Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Laying the favourite – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,048
edited August 4 in General
imageLaying the favourite – politicalbetting.com

The Sunday Times are reporting that

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,519
    edited July 28
    Deadpool & Wolverine yesterday and this morning I wake up to the news that Robert Downey Jr is returning to the MCU as Doctor Doom in the forthcoming Avenger films.

This is the weekend for geekgasms.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Eagles, Fantastic Four antagonist? That particular quartet don't have a great record when it comes to films.

Mr. Eagles, Fantastic Four antagonist? That particular quartet don't have a great record when it comes to films.

That was when the Fantastic Four and Dr Doom were under the control of Fox, they are now under the auspices of Kevin Feige and Disney.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

Deadpool & Wolverine yesterday and this morning I wake up to the news that Robert Downey Jr is returning to the MCU as Doctor Doom in the forthcoming Avenger films.

It is tough to pick out the nadir here, in a film made entirely of lows, but I am going to go for a scene near the start of Deadpool & Wolverine when the film-makers opt to disrespect their audience in a way not seen since Eric Cantona kung-fu-kicked a fan in 1995.

This is just insulting. Complexity is ladled on to cover up that nothing makes sense. But millions in marketing made you buy your ticket, so the joke’s not necessarily with you but on you.

1 star

https://www.thetimes.com/culture/film/article/ive-just-watched-deadpool-and-wolverine-marvel-has-finally-hit-rock-bottom-wwf7nfskm
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Surely the Guardian would do better to keep its scurrilous gossip to itself...

...until Badenoch is leading the Tories into the next election?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Eagles, recent MCU films have not exactly been winning plaudits. Still, maybe they'll do better this time.

As an aside, I watched Deadpool 2 last night. Entertaining, probably preferred the first one.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Scott_xP said:

It is tough to pick out the nadir here, in a film made entirely of lows, but I am going to go for a scene near the start of Deadpool & Wolverine when the film-makers opt to disrespect their audience in a way not seen since Eric Cantona kung-fu-kicked a fan in 1995.

This is just insulting. Complexity is ladled on to cover up that nothing makes sense. But millions in marketing made you buy your ticket, so the joke’s not necessarily with you but on you.

1 star

https://www.thetimes.com/culture/film/article/ive-just-watched-deadpool-and-wolverine-marvel-has-finally-hit-rock-bottom-wwf7nfskm
    That’s a Kermode-esque review.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Scott_xP said:

1 star

I saw Twisters on Friday (glad I wasn’t watching the nonsense in Paris!). It was pretty good - not as good as the original - but a fair amount of thought had gone into it (unlike the garbage comic book stuff).
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 28
    Fishing said:

Sunset Times front page reporting that Labour might scrap HS2 between Euston and Old Oak to help pay for hotels for illegal immigrants and inflation busting public sector rises £20 billion gap in finances the Tories left

Hopefully that's just a start to scrapping the whole misbegotten project. Building an absurdly expensive railway from somewhere near central Birmingham without any real links to a desolate part of west London is the biggest waste of money since the London Olympics. It may have made sense at £30 billion, it's crazy at £70 billion or £100 billion or whatever the current guess is - by far the most expensive rail line in the world per mile I think. Unless of course the idea is to show the rest of the world that we can do disastrously overrunning white elephants with no coherent business case.

We should leave that honour to the Californians and spend our money on something more useful, like Crossrail 2, the Bakerloo Line extension, or even, shock, giving taxpayers a break.
    The Birmingham branch is just a nice to have bolt on (and Curzon St right next to Moor St is not exactly the middle of nowhere).

The core route is Euston to Lichfield.

The main (unspoken) reason it is being built is to provide an extra pair pf tracks between Euston and Lichfield to allow more commuter trains to run between Euston and Rugby due to three huge new towns being built on the route (Hemel, MK and Northampton), also to fit some more goods trains on it.

