Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New PB analysis finds that LAB and UKIP are much more relia

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New PB analysis finds that LAB and UKIP are much more reliant on those who didn’t vote last time than either the Tories or Lib Dems

The big Populus/FT online aggregate data for February with an overall sample of 14,203, provides a mine of information presented in a form that makes possible a number of detailed analysis areas which you cannot do with conventional polling data.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    I think your chart needs some attention,the size of the sectors doesn't change when you change parties. Cheers
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've changed the chart to make it simpler
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Thanks!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Another big company has opined on the Scottish referendum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26461833

I look forward to the explanations why this is good news for the Yes campaign.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    An interesting data set.

It matches fairly closely, except the LibDem number which I have higher, the figures that are crunched in my ARSE.

The latest ARSE 2015 General Election projection published on PB on Tuesday showed :

Con 302 .. Lab 276 .. LibDem 39 .. Others 33
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited March 2014
    antifrank said:

No explanations are required. Without even following the link I can guarantee that from some angle in dim light it is Good News for the Yes campaign.

EDIT: Followed it now. Meh. Don't need 'em anyway. Troublemakers

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    antifrank said:

Salmond says the man is entitled to his personal opinion. An interesting change of tactics for the SNP. Is Salmond going soft?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    On topic this is indeed interesting data but to what extent is it already reflected in the pollsters "certainty to vote" filter? I think that has to be taken into account before I gleefully knock 8% off the Labour total.

And does this certainty to vote filter vary significantly between pollsters? I am not sure I understand enough of the context.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    antifrank said:

Just another arse licking friend of the establishment having to work for his club membership. Unionists will stoop to anything. As if any normal person cares if some multi millionaire pal of Cameron's attempts to keep his snout in the trough by parrotting the Tory line.
    Do these half wits have any intelligence.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited March 2014
    malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Just another arse licking friend of the establishment having to work for his club membership. Unionists will stoop to anything. As if any normal person cares if some multi millionaire pal of Cameron's attempts to keep his snout in the trough by parrotting the Tory line.

LOL and of course the SNP remains silent when Sean Connery opines on Scottish Independence.. isn't he a multi millionaire pal of Salmond?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

LOL and of course the SNP remains silent when Sean Connery opines on Scottish Independence.. isn't he a multi millionaire pal of Salmond?
    Oh well, there's only 6 more months of the campaign to go. The Indyref has to be one of the direst campaigns ever. And Salmond is an idiot for deciding to bore everyone for 3 years.
  • Options
    All the evidence is that the best way of assessing whether someone will vote or not is whether or not they have turned out in the past.

Obviously this doesn't apply to those turning 18 since May 2005. I suspect that a good proxy would be "did their parents vote at the last GE" but doubt you can extract this from the data.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Erm...the new CEO of Shell has only been in the job for 8 weeks. The first and only time he has ever met Cameron was in Aberdeen when Dave and Eck decided to stage simultaneous cabinet meetings in Oiltown UK. So to describe him as a 'pal' seems like projection on your part.

Reality is that the oil industry works on decade long timescales - we need that long to explore, study, invest, build, produce. Moving investment climates make getting economic projections right very difficult - so sometimes we decide not to invest. Brown and then Osborne seriously pissed off the whole industry with their tax raids. And this has undoubtedly cut investment in the North Sea.

All the Shell CEO is doing is exercising his fiduciary duty and voicing the industry view - Scottish independence introduces a bunch of uncertainties (currency, tax regime, investment credits, etc) and this simply makes allocating investment capital to Scotland instead of Qatar or the USA, for example, harder to justify at Business Plan time.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2014
    Useful analysis - this is something I've been highlighting for a while, but it's good to have proper analysis to back up my assumption. Is there a standard assumption ability how many DNVs turn out next time round? It's difficult to think of much that the Tories have done which is sufficient to prompt a DNV to do more than grumble.

But let's assume that Labour is on 40. 20% is equivalent to 8% vote share. Assuming that half of those turn out on the day that is a very significant deduct to Labour's score. Interesting for the Tories, though, as they need to pitch the campaign as differentiated from the Coalition, but not so differentiated that it encourages Labour-leaning DNV to turn out.

Not all the 18-24 category were to young to vote last time, mind,

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,948
    This looks like a very big challenge for both Labour and UKIP. The former does, at least, have a decent ground operation in places where it needs one - but it will need to work very hard on this.

