Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Political betting dominates the news – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307

HYUFD said:

'Winston Churchill’s great nephew backs Reform UK

Duke of Marlborough hails his ‘friend’ Nigel Farage as only person who can stop UK from being dragged into war

Speaking at Royal Ascot on Thursday, the Duke of Marlborough hailed Nigel Farage and said he “could end up in the same league” as Britain’s wartime prime minister.

The Duke, who is also known as Jamie Blandford or Jamie Churchill, attended the horse racing festival with a turquoise Reform rosette on the inside of his morning coat.'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/20/winston-churchills-great-nephew-backs-reform-uk/

War with whom and why would Nigel prevent it?
    Macron has spoken recently about sending troops to Ukraine. The question may come up fairly soon about whether we want to be part of it.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20240502-macron-doesn-t-rule-out-troops-for-ukraine-if-russia-breaks-front-lines
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,720

HYUFD said:

Duke of Marlborough hails his ‘friend’ Nigel Farage as only person who can stop UK from being dragged into war

Speaking at Royal Ascot on Thursday, the Duke of Marlborough hailed Nigel Farage and said he “could end up in the same league” as Britain’s wartime prime minister.

The Duke, who is also known as Jamie Blandford or Jamie Churchill, attended the horse racing festival with a turquoise Reform rosette on the inside of his morning coat.'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/20/winston-churchills-great-nephew-backs-reform-uk/

And several grams of Charlie in his system. Allegedly.
    Said the logician pedagogue.

LOL
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,554
    SMukesh said:

Rishi really good in the debate. Probably too late in the day to save them but if he keeps this new passionate self up in the coming days, could save them a few seats.

Starmer, seriously! Is he deliberately trying to be as boring as humanly possible?

Squeeze Reform and the LDs, get other polls to push Labour down to Yougov levels and you could get something like Labour 36%, Tories 27%, Reform 13%, LDs 10% ie closer to a Brown 2010 defeat for Rishi than Major 1997.

Result - Tories over 200 seats again and Labour majority down to about 50
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,376
    pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

The two things voters will remember most from this campaign: 1. Sunak leaving D-Day celebrations early. 2. Tories betting on the election date.

You couldn’t have designed a worse backdrop.

Honourable mention also for Ed Davey falling into Lake Windermere.

I can't remember anything that Sir Keir has done, but that's probably how he likes it. The Ming Vase has made it another 50 yards along Downing Street unscathed.
    The real problem is that the vase is empty.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,014
    Ok maybe life in Britain isn’t SO bad

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,390

Jonathan said:

darkage said:

This election is getting me worried about the future of democracy. It seems likely that Labour will get a disproportionate majority which is a serious distortion of their share of the vote. The 'right' on the other hand will be severely underrepresented in Parliament relative to their eventual share of the vote (probably circa 40%). The driving force for Labour in power will be passing legislation they want, which they will effectively be able to do with no opposition. I suppose this is the 'supermajority' fear that the conservatives are trying to play to , but it seems to me like a big danger for democracy, because the position of the party in power will not be seen as legitimate.

The 2019 result was disproportionate as were many others. It’s a feature of non proportional representation systems. The trick is to disapprove when it favours your side.
    Sorry but we could be looking at a result that is a whole different scale to anything we have seen before. Wasn't there a poll suggesting over 500 Labour MPs with less than 40% of the vote? And possibly with the Lib Dems as the official opposition?
    Maths tells only part of the story. Our system is to have 650 local by-elections on the same day, with the person who gets the most votes being the winner - as we all know. For one (moderate, centrist, sane) party to come top in 500 out of 650 of these elections is an astonishing achievement and is not a statistical freak; and in our system the moment this is done (if it is - it probably won't) they are not there to please themselves but to please us if they wish to stay there.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,003
    algarkirk said:

Pulpstar said:

