Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

London Rising – The Pentagon and the Election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,969

MattW said:

MattW said:

Queens Speech on Wednesday, with quite a lot in it by the look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckkgl37lp7no

I may have missed this, but will there still be a summer Recess, and how has that worked out date wise in former summer elections (eg June)?

King’s, Matt.
    MattW said:

King's (edit) Speech on Wednesday, with quite a lot in it by the look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckkgl37lp7no

I may have missed this, but will there still be a summer Recess, and how has that worked out date wise in former summer elections (eg June)?

I must be a traditionalist. Or allowing for the possibility of transition.

You got me before I edited. Now done.

(Edit)

Or verse-vica :smile: :

Deleted

Not quite quick enough on the delete.
    Apologies.
    In fairness to OKC he grew up calling it the King's Speech. It's easier to revert after a temporary anomaly than to learn something new.
    LOL
    I was at a High School and really starting to take an interest when King George died. Had to learn a new Scout Promise and National Anthem!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438
    pigeon said:

Time for a reminder of the mountain that the new Government has to climb to fulfil its house building targets. It's not just determined Nimby resistance and the question marks over the capacity of the construction industry to deliver. It's also the terrible game of financial Russian roulette that buyers of new builds have to play.

When Dayle Dixon and Mark Lee bought an attractive new house on the outskirts of Ivybridge in Devon in 2018, they believed it would be their forever home. But less than six years later it has been valued at just £1, and the couple are desperate to move out...

...the property, which they bought from the Barratt Developments subsidiary David Wilson Homes for £274,995, was valued last year by independent chartered surveyors at £1 after a catalogue of major defects emerged. The surveyors said that without the problems, it would have been worth £330,000...

...Since they moved in Dixon has had time signed off work suffering from stress and anxiety, which she blames on the problems.

“I have developed PTSD, suffer from nightmares and sweats and can’t function properly. A lot of the time I feel physically sick,” she says. “We are living in a house that is a complete mess.”

The chartered surveyors who last year valued the couple’s house at £1 listed numerous defects in their valuation report, including inadequate damp proofing, water ingress, inadequate floor screed (used to create an even floor surface), inadequate window design, and damaged and corroding structural floor beams.

The report stated: “The ground floor will have to be stripped back to shell stage, sections of structural walls and floors will have to be removed, and it is likely that further defects which will require repair will be identified as works progress.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/article/2024/jul/13/new-build-home-barratt-house

House builders destroy people's lives when they flog them grossly deficient properties which, for reasons known only unto God, aren't covered by the same consumer protections applied to other products. If you buy a dodgy kettle for a tenner from Tesco and it won't work properly you can take it back to the shop and demand a refund. If you spend half-a-million quid on a new house that turns out to be structurally unsound then all you can do is plead desperately, and with no guarantee of success, with the builder for their mistakes to be corrected. As a result, I would never even consider buying a new build and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Incidentally, for another one of David Wilson Homes' greatest hits, just search "David Wilson Homes Cambridge demolition." The best that can be said of that example is that the build quality was so bad that the properties concerned were never inflicted upon unsuspecting and very unlucky buyers.

That last one is a corker. A Darwin Award (Housebuilders' Category) for Darwin Green.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,772
    edited July 13
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

nico679 said:

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has ruled out changes to how the BBC is funded until at least 2027.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c047pmx47rno

But he couldn't change it anyway. The charter doesn't come up for renewal until 2027. What a weird story. If he was saying ruling out any changes post 2027, now that would be a story.

That’s true but the government’s attitude to the BBC is much more supportive compared to the Tories who have spent years attacking it .

The long term future of the BBC is on more solid ground after the general election.
    Yay to Labour, for their propping-up of what’s almost certainly the single most regressive tax of all, resulting in nearly 50,000 people per year, mostly women in single-adult households, receiving a criminal record for non-payment.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24050308.talktv-number-people-prosecuted-not-paying-tv-licence-revealed/
    "Almost certainly" assumption KLAXON !

:smile:
    Go on then, suggest a more regressive tax.
    Fuel duty.

Those well off enough to afford an EV can evade it completely, those who need to drive an old banger to their minimum wage job aren't so fortunate.
    The public transport enthusiasts on this forum will say that the poorest x% don’t go near a private car though, although I obviously agree with you on the substantive point that it costs a lot of money to be seen to be green.
    You know you've made your point when.... ;) it's not just binary car ownership, but the number of cars and the mileage driven a year.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    edited July 13
    Jasmine Paolini breaks in the second set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/live/c0ddm4pvn8nt
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,211
    pigeon said:

Time for a reminder of the mountain that the new Government has to climb to fulfil its house building targets. It's not just determined Nimby resistance and the question marks over the capacity of the construction industry to deliver. It's also the terrible game of financial Russian roulette that buyers of new builds have to play.