(Compare the number of trains per hour in Rush Hour stopping at Northampton and Bedford and you get the picture and start to understand why commuter train overcrowding is epic on that line (to the extent that large numbers of people drive from places like Northampton and Daventry down the M1 to Flitwick and Harlington instead)

However, for it to work it needs to go to Euston. Terminating it at Wormwood Scrubs Parkway turns the whole thing into a white elephant, unless your nearest and dearest are incarcerated there, in which case it is quite handy.
    edited July 28
    Scott_xP said:

1 star

The reviewer is talking shite.

Anyone dissing Deadpool & Wolverine is worse than Max Verstappen in my eyes.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    I think Harris chooses Shapiro, to shut down any accusations she is Anti Isreal. And he's from PA, 20 crucial electoral college votes
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

1 star

I saw Twisters on Friday (glad I wasn’t watching the nonsense in Paris!). It was pretty good - not as good as the original - but a fair amount of thought had gone into it (unlike the garbage comic book stuff).
    I enjoyed Twisters.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    edited July 28
    Anyone interested in keeping an eye on the weather in Paris will be pleased to know that one of the BBC streams currently is outside broadcasting near the Eiffel Tower so you can keep an eye on the sunny Sunday morning there.

Unfortunately the view is being somewhat ruined by the women’s beach volleyball but the toned women in bikinis are easy to ignore.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Scott_xP said:

1 star

Or you could go and you know, watch it, and share your own opinion of it? It's a widely reviewed film, some of the reviews are going to be bad. 79% are good, and the bad one you have found doesn't make me less inclined to go and see it. The irony is probably lost on you that you have cutnpasted a complaint about excessive levels of meta.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Scott_xP said:

1 star

I tried to watch Ridley Scott's Napoleon the other day. Gave up after about 40 minutes. It was abysmal.

• FPT. Porridge

I just buy smashed oats (tesco scottish porridge oats) - link below, put them into a bowl and add boiling water, stir and a sprinkling of water on top.

Tried various other brands oats but most were a bit too tough. The tesco ones are perfect

I originally mixed in powdered milk until it got too expensive/difficult to source in the plague scare and found it made little difference to the taste.

It is basically the same as just add water pots or sachets of porridge but a tenth of the price

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292990837?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*MPX_PMAX_All_OT_All+Products_Online+Budget_1011017**292990837*&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpNGfkKDJhwMVyJZQBh3RmAuUEAQYASABEgJEEPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

Seriously tempted to buy a 15 year old car next time.

15 years is where you start to into seriously labour intensive problems like rust repairs, suspension bushings and bleed nipples that snap off as soon as you turn them.

If all you want is efficient and reliable transport then nothing has ever been superior to a 2024 BEV.

If you want to arse about modifying cars then the optimum age is after the introduction of OBD2 (1994-5) but before the ubiquity of CANBUS to control everything (mid noughties).

Lots of modern cars still have physical SIMs for the telematics so if you are gifted at disassembling, and ideally re-assembling, car interiors you can usually find it and remove it. Latest gen Porsches and BMWs use e-sims so you're fucked for disabling that.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited July 28

Scott_xP said:

1 star

I tried to watch Ridley Scott's Napoleon the other day. Gave up after about 40 minutes. It was abysmal.

Scott made a great Napoleonic film. Unfortunately it was The Duellists filmed almost 50 years ago.

FPT. Porridge

I just buy smashed oats (tesco scottish porridge oats) - link below, put them into a bowl and add boiling water, stir and a sprinkling of water on top.

Tried various other brands oats but most were a bit too tough. The tesco ones are perfect

I originally mixed in powdered milk until it got too expensive/difficult to source in the plague scare and found it made little difference to the taste.