9 minutes past the solstice. Start of astronomical summer 🌞🌞

So the nights are drawing in. Wonderful.
    You have to bank the plusses that you can. On 21st December I tell myself it's all getting better for the next 6 months. Great. On 21st June I tell myself that summer is not over till at least well into September and there is 3 months to go. And then, I say, autumn is often the best of all. And then it's December again. Snowdrops...and so it goes on.
    Autumn is far from "Best of all". Drizzle, winter jackets taken out of the wardrobe to be used every day for the next 5 months, humidity jumps through the roof, central heating turned on. No more evenings outside at the pub ... and term starts again. The only savng grace is colourful leaves and it not being as cold as January!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,424

HYUFD said:

Macron has spoken recently about sending troops to Ukraine. The question may come up fairly soon about whether we want to be part of it.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20240502-macron-doesn-t-rule-out-troops-for-ukraine-if-russia-breaks-front-lines
    But PM Nigel would have no part of it. What makes him so sure of that?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,660
    HYUFD said:

SMukesh said:

Rishi really good in the debate. Probably too late in the day to save them but if he keeps this new passionate self up in the coming days, could save them a few seats.

Starmer, seriously! Is he deliberately trying to be as boring as humanly possible?

Squeeze Reform and the LDs, get other polls to push Labour down to Yougov levels and you could get something like Labour 36%, Tories 27%, Reform 13%, LDs 10% ie closer to a Brown 2010 defeat for Rishi than Major 1997.

It`s possible but needs a few things to go the Tories` way in the next 13 days. Recently that`s not been the case and everything that can go wrong has gone wrong for them.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,380
    Why do we care what a distant relation to Churchill thinks?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,003

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Actually, sunset continues to get a smidgin later for a few days more, yet.
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Correct. Latest sunset is 24th or 25th.
    And at this time of year no one really cares if it get light a few minutes later in the morning.
  • Options
    The cut throw with people i know, Sunak not having Sky.
  • Options

He has breeding.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307

HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting that he could be forced into it against his will somehow by the people who really run the country?
  • Options
    edited June 20
    Leon said:

Britain in mid June-July is the centre of much of the cultured, sporting and wealthy universe, sun is out more often, Royal Ascot, Wimbledon, British GP, British Open, Henley regatta, Glyndebourne (oh and a general election too this year I suppose)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,720
    eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

Pulpstar said:

You have to bank the plusses that you can. On 21st December I tell myself it's all getting better for the next 6 months. Great. On 21st June I tell myself that summer is not over till at least well into September and there is 3 months to go. And then, I say, autumn is often the best of all. And then it's December again. Snowdrops...and so it goes on.
    Autumn is far from "Best of all". Drizzle, winter jackets taken out of the wardrobe to be used every day for the next 5 months, humidity jumps through the roof, central heating turned on. No more evenings outside at the pub ... and term starts again. The only savng grace is colourful leaves and it not being as cold as January!
    Autumn is a good season for stargazing, in that the night sky is darker, but it's not yet so cold that you don't want to spend a lot of time out in the dark.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,283

He has breeding.
    He is displayed at Crufts? The things one learns on PB.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 509
    Leon said:

Personal request

There's a little caravan on Custom House Quay in Falmouth knocking out river Fal oysters at 4 for a tenner. It's important for my wellbeing that this place stays in business, so please patronise it. That is all.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting that he could be forced into it against his will somehow by the people who really run the country?
    No, I'm asking why he's so sure that Nigel wouldn't commit troops to help defend Ukraine.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,871
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Correct. Latest sunset is 24th or 25th.
    And at this time of year no one really cares if it get light a few minutes later in the morning.
    I have a cat that believes the household should rise at dawn. Dawn coming a few minutes later is good news.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,030
    HYUFD said:

SMukesh said:

Bish bash bosh, job done. Nice one Rishi
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,810
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Does the Duke have dementia . What an insult to Churchill to even place Farage in the same company .
    "Winston Churchill’s great nephew"

A qualification which could impress only those already credulous enough to fall for Farage's patter.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,127

HYUFD said:

No, I'm asking why he's so sure that Nigel wouldn't commit troops to help defend Ukraine.
    Nigel would commit troops, but since he so admires Putin can we be sure which side he would commit them to?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,497
    Nigelb said:

darkage said:

