Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s looking sunny for Harris in the Sun Belt – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Nunu5 said:

Let's say by some miracle Ukraine wins the war by November does it help Dems or Trump?

The Dems because it would show they were right to help. There have been few successes in US foreign policy.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,232
    In the sunbelt RCP now have Harris ahead in Arizona, Trump ahead in Nevada, North Carolina and Georgia.

Trump leads 276 to 262 EC votes overall
    https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,152
    Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

"Two-tier policing risks turning white British people into another ‘community group’
    Engaging with minorities through group ‘leaders’ has perverted policing. Let’s not make that error again
    Charles Moore"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/16/two-tier-policing-turning-white-british-community-group/

The British Right never mentioned 'two-tier policing' all the while Boris et al were in charge, yet the moment they want to excuse rioting, vandalism and attempted murder it suddenly becomes a thing. Odd.
    Never mentioned it when the irish were being persecuted either, funny.
    As the Telegraph recently acknowledged, it is historically those on the left who complain about two-tier policing.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/ireland/youth-remanded-in-custody-charged-with-stabbing-army-chaplain-I5W3CX5RPJAQ3K3X6PZGMW2WAA/

A 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named due to his age, has been remanded in custody charged with stabbing an army chaplain in Co Galway.

Police told the court the attack was “frenzied” and believe the accused holds a “radical Islamist mindset.”

Not a good time for this to have happened, either here or in Ireland with recent tensions as they are
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,565
    franklyn said:

Can someone educate me please?

Nigel Farage gets £95000 a month from GB News
    I have never watched or listened to GB News, and am not quite sure if it is a wireless programme or a podcast or a TV station. Perhaps I lead a sheltered life but I can't find anyone else who watches or listens to it. So it can't be making money, and certainly not the money which would justify £95K a month on commercial grounds.

So someone is bankrolling GBNews, and if the internet is to be believed, and I fully accept that there is lots of fiction online, that is money from the Middle East. How is a parliamentarian allowed to be paid from abroad for something that has no apparent commercial basis? Aren't their any rules?

There is a long, long history of over paying politicians for newspaper columns, books etc.

Many leading politicians run (or used to run) a one-man-band company just to optimise the tax for such things.

Seen as more tasteful than just bunging them bags of cash.

A yet more tasteful variant (supposedly) is waiting until they have retired and paying them vast sums for after diner speaking.
  • boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

I told him I'd capture Korenevo and he said 'No way.' and I said 'way.'
    https://x.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1824803676562612332

I said I was going to make the best dairy protein shake and he said “No whey” and I said “Whey”.
    I said I was going to have the best diet and he said "no weigh" and I said "weigh".
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,710

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It's my impression the Musk and Thiel picked JD Vance for Trump. But if I am wrong about that, please correct me.

They certainly recommended him.

But recall that the one thing Vance was best known for in the six months before that was his vocal opposition in the Senate to any aid for Ukraine.

Trump picked Pence to signal that he was on board with the fundamentalist Christian agenda - and lived up to that in office (irrespective of his own lack of faith).

Why would it be any different with Vance ?

And has Trump ever shown any concern at all for Ukraine's fate ?
    Trump actually shifted the Republican platform away from "the fundamentalist Christian agenda" by overturned a decades-long policy supporting a federal ban on abortion.

In policy terms Trump is probably closer to Clinton than any of his Republican predecessors.
    Yeah, I'm sure Clinton would celebrate overturning fifty years of precedent and Roe v Wade.

Don't be ridiculous.
    Clinton of "safe, legal and rare" fame?

If he could have triangulated by turning it into a question for the states, he absolutely would have done.
    The guy who appointed Stephen Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg to the Court. You persist in being ridiculous.
    "Ridiculous" just one word for it, and by far the nicest.
    I suppose we could adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" approach to Democratic politicians' previous socially-conservative positions.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,608

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

EXCLUSIVE 🚨 Tommy Robinson discussed becoming UK “non-resident” for tax purposes after hiring expert to defend him in HMRC investigation

Robinson subject of inquiry over "donations" to web of companies linked to him and other unpaid tax
    ft. @DanNeidle

https://x.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1824862731456950694
    HYUFD said:

In the sunbelt RCP now have Harris ahead in Arizona, Trump ahead in Nevada, North Carolina and Georgia.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college

That's with Trump winning PA.

The Dems aint gonna let that happen.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,373

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

I said I was going to make the best dairy protein shake and he said “No whey” and I said “Whey”.
    I said I was going to have the best diet and he said "no weigh" and I said "weigh".
    I said I could speak French in a casual manner, he said “no way” and I said “Ouais”.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,564
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"@unherd

Javier Milei criticised the social media arrests in the UK, boasting that Argentina was moving in the opposite direction."

https://x.com/unherd/status/1824559276779540742

That's right: they're locking up left wingers.
    For justifiable reasons or not? I thought Milei was just a small state free marketeer.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,716

Scott_xP said:

@Reuters

X to close operations in Brazil 'effective immediately'

https://x.com/Reuters/status/1824837388310364565

They’ll do the same in the EU if the Commission pushes the issue.
    Hurray
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,470
    edited August 17
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

I’ve just reported someone to the police for the first time in my life and I feel like an arsehole but this kid needs to have a wrap on the knuckles.

