Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,054
edited August 4 in General
imageOh dear, how sad, never mind – politicalbetting.com

Suella Braverman unlikely to find ten Tory MPs needed to enter leadership racehttps://t.co/RXCsK7GakD

Read the full story here

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,660
    That is a terrible tragedy.

For the Liberal Democrats.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,603
    So who benefits?

Presumably the saner Right-wingers... Bobby Jenrick, for example.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Very sad
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,538
    Funny how constantly undermining your colleagues means you can’t get many people to support your leadership bid….

I expect she will flounce to Reform soon.
  • johntjohnt Posts: 166
    Problem for the Tories is that her views are widespread in the party. So even if she cannot stand as leader any new leader will need to seek to rid the party of its toxic element. I don’t see that as a ‘one parliament’ job. It is likely to take longer than that.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    Hugely encouraging. She would be a disaster.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,124
    Nigelb said:

Whoever wrote Biden's speech last night knows his business.

Bit it was again very clear why he can't carry on. He is neither dead nor mad, as some of our more excitable posters have variously claimed this week. But he is very greatly diminished

Actually I thought it was a bad speech, that sounded like it had been written by a committee, with each member writing a sentence in turn.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,124

Funny how constantly undermining your colleagues means you can’t get many people to support your leadership bid….

Maybe but I suspect Suella will stick around, perhaps thinking this a good election to have lost, as the saying goes. It is unlikely, though not impossible, that its winner will become Prime Minister.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,409
    I wonder who does actually end up standing. Do any of them really want to be the next Willliam Hague, as opposed to the next David Cameron?
  • johntjohnt Posts: 166
    Nigelb said:

Bit it was again very clear why he can't carry on. He is neither dead nor mad, as some of our more excitable posters have variously claimed this week. But he is very greatly diminished

I thought that if it had not been genuine it would have been a perfect acting performance. It was clear that (after decades of service) it was time for him to move on. But it also showed he has the passion and commitment to do another 6 months.
    I think the republican line is hugely disrespectful (not just to Biden but the electorate at large). The electorate voted for an old man at the last presidential election because the republicans put up a candidate they found less attractive. Since that election the old man, has got older. Well who’d have thought that might happen? Their endless moaning about it is very tedious.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,425
    A man has been charged with attempted murder after a soldier in uniform was stabbed in Kent.

Anthony Esan, 24, was charged after an assault in Sally Port Gardens, Chatham, on Tuesday.

The soldier was attacked near his home, which is also close to Brompton Barracks, the headquarters of the British Army's 1 Royal School of Military Engineering Regiment.

Sandpit said:

I wonder who does actually end up standing. Do any of them really want to be the next Willliam Hague, as opposed to the next David Cameron?

They will all think that they can turn it around in four years. If they didn't have that much self-confidence, they wouldn't have made it to the upper reaches of politics.

And Starmer shows what can be done... If the government turns into an exploding clown car driven by especially nasty clowns.
    Unfortunately for the Tories, the nasty clowns have just been booted out of Labour at least for the time being.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 25
    Has the bubble finally burst?

If so the ramifications for the US election will be huge

Nasdaq 100 is down 1650 points from its peak of 20,690 on July 10th. And last night

"Tokyo’s benchmark Nikkei 225 lost more than 1,000 points at one stage as pessimism set in around the so-called “Magnificent Seven” group of megacap companies on Wall Street.

The world’s only $3 trillion companies all dragged down markets, with Nvidia dropping 6.8pc, Apple down 2.9pc and Microsoft down 3.6pc. Tesla fell 12pc."

[The cause was Tesla and Alphabet (google) profits matching reality not insanity]

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/ftse-100-latest-news-uk-asia-europe-stocks-fall-us-tech/
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,600
    One for @Sandpit and @Scott_xP

CrowdStrike offers $10 gift card to clients hit by global tech failure

Faulty update made about 8.5 million Windows devices unusable on Friday

CrowdStrike has offered partners affected by the global tech failure a $10 Uber Eats gift card, according to several people who have said publicly that they received the reward.

Some of the company’s cybersecurity partners, which do not include all of the company’s customers, received an email from CrowdStrike offering the gift card because the company had recognised “the additional work that the July 19 incident has caused”.