It is basically the same as just add water pots or sachets of porridge but a tenth of the price

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292990837?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*MPX_PMAX_All_OT_All+Products_Online+Budget_1011017**292990837*&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpNGfkKDJhwMVyJZQBh3RmAuUEAQYASABEgJEEPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can microwave ordinary oats plus water. Just do a very small quantity in a very big bowl, or it climbs out.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

FPT. Porridge

Make it the previous night and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Then leave it in the fridge and reheat in the morning. I like to add some maple syrup and butter. It becomes more filling and better for you. Haven't had it for years but don't really have breakfast any more.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Jenrick already leads with Tory members now and has the most Tory MPs supporting him as it stands so is now probably favourite
    "Robert Jenrick emerges as Tory leadership frontrunner in new poll" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/22/robert-jenrick-emerges-tory-leadership-frontrunner-poll/
    HYUFD said:

Jenrick already leads with Tory members now and has the most Tory MPs supporting him as it stands so is now probably favourite
    "Robert Jenrick emerges as Tory leadership frontrunner in new poll" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/22/robert-jenrick-emerges-tory-leadership-frontrunner-poll/

He's not the betting favourite at the moment. Yet.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

FPT. Porridge

You can microwave ordinary oats plus water. Just do a very small quantity in a very big bowl, or it climbs out.
    Saucepan starting with cold water, ratio 3:1, simmer 2 mins - never been a problem. Same for rye porridge, but ratio 2½:1

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    F1? I know that he is somehow starting P2 but will still finish in the Perez position (P17)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

Saucepan starting with cold water, ratio 3:1, simmer 2 mins - never been a problem. Same for rye porridge, but ratio 2½:1

The advantage of the microwave method is that it results in no pots to clean

Scott_xP said:

1 star

After Waterloo, a further Napoleon film seems pointless. You're not going to get 10,000 Soviet soldiers to play extras, so why bother?
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

Not environment friendly then

• FF43FF43 Posts: 16,963

FPT. Porridge

Porridge made with oatmeal is my view a much superior product to rolled oats. It's creamier with just a bit of texture on the centre of the grain. You're not supposed to add milk to be authentic, but forget that.

Not difficult to make and you don't need to soak the night before, but I guess the few extra minutes of cooking and a pan to wash means we don't do it every day.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

I can't remember which celebrity chef I heard an interview with - but after many years of doing shows and writing cookery books he was talking to his publisher. After asking what were the most popular recipes and then spending some time puzzling over them trying to figure out what linked them, the publisher explained that simply they were the recipes that caused the least washing up.

Much to the dismay of said chef.
    F3 and F2 drivers this morning are playing a much more expensive version of fairground bumper cars.

FPT. Porridge

My Angus grandad would have called that brose, for a farm labourer a quickly prepared start to the day compared to a simmering porridge pot. I’ve heard tell of the porridge drawer where the cold sliceable porridge could be eaten at one’s convenience, but never saw it in the flesh.
    Sandpit said:

F3 and F2 drivers this morning are playing a much more expensive version of fairground bumper cars.

Disappointingly dry conditions though.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

I prefer Ready Brek cold with milk.
    edited July 28

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

What's wrong with Iron Brew?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,759
    Rumours that TSE outbid Sunil.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn08q0qg2lzo
    Nigelb said:
    Sunil can have it.

FPT. Porridge

My Angus grandad would have called that brose, for a farm labourer a quickly prepared start to the day compared to a simmering porridge pot. I’ve heard tell of the porridge drawer where the cold sliceable porridge could be eaten at one’s convenience, but never saw it in the flesh.
    Country kitchen table draw.

http://etsy.com/uk/listing/1486019840/antique-victorian-pine-kitchen-farmhouse?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_a-home

Actually better for you, hence overnight oats.

https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/the-science-behind-soaking-grains/
    Dura_Ace said:

This is it, boys. This is the Internet we were promised. It's here.
    You should be pleased, at least we're discussing something your allowed to eat (partially).
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    On topic, they can't go for Tugendhat. It would be absolute chaos, as all and sundry struggle to spell his seriously difficult name correctly. I suppose he could change his name to Tom Tom, but otherwise it would make the days of Kier, Raynor and Osbourne look like a golden era of minor misdemeanours.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    edited July 28
    Dura_Ace said:

My comment was meant as a dig about those discussing porridge.

