Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Paranoia or should be worried about shy Trumpers? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 26 in General
Paranoia or should be worried about shy Trumpers? – politicalbetting.com

Who do you believe most of your neighbors would vote for?Trump 45% (+9)Harris 36%I&I/TIPP, 1,326 RV, 7/31-8/2 https://t.co/KBsCZtH2M2 pic.twitter.com/UAUI0laVp3

Read the full story here

Comments

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    First
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,509
    Right date night has begun, so I fully expect Trump to nominate Eric Trump as VP and Iran to invade Israel.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,966
    I won't believe Trump is likely to lose unless the polls are 55-45, in part because of shy Trumpers.

Even then I'd be uncertain because of he's primed his supporters to reject any result more firmly than he did last time.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419

Right date night has begun, so I fully expect Trump to nominate Eric Trump as VP and Iran to invade Israel.

No, Trump will nominate Bernie Saunders as VP. Iran will attack Iran in spectacular show of WeAreMadderThanAnyone.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,306
    KJT with a massive 52cm personal best in the heptathlon shot put. 14.44m, in what’s not one of her best events.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,089
    Omnium said:

DavidL said:

God that Omnium and points race stuff is a load of shite. No idea who's winning, what the tactics are. Tedious and far too long.

Oi!

Ah, ok I see!
    Have they done the Moped Race yet?
    DavidL said:

God that Omnium and points race stuff is a load of shite. No idea who's winning, what the tactics are. Tedious and far too long.

All the cycling events are boring, all of them.

That we usually win more Golds is the only reason it is interesting.

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    NYT have Trump with candles and flags. No idea what he's saying though.
    News - Trump Says He Has Agreed To Debate On Fox On Sep 4th, NBC On Sep 10th, ABC On Sep 25th

https://x.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1821612057516823027
  • MattW said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Dave Wasserman
    @Redistrict
    ·
    2h
    New
    @CookPolitical
    : It’s back to a Toss Up. Three Electoral College rating changes:

AZ: Lean R to Toss Up
    NV Lean R to Toss Up
    GA: Lean R to Toss Up

https://x.com/Redistrict/status/1821510305396220325

It is worth remembering both Arizona and Nevada will have abortion access on the ballot. In the mid-terms, in states where that was a question it proved damaging to the Republicans.
    The abortion bills can favour either party, depending on the exact wording of the question.

Republicans are already going hard on the Dems who have supported third-trimester abortions, including a certain VP candidate.

Polling on the subject almost everywhere in the US supports a more European approach, with a 12-20 week limit.
    The number of third trimester abortions anywhere is absolutely tiny, and usually only happens when there are serious medical issues.
    The number of Democrat politicians signing laws allowing for elective third-trimester abortions, on the other hand, is significant.

Including Tim Walz.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/minnesota-governor-signs-broad-abortion-rights-bill-law-rcna68513
    Serious question that I don't know about:

Do US States have a "Constitutional" level of State Law that is a more basic law than that passed as "State Law" - analogous to the US Constitution?
    Do you mean a written state Constitution?

Yes, they all have one.

News - Trump Says He Has Agreed To Debate On Fox On Sep 4th, NBC On Sep 10th, ABC On Sep 25th

As many debates as possible is worth it for him I'd think. He's incoherent and nuts but debates did for Biden, no longer puts off his supporters, and Harris might stumble in the face of his bluster.

The risk is independents finally see him as old, weak, and crazy, but without big events he might struggle there anyway since he spends most of his time golfing not campaigning.

He could always do the Fox one (if Harris agrees), hope the hosts worshipful saliva sees him perform well compared to Harris, then pull out of the others.

Omnium said:

DavidL said:

Oi!

Ah, ok I see!
    Surely that must be a very heretical branch of the syncho-trainspot community?

Is this a debate or a debate with no one else there and the only questions will be asked by Trump, of himself?
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

DavidL said:

Oi!

Ah, ok I see!
    I mean the one where the cyclists tootle along behind a moped and then periodically rush past it?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Trump doing his rambling Trump thing.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,082

Agreed with whom? It's one thing to agree with the television companies but the Dems have to agree as well, which they will, but there is endless opportunity to bicker about the precise format.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648

How about Trump naming Netanyahu as Veep and Iran invading Vance?
  • What is going on in Kursk?

Apparently Ukraine is now operating helicopters *within* Russia, and Russia have destroyed a Ukrainian air-defence asset - which means Ukraine were expecting to need valuable AD coverage further forward.

Yesterday I was expecting this to be a larger version of Ukraine's previous incursions into Russia. Now, after a couple of days, it is looking significantly more strategic. I just cannot fathom what that strategy is.

Apparently to hold in order to use as bargaining chip in the event of negotiations. Seems a bit optimistic to believe they could hold it though.
    I find that hard to believe; defence lines take a lot of time to create. Weeks at best; months for really good defence lines.