The other issue is where the 2010 non-voters are. If they are in already safe Labour seats (or safe Tory seats for UKIP), then whether they actually turn out or not is going to make very little difference. If, on the other hand, they are in battleground seats it could be a significant issue.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    The 18-24 age group generally has ~40% turnout. So if labour is picking up 52% of the 18-24 group, then really it can only count on ~20% of them to actually turn out.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    @Patrick

Very much agree with your comments re Shell. They have been divesting of some of their mature fields and of course any investment in exploration or secondary extraction is huge.

Re: YouGov.

In today's 34/37/10/11, again the 2010 LD split is Lab 32/LD 40.
    2010 Cons back the Cons at 80% which is quite high.

To the question which would make the best prime Minister?

Cameron: 35(-2) Gets support of 94% of Con VI
    Miliband: 22 (-6) Gets support of 61% of LAB VI
    Clegg: 5(-1) Gets support of 45% of LD VI
    Do Not Know: 38(+9)
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    Of course some of the voters who did not vote last time may have had their vote cast for them as postal votes by a helpful, if unofficial, party organisation.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Charles said:

No, but for arguments sake you can just look at the 18-24 group now and weight against past performance of that group without taking into account how old they were at the last GE.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited March 2014
    Which is why it's very possible that Labour's vote will fall between now and 2015 as these voters drift away again.

...particularly as people remain unimpressed by Miliband - see today's YouGov where his "best PM" rating has fallen from 28% back down to 22%.

32% of current Labour voters don't know who would make the best PM.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/h5ylo0ahe5/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-050314.pdf
  • Options

This looks like a very big challenge for both Labour and UKIP. The former does, at least, have a decent ground operation in places where it needs one - but it will need to work very hard on this.

The other issue is where the 2010 non-voters are. If they are in already safe Labour seats (or safe Tory seats for UKIP), then whether they actually turn out or not is going to make very little difference. If, on the other hand, they are in battleground seats it could be a significant issue.

Doesn't it matter regardless of which seat type they are in?

If a DNV switches to Labour in a safe seat it won't affect the result, but it still means the headline poll number is misleading in terms of their winning power.

Someone better at stats than me will know the answer, but I'd assume there is higher turnout in battlegrounds - but perhaps I'm being naive in assuming more intense campaigning is a good thing for turnout...
  • Options

Charles said:

No, but for arguments sake you can just look at the 18-24 group now and weight against past performance of that group without taking into account how old they were at the last GE.
    Agreed - I was just highlighting that Mike is overstating the case when he said that you can ignore the 18-24 group in toto but they are CNV rather than DNV
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    DavidL said:

On topic this is indeed interesting data but to what extent is it already reflected in the pollsters "certainty to vote" filter? I think that has to be taken into account before I gleefully knock 8% off the Labour total.

And does this certainty to vote filter vary significantly between pollsters? I am not sure I understand enough of the context.

YouGov doesn't measure certainty at all. ICM and Populus make drastic assumptions for it based on past behaviour. ComRes, I think, normally only headlines the "certain to votes". So if YouGov were showing a much larger Labour lead than other companies, this would be a likely reason. At the moment, they're not, though ICM and Populus do tend to show marginally lower leads.

I can offer some semi-anecdotal input too, based on thousands of impressions. I assess how campaigns are going by comparing what people tell us now with what they told us before - that's always proved very reliable. I can confirm that a lot of "didn't vote last time" voters are in our column (in Broxtowe anyway). They're a mixed bag. Quite a lot are quite political people who didn't like Gordon but didn't feel they could vote Tory. They will vote next time. Some are young, probably away at uni at election time - the postal vote effort and explaining the marginality of the seat is crucial for these. Some are not very interested, and although we'll work on them I assume half of those won't vote, though our GOTV operation is pretty good. An honest guess is that you can knock a point off our score for this factor - it's an issue, but not a massive one.
  • Options

DavidL said:

YouGov doesn't measure certainty at all. ICM and Populus make drastic assumptions for it based on past behaviour. ComRes, I think, normally only headlines the "certain to votes". So if YouGov were showing a much larger Labour lead than other companies, this would be a likely reason. At the moment, they're not, though ICM and Populus do tend to show marginally lower leads.