When Dayle Dixon and Mark Lee bought an attractive new house on the outskirts of Ivybridge in Devon in 2018, they believed it would be their forever home. But less than six years later it has been valued at just £1, and the couple are desperate to move out...

...the property, which they bought from the Barratt Developments subsidiary David Wilson Homes for £274,995, was valued last year by independent chartered surveyors at £1 after a catalogue of major defects emerged. The surveyors said that without the problems, it would have been worth £330,000...

...Since they moved in Dixon has had time signed off work suffering from stress and anxiety, which she blames on the problems.

“I have developed PTSD, suffer from nightmares and sweats and can’t function properly. A lot of the time I feel physically sick,” she says. “We are living in a house that is a complete mess.”

The chartered surveyors who last year valued the couple’s house at £1 listed numerous defects in their valuation report, including inadequate damp proofing, water ingress, inadequate floor screed (used to create an even floor surface), inadequate window design, and damaged and corroding structural floor beams.

The report stated: “The ground floor will have to be stripped back to shell stage, sections of structural walls and floors will have to be removed, and it is likely that further defects which will require repair will be identified as works progress.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/article/2024/jul/13/new-build-home-barratt-house

House builders destroy people's lives when they flog them grossly deficient properties which, for reasons known only unto God, aren't covered by the same consumer protections applied to other products. If you buy a dodgy kettle for a tenner from Tesco and it won't work properly you can take it back to the shop and demand a refund. If you spend half-a-million quid on a new house that turns out to be structurally unsound then all you can do is plead desperately, and with no guarantee of success, with the builder for their mistakes to be corrected. As a result, I would never even consider buying a new build and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Incidentally, for another one of David Wilson Homes' greatest hits, just search "David Wilson Homes Cambridge demolition." The best that can be said of that example is that the build quality was so bad that the properties concerned were never inflicted upon unsuspecting and very unlucky buyers.

I've been commenting on here for years about the low-quality of many new builds. Many are terrible, and cost a fortune. That story is exceptional, but not too exceptional.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,701
    France continues to disgust me, TBH

The “Venice of Provence”. L’isle-sur-La-Sorgues

Andy_JS said:

Saturday: nobody watches the BBC any more.

Sunday: 20 million people watch a football match live on the BBC.

You can also watch it on ITV.

If you want to jink the win...
    What everyone needs to do is watch on ITV and whenever it looks like Spain might score switch over to BBC to stop it happening.
    Don't know why you lot are getting so excited.

Especially as a tapir has predicted Spain will win.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2024/jul/12/an-ugly-dog-movie-star-and-a-tapir-predicts-the-euros-final-photos-of-the-day-friday
    Leon said:

Deplorable.

On a pedantic point Sorgue is singular, IIRC. (Given you are writing about it, and all.)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,003
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting that she lost the first set in the semi against Vekic 2-6, and then went on to win.

She lost the first set in the final 2-6...
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,961
    edited July 13
    Man arrested after human remains found in suitcases
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0xj9vlg763o

What a weird case. Clearly two people have been murdered, hacked into pieces and then somebody has loaded some of the body parts into suitcases, taken a train from London to Bristol, in a taxi and then intended to throw the suitcases off the suspension bridge...why the Clifton Suspension bridge?

Obviously not the sharpest tool as didn't realise there was meshing to stop people jumping made it very difficult to get the suitcases over the bridge, but also clearly didn't realise that the change in water level below is massive...not exactly ideal to dispose of things with hope of never been found. At low tide, there is very little water in the estuary below.
    edited July 13

Andy_JS said:

Interesting that she lost the first set in the semi against Vekic 2-6, and then went on to win.

She lost the first set in the final 2-6...
    One set all, now! Paolini wins the second set against Krejcikova.

What a weird case. Clearly two people have been murdered, hacked into pieces and then somebody has loaded some of the body parts into suitcases, taken a train from London to Bristol, in a taxi and then intended to throw the suitcases off the suspension bridge...why the Clifton Suspension bridge?