A bunch of kids on their 50ccs were driving behind me in a flock (what’s the collective noun for kids on mopeds?) and the two guys at the front sometimes only about three feet. One of those two started reading his phone as riding along then started filming himself and his mates selfie style whilst we were all going around 40 on windy roads with loads of concealed junctions and driveways. Nearly backended me a couple of times.

Eventually I stopped the car and got out and went mental at the kid for being an absolute dick and pointed out he could,d have killed himself, his mates or any pedestrians who stepped out. They were all obviously telling me to fuck off and gesturing at me which basically made me decide to involve the police. I told him I was taking his plate number and he kept trying to back up so I couldn’t get it but I did.

Phoned the constabulary once I pulled up properly. I explained I would never usually do this, kids will do stupid things, I’ve done stupid things but this prick could have ended up dead or killing someone else for social media likes.

The policeman on the phone asked if I had any footage - obvs not I was driving not filming my journey - so I pointed out they’ve probably provided the footage themselves on their social media.

But I really feel like an arsehole now, I wonder if they will try and claim some bullshit that I assaulted them or something, but I wouldn’t forgive myself if they had gone on and run over a child or something else grim.

Should I have just left it at calling them every name under the sun and teaching them new swear words ?

Should have used a Boyes 0.55

Be British.
    I should have however I was just going to Waitrose so only packed my Walther ppk so it didn’t disrupt the cut of my linen suit.
    When I went to Waitrose earlier I got a sudden yearning for seafood starters

I bought Coquilles Saint Jacques (scallops), potted brown shrimp, and gravadlax

Had no idea one could buy potted shrimp at Waitrose. Must remember that the next time we get stuff from them.
    Potted shrimp is one of life’s great simple pleasures. It’s in the list of the best things to have on toast along with Rillettes and Mrs Ball’s Chutney for those of us more partial to savoury flavours.

Edited to say, the rillettes and Mrs ball’s chutney aren’t eaten on same toast.
    Never eaten it myself.

When my family used to stay in an old NBR railway coach on the Scottish east coast, many decades ago, we used to buy a big plastic bag full of small prawns (pink when cooked) from the fishermen and take it back and boil them, then peel and eat peppered with brown bread and butter. The fishermen no longer sell at the harbour ...

I suspect these taste similar but will have to try it!
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    There have been stories like this circulating for some time, but this latest statistic is horrifying:

BBC News - Intervention as one in four school starters in nappies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp3dykw576yo

Essentially, vast numbers of five year olds are turning up to reception class having not been toilet trained, and a third of teachers' entire days are being spent dealing with the consequences, rather than educating the rest of the poor bloody children who are. The mind boggles. If they're actually expected to change all these kids' shitty nappies then I'm surprised that anyone still wants to work in infant education at all.

The Covid excuse is deployed later in the piece but frankly, aside from what must be a very modest number of genuine medical and developmental exceptions, this sounds very much like a case of child neglect on a breathtaking scale.

I fail to comprehend the mindset of parents so lacking in basic common sense and decency that they can't be bothered to teach their kids to use the loo by the time they're old enough for school. The development of the child is stunted, and they themselves must be wasting an inordinate amount of time and money on the nasty task of changing the nappies, and on buying mountains of the things years past the point at which it ought no longer to be necessary.

You get the impression that there are rather a lot of parents who treat reproduction in the same manner as buying a pet, or perhaps a fashion accessory like a new handbag - something they do without thinking about any of the consequences, because they feel like it, or perhaps because their friends have got one and they want to join in with the hobby. Society then has to deal with all the ramifications when the resultant offspring are unleashed upon it. What are all these kids going to turn out like as adults?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,982
    Those old medical museum collections have real world value from the old DNA and RNA preserved in the formalin.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-viral-paleontologist-who-unearths-pathogens-deep-histories-20240816/
    … You recently pitted the 1912 virus against antibodies induced by the current measles vaccine. What happened?

We synthesized the measles surface protein based on this ancient genome and checked whether it would be recognized by the antibodies of recently vaccinated people. And it was. It extended the shelf life of the measles vaccine to 100 years, which means it’s probably not a priority to develop new measles vaccines…
    edited August 17
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

I’ve just reported someone to the police for the first time in my life and I feel like an arsehole but this kid needs to have a wrap on the knuckles.

A bunch of kids on their 50ccs were driving behind me in a flock (what’s the collective noun for kids on mopeds?) and the two guys at the front sometimes only about three feet. One of those two started reading his phone as riding along then started filming himself and his mates selfie style whilst we were all going around 40 on windy roads with loads of concealed junctions and driveways. Nearly backended me a couple of times.

Eventually I stopped the car and got out and went mental at the kid for being an absolute dick and pointed out he could,d have killed himself, his mates or any pedestrians who stepped out. They were all obviously telling me to fuck off and gesturing at me which basically made me decide to involve the police. I told him I was taking his plate number and he kept trying to back up so I couldn’t get it but I did.

