Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New PB analysis finds that LAB and UKIP are much more relia

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408

If malcolmg spoke for an Independent Scotland, no CEO in their right mind would bother investing north of the border.

They wouldn't need investment. The country could be run by hot air from the SNP, and fuelled by the chips on their shoulders.

The irony is that malcolmg 'claims' to work for a Blue Chip multinational of impeccable financial stability.

good on him for not hiding them behind a veneer of progressiveness.
    Thank goodness we don't have 'progressive' UK parties like Labour and the LDs doing that sort of thing.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited March 2014

If malcolmg spoke for an Independent Scotland, no CEO in their right mind would bother investing north of the border.

They wouldn't need investment. The country could be run by hot air from the SNP, and fuelled by the chips on their shoulders.

The irony is that malcolmg 'claims' to work for a Blue Chip multinational of impeccable financial stability.

He does.

Malcolmg is a straight down the line Scottish nationalist and makes no bones about it. There is no sophistry in what he says, he is completely honest about where he stands. I don't agree with his views, but good on him for not hiding them behind a veneer of progressiveness.
    I think Malc is reading from a pre-agreed "wind up the English" playbook which is all very Eck like.

We love you Malc even though you are cross and I am pleased we are indeed going to be better together. Kisses !
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    TGOHF said:

I see John 'Free Coffee' Lewis has given all it's partners a 15% bonus.

What will Ed Miliband have to say about this attack on the cost of living?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26462969

Ed will want them to share their bonus equitably with hard working nurses and teachers - via the exchequer..

They already do......so for many the 15% is only 12% and some 9%. Those at the very top would only get 7.5% from Ed.....

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Nobody's against progress.

I am. I'd like to see the repeal of the Representation of the People Act 1832.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

Morning all and a couple of thoughts.

On the voter turnout, don't the majority of polls consistently overstate Labour and understate the Tories compared to actual turnout, with the odd notable and gold standard exceptions?

It may well be just rich pals of Cameron or whatever tag Malcolm wishes to give them who are suggesting it would be bad for Scotland to leave the UK but these "rich pals" employ hundreds of thousands of Scots and the companies they run contribute tens/hundreds of £millions to the exchequer. Maybe more of the comrade workers should remember without the rich capitalists who employ them, they would be unemployed.

Scotland already suffers from a seriously top-heavy public sector thanks to Labour ballooning it for 13 years. We are now seeing the price of that with councils closing offices which frankly should never have been opened in the first place. Sadly in Highlands, we are seeing important local offices shut so the council big wigs can protect their empires closer to home.

Easterross, rich businessmen are always whinging , we saw it at devolution and not one followed up on their bluster and FUD. Also the old canard that Scotland is top heavy on public sector has been shown to be false many times, it is no worse than UK, again just Tory scaremongering.
    I do agree however regarding the loony Labour councils, nowadays aided and abetted by the Tories, look at Aberdeen fiascos of late for instance.
  • Options
    To be fair to Malcolm, it can be argued that the Shell guy's experience running a large, prosperous, internationally-minded and technologically advanced concern such as Shell is much less relevant to Scotland than Wee Eck's 2:2 in mediaeval history.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Another big company has opined on the Scottish referendum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26461833

I look forward to the explanations why this is good news for the Yes campaign.

Just another arse licking friend of the establishment having to work for his club membership. Unionists will stoop to anything. As if any normal person cares if some multi millionaire pal of Cameron's attempts to keep his snout in the trough by parrotting the Tory line.
    Do these half wits have any intelligence.
    Erm...the new CEO of Shell has only been in the job for 8 weeks. The first and only time he has ever met Cameron was in Aberdeen when Dave and Eck decided to stage simultaneous cabinet meetings in Oiltown UK. So to describe him as a 'pal' seems like projection on your part.

Reality is that the oil industry works on decade long timescales - we need that long to explore, study, invest, build, produce. Moving investment climates make getting economic projections right very difficult - so sometimes we decide not to invest. Brown and then Osborne seriously pissed off the whole industry with their tax raids. And this has undoubtedly cut investment in the North Sea.