I must correct the characterisation that I am on 'the right'. I have said several times that I am voting for Labour. I have however made a prediction that the next political movement in the UK will be on what people describe as the 'far right'. This is not something I want to happen, I just think it will, because of the likely failure of 'centrism' to take in to account opposing views on matters like immigration and cultural issues, views which a lot of people hold. This, and the fact of 'reactive dynamics', together with other global political shifts, mean that it seems very likely to me that people will start to look to the 'far right' for answers, as the 'left' has run out of road. The concern expressed in the last comment was that, if we have a situation where 40% of people vote for right wing parties, and these positions are barely represented in Parliament, then the situation starts to become worrying for democracy. The reaction to this point is quite revealing, it is just something that people have to just 'suck up'...

I have said before that the best model for dealing with the 'far right' is what has happened in Finland for the last 20 years, the people involved are bought in to the system, and it is somehow made to work.

When I was criticising the right for pushing the idea that the next Labour government would be illegitimate because of its super-massive majority, I was not necessarily including you in that (it can be hard to keep track of every poster's political position), but more commenting on the many interventions to that effect from Conservative politicians and commentators.
    'Illegitimate' is a very poor choice of words - and it's beyond rich for the Tories to criticise a system which has benefitted them for so long, as soon as its effects turn against them.

But the criticism of FPTP is entirely correct.
    It's better than no democracy at all, but it's a half arsed, often unfair version of democracy.
    Any for of electoral system that makes it explicitely about the parties is worse than what we have now. At least here we make an effort to say it is about the individual candidates and some of us still vote on that basis. Most PR systems give more power to the parties at a time when we should be doing the exact oposite and trying to reduce the power of parties in our democracy.

I would have been extremely happy if AV had won out but of course the Lib Dems had a tantrum over it.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,540
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Does the Duke have dementia . What an insult to Churchill to even place Farage in the same company .
    "Winston Churchill’s ex-convict, disinherited great nephew"

A qualification which could impress only those already credulous enough to fall for Farage's patter.
    FIFY
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,029
    Leon said:

The ancient British pastime of watching children collect turds from the waters edge on solstice day? Marvellous to see it’s been kept up…
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

This election is getting me worried about the future of democracy. It seems likely that Labour will get a disproportionate majority which is a serious distortion of their share of the vote. The 'right' on the other hand will be severely underrepresented in Parliament relative to their eventual share of the vote (probably circa 40%). The driving force for Labour in power will be passing legislation they want, which they will effectively be able to do with no opposition. I suppose this is the 'supermajority' fear that the conservatives are trying to play to , but it seems to me like a big danger for democracy, because the position of the party in power will not be seen as legitimate.

I don't get this argument. I mean I don't want any sort of Labour majority but I recognise there will be one.

And if that majority is 100 or 300, what difference does it make? Starmer will be in exactly the position Blair, Thatcher and many other PMs before them have been in. With a majority large enough that they can enact whatever laws they see fit but always with a weather eye to the next election. They won so they get to run things. Personally I find this preferable to the situation May or even Johnson with his 80 seat majority found themselves in where there is a significant clique within their own party who are able to undermine what the PM and the Cabinet want to do and cause chaos.

I am sure I am gouing to hate much of what Starmer wants to do but that is democracy. He still has to take the vast majority of his party with him which is a moderating factor on his actions. He does not ahve absolute power - if you think he does then see what would happen if he proposed banning pets or compulsory pole dancing for grannies.

What I do think is that the Lords becomes very important as an amending/checking chamber. One of the problems of the last decade has been too many acts that have not been fit for purpose, ill considered and ill written. The Lords can do a great service by making sure that Starmer's new laws and policies are actually coherent, lawful and practical.
    I agree with this to a point. I think the moderating factor is that there is hardly anything meaningful in Labour's manifesto, which indeed sets them up for endless fights with the Lords. But as per my other posts, the issue for me is having a situation where there is severe underrepresentation of a significant quantum of political opinion.
    But it doesn't actually matter because even if they had more representation they would still have no more power to influence things in Parliament.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,838
    Leon said:

New Tory election message?