It's better then the bile that emanates from some on here .
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

1 star

I watched Twisters last night. I had to hold on to my seat. Enjoyable juddering.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Dura_Ace said:

You should be pleased, at least we're discussing something your allowed to eat (partially).
    Allowed to but shouldn't.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Although he has been designated a liberal or one nation Tory, perhaps Tugendhat could be the leader the Tories need to fight the culture war coming from China, Islamism, Putin and various useful idiots and the disgruntled in our own midst. A solid defence of the particularly British version of western liberal democracy ought to be the Tories' number one priority.

The top ten percent of income earners who are used to having the Tories prioritise their interests need to accept that there are more important things going on right now. No doubt many will raise noisy objections that THEIR party has been stolen.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,088

On topic, they can't go for Tugendhat. It would be absolute chaos, as all and sundry struggle to spell his seriously difficult name correctly. I suppose he could change his name to Tom Tom, but otherwise it would make the days of Kier, Raynor and Osbourne look like a golden era of minor misdemeanours.

Tom Tugendhat is surely the answer to the question, which Conservative's CV makes him look most like a spy since Rory left? Cambridge (like Kim Philby), journalist in Lebanon (like Kim Philby), ran a bit of Afghanistan, speaks Arabic.

You can make up a little mnemonic story around tug, end, hat. Possibly best to keep the details to yourself.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    My dad soaks it in the pan overnight. Says it tastes better that way. I said I'd take his word for it.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 983
    edited July 28
    Have any of the contenders for the leadership of The Former Party of Government (AKA The Conservative Party) managed to get 10 nominees yet - with more and more MPs throwing their hats into the 1922 organised election it is possible only 1 or 2 will make the final. Then what?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    On topic: I have Jenrick @ 14 - one of my better ones.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

HYUFD said:

I'm very red on Jenrick. :disappointed:

Tell me this isn't happening...
    kinabalu said:

My dad soaks it in the pan overnight. Says it tastes better that way. I said I'd take his word for it.

What does your dad soak in the pan?
    edited July 28

HYUFD said:

It is happening, never misunderestimate a Cambridge educated lawyer.

I am very red on Kemi and Suella.

They are my Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton of this race.
    edited July 28
    Jenrick personally ordered the painting over of cartoons such as Mickey Mouse and The Jungle Book's Baloo because they were “too welcoming” to the children. I cannot forgive Jenrick his meanness and It's affected my betting I'm afraid. I try not to be emotional in my betting but I can't help it with this one.

If Jenrick becomes Tory leader, this will haunt him and the party. Good for Labour and the LibDems so silver lining.
    Barnesian said:

Jenrick personally ordered the painting over of cartoons such as Mickey Mouse and The Jungle Book's Baloo because they were “too welcoming” to the children. I cannot forgive Jenrick his meanness and It's affected my betting I'm afraid. I try not to be emotional in my betting but I can't help it with this one.

If Jenrick becomes Tory leader, this will haunt him and the party. Good for Labour and the LibDems so silver lining.

He has regretted that choice.

https://inews.co.uk/news/robert-jenrick-regret-mickey-mouse-mural-painting-over-3011486
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    OT; Jenrick feels like he might be in the right place at the right time for this one.

To the right on culture and immigration issues? Check.

Has been on a journey? Check.

Is not Suella Braverman? Check.

Not in the previous cabinet so can portray a degree of distance from some policies? Check.

Badenoch still has to be in with a good chance but I do wonder if she might be too combative in an election where she needs to try and portray a concilatory/unifying side.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    Pollution in the River Seine has forced the cancellation of Sunday's proposed swimming training for Olympic triathletes in Paris.