All the Shell CEO is doing is exercising his fiduciary duty and voicing the industry view - Scottish independence introduces a bunch of uncertainties (currency, tax regime, investment credits, etc) and this simply makes allocating investment capital to Scotland instead of Qatar or the USA, for example, harder to justify at Business Plan time.
    Don't you think you should declare your interest, Patrick :-)
    Not really, as Patrick is only talking common sense which I support as opposed to the nonsense coming from certain of the Nats on the subject.
    IIRC, Patrick works in PR at Shell. I was just making a joke.
    Says it all ,
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Blimey, PB dancing to a Scottish jig again. You little tinkers just can't stop yourselves.

I was pleased to see Salmond dancing to Osborne's jig on income tax,
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/03/alex-salmond-refuses-commit-reintroducing-50p-tax-rate-scotland
    The George Tax.
  • Options
    Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

some multi millionaire pal of Cameron's
    Who is a Dutch citizen with a Masters in Chemical Engineering, a 31 year Shell Employee and was educated in Delft......exactly the circle Cameron moves in.......

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/who-we-are/leadership/executive-committee/ben-van-beurden.html
    @CarlottaVance

That is far outside malcolmg's field of experience - have mercy - please do not stretch his mind too far at this early hour.
    Back to the counter at your local shop cretin. You are almost as big a jessie and Billy Liar as found on this site. I am certain that you are not capable of licking my boots in any event.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Charles said:

Financier said:

@Charles

Now you really are teasing! Isn't your affiliation very focused on Risk Management.

@rcs1000

Yes I was aware of Patrick's allegiance and knew you were joking. You may be aware that our business is very close to the O&G industries.

Personally I'm more focused on strategy, but risk management is at the heart of everything we do. Unlimited liability has a wonderful way of concentrating the mind.
    @Charles

Especially if it all goes t-ts up and the buck stops at you. The focus of unwanted attention at a board meeting is not an experience to desired.
    He was not talking about doing the ironing and his wife chastising him on the risk of burning the ironing board, dummy.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Charles said:

Financier said:

@Charles

Now you really are teasing! Isn't your affiliation very focused on Risk Management.

@rcs1000

Yes I was aware of Patrick's allegiance and knew you were joking. You may be aware that our business is very close to the O&G industries.

Personally I'm more focused on strategy, but risk management is at the heart of everything we do. Unlimited liability has a wonderful way of concentrating the mind.
    @Charles

Especially if it all goes t-ts up and the buck stops at you. The focus of unwanted attention at a board meeting is not an experience to desired.
    He was not talking about doing the ironing and his wife chastising him on the risk of burning the ironing board, dummy.
    It's just a flesh wound. I'll bite yer head off.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    An interesting development - Ukraine crisis: Crimea MPs vote to join Russia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26465962
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2014
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Charles said:

Financier said:

@Charles

@rcs1000

@Charles

Calm down malcolm, and get on with some work to justify your £1 million salary, and mahogany helicopter in the company car park.

I'd like a large fries with that burger please.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Who is a Dutch citizen with a Masters in Chemical Engineering, a 31 year Shell Employee and was educated in Delft......exactly the circle Cameron moves in.......

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/who-we-are/leadership/executive-committee/ben-van-beurden.html
    @CarlottaVance

That is far outside malcolmg's field of experience - have mercy - please do not stretch his mind too far at this early hour.
    Back to the counter at your local shop cretin. You are almost as big a jessie and Billy Liar as found on this site. I am certain that you are not capable of licking my boots in any event.
    Nothing quite like jolly banter or witty repartee is there?

No, it is nothing like jolly banter or witty repartee......

You are going to be such a ray of sunshine come the 19th!

By the way, does anyone know, is the count held immediately after the polls close, or start the following morning, to allow time for distant ballot boxes to reach counting centres?
  • Options
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

By the way, does anyone know, is the count held immediately after the polls close, or start the following morning, to allow time for distant ballot boxes to reach counting centres?
    I just hope the Samaritans have finished their system upgrade by September.

She cannae take it, Captain.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mr. Observer, 'progressiveness' is a silly term. Nobody's against progress. It might as well be 'goodyness'.

So why do we have a Conservative party?
  • Options

An interesting development - Ukraine crisis: Crimea MPs vote to join Russia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26465962

I doubt that was a power delegated to them from Kiev - Cf. the SNP's huffing & puffing about 'its our referendum' before it was pointed out to them that it wasn't and they needed Westminster to act, otherwise they'd be in the courts for decades.....
  • Options
    Anorak said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Are they installing an extra 5 million lines? (Freephone obviously).