It went on to say that CrowdStrike sends its “heartfelt thanks and apologies for the inconvenience”, according to TechCrunch — which first reported the news — and an affected individual who shared a copy of the email with The Times.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/technology-uk/article/crowdstrike-offers-10-gift-card-to-clients-hit-by-global-tech-failure-sz22zvs29

Nasdaq 100 is down 1650 points from its peak of 20,690 on July 10th. And last night

"Tokyo’s benchmark Nikkei 225 lost more than 1,000 points at one stage as pessimism set in around the so-called “Magnificent Seven” group of megacap companies on Wall Street.

The world’s only $3 trillion companies all dragged down markets, with Nvidia dropping 6.8pc, Apple down 2.9pc and Microsoft down 3.6pc. Tesla fell 12pc."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/ftse-100-latest-news-uk-asia-europe-stocks-fall-us-tech/

If Donald Trump goes bankrupt midway through the campaign that will certainly add to the gaiety of the nations.

Nigelb said:

Actually I thought it was a bad speech, that sounded like it had been written by a committee, with each member writing a sentence in turn.
    Most of Biden’s recent speeches have been a little like that, quite disjointed.

He’s now clearly too old and frail to want to stand for another four years, and from his party’s point of view it’s good that they’ve quickly convalesced around Harris as the candidate. Initial polling seems to have Harris ahead of where Biden was, although she’s still a pretty blank piece of paper to many Americans.

Some of their activists didn’t want a coronation though - as one comedian put it, don’t the Democrats believe in the right to choose?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,251
    England would have qualified for the Olympics men’s football, except for the lack of agreement over how to represent the UK when there are English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams.

England would have qualified for the Olympics men’s football, except for the lack of agreement over how to represent the UK when there are English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams.

So nationalism has its advantages?
  • ydoethur said:

If Donald Trump goes bankrupt midway through the campaign that will certainly add to the gaiety of the nations.
    Unless he has bet the house on Tech Stocks he wont have much to worry about.

Unfortunately for the Dems though most US defined contribution pension funds have bet the house on tech stocks.

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately for the Dems though most US defined contribution pension funds have bet the house on tech stocks.
    Does Truth Social count as a tech stock?

If so, he's bet the house, the garden, the car, the dog and his false teeth on them.

CrowdStrike has offered partners affected by the global tech failure a $10 Uber Eats gift card, according to several people who have said publicly that they received the reward.

Some of the company’s cybersecurity partners, which do not include all of the company’s customers, received an email from CrowdStrike offering the gift card because the company had recognised “the additional work that the July 19 incident has caused”.

It went on to say that CrowdStrike sends its “heartfelt thanks and apologies for the inconvenience”, according to TechCrunch — which first reported the news — and an affected individual who shared a copy of the email with The Times.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/technology-uk/article/crowdstrike-offers-10-gift-card-to-clients-hit-by-global-tech-failure-sz22zvs29

When am I supposed to stop laughing at that?

My company is several grand in the hole, and they’re offering me a $10 gift card from one of the world’s sh!ttiest data-collecting companies by way of compensation.

F them, and F the horse on which they rode in.
    edited July 25
    Sandpit said:

My company is several grand in the hole, and they’re offering me a $10 gift card from one of the world’s sh!ttiest data-collecting companies by way of compensation.

I'm impressed you can laugh.

That offer looks more like a studied insult to me.
    Co-incidentally, I got a marketing email from Trend Micro yesterday, offering me an introductory discount on their management tools to kick out Crowdstrike.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,670

ydoethur said:

Perhaps he has piled into Crowdstrike !!!!
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I'm impressed you can laugh.

That offer looks more like a studied insult to me.
    It’s not very studied.

Maybe but I suspect Suella will stick around, perhaps thinking this a good election to have lost, as the saying goes. It is unlikely, though not impossible, that its winner will become Prime Minister.
    People said the same about Starmer when he won the Labour leadership.

Only way the Scots, Welsh, and Norn Ironers will get to a final is if they are part of Team GB.

I understand why they are reticent though, it boils the piss of UEFA and FIFA the unique position the home nations have in football and they want to end it.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Does Truth Social count as a tech stock?