I can offer some semi-anecdotal input too, based on thousands of impressions. I assess how campaigns are going by comparing what people tell us now with what they told us before - that's always proved very reliable. I can confirm that a lot of "didn't vote last time" voters are in our column (in Broxtowe anyway). They're a mixed bag. Quite a lot are quite political people who didn't like Gordon but didn't feel they could vote Tory. They will vote next time. Some are young, probably away at uni at election time - the postal vote effort and explaining the marginality of the seat is crucial for these. Some are not very interested, and although we'll work on them I assume half of those won't vote, though our GOTV operation is pretty good. An honest guess is that you can knock a point off our score for this factor - it's an issue, but not a massive one.
    Wasn't the last "marginally lower lead" something like 4 points vs 9 points?

(Both outliers of course, but that doesn't stop me selectively using them...)
  • Options
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Erm...the new CEO of Shell has only been in the job for 8 weeks. The first and only time he has ever met Cameron was in Aberdeen when Dave and Eck decided to stage simultaneous cabinet meetings in Oiltown UK. So to describe him as a 'pal' seems like projection on your part.

Reality is that the oil industry works on decade long timescales - we need that long to explore, study, invest, build, produce. Moving investment climates make getting economic projections right very difficult - so sometimes we decide not to invest. Brown and then Osborne seriously pissed off the whole industry with their tax raids. And this has undoubtedly cut investment in the North Sea.

All the Shell CEO is doing is exercising his fiduciary duty and voicing the industry view - Scottish independence introduces a bunch of uncertainties (currency, tax regime, investment credits, etc) and this simply makes allocating investment capital to Scotland instead of Qatar or the USA, for example, harder to justify at Business Plan time.
    Shell have been flopping for years and selling assets by the barrowload to try and keep themselves afloat. They are crap , as I say who in Scotland apart from halfwit Tories gives a toss what some SPIV millionaire thinks.
  • Options
    On topic, we can overanalyse polls. Labour have a smallish lead over the Conservatives at present, the Lib Dems are flat on the canvass and UKIP are continuing to attract significant levels of support. And the general election is 14 months away.

That's about all that we can usefully say right now.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Shell have been flopping for years and selling assets by the barrowload to try and keep themselves afloat. They are crap , as I say who in Scotland apart from halfwit Tories gives a toss what some SPIV millionaire thinks.
    Thus speaks independent Scotland's new Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Thus speaks independent Scotland's new Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills.
    Only losers like you are in thrall to troughers, Shell will toe the line as they do in all the countries they work in , will just mean one more arse their boss needs to lick to justify his wages.
  • Options
    Could one of our resident cybernats direct me to the list of CEOs who support independence for Scotland?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    “Just another arse licking friend of the establishment”

Not the most convincing argument it must be said. – besides, what does the CEO of Europe’s largest oil company know about business?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Salmond says the man is entitled to his personal opinion. An interesting change of tactics for the SNP. Is Salmond going soft?
    Do you think it would help Yes if he responded in the same manner as malcolmg?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Only losers like you are in thrall to troughers, Shell will toe the line as they do in all the countries they work in , will just mean one more arse their boss needs to lick to justify his wages.
    Indeed Comrade! We shall crush those capitalist running dogs like flies. Victory shall be ours! Roll on September 19th and the day of reckoning!
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and a couple of thoughts.

On the voter turnout, don't the majority of polls consistently overstate Labour and understate the Tories compared to actual turnout, with the odd notable and gold standard exceptions?

It may well be just rich pals of Cameron or whatever tag Malcolm wishes to give them who are suggesting it would be bad for Scotland to leave the UK but these "rich pals" employ hundreds of thousands of Scots and the companies they run contribute tens/hundreds of £millions to the exchequer. Maybe more of the comrade workers should remember without the rich capitalists who employ them, they would be unemployed.

Scotland already suffers from a seriously top-heavy public sector thanks to Labour ballooning it for 13 years. We are now seeing the price of that with councils closing offices which frankly should never have been opened in the first place. Sadly in Highlands, we are seeing important local offices shut so the council big wigs can protect their empires closer to home.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

As much of new oil and gas is being found in or near developing countries, the CEOs of Oil companies need to be very politically astute and excellent at risk management due to the huge cost of investment in E&P.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I do not see how any viable government could form from that outcome. It really would be a draw, and a replay in the autumn.

I think that Miliband will have enough seats to form a government myself, but Jack and Rod are formidably good predictors. A lot depends on how different the coalition makes things, so the past may be unreliable this time round.

