BBC didn’t cut the joke, and it’s because everyone involved in the production at best failed to recognise it as incitement to violence, or at worst were quite happy for people to be encouraged to physically attack Farage.

There’s a big difference between a small audience of people paying to be entertained, expecting something edgy and uncomfortable, and a broadcast audience of potentially millions. As many people in the UK might have discovered in the last few weeks, that saying something to a few friends in the pub is very different from posting it to the internet.
    Nigelb said:

Who was the last person on a presidential ticket that this was true of ?

Tim Walz’s net worth is less than the average American’s, per FORTUNE.

Together with his wife, Gwen, his net worth is $330,000, per WSJ..

https://x.com/unusual_whales/status/1824838849773654397

(That can't include the value of their pensions, of course.)

Probably Truman, though Biden was not that wealthy in 2008, 2012 or 2020 either
    edited August 18

HYUFD said:

Nearly three quarters of graduates earn less than £29,120 — the average salary of those aged 22 to 29 — more than 15 months after leaving university, according to official figures from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (Hesa).

Five years later, they have still not caught up. A separate study of graduate tax data in the same year, by the Department for Education, reveals that they earned £3,300 a year less than the median salary for their age group by this later stage.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/education/article/graduate-salary-2024-ranked-university-course-37qdft799

I listen to LBC far too much, and there's an awful lot of talk that "students can't afford the debt from student fees, I know let's return funding to the public sector and limit places to the elite 7%".

Keep the riff-raff out of higher education for their own good, could be a policy on the next Tory manifesto
    The 'riff-raff' who would be kept out of universities if they returned to a 20-25% level would be the less academic half of middle class teens.

Only a generation ago it was perfectly normal for middle class kids to enter the workforce at 18, or even 16.
    150 years ago they could sweep chimneys at six, so your point is?
    Plenty of 18 year old skilled working class kids are plumbers or electricians earning £30k plus by 21 when arts graduates leave universities seeking their first wage, probably no higher and often lower.

University gives a big wage premium still to STEM graduates, law and medicine and economics graduates, not many others though
    I have no issue with those who choose a trade career to choose a career trade. They wouldn't survive off me however as I only contract tradesmen as a last resort. But that is beside the point though.

If anyone wants to experience three years at University and incur a liability that is their business. Your branch of the nanny state Conservative Party would like to remove that option from them.
    The more I think about it, the more I like the following solution.

Degrees for everyone & everything

If you have a trade that needs years of study and a fair bit of theoretical work - degree.

A plumber who can install a house worth of plumbing and get it right has something like a degrees worth of knowledge in his head.

By merging the “technical” and “academic” we can get rid of the last of the stupid snobberies.

Further, we can encourage mixing and merging - get the plumber to read some Proust as a module and get the History undergrads at Oxford to learn some welding.

Many of the jobs we have spaces for require a mix of book and practical skills.
    Phds in plumbing toilets effectively maybe combined with the history of the toilet from ancient Rome to today?
    Why are people discussing the Congressional Medal of Honor?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Almost all the JSO offenders given jail sentences had already been previously let off with suspended sentences but broken them. The rioters however were nearly all sent to jail straight away without passing go even after pleading guilty and if they showed some remorse given the damage they caused. Fair enough on both counts one would think
    All the reporting of jailed protestors so far seem to have a series of past offences too.

It seems to be the usual criminal suspects who've engaged in criminality and found out that this time the Plod and courts were interested.

I find such a defence by posters like HY (and he is not alone) abominable.

When defenders of people like this woman also claim to live their lives on strict Christian moral codes the hypocrisy stinks.
    I agree with the former but not the latter.

Christians have routinely advocated for the murder of heathens and those whom they dislike.

The idea Christianity is about being nice to others is for the fairies. Much of what Christ said is about that, to be fair, but then much of the rest of the Bible (both New and Old Testament) is not and that's the bit too many Christians throughout history, like HY, choose to concentrate on.

HY has always had more in common with Paul than Christ.
    Hardly, I support women priests for starters
    edited August 18

HYUFD said:

Nearly three quarters of graduates earn less than £29,120 — the average salary of those aged 22 to 29 — more than 15 months after leaving university, according to official figures from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (Hesa).

Five years later, they have still not caught up. A separate study of graduate tax data in the same year, by the Department for Education, reveals that they earned £3,300 a year less than the median salary for their age group by this later stage.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/education/article/graduate-salary-2024-ranked-university-course-37qdft799

Depends on the course 'It is mostly arts and social sciences graduates earning salaries below the £29,120 threshold...Across all UK universities, the highest-earning subjects 15 months after graduating were dentistry and veterinary medicine, with median graduate salaries of £42,000 and £35,000 respectively...
    Some leading law firms offer starting salaries to newly qualified lawyers, generally aged 25 or 26, of £170,000 or £180,000 a year.'