Phoned the constabulary once I pulled up properly. I explained I would never usually do this, kids will do stupid things, I’ve done stupid things but this prick could have ended up dead or killing someone else for social media likes.

The policeman on the phone asked if I had any footage - obvs not I was driving not filming my journey - so I pointed out they’ve probably provided the footage themselves on their social media.

But I really feel like an arsehole now, I wonder if they will try and claim some bullshit that I assaulted them or something, but I wouldn’t forgive myself if they had gone on and run over a child or something else grim.

Should I have just left it at calling them every name under the sun and teaching them new swear words ?

Should have used a Boyes 0.55

Be British.
    I should have however I was just going to Waitrose so only packed my Walther ppk so it didn’t disrupt the cut of my linen suit.
    When I went to Waitrose earlier I got a sudden yearning for seafood starters

I bought Coquilles Saint Jacques (scallops), potted brown shrimp, and gravadlax

Had no idea one could buy potted shrimp at Waitrose. Must remember that the next time we get stuff from them.
    Potted shrimp is one of life’s great simple pleasures. It’s in the list of the best things to have on toast along with Rillettes and Mrs Ball’s Chutney for those of us more partial to savoury flavours.

Edited to say, the rillettes and Mrs ball’s chutney aren’t eaten on same toast.
    Never eaten it myself.

When my family used to stay in an old NBR railway coach on the Scottish east coast, many decades ago, we used to buy a big plastic bag full of small prawns (pink when cooked) from the fishermen and take it back and boil them, then peel and eat peppered with bread and butter. I suspect these taste similar but will have to try it!
    It’s just the easy way of eating what you described. All of them really need to be eaten on toast made with white bread though for some reason. Might just be personal taste but it’s just a delivery system for good salty butter and the topping. Not our @TOPPING obviously. Don’t want to eat him.

Do try Mrs Ball’s chutney on toast though. Magical.

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

Peccavi….
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,470
    Nigelb said:

Those old medical museum collections have real world value from the old DNA and RNA preserved in the formalin.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-viral-paleontologist-who-unearths-pathogens-deep-histories-20240816/
    … You recently pitted the 1912 virus against antibodies induced by the current measles vaccine. What happened?

We synthesized the measles surface protein based on this ancient genome and checked whether it would be recognized by the antibodies of recently vaccinated people. And it was. It extended the shelf life of the measles vaccine to 100 years, which means it’s probably not a priority to develop new measles vaccines…

That does startle me given how formaldehyde - methanal I should probably call it - crosslinks proteins and DNA and indeed acts as a fixative.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,551

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

Peccavi….
    Go to Confession … you'll be okay

HYUFD said:

Well not picking Shapiro as VP nominee wasn't the best move to win it
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well not picking Shapiro as VP nominee wasn't the best move to win it
    Except that Veeps don't carry their states and Walz is popular across the swing states including in PA.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,152
    edited August 17
    franklyn said:

I have never watched or listened to GB News, and am not quite sure if it is a wireless programme or a podcast or a TV station. Perhaps I lead a sheltered life but I can't find anyone else who watches or listens to it. So it can't be making money, and certainly not the money which would justify £95K a month on commercial grounds.

So someone is bankrolling GBNews, and if the internet is to be believed, and I fully accept that there is lots of fiction online, that is money from the Middle East. How is a parliamentarian allowed to be paid from abroad for something that has no apparent commercial basis? Aren't their any rules?

It is Ofcom rather than the Commons authorities who might raise an eyebrow, as it has done previously about GBNews programmes fronted by serving MPs. In mitigation, Farage is not a Conservative MP.

Aiui, GBNews is owned by Paul Marshall of LibDem Orange Book fame, and some Dubai firm.

I did give GBNews a chance at the start but eventually gave up on it, owing as much to its shockingly low production standards as its bias. I could not say what it is like now.

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

Peccavi….
    geoffw said:

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

Peccavi….
    Sure, but do I have to give back any cities I accidentally captured?

You know how it is… you go out for an afternoon stroll with 50,000 friends, some artillery… a couple of beers….

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

Peccavi….
    geoffw said:

boulay said:

Nigelb said:

LOL

Peccavi….
    Sure, but do I have to give back any cities I accidentally captured?

You know how it is… you go out for an afternoon stroll with 50,000 friends, some artillery… a couple of beers….
    You wouldn't want to telegraph your achievements

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,278
    edited August 17
    pigeon said:

There have been stories like this circulating for some time, but this latest statistic is horrifying:

Essentially, vast numbers of five year olds are turning up to reception class having not been toilet trained, and a third of teachers' entire days are being spent dealing with the consequences, rather than educating the rest of the poor bloody children who are. The mind boggles. If they're actually expected to change all these kids' shitty nappies then I'm surprised that anyone still wants to work in infant education at all.

The Covid excuse is deployed later in the piece but frankly, aside from what must be a very modest number of genuine medical and developmental exceptions, this sounds very much like a case of child neglect on a breathtaking scale.

I fail to comprehend the mindset of parents so lacking in basic common sense and decency that they can't be bothered to teach their kids to use the loo by the time they're old enough for school. The development of the child is stunted, and they themselves must be wasting an inordinate amount of time and money on the nasty task of changing the nappies, and on buying mountains of the things years past the point at which it ought no longer to be necessary.