There will be a low turnout next time round, apathy and the palpable lack of entusiasm will win out, so I cannot see many who did not vote in 2010 turning out this time.

JackW said:

An interesting data set.

It matches fairly closely, except the LibDem number which I have higher, the figures that are crunched in my ARSE.

The latest ARSE 2015 General Election projection published on PB on Tuesday showed :

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Good morning, everyone.

It'll be interesting to see whether those 2010 non-voters actually turn out, or whether the reds and purples will suffer premature jubilation on polling day.
  • Options

I do not see how any viable government could form from that outcome. It really would be a draw, and a replay in the autumn.

I think that Miliband will have enough seats to form a government myself, but Jack and Rod are formidably good predictors. A lot depends on how different the coalition makes things, so the past may be unreliable this time round.

There will be a low turnout next time round, apathy and the palpable lack of entusiasm will win out, so I cannot see many who did not vote in 2010 turning out this time.

JackW said:

An interesting data set.

Con/ Lib Dem coalition. It would be stable enough.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Don't you think you should declare your interest, Patrick :-)
  • Options
    Foxinsox [8.34am] Of course a viable government could form from Jack W's predicted result. It would just have to be a grand coalition. Given what it will be forced to do*, only extreme partisans would oppose such a development.

*Means-test Old Age Pensions; cash-limit NHS care for any individual; remove social housing tenants from high income areas etc etc
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Not really, as Patrick is only talking common sense which I support as opposed to the nonsense coming from certain of the Nats on the subject.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Shell has operating cash flows of around $40bn.

That makes it one of the four or five most cash generative companies in the world - alongside ExxonMobil, Apple, and very few others.

Now, you can argue that all the oil majors struggle with reserve replacement, that governments have been aggressive at reducing oil companies' take, and that they 'missed the boat' in unconventionals in the US. But you cannot argue that Shell is somehow struggling to "keep themselves afloat".
  • Options
    Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Not really, as Patrick is only talking common sense which I support as opposed to the nonsense coming from certain of the Nats on the subject.
    IIRC, Patrick works in PR at Shell. I was just making a joke.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    I do like OGH approach, batter the Hodges with article after article of reality that they then argue about the validity of and then now and again give them a straw to clutch. Well done sir
  • Options
    I cannot see a grand coalition that would undertake far more radical changes than a Con/LD government happening. This is fantasy politics.

Nor could I see a Continuity coalition, that would be the path to the fate of the National Liberals of the fifties. A Conservative minority govt with a replay within a year (possibly with three new leaders) would be on the cards.

Foxinsox [8.34am] Of course a viable government could form from Jack W's predicted result. It would just have to be a grand coalition. Given what it will be forced to do*, only extreme partisans would oppose such a development.

*Means-test Old Age Pensions; cash-limit NHS care for any individual; remove social housing tenants from high income areas etc etc

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited March 2014
    Foxinsox [8.47am] You are assuming that Labour is still a party of the centre-left. Study Ed M's reforms more closely, and their political background. "Left" (in the 20th century meaning of the word) is obsolete.
  • Options
    Basil is looking buoyant this morning and predicting a 2% Labour lead in the evening Yougov.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Risk management not PR! Those guys are the People's Front of Judea!
  • Options

I do like OGH approach, batter the Hodges with article after article of reality that they then argue about the validity of and then now and again give them a straw to clutch. Well done sir

Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

• Options

Basil is looking buoyant this morning and predicting a 2% Labour lead in the evening Yougov.

Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

• Options
    Goooooooooooooal!

And that is a hatrick!
  • Options
    Splitters!
    Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

• Options
    Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Isn't risk management just a specialist form of PR? Or is it the other way round?

;-)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

some multi millionaire pal of Cameron's
    Who is a Dutch citizen with a Masters in Chemical Engineering, a 31 year Shell Employee and was educated in Delft......exactly the circle Cameron moves in.......

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/who-we-are/leadership/executive-committee/ben-van-beurden.html
  • Options

JackW said:

An interesting data set.

ARSE latest numbers provide a majority for a Con/LibDem Coalition of 32 which is viable. Further that number would effectively increase by several more because of SF abstentionism.

My only caveat is that some of the seats are right at the very margin, presently favouring the Conservatives.

• Options
    Charles said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Isn't risk management just a specialist form of PR? Or is it the other way round?

;-)
    @Charles

Now you really are teasing! Isn't your affiliation very focused on Risk Management.