A joint statement from Paris 2024 and World Triathlon said that tests had shown the water quality was below an acceptable standard.

After tests in July, the River Seine was deemed to be clean enough for swimming but heavy rain in the French capital over the past 48 hours has seen the quality diminish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/cn05nxv2z9po

How can this be when water in Paris is controlled by the local council ?

HYUFD said:

It is happening, never misunderestimate a Cambridge educated lawyer.

I am very red on Kemi and Suella.

They are my Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton of this race.
    You should know Suella is a Cambridge-educated lawyer too, and probably has better shoes than Jenrick.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226

Although he has been designated a liberal or one nation Tory, perhaps Tugendhat could be the leader the Tories need to fight the culture war coming from China, Islamism, Putin and various useful idiots and the disgruntled in our own midst. A solid defence of the particularly British version of western liberal democracy ought to be the Tories' number one priority.

The top ten percent of income earners who are used to having the Tories prioritise their interests need to accept that there are more important things going on right now. No doubt many will raise noisy objections that THEIR party has been stolen.

No, not the top ten percent of income earners but the top ten percent of property owners.
    Icarus said:

Have any of the contenders for the leadership of The Former Party of Government (AKA The Conservative Party) managed to get 10 nominees yet - with more and more MPs throwing their hats into the 1922 organised election it is possible only 1 or 2 will make the final. Then what?

Current state of nominees

Pollution in the River Seine has forced the cancellation of Sunday's proposed swimming training for Olympic triathletes in Paris.

A joint statement from Paris 2024 and World Triathlon said that tests had shown the water quality was below an acceptable standard.

After tests in July, the River Seine was deemed to be clean enough for swimming but heavy rain in the French capital over the past 48 hours has seen the quality diminish.

Whoops. When you make a massive point of saying you’ve cleaned up your river.

Barnesian said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/robert-jenrick-regret-mickey-mouse-mural-painting-over-3011486
    Too late. Unforgiveable.
    Shocked!

VAT on school fees could raise less than half the sum expected

HMRC analysis shows private pupils moving to state sector could punch hole in Labour tax-raising plan

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/vat-on-school-fees-could-raise-less-than-half-the-sum-expected-0k0jdcrtq
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Too late. Unforgiveable.
    Indeed.
    edited July 28

Barnesian said:

Of course he's regretting it: it has unsurprisingly damaged his popularity - but that choice shows where his instincts lie.

The Nasty Party reborn.
    Icarus said:

Squeaky bum time for all the Tory insiders who bet on a November handover. The 1922 has stuffed things up so it could be over by August. Not many contenders and the last one might withdraw. This is what happened to David Cameron who thought he could enjoy Chequers over the summer before handing over at Conference, only for Boris to withdraw, Gove to implode, then Andrea Leadsom was forced to pull out and Theresa May had her lectern in Downing Street by July, three months ahead of schedule.

Shocked!

HMRC analysis shows private pupils moving to state sector could punch hole in Labour tax-raising plan

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/vat-on-school-fees-could-raise-less-than-half-the-sum-expected-0k0jdcrtq

Did they not factor in that there would obviously be a reduced number of private school pupils?
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

Uh??
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 28

You can make up a little mnemonic story around tug, end, hat. Possibly best to keep the details to yourself.
    Socks were bad enough

Shocked!

Did they not factor in that there would obviously be a reduced number of private school pupils?
    No, it was something a few of us pointed out at the time and the flawed assumption that the number in private schools were growing and would grow which was in fact an artefact of the pandemic when a few parents didn't start their kids in private education in 2020 and to a lesser extent in 2021.

Shocked!

No, it was something a few of us pointed out at the time and the flawed assumption that the number in private schools were growing and would grow which was in fact an artefact of the pandemic when a few parents didn't start their kids in private education in 2020 and to a lesser extent in 2021.
    Putting up the price of something reduces the demand for it. Who’d have thought it?

OT; Jenrick feels like he might be in the right place at the right time for this one.

