Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New PB analysis finds that LAB and UKIP are much more relia

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    'Scotsman breaks world joke record'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26449239
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    taffys said:

I see the following UK redbricks Bristol, Leeds and Sheffield are sliding gracefully out of the top 100 global university listings.

Their fall and the imposition of politically correct admissions policies is I'm sure a mere coincidence.

The fact that Germany has one of the strongest economies in the world without having any universities at the top of the list is an interesting point to consider IMO. Maybe the obsession with increasing the proportion of people going to university isn't such a bright idea.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If a university institutionally opposes elitism, it shouldn't really remain open.

Some of them won't be open for long if this crazy policy goes on, and that will be a massive blow to some of these cities, for whom the university is a big money spinner.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,133
    taffys - what are these politically correct admission policies? A more obvious reason for the decline would be a decrease in public support for students and huge fees and possibly the clampdown on foreign students.

Still, stick to your pet obsessions if you must.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,138

taffys said:

I see the following UK redbricks Bristol, Leeds and Sheffield are sliding gracefully out of the top 100 global university listings.

Their fall and the imposition of politically correct admissions policies is I'm sure a mere coincidence.

Too many thickos being admitted on the basis of where they went to school rather than ability and attainment?

Pretty much, but in a way it's cheering that universities are sufficiently independent that they are allowed in effect to comprehensive themselves.

If a university institutionally opposes elitism, it shouldn't really remain open.

While I hate to be the shatterer of a thousand right wing dreams, in the real world the rankings referred to have nothing to do with an assessment of university intake, but are instead based on perceptions of quality of research. And on that front there seems to have been a general decline in the reputation of UK universities.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,290

But what also needs to be borne in mind is that what might be good for a large multi-national company is not necessarily good for the rest of us.

Quite, but Shell's comment puts Shell's perspective. The Nats need to consider its implications for Scotland's presumed post-Yes economy. They may think there are none, in which case they should perhaps set out why they think this. So far we have heard abuse, which is instructive but not in a helpful way.
    Unlike some of the finance companies that have been announcing their views, Shell really doesn't have much room to make threats one way or another. Their head office for tax purposes is the Hague with a registered office in London. They are dealing with a resource that will remain in Scottish waters whether Shell exploit it or not - indeed they are currently divesting themselves of fields for reasons entirely unconnected with any potential Independence vote.

Shell's position on Scots Independence should really not cause concern for either side since they will have no real impact on the Scottish economy if they left.
  • Options

I thought 300 resembled gay soft bondage p*rn with rather unpleasant fascistic overtones. I was fed up on a long flight though.

One thing that impressed me was the fitness regimes of the actors, to get those six packs. Admittedly, some were enhanced by the use of make up, but the main stars really did work hard at it.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%
    300 Rise of an Empire - 58%

Gladiator - 76%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gladiator/

Sharknado has an 82% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and that's arguably the worst film to be made since Plan Nine From Outer Space.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sharknado_2013/
    And Star Trek (reboot) got a higher rating (95) than the Wrath of Khan (90%), the best of the Trek films!
    Well that's just bonkers.

The Wrath of Khan is the greatest film ever made.
    How do you feel about the whitewashing of Khan in the newest movie?
    Well it meant Benedict Cumberbatch being in the film, so I thought it was awesome.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, the little batter between the characters, such as "Pointy" and other little things made them seem true.

Oh and any film that features Alice Eve in her underwear, I was always going to love, especially as I saw that film about 20times on a big IMAX screen, in 3D.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010

MaxPB said:

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%
    300 Rise of an Empire - 58%

Gladiator - 76%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gladiator/

Sharknado has an 82% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and that's arguably the worst film to be made since Plan Nine From Outer Space.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sharknado_2013/
    And Star Trek (reboot) got a higher rating (95) than the Wrath of Khan (90%), the best of the Trek films!
    Well that's just bonkers.

The Wrath of Khan is the greatest film ever made.
    How do you feel about the whitewashing of Khan in the newest movie?
    Well it meant Benedict Cumberbatch being in the film, so I thought it was awesome.

Ricardo Montalban is the best Khan ever!
  • Options

taffys - what are these politically correct admission policies? A more obvious reason for the decline would be a decrease in public support for students and huge fees and possibly the clampdown on foreign students.