But this thread suggests that Ukraine might be going after railway lines; both to disrupt Russian supplies, and also to bring their own stuff in. The former would only be temporary; the latter would indicate a longer stay.

https://x.com/Schizointel/status/1821558608238162231

And the official Ukrainian Railways site is making a claim about entering Russia...
    https://x.com/Schizointel/status/1821572965542289848/photo/1

It's certainly more than a Dieppe-style raid. But I've no idea what the strategy is.
    A blitzkrieg whereby the Ukrainian forces bypass the Russian defence lines to liberate Ukrainian territory via Russian territory?

Comparable to how the fall of France was facilitated by the bypassing the Maginot Line.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    kle4 said:

As many debates as possible is worth it for him I'd think. He's incoherent and nuts but debates did for Biden, no longer puts off his supporters, and Harris might stumble in the face of his bluster.

The risk is independents finally see him as old, weak, and crazy, but without big events he might struggle there anyway since he spends most of his time golfing not campaigning.

He could always do the Fox one (if Harris agrees), hope the hosts worshipful saliva sees him perform well compared to Harris, then pull out of the others.
    Re your last paragraph, that’s why he wants the Fox one first.

Kamala should just do them TBH. If she can’t hold her own in a debate against Trump she isn’t going to win the election.
    Who’s watching Trump, rather than the 200m final?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,226
    kle4 said:

It’s been pointed out on TwiX that one reason Trump has stopped campaigning is that during his last campaign rally a shooter was an inch away from blowing his brains out. A fair point
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

It’s been pointed out on TwiX that one reason Trump has stopped campaigning is that during his last campaign rally a shooter was an inch away from blowing his brains out. A fair point
    I suppose so, the security will have needed a major overhaul and lord knows the Secret Service are incompetent.

But he did spend an inordinate amount of time golfing even before that. I get he likes it, but not all events need to be giant, logically challenging rallies.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Angostura bitters in shit drinks update:

Just put some in a bottle of San Miguel I had left over from a party.

As if by magic I’m drinking some speciality spiced beer in a Belgian pub.

Next stop: those cans of Budweiser I’d been avoiding drinking.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,356
    Letsile Tebogo of Botswana wins gold in the men's 200 metres final with 19.45.
    Sandpit said:

Botswana take the Gold!
    edited August 8
    THIS makes me actually warm to Harris

Annoying pro-Palestinian hecklers - that she had previously tolerated - interrupt her again. This time she tells them to STFU, only without swearing

She’s good. She might even make a good President

https://x.com/joshuaphilll/status/1821342048923844884?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

Sandpit said:

Botswana take the Gold!
    First ever gold for Botswana!
    First African men's sprint gold.
    Tobogo!!
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

DavidL said:

Oi!

Ah, ok I see!
    I mean the one where the cyclists tootle along behind a moped and then periodically rush past it?
    I think that's known as the Deliveroo
    Ki-Rin, that's the one!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,356
    Just cashed out my very small bet on Harris because I don't think the odds will move much from now on.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,606

How about Trump naming Netanyahu as Veep and Iran invading Vance?
    What do you think Iran is? A settee?

Agreed with whom? It's one thing to agree with the television companies but the Dems have to agree as well, which they will, but there is endless opportunity to bicker about the precise format.
    Agreed with the voices in his head? Given his trademark scattergun approach to verbal communication there must be a lot of duelling thoughts going on.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    Shy Trumpers? Possibly, it would fit with the poll posted by TSE (?) the other day showing a lot more people believe Trump will be better for them financially than Harris than vice versa.
    TimS said:

Don't do it, man. You can easily find some fentanyl laced PCP instead.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,457

What is going on in Kursk?

Apparently Ukraine is now operating helicopters *within* Russia, and Russia have destroyed a Ukrainian air-defence asset - which means Ukraine were expecting to need valuable AD coverage further forward.

Yesterday I was expecting this to be a larger version of Ukraine's previous incursions into Russia. Now, after a couple of days, it is looking significantly more strategic. I just cannot fathom what that strategy is.

Apparently to hold in order to use as bargaining chip in the event of negotiations. Seems a bit optimistic to believe they could hold it though.
    I find that hard to believe; defence lines take a lot of time to create. Weeks at best; months for really good defence lines.

But this thread suggests that Ukraine might be going after railway lines; both to disrupt Russian supplies, and also to bring their own stuff in. The former would only be temporary; the latter would indicate a longer stay.

https://x.com/Schizointel/status/1821558608238162231

And the official Ukrainian Railways site is making a claim about entering Russia...
    https://x.com/Schizointel/status/1821572965542289848/photo/1

It's certainly more than a Dieppe-style raid. But I've no idea what the strategy is.
    A blitzkrieg whereby the Ukrainian forces bypass the Russian defence lines to liberate Ukrainian territory via Russian territory?

Comparable to how the fall of France was facilitated by the bypassing the Maginot Line.
    That has been suggested, and is an interesting suggestion. Albeit incredibly risky.

If so, the interesting question is if it is working: are the Ukrainians keeping up with whatever their plan was, and if not, is it within acceptable delays?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited August 8
    FPT:

kyf_100 said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Back to more mundane matters and another dimension to the housing question:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxr2rnx4rk9o

Over 60,000 households in temporary accommodation - how much of this will be resolved simply by more building? How many of these new flats and houses can and should be set aside for those in temporary accommodation? Perhaps we should force developers to allocate a proportion of every site to the provision of housing for those in temporary accommodation at discounted rents?