@rcs1000

Yes I was aware of Patrick's allegiance and knew you were joking. You may be aware that our business is very close to the O&G industries.
  • Options
    Financier said:

@Charles

Now you really are teasing! Isn't your affiliation very focused on Risk Management.

@rcs1000

Yes I was aware of Patrick's allegiance and knew you were joking. You may be aware that our business is very close to the O&G industries.

Personally I'm more focused on strategy, but risk management is at the heart of everything we do. Unlimited liability has a wonderful way of concentrating the mind.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

some multi millionaire pal of Cameron's
    Who is a Dutch citizen with a Masters in Chemical Engineering, a 31 year Shell Employee and was educated in Delft......exactly the circle Cameron moves in.......

http://www.shell.com/global/aboutshell/who-we-are/leadership/executive-committee/ben-van-beurden.html
    @CarlottaVance

That is far outside malcolmg's field of experience - have mercy - please do not stretch his mind too far at this early hour.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Financier said:

@Charles

@rcs1000

Personally I'm more focused on strategy, but risk management is at the heart of everything we do. Unlimited liability has a wonderful way of concentrating the mind.
    @Charles

Especially if it all goes t-ts up and the buck stops at you. The focus of unwanted attention at a board meeting is not an experience to desired.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Scottish independence introduces a bunch of uncertainties (currency, tax regime, investment credits, etc) and this simply makes allocating investment capital to Scotland instead of Qatar or the USA, for example, harder to justify at Business Plan time.

;-)
    @Charles

@rcs1000

We must also all be aware that @rcs1000 posts under the severe handicap of having grown up severely malnourished and deprived of confectionary by a wicked relative who it now appears was that notorious figure known locally as :

The Phantom Easter Egg Snatcher of Old Bedford Town.

• Options
    JackW said:

Financier said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

snip

Scottish independence introduces a bunch of uncertainties (currency, tax regime, investment credits, etc) and this simply makes allocating investment capital to Scotland instead of Qatar or the USA, for example, harder to justify at Business Plan time.

;-)
    @Charles

@rcs1000

We must also all be aware that @rcs1000 posts under the severe handicap of having grown up severely malnourished and deprived of confectionary by a wicked relative who it now appears was that notorious figure known locally as :

@JackW

So did he qualify and have to live under the stigma of Free School Meals? That would explain all.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    antifrank said:

Could one of our resident cybernats direct me to the list of CEOs who support independence for Scotland?

Who cares? They're all arse-licking lickspittles who should piss off out of Scotland.

• Options
    Financier said:

Charles said:

Financier said:

@Charles

@rcs1000

@Charles

Especially if it all goes t-ts up and the buck stops at you. The focus of unwanted attention at a board meeting is not an experience to desired.
    I've never had the experience of it all going t-ts up though...

Semi seriously, though, PR is effectively a specialist form of risk management (protecting the brand) plus some commercial aspects in promoting future growth
  • Options

Erm…no.
    Since what I do for a living is not really a secret let me describe. I have two jobs in my role:

I run the financial controls for our Upstream business – so identifying risks, designing the financial controls framework, implementing and testing the controls. We need to comply with Sarbanes Oxley – which is a burden. I spend quite some time with our external auditors. In this role I am a finance person (qualified accountant, fellow of my institute, etc).

I also run the Governance Risk and Assurance for our Gas business (part of Upstream). This means identifying the risks to achievement of corporate objectives, identifying and implementing actions to mitigate those risks, chairing Business Assurance Committee, design Assurance Plan, ensuring right directorships in subsidiaries, etc. In this role I am a risk management person (qualified risk manager, IRM member, etc)

Both roles, in somewhat different spaces, are about making sure we manage our risks and deliver what we promise/ meet our objectives. Requires alot of time with senior management discussing objectives, strategies, risks and actions. It is DOING.

PR is all about messaging, reputation management, spin, perceptions, communication. This is also vital stuff for a large company, especially one in a very political and public industry and with a huge brand to manage. But it is about SEEMING.

Here endeth the lesson.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Who cares? They're all arse-licking lickspittles who should piss off out of Scotland.