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Ishmael_X said:

Me too. In fact I'd go further and suggest that the repeal of the 1689 Bill of Rights and thus a return to a semi-absolutist monarchy as per Elizabeth I would result in better government and, thus, greater prosperity for all (see works of Dante for details).
  • Options

Anorak said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Well only 30% of Scotland will be disappointed, so that would be (if you'll pardon the expression) overkill.
  • Options

Blimey, PB dancing to a Scottish jig again. You little tinkers just can't stop yourselves.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/03/alex-salmond-refuses-commit-reintroducing-50p-tax-rate-scotland
    The George Tax.
    What's the Osballs commitment on the 45p/50p tax rate again? I know Ed says he would 'temporarily' restore the 50p rate, but no word from the other half of the ugliest Siamese twins in history?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Mr. Antifrank, change doesn't equal progress. I could change my weight by cutting off my legs, but that wouldn't be progress. Some things are better changed, some are better left the same.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Well only 30% of Scotland will be disappointed, so that would be (if you'll pardon the expression) overkill.
    Millions of English are going to be disappointed too!

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Usually a person who calls another person a cretin shows severe signs of cretinism themselves. For only a cretin who is used to being used as a servile servant or lives under a reign of terror (SNP?) would think of licking someone's boots.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    And now for some light relief:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10679769/David-Cameron-mocked-on-Twitter-after-serious-Obama-phone-photo.html

The Speccie is also taking the piss out of Cameron this morning:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/03/coffee-shots-politicians-help-voters-imagine-the-impossible/

And rightly so, why Cameron thinks anyone is going to be impressed by a photo of him with a phone to his ear and wearing a serious face is a mystery. What a knob the man is.
  • Options
    Earlier on this week, I spent just under two days in that fine city of Edinburgh.

I must say, we discuss the independence referendum more on PB than the good people of Edinburgh that I met.

I tried to love bomb them into not leaving, but I think I was preaching to the converted.

But I'm back in July and August (to Glasgow) so there's still time.
  • Options
    On topic, I'm not surprised that Labour has such a high proportion of non voters.

In 2010 they polled sub 30%, I made the assumption that a lot of their voters stayed at home, and would return for 2015.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Earlier on this week, I spent just under two days in that fine city of Edinburgh.

I must say, we discuss the independence referendum more on PB than the good people of Edinburgh that I met.

I tried to love bomb them into not leaving, but I think I was preaching to the converted.

Let me know when you're back up to AuldReekie.. I'll show you the sights of Sunny Leith.
  • Options

Let me know when you're back up to AuldReekie.. I'll show you the sights of Sunny Leith.
    Cheers, will do.

I'm contemplating coming up to Edinburgh for the 18th and 19th of September.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    More Not Unexpected News from Welsh Labour

Head teachers from across Wales have raised concerns over the "unexpectedly low" results for GCSE English language exams sat earlier this year.

The Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) said grades for the January exams in Wales were "far below what was expected", leaving head teachers shocked.

It follows a row over GCSE English exam results in 2012 which led to thousands of papers being re-graded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26464441
  • Options
    Ed Davey has clearly been reading his Dale Carnegie

Ed Davey: Tory climate sceptics need to ‘shut it’

Liberal Democrat energy secretary attacks Conservative climate change sceptics and tell them to 'shut it'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10679703/Ed-Davey-Tory-climate-sceptics-need-to-shut-it.html
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Cheers, will do.

I hope the count & result are out quickly then.
    I'll buy you a coffee (you don't drink, right?)

• Options

Cheers, will do.

I hope the count & result are out quickly then.
    I'll buy you a coffee (you don't drink right?)

Coffee sounds good.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The thread headline is hardly unexpected: large numbers of Labour voters would have sat on their hands in 2010, and UKIP is picking up support from disgruntled voters who haven't visited the polling station in many years.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I said quite some time ago, probably pre-2010, that Ed Davey was a simpleton. I fear my description was excessively charitable.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Liberal Democrat energy secretary attacks Conservative climate change sceptics and tell them to 'shut it'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10679703/Ed-Davey-Tory-climate-sceptics-need-to-shut-it.html

Classic response from someone who has lost the argument. Try and shut down the opposition so they cannot be heard.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

To be fair to Malcolm, it can be argued that the Shell guy's experience running a large, prosperous, internationally-minded and technologically advanced concern such as Shell is much less relevant to Scotland than Wee Eck's 2:2 in mediaeval history.