Plus over a lifetime graduates earn more 'Overall, the IFS found that getting a degree would increase average net lifetime earnings by 20 per cent for men and women.'
    This is why Labour expanded and normalised university education. The question is whether these increased earnings mooted are robust, or is it simply that there are limited numbers of well-paid jobs that in the past would have gone to A-level leavers and now go to graduates? Is degrees-4-all expanding the economy and generating more lucrative jobs?
    No as you say it just requires a degree for jobs which previously just needed A levels or GCSEs like nursing, middle management, senior police, accountants, even solicitors and of course we used to have a few PMs and Cabinet Ministers who never went to university either
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I listen to LBC far too much, and there's an awful lot of talk that "students can't afford the debt from student fees, I know let's return funding to the public sector and limit places to the elite 7%".

Keep the riff-raff out of higher education for their own good, could be a policy on the next Tory manifesto
    The 'riff-raff' who would be kept out of universities if they returned to a 20-25% level would be the less academic half of middle class teens.

Only a generation ago it was perfectly normal for middle class kids to enter the workforce at 18, or even 16.
    Plenty of 18 year old skilled working class kids are plumbers or electricians earning £30k plus by 21 when arts graduates leave universities seeking their first wage, probably no higher and often lower.

University gives a big wage premium still to STEM graduates, law and medicine and economics graduates, not many others though
    I have no issue with those who choose a trade career to choose a career trade. They wouldn't survive off me however as I only contract tradesmen as a last resort. But that is beside the point though.

If anyone wants to experience three years at University and incur a liability that is their business. Your branch of the nanny state Conservative Party would like to remove that option from them.

If you have a trade that needs years of study and a fair bit of theoretical work - degree.

A plumber who can install a house worth of plumbing and get it right has something like a degrees worth of knowledge in his head.

By merging the “technical” and “academic” we can get rid of the last of the stupid snobberies.

Further, we can encourage mixing and merging - get the plumber to read some Proust as a module and get the History undergrads at Oxford to learn some welding.

Phds in plumbing toilets effectively maybe combined with the history of the toilet from ancient Rome to today?
    Absolutely.

I used the old Egyptian idea of water as a level on a site, years ago.

There was an immensely thick slab of untried forced concrete on a massive foundation. It was going to be reused.

The slab was also very uneven- lots of different levels built up in odd areas, multiple reworks. Trying to find a level to cut it back to was a pain.

They’d cut a trench round the edges, as part of surveying it. So I poured water into the trench, marked a line all the way round…

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,227

Whenever the Field Marshal posts some old shite from the Telegraph can we have a community note from the moderators highlighting his source is the Telegraph?

When the author is Allister Heath can this community note be highlighted in bold italics please?
    Do you work in manufacturing ? Do you face P&Ls which force people out of jobs and businesses to close down ?

I suspect not.
    No of course you are right I have spent my entire career as a public sector journeyman with no instincts for balancing books. Oh wait, I've only ever worked in the private sector...

Mind you, no manufacturing experience since 1994.
    so youve missed the last 30 years. It's a different environment these days.
    The attitude that industry - in *actuality*, rather than theory - is barely tolerated, for example.

The ironic bit is that a modern factory is often a tidy (outside and in) building, with little noise for the neighbours and strictly controlled emissions. Much better neighbour than a street of food places…

Some modern industrial estates have been attractively landscaped with trees and wild flowers.

There's a couple I drive/walk through in early summer to see all the blossom.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

I find such a defence by posters like HY (and he is not alone) abominable.

When defenders of people like this woman also claim to live their lives on strict Christian moral codes the hypocrisy stinks.
    Our legal system punishes those who reoffend and have previous convictions more than those who don't for all offences, it is in the Sentencing Guidelines to judges and Magistrates. The Bible as far as I am aware does not mention reoffending rates or breaching suspended sentences, though Jesus encourages repentance
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481

Shane Goldmacher
    @ShaneGoldmacher
    ·
    20h
    NEWS: The Harris campaign is booking $370 million in ads after Labor Day — with $200 million on digital.

That’s a sea change from 2020 when 80% of initial Biden buy was TV.
    rcs1000 said:

Trump said a day or two ago that basically it wasn't as good as some other medal he gave out as POTUS because the congressional one only goes to soldiers who have been badly maimed by bullets or are dead whereas his medal went to some beautiful women and that is better.

Veterans groups not happy.
    Stride proposes putting the first £5 k young people pay in NI into a lifetime ISA
    https://x.com/NextGenTories/status/1825091903873847363
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Or just the Conservative Party 2019-24?
    edited August 18

rcs1000 said:

Trump said a day or two ago that basically it wasn't as good as some other medal he gave out as POTUS because the congressional one only goes to soldiers who have been badly maimed by bullets or are dead whereas his medal went to some beautiful women and that is better.