It might be more effective than proclaiming things are terrible and they've not managed to fix them.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulling the curtains, lighting the fire and engaging in your own form of nesting, love it.
  • Options

Leon said:

The ancient British pastime of watching children collect turds from the waters edge on solstice day? Marvellous to see it’s been kept up…
    "Mudlarks" sounds sooo much nicer.
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the absurd number of likes for my post and for the kind words afterwards. I would have done a husting in a shed where nobody cares and the candidates are all nonentities. But instead I'm doing it with the leader of the Scottish Tories on Sky News.

That might sound like a nightmare - and I will confess to have been stressed. But I know enough about how to debate and how to sell an idea to have given myself a great opportunity and I think I largely acquitted myself well. Will be interesting to see what the audience made of it - they were also being interviewed by Sky afterwards.

I am 66/1. I know that. I'm almost certainly not going to win. And that is what I expected going into this. But as this election has come alive locally like nothing you would believe, its been fascinating to be on the ground watching the fun. Once it is over I promise to write a thread or two - a couple of things which I am not going to talk about until its all over. An amateur's seat at ringside of the best political circus in town.

As for 66/1 or lucky to get 10%, lets see. What was fascinating was that I managed to get Ross and Logan to confirm that their own canvassing has people on the doors saying the same things to them as they are saying to us - the economy is borked, public services are in crisis and nobody is doing anything about it. That is the word according to the Tory and SNP candidates. I then of course asked when at any point they intended to take ownership of their own party's mistakes. That the cuts being raised on the doors are their cuts, and all they promise is more cuts...

NB. According to Matthew Thompson of Sky News, Ed Davey is cutting through. Seriously cutting through. In a compare and contrast fashion against both Starmer and Sunak. He brought it up unprompted.

DYOR - you invite Sky News to interview outside your home and see what they tell YOU unprompted...

I'm on you at 150. A trading bet for the ages.
  • Options
    edited June 20

As he lives in in the only Palace in the UK which is not royal or episcopal and is the 'Dook' as Trump calls him (he also is mates with Don as well as Nige and has stayed at Mar a Lago and hosted Trump at Bleinham Palace in 2018 on his state visit). He also managed to get himself elected to Woodstock Town Council in 2021
    https://woodstock-tc.gov.uk/council-members/
  • Options
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Kicked in the head by a horse. I heard him talk about it on a radio phone-in I think...
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Pulpstar said:

For me autumn and winter are the best seasons of the year. July and August are my least favourite months.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

I must correct the characterisation that I am on 'the right'. I have said several times that I am voting for Labour. I have however made a prediction that the next political movement in the UK will be on what people describe as the 'far right'. This is not something I want to happen, I just think it will, because of the likely failure of 'centrism' to take in to account opposing views on matters like immigration and cultural issues, views which a lot of people hold. This, and the fact of 'reactive dynamics', together with other global political shifts, mean that it seems very likely to me that people will start to look to the 'far right' for answers, as the 'left' has run out of road. The concern expressed in the last comment was that, if we have a situation where 40% of people vote for right wing parties, and these positions are barely represented in Parliament, then the situation starts to become worrying for democracy. The reaction to this point is quite revealing, it is just something that people have to just 'suck up'...

I have said before that the best model for dealing with the 'far right' is what has happened in Finland for the last 20 years, the people involved are bought in to the system, and it is somehow made to work.

When I was criticising the right for pushing the idea that the next Labour government would be illegitimate because of its super-massive majority, I was not necessarily including you in that (it can be hard to keep track of every poster's political position), but more commenting on the many interventions to that effect from Conservative politicians and commentators.
    'Illegitimate' is a very poor choice of words - and it's beyond rich for the Tories to criticise a system which has benefitted them for so long, as soon as its effects turn against them.

It's better than no democracy at all, but it's a half arsed, often unfair version of democracy.
    Any for of electoral system that makes it explicitely about the parties is worse than what we have now. At least here we make an effort to say it is about the individual candidates and some of us still vote on that basis. Most PR systems give more power to the parties at a time when we should be doing the exact oposite and trying to reduce the power of parties in our democracy.