But what also needs to be borne in mind is that what might be good for a large multi-national company is not necessarily good for the rest of us. Shell will have their own reasons for wanting the UK to remain as a single political entity and most of those reasons will be tied to costs and profits. That does not necessarily mean we should be concerned about them as well. This was the argument we (as in the Eurosceptics) already won in the Euro debate with all those companies threatening to leave if we didn't join. As it turns out the only companies that have left have done so for reasons unconnected to the Euro and far more connected to cheaper labour costs and tax breaks/subsidies in eastern Europe.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,626

Classic response from someone who has lost the argument. Try and shut down the opposition so they cannot be heard.
    And why does he think all Climate Change realists are Tory?
  • Options

And why does he think all Climate Change realists are Tory?
    Because Tories can think for themselves?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

On topic, I'm not surprised that Labour has such a high proportion of non voters.

In 2010 they polled sub 30%, I made the assumption that a lot of their voters stayed at home, and would return for 2015.

Turnout was up in 2010 compared with 2001 and 2005. So the questions arise:

1) did Labour voters in fact stay at home in 2010 or did they vote for other parties?

2) if they did stay at home, who were the new voters in 2010 and where are they going?
  • Options

The George Tax.
    What's the Osballs commitment on the 45p/50p tax rate again? I know Ed says he would 'temporarily' restore the 50p rate, but no word from the other half of the ugliest Siamese twins in history?

I congratulated Salmond on showing his Tartan Tory neo-Thatcherite colours. What's your problem ?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

That was actually the Reform Act!

These are the various Representation of the People Acts:
    1884 · 1918 · 1928 · 1948 · 1949 · 1969 · 1981 · 1983 · 1985 · 1989 · 1990 · 1991 · 1993 · 2000
  • Options

Lots of would be commediennes on here today, suggest any who actually have a day job do not give it up.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I said quite some time ago, probably pre-2010, that Ed Davey was a simpleton. I fear my description was excessively charitable.

I wouldn't be surprised to be learn that Ed Davey thinks that the Battle of Zama was a great result for Carthage.
  • Options

I wouldn't be surprised to be learn that Ed Davey thinks that the Battle of Zama was a great result for Carthage.
    Isn't that Dan Hodges territory?

:)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

He does.

Malcolmg is a straight down the line Scottish nationalist and makes no bones about it. There is no sophistry in what he says, he is completely honest about where he stands. I don't agree with his views, but good on him for not hiding them behind a veneer of progressiveness.
    SO, pity there were not more intelligent people like yourself on PB, we could actually have some real debates in a sensible fashion.
    I would even refrain from baiting the caged animals if it was the case.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Turnout was up in 2010 compared with 2001 and 2005. So the questions arise:

1) did Labour voters in fact stay at home in 2010 or did they vote for other parties?

2) if they did stay at home, who were the new voters in 2010 and where are they going?
    I have suggested to Lord Ashcroft, that he tries to find that out in his next poll.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

He does.

I think Malc is reading from a pre-agreed "wind up the English" playbook which is all very Eck like.

We love you Malc even though you are cross and I am pleased we are indeed going to be better together. Kisses !
    TGOHF , under that veneer you are much cleverer than you portray, you will be very welcome in a Free Scotland. Hugs and kisses back.
  • Options
    F1: Betfair has some extra markets up. They haven't got going yet, but the top 3 and top 6 drivers' title markets could be interesting, when they've warmed up.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Hopefully decision will be known by morning as I would like a chance to gloat on here before flying off on vacation.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited March 2014

Expect nothing but references to Sparta, Xerxes I, Artemisia and Themistocles for the next few days.

I'm off to see 300 and 300: Rise of an Empire this evening at the cinema.
  • Options
    Financier said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Usually a person who calls another person a cretin shows severe signs of cretinism themselves. For only a cretin who is used to being used as a servile servant or lives under a reign of terror (SNP?) would think of licking someone's boots.

Like being savaged by a dead sheep. Next you will be threatening to get your big sister on to me.
  • Options

Expect nothing but references to Sparta, Xerxes I, Themistocles for the next few days.

"Madness...? This is Sparta!"
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I saw 300 on the TV a year or two ago. Rather underwhelming, I thought.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Expect nothing but references to Sparta, Xerxes I, Artemisia and Themistocles for the next few days.