Wasn't it the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which he gave to his biggest donor?
    edited August 18

Shane Goldmacher
    @ShaneGoldmacher
    ·
    20h
    NEWS: The Harris campaign is booking $370 million in ads after Labor Day — with $200 million on digital.

There’s a big change to digital advertising this election - which has the opportunity to annoy the Hell out of millions of people not even in the US, as we all realise just how much money the Presidential campaigns actually spend.

Already there’s stories of many social media “influencers” being approached by the Harris campaign, offering $10k payments for positive comment about Harris to millions of followers. This must be relatively cheap compared to TV advertising, and attracts a totally different demographic. How anyone but the elderly can sit through US broadcast TV in the run up to an election I have no idea.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    I've read that Trump will be doing future rallies from now until election day from inside a bulletproof glass box. Fair enough, I suppose, better safe than sorry, but I'm not sure on the visuals of that. It could look a bit Derek Smalls.

Whenever the Field Marshal posts some old shite from the Telegraph can we have a community note from the moderators highlighting his source is the Telegraph?

When the author is Allister Heath can this community note be highlighted in bold italics please?
    Do you work in manufacturing ? Do you face P&Ls which force people out of jobs and businesses to close down ?

I suspect not.
    No of course you are right I have spent my entire career as a public sector journeyman with no instincts for balancing books. Oh wait, I've only ever worked in the private sector...

The attitude that industry - in *actuality*, rather than theory - is barely tolerated, for example.

The ironic bit is that a modern factory is often a tidy (outside and in) building, with little noise for the neighbours and strictly controlled emissions. Much better neighbour than a street of food places…

Some modern industrial estates have been attractively landscaped with trees and wild flowers.

In Chiswick, the local business park (offices) has been designed with such attractive landscaping and facilities that people go there like going to a park.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    kinabalu said:

I've read that Trump will be doing future rallies from now until election day from inside a bulletproof glass box. Fair enough, I suppose, better safe than sorry, but I'm not sure on the visuals of that. It could look a bit Derek Smalls.

It would probably be more helpful to him if it was a soundproofed glass box. Then he could wibble on about cheerios and sharks while his advisers played speeches from 2016 to the audience.
    kinabalu said:

It could look a bit Derek Smalls.

Fnarr, fnarr
    Sandpit said:

Shane Goldmacher
    @ShaneGoldmacher
    ·
    20h

There’s a big change to digital advertising this election - which has the opportunity to annoy the Hell out of millions of people not even in the US, as we all realise just how much money the Presidential campaigns actually spend.

Already there’s stories of many social media “influencers” being approached by the Harris campaign, offering $10k payments for positive comment about Harris to millions of followers. This must be relatively cheap compared to TV advertising, and attracts a totally different demographic. How anyone but the elderly can sit through US broadcast TV in the run up to an election I have no idea.
    I was in Des Moines in late Autumn 2019, and it was insane. Every single advert was from someone pitching for the Democratic nomination.
    rcs1000 said:

I vaguely heard something about Trump insulting people who’ve actually demonstrated courage and integrity. Probably that.

Again.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

I suppose Jo Brand was obviously joking and not to be taken seriously - this is ouslam bird territory. Personally I think the woman was both unpleasant and foolish. I think a key thing should be whether a reported victim realistically felt threatened. If we locked everyone up who was unpleasant and foolish I must admit I would be fairly lonely.
    What Jo Brand said would have been fine in a comedy club, to a live audience expecting edgy jokes, but very unwise in any other situation. The BBC really should have cut the joke from a pre-recorded programme before broadcast.
    Remember how the BBC ruined Carol Thatcher's career after a comment she made in the Green Room, that was not broadcast.

What Brand said was far worse, and was broadcast. It's fairly clear that there's one rule for left-wingers at the BBC, and another for right-wingers.
    There are plenty of people in the BBC who wouldn't have seen it as an edgy joke but good old fashioned common sense: Nigel Farage was responsible for the UK leaving the EU and therefore ought to be killed. It probably didn't occur to them that this was in the least bit edgy.

rcs1000 said:

I vaguely heard something about Trump insulting people who’ve actually demonstrated courage and integrity. Probably that.

Again.
    On John McCain, eight years ago:

'He's called a hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured, OK?'

McCain's decision to vote down Trump's repeal of Obamacare was thoroughly deserved as well as smart politics.

I wonder how Trump will square those remarks if he gets a prison sentence?
    kinabalu said:

As someone who despises Trump, I agree that it’s the right thing to do.

Back to disliking the stupid and nasty stuff he does.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625

I suspect not.