And some brave/mad cyclist chased him down and took the photo they police used to find him.
    Leon said:

Seems a long way to go to dispose of suitcases full of body parts.
    Eabhal said:

And some brave/mad cyclist chased him down and took the photo they police used to find him.
    Jeremy Vine gets everywhere.

pigeon said:

I've been commenting on here for years about the low-quality of many new builds. Many are terrible, and cost a fortune. That story is exceptional, but not too exceptional.
    The ones in my hometown suffer from surface flooding. They bulldozed a field to make it completely level (standard procedure) and *shocked Pikachu*.
    edited July 13

Obviously not the sharpest tool as didn't realise there was meshing to stop people jumping made it very difficult to get the suitcases over the bridge, but also clearly didn't realise that the change in water level below is massive...not exactly ideal to dispose of things with hope of never been found. At low tide, there is very little water in the estuary below.

They must have decided it was too risky dumping the suitcases in the Thames.
    Andy_JS said:

I can think of loads of better locations to do so than Clifton Suspension Bridge.
    edited July 13

Andy_JS said:

I can think of loads of better locations to do so than Clifton Suspension Bridge.
    Google: "famous bridges UK"

Lol number 1 is the Transporter Bridge! Then Clifton.
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

Google: "famous bridges UK"

Lol number 1 is the Transporter Bridge! Then Clifton.
    What is the villain version of the Keystones cops?
    edited July 13
    It must be hard for French holidaymakers coz if they go literally anywhere else it won’t be as beautiful or impressive. Maybe Italy is tolerable at a pinch

Tho the food will be better
  • glwglw Posts: 9,792
    Andy_JS said:

When that man who attacked his ex-partner as well her children with chemicals, and then he ended up in the Thames, there were lots of stories about how hard it is to find bodies, and how many bodies are never found. Which made it sound like the Thames is in fact a good place to dump a body.

Andy_JS said:

It was pointed out to me yesterday that the Clifton Suspension Bridge is pretty well suicide-proof nowadays, so throwing heavy cases over would probably be impossible..
    Paolini didn't challenge just now and she should have done.
    edited July 13

Andy_JS said:

It was pointed out to me yesterday that the Clifton Suspension Bridge is pretty well suicide-proof nowadays, so throwing heavy cases over would probably be impossible..
    That is exactly what happened. The guy couldn't get them over the anti-jumper mesh and some cyclist some him struggling and obviously thought they were up to no good and took photos of them.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Deplorable.

On a pedantic point Sorgue is singular, IIRC. (Given you are writing about it, and all.)
    You’re right. Singular!

Tho I’m not writing about it. I’m staying in a friend’s loaned house just to focus on finishing a flint. I’m nearly done. His village is a great place to work because it’s beautiful but really boring in a good way. There’s not much to do but stare at the gorgeous views - and then work. So I work

C’est nearly termine tho. Moving on from Monday…

I’ve now been travelling around France for about six weeks - Paris Brittany Provence. Only Paris looked sad

Everywhere else looks downright thriving compared to Blighty, except that one town in finistere. And even that was lovely - but chavvy and tense
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,452

Andy_JS said:

Apprarently Plan A was to throw the suitcases off the top of the London Eye.
    Leon said:

It must be hard for French holidaymakers coz if they go literally anywhere else it won’t be as beautiful or impressive. Maybe Italy is tolerable at a pinch

France is a beautiful country. I do wonder why the French then are always pissed off, striking, rioting, voting for extremists....as the kids say, go out and touch grass.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,969
    Eabhal said:

pigeon said:

The ones in my hometown suffer from surface flooding. They bulldozed a field to make it completely level (standard procedure) and *shocked Pikachu*.
    In Abingdon, a local(ish) house builder proposed building an elevated roadway (sort of snaking around the site, with the houses elevated on pillars off it. The design was similar to some existing houses near the river.

The idea was that when the area flooded, as it does every decade or so, water could flow around as it always does - your garden would get a bit damp, but your services, access etc would be fine.

The design was rejected because it would have impacted local property values. The clowns at the council thought that such building “implied the area flooded”.

Andy_JS said:

That is exactly what happened. The guy couldn't get them over the anti-jumper mesh and some cyclist some him struggling and obviously thought they were up to no good and took photos of them.
    As I said the other day - evidence of poor training and skills. And/or a commentary on the lack of left luggage offices at railway stations - which used to be favoured for this kind of thing, IIRC.
  • The Israeli Government at this point are evil.

Bombing a humanitarian zone, killing 71 innocent people.

Leon said:

France is a beautiful country. I do wonder why the French then are always pissed off, striking, rioting, voting for extremists....as the kids say, go out and touch grass.
    Yes, I stand by my conservative theory. The French vote for the RN BECAUSE most of France is beautiful and they want to keep it that way. They know they are lucky. So it’s essentially a conservative vote, not a radical vote

The people who vote for melenchon I just don’t understand at all!
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,336

The Israeli Government at this point are evil.