It has nothing to do with the students. It is about the visibility and quality of the research being done in the universities concerned. The most obvious cause of the decline is the significant reduction in funding that universities have been suffering from, so making it harder for them to attract and/or retain top talent - this is especially the case in the arts and humanities.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,490
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Another big company has opined on the Scottish referendum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26461833

I look forward to the explanations why this is good news for the Yes campaign.

some multi millionaire pal of Cameron's
    Who is a Dutch citizen with a Masters in Chemical Engineering, a 31 year Shell Employee and was educated in Delft......exactly the circle Cameron moves in.......

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/who-we-are/leadership/executive-committee/ben-van-beurden.html
    @CarlottaVance

That is far outside malcolmg's field of experience - have mercy - please do not stretch his mind too far at this early hour.
    Back to the counter at your local shop cretin. You are almost as big a jessie and Billy Liar as found on this site. I am certain that you are not capable of licking my boots in any event.
    Nothing quite like jolly banter or witty repartee is there?

No, it is nothing like jolly banter or witty repartee......

You are going to be such a ray of sunshine come the 19th!

By the way, does anyone know, is the count held immediately after the polls close, or start the following morning, to allow time for distant ballot boxes to reach counting centres?

Hopefully decision will be known by morning as I would like a chance to gloat on here before flying off on vacation.
    Vacation? Are you a Yank ? Have we got another plastic partitionist at large ?

I think he means Vatican ?

Think they would lock me up
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

taffys said:

The fact that Germany has one of the strongest economies in the world without having any universities at the top of the list is an interesting point to consider IMO. Maybe the obsession with increasing the proportion of people going to university isn't such a bright idea.

It's a lot more to do with the fact that most German universities are primarily German language institutions, while most of the country's academics publish in German. That makes it very hard for their universities to bring in non-German speaking staff, while making the work that comes out of German universities much less accessible to an international audience.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    antifrank said:

Mr. Observer, 'progressiveness' is a silly term. Nobody's against progress. It might as well be 'goodyness'.

So why do we have a Conservative party?
    We don't. It's just a name they use.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

If malcolmg spoke for an Independent Scotland, no CEO in their right mind would bother investing north of the border.

They wouldn't need investment. The country could be run by hot air from the SNP, and fuelled by the chips on their shoulders.

The irony is that malcolmg 'claims' to work for a Blue Chip multinational of impeccable financial stability.

He does.

Malcolmg is a straight down the line Scottish nationalist and makes no bones about it. There is no sophistry in what he says, he is completely honest about where he stands. I don't agree with his views, but good on him for not hiding them behind a veneer of progressiveness.
    SO, pity there were not more intelligent people like yourself on PB, we could actually have some real debates in a sensible fashion.
    Pity there is not greater diversity of nationalist opinion on here - its (almost) all SNP monotheism - other nationalist views (e.g. Sillars, on separate currency) never get a look in. There is but one faith on PB.com, and Alex is our Saviour.....

Meanwhile, other Scots, who don't support the 'pig in a poke' 'independence' the SNP propose, and hence oppose this vote, get no intelligent engagement when options on currency and so forth come up......
    They should come forth with something positive on the currency or implications of a NO vote. The NAY sayers on here have nothing positive to say for NO or YES positions, just entrenched , "I am all right Jack so F***K you".
    Where are their opinions of how Scotland will thrive if it is YES. How will we cope when the £25B cuts come in if NO. What powers will they guarantee will be transferred, etc etc.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    General accuses SNP minister of endangering his family after 'Cybernat' attack
    Lieutenant General Sir Norman Arthur complains to the Scottish Government about Roseanna Cunningham after she helps publicise his home and email addresses and telephone number

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10679203/General-accuses-SNP-minister-of-endangering-his-family-after-Cybernat-attack.html
  • Options

But what also needs to be borne in mind is that what might be good for a large multi-national company is not necessarily good for the rest of us.

Quite, but Shell's comment puts Shell's perspective. The Nats need to consider its implications for Scotland's presumed post-Yes economy. They may think there are none, in which case they should perhaps set out why they think this. So far we have heard abuse, which is instructive but not in a helpful way.
    Shell's position on Scots Independence should really not cause concern for either side since they will have no real impact on the Scottish economy if they left.
    Correct.