I’ve been in manufacturing since 1982 with the exception of a couple of years working at a train depot. It most certainly is a different landscape now. You’re right. Working for a large US corporation at the moment and whatever you do and whatever you achieve or excel at they have to have more. Hold less stock, extend payment terms, bash smaller businesses for price reductions all on the back of slowing sales.

This last year was the worst I can recall.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

Idle curiosity department: I'm 74, and have finally stood down from my job and from the Council (there will be a by-election). I had a stroke a new months ago which has left no physical traces and only the odd lapse of memory, but is a reminder of mortality.

I'm trying to avoid rushing into new commitments, but also from sinking into apathy. I'm mostly living near Oxford so looking at some of their one-off courses that don't leed to a degree. Any recommendations in this or any other activity?

As I previously suggested - give St Anthonys College, Oxford a bell. With your background they would probably have all kinds of interesting ideas for you.
    Ah, I missed your earlier suggestion. Thanks - I'll give them a try.
    ydoethur said:
    He is obsessed with image, and the concept of beauty. Ironic for a man that paid a pornstar...
    Top A Level grades by school type

Independent 49% Grammars 41% Free Schools 37% Academies 27% 6th form colleges 24% Secondary comps 22%
    https://x.com/FraserNelson/status/1825055021941060010
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Wasn't it the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which he gave to his biggest donor?
    Yes, I think that was it.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Shane Goldmacher
    @ShaneGoldmacher
    ·
    20h

I was in Des Moines in late Autumn 2019, and it was insane. Every single advert was from someone pitching for the Democratic nomination.
    I was in North Carolina for a few weeks in the run-up to 2004, and it was nuts. All the ‘usual’ pharma ads are bad enough in the States, but this time it was all political ads, 3/4 of which were hit pieces on opponents rather than attempts to sell the candidate and their policies.

Thankfully we all now have Netflix and can opt out of TV.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited August 18

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

In the room with Thatcher and Brand that day was Chiles who grassed her up. This is a bloke who had a Jewish guy on his programme, who had attached a go-pro and walked around Paris for the day and documented all the disgusting abuse he got. Chiles "interview" went well yeah but that's only a few minutes out of the day you got that abuse, no i have 8hrs of footage, the full length video is available, it went om for hours...well yeah but you did walk around certain neighbourhoods with your skull cap on, you were asking for it...the old your skirt was too short so of course you were asking for it version of antisemitism.
    HYUFD said:

Stride proposes putting the first £5 k young people pay in NI into a lifetime ISA

A good idea but Why not put it in a low cost S&P 500 tracker in a pensions vehicle instead to give them an additional pension to any workplace one given the state pension is not likely to be there in its current form.
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

A good idea but Why not put it in a low cost S&P 500 tracker in a pensions vehicle instead to give them an additional pension to any workplace one given the state pension is not likely to be there in its current form.
    Tracking the sp500 is not very cool Britannia. Otherwise a sound idea.

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

In the room with Thatcher and Brand that day was Chiles who grassed her up. This is a bloke who had a Jewish guy on his programme, who had attached a go-pro and walked around Paris for the day and documented all the disgusting abuse he got. Chiles "interview" went well yeah but that's only a few minutes out of the day you got that abuse, no i have 8hrs of footage, the full length video is available, it went om for hours...well yeah but you did walk around certain neighbourhoods with your skull cap on, you were asking for it...the old your skirt was too short so of course you were asking for it version of antisemitism.
    Apparently he quite likes West Bromwich Albion. He doesn’t like to talk about it much.

edited August 18
    The stick £5k in an ISA for young people is a bit of a rehash of Brown's policy were every kid got a few £100 stuck in an ISA for them at birth and parents could top it up. It never really got the desired effect of mass participation in getting people to keep putting relatively small amounts away for their kids for 18 years and seeing the effects of compound interest. Most people just forgot about it and at 18 their kids got a statement saying its now worth £599 or something and they went out on the lash with it.

On the face of it it wasn't a terrible idea, nudge people with some free government cash, don't outside of the rich / well informed, it didn't garner mass buy-in.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,861
    rcs1000 asked: "Why are people discussing the Congressional Medal of Honor?"

Because: https://www.vfw.org/media-and-events/latest-releases/archives/2024/8/vfw-admonishes-former-president-for-medal-of-honor-remarks

(According to the WaPO, the VFW has 1.5 million members.)
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,162
    HYUFD said:

Stride is interesting.

The stick £5k in an ISA for young people is a bit of a rehash of Brown's policy were every kid got a few £100 stuck in an ISA for them at birth and parents could top it up. It never really got the desired effect of mass participation in getting people to keep putting relatively small amounts away for their kids for 18 years and seeing the effects of compound interest. Most people just forgot about it and at 18 their kids got a statement saying its now worth £599 or something and they went out on the lash with it.