You get the impression that there are rather a lot of parents who treat reproduction in the same manner as buying a pet, or perhaps a fashion accessory like a new handbag - something they do without thinking about any of the consequences, because they feel like it, or perhaps because their friends have got one and they want to join in with the hobby. Society then has to deal with all the ramifications when the resultant offspring are unleashed upon it. What are all these kids going to turn out like as adults?

There's an epidemic of Sensory Processing Disorders due to lack of exposure to stimuli at an early age which build the neural pathways necessary to interpret the world.
    This is due to covid. This is merely an interoceptive manifestation.
    Having some contact with EYFS, I don't buy the one in four business. But there are plenty of SEN kids in their teens still in nappies.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,451
    edited August 17

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

EXCLUSIVE 🚨 Tommy Robinson discussed becoming UK “non-resident” for tax purposes after hiring expert to defend him in HMRC investigation

Robinson subject of inquiry over "donations" to web of companies linked to him and other unpaid tax
    ft. @DanNeidle

I am always fascinated how appears to be absolutely loaded despite not having a job for donkeys years and constant legal costs. I reckon he is even richer than multiple jobbie Nige.
    pigeon said:

You will find, as always, that you are repeating the past.

See the various schemes and societies for improving the behaviour of the “feckless poor” since time immemorial.

There is even a darkly funny episode where the Nazis tried to “save Aryans” from themselves. Even to those who had no problem with murder as a part of social work, the problem proved a bit tough to move… The Nazis started with “move them into special, nice communities” and ended with forced sterilisation, and shipping the men off into the army. Where many of them went through the vicious penal system and ended up in the Dirlewanger Brigade.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,837
    pigeon said:

It depresses me to see families out in town, with both toddler and parents staring intently at screens and not interacting at all.
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

It depresses me to see families out in town, with both toddler and parents staring intently at screens and not interacting at all.
    See earlier post - not as bad as kids on motorbikes staring at screens. “Donors” as you will know them better.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Nunu5 said:

Let's say by some miracle Ukraine wins the war by November does it help Dems or Trump?

The Dems because it would show they were right to help. There have been few successes in US foreign policy.
    But moderate republicans night think it's safe to vote Trump now?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,217
    HYUFD said:

https://www.irishnews.com/news/ireland/youth-remanded-in-custody-charged-with-stabbing-army-chaplain-I5W3CX5RPJAQ3K3X6PZGMW2WAA/

A 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named due to his age, has been remanded in custody charged with stabbing an army chaplain in Co Galway.

Police told the court the attack was “frenzied” and believe the accused holds a “radical Islamist mindset.”

Not a good time for this to have happened, either here or in Ireland with recent tensions as they are
    Not good but I suspect we haven't got anywhere near the end of these problems, everything that happens will lead to another explosion of public anger, probably most obviously manifesting itself in polling increases for Reform and other populist parties, now people know that protesting/rioting is not the way to go.

I was walking around my town and there is a mural on a public building essentially welcoming people on small boats. This was either funded or, at the minimum, allowed by the local Council. Nearly 40% of the local population voted for either reform or the Conservative party. Why assume that the other 60% support unlimited illegal immigration on small boats? They probably don't.

I feel like the 'liberal elite' has a kind of death wish. In their obsession with welcoming in refugees, and their insistence that any view to the contrary is 'racist' and 'hatred' and their associated desire to remove it from acceptable discourse, they seem to be hastening on the death of liberal democracy, in favour of Trump style nationalism.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,282
    WDTV - [Republican] State senator arrested for indecent exposure, disorderly conduct

GLEN DALE, W.Va (WDTV) - A West Virginia state senator was arrested for indecent exposure and disorderly conduct in Marshall County.

Michael Maroney, 56, is accused of performing sexual acts on himself in a gaming room at Gumby’s Cigarette & Beer World, according to the Glen Dale Police Department. . . .

Employees of the store told police Maroney came out of the back room to the ATM machine and was “breathing heavy and touching himself” at approximately 1 p.m., according to court documents. After watching the CCTV, they saw him performing sexual acts on himself.

An employee approached him, asked him what he was doing and told them what they saw, and he became defensive and denied it. He said he would “just leave” but asked if he could finish his game first, court documents say.

Senate President Craig Blair released a statement Wednesday and said Maroney was removed as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Health and Human Resources. . . .

From Mike "Boney" Maroney's wiki page:

On August 28, 2019, Maroney was arrested for soliciting a prostitute. He pleaded not guilty.[18] His case has been continued four times, most recently in October 2020 after the circuit court considered a request for a special prosecutor due to an alleged conflict of interest by Marshall County Prosecuting Attorney Rhonda Wade. The charges were dismissed in March 2021 [due to lack of evidence] . . . .

On August 4, 2024, Maroney was arrested in Glen Dale, West Virginia. According to court documents, he was charged with indecent exposure and disorderly conduct after he was observed masturbating inside a store and gaming parlor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Maroney
    edited August 17

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

I am always fascinated how appears to be absolutely loaded despite not having a job for donkeys years and constant legal costs. I reckon he is even richer than multiple jobbie Nige.
    Trump is the king of this kind of grift - the reason he stayed in politics is the vast hoard of suckers who want to be fleeced.