But the investment climate uncertainties for Scotland as a whole (currency, tax regime, investment credits, etc) will impact future appetite for North Sea projects whoever holds the licences. It's not about what one company decides to do or not do but whether Eck has thought through the issue of independence potentially damaging a key industry. The individual players are, as you point out, irrelevant.
  • Options

The implications are ZERO. Shell want to make money , they will do anything with any country to achieve that. They deal with countries all over the world. It si just bollocks and Dishface calling in favours from tame unionists.
  • Options

It has nothing to do with the students. It is about the visibility and quality of the research being done in the universities concerned. The most obvious cause of the decline is the significant reduction in funding that universities have been suffering from, so making it harder for them to attract and/or retain top talent - this is especially the case in the arts and humanities.

True. They could do with good phd students of course. However post-graduate study is increasingly becoming the preserve of the rich.

Actually looking online there may be issues with admissions. If universities feel that those from more deprived backgrounds/schools outperform those with similar grades but more privilege there is a case for biasing the admissions somewhat. On what criteria is a more difficult question. Bristol have apparently been taking a lot of students from less successful private schools.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Who is a Dutch citizen with a Masters in Chemical Engineering, a 31 year Shell Employee and was educated in Delft......exactly the circle Cameron moves in.......

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/who-we-are/leadership/executive-committee/ben-van-beurden.html
    @CarlottaVance

That is far outside malcolmg's field of experience - have mercy - please do not stretch his mind too far at this early hour.
    Back to the counter at your local shop cretin. You are almost as big a jessie and Billy Liar as found on this site. I am certain that you are not capable of licking my boots in any event.

By the way, does anyone know, is the count held immediately after the polls close, or start the following morning, to allow time for distant ballot boxes to reach counting centres?

Hopefully decision will be known by morning as I would like a chance to gloat on here before flying off on vacation.

Gee. Is malcolm a septic?

He's certainly a sceptic - of love thy neighbour ;)

I am a proud BUFFS supporter and hail from the Burgh of Culture.
  • Options

Pity there is not greater diversity of nationalist opinion on here - its (almost) all SNP monotheism - other nationalist views (e.g. Sillars, on separate currency) never get a look in. There is but one faith on PB.com, and Alex is our Saviour.....

Meanwhile, other Scots, who don't support the 'pig in a poke' 'independence' the SNP propose, and hence oppose this vote, get no intelligent engagement when options on currency and so forth come up......

Yeah, PB is full of 'Scots' who only 'oppose this vote' because they haven't had their questions on currency answered. Perhaps you could provide a list of these tormented wee souls?
    She means her and Scott.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Buffs? As in the University of Colorado Buffs?

:)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Lieutenant General Sir Norman Arthur complains to the Scottish Government about Roseanna Cunningham after she helps publicise his home and email addresses and telephone number

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10679203/General-accuses-SNP-minister-of-endangering-his-family-after-Cybernat-attack.html

LOL, unionists like to give out data in the Daily Hate but are in uproar when favour returned.
    Is the old duffer scared his underhand unionist dealings will come to light, they always prefer secret donors etc. Not do as I do but do as I say.

The old dottery fart should not send out lying begging letters if he does not want his address known.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LOL, unionists like to give out data in the Daily Hate but are in uproar when favour returned.
    Is the old duffer scared his underhand unionist dealings will come to light, they always prefer secret donors etc. Not do as I do but do as I say.

The old dottery fart should not send out lying begging letters if he does not want his address known.
    What data is that? People's phone numbers?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Correct.

But the investment climate uncertainties for Scotland as a whole (currency, tax regime, investment credits, etc) will impact future appetite for North Sea projects whoever holds the licences. It's not about what one company decides to do or not do but whether Eck has thought through the issue of independence potentially damaging a key industry. The individual players are, as you point out, irrelevant.
    Yes like they do in places like Nigeria etc where their rigs get raided and workers kidnapped and murdered. What a big jessie you are, we are not stupid.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Buffs? As in the University of Colorado Buffs?

:)
    The real BUFFS, not some American fakery
  • Options
    edited March 2014

malcolmg said:

He had detailed it all on his begging letter which he sent out , if he does not want it out there do not send begging letters with your personal information on them
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    NEW THREAD

Should Kiddie Sweet Stealers Always Be Outed
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Correct.