If so, he's bet the house, the garden, the car, the dog and his false teeth on them.
    Counts more as a Ponzi scheme.
    edited July 25

[The cause was Tesla and Alphabet (google) profits matching reality not insanity]

It’s been talked about for a while that all of these companies are quite ridiculously overvalued, but profits are now falling and a number of hyped technologies have turned out to have been mostly hype.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,394

Only way the Scots, Welsh, and Norn Ironers will get to a final is if they are part of Team GB.

I understand why they are reticent though, it boils the piss of UEFA and FIFA the unique position the home nations have in football and they want to end it.
    I’ve always thought this was easy to resolve. Have a mini tournament of the home nations, with the winning team representing Team GB.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876

Nigelb said:

Was that the writing, or the delivery ?
    One of the speechmaking skills is to glide over such discontinuities.

Did you read it first, or listen to it first ?

We will have to see. The US bond markets made some interesting moves yesterday, there was a massive move in the yield curve. 2Y is now above 10Y. But we have been here before many times.

Lots of chatter now that the Fed will cut this month.

I cannot see how Trumps isolationism and plans to weaponise the dollar through devalution could do anything positive.

Also whoever wins need to do something about the debt instead of just adding to it.
    Jonathan said:

I’ve always thought this was easy to resolve. Have a mini tournament of the home nations, with the winning team representing Team GB.
    Good luck finding a spot in the calendar for such a tournament.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    edited July 25
    Interesting interview with an ex chief constable of the Met putting the boot into the Manchester police and seeming to be trying to create a nasty racial incident. What are the BBC up to?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm

(At approx 7.38)
    Roger said:

Interesting interview with an ex chief constable of the Met putting the boot into the Manchester police and seeming to be trying to create a racial nasty racial incident. What are the BBC up to?

Approx 7.38

GMB did the same this morning. A narrative is being built here.

We need to know the full facts. In isolation its looks awful.
    Sandpit said:

Just imagine you were at an airline company.
    Orders of magnitude more cost.

And you'd probably still be up a ladder somewhere rebooting one of your airport displays.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,158
    Taz said:

We will have to see. The US bond markets made some interesting moves yesterday, there was a massive move in the yield curve. 2Y is now above 10Y. But we have been here before many times.

I cannot see how Trumps isolationism and plans to weaponise the dollar through devalution could do anything positive.

Also whoever wins need to do something about the debt instead of just adding to it.
    The political and economic volatility elsewhere is starting to make Britain look like a bit of a safe haven for investment, now the moron premium has gone and the dullness dividend kicks in. So says the Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/britain-shaking-off-moron-premium-safe-haven-global-cash/
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited July 25
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

They will all think that they can turn it around in four years. If they didn't have that much self-confidence, they wouldn't have made it to the upper reaches of politics.

And Starmer shows what can be done... If the government turns into an exploding clown car driven by especially nasty clowns.
    Unfortunately for the Tories, the nasty clowns have just been booted out of Labour at least for the time being.
    Corbyn was on Tom Swarbrick's show on LBC last night talking about putting the band back together along with some hard-line Gazan independents. He is in his happy place and I don't see why the Magnificent Seven shouldn't stay Corbyn indie after the six month ban has been lifted.

The shame is that by accident Diane forgot to vote.
  • Roger said:

Interesting interview with an ex chief constable of the Met putting the boot into the Manchester police and seeming to be trying to create a nasty racial incident. What are the BBC up to?

(At approx 7.38)

Not often the Met get to play holier than thou these days. So he is making hay while the sun shines.

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Corbyn was on Tom Swarbrick's show on LBC last night talking about putting the band back together along with some hard-line Gazan independents. He is in his happy place and I don't see why the Magnificent Seven shouldn't stay indie after the six month ban has been lifted.