To the right on culture and immigration issues? Check.

Has been on a journey? Check.

Is not Suella Braverman? Check.

Not in the previous cabinet so can portray a degree of distance from some policies? Check.

Badenoch still has to be in with a good chance but I do wonder if she might be too combative in an election where she needs to try and portray a concilatory/unifying side.

‘Jenrick’ sounds like a name Dickens rejected as not being quite good enough for one of his villains.
  • Sandpit said:

Shocked!

Putting up the price of something reduces the demand for it. Who’d have thought it?
    A laffer curve for taxes? Really?
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Jenrick is absolutely the leader the Tories need. Morality. Brains. Emotional IQ.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

Icarus said:

Squeaky bum time for all the Tory insiders who bet on a November handover. The 1922 has stuffed things up so it could be over by August. Not many contenders and the last one might withdraw. This is what happened to David Cameron who thought he could enjoy Chequers over the summer before handing over at Conference, only for Boris to withdraw, Gove to implode, then Andrea Leadsom was forced to pull out and Theresa May had her lectern in Downing Street by July, three months ahead of schedule.
    Seems unlikely there'll be a coronation at the Party Conference at this stage.

I agree one or two of those declared will fail to gain the momentum needed to be in the final four and the final four could be a final two or three by October.

The parallel with 2016 is inaccurate - that was for choosing a Prime Minister not an Opposition leader. The dynamics of those contests are always different - the Conservatives don't need a leader now or in the next couple of weeks.
    Barnesian said:

Icarus said:

Shouldn’t that be “the absolute state of the nominees” ?
    Sandpit said:

Whoops. When you make a massive point of saying you’ve cleaned up your river.
    A massive amount of rainfall produces an overlow of sewage, who knew?
    Well, all the English water companies who habitually use it as an excuses for rivers of turds.

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

Uh??
    How do you dispose of the microwave container without washing up?

Barnesian said:

I was shocked when I discovered this story: that the government was painting murals of cartoon characters without paying royalties to Disney. It fair made me sick.

Shocked!

If you read the article, the headline is the worst case of three scenarios. Granted, even the best case falls short of Labour expectations but by nowhere near as much - the VAT measure would raise £1.15 billion rather than £1.6 billion.

No one seems to be suggesting Eton, Winchester, Harrow or Dulwich will go to the wall over this but there are a lot of smaller schools, who, as we know, would struggle to survive.
    Interesting.
    And agree about homework. Schools need to rethink how they get students to practice intellectual activity. Like work, it doesn’t have to be fun, but if kids actively hate it, then it’s a waste of time.

Fascinating graph showing how much people report enjoying different activities. Much of it backs up common sense but here's what jumped out to me:

1. 'Computer games' are among the most enjoyable, probably deserve more respect. Clearly beat 'watching TV'.

2. 'Play with child' was among the most enjoyable of any activity. Many folks who choose not to have kids probably underrate that pleasure.

Pulling in the other direction 'Childcare' falls in the middle of the pack, though it's more popular by a mile than school, housework, or paid work. No surprise some people opt out of the workforce to raise a family!

By contrast, caring for the infirm or elderly ('Adult care') was only as popular as a normal job.

3. Sleep was among the most enjoyable activities! How do people even score that? 'In bed, not asleep' was unpopular.

4. 'Homework' came dead last, much less popular than even 'School'. Counts in favour of reducing it where it's not generating some big academic benefit...

https://x.com/robertwiblin/status/1807764346442850680

Sandpit said:

Shocked!

It's Marshall, not Laffer, behind the curve you're talking about

Sandpit said:

Shocked!

Doesn't seem to work for housing.
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

Uh??

You make the oats in the bowl you will eat from. It therefore results in only item to wash up (the bowl), rather than two (bowl plus pot).
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

Uh??

You make the oats in the bowl you will eat from. It therefore results in only item to wash up (the bowl), rather than two (bowl plus pot).
    Ok porridge dude, you win on the washing up. I don't mind doing it anyway.