I'm also intrigued by this from the Evening Standard article on the same issue:

Former Chancellor Philip Hammond also warned that a housebuilding boom is unlikely to happen without an increase in foreign labour.

He told Sky News: “ You can’t build houses without builders. If the government thinks relaxing the planning rules while tightening the migration rules is going to get houses built they have another thing coming.”

If it was me, I'd declare it a national emergency and set aside huge areas that could be designated as plots for shipping container homes. Allow them on land that's not designated for permanent housing, thus getting over the 'land is too expensive' problem. They don't have foundations and are moveable, so let people put them down more or less anywhere within designated 'mobile' home areas. Build roads and water/electricity connection points.

Not ideal, but better than what we have at the minute. Model it on the Australian 'quarantine villages' they managed to build en masse in a matter of a few months - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-09/mining-camp-designers-plan-covid-19-quarantine-hub-in-wa/100119364

Like our prefabs (prefabricated housing) after the war, some of which were still in use into the 1970s.
    There are still some of those around - especially in places such as Peacehaven, usually encapsulated or updated in some form.

On a similar note, close to me there are still a couple of bungalows built around railway carriages. The owners need to watch it or a they could get listed. These would be I think 1930s or 1950s.

Here's one attached to an end terrace that was sold in 2014 - for £30k. I'm not what happened as the advertised price was double. If I'd known I'd have had it on the first day as it is on a 350sqm plot, which the new owner built a 3 bed modern detached on. It was a steal.

I can't post details as Zoopla seem to have lost their public archive.

My photo of the day.

edited August 8
    FPT
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Dave Wasserman
    @Redistrict
    ·
    2h
    New
    @CookPolitical

NV Lean R to Toss Up

It is worth remembering both Arizona and Nevada will have abortion access on the ballot. In the mid-terms, in states where that was a question it proved damaging to the Republicans.
    The abortion bills can favour either party, depending on the exact wording of the question.

Republicans are already going hard on the Dems who have supported third-trimester abortions, including a certain VP candidate.

Polling on the subject almost everywhere in the US supports a more European approach, with a 12-20 week limit.
    The number of third trimester abortions anywhere is absolutely tiny, and usually only happens when there are serious medical issues.
    The number of Democrat politicians signing laws allowing for elective third-trimester abortions, on the other hand, is significant.

Including Tim Walz.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/minnesota-governor-signs-broad-abortion-rights-bill-law-rcna68513

Do US States have a "Constitutional" level of State Law that is a more basic law than that passed as "State Law" - analogous to the US Constitution?
    All states have Constitutions of their own.

Edit - it is worth noting that in 49 of the 50 states, amendments must be ratified by referendums. The exception is Delaware, where it can be ratified by a 2/3 vote of the legislature in consecutive sessions.

Most of them also allow citizen-led amendments, although these are getting harder to put forward.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,455
    Trump now rambling on about how big his crowds are.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    Sandpit said:

KJT with a massive 52cm personal best in the heptathlon shot put. 14.44m, in what’s not one of her best events.

Yes awesome should lead after day 1 now if 200m goes to form

Thiam also beat her PB in the Shot Put
    TimS said:

Or should I try them in that Guinness my Irish (well, County Down but very much IRISH) colleague Sinead left here after a do?

No, that surely wouldn’t work.

But I’m going to try anyway. Hmm, it’s ok. But the effect on lager is transformational.

Why is this such a selling point for Republicans? I guess the idea is if horrible autocrats like or respect him they will treat America better, but that doesn't seem to track with them being, you know, horrible autocrats. They aren't known for generosity.

Kim Jong Un liked me a lot. He doesn't like this group.
    https://nitter.poast.org/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1821617057823137891#m

Trump now rambling on about how big his crowds are.

It distracts from how small his - bank balance - is.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Sandpit said:

Everyone must be watching the Racing League on ITV4 !!
    Trump sounding desperate to be popular.

Sad.
    a

Trump sounding desperate to be popular.

Sad.

Ahhh...

TimS said:

Don't do it, man. You can easily find some fentanyl laced PCP instead.
    The Buds remain safely in the fridge.

I need to wait off some sort of ethno-national event where you get to taste the local produce of a country that is by all accounts pretty rough but feels right in the context. Like that horrid sweet stuff in Iceland. I think I’ll save them for US election night.
    edited August 8
    Trump still attacking the Republican Governor of Georgia.

I get Kemp will never openly go against Trump (I believe his wife has said she will write in her husband's name rather than vote for Trump?), but it still seems such a pointless effort from Trump to continually go after him even if he won't fight back.
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Or should I try them in that Guinness my Irish (well, County Down but very much IRISH) colleague Sinead left here after a do?

But I’m going to try anyway. Hmm, it’s ok. But the effect on lager is transformational.

Have you tried sloe gin with cold English fizz?

OMG delish. Like an English kir royale
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,268
    edited August 8
    Are the shy Trumpers similar to the shy Tory theorists at GE24 who were convinced that they would push them to around 30% rather than their dismal 23.7%?
    So who was on the Pakistani javelin thrower for the Olympic record?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,741
    “The presidency was taken away from Joe Biden.”