Did Lavery, Cat Smith and Gardiner all vote for it, or did they have diplomatic colds?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    The Democrats having finally, if belatedly, bitten the bullet with Biden, attention now turns to the other senile dinosaur in the race. And Trump reacts by describing himself as a "fine and brilliant young man" to general derision:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/crazy-town-trump-s-baffling-midnight-meltdown-leaves-everyone-confused/ar-BB1qt0iH?ocid=BingNewsSerp&cvid=3699b57ec3854adea4301e04e864bf58&ei=23

We are going to see a lot more of this. Trump says many truly bizarre and delusional things but Biden gave him cover by consistently losing the plot. He's going to find taking on someone 19 years his junior a lot tougher, not because of anything she says or does, but because he will be far more exposed.
    Taz said:

Roger said:

Interesting interview with an ex chief constable of the Met putting the boot into the Manchester police and seeming to be trying to create a racial nasty racial incident. What are the BBC up to?

Approx 7.38

They have provided some context.
    But it does look rather like retaliation after the subject had been subdued.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw9y2ry3dldo
    ..GMP said its officers had been called to Terminal 2 of the airport at 20:25 BST on Tuesday following reports of a fight.
    It said while trying to arrest a suspect, three of its officers were violently attacked and punched to the ground. One officer suffered a broken nose and all three needed hospital treatment.
    "As the attending officers were firearms officers, there was a clear risk during this assault of their firearms being taken from them," a spokesman for the force said.
    Four men were arrested at the scene for affray and assault on emergency service workers...

I can't claim much, if any sympathy for the arrestee, but the police ought not to behave like that.
    DavidL said:

The Democrats having finally, if belatedly, bitten the bullet with Biden, attention now turns to the other senile dinosaur in the race. And Trump reacts by describing himself as a "fine and brilliant young man" to general derision:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/crazy-town-trump-s-baffling-midnight-meltdown-leaves-everyone-confused/ar-BB1qt0iH?ocid=BingNewsSerp&cvid=3699b57ec3854adea4301e04e864bf58&ei=23

We are going to see a lot more of this. Trump says many truly bizarre and delusional things but Biden gave him cover by consistently losing the plot. He's going to find taking on someone 19 years his junior a lot tougher, not because of anything she says or does, but because he will be far more exposed.

Trump is a Marxist.

He believes he's as old as the woman he feels.
    edited July 25
    Taz said:

Roger said:

Approx 7.38

I see there were "community demonstrations" outside a police station in Rochdale last night, although the protesters apparenlty expressed the view that God is Great so they might have been James Anderton supporting right wingers wanting a return to proper policing.
    edited July 25
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

And you'd probably still be up a ladder somewhere rebooting one of your airport displays.
    Delta cancelled hundreds of flights again yesterday, nearly a week after the incident. Their crew scheduling system and passenger ticketing/checkin system was so badly affected that it took days to work out where planes and pilots were, having to send IT crew to every airport in the country to reset all the dead computers manually.

Add to the various regulated professions (pilots, cabin crew, maintenance crew etc) who have mandated rest periods and work schedules, and the whole thing costs in the hundreds of millions to sort out.

Airports did indeed have people up ladders with keyboards resetting information screens one by one!

Thankfully my company’s mission-critical servers don’t see the internet by design.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Corbyn was on Tom Swarbrick's show on LBC last night talking about putting the band back together along with some hard-line Gazan independents. He is in his happy place and I don't see why the Magnificent Seven shouldn't stay indie after the six month ban has been lifted.

Did Lavery, Cat Smith and Gardiner all vote for it, or did they have diplomatic colds?
    I just misread "Lavery, Cat" as "Larry the Cat" at first glance.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Delta cancelled hundreds of flights again yesterday, nearly a week after the incident. Their crew scheduling system and passenger ticketing/checkin system was so badly affected that it took days to work out where planes and pilots were, having to send IT crew to every airport in the country to reset all the dead computers manually.

Add to the various regulated professions (pilots, cabin crew, maintenance crew etc) who have mandated rest periods and work schedules, and the whole thing costs in the hundreds of millions to sort out.

Airports did indeed have people up ladders with keyboards resetting information screens one by one!
    One of the reasons Carpetright went belly up is because of a malware attack four months ago that took out its online systems.

The British Library is taking literally years to sort out a similar problem,

Malware attacks are one thing. When it's your own paid for security software doing it, that's a horse of a different colour.

If they are uninsured and can't afford proper compensation, that's bad.

But offering a token (literally) like this? Bonkers.