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159

Shocked!

I'd be surprised if it's as much as half, if they break even after everything gets taken into account it will be a shock.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    OT.Catching up on the Manchester airport fracas two things struck me. Manchester airport is possibly the worst airport in the world. It feels like it was designed by the architects who designed Wythenshawe. However that had nothing to do with the fracas.

The second was how much the unfolding drama reminded me of this 1980's commercial for the Guardian which looks very old fashioned now but won British commercial of the year

'Points of View'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsccRkLLzU
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,043

Scott_xP said:

1 star

The reviewer is talking shite.

Anyone dissing Deadpool & Wolverine is worse than Max Verstappen in my eyes.
    It's more of an ignorant insult to Cantona, who actually gave his audience one of the most memorable moments in the history of football.
    Whether this is genuine, or staged (and whatever TF it means), no one was ever likely to say it about either Biden or Trump.

First-time voter in Nevada: I'm super excited. Kamala is here for the youth. She is here for the people who are my age
    https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1817229001762504743
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

Shocked!

Oh it does. If a five bed house with garden in London cost £100k, we’d all want one.

The problem is that everyone has to live somewhere, so there’s a floor to demand related to population and number of available units, as well as availability of finance.
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

Shocked!

There is no curve, FFS.
    If there is, tell me the mathematical function which describes it.
    Roger said:

OT.Catching up on the Manchester airport fracas two things struck me. Manchester airport is possibly the worst airport in the world. It feels like it was designed by the architects who designed Wythenshawe. However that had nothing to do with the fracas.

The second was how much the unfolding drama reminded me of this 1980's commercial for the Guardian which looks very old fashioned now but won British commercial of the year

'Points of View'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsccRkLLzU

Very much the kind of take we would expect from you Rog.
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

Shocked!

Housing must be a "Giffen good" then - i.e inferior goods where the income effect dominates the substitution effect, leading to increased consumption as price rises. Giffen goods are extremely rare and their existence in real-world economies is debated. So your observation is quite significant

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

Uh??

If you eat cold tofu out of the pack, there’s no washing up at all.
    And yet it’s … surprisingly unpopular.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Barnesian said:

The Seven (Moral and Intellectual) Dwarves.

Stupidy, Nasty, Gaetzy, Turdy, Speccy, Fatty and Faily
    edited July 28
    Nigelb said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

Shocked!

There is no curve, FFS.
    If there is, tell me the mathematical function which describes it.
    There is a myriad of possible functional forms that fit the requirement for a monotonically declining relationship.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,962
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

FPT. Porridge

What's wrong with Iron Brew?
    Iron Brew with milk?
    Well, I guess it takes all sorts of people.
    Nigelb said:

Barnesian said:

Icarus said:

Shouldn’t that be “the absolute state of the nominees” ?
    Priti Patel has just got Andrew Snowden as a backer making four in total so far.

I am coming to the conclusion that if Labour are serious about fixing the health service, the quickest way to do that would be to make private dental/medical care tax deductable, as in just about every other country in the world, which would reduce demand on the NHS significantly

They won't for dogma reasons of course, and wouldn't even if it increased the tax taken as we are seeing with private schools

Yes, the quickest way to reduce demand for public healthcare is to make the private option cheaper.

Employers providing health insurance to their employees should be given a tax break for it, not have it taxed as a benefit in kind.

I am coming to the conclusion that if Labour are serious about fixing the health service, the quickest way to do that would be to make private dental/medical care tax deductable, as in just about every other country in the world, which would reduce demand on the NHS significantly

They won't for dogma reasons of course, and wouldn't even if it increased the tax taken as we are seeing with private schools

And if it increased take up in private insurance it would encourage more private companies to set up clinics and hospitals increasing the national stockpile of kit that the NHs can borrow if they have backlogs.
This discussion has been closed.