And the CEOs?
  • Options
    Financier said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

snip

;-)
    @Charles

@rcs1000

@JackW

So did he qualify and have to live under the stigma of Free School Meals? That would explain all.
    I'm not sure the school @rcs1000 attended, The Waxford Squeers Academy, catered for Free School Meals.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Erm…no.
    Since what I do for a living is not really a secret let me describe. I have two jobs in my role:

I run the financial controls for our Upstream business – so identifying risks, designing the financial controls framework, implementing and testing the controls. We need to comply with Sarbanes Oxley – which is a burden. I spend quite some time with our external auditors. In this role I am a finance person (qualified accountant, fellow of my institute, etc).

I also run the Governance Risk and Assurance for our Gas business (part of Upstream). This means identifying the risks to achievement of corporate objectives, identifying and implementing actions to mitigate those risks, chairing Business Assurance Committee, design Assurance Plan, ensuring right directorships in subsidiaries, etc. In this role I am a risk management person (qualified risk manager, IRM member, etc)

Both roles, in somewhat different spaces, are about making sure we manage our risks and deliver what we promise/ meet our objectives. Requires alot of time with senior management discussing objectives, strategies, risks and actions. It is DOING.

PR is all about messaging, reputation management, spin, perceptions, communication. This is also vital stuff for a large company, especially one in a very political and public industry and with a huge brand to manage. But it is about SEEMING.

Here endeth the lesson.

@Patrick

That is quite a handful and must require quite a bit of diplomacy at times.

We do a lot of risk management and assessment for many industries including O&G, globally. We model many 'what if' scenarios and also get engaged with probability theory.

Also we go into battle, on behalf of our clients, with organisations like EA, HSE and OSHA and their equivalents who often have a skewed (and partial) view of such matters.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    'Yes or No, the female vote is vital to outcome'
    - Well it's just very nice to feel wanted
    ... That's why the UK Government's welfare reforms are thought to have impacted disproportionately on women, given their statistical preponderance in the ranks of carers and part-time workers or their being engaged in low-wage sectors. And it's also why welfare is, as they say, a hot-button issue. Women who have been hit in their family's pockets have to believe that independence will bring them protection from the chill winds of Westminster-devised penalties before they will opt to let a Scottish government of whatever colour extend its control to full independence.

And it's why the Yes campaigns are making sure all their literature spells out the benefits for families, while the No variety are urging hanging on to the UK nurse for fear of something worse. A scare a day keeps self confidence at bay.

Tomorrow, Women for Independence launch the first of four videos, featuring 20 women from most of Scotland's social spectrum. Interestingly, it doesn't urge viewers to vote Yes, but to consider how important it is to vote in terms of their future. This particular group took a decision to run their own separate campaign because, they say, it's not just about women in an independent country; it's about women and personal independence.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/yes-or-no-the-female-vote-is-vital-to-outcome.23604495

• Options
    Patrick said:

Erm…no.

Here endeth the lesson.

I was teasing Patrick!

I know what risk management is... (I'd actually argue that PR is a form of risk management. The intangible value of a brand/reputation is huge and so needs to be risk managed the way that other assets are).
  • Options
    Just discovered that if you are meeting an Irish rugby fan for lunch at 1.10pm it is best not to describe the time as 1310
  • Options
    That is quite a handful and must require quite a bit of diplomacy at times.

My corporate persona is MUCH more measured, diplomatic, professional than my PB persona - where you get the real me, warts, rude words and all!
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    I must say I am most impressed with the maturity shown on this thread by YES supporters in response to Shell saying they would prefer Scotland to stay within the UK. It reassures me that if Scotland does vote YEs then its supporters can build a prosperous and forward looking Scotland
  • Options

Just discovered that if you are meeting an Irish rugby fan for lunch at 1.10pm it is best not to describe the time as 1310

Why? Not much happened except an ugly castle being built in Sligo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1310_in_Ireland
  • Options
    Charles said:

1310 relates to something that happened at Twickenham the weekend before last
  • Options
    Unconfirmed BBC reports indicate that Ed Miliband will today condemn the "utterly and disgraceful bonuses" being paid out by the John Lewis Partnership.

In a speech later today Mr Miliband will say that the 15% bonus on annual salaries to be paid to all staff of John Lewis and especially Waitrose was a clear signal that free coffee at Waitrose stores was a wicked and evil move intended to deprive Labour voters, who cannot afford prices at the top store, from receiving a hot drink during a bitter winter snap.