GCSE maths - if Tommy sells racism to 10,000 customers on a month subscription, charging each £2….
    Missing from the Times article is that Tommy Two Names also had a million quid house and I think a load of buy to lets at one point. How he ever got the money for those I would love to know. Maybe they all went with the legal troubles, although I had a feeling upon his divorce, his wife got those...but as the Times articles states they remain close.

Missing from the Times article is that Tommy Two Names also had a million quid house and I think a load of buy to lets at one point. How he ever got the money for those I would love to know. Maybe they all went with the legal troubles, although I had a feeling upon his divorce, his wife got those...but as the Times articles states they remain close.

The “Tactical Divorce” is a useful move to protect assets. As long as, Shawshank style “you trust your wife” it’s sometimes worth doing.

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

Trump is the king of this kind of grift - the reason he stayed in politics is the vast hoard of suckers who want to be fleeced.

GCSE maths - if Tommy sells racism to 10,000 customers on a month subscription, charging each £2….
    He has seemed to have endless money even before really leveraging social media. There was some reports he had some small businesses like a tanning salon, but never stacked up against the wealth he appeared to have acquired.
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

Not good but I suspect we haven't got anywhere near the end of these problems, everything that happens will lead to another explosion of public anger, probably most obviously manifesting itself in polling increases for Reform and other populist parties, now people know that protesting/rioting is not the way to go.

I was walking around my town and there is a mural on a public building essentially welcoming people on small boats. This was either funded or, at the minimum, allowed by the local Council. Nearly 40% of the local population voted for either reform or the Conservative party. Why assume that the other 60% support unlimited illegal immigration on small boats? They probably don't.

I feel like the 'liberal elite' has a kind of death wish. In their obsession with welcoming in refugees, and their insistence that any view to the contrary is 'racist' and 'hatred' and their associated desire to remove it from acceptable discourse, they seem to be hastening on the death of liberal democracy, in favour of Trump style nationalism.
    Even Trump style nationalism is part of democracy, just not a liberal part of it
    boulay said:

The “Tactical Divorce” is a useful move to protect assets. As long as, Shawshank style “you trust your wife” it’s sometimes worth doing.
    You might think that was the case, I couldn't possibly comment.

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

I think he refers to himself as a journalist/filmmaker

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

He has seemed to have endless money even before really leveraging social media. There was some reports he had some small businesses like a tanning salon, but never stacked up against the wealth he appeared to have acquired.
    I would imagine that Tanning Salons are like a good True British alternative to Turkish Barbers and American Sweetshops as being a big cash payment industry. Now I know our Tommy wouldn’t stoop to the old dirty tricks by foreigners to avoid good British taxes but if he ever decided he wanted or needed to then Tanning Salons would be a good option. Irony being after using the tanning salon you are edging closer to the darker skinned chaps you want out of the country.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,566

franklyn said:

It is Ofcom rather than the Commons authorities who might raise an eyebrow, as it has done previously about GBNews programmes fronted by serving MPs. In mitigation, Farage is not a Conservative MP.

Aiui, GBNews is owned by Paul Marshall of LibDem Orange Book fame, and some Dubai firm.

I did give GBNews a chance at the start but eventually gave up on it, owing as much to its shockingly low production standards as its bias. I could not say what it is like now.
    I tried to watch it for a bit of 'balance'. The part I saw was just a presenter against a an office room-divider going on an on about how unfair it was that they'd had a speeding ticket. Just for speeding! The cheek! And how it was a sign of the woke blob. And ... and and.

I turned it off and haven't watched again.
    edited August 17

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

He does have a certain resemblance to community leaders in Northern Ireland…..
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,995
    Trouble in paradise. Sounds like Sue Gray is Dominic Cummings in a dress?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-13752959/DAN-HODGES-Starmer-runs-country-sacking-one-key-figure.html
    edited August 17
    boulay said:

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

I would imagine that Tanning Salons are like a good True British alternative to Turkish Barbers and American Sweetshops as being a big cash payment industry. Now I know our Tommy wouldn’t stoop to the old dirty tricks by foreigners to avoid good British taxes but if he ever decided he wanted or needed to then Tanning Salons would be a good option. Irony being after using the tanning salon you are edging closer to the darker skinned chaps you want out of the country.
    It does raise a bit of a serious point, we all know a significant proportion of fake-Turkish Barbers, the hand car washers, the ice cream parlours, the mini-mart shops with no stock, the American Sweet Shops aren't legit, yet nothing seems to be done about them. Yet I don't get my tax returns in on time, I have the HMRC all up in my legit businesses in no time.
    GIN1138 said:
    I just get a 'Sign up to Mail+' when I click that. Don't think I've been on their website for a year or two - so no idea if it's global or random.

boulay said:

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

It does raise a bit of a serious point, we all know a significant proportion of fake-Turkish Barbers, the hand car washers, the ice cream parlours, the mini-mart shops with no stock, the American Sweet Shops aren't legit, yet nothing seems to be done about them. Yet I don't get my tax return in on time, I have the HMRC all up in my legit businesses in no time.
    I think they’ve started hitting the Sweet Shops. Saw a news article about it but to relaxed to bother finding it.
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

Even Trump style nationalism is part of democracy, just not a liberal part of it
    I am not sure Trump is a democrat. There are a lot of warning signs about this.