Hamas should not be hiding in a humanitarian zone.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Every day that Biden manages to get through without a major embarrassment seems to be taken as an excuse for the Democrats to stick their heads back into the sand.

They are starting to make the Tory Party look competent.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, I stand by my conservative theory. The French vote for the RN BECAUSE most of France is beautiful and they want to keep it that way. They know they are lucky. So it’s essentially a conservative vote, not a radical vote

In a sense the people who vote for Melenchon are unironically the real fascists because they want to overthrow the Anglo-American capitalist world order and restore France to its rightful place as a global civilisational power.
    No 31 seed wins against no 7 seed.

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

A phrase that most of us hoped had gone out of style in the 13th century.

Leon said:

Leon said:

In a sense the people who vote for Melenchon are unironically the real fascists because they want to overthrow the Anglo-American capitalist world order and restore France to its rightful place as a global civilisational power.
    Do they? I thought he was just some corbynite Jew hating Marxist? Is he a nationalist as well?!
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,687

I agree with both statements
    Chris said:

Every day that Biden manages to get through without a major embarrassment seems to be taken as an excuse for the Democrats to stick their heads back into the sand.

Yep. Exactement

I was convinced he’s finished. Gone in a fortnight

Yet now I wonder. The democrats have intention tremor. It’s like killing Dad. They just can’t do it

And they will cherry pick polls and pretend it’s gonna be ok and disaster will ensue

Or maybe it will all be fine or maybe he will actually resign. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
    edited July 13
    Chris said:

He malfunctioned again last night. Albeit a minor one.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,494
    Leon said:

Deprived of a gloopy sauce, diners can judge the quality of what lies beneath.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Do they? I thought he was just some corbynite Jew hating Marxist? Is he a nationalist as well?!
    Very much so. He regularly complains about the EU flag and says things like, "France is global, not European."
    "How the liberal elite turned on Joe Biden
    The President will stand aside, but the media have made an exhibition of their irrelevance.
    By Lee Siegel
    .................................................................................................................................................................
    Biden will step aside; the calls for him to do so from other Democrats and from wealthy donors make that a fait accompli. But that will happen not because of pressure from the media or from Hollywood. It will be accomplished by good old-fashioned political elites, namely by powerful Democrats in the Senate. Chuck Schumer and others will pay a visit to Biden, tell him that either he steps aside or they humiliate him by holding a press conference calling on him to step aside, and, angry, bewildered and dazed, Biden will do so. The new reality of the American media, however, will have been revealed. It has no claws, or teeth. It is strictly in the business, as both Biden and Trump are, of hanging on."

https://www.newstatesman.com/the-weekend-essay/2024/07/how-the-liberal-elite-turned-on-joe-biden
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,139
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very much so. He regularly complains about the EU flag and says things like, "France is global, not European."
    Sounds like a Brexiter.
    Is that fascism now?
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,869
    Going through Star Trek: The Next Generation with my 12 year old daughter.

We reached 'Best of Both Worlds' this afternoon. After S3 episode 26, she just tapped 'next episode' and I laughed. Told her in the summer of 1990 the people in the United States had to wait three months to do what she just did in three seconds.

(We in Blighty only waited a week as well - in fact the BBC fouled that up - they bought the first three seasons, without realising S3E26 was a cliffhanger and had to buy S4E1 as a one off transaction).

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sounds like a Brexiter.
    Is that fascism now?
    The context is different.

The original fascists had similar complaints about Anglo-led capitalism subverting their national destiny.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,439

Going through Star Trek: The Next Generation with my 12 year old daughter.

We reached 'Best of Both Worlds' this afternoon. After S3 episode 26, she just tapped 'next episode' and I laughed. Told her in the summer of 1990 the people in the United States had to wait three months to do what she just did in three seconds.

(We in Blighty only waited a week as well - in fact the BBC fouled that up - they bought the first three seasons, without realising S3E26 was a cliffhanger and had to buy S4E1 as a one off transaction).

If only they hadn't had so many episodes of teenage kid saves the day.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,349

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sounds like a Brexiter.
    Is that fascism now?
    Only when other countries do it, the scoundrels.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sounds like a Brexiter.
    Is that fascism now?

The original fascists had similar complaints about Anglo-led capitalism subverting their national destiny.
    Correct. This is Scramble-for-Africa empire envy.