I would have been extremely happy if AV had won out but of course the Lib Dems had a tantrum over it.
    Our current crooked voting system gives much of the power to unelected selection committees and member gatherings meeting in private and accountable to absolutely no-one. We should just be pleased that the expected huge swing will negate many such Tory committees’ expectation of choosing our legislators, at the expense of giving way too many Labour ones a free ride.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

@georgeeaton

The two things voters will remember most from this campaign: 1. Sunak leaving D-Day celebrations early. 2. Tories betting on the election date.

You couldn’t have designed a worse backdrop.

Honourable mention also for Ed Davey falling into Lake Windermere.

I can't remember anything that Sir Keir has done, but that's probably how he likes it. The Ming Vase has made it another 50 yards along Downing Street unscathed.
    The real problem is that the vase is empty.
    And that ming vase makes me think Sir Menzies' bedpan.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Under FPTP, parties still have the power of picking the candidate.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 296
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

New Tory election message?

It might be more effective than proclaiming things are terrible and they've not managed to fix them.
    At least the sun's out for the last couple of weeks of the campaign.

I'm sure.....Sunak and co will find a way to mess that up
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,131
    Apologies if this has been covered. Not quite on the scale or radar of "Gave my mate £300m" or "Overheard the PM - so bets on the 4th of July". But that's Holyrood for you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cg334q4z0npo

SNP investigated over 'misuse' of election mail stamps

The SNP is being investigated by Scottish Parliament authorities over the potential misuse of postage stamps bought using MSPs' expenses.

In an email, seen by the BBC, an individual claims that stamps bought on expenses were passed to UK election candidates for campaigning activities, such as sending letters to voters.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,030

eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulling the curtains, lighting the fire and engaging in your own form of nesting, love it.
    You are of course one of the PBers who is also a weather geek, like me.

It's always surprised me how many weather geeks - almost certainly a majority - love cold weather and particularly snow. They go mad for it. I've been a contributor to weather forums for a couple of decades now and my activity seems to be the inverse of most: I am most interested in summer weather, heatwaves and thunderstorms, and couldn't care less about winter.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,353
    HYUFD said:

As he lives in in the only Palace in the UK which is not royal or episcopal and is the 'Dook' as Trump calls him (he also is mates with Don as well as Nige and has stayed at Mar a Lago and hosted Trump at Bleinham Palace in 2018 on his state visit). He also managed to get himself elected to Woodstock Town Council in 2021
    A golden advert for all that is wrong with inherited wealth and status.
  • Options
    edited June 20

HYUFD said:

To be fair he has also had problems with drugs and served time in prison for forging a prescription, criminal damage and dangerous driving, he has had a far from conventional life
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,097
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Our current crooked voting system gives much of the power to unelected selection committees and member gatherings meeting in private and accountable to absolutely no-one. We should just be pleased that the expected huge swing will negate many such Tory committees’ expectation of choosing our legislators, at the expense of giving way too many Labour ones a free ride.
    If you want a say in how a party picks its candidates, join the party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair he has also had problems with drugs and served time in prison for forging a prescription, criminal damage and dangerous driving, he has had a far from conventional life
    Well I am even more inclined to ask the question...why should we care what he thinks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

But why do we care, was the question.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Except not Reform UK.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

But why do we care, was the question.
    Leon would love him I am sure, they would get on like a house on fire!
  • Options
    TimS said:

eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

Pulpstar said:

It's always surprised me how many weather geeks - almost certainly a majority - love cold weather and particularly snow. They go mad for it. I've been a contributor to weather forums for a couple of decades now and my activity seems to be the inverse of most: I am most interested in summer weather, heatwaves and thunderstorms, and couldn't care less about winter.
    Yep, hands up I love the snow and cold. But there are plenty who chase the summer warmth too. I think we are pretty lucky in the U.K. to have pretty decent seasons, albeit I am sad at the influence of climate change on U.K. winters.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,991
    Leon said:

I'll bet those boats on the other side of the river are full of illegal migrants though.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,127
    It’s the world cup final, you’re 8-0 up at half time after your opponents, the four time cup holders, substituted their captain four times.