The problem that is troubling me is how you can build a system that allows the populist/far right to exist within it on the one side, and the 'refugees welcome' people on the other. They are both fundamentally opposed to each other, both see each other as existential threats, they can't/won't talk to each other. But somehow there has to be a way, or else it feels like we are heading in to a tyranny of one sort or the other.

boulay said:

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

It does raise a bit of a serious point, we all know a significant proportion of fake-Turkish Barbers, the hand car washers, the ice cream parlours, the mini-mart shops with no stock, the American Sweet Shops aren't legit, yet nothing seems to be done about them. Yet I don't get my tax returns in on time, I have the HMRC all up in my legit businesses in no time.
    The police don't bother about burglaries or attempted assaults. I doubt a little drug money going through a barber troubles them.

Now - if you throw down a bit of litter when they can spot-fine you ... now you're in trouble!
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

It does raise a bit of a serious point, we all know a significant proportion of fake-Turkish Barbers, the hand car washers, the ice cream parlours, the mini-mart shops with no stock, the American Sweet Shops aren't legit, yet nothing seems to be done about them. Yet I don't get my tax return in on time, I have the HMRC all up in my legit businesses in no time.
    I think they’ve started hitting the Sweet Shops. Saw a news article about it but to relaxed to bother finding it.
    Part of the story in the Times article is basically that Tommy Two Names just sets up loads of companies, never files any accounts, then shuts them down, rinse and repeat. It does seem like we need to adjust the system. We know this is being exploited in a number of different ways e.g. the dodgy Chinese sellers on Amazon do this all the time.
    ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

The police don't bother about burglaries or attempted assaults. I doubt a little drug money going through a barber troubles them.

Now - if you throw down a bit of litter when they can spot-fine you ... now you're in trouble!
    Or post some dodgy stuff on Facebook....
    edited August 17
    ohnotnow said:

boulay said:

Gabriel Pogrund
    @Gabriel_Pogrund

ft. @DanNeidle

In all seriousness, we know that investigation of fraud is being poorly investigated all round. If you are a victim, you basically just get directed to report it to some online body who notes it down and that is about it. Perhaps time for a new approach from tough on crime Starmer.
    GIN1138 said:
    Well well, who'd a thunk it?
    It does seem like the system is broken, in that those that run legit businesses have something to lose, so if you don't play by the rules, its fairly easy for the tax man to find you and extract the money owed and then some. If you have no intention of actually running a legit business, the system seems wide open to abuse and because you aren't actually thinking of keeping this thing going as a going concern, by the time the authorities get around to dealing with you, the company has been closed down.
    edited August 17
    GIN1138 said:
    That reminds me, I keep meaning to watch Big Dom's interview with Chris Williamson. I watched the teaser bit and he seemed on good form!

According to one, ‘she used to deliberately withhold information from Ministers, including sensitive security briefings. She wanted to be in the position where she controlled the flow of the information. That way, she could influence the important decisions. Another source told me: ‘She was building her own clique of civil servants. She was basically grooming people. She’s been building up her own powerbase for years. Again, such sniping is all part of the Westminster game.’

This sort of thing that Big Dom criticisms ring truth. This would be instant sacking at a major company, yet it is all seen as part of the game in senior civil service / government operations.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,153
    ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    I just get a 'Sign up to Mail+' when I click that. Don't think I've been on their website for a year or two - so no idea if it's global or random.
    Good evening

Not sure she is doing Starmer any favours who has seen his ratings fall from +19 when elected to -7 this evening, a fall of 26 points

https://x.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1824883908342685978?t=3p1zEmh_rdDz0VGEhvROTw&s=19
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

The problem that is troubling me is how you can build a system that allows the populist/far right to exist within it on the one side, and the 'refugees welcome' people on the other. They are both fundamentally opposed to each other, both see each other as existential threats, they can't/won't talk to each other. But somehow there has to be a way, or else it feels like we are heading in to a tyranny of one sort or the other.
    Well he was elected US President in 2016 when he won the EC. He has also fought 2 democratic elections since, 2020, when he lost and the current one.

It is also perfectly possible to elect populist right leaders to control immigration within the democratic process, see Meloni or manage immigration via the main parties, even Starmer isn't offering open door migration
    ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Select 'Reader View' (in Safari it's leftmost in the url box) and you bypass that crap

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Not sure she is doing Starmer any favours who has seen his ratings fall from +19 when elected to -7 this evening, a fall of 26 points

https://x.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1824883908342685978?t=3p1zEmh_rdDz0VGEhvROTw&s=19
    The hubris of Boris's nemesis
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,124
    edited August 17

Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

"Two-tier policing risks turning white British people into another ‘community group’
    Engaging with minorities through group ‘leaders’ has perverted policing. Let’s not make that error again
    Charles Moore"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/16/two-tier-policing-turning-white-british-community-group/