Eh ?
    Still President.

“He had the right to run.”
    And therefore, the right not to run.
    Pakistan's Nadeem sets a new Olympic Record in Javelin, 92.97 metres.
    Nigelb said:

Eh ?
    Still President.

Trump insists people call him 'The President' (not just the odd american way of callign people by their former title) and called for the Constitution to be discarded in order to restore him to office as he 'won' the 2020 election. He's claimed presidential immunity for actions which took place before he was elected. I don't think he has a firm grip on who does or does not hold the office of the presidency at any given moment.
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Dave Wasserman
    @Redistrict
    ·
    2h
    New
    @CookPolitical

NV Lean R to Toss Up

Including Tim Walz.

edited August 8
    MattW said:

FPT:

kyf_100 said:

stodge said:

Over 60,000 households in temporary accommodation - how much of this will be resolved simply by more building? How many of these new flats and houses can and should be set aside for those in temporary accommodation? Perhaps we should force developers to allocate a proportion of every site to the provision of housing for those in temporary accommodation at discounted rents?

Former Chancellor Philip Hammond also warned that a housebuilding boom is unlikely to happen without an increase in foreign labour.

He told Sky News: “ You can’t build houses without builders. If the government thinks relaxing the planning rules while tightening the migration rules is going to get houses built they have another thing coming.”

If it was me, I'd declare it a national emergency and set aside huge areas that could be designated as plots for shipping container homes. Allow them on land that's not designated for permanent housing, thus getting over the 'land is too expensive' problem. They don't have foundations and are moveable, so let people put them down more or less anywhere within designated 'mobile' home areas. Build roads and water/electricity connection points.

Not ideal, but better than what we have at the minute. Model it on the Australian 'quarantine villages' they managed to build en masse in a matter of a few months - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-09/mining-camp-designers-plan-covid-19-quarantine-hub-in-wa/100119364

Like our prefabs (prefabricated housing) after the war, some of which were still in use into the 1970s.
    There are still some of those around - especially in places such as Peacehaven, usually encapsulated or updated in some form.

On a similar note, close to me there are still a couple of bungalows built around railway carriages. The owners need to watch it or a they could get listed. These would be I think 1930s or 1950s.

Here's one attached to an end terrace that was sold in 2014 - for £30k. I'm not what happened as the advertised price was double. If I'd known I'd have had it on the first day as it is on a 350sqm plot, which the new owner built a 3 bed modern detached on. It was a steal.

My photo of the day.

There are a fair few old railway carriage-slash-cottages around the place. ISTR there were some in the Dungeness area, and some around the south coast as well. I've photos of a few, and I think they're well known in the railway fraternity. Some are so altered it is hard to tell they were once carriages; others have been preserved by enthusiasts and become carriages once more.

Like this Midland one:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66166820

Or this NSR carriage, which became a garden shed:
    https://knottycoachtrust.org.uk/history-of-no-61/

Pakistan's Nadeem sets a new Olympic Record in Javelin, 92.97 metres.

India / Pakistan contest in the last round.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 568
    MattW said:

FPT:

kyf_100 said:

stodge said:

My photo of the day.

I remember going to Wickstead Park as a child in the 90s and looking at a neat row of three prefabs from the top of the log flume. They looked the most lovely places to live in the world to me at the time. They had lovely gardens with vegetable patches and people sitting in deck chairs enjoying the sun. The last time I went with a young nephew they were all gone and replaced by new build housing.
    KJT has a 200m PB of 22.79 set in 2016 (1100 points)

Thiam PB is 24.37 set in 2019 (945 points)

So if both matched tat 155 point swing putting KJT 105 up

Neither will match that imo
    edited August 8

MattW said:

FPT:

kyf_100 said:

stodge said:

My photo of the day.

There are a fair few old railway carriage-slash-cottages around the place. ISTR there were some in the Dungeness area, and some around the Peacehaven area as well. I've photos of a few, and I think they're well known in the railway fraternity. Some are so altered it is hard to tell they were once carriages; others have been preserved by enthusiasts and become carriages once more.

Like this Midland one:

The problem about keeping them is that they struggle with insulation standards etc, and to renovate either loses a biggish chunk inside, or changes the outside.

I have one in my lane which is a very narrow bungalow now, but I am over quota.
    Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

No. But will try. I can see that working very well indeed. What shall we call it?

So long as your friend @Babbage9 doesn’t describe my tasting notes as “shit wine opinions”.
    If Leon was a lawyer.

Linklaters partner banned from drinking at work events after Vienna trip

Magic Circle law firm issues final warning after partner accused of inappropriate behaviour

A partner at the Magic Circle law firm Linklaters has been banned from drinking alcohol at work events after he was accused of inappropriate behaviour during a business trip to Vienna.

The elite City institution is understood to have given the partner a final warning following a complaint that he had touched the bottom of a female associate during a work retreat in June.

The partner is also accused of making inappropriate comments to another female associate during the Vienna trip.