Half way through the second half the new captain decided to go home early during a set piece and the right wing have started doing their own thing playing a match on the side with some geriatric hooligan from Clacton who fancies himself as pele.

You’re now 10-0 up with injury time left. So you shut up shop and take the ball to the corner flag.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,810
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, he's a political nullity.
  • Options
    TimS said:

eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

Pulpstar said:

I spent my sons' childhoods feeling desperately guilty that I couldn't provide them with a white Christmas just like the ones I used to have. Now one of them lives in Kennington and the other is a semi professional snowboarder in Banff BC. Not sure what to make of that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So all that advantage and he fucked it up. And now we're supposed to be swayed by what he says?

You're really not making much of an argument.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

That’s a ludicrous and entirely unacceptable response.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Nigel would commit troops, but since he so admires Putin can we be sure which side he would commit them to?
    Whichever side marched up and down the street outside his place of residence waving banners saying 'You're amazing, Nigel!"?
  • Options
    edited June 20
    Paging Leon (as I know he loves the AI stories)....

Apparently due to ChatGPT the web is getting flooded with content spamming blogs about different niches. Previously, people would use such blogs to write about products, increase SEO ranking, drive engagement with their own products and traffic to their e-commerce business. The upshot of all the spammy auto-AI generated blogs is google can't tell the difference so have basically dropped the hammer on all small blogs / websites for SEO and small e-commerce businesses are getting shafted.

But Google is still webcrawling all the spammy blogs for AI training data. I can see a problem here!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,996

Apparently due to ChatGPT the web is getting flooded with content spamming blogs about different niches. Previously, people would use such blogs to write about products, increase SEO ranking, drive engagement with their own products and traffic to their e-commerce business. The upshot of all the spammy auto-AI generated blogs is google can't tell the difference so have basically dropped the hammer on all small blogs / websites for SEO and small e-commerce businesses are getting shafted.

But Google is still webcrawling all the spammy blogs for AI training data. I can see a problem here!

AI is rubbish in other words.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s the world cup final, you’re 8-0 up at half time after your opponents, the four time cup holders, substituted their captain four times.

Half way through the second half the new captain decided to go home early during a set piece and the right wing have started doing their own thing playing a match on the side with some geriatric hooligan from Clacton who fancies himself as pele.

You’re now 10-0 up with injury time left. So you shut up shop and take the ball to the corner flag.

We will certainly never see the 8-0 / 10-0 under Southgate England team even if the Tory party were the opposition....
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,991
    To be fair, although I rather like Rosie, her being "not happy" is rather a constant.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331

Just a reminder that Leon’s comments are legally required to have the letters “A” and “I” separated by at least five other characters.
  • Options

Leon said:

Personal request

There's a little caravan on Custom House Quay in Falmouth knocking out river Fal oysters at 4 for a tenner. It's important for my wellbeing that this place stays in business, so please patronise it. That is all.
    You want me to mention it in a piece for the gazette or whoever? I can do that. DM me
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,133

HYUFD said:

If it were to be done, then it’s best done quickly.
  • Options
    edited June 20
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,428
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

darkage said:

That’s a ludicrous and entirely unacceptable response.
    And, as events in Basildon have shown, even that feeble check can be ignored.
  • Options
    edited June 20
    Andy_JS said:
    I think that was pretty obviously quite a few months ago. He made it clear he wouldn't stand again and then in Janurary, that the Tories were wrong on net-zero and resigned from the party.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,661
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Personal request

You want me to mention it in a piece for the gazette or whoever? I can do that. DM me
    He wants them to STAY in business. A bunch of far right twats turning up might be fatal.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,344
    HYUFD said:

Love him.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    I think that was pretty obviously quite a few months ago. He made it clear he wouldn't stand again and that the Tories were wrong on net-zero.
    True, I just saw it flash up on the BBC News channel.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    I think that was pretty obviously quite a few months ago. He made it clear he wouldn't stand again and that the Tories were wrong on net-zero.
    True, I just saw it flash up on the BBC News channel.
    He makes Zac Goldsmith look ambivalent over green issues.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Personal request

https://www.kelpcanteen.com/

These guys, and my only interest is I want to be able to keep on eating their oysters when I am in Falmouth. So yes a heads up in the gazette would be awesome.
  • Options