On the face of it it wasn't a terrible idea, nudge people with some free government cash, don't outside of the rich / well informed, it didn't garner mass buy-in.

I slightly disagree, actually, I heard similiar with pension freedoms: the newly retired would simply blow it all on a porsche. Not the case and, even if so, their choice and consequence.

Young people need 20-30k in their late 20s / early 30s for a house deposit, wedding, honeymoon and to set up shop.

I'm pro any Government or policy that makes that easier for those without the bank of mum and dad.
  • mercator said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Tracking the sp500 is not very cool Britannia. Otherwise a sound idea.
    At the scale of government spending couldn't these things have some pretty big unintended consequences?
  • HYUFD said:

Silly gimmick.

Abolishing NI altogether is by far the better suggestion, as even Hunt realised.
  • The stick £5k in an ISA for young people is a bit of a rehash of Brown's policy were every kid got a few £100 stuck in an ISA for them at birth and parents could top it up. It never really got the desired effect of mass participation in getting people to keep putting relatively small amounts away for their kids for 18 years and seeing the effects of compound interest. Most people just forgot about it and at 18 their kids got a statement saying its now worth £599 or something and they went out on the lash with it.

I slightly disagree, actually, I heard similiar with pension freedoms: the newly retired would simply blow it all on a porsche. Not the case and, even if so, their choice and consequence.

Young people need 20-30k in their late 20s / early 30s for a house deposit, wedding, honeymoon and to set up shop.

I'm pro any Government or policy that makes that easier for those without the bank of mum and dad.
    So am I.

Abolishing NI so that young people who are working don't pay a higher rate of tax than those who are not working, meaning they can keep more of their salary, so can get a deposit/wedding/whatever from their own salary is better than messing around with gimmicks.
    Taz said:

I suspect not.

I’ve been in manufacturing since 1982 with the exception of a couple of years working at a train depot. It most certainly is a different landscape now. You’re right. Working for a large US corporation at the moment and whatever you do and whatever you achieve or excel at they have to have more. Hold less stock, extend payment terms, bash smaller businesses for price reductions all on the back of slowing sales.

Agreed. It's toxic.

I try and ignore it as far as possible. They can piss and whistle but the "skills" don't exist out there in the market for the magic fairies they want to see and if they want me to fuck off then, well, I'll fuck off.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:
    He is obsessed with image, and the concept of beauty. Ironic for a man that paid a pornstar...
    Yesterday:

"I say that I am much better looking. I'm a better looking person than Kamala"

Keep 'em coming Donald, you're nailing it!
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

It would probably be more helpful to him if it was a soundproofed glass box. Then he could wibble on about cheerios and sharks while his advisers played speeches from 2016 to the audience.
    To be fair to Trump, not something you'll hear me say very often, it must be deeply traumatic to go through what he's gone through - even if he almost certainly doesn't fully recognise how it's affected him.

He was 0.25 seconds, and a totally random freak head-turn, from having his brains blown-out. One of the worst and most dramatic political assassinations in American history.

Don't underestimate the mental impact of that.

It would mess me up. It would mess anyone up.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Now they can't even bleed radiators. Where are your Pisa tables now?
    Why can 't they bleed radiators?

All my tenants can do that, and get a bleeding key in the welcome package.

But thwn they are not urban yuppies who just want to own a house.that they do not kniw how to care for, and need the LL to change a lightbulb. :-*)
    Don't all tenants get bleeding keys ... how else would they unlock the bleeding front door ?
    TBF they need to unlock the bleeding front door before they get to the bleeding radiator :smile:

I suspect not.

It looks a bit like Auric Goldfingers factory.

Matched funds might be a better idea. Hey parents and grandparents, put £50 a month away for the baby under 5 and the government will match it. But cap it at £50 a month, don’t let the upper middle classes put away £1k a month.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911

I suspect not.

Consider Speyside - rivers, mountains, chemical plants (distilleries).
    edited August 18

HYUFD said:

Silly gimmick.

Abolishing NI altogether is by far the better suggestion, as even Hunt realised.
    Absolutely not, it should be a proper National Insurance and ringfenced for the state pension, contribution based JSA and some healthcare as originally intended and to encourage savings as Stride proposed. We need to move to more insurance funded health and welfare and less tax funded

The idea that people would have the sense to save into a pension fund for many years and would suddenly blow it all was for the birds.

It’s our money. Pension freedom has been excellent.
  • JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Stride is interesting.
    He certainly is and gave a highly impressive pitch earlier this week to local members. I'm backing him strongly. Jenrick was doing his rightwing spiel - give 'em wot they want - the week before (he's almost last on my list). We have Tom the Hat on Wednesday.
    Tom is good. He seems solid and reliable.