That's almost as bad as the average British Gas settlement.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Thankfully my company’s mission-critical servers don’t see the internet by design.
    Air gapping is awesome.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah, but, a free burger makes it all worthwhile.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,527
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Roger said:

Approx 7.38

..GMP said its officers had been called to Terminal 2 of the airport at 20:25 BST on Tuesday following reports of a fight.
    It said while trying to arrest a suspect, three of its officers were violently attacked and punched to the ground. One officer suffered a broken nose and all three needed hospital treatment.
    "As the attending officers were firearms officers, there was a clear risk during this assault of their firearms being taken from them," a spokesman for the force said.
    Four men were arrested at the scene for affray and assault on emergency service workers...

I can't claim much, if any sympathy for the arrestee, but the police ought not to behave like that.
    IMV whether they should behave 'like that' depends on exactly what went on immediately beforehand. The video rather suspiciously only starts at the part that looks worst for the police.

The fact three officers required hospitalisation indicates it was not quite the situation the video purports to show.
    TimS said:

Taz said:

The political and economic volatility elsewhere is starting to make Britain look like a bit of a safe haven for investment, now the moron premium has gone and the dullness dividend kicks in. So says the Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/britain-shaking-off-moron-premium-safe-haven-global-cash/
    Yes, this was happening prior to the election as people and markets were factoring in a change of government,

Let's hope that Rachel Reeves is smart enough not to scare the horses. I think she is.

We have been undervalued for a while and if we don't value our businesses others will. Hence the bids for some from overseas.

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

Jonathan said:

Good luck finding a spot in the calendar for such a tournament.
    Yeah, heaven forbid we have to drop the likes of friendlies against Iceland and Bosnia-Herzegovina, etc.

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Well, it's inviting customers to burger off.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,194
    For some reason she got herself into a place where she thought dick-measuring and getting into a pissing contest on these was the most important thing, rather than addressing the issues themselves.

That's precisely what the Conservatives don't need and, for that reason, I will shed few tears if she doesn't enter the contest.

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Air gapping is awesome.
    Another of your euphemisms?

Taz said:

Roger said:

Approx 7.38

I see there were "community demonstrations" outside a police station in Rochdale last night, although the protesters apparenlty expressed the view that God is Great so they might have been James Anderton supporting right wingers wanting a return to proper policing.
    On the plus side those were mostly peaceful demonstrations.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I just misread "Lavery, Cat" as "Larry the Cat" at first glance.
    Nah, you'll never find Larry's footprints on anything so obvious:

And when the Foreign Office find a Treaty's gone astray,
    Or the Admiralty lose some plans and drawings by the way,
    There may be a scrap of paper in the hall or on the stair—
    But it's useless to investigate—Larry's not there!
    And when the loss has been disclosed, the Secret Service say:
    It must have been Larry!'—but he's a mile away.
    You'll be sure to find him resting, or a-licking of his thumb;
    Or engaged in doing complicated long division sums.

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Air gapping is awesome.
    Another of your euphemisms?
    Please.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_(networking)
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,534
    Hadn’t seen anything of Kamala until this week. I’ve always thought she can’t be as bad as made out but never been sufficiently interested to look her up. Until now. Goodness me she’s bad.

Grating personality, cackles at peculiar moments in interviews, gaffe prone, seems fairly awkward, shallow. How on earth have they decided it’s best to go with her rather than open the field?

Lost in all the mania that Trump must be defeated at all costs and the haze of excitable polling, how many of her rampers are stopping to ask whether she’d be a good president? It’s quite a disastrous in-tray she’s inheriting. A structural deficit of ~7% going into what might be a fierce recession and market correction, a real rather than rhetorical Axis of Evil aligning their military industrial activities and attempting to unwind Western hegemony, and a less socially cohesive population in more than a century.

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

One of the reasons Carpetright went belly up is because of a malware attack four months ago that took out its online systems.

The British Library is taking literally years to sort out a similar problem,

Malware attacks are one thing. When it's your own paid for security software doing it, that's a horse of a different colour.

If they are uninsured and can't afford proper compensation, that's bad.

But offering a token (literally) like this? Bonkers.

That's almost as bad as the average British Gas settlement.
    To be fair, malware and ransomware attacks are orders of magnitude worse than this one. You often have to rip out your whole network and start again from scratch to avoid bringing the virus back.