He has breeding.
    We all have breeding.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,428

HYUFD said:

Even the Churchill dynasty produces Winstons and Randolphs more or less at random.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Personal request

These guys, and my only interest is I want to be able to keep on eating their oysters when I am in Falmouth. So yes a heads up in the gazette would be awesome.
    Sorry. @cicero and @TSE have told me not to mention any of this, apologies. Blame them
  • Options

Leon said:

Personal request

Will go there next time we're in the area. (Is the Simon Drew art studio/shop still open?)
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,661

HYUFD said:

With Russia. By surrender to Putin.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

AI is rubbish in other words.
    But also, Google is rubbish.
  • Options

Having come away from a debate with the leader of the Scottish Tories and managed to both get blows in on him and get him to agree to stuff he really shouldn't be, I have to say this:

I absolutely could do the job. I could hold my own against the seasoned professionals - its amateur vs career but sometimes that is an advantage.

I do not remotely expect an unexpected win - though in an election as crazy as this there will be all kinds of unexpected wins. But now that I have the taste for it, I intend to keep going for it.

It must be tough fighting what is historically a very weak seat for the LDs/Alliance/Liberals.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,594
    Sunaks tactics pretty clear, positive reception for his performance tonight from the likes of Oakeshott and Patrick O'Flynn. The hunt for Reform votes is on
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Personal request

Sorry. @cicero and @TSE have told me not to mention any of this, apologies. Blame them
    Nae bother, just eat the oysters if you are down that way. Awesome.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    edited June 20

Leon said:

Personal request

The SW is ridiculously good for food - for the price of a bottle of wine and a meal in London Pizza Express I got a One Michelin star level banquet + wine at the Sardine Factory in Looe (filming site of Beyond Paradise - currently bib gourmand - deputy head chef is a Master Chef professional Finalist and in his early 20s). SE Cornwall is one of the most neglected areas of the country relative to the rest of county but every time I've gone has been amazing.

Ask for the pickled mussels off-menu, they always have them and they are one of the best things I have ever had, even as someone repelled by the description.
  • Options

Sunaks tactics pretty clear, positive reception for his performance tonight from the likes of Oakeshott and Patrick O'Flynn. The hunt for Reform votes is on

Makes sense when the combined Tory/Reform share is about 38% and Cameron won a majority in 2015 with less than that.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Personal request

Will go there next time we're in the area. (Is the Simon Drew art studio/shop still open?)
    I think he is Dartmouth not Falmouth?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Leon said:

Personal request

The SW is ridiculously good for food - for the price of a bottle of wine and a meal in London Pizza Express I got a One Michelin star level banquet + wine at the Sardine Factory in Looe (filming site of Beyond Paradise - currently bib gourmand - deputy head chef is a Master Chef professional Finalist and in his early 20s). SE Cornwall is one of the most neglected areas of the country relative to the rest of county but every time I've gone has been amazing.

Ask for the pickled mussels off-menu, they always have them and they are one of the best things I have ever had, even as someone repelled by the description.
    @Leon if you can get your editor to pay for a trip to Cornwall I'd pop here. Deputy Head chef is 22ish and came 4th in Masterchef the professionals, and the main chef came 3rd in Great British Menu this year. If it was in London they'd be debating how many Michelin stars they should have
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,243
    On topic this is like half the public benefit of prediction markets: They give insiders with privileged access to information the incentive to turn it into public information.

Privileged insiders sharing their information with the public isn't always a good thing, but it's good more often than it's bad.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Makes sense when the combined Tory/Reform share is about 38% and Cameron won a majority in 2015 with less than that.
    It makes sense, though I'm baffled why those getting excited about voting Reform would at this stage be swayed by such a thing - at this point, the deeper the damage Reform can inflict the more the Tories will be, er, Reformed, after the election. Which seems better than impacting their pre-election promises.
  • Options

In my niche area this is already an issue. AI hallucinates an idea -> people use the AI to generate websites -> people do stuff that is so outrageous they could be criminally prosecuted. I feel very safe from AI.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,481
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

"Winston Churchill’s great nephew"

How is he supposed to be WC's great-nephew?