I'm off to see it tomorrow... should be good.
  • Options
    Off topic, QPR have announced their financial results today.

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 59s

QPR spend more money on wages than Borussia Dortmund. Think about that for a moment.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited March 2014

Mr. Eagles, I saw 300 on the TV a year or two ago. Rather underwhelming, I thought.

Really? I mean really?

It is one of my favourite films of all time.

You've never had the urge to kick someone in the stomach and say "This is Sheffield Sparta.
  • Options

"A new age has begun, an age of freedom. And all will know that 300 Spartans gave their last breath to defend it."
  • Options

I'm off to see it tomorrow... should be good.
    I can't wait. The initial reviews say it is as good as the first one.
  • Options
    Bah. Leonidas may have kicked a messenger into a well, but Sir Edric kicked a nine foot carnivorous slaver through a sixth floor window. And he has better one liners.

In all honesty, I was not taken with it, and generally bored. The excessive use of slow motion and grotesque images made it appear a film made for the director's delight, rather than that of the audience.

I, Claudius or Gladiator are far better.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Hopefully decision will be known by morning as I would like a chance to gloat on here before flying off on vacation.
    Vacation? Are you a Yank ? Have we got another plastic partitionist at large ?

• Options

Bah. Leonidas may have kicked a messenger into a well, but Sir Edric kicked a nine foot carnivorous slaver through a sixth floor window. And he has better one liners.

In all honesty, I was not taken with it, and generally bored. The excessive use of slow motion and grotesque images made it appear a film made for the director's delight, rather than that of the audience.

Gladiator is a great film, yes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

I think he means Vatican ?

• Options
  • Options

It is based on a graphic novel, so that explained the style of the movie.

I, Claudius rocked, but as good as Gladiator was, it was as historically accurate as an America War film.

I mean, Maximus Decimus Meridius doesn't even follow Roman naming conventions and they made Commodus was made to appear as a bad man when he really wasn't.
  • Options
    Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%
    300 Rise of an Empire - 58%

Gladiator - 76%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gladiator/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

He does.

SO, pity there were not more intelligent people like yourself on PB, we could actually have some real debates in a sensible fashion.
    Pity there is not greater diversity of nationalist opinion on here - its (almost) all SNP monotheism - other nationalist views (e.g. Sillars, on separate currency) never get a look in. There is but one faith on PB.com, and Alex is our Saviour.....

Meanwhile, other Scots, who don't support the 'pig in a poke' 'independence' the SNP propose, and hence oppose this vote, get no intelligent engagement when options on currency and so forth come up......
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I see your knowledge of Commodus is as comprehensive as your understanding of the Second Punic War.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Gee. Is malcolm a septic?

• Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    I thought 300 resembled gay soft bondage p*rn with rather unpleasant fascistic overtones. I was fed up on a long flight though.
  • Options

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%

Gladiator - 76%

Sharknado has an 82% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and that's arguably the worst film to be made since Plan Nine From Outer Space.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sharknado_2013/
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%

Gladiator - 76%

Sharknado has an 82% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and that's arguably the worst film to be made since Plan Nine From Outer Space.

And Star Trek (reboot) got a higher rating (95) than the Wrath of Khan (90%), the best of the Trek films!
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I see your knowledge of Commodus is as comprehensive as your understanding of the Second Punic War.

In the film he killed his father, I mean really?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I see Sam Torrance has been made a vice captain - could be the only Scot in the team - Eck will be pleased there is at least one.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, those Star Trek figures are just ridiculous.

Mr. Eagles, Gladiator has quite a bit of historical inaccuracy, but the changes are still plausible. The changes in 300 are just stupid.
  • Options

I thought 300 resembled gay soft bondage p*rn with rather unpleasant fascistic overtones. I was fed up on a long flight though.

Ah that explains why I love the film so much.
  • Options
    The other great thing about 300 is that it helped lay the groundwork for the TV series Spartacus, which is one of the best shows ever made.
  • Options

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%

Gladiator - 76%

And Star Trek (reboot) got a higher rating (95) than the Wrath of Khan (90%), the best of the Trek films!
    Well that's just bonkers.

The Wrath of Khan is the greatest film ever made.
  • Options

Pity there is not greater diversity of nationalist opinion on here - its (almost) all SNP monotheism - other nationalist views (e.g. Sillars, on separate currency) never get a look in. There is but one faith on PB.com, and Alex is our Saviour.....