This one was more of an inconvenient paid in the arse, needing to physically fix most computers in person.

That half an hour between realising something was seriously wrong with the network, and understanding that it was ‘just’ a screwed-up antivirus update that would be easily fixable, was pretty effing horrible though.

Companies with lots of remote workers, in customer-facing roles, or in regulated industries like airlines, have been utterly screwed by it.
    DavidL said:

So.. there was a typo in his post, and he called himself young?

This is hysterical. He isn't going anywhere and he can't be attacked on the grounds of dodderyness and age like Biden was because that doesn’t resonate.

His malignancy does.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,922
    edited July 25
    Good morning everyone.

The other day we were discussing Chancellors of Oxford University, and whether Lord Mandelbrot was a possible.

I have a question: Why were 4 of the first 8 Chancellors of Oxford University called "Ralph"?

It's a bit .. "Rising Damp".
  • Sandpit said:

It’s been talked about for a while that all of these companies are quite ridiculously overvalued, but profits are now falling and a number of hyped technologies have turned out to have been mostly hype.
    It was the same in 2001. Cisco is a sound company but it's 2001 peak value of $77 in 2001 was absurd (currently $46 ($25 in 2001 prices)).

The valuations of todays bubble stocks are a magnitude of order higher than that.

One of the problems is that fund managers get assessed on fairly short term metrics so it turns into a vicious circle. Stock rises, so funds buy, so rises etc etc, until the day it dosen't.

Still we will see if this is a turning point or blip.

(Currently my DC pension funds are in a deposit fund earning 5% so I can watch from the sidelines but have missed out on some gains)

DavidL said:

This is hysterical. He isn't going anywhere and he can't be attacked on the grounds of dodderyness and age like Biden was because that doesn’t resonate.

His malignancy does.
    He can be. And he will be.

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Thankfully we can mostly laugh at it now, at least at my company we can, as everything got fixed quickly and we didn’t lose too much time to the issue.

To those companies still recovering, or who have lost eight or nine figures, not so much…
  • Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Roger said:

Approx 7.38

Given they are firearms officers, in any other country in the world they would have shot anyone attacking them.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

DavidL said:

His malignancy does.
    Typo my arse. He can't spell, he's not very bright.
  • ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Corbyn was on Tom Swarbrick's show on LBC last night talking about putting the band back together along with some hard-line Gazan independents. He is in his happy place and I don't see why the Magnificent Seven shouldn't stay Corbyn indie after the six month ban has been lifted.

I doubt that was any more accidental than John Majors toothache

DavidL said:

His malignancy does.
    And "fine" and "brilliant". He is none of these things but he might have got a pass on them when Biden was the comparator (well, not "fine" obvs, but the rest).
  • Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Air gapping is awesome.
    It is essential for anything important.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985

Nigelb said:

It wasn't a speech. It was a personal statement and I think almost all of it came from Biden himself. These are the things I want to say to you before I go. It's almost deathbed.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,603
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

His malignancy does.
    And "fine" and "brilliant". He is none of these things but he might have got a pass on them when Biden was the comparator (well, not "fine" obvs, but the rest).
    Bottom line is that Trump fans will just have to find a new excuse now that "Biden isn't up to the job" is no longer available. But an excuse will be found, because human intelligence is very good at finding excuses for its darker desires.

I suspect there's a Padme and Anakin meme in this.

Biden is too old and gaga to be President.

So Trump is standing down, right?

So Trump is standing down, right?
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,853

For some reason she got herself into a place where she thought dick-measuring and getting into a pissing contest on these was the most important thing, rather than addressing the issues themselves.

That's precisely what the Conservatives don't need and, for that reason, I will shed few tears if she doesn't enter the contest.

A simultaneous dick measuring and possing contest sounds… messy
  • Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Yes, this was happening prior to the election as people and markets were factoring in a change of government,

Let's hope that Rachel Reeves is smart enough not to scare the horses. I think she is.

We have been undervalued for a while and if we don't value our businesses others will. Hence the bids for some from overseas.

One way that Labour are lucky is that if you are part of a group being chased by a crocodile, you don't need to be faster than the crocodile, just faster than the slowest person in the group.