Chris said:

Oh, I see:
    https://www.gbnews.com/politics/us/joe-biden-gaffe-democrat-donors-threat-withhold-funds

Well, I did say 'major'.
    Leon said:

Chris said:

Yep. Exactement

Yet now I wonder. The democrats have intention tremor. It’s like killing Dad. They just can’t do it

And they will cherry pick polls and pretend it’s gonna be ok and disaster will ensue

He's gone, no doubt about it. Just when. It currently looks likely he'll hang on until he has to hand over the keys to Trump. It's almost impossible to imagine that he'll get to be the next President. The territory somewhere in between is what's interesting.

Unfortunately Biden is a bit of a plank, so we'll just get Trump.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chris said:

Yep. Exactement

He's gone, no doubt about it. Just when. It currently looks likely he'll hang on until he has to hand over the keys to Trump. It's almost impossible to imagine that he'll get to be the next President. The territory somewhere in between is what's interesting.

If they are smart, they will install America's frst female President this week - and put Trump's Convention completely in the shade.

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chris said:

Yep. Exactement

If they are smart, they will install America's frst female President this week - and put Trump's Convention completely in the shade.
    I agree entirely. And 'they' are smart, but it's Biden just clogging the obvious flow.
    "Why so few men take up the pen
    With publishing now such a female-dominated industry, it’s no surprise that there are so few men writing fiction
    By Paul Burke"

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/july-2024/why-so-few-men-take-up-the-pen/
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,850
    Andy_JS said:

The President will stand aside, but the media have made an exhibition of their irrelevance.
    By Lee Siegel
    .................................................................................................................................................................
    Biden will step aside; the calls for him to do so from other Democrats and from wealthy donors make that a fait accompli. But that will happen not because of pressure from the media or from Hollywood. It will be accomplished by good old-fashioned political elites, namely by powerful Democrats in the Senate. Chuck Schumer and others will pay a visit to Biden, tell him that either he steps aside or they humiliate him by holding a press conference calling on him to step aside, and, angry, bewildered and dazed, Biden will do so. The new reality of the American media, however, will have been revealed. It has no claws, or teeth. It is strictly in the business, as both Biden and Trump are, of hanging on."

https://www.newstatesman.com/the-weekend-essay/2024/07/how-the-liberal-elite-turned-on-joe-biden

God himself couldn’t get Biden to withdraw from the race . I fear we’re stuck with him .
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

By Lee Siegel

God himself couldn’t get Biden to withdraw from the race . I fear we’re stuck with him .
    There has to be a pretty big chance he'll just keel over with all this pressure. He clearly has dementia issues, but his physically frailty is even clearer. Every move he makes you can see him calculating the risks of a nose-dive.

As I said already he's gone, just yet to announce when.
    edited July 13
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Oh, I see:
    https://www.gbnews.com/politics/us/joe-biden-gaffe-democrat-donors-threat-withhold-funds
    My fault for believing the BBC headline "Biden avoids further gaffes at Detroit rally". I should know better by now.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116
    PJH said:

PJH said:

glw said:

Saturday: nobody watches the BBC any more.

Sunday: 20 million people watch a football match live on the BBC.

Well if you want some numbers, under 30s watch about 35 minutes of live TV and the over 75s watch 8 times as much. Viewing by young people halved between 2017 and 2022. This is a path that in any other industry would result in top-to-bottom restructuring, it's an existential issue for the BBC. Carrying on doing the same old thing will end the BBC.
    I'm hardly under 30 but in fact this month is I think the first time I've watched live TV this year, a combination of the election results and football.

I would watch cricket, which would bump my hours up if there was any.
    Forgot about the Six Nations - saw a couple of them too.
    THE Sport of the Six Nations (aka Iroquois Confederacy) is Lacrosse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Nations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse

Eabhal said:

pigeon said:

In Abingdon, a local(ish) house builder proposed building an elevated roadway (sort of snaking around the site, with the houses elevated on pillars off it. The design was similar to some existing houses near the river.

The idea was that when the area flooded, as it does every decade or so, water could flow around as it always does - your garden would get a bit damp, but your services, access etc would be fine.

The design was rejected because it would have impacted local property values. The clowns at the council thought that such building “implied the area flooded”.
    Are you syre the reason wasn't because it would *divert* the waters onto the neighbours?
    Andy_JS said:

No 31 seed wins against no 7 seed.

Good match! Krejcikova makes it back to back Czech winners of the Ladies' Championship at Wimbledon.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,164
    Andy_JS said:

With publishing now such a female-dominated industry, it’s no surprise that there are so few men writing fiction
    By Paul Burke"

It starts with reading.

Just look at the 11-16 section in Waterstones.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 947

Leon said:

You don't appreciate what you have when you are used to it.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,958

Eabhal said:

pigeon said:

Could you provide a reference for this; I'm extremely interested.
    I can't find anything in a quick search, and planning guidelines are explicit that impact on property values cannot be used to reject a submission (and if someone tried to do so, would be routinely overturned at appeal).