Meanwhile, other Scots, who don't support the 'pig in a poke' 'independence' the SNP propose, and hence oppose this vote, get no intelligent engagement when options on currency and so forth come up......

Yeah, PB is full of 'Scots' who only 'oppose this vote' because they haven't had their questions on currency answered. Perhaps you could provide a list of these tormented wee souls?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

@CarlottaVance

Gee. Is malcolm a septic?

He's certainly a sceptic - of love thy neighbour ;)

• Options
    On topic, ahem,

General Boles ‏@GeneralBoles 9m

Less Than 300 - Rise Of An Empire

(starring Nigel Farage and a cast of dozens)

pic.twitter.com/LlxB8Gz70v
  • Options

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%

Gladiator - 76%

KHHHHAAAAAAAAN!

(sorry, I always wanted to say that on PB!!)
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I've seen some of Spartacus. It's rather entertaining.
  • Options

Yeah, PB is full of 'Scots' who only 'oppose this vote' because they haven't had their questions on currency answered. Perhaps you could provide a list of these tormented wee souls?
    Thank you for the demonstration of the typical SNP response to apostates who challenge the faith.....no Jim Sillars you! There is but one Lord, and his name is Eck!

• Options

But what also needs to be borne in mind is that what might be good for a large multi-national company is not necessarily good for the rest of us.

Quite, but Shell's comment puts Shell's perspective. The Nats need to consider its implications for Scotland's presumed post-Yes economy. They may think there are none, in which case they should perhaps set out why they think this. So far we have heard abuse, which is instructive but not in a helpful way.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,678

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%

Gladiator - 76%

How do you feel about the whitewashing of Khan in the newest movie?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 915
    Blimey - Nationalist MPs vote - referendum to be brought forward to mid March - Scotland to become part of Russia!!
  • Options

Thank you for the demonstration of the typical SNP response to apostates who challenge the faith.....no Jim Sillars you! There is but one Lord, and his name is Eck!

So, that would be absolutely zero 'Scots' on PB who only 'oppose this vote' because they haven't had their questions on currency answered? Thanks for demonstrating you've evolved to concern trolling.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I see the following UK redbricks Bristol, Leeds and Sheffield are sliding gracefully out of the top 100 global university listings.

Their fall and the imposition of politically correct admissions policies is I'm sure a mere coincidence.
  • Options

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%

Gladiator - 76%

No - that is "Where Eagles Dare"

• Options
    Icarus said:

Blimey - Nationalist MPs vote - referendum to be brought forward to mid March - Scotland to become part of Russia!!

Red October 2014!!!
  • Options
    taffys said:

I see the following UK redbricks Bristol, Leeds and Sheffield are sliding gracefully out of the top 100 global university listings.

Their fall and the imposition of politically correct admissions policies is I'm sure a mere coincidence.

Too many thickos being admitted on the basis of where they went to school rather than ability and attainment?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

300 - 60%

Gladiator - 76%

No - that is "Where Eagles Dare"

"A punk. A second rate punk at that."
  • Options

On topic, ahem,

General Boles ‏@GeneralBoles 9m

Less Than 300 - Rise Of An Empire

(starring Nigel Farage and a cast of dozens)

pic.twitter.com/LlxB8Gz70v

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/300/29561/300-rise-of-an-empire-review
    Den of Geek like it. Which is always a promising start.

I really like the style of the file, having been a big fan of the graphic novel.
    Much the same as for Sin City, which did a great job of translating the graphic novel to the big screen.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    Regarding the debate we were having on here yesterday regarding corporation tax, it turns out Apple is paying just 50cents per $1,000 dollars profit:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/06/cupertino_skipping_beelions_in_tax_report/

You'd have to say this can't continue or governments won't be able to function in the future.

These companies (and I include Amazon & Google in this category) are parasites. Using the infrastructure and legal system of the host countries and giving next to nothing back.
  • Options

taffys said:

Too many thickos being admitted on the basis of where they went to school rather than ability and attainment?

Pretty much, but in a way it's cheering that universities are sufficiently independent that they are allowed in effect to comprehensive themselves.

If a university institutionally opposes elitism, it shouldn't really remain open.
  • Options
    comprehensivise themselves
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.