Compared with the likes of France, our problems are minor and politics stable.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Hadn’t seen anything of Kamala until this week. I’ve always thought she can’t be as bad as made out but never been sufficiently interested to look her up. Until now. Goodness me she’s bad.

Grating personality, cackles at peculiar moments in interviews, gaffe prone, seems fairly awkward, shallow. How on earth have they decided it’s best to go with her rather than open the field?

Lost in all the mania that Trump must be defeated at all costs and the haze of excitable polling, how many of her rampers are stopping to ask whether she’d be a good president? It’s quite a disastrous in-tray she’s inheriting. A structural deficit of ~7% going into what might be a fierce recession and market correction, a real rather than rhetorical Axis of Evil aligning their military industrial activities and attempting to unwind Western hegemony, and a less socially cohesive population in more than a century.

Rather lost in all of that is the question of whether she's a better candidate than a 78-year-old felon with a history of sexual assaults, a penchant for rigging courts, a disastrous record as a President and businessman and questions to answer about a failed coup.

Which it seems the American people so far think she might be.
    They might, but it'll be weirdly close. And it comes down to about 100k voters in Arizona, Georgia, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania, since we know the popular vote preferring her is not enough on its own.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,853
    moonshine said:

Down the rabbit hole you find a carefully curated “greatest hits” of gaffes and awkward moments.

A fair and balanced assessment is somewhat different. She’s better than mediocre. And a lot better than a convicted felon and wanna-be dictator like Trump
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Rather lost in all of that is the question of whether she's a better candidate than a 78-year-old felon with a history of sexual assaults, a penchant for rigging courts, a disastrous record as a President and businessman and questions to answer about a failed coup.

Everyone is clearly a better candidate than Donald Trump - Harris, Clinton, Hayley, Jeb Bush ... even Biden. It's perverse to talk about Harris' competence against the looming spectre of another Trump presidency.

• Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,708
    Jonathan said:

It's a shame that the Scots and Welsh don't agree to this. The GB curling team is represented by the Scots after all.
    None of the candidates for leadership of the Conservative Party are being sensible. I hope whoever gets selected is a little bit serious once in post. I don't think the Party realises just what a bad place it's in. It can definitely can go backwards in 2029, compared with the 2024 disaster.
    Just when you thought the Met’s reputation couldn’t go lower:

Lawrence suspect admitted to being paedophile
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw0ypn7z702o
    edited July 25
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Everyone is clearly a better candidate than Donald Trump - Harris, Clinton, Hayley, Jeb Bush ... even Biden. It's perverse to talk about Harris' competence against the looming spectre of another Trump presidency.

What she is, what she has always been, and what she will be as your next President, is Not Donald Trump.

And that is what makes Kamala Harris Acceptable Under the Circumstances.
    Yes but you like most here likely wouldn't vote Trump if the alternative was Pol Pot or Ghengis Khan (and like most here don't have a vote anyway).

It is how well she goes down with those 100,000 voters in Wisconsin etc that actually get to decide the election that matters, and we really don't know yet how they are viewing things, whatever the rampers on both sides say and wont for about six weeks until the dust settles, she gets on TV a lot and they start to firm up a view.
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

What she is, what she has always been, and what she will be as your next President, is Not Donald Trump.

I think that too obviously. Unfortunately not enough Americans likewise.
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

The problem with all that, is that I don’t think it easy to say Biden’s was an objectively superior presidency to Trump’s. Trump ballooned the deficit even prior to covid but Biden has taken it to new levels at a time of full employment.

You might say that were it not for Trump killing Soleimani, the Iranian nuclear deal may have held. Maybe but that’s not verifiable. Instead we live in a world where Iran has shut the suez, is flouting sanctions to arm our enemies and has fermented a catastrophic Middle Eastern conflict.

For all the column inches on Trump and Putin, it was under Obama and then Biden that Putin invaded Ukraine. Trump could arguably have done more after Salisbury, but credibly how could he given Europe’s position on Russia at the time?

Jan 6th is of course the key black mark against trump and for many understandably disqualifies him on its own. But even on matters of democracy, we can’t give this government a free pass given its insidious use of censorship, and puppet-like executive for goodness knows how long.