This includes remarks about coming up to her room and asking whether she would be going up to the room of another male partner, who was allegedly present during the evening drinks.

Linklaters is understood to have restricted the partner from drinking at work events and work socials after launching an investigation into the incident.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/08/08/linklaters-partner-banned-drinking-work-events-vienna-trip/

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Dave Wasserman
    @Redistrict
    ·
    2h
    New
    @CookPolitical

NV Lean R to Toss Up

Including Tim Walz.

Yes, they all have one.
    Yes. Thanks.

I was interested if there was a way of making abortion rights more protected than law that can be overturned by the state assembly and/or Governor alone.

KJT has a 200m PB of 22.79 set in 2016 (1100 points)

Thiam PB is 24.37 set in 2019 (945 points)

So if both matched tat 155 point swing putting KJT 105 up

Neither will match that imo

24.46 for Thiam is great for her.

Can KJT get inside 23 secs not done it for a while but fingers crossed
    MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT:

kyf_100 said:

stodge said:

My photo of the day.

There are a fair few old railway carriage-slash-cottages around the place. ISTR there were some in the Dungeness area, and some around the Peacehaven area as well. I've photos of a few, and I think they're well known in the railway fraternity. Some are so altered it is hard to tell they were once carriages; others have been preserved by enthusiasts and become carriages once more.

Like this Midland one:

The problem about keeping them is that they struggle with insulation standards etc, and to renovate either loses a biggish chunk inside, or changes the outside.
    Nowadays, they probably more fulfil the role of a larger, more plush beach hut/holiday homes rather then full-time accommodation. And given how much beach huts go for...

Ed Sheeran's apparently bought one for £650,000. Although if the piccie is anything to go by, it's been *heavily* altered:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11018719/Singer-Sheeran-splashes-650-000-converted-1880s-railway-carriage-views-Channel.html
    Seasons best for KJT IS 23.20 that will put her in lead after day one but ideally inside 23secs

If Leon was a lawyer.

Magic Circle law firm issues final warning after partner accused of inappropriate behaviour

A partner at the Magic Circle law firm Linklaters has been banned from drinking alcohol at work events after he was accused of inappropriate behaviour during a business trip to Vienna.

The elite City institution is understood to have given the partner a final warning following a complaint that he had touched the bottom of a female associate during a work retreat in June.

The partner is also accused of making inappropriate comments to another female associate during the Vienna trip.

This includes remarks about coming up to her room and asking whether she would be going up to the room of another male partner, who was allegedly present during the evening drinks.

Linklaters is understood to have restricted the partner from drinking at work events and work socials after launching an investigation into the incident.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/08/08/linklaters-partner-banned-drinking-work-events-vienna-trip/

You can call me any names you like, but never ever suggest I might sink so low as to be… a lawyer
    edited August 8

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

This is grim. And I fear it is the future

“Pray for S, one of the asylum seekers I worked with in Gateshead, beaten up by 2 men with iron bars last night.”

https://x.com/meggilley1/status/1821455725656240585?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The riots have stopped but a lower level violence will now replace it. Smaller acts. Local “events”

Bleak as bleh. I may actually move to lovely Pristina

Another example of this sort of thing.

"Suspended Labour councillor arrested over video ‘urging people to cut throats’
    Ricky Jones arrested after video emerged in which he appeared to call for violence against ‘Nazi fascists’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/aug/08/labour-suspends-councillor-video-far-right-protesters
    Stupid man. Old enough to know a lot better

His problem is that he is surely going to get a significant jail term, because he called for actual murder and people are getting 30 months for simply “shouting at policemen”
    I've just - for reasons - taken a quick look at the X account of Ashlea Simon, the leader of Britain First. She doesn't quite have your prose skills but the sentiments and agenda are almost identical. Don't know what you have to say about that.
    I told you, I did the latest political compass test, and I came out EXACTLY on the spot supposedly occupied by the classic Conservatives. It’s just that the actual Conservatives have moved to the left of Blair
    I'm sure you did do that test and I'm sure that was the result. I did it too and I kept at it until I came out where I wanted. They're great, those tests.

Still, there it is. A statistically significant overlap between your output and that of the far right.

Eg do you remember when you said Kamala Harris was "dumb as a rock"?
    I did the test once. You’re beginning to irritate me

Yes I did say that about Harris and I now think I misjudged her. I was relying on second hand reports from biased Americans, never a good thing. Always look with your own eyes and make a true objective assessment

The skilful way she’s handled this extraordinarily difficult transition - from Biden to her - tells me she has political cunning and brains. I think she will probably win (unless Trump drops out: not impossible). That will please me because Trump is a crazy fucker

If Trump drops out and a sane anti-woke Republican becomes the GOP candidate I will enthusiastically back that person over Harris

There. Sorted. Now stop being weird
    Yes, "dumb as a rock" was an exact MAGA phrase all over Hard Right Twitter. Not your finest hour, regurgitating that.

But ok, that's a good post there and I can't ask for more. Whether you truly, on Nov 6th, will be wanting to wake up to "Harris wins, Trump loses" is between you and your god. We're all entitled to our secret chamber and in any case what we want or don't want can be a complex layered thing.