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

To be fair to Trump, not something you'll hear me say very often, it must be deeply traumatic to go through what he's gone through - even if he almost certainly doesn't fully recognise how it's affected him.

He was 0.25 seconds, and a totally random freak head-turn, from having his brains blown-out. One of the worst and most dramatic political assassinations in American history.

That was way too close to being a very, very different story. Filmed in 4k and broadcast around the world in seconds. A gust of wind or a different head movement, and the US would be in a horrible place right now.

Taz said:

I suspect not.

Agreed. It's toxic.

I try and ignore it as far as possible. They can piss and whistle but the "skills" don't exist out there in the market for the magic fairies they want to see and if they want me to fuck off then, well, I'll fuck off.
    I applied for,voluntary redundancy last year. Was rejected. I was told I was too key to the business and it’s plans. Years ago I’d have been complimented but now IDGAF about such platitudes. They’d just find it hard to replace me/divvy up my work onto my colleagues. You’re right, the skills and experience really is not out there. Certainly in numbers.

I’m planning to retire in December and will give them the bare minimum notice.
  • Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

That was way too close to being a very, very different story. Filmed in 4k and broadcast around the world in seconds. A gust of wind or a different head movement, and the US would be in a horrible place right now.
    The US has been in a horrible place for a long time.

There have been attempts on the lives of almost half of all Presidents. Many Presidents have died at the hands of gunmen.

But still American politicians oppose even rudimentary gun control.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110
    kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:
    Yesterday:

That's a bit TDS of our American Dem friends imo, attacking Trump for what is clearly a joke. God knows there's more than enough proper material to work with.

I wonder also if, as Trump looks older and more shambolic, hoist by his own petard after years of rolling the pitch for Biden is senile, Republicans will lose further support as the likelihood of handing over mid-term to President JD Vance looms.

HYUFD said:

Stride is interesting.
    He is but basically Sunak 2, I expect Rishi will vote for him as Stride was an early supporter and Sunak loyalist. If he goes out Sunak probably backs Tugendhat or Cleverly
    edited August 18

rcs1000 said:

Again.
    (Assuming the specifics have been laid out here by now. If what he said was a joke, it wa a strange one - comparing the appearance of a 68 year old mega-donor to whom he gave the US equivalent of a George Cross, to disabled and dead service personnel. That comparison would be a lead balloon in *any* country - even in the USA.)

It's Trump further poisoning his reputation amongst Veterans.

Separately he had a "how dare you" letter and press release from Veterans of Foreign Wars, an association representing ~1.2 million veterans of Foreign Wars.

https://youtu.be/iZXxK-PAHCo?t=41
  • kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:
    Yesterday:

That's a bit TDS of our American Dem friends imo, attacking Trump for what is clearly a joke. God knows there's more than enough proper material to work with.

I wonder also if, as Trump looks older and more shambolic, hoist by his own petard after years of rolling the pitch for Biden is senile, Republicans will lose further support as the likelihood of handing over mid-term to President JD Vance looms.
    Its not clearly a joke, the man is obsessed and rants, he seems like he means it.

I suspect not.

It looks a bit like Auric Goldfingers factory.
    Absolutely. Was quite disappointed on my tour of the place to not see a Rolls Royce Phantom being melted down.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

In my egregious experience of near death experiences from small arms fire and other vectors, the trauma doesn't fully manifest until months or even years later. Even for a sociopath like DJT, it will undoubtedly fuck him up to even greater degree than his current considerable level of being fucked up.

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

That is all very true.

However - he was clearly losing the plot long before the pot shot. The shark thing was months ago.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    HYUFD said:

Shes been invited to my constituency and not responded, shame as I was all in her for her to win. She is pure Corbyn for the membership, hopefully she isn't like that for the rest of the population though.

If she were to win the leadership, pretty sure Badenoch would be relatively happy with 2019 Corbyn GE numbers, let alone those of 2017 Corbyn.
    Yes, let us not forget hard left Corbyn was a mere 28 further seat gains from the Tories in 2017 from winning most seats and likely becoming PM.

Thatcher in 1975 was considered unelectable and hard right but still won in 1979. Just because you are not centrist, if you lead the main opposition party to an unpopular government it does not mean you cannot win most seats or even a majority in a general election under FPTP
    If Sunny Jim had called the election before the Winter of Discontent he MIGHT have hung on. The "Wets" would have rebelled and Pym or Hezza would have been PM in 1984. It would have been better for the long term health of the Conservative Party. They would not have spent the last 45 years chasing Thatcher and the ghost of Thatcher.
  • Sandpit said:

New attendee confirmed at the DNC in Chicago next week - it’s the abortion bus! Free abortions for anyone who wants one.

https://x.com/ppgreatrivers/status/1823819106652410201

(They’re offering vasectomies for the men too, which now apparently has a waiting list!).