It’s hard to sensibly discuss these things because you get painted as a trump apologist, fascist or whatever else. But if your goal is prediction, it pays to consider whether a swing voter flips (or stays at home), because the idea of this government continuing feels in many ways less attractive to them than reverting to the one that preceded it. Kamala is the ultimate continuity candidate, given she would likely be a weak executive and keep the band more or less together.

Obama was dead right on this. It’s a change election and they should have looked elsewhere
    (so too should the GOP of course).

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464

Roger said:

(At approx 7.38)

Not often the Met get to play holier than thou these days. So he is making hay while the sun shines.
    Plus the Met has domain expertise on police racism, violence and criminality.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I think that too obviously. Unfortunately not enough Americans likewise.
    More that about 45% will vote for Donald Trump no matter what he does.

{Georges Ernest Boulanger has entered the chat}
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    This is grimly amusing:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/24/radcliffe-defends-decision-to-let-van-de-velde-compete-at-olympics

Paula Radcliffe apologises for wishing ‘good luck’ to convicted rapist at Olympics

I actually think it's wrong that someone should feel they have to apologise for giving what is a reasonable view.

What I find staggering is the sentence. From wiki:

The judge sentenced Van de Velde to four years' imprisonment and placed him on the Violent and Sex Offender Register for life. During his sentencing remarks, the judge stated, "Your hopes of representing your country [as an Olympic athlete] now lie as a shattered dream" and "He [Van de Velde] has lost a stellar sports career and has been branded a rapist. Plainly it is a career end for him".

He was sent back to the Netherlands and they let him out after a year. That seems incredibly lenient for what he did.
    Another week, another young female prison guard convicted of misconduct involving a sexual relationship with a prisoner.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/24/prison-guard-affair-with-armed-robber-spared-jail/

Why are men’s prisons still employing these young women in the first place?
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

His malignancy does.
    He can be. And he will be.
    Then, that's foolish and it will prove foolish.

There's some weird desire here to put the boot on the other foot and give Trump a taste of his own medicine.

It ignores his core political vulnerabilities, and that is why they will lose.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

His malignancy does.
    It wasn't an issue when he was up against Hillary either. He does hyperbole not senility.

Seriously, his opponents need to move on.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,077
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Acceptable under the circumstances only works if she beats Trump. Kamalasceptics on here are not necessarily sceptics because they prefer Trump, but because we fear that her numerous shortcomings which moonshine sets out may render her unable to beat Trump while a better candidate may have had a better chance had the Dems not closed ranks.
    But maybe there isn't a better candidate. Maybe they're all variously terrible.
    Sandpit said:

Another week, another young female prison guard convicted of misconduct involving a sexual relationship with a prisoner.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/24/prison-guard-affair-with-armed-robber-spared-jail/

Why are men’s prisons still employing these young women in the first place?

It’s hard to find the staff.

Something that is barely above minimum wage, you’re working below the ideal staff ratio.

Threats of violence etc.

Also as we’ve discussed before, a significant number of men cannot pass the (enhanced) DBS check.
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Acceptable under the circumstances only works if she beats Trump. Kamalasceptics on here are not necessarily sceptics because they prefer Trump, but because we fear that her numerous shortcomings which moonshine sets out may render her unable to beat Trump while a better candidate may have had a better chance had the Dems not closed ranks.
    It’s a very strange election in that really, the middle of America probably wants to move on from the psychodrama of 2016-2024. But neither nominees are change candidates. Makes it tricky to predict. Whitmer or Kelly would have won quite comfortably I think. As would Haley.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    DJT needs to win any four out of NV, AZ, WI, MI, PA and GA.

It's hard to see KH stopping that. On paper, she's got no fucking chance but she might able to save one of them with a shewd Veep pick.

Trump 47 will be a mega LOL, so at least we can enjoy that once the Centrist Dads get over being dickhurt.
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Remember that she was never, ever, appointed as Biden’s “Border Czar”.

https://x.com/drewholden360/status/1816247920477270428
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,254

Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Roger said:

Approx 7.38

Given they are firearms officers, in any other country in the world they would have shot anyone attacking them.
    In most countries, there's a fair chance the arrestee would also have been armed.
This discussion has been closed.