Flooding in Abingdon (and Steventon and Milton) are very much live issues at the moment and proposals to deal with this are of great interest and if an earlier administration in the District Council managed to quash useful designs, I'd like to look at them to see if they could be resurrected.
    edited July 13
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

I think that's right, but fair's fair and the US and France should give us back our lands asap. If pressed we could find a spot for Biden in Highgate. and no doubt some sort of minor honour for Macron. An easy deal surely!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,837
    Some of our number may be interested in this thread:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/which-year-will-the-uk-go-cashless.270522/
    edited July 13
    British interest in the Gents' Doubles Final!

Henry Patten plays alongside Finland's Harri Heliovaara against Aussies Max Purcell and Jordan Thompson.

2-2 so far in the first set.
    Andy_JS said:

By Paul Burke"

Wading through shelves of dross with pastel coloured spines and the title in a curly font to find something that may be worth reading can be a trifle frustrating.
    edited July 13

Henry Patten plays alongside Finland's Harri Heliovaara against Aussies Max Purcell and Jordan Thompson.

An Essex resident, my wife thinks. There was something about him on the local news the other day.

Edit; comes from Colchester. Local lad.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 58,992
    edited July 13

Just checked the LD website.

All their MP’s, bar one, are white.

Which is a bit embarrassing for the socks&sandals brigade.

All the Greens are, aren't they. Must admit I hadn't noticed.
    I have. Greeny and Libdemmery is what very posh English white people do when they're well-off and want to show they have a conscience.

Just look at XR or JSO. Totally 100% that type.
    I'm not 'posh'! Educated.maybe, light Essex accent, but not posh!
    I'm serious. It's all class.

Labour? God, no. Too working class, blue collar, maybe a bit shopfloorly or street violent and sweary. Oiks. Plus, they might be serious about this red flag and socialism stuff and come right after you. Scary.

Tories? Erugh, no. Far too suburban and Daily Mail. Lower middle class to middle middle class people who are uppity, lack any sort of taste, won't stay in their place, react, and lack sophistication. Bourgeois. Erugh erugh erugh.

So, they look down on both. They vote Lib Dem. Or Green. Not really serious but vaguely soft-lefty, unthreatening and socially acceptable to their peer group. Says the right things about them.

Some will vote Tory in the privacy of the voting booth if they're really worried about their assets and wealth. But they'll do it quietly and won't tell a soul.
    They're not the really really posh of the old school though. Those people are usually red in tooth and claw Tories and fiercely patriotic - the sort whose cartridge bags and plus fours are proudly made in England. Posh lib dems are an arriviste Heseltine 'buys their own furniture' type of posh. Perhaps their discomfort within the class system is at the root of their desire to swap the old establishment for something more French.
    Correct. It's not landed posh (they're almost all Tory) it's upper middle class who have a lot of money, probably a generation or two in from starting businesses beforehand. They now have a real distaste about their origins, and want to disassociate themselves from it.

Subtle difference.
    This is utter bollocks.
    You have an incredibly distorted view of your fellow Britons.

Hilariously tetchy post.

I have. Greeny and Libdemmery is what very posh English white people do when they're well-off and want to show they have a conscience.

Labour? God, no. Too working class, blue collar, maybe a bit shopfloorly or street violent and sweary. Oiks. Plus, they might be serious about this red flag and socialism stuff and come right after you. Scary.

Tories? Erugh, no. Far too suburban and Daily Mail. Lower middle class to middle middle class people who are uppity, lack any sort of taste, won't stay in their place, react, and lack sophistication. Bourgeois. Erugh erugh erugh.

So, they look down on both. They vote Lib Dem. Or Green. Not really serious but vaguely soft-lefty, unthreatening and socially acceptable to their peer group. Says the right things about them.

Some will vote Tory in the privacy of the voting booth if they're really worried about their assets and wealth. But they'll do it quietly and won't tell a soul.
    They're not the really really posh of the old school though. Those people are usually red in tooth and claw Tories and fiercely patriotic - the sort whose cartridge bags and plus fours are proudly made in England. Posh lib dems are an arriviste Heseltine 'buys their own furniture' type of posh. Perhaps their discomfort within the class system is at the root of their desire to swap the old establishment for something more French.
    Correct. It's not landed posh (they're almost all Tory) it's upper middle class who have a lot of money, probably a generation or two in from starting businesses beforehand. They now have a real distaste about their origins, and want to disassociate themselves from it.

Subtle difference.
    This is utter bollocks.