It’s so disheartening to see the American left move from the Clintonian “pro-choice” (safe, legal, and rare), stance of 30 years ago, to the “pro-abortion” (as many as possible, more abortions yay!) stance now taken by many Democrats.

Its not remotely disheartening to see medication offered to those who need it.
    edited August 18

HYUFD said:

Stride is interesting.
    Approximately 800-1000k new Labour Market entrants each year, so that's £4-5bn per annum of NI money removed from Government Revenue to individual savings accounts.

As the (cough) "party of sound money", how will the Conservatives pay for that lost revenue?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783

HYUFD said:

Stride is interesting.
    Possibly the first time anyone in PB has said that, but I agree.

I don't think he's likely to be next PM, but I think he might be quite a smart choice for a party which wants to rebuild itself. So he probably won't get it - as the membership is probably closer to Luckyguy than to you.
  • HYUFD said:

If Sunny Jim had called the election before the Winter of Discontent he MIGHT have hung on. The "Wets" would have rebelled and Pym or Hezza would have been PM in 1984. It would have been better for the long term health of the Conservative Party. They would not have spent the last 45 years chasing Thatcher and the ghost of Thatcher.
    We would still be in the EU, there would have been no deregulation and privatisation, there would be no single market (the Thatcherisation of a continent), we wouldnt have had the globalisation we have witnessed over the last forty years.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110

kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:
    Yesterday:

Its not clearly a joke, the man is obsessed and rants, he seems like he means it.
    I was referring to the better looking than Kamala claim.
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Stride is interesting.
    Approximately 800-1000k new Labour Market entrants each year, so that's £4-5bn per annum of NI money removed from Government Revenue to individual savings accounts.

As the (cough) "party of sound money", how will the Conservatives pay for that lost revenue?
    The only way that lot are a party of sound money is that money talks to them.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517

So am I.

Abolishing NI so that young people who are working don't pay a higher rate of tax than those who are not working, meaning they can keep more of their salary, so can get a deposit/wedding/whatever from their own salary is better than messing around with gimmicks.
    Yep it is a gimmick and we have had loads of them for children that then get ended a few years later and then abandoned and people forget and don't claim the funds when they reach 18 and when no longer running the returns drop below competitive rates etc etc. How many times do we have to go around this loop of setting up schemes for children and then abandoning them several years later leaving dormant schemes and unclaimed funds and rubbish returns.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045

kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:
    Yesterday:

Doesn't actually look like a joke to me if you look at that whole section of his speech. Either way, the more time Trump spends on ranting about her appearance, her crazy ugly laugh and her mixed ancestry the better it is for Harris, whether you think these are examples of "comedy" or of Trump being a rambling fruitloop.
    On this site topic: "The U.S. government has embarked on a broad crackdown against election betting, relying on a mix of newly proposed rules and ongoing court cases to try to stamp out a nascent industry that critics call a potential threat to democracy."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/08/17/election-betting-ban-us-cftc/
    Sandpit said:

New attendee confirmed at the DNC in Chicago next week - it’s the abortion bus! Free abortions for anyone who wants one.

(They’re offering vasectomies for the men too, which now apparently has a waiting list!).

It’s so disheartening to see the American left move from the Clintonian “pro-choice” (safe, legal, and rare), stance of 30 years ago...

You do understand that was just Clinton saying 'I don't want to talk about the issue' ?

It didn't certainly didn't pause the decades long right wing campaign to outlaw abortion. Which still continues.

For TSE (who probably knows about this event, already: "About an hour before doors opened Saturday for Sneaker Con’s two-day stop in D.C., hundreds of attendees waited in a line snaking down the hallway of the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.

There were parents with children. Teenagers balancing shoe boxes. Tattooed 20-somethings dragging carts toppling over with shoes. Boomers and middle-schoolers, grandparents and babies in strollers."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/08/17/sneaker-con-dc/
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    edited August 18
    Stride is interesting. Obviously not interesting interesting , but interesting as a potential Tory leader. An actual conservative.
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:
    Yesterday:

Doesn't actually look like a joke to me if you look at that whole section of his speech. Either way, the more time Trump spends on ranting about her appearance, her crazy ugly laugh and her mixed ancestry the better it is for Harris, whether you think these are examples of "comedy" or of Trump being a rambling fruitloop.
    The argument over what he meant by it is not really relevant.
    What matters is that he still gets applause from his crowds for all of the bullshit.
    Which will keep him just talking to the faithful like that.
    It's a turnoff for everyone else. Which is part of why he's going to lose.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the details (and broadly, I'm in favour), Stride's proposal has two important merits.

First, it's a new idea.

Second, it's a recognition that the Conservative Party can't just be a Trade Union for pensioners.