I would like to see more enthusiasm from you as Trump implodes. You don't seem to be enjoying it very much, which I think is a shame.
    If I’m not enjoying it, that’s easily explained. I despise the Woke Democrats and I think Wokeness is a massive danger to the West (tho there are signs in the USA that it may be receding; and Harris herself is not that Woke)

However I see Trump as an even greater threat to our security and prosperity. So I am forced to choose the lesser of two serious evils (in my eyes). This is not fertile grounds for “enthusiasm”

What would enthuse me is a firmly anti-Woke but sane Republican who won’t abandon NATO and won’t crash the world economy with tariffs
    Essentially the same stupid, cowardly calculation you made when you voted for Keir Starmer.
    People make choices between what they consider the lesser of two evils all the time. If people dislike either option, don't think a third party is worth a damn but also wouldn't sit it out, what can they do but try to weigh up which is worse, which will always be a subjective thing?

That's basically what lots of americans who disliked both Biden and Trump were doing in saying they'd vote for Trump.

If Leon was a lawyer.

And if @TSE was a lawyer?

MattW said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Dave Wasserman
    @Redistrict
    ·
    2h
    New
    @CookPolitical

NV Lean R to Toss Up

Including Tim Walz.

Yes, they all have one.
    Yes. Thanks.

I was interested if there was a way of making abortion rights more protected than law that can be overturned by the state assembly and/or Governor alone.
    Yes. That's why there are so many referendums on the subject kicking around at the moment. Which tends not to help the Republicans.

Including in Nevada, Arizona and Florida, although I don't think it's likely to affect the result in the last one.
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Dave Wasserman
    @Redistrict
    ·
    2h
    New
    @CookPolitical

NV Lean R to Toss Up

Including Tim Walz.

Good question, and I think the answer is that it depends on how exactly the State in question is constituted. Most States have a similar power structure to the federal government, with executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
    edited August 8
    We remain tantalisingly close to statistical parity with France in the medal table. They have one more silver and one more gold. So it would only take two events to get us there.

Britain and France are to all intents and purposes siblings that should have merged back in the 1950s when it was on the table. The same glorious dissonance that is what makes the Anglo-Scottish relationship so harmonious and productive.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

No. But will try. I can see that working very well indeed. What shall we call it?

So long as your friend @Babbage9 doesn’t describe my tasting notes as “shit wine opinions”.
    The Royal Sloe? Imperial Sloe? Gin Fitzroy?

Honestly try it, it’s excellent. I “invented” it in a posh 5 star hotel near Dartmoor a few years ago. Tho later research tells me I’m not the first to have the idea?
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Eh ?
    Still President.

Trump insists people call him 'The President' (not just the odd american way of callign people by their former title) and called for the Constitution to be discarded in order to restore him to office as he 'won' the 2020 election. He's claimed presidential immunity for actions which took place before he was elected. I don't think he has a firm grip on who does or does not hold the office of the presidency at any given moment.
    He has a firm grip on who holds the office of the Presidency. It's exactly whoever he thinks it is, that second.

If Leon was a lawyer.

So too important to be fired? One rule for the 1%…
    TimS said:

We remain tantalisingly close to statistical touching distance with France in the medal table. They have one more silver and one more gold. So it would only take two events to get us there.

Britain and France are to all intents and purposes siblings that should have merged back in the 1950s when it was on the table. The same glorious dissonance that is what makes the Anglo-Scottish relationship so harmonious and productive.

Finishing behind the French and the Aussies and the Insurrection.. it's not good. Thank god we've held all of the Scottish teams families hostage since the start of the games.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    MattW said:

FPT:

kyf_100 said:

stodge said:

My photo of the day.

There's a whole street of them a few streets away from my parents' house (which itself is 1960s brick suburbia). Sheet cirrugstsd metal walls and roofs, except for one that has what looks like a tile roof but if presumably some lighter plastic option unless they've done a lot of structural work inside. We're all council houses and uniform before the sell off, but now a bit of a Tobermory feel with the paint jobs.

All, apparently, great to live in, warm and well insulated. There were, when I was a kid, various schemes to redevelop but they were met with great hostility by the residents.
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Honestly try it, it’s excellent. I “invented” it in a posh 5 star hotel near Dartmoor a few years ago. Tho later research tells me I’m not the first to have the idea?
    Poundbury punch. Our King has not yet had a truly universal cocktail named in his honour.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Sir Keir Royale in commemoration of his thrashing of the Tories

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

Seems to be a degree of panic among the Russian milibloggers over events in Kursk Oblast. Massive confusion about where Ukrainian forces are, and whether forces encountered are part of the main body of troops or sabotage/reconnaissance groups.

No sign yet of Russian reinforcements stabilizing the situation, though there are videos of lots of Ukrainian equipment being taken out by Lancet drones.

Still not sure whether this is just a raid, or the start of a large effort to seize Russian territory for use in bargaining during peace negotiations, or a strategy to lengthen the front line to weaken the Russian defence of occupied Ukrainian territory.