Hilariously tetchy post.

The only one who talks bollocks on here is YOU.
    The only one?????

You must have spewed four-letter words at half the people here!
    Chris said:

Subtle difference.
    This is utter bollocks.

Hilariously tetchy post.

The only one?????

If they piss me off, yes.

So don't piss me off.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sounds like a Brexiter.
    Is that fascism now?

Correct. This is Scramble-for-Africa empire envy.

There has always been a layer of hard cultural nationalism in French politics. Makes the Kipling & Tennyson fan club seem mild.

A friend moved to France and, seeing some posters, when to an anti-McDonalds rally. Only to find it full of blood-and-soil types.
    If the Tories don't crack on with their leadership election over the summer, everyone will have forgotten that they exist by the autumn.

What do they gain by delaying? The same handful of candidates will be installing phone lines, whether next week or in October.

Eabhal said:

pigeon said:

I can't find anything in a quick search, and planning guidelines are explicit that impact on property values cannot be used to reject a submission (and if someone tried to do so, would be routinely overturned at appeal).

Flooding in Abingdon (and Steventon and Milton) are very much live issues at the moment and proposals to deal with this are of great interest and if an earlier administration in the District Council managed to quash useful designs, I'd like to look at them to see if they could be resurrected.
    I’d have to dig to find it. IIRC they officially rejected it for other reasons but the sentiment was expressed in public by council officials.

Chris said:

Subtle difference.
    This is utter bollocks.

Hilariously tetchy post.

The only one?????

If they piss me off, yes.

So don't piss me off.
    Hard not to shudder in fear when such threats are made.
    Omnium said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

I think that's right, but fair's fair and the US and France should give us back our lands asap. If pressed we could find a spot for Biden in Highgate. and no doubt some sort of minor honour for Macron. An easy deal surely!
    Biden wouldn't even notice the difference!
    So I guess Biden is staying then? His handlers are handling him very tightly.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,842
    edited July 13
    ProRata and Andy_JS - In the US -- and, I suspect, the UK --rather few books are being published that might appeal to boys. And that shortage is in spite of the astonishing success of the Harry Potter books.

Or the past success of series like Tom Swift, and the Hardy Boys.

Or, the "juveniles", as they were called then, written by Robert Heinlein, for example, "Farmer in the Sky", "The Rolling Stones", "Citizen of the Galaxy", and "The Star Beast".

Or the books written by Andre Norton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Norton

No doubt those familiar with books in the UK can think of other examples.

But here is a point that fascinates me: In the US, publishers, and some authors, are giving up a lot of money, rather than write for boys.

Eabhal said:

pigeon said:

There's a new development outside Launceston called Kensey Valley Meadow. The Kensey is a river which flows into the Tamar half a mile on. There is a multi acre sewage works at the confluence. I never drive past the road sign without thinking You were warned.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,038
    Nunu5 said:

I can't see how he can. The endgame still looks like Harris to me, but it looks increasingly messy getting there.

What I don't really understand is that there aren't enough people close to Biden who recognise that they are handing the Presidency to Trump on a plate right now.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,573
    Afternoon all :)

Rather late to the party but thanks for the kind words from this morning.

London is complex politically and if anything more so after the events of July 4th. Some raised the issue of the salience of the Gaza question and its influence on UK politics in the future. That's an imponderbale - in Newham, the "cause" has been led by Corbynite Momentum types thrown out of Labour who have picked up and run with the anger in the Muslim community.

To be fair, Newham Independents aren't a one trick pony as Respect were - they are hugely critical of Newham Council (with plenty of justification) and have tapped into a rich vein of dissatisfaction about the Council has been run by Roksana Fiaz, the Mayor. Under the previous incumbent, Sir Robin Wales, Newham was scoring well on a numbe rof measures but there has been a notable decline under Fiaz who, inevitably, blames central Government.

As to how this will play in 2026 at the next local elections, I've no clue.

On Merton, it's a huge task for the LDs to take control but I could see it analogous to how Southwark was in the 80s and 90s when Simon Hughes was a local MP. The LDs controlled all the Wards in Hughes's constituency up by the river but Labour controlled the centre of the Borough around Peckham, East Dulwich and Nunhead and the Conservatives had the very south of the Borough around Dulwich Village until finally thrown off the council in 2018. Over a number of electiosn from the mid-80s, the LDs built up their council base and became largest party in 2002 (30-28) but slipped back to 28-28 in 2006 and by 2022 it was back to 11-52 with Labour in complete control.