On this site topic: "The U.S. government has embarked on a broad crackdown against election betting, relying on a mix of newly proposed rules and ongoing court cases to try to stamp out a nascent industry that critics call a potential threat to democracy."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/08/17/election-betting-ban-us-cftc/

To me that feels like they are talking to the back end of a horse.

“To me, it is enormous corruption,” said Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), who expressed fear that well-heeled political or corporate interests could someday come to think, “Hey, I will spend millions of dollars smearing some candidate to make sure the candidate I bet on wins.”

They are trying to fix a system that allows millions to be spent smearing candidate, by controlling the millions not the smearing of the candidate.
    Sandpit said:

It’s so disheartening to see the American left move from the Clintonian “pro-choice” (safe, legal, and rare), stance of 30 years ago, to the “pro-abortion” (as many as possible, more abortions yay!) stance now taken by many Democrats.

Unless they’re actually kidnapping pregnant women and forcing them to have surgical abortions at gunpoint I’m not seeing your point here.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,369
    Matthew Syed in today's Sunday Times.

"Censors enforce orthodoxy — the problem is we need heretics too
    One danger of trying to outlow 'fake news' is that mistaken views have a habit of turning out to be true"
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Sandpit said:

Couldn't agree more. An abortion is a tragedy, not a thing to celebrate. That is my view anyway. But that is not a view that I have any right to impose on anyone else, at least until the foetus is a viable life on its own.

That's very funny, in the context of all the actual threats to democracy.
    And it's not as though there aren't other, and much easier ways for the uber wealthy to put money on the outcome of ejections, for their personal benefit.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Unless they’re actually kidnapping pregnant women and forcing them to have surgical abortions at gunpoint I’m not seeing your point here.
    It looks like they are offering only medical abortions, not surgical.

I suspect that it is more to engage activists than actually provide medical services, highlighting the restrictions that Republicans want on abortion.
  • kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:
    Yesterday:

I was referring to the better looking than Kamala claim.
    Yes and I'm not seeing the preening narcissist as joking there.
  • DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Couldn't agree more. An abortion is a tragedy, not a thing to celebrate. That is my view anyway. But that is not a view that I have any right to impose on anyone else, at least until the foetus is a viable life on its own.
    Offering easy access to required medicine is not a celebration.

Compounding a tragedy by making it harder to get easy access to medicine you need, in your time of need, is just performative cruelty.
    Sharon Graham, UNITE Gen sec with a regular column in the Mirror.

It’s time to tax the rich.

I’m guessing she thinks the rich pay little tax.

https://x.com/unitesharon/status/1825135819205542331?s=61
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Hmm, the comments so far sound like Braer Rabbit's pleas not to be thrown into the briar patch. They might just convince me that Badenoch is the right choice for the Tories

She would be a better choice than Jenrick, Patel, Braverman or Farage.

She would be more popular with the rank and file than Stride, Tugendhat or Cleverly.

That does not make her 'the right choice.'

I think the one thing I would urge the Tories to understand is that in this situation they don't have a *good* choice per se.

They have the choice that may ultimately lead them back to power, by having a serious look at what went wrong and taking energetic action to correct it.

Or, they have a choice that might be described as *happy space* - it convinces them everything was fine but for Covid and Truss and sets them off on a path that may well lead to total irrelevance and extinction.

Most candidates, including Tugendhat, seem to offer the second. Cleverly and Stride are offering elements - only elements - of the first, but are clearly not being listened to.
    Without quibbling as to whether or not goddess Kemi can lead to a happy path from happy space, I agree with your bifurcation of candidates and consequently suspect final two will be one from column A one from column B. Which makes Cleverly and Stride - especially Stride - value at these prices as a trading bet if nothing else.
    edited August 18
    Taz said:

And that she isn't one of the rich?
    edited August 18
    Andy_JS said:

Matthew Syed in today's Sunday Times.

"Censors enforce orthodoxy — the problem is we need heretics too
    One danger of trying to outlow 'fake news' is that mistaken views have a habit of turning out to be true"

Syed is one of the few interesting columnists out there who you don't know for certain what side he will take on every issue and that it often involves some nuance.
  • Taz said:

Though there is a flaw in our tax system currently in that if you have 4 people

Person A - earning £17k per annum and on UC
    Person B - earning £50k per annum
    Person C - earning £100k per annum
    Person D - earning £170k per annum

Then of those 4 the one whom our tax system currently gives the highest marginal real tax rate to is Person A.
    Of those 4 the one whom our tax system currently gives the highest marginal real tax rate to is Person D.

My preferred solution to that is to cut the tax rate on A, B and C - but it is obscene that we tax the poor or middle incomes more in real terms, marginally, than we do the richest and it needs fixing.
This discussion has been closed.