It’s all very weird. There’s a suggestion that the Russian town of Sudzha (highlighted) is about to fall to Ukrainian troops, who have already made several km of progress into Russia. The Russians appear to be totally flat-footed, with no spare troops anywhere to come to their aid.

Source: https://liveuamap.com/
    Reports I've heard point out that troops in Russia are likely to be wet-behind-the-ears conscripts, who are not sent to Ukraine.

I've no idea on the UA tactics, unless they expect it to draw Russian troops away from frontlines in quantities justifying the 2-3k UA troops who are reported to be involved.
    The UA troops involved are presumably some of the best they have, who must know that they are on a suicide mission if they can’t extract themselves.

But it does highlight that Russia can’t defend its own border, with their forces spread thinly to allow deployments further South.

If this is a successful raid by UA troops, we might well see this as a regular occurrence. I can’t imagine that the UA army can actually hold any Russian territory for more than a few days, but they’ve shown they can do it and draw what’s likely to be a massive redeployment of Russian troops from more important (to UA) places.
    The folk looking at this escapade with greatest interest will be in Beijing.

Everything east of the Urals is yours for the taking, guys...
    The most persuasive suggestion I have seen is to establish defensive lines across an area that Russia will be forced to retake, so the attrition of their forces can be continued after the current offensive culminates. Which would stop them putting so much focus elsewhere in that time.

And to demonstrate Putin's weakness.

From Anders Puck Neilson:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mg1ZUb-7s
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Dave Wasserman
    @Redistrict
    ·
    2h
    New
    @CookPolitical

NV Lean R to Toss Up

Including Tim Walz.

Good question, and I think the answer is that it depends on how exactly the State in question is constituted. Most States have a similar power structure to the federal government, with executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
    @SeaShantyIrish2 will no doubt weigh in later on.
    Omnium said:

If Leon was a lawyer.

A disgraceful question.

It should be “if @TSE were a lawyer”.

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

If Leon was a lawyer.

A disgraceful question.

I concede entirely.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

MattW said:

FPT:

kyf_100 said:

stodge said:

My photo of the day.

There are a fair few old railway carriage-slash-cottages around the place. ISTR there were some in the Dungeness area, and some around the south coast as well. I've photos of a few, and I think they're well known in the railway fraternity. Some are so altered it is hard to tell they were once carriages; others have been preserved by enthusiasts and become carriages once more.

Like this Midland one:

There's a nicely done out carriage on the sea front at Sandsend near Whitby:
    https://mulgrave-estate.co.uk/holiday-cottages/sandsend-sleeper-parcel-wagon
    23.45 for KJT in the 200m, that should see her lead overnight.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Poundbury punch. Our King has not yet had a truly universal cocktail named in his honour.
    Nice

It should be COMPULSORY for every Englishman to drink a large “Poundbury Punch” at 11am on Christmas Day morning, so as to toast His Majesty’s health

And maybe Easter Sunday. And whitsuntide

And Lammas Day…
    Sandpit said:

She's leading Thiam by 48 points.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Sandpit said:

Half a second more than she would have hoped but overall a great first day.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

There is a pattern in antisocial media bullshit.

A tag line and the apparent evidence - "@TheScreamingEagles interview - Pineapple pizza awesome, Radiohead and Python awful. https://youtu.be/GarbageLink"

It works because about 90% off people never click the link or try and find actual evidence.

Python is awful - don't use whitespace to represent significancy...
    It is no more ridiculous than using lots of brackets (of varying types).

Python has fantastic, clean syntax. It has incredible data science libraries. And these days, computers (and computing power) is cheap.

Other than occasional bits of Javascript, when I have a need to do something webby, I wouldn't use anything else. There's simply no point, because quick to write, readable code, is worth a lot more than a few processor cycles.
    oh I just have a dislike of Python but I started off when Javascript was Livescript and Perl was the in thing.

I personally prefer the latest version of Delphi (i.e. C# )..
    99% of my "coding" these days is data analysis, where Python + Pandas + Jupyter is absolutely superb, especially if you use Google's hosted Colab service. I'm playing around with massive datasets and running analyses in seconds that would historically have taken days. (And also required a team of people.)
    You use whatever has the best libraries for whatever it is you want to do. If that's Python, then great. And if it's JavaScript, for God's sake use TypeScript!
    The real problem with Python and JavaScript is the large numbers of self taught people.

Who haven’t heard of code structure, testing pyramids or even code versioning tools.

“No, Quant Boy, the Python file you emailed me isn’t going directly into production. Aside from the fact it doesn’t actually run, we need tests. And test data. And some QA. and running on all the non-prod environments first…. Also, where is the specification? ‘cause Compliance will quite interested in how we are pricing stuff.”
    While I largely agree with what you say, it is also great to have the freedom to implement stuff as you see fit without having to specify every last widget to the n-th degree. Obviously that's easier when working iteratively as a sole developer on small projects.

Also, bad code implemented by self-taught developers is by no means restricted to Python and JavaScript. The codebase at my last workplace was a tangled mess of undocumented C++ dating back decades and presided over by an old-school self-taught coder with a pathological hatred of whitespace and line breaks. That was the last straw for me.
    Indeed

Just that these days the self taught types are hacking in Python.