Yes like they do in places like Nigeria etc where their rigs get raided and workers kidnapped and murdered. What a big jessie you are, we are not stupid.
    I have read these two lines about 10 times....and I have no idea what your point is. I'm sure that is my failing not yours. :-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    malcolmg said:

The implications are ZERO. Shell want to make money , they will do anything with any country to achieve that. They deal with countries all over the world. It si just bollocks and Dishface calling in favours from tame unionists.
    Assuming that iScotland doesn't change the regulatory regime then I could imagine there would be a year or two of pause in new investment while big firms get comfortable with the fact that the world isn't coming to an end. But after that period for risk assessment, if a project is NPV positive, has an attractive return on capital and is on strategy then someone will invest in it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

If malcolmg spoke for an Independent Scotland, no CEO in their right mind would bother investing north of the border.

They wouldn't need investment. The country could be run by hot air from the SNP, and fuelled by the chips on their shoulders.

The irony is that malcolmg 'claims' to work for a Blue Chip multinational of impeccable financial stability.

He does.

Malcolmg is a straight down the line Scottish nationalist and makes no bones about it. There is no sophistry in what he says, he is completely honest about where he stands. I don't agree with his views, but good on him for not hiding them behind a veneer of progressiveness.
    SO, pity there were not more intelligent people like yourself on PB, we could actually have some real debates in a sensible fashion.

They should come forth with something positive on the currency or implications of a NO vote. The NAY sayers on here have nothing positive to say for NO or YES positions, just entrenched , "I am all right Jack so F***K you".
    Where are their opinions of how Scotland will thrive if it is YES. How will we cope when the £25B cuts come in if NO. What powers will they guarantee will be transferred, etc etc.
    The 'positive thing on the currency' is the advantage of staying in the Union - you stay in a sterling zone. If you wish to leave both, then have the courage of your convictions and set up a Scots pound - pegged, initially, to the GBP and see how it goes. It may not be 'easy' at first - but then something as big and significant like 'independence' shouldn't be 'easy'.

On Devomax - its not on the ballot paper - so the question at the moment is very simple. And unlike the SNP, the unionist parties generally don't promise things not within their gift - so I expect DevoMax proposals will form part of the 2015 GE manifestos - to be considered by ALL the people of the UK.

I knew when Salmond had lost it when he declared that the people of rUK wouldn't need a vote on a currency union......
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LOL, unionists like to give out data in the Daily Hate
    Link?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

He had detailed it all on his begging letter which he sent out , if he does not want it out there do not send begging letters with your personal information on them
    HE chose who he sent his personal information to - a courtesy not extended to him by the SNP Minister.....

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2014
    Monty said:

Regarding the debate we were having on here yesterday regarding corporation tax, it turns out Apple is paying just 50cents per $1,000 dollars profit:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/06/cupertino_skipping_beelions_in_tax_report/

You'd have to say this can't continue or governments won't be able to function in the future.

These companies (and I include Amazon & Google in this category) are parasites. Using the infrastructure and legal system of the host countries and giving next to nothing back.

That's nonsense. Governments tax sales, dividend income, and wages.

If they tax companies, they just reduce the money available to be paid in wages/dividends.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1177583.ece
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2014

Monty said:

Regarding the debate we were having on here yesterday regarding corporation tax, it turns out Apple is paying just 50cents per $1,000 dollars profit:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/06/cupertino_skipping_beelions_in_tax_report/

You'd have to say this can't continue or governments won't be able to function in the future.

These companies (and I include Amazon & Google in this category) are parasites. Using the infrastructure and legal system of the host countries and giving next to nothing back.

That's nonsense. Governments tax sales, dividend income, and wages.

If they tax companies, they just reduce the money available to be paid in wages/dividends.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1177583.ece
    Cheaper books or more tax for politicans to squander? Hmm, that's a tricky one.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Assuming that iScotland doesn't change the regulatory regime then I could imagine there would be a year or two of pause in new investment while big firms get comfortable with the fact that the world isn't coming to an end. But after that period for risk assessment, if a project is NPV positive, has an attractive return on capital and is on strategy then someone will invest in it.
    To be honest you would be hard pressed to find a regulatory regime that has been worse for investment in the North Sea than that run by the UK government over the last few years.

Whilst in many ways I am very supportive of the economic decisions taken by the Coalition, when it comes to all the chopping and changing of tax systems and the indiscriminate use of the North Sea as a cash cow irrespective of the damage it does to investment, they have been nothing short of atrocious.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Correct.

As I have mentioned below, the current government has already done huge damage to the industry. Of course a Scottish government could do worse but they would really have to work at it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    How's the sweep for tonight's you gov Labour lead going ? End of the week so will take 6.
This discussion has been closed.