The British Right never mentioned 'two-tier policing' all the while Boris et al were in charge, yet the moment they want to excuse rioting, vandalism and attempted murder it suddenly becomes a thing. Odd.
    Never mentioned it when the irish were being persecuted either, funny.
    As the Telegraph recently acknowledged, it is historically those on the left who complain about two-tier policing.
    To be boring; it is just a fact that campaigners who raise ishoos tend to be a bit blind, biased and limited. There are interesting questions as to why - but by far the most significant question is: Are they right, how would sensible people deal with it in a non-partisan way, and is something going to be done about it. Partisans have jobs to do, but so do old fashioned liberals who care about equality under the law and the rights of those we don't agree with like most PBers.
    edited August 17
    Have the BBC got fewer games of the Hundred this year? It feels like hardly any of the games have been on terrestrial tv e.g. the playoff game tonight isn't on there. Loads have been shown on YouTube.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,200
    geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch
    Rishi Sunak’s approval ratings have stayed on -30%, the same as a fortnight ago.

https://x.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1824883910792421460

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch
    Rishi Sunak’s approval ratings have stayed on -30%, the same as a fortnight ago.

Who is that, never heard of them. What position do they hold?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,423

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

He lost to Liz Truss
    Goodwin says these are new numbers from Opinium, if so suggests immigration likely to be growing as an issue again for good or ill

Is immigration good for UK economy?
    Good 31%
    Bad 40%

Is it positive/negative for public services?
    Positive 40%
    Negative 49%

Is it enriching/undermining UK's cultural life?
    Enriching 30%
    Undermining 44%

Is it too high, too low, about right?
    Too high 66%
    Too low 4%
    About right 18%

Source: Opinium, tonight
    https://x.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1824896063695958274
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,710

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

I think he's the new Jamie Oliver.

• algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,124
    pigeon said:

Just to note that the BBC report contains not a single relevant fact and I, for one will not believe it without some really strong data supporting it.
    edited August 17
    Farage is claiming that the GB News money isn't per month, it was several months worth and includes VAT. Still a lot but i can see it being say £300k for him after the VAT, which is more what i expected.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,942
    algarkirk said:

pigeon said:

Just to note that the BBC report contains not a single relevant fact and I, for one will not believe it without some really strong data supporting it.
    Looks like a puff piece for the charity to be honest. And as the kids by definition haven’t started yet, how do they know it’s worse than ever?

Have the BBC got fewer games of the Hundred this year? It feels like hardly any of the games have been on terrestrial tv e.g. the playoff game tonight isn't on there. Loads have been shown on YouTube.

Possibly, although I think they were jiggered by the Olympics. Hard to all over the olympics and the Hundred at the same time.

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

Given Rishi is stepping down as Tory leader in the autumn and will then likely spend half his time in his beachfront mansion in California and join some Tech boards and he probably won't even stand again at the next GE in Richmond I doubt he cares less what the average voter thinks about him now
    edited August 17

Possibly, although I think they were jiggered by the Olympics. Hard to all over the olympics and the Hundred at the same time.
    Good point.... although they aren't allowed to show much and spent loads of time filling. Also even the BBC won't let Tuffers near any other sport, and they still had audio / trxt coverage so they have staff there.

The only reason i raise it was i thought that was the point of the Hundred, to get loads of it on free to air telly for the kids.

Good point.... although they aren't allowed to show much and spent loads of time filling. Also even the BBC won't let Tuffers near any other sport, and they still had audio coverage.
    I love the way the BBC tries to pretend it’s still got the same coverage it had 40 years ago, when it has a thin gruel to show.

Good point.... although they aren't allowed to show much and spent loads of time filling. Also even the BBC won't let Tuffers near any other sport, and they still had audio / trxt coverage so they have staff there.

The only reason i raise it was i thought that was the point of the Hundred, to get loads of it on free to air telly for the kids.
    And not a back door to getting rid of the counties, and setting up franchises for four day cricket at a higher level?

And not a back door to getting rid of the counties, and setting up franchises for four day cricket at a higher level?
    Oh you cynic....

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

Gray, not Sunak

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

Well he was elected US President in 2016 when he won the EC. He has also fought 2 democratic elections since, 2020, when he lost and the current one.

It is also perfectly possible to elect populist right leaders to control immigration within the democratic process, see Meloni or manage immigration via the main parties, even Starmer isn't offering open door migration
    You are skipping over the Jan 6th stuff, not to be dismissed lightly. But a lot of regimes slip in to tyranny whilst keeping up the performance of voting. Definitely a fear with Trump, although there are many other fears associated with the democrats succeeding.

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,556
    franklyn said:

Once you realise that vast swathes of the political right in this country is just a pay to play operation for various foreign interests and weirdo billionaires the last decade of British political history makes a lot more sense.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,131
    algarkirk said:

pigeon said:

I am similarly very sceptical. At the nursery where my <2 child goes, <blockquote class="UserQuote">
    algarkirk said:

pigeon said:

Yep, seems extremely unlikely to be true/widely representative.
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

Gray, not Sunak

But Sunak is on -30, even lower than Starmer!

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

Gray, not Sunak

Less than 3 months from now, Sunak will depart and that's when the fun begins...