It is believed Mr Miliband will say :

"We need to ensure that these vastly overpaid check out woman and shelf stackers don't take the bread from the mouths of starving bankers and almost destitute MP's"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26462969
  • Options

Charles said:

Man, do I really need to put a smily face after every sarky remark? People are so po-faced these days

;-)
  • Options
    @Stuart_Dickson

I thought "Women For Independence" was a pressure group within Ukip campaigning for the fairer sex to be unchained from their kitchen sinks ?!?
  • Options
    JackW said:

@Stuart_Dickson

I thought "Women For Independence" was a pressure group within Ukip campaigning for the fairer sex to be unchained from their kitchen sinks ?!?

Sluts For Scotland has a ring to it.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited March 2014
    JackW said:

@Stuart_Dickson

I expect the associated posters to feature Rosie the Riveter for some reason.
  • Options

Charles said:

Just after 1 o'clock family members fainted around you when you offered to buy a round of drinks ?!?

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    I see John 'Free Coffee' Lewis has given all it's partners a 15% bonus.

What will Ed Miliband have to say about this attack on the cost of living?

• Options
    antifrank said:

JackW said:

@Stuart_Dickson

Mrs JackW will ring your neck if she gets hold of you !!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    JackW said:

antifrank said:

JackW said:

@Stuart_Dickson

Mrs JackW will ring your neck if she gets hold of you !!

Why? Does it have a bell on it?
  • Options
    If malcolmg spoke for an Independent Scotland, no CEO in their right mind would bother investing north of the border.
  • Options
    The Nats increasingly resemble the Black Knight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  • Options

The Nats increasingly resemble the Black Knight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Ok, you win the thread. Everyone else can go home now.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    OT EU Dombrovskis withdrew his candidacy for the EPP, so we're down to Barnier vs Juncker.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

If malcolmg spoke for an Independent Scotland, no CEO in their right mind would bother investing north of the border.

They wouldn't need investment. The country could be run by hot air from the SNP, and fuelled by the chips on their shoulders.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Man, do I really need to put a smily face after every sarky remark? People are so po-faced these days

;-)
    Cheer up! I, for one, needed it explaining.
    As a personality defect, and to save time, I don't generally follow or engage in team sport.
  • Options
    Can any of our Nats give an example of anyone opposed to Scots independence whose opinion they'd consider worth listening to?
  • Options

Can any of our Nats give an example of anyone opposed to Scots independence whose opinion they'd consider worth listening to?

If you are opposed to Scottish independence then your views are - by definition - not worth listening to.

• Options
    edited March 2014

They wouldn't need investment. The country could be run by hot air from the SNP, and fuelled by the chips on their shoulders.

The irony is that malcolmg 'claims' to work for a Blue Chip multinational with an impeccable financial pedigree.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Blimey, PB dancing to a Scottish jig again. You little tinkers just can't stop yourselves.
  • Options
    Financier said:

As much of new oil and gas is being found in or near developing countries, the CEOs of Oil companies need to be very politically astute and excellent at risk management due to the huge cost of investment in E&P.

Indeed.

Oil is typically found in countries that are violent, backward, corrupt, sectarian, neo-feudal kleptocracies. Iran; Saudi Arabia; Russia.

Scotland would thus be a very familiar business climate for Shell. Their CEO's point is simply that Shell has options and iScotland would not be the same place or present the same risks as does UK.

Have there been any Downfall parodies about Salmond yet?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,948

The irony is that malcolmg 'claims' to work for a Blue Chip multinational of impeccable financial stability.

He does.

Malcolmg is a straight down the line Scottish nationalist and makes no bones about it. There is no sophistry in what he says, he is completely honest about where he stands. I don't agree with his views, but good on him for not hiding them behind a veneer of progressiveness.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I know what risk management is... (I'd actually argue that PR is a form of risk management. The intangible value of a brand/reputation is huge and so needs to be risk managed the way that other assets are).

Indeed. One might call it RVAR - Reputational Value at Risk.

Or perhaps RCAR, but yes.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Clearly he'll insist they stop paying staff so much, and pay more tax instead.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1177583.ece
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Mr. Observer, 'progressiveness' is a silly term. Nobody's against progress. It might as well be 'goodyness'.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Ed will want them to share their bonus equitably with hard working nurses and teachers - via the exchequer..

• Options

Malcolmg is a straight down the line Scottish nationalist and makes no bones about it. There is no sophistry in what he says, he is completely honest about where he stands.

Yes, but so was the Black Knight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
This discussion has been closed.