As for Merton, It's likely the LDs will control all the Wards in Wimbledon constituency and will pretty much push the Conservatives out of those areas. The marginal Wards of Abbey and Wandle will be fascinating but Labour have the stronghold of the east of the Borough which gives them 27 seats. The Merton Park Residents have their two so the LDs probably have a maximum of 27 as well with a lot depending on whether the Conservatives can do anything in Lower Morden. It's less a question of taking control in their own right than taking enough seats to deprive Labour of their majority.
    Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.
    maxh said:

Nunu5 said:

I can't see how he can. The endgame still looks like Harris to me, but it looks increasingly messy getting there.

What I don't really understand is that there aren't enough people close to Biden who recognise that they are handing the Presidency to Trump on a plate right now.
    Greed (for reflected glory) and fear (of being struck down with great vengeance and furious anger after a botched coup) explain most of it

An Essex resident, my wife thinks. There was something about him on the local news the other day.

Edit; comes from Colchester. Local lad.
    Ooops, the Aussies take the first set on the tie-break.
    maxh said:

Nunu5 said:

Consider the people who backed our recent run of prime ministers.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. We have previously commented on the near delusional self belief in many top politicians - this probably extends to their immediate supporters.

It’s worth considering, as well, that those close to Biden will be swept away if Harris becomes President. The first thing she will do is bring in her own people. So you are asking people to take the 50/50 possibility of losing theirs jobs and power and turn it into a 100% certainty.

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.
    Well, you could 25th him.

But that would result in a massive crisis. 52 card pickup electorally. Could lose the election then and there.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,376

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.
    His handlers put a little extra in his tea for the Detroit rally I think.

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

But that would result in a massive crisis. 52 card pickup electorally. Could lose the election then and there.
    Just withdraw support. Refuse to get him dressed in the morning, write the autocue for him, etc
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,016

ProRata and Andy_JS - In the US -- and, I suspect, the UK --rather few books are being published that might appeal to boys. And that shortage is in spite of the astonishing success of the Harry Potter books.

Or the past success of series like Tom Swift, and the Hardy Boys.

Or, the "juveniles", as they were called then, written by Robert Heinlein, for example, "Farmer in the Sky", "The Rolling Stones", "Citizen of the Galaxy", and "The Star Beast".

Or the books written by Andre Norton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Norton

No doubt those familiar with books in the UK can think of other examples.

But here is a point that fascinates me: In the US, publishers, and some authors, are giving up a lot of money, rather than write for boys.

There are quite a lot of books being published in the juvenile spy genre. The Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz and the Young James Bond books by Charlie Higson. There are also a lot of book series that are for both sexes but which have male protagonists from both the UK and US - The Gone series by Michael Grant, Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer and the Young Sherlock Holmes series by Andrew Lane. I have a 16 year old son and he has had no trouble finding plenty to read although he has now moved ontyo more adult books.

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

Section 4 has never been invoked.

It'd be a hell of a gamble.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980
    I’m definitely not in an Irish pub, watching Ireland beat the Saffers with a last-minute drop goal…

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

Just withdraw support. Refuse to get him dressed in the morning, write the autocue for him, etc
    The people round him are either Whitehouse staff (permanent) whose religion is quietly supporting any President.

Or they are his political appointees - who live or die by him. They will be out of their jobs 5 seconds after Biden goes.

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

It would. Note that the president is automatically displaced and has to fight his way back by persuading one third of Congress that he is competent to resume office. Big ask.
    https://x.com/BBCNews/status/1811340697867305147

The SNPs Scotland. A man who rapes a 10 year old girl jailed for only 7, years. Oh and by the way he has two other similar offences for which
    edited July 13

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

Nunu5 said:

He can't be made to go.

And the MAGA types on the Supreme Court would love to pronounce it unconstitutional if used by Democrats, I’m sure.
    maxh said:

Nunu5 said:

They don't seem to care. They just see it as the best avenue to keep hold of power. His wife is evil.

If the Tories don't crack on with their leadership election over the summer, everyone will have forgotten that they exist by the autumn.

What do they gain by delaying? The same handful of candidates will be installing phone lines, whether next week or in October.

"everyone will have forgotten that they exist by the autumn"

This is the same Conservative Party that was going to be reduced to zero seats? Or replaced as the Official Opposition?

Leave it out...
    Sandpit said:

I’m definitely not in an Irish pub, watching Ireland beat the Saffers with a last-minute drop goal…

Good. That would be a terribly messy place to be if you were....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980

"everyone will have forgotten that they exist by the autumn"

This is the same Conservative Party that was going to be reduced to zero seats? Or replaced as the Official Opposition?

Leave it out...
    They were definitely never ending up on zero seats!
This discussion has been closed.