As far as I can see, he is the 3xgreat-nephew of WC's father.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Looks like Johnny Mercers opponent has upset Plymouth tonight
    https://x.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1803892494255497292?s=19

Which one? The Reform and Labour candidates are both ex-services. Not the Green lady, and the LD website sets off security warnings. THough the Reform chap was REME, and the Labour chap RM.
    Fred Thomas (Lab) apparently claimed he had seen combat but was unable to back that up and the hustings was abandoned as people stormed out. That's how Johnny tells it anyway
    Not many people make me feel split on my zero seats agenda like Mr Mercer. He's extremely fallible, but there's a human wanting to do the best for the country element that has come through every time I've met him. Wishing him and his wife the best in the election.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,213

Thanks everyone for the absurd number of likes for my post and for the kind words afterwards. I would have done a husting in a shed where nobody cares and the candidates are all nonentities. But instead I'm doing it with the leader of the Scottish Tories on Sky News.

That might sound like a nightmare - and I will confess to have been stressed. But I know enough about how to debate and how to sell an idea to have given myself a great opportunity and I think I largely acquitted myself well. Will be interesting to see what the audience made of it - they were also being interviewed by Sky afterwards.

I am 66/1. I know that. I'm almost certainly not going to win. And that is what I expected going into this. But as this election has come alive locally like nothing you would believe, its been fascinating to be on the ground watching the fun. Once it is over I promise to write a thread or two - a couple of things which I am not going to talk about until its all over. An amateur's seat at ringside of the best political circus in town.

As for 66/1 or lucky to get 10%, lets see. What was fascinating was that I managed to get Ross and Logan to confirm that their own canvassing has people on the doors saying the same things to them as they are saying to us - the economy is borked, public services are in crisis and nobody is doing anything about it. That is the word according to the Tory and SNP candidates. I then of course asked when at any point they intended to take ownership of their own party's mistakes. That the cuts being raised on the doors are their cuts, and all they promise is more cuts...

NB. According to Matthew Thompson of Sky News, Ed Davey is cutting through. Seriously cutting through. In a compare and contrast fashion against both Starmer and Sunak. He brought it up unprompted.

DYOR - you invite Sky News to interview outside your home and see what they tell YOU unprompted...

Sparring on PB is a great way to hone debating skills!

Best of luck.
  • Options
    edited June 20

To all those who are reluctantly voting Conservative because of Farage and his views on immigration.

https://x.com/Conservatives/status/1803734430206284139?t=hRDJapCDsBRUEQ-8BnU7JQ&s=19

I'm sorry, this has to be a parody account. It cannot be genuine.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,138
    "It's SHITE being a Tory!"

:lol:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,783

"It's SHITE being a Tory!"

:lol:

It's character building....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,718
    Andy_JS said:

To all those who are reluctantly voting Conservative because of Farage and his views on immigration.

https://x.com/Conservatives/status/1803734430206284139?t=hRDJapCDsBRUEQ-8BnU7JQ&s=19

Makes you proud to be British.
    Tory Party deserves what is coming.
  • Options
    edited June 20

Carnyx said:

Looks like Johnny Mercers opponent has upset Plymouth tonight
    https://x.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1803892494255497292?s=19

Which one? The Reform and Labour candidates are both ex-services. Not the Green lady, and the LD website sets off security warnings. THough the Reform chap was REME, and the Labour chap RM.
    Fred Thomas (Lab) apparently claimed he had seen combat but was unable to back that up and the hustings was abandoned as people stormed out. That's how Johnny tells it anyway
    Johnny Mercer — "I cannot believe I am standing against a real life Walter Mitty in Plymouth."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why not? The Tories want to go hard on immigration, say that Labour will not, and tell Reform voters (who they believe to be most exercised by immigration) that they share their concerns and set out the risk if they let in a Labour government.

A video of a red carpet being rolled out on the beach if peopel vote Labour fits that message.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,783

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Personal request

I think he is Dartmouth not Falmouth?
    Correct - on Foss Street.