Good point.... although they aren't allowed to show much and spent loads of time filling. Also even the BBC won't let Tuffers near any other sport, and they still had audio coverage.
    I love the way the BBC tries to pretend it’s still got the same coverage it had 40 years ago, when it has a thin gruel to show.
    Are you talking about the Olympics or all of the BBC's output?
    edited August 17
    Extreme misogyny to be treated as terrorism

Home Secretary orders review of counter-terrorism strategy to tackle violence against women and girls

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/17/extreme-misogyny-treated-as-terrorism-government/

They better starting building a hell of a lot of new jails at this rate, as racist grannies and sexist teenagers are all going to doing serious bird on the terrorist wings.
    GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

Gray, not Sunak

Less than 3 months from now, Sunak will depart and that's when the fun begins...
    fun? fun? in the Starmer supremacy?

Ooo.. someone's added a graph to the opinion polls for next election page at Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,790
    edited August 17

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

Gray, not Sunak

-30 is exactly average for Prime Ministers over the last 40 years, at least when I last checked the numbers a few years ago.

We are either a very unappreciative country, or one that repeatedly shows pisspoor judgement and then regrets it.
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

You are skipping over the Jan 6th stuff, not to be dismissed lightly. But a lot of regimes slip in to tyranny whilst keeping up the performance of voting. Definitely a fear with Trump, although there are many other fears associated with the democrats succeeding.

If Trump is elected in November it will be American voters who have put him there and the US constitution makes clear ' Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 1 states: “The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years…”
    GIN1138 said:

Ooo.. someone's added a graph to the opinion polls for next election page at Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

Broken, sleazy Labour on the slide! :lol:
    edited August 17
    Fishing said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:
    Good evening

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch

Gray, not Sunak

-30 is exactly average for Prime Ministers over the last 40 years, at least when I last checked the numbers a few years ago.

We are either a very unappreciative country, or one that repeatedly shows pisspoor judgement and then regrets it.
    Remember, SKS was always a relatively unpopular LOTO. He was elected by not being as bad as Rishi (and Liz and Boris) but there never was any real enthusiasm for him...
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,282

franklyn said:

Once you realise that vast swathes of the political right in this country is just a pay to play operation for various foreign interests and weirdo billionaires the last decade of British political history makes a lot more sense.
    Ditto USA re: MAGA-mania.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127

Farage is claiming that the GB News money isn't per month, it was several months worth and includes VAT. Still a lot but i can see it being say £300k for him after the VAT, which is more what i expected.

The Register of Members' Financial Interests says £97,928.40 a month which can only have come from Nigel Farage himself. Is Farage claiming that he's given the House false information already?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,837
    edited August 17
    HYUFD said:

Goodwin says these are new numbers from Opinium, if so suggests immigration likely to be growing as an issue again for good or ill

Is immigration good for UK economy?
    Good 31%
    Bad 40%

Is it positive/negative for public services?
    Positive 40%
    Negative 49%

Is it enriching/undermining UK's cultural life?
    Enriching 30%
    Undermining 44%

Is it too high, too low, about right?
    Too high 66%
    Too low 4%
    About right 18%

Source: Opinium, tonight
    https://x.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1824896063695958274

The interesting thing is the divergence. Tories are obsessed with immigration (despite having brought us the 2 highest years of immigration in our history) but the rest of us are little bothered.

GIN1138 said:

Lots of worms … turning
    edited August 17
    DM_Andy said:

The Register of Members' Financial Interests says £97,928.40 a month which can only have come from Nigel Farage himself. Is Farage claiming that he's given the House false information already?
    Well that's a good question. I don't know how they fill this in, it is a tick box where you have to say per month or per year and you aren't able to put in per quarter?

A million quid a year seems way way over the top. £250-300k is still way way over the top, but you can sort of start to think that is an amount that seems more likely.

The olympics, but actually you are spot on.
    One of the reasons for their constant promotion of womens sport is it’s so cheap. It’s a good thing to do, but they have so little top sport nowadays.
    edited August 17

The olympics, but actually you are spot on.
    One of the reasons for their constant promotion of womens sport is it’s so cheap. It’s a good thing to do, but they have so little top sport nowadays.
    They also don't appear to go out there and really get stuff that is low hanging fruit. There are sports that pay Sky to be on their channels, yet BBC decided to buy Bellator, the Scottish Premiership of MMA.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,815

franklyn said:

Given that nobody who doesn't view GBNews has any role in paying for it, I am not sure why Nigel Farage's fee is any of Franklyn's business or ours.
    Pray for Molly and Tommy 🙏

Brian Krassenstein

@krassenstein
    ·
    31m
    Watching far right media try and cope with empty seats at the Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania Trump rally is hysterical!

These people are obsessed with crowd size.

https://x.com/krassenstein/status/1824903275302273327

Brian Krassenstein

@krassenstein
    ·
    31m
    Watching far right media try and cope with empty seats at the Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania Trump rally is hysterical!

These people are obsessed with crowd size.

https://x.com/krassenstein/status/1824903275302273327

You'd think of all people, Trump would know that size isn't everything...
This discussion has been closed.