There was this mad guy who was going to replace Excel with a spreadsheet backed by Python as the scripting language. Whatever happened to him?
    As someone who has been in software since the 90's and for many companies....assuming you pick right I think self taught tend to be better than those that have degrees, The latter tend to be you can't teach me anything I have a degree
    "The latter tend to be you can't teach me anything I have a degree"

So they have failed at the most basic thing a degree is supposed to teach.
    I have found to a certain extent that people with degrees tend to not like being corrected in what they are doing by people who don't have degrees....certainly not all but a significant enough slice of them
    William felt the distinct unease of a well-educated man who has to confront the fact that the illiterate man watching him could probably outthink him three times over.
    The Truth - Terry Pratchett

Sandpit said:

Is that a lot?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    TimS said:

We remain tantalisingly close to statistical parity with France in the medal table. They have one more silver and one more gold. So it would only take two events to get us there.

Most people if given a choice would merge with North korea before merging with france
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Half a second more than she would have hoped but overall a great first day.
    poor 200m for KJT

Thiam back as favourite

If both match their PBs tomorrow in the last 3 events

KJT gets 1149 LJ, 743 Jav, 1112 800m So 3004 in total tomorrow
    Thiam gets 1125, 1041, 939 so 3105

So KJT lead of 48 turns into a deficit of 53

Really close but Thiam definite fav imo

DYOR
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    edited August 8
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

There is a pattern in antisocial media bullshit.

A tag line and the apparent evidence - "@TheScreamingEagles interview - Pineapple pizza awesome, Radiohead and Python awful. https://youtu.be/GarbageLink"

It works because about 90% off people never click the link or try and find actual evidence.

Python is awful - don't use whitespace to represent significancy...
    It is no more ridiculous than using lots of brackets (of varying types).

Python has fantastic, clean syntax. It has incredible data science libraries. And these days, computers (and computing power) is cheap.

Other than occasional bits of Javascript, when I have a need to do something webby, I wouldn't use anything else. There's simply no point, because quick to write, readable code, is worth a lot more than a few processor cycles.
    oh I just have a dislike of Python but I started off when Javascript was Livescript and Perl was the in thing.

I personally prefer the latest version of Delphi (i.e. C# )..
    99% of my "coding" these days is data analysis, where Python + Pandas + Jupyter is absolutely superb, especially if you use Google's hosted Colab service. I'm playing around with massive datasets and running analyses in seconds that would historically have taken days. (And also required a team of people.)
    You use whatever has the best libraries for whatever it is you want to do. If that's Python, then great. And if it's JavaScript, for God's sake use TypeScript!
    The real problem with Python and JavaScript is the large numbers of self taught people.

Who haven’t heard of code structure, testing pyramids or even code versioning tools.

“No, Quant Boy, the Python file you emailed me isn’t going directly into production. Aside from the fact it doesn’t actually run, we need tests. And test data. And some QA. and running on all the non-prod environments first…. Also, where is the specification? ‘cause Compliance will quite interested in how we are pricing stuff.”
    While I largely agree with what you say, it is also great to have the freedom to implement stuff as you see fit without having to specify every last widget to the n-th degree. Obviously that's easier when working iteratively as a sole developer on small projects.

Also, bad code implemented by self-taught developers is by no means restricted to Python and JavaScript. The codebase at my last workplace was a tangled mess of undocumented C++ dating back decades and presided over by an old-school self-taught coder with a pathological hatred of whitespace and line breaks. That was the last straw for me.
    Indeed

Just that these days the self taught types are hacking in Python.

There was this mad guy who was going to replace Excel with a spreadsheet backed by Python as the scripting language. Whatever happened to him?
    As someone who has been in software since the 90's and for many companies....assuming you pick right I think self taught tend to be better than those that have degrees, The latter tend to be you can't teach me anything I have a degree
    "The latter tend to be you can't teach me anything I have a degree"

So they have failed at the most basic thing a degree is supposed to teach.
    I have found to a certain extent that people with degrees tend to not like being corrected in what they are doing by people who don't have degrees....certainly not all but a significant enough slice of them
    William felt the distinct unease of a well-educated man who has to confront the fact that the illiterate man watching him could probably outthink him three times over.
    The Truth - Terry Pratchett
    Precisely
    The trouble is there is a wide gap between software written on a university course and what is acceptable as commercial software
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Is that a lot?
    It's going to be a close finish, KJT is stronger at the long jump and Thiam is better at javelin, they're both pretty even at 800m, maybe KJT shades it. What we have seen today is KJT step up at shotput which bodes well for her javelin score tomorrow and Thiam didn't have a great 200m so it's not like she's got any better at running which means her long jump and 800m won't be better than expected.

I think KJT is well placed for the gold but it will be very close, a couple of tenths faster tonight for the 200m and KJT would probably be clear already barring any disasters.
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Is that a lot?
    No Thiams Javelin PB is 298 pts better than KJT
    Love the women’s long jump winner falling straight back into the pit.
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

If Leon was a lawyer.

A disgraceful question.

I concede entirely.
    I think that "Teasy" is a better nickname, by determinative nominalism.
This discussion has been closed.