Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Swinney slump continues – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,820
edited June 8 in General
The Swinney slump continues – politicalbetting.com

YouGov Holyrood constituency voting intention (13-17 May)Lab: 35% (+3 from 26-29 Apr)SNP: 34% (-2)Con: 13% (-3)Lib Dem: 10% (+1)Green: 5% (+2)https://t.co/yHr7luTcEs pic.twitter.com/NOyOkBwhpN

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,102
    edited May 21
    First!

Quite some time since I made the top spot…

Labour is probably sitting very pretty in Scotland given the ongoing deflation of the SNP. If the SNP falls below the tipping point they could be back on just a handful of seats.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,382
    edited May 21
    IanB2 said:

First!

Labour is probably sitting very pretty in Scotland given the ongoing deflation of the SNP. If the SNP falls below the tipping point they could be back on just a handful of seats.

The SNP have gone from being Useless to Swinney-dling the voters.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,440
    Top 3 like SNP
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,777
    Top 4 like the SNP in the next Commons
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,357
    IanB2 said:

First!

Run it through Electoral Calculus (yes, I know, UNS...) and I get 41 Labour seats to 8 SNP.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?type=scotland&SCOTCON=12&SCOTLAB=39&SCOTLIB=8&SCOTNAT=29&SCOTReform=4&SCOTGreen=7&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase

FPTP is a cruel mistress.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,260
    A couple of Crossovers!!! in the polling data there.

To be a poor leader of the SNP once is unfortunate. To be a poor leader of the SNP twice is downright careless.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,382

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

First!

Their problem is pretty simple - no ideas left in the tank. Heading towards 2 decades in office and all of the zeal has gone, replaced with lunatic policies which mostly turn off voters whilst daily politics issues like health and education get worse.

Swinney offers the same kind of relief as Sunak did after Truss - stability vs immediate risk of capsizing, but like Sunak's Tories the boat is still sinking.
    And no ships in the water.

Speaking today which did they ever sort out the major structural flaws in the ferries? Or will they sink as they start sailing Scottish waters?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,838
    IanB2 said:

First!

Asking for a friend.

Is still SNP policy to use the next Westminster election as a de facto independence referendum?
  • Options
    I have non-Covid man flu.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

First!

Their problem is pretty simple - no ideas left in the tank. Heading towards 2 decades in office and all of the zeal has gone, replaced with lunatic policies which mostly turn off voters whilst daily politics issues like health and education get worse.

Swinney offers the same kind of relief as Sunak did after Truss - stability vs immediate risk of capsizing, but like Sunak's Tories the boat is still sinking.

Speaking today which did they ever sort out the major structural flaws in the ferries? Or will they sink as they start sailing Scottish waters?
    The Black Sea Fleet looks to be in better condition than those ferries.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,777

IanB2 said:

First!

Run it through Electoral Calculus (yes, I know, UNS...) and I get 41 Labour seats to 8 SNP.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?type=scotland&SCOTCON=12&SCOTLAB=39&SCOTLIB=8&SCOTNAT=29&SCOTReform=4&SCOTGreen=7&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase

One less and they could slip to only 5th largest party, below the DUP.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,260

Get well soon. We need you fighting fit when Sunak calls the election tomorrow.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

First!

One less and they could slip to only 5th largest party, below the DUP.
    Worse than that.

We could see the Scottish Tories end up with more seats than the SNP.

Unlikely but not outside the realms of possibility.

I would laugh so hard if that happened I would inevitably break some ribs.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,526
    Last week, the Scottish government passed what was effectively a vote of no confidence … in itself. It declared a housing emergency after having been in government for 17 years. But why stop there? Our new leader, Honest John Swinney, should surely be declaring emergencies across the public sector in Scotland.

More than 700,000 people are on NHS waiting lists and record numbers are going private to avoid waiting for up to five years to have hips and knees replaced. Hundreds of criminals are being released this week onto the Scottish streets because of overcrowding in prisons. Drug deaths, already the worst in Europe, have gone up again by 10 per cent.

We are told that a quarter of children are in poverty; violence in schools is at record levels; social care is at a standstill. If these are not emergencies then I do not know what is. And do not even mention ferries, roads, recycling and other more mundane botch-ups.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp-scotland-permanent-state-emergency-jz7s0p07b
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,508
    Statement from Scarlett Johansson on the OpenAI situation.
    https://x.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1792679435701014908
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,073
    Scott_xP said:

Last week, the Scottish government passed what was effectively a vote of no confidence … in itself. It declared a housing emergency after having been in government for 17 years. But why stop there? Our new leader, Honest John Swinney, should surely be declaring emergencies across the public sector in Scotland.

More than 700,000 people are on NHS waiting lists and record numbers are going private to avoid waiting for up to five years to have hips and knees replaced. Hundreds of criminals are being released this week onto the Scottish streets because of overcrowding in prisons. Drug deaths, already the worst in Europe, have gone up again by 10 per cent.

We are told that a quarter of children are in poverty; violence in schools is at record levels; social care is at a standstill. If these are not emergencies then I do not know what is. And do not even mention ferries, roads, recycling and other more mundane botch-ups.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp-scotland-permanent-state-emergency-jz7s0p07b

Pretty much what I said. The problems are obvious. The solutions less so.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 406
    The wiki poll of polls has labour extending its lead, while both conservatives and reform decline. That has to be devastating for the government to observe. My own hypothesis is that this is the outcome of Sunak saying that it could be a hung parliament.... nobody is taking any chances.... ohhh this could get very very ugly for the right. The ice cane and went for populism and now something completely new is starting up. Further more. This was the last call for the radicalized boomer vote... by 2029 that voting segment will have shrunk definitively below electoral influence. The age of the pro eu, progressive millenial is upon us.
  • Options
    Exclusive:

David Cameron has written to Rishi Sunak warning that universities will face job losses and even closure if he pushes ahead with curbs to graduate visas

Sunak is weighing up measures to ensure only ‘best and brightest’ come to U.K.

Cameron: ‘One of the consequences of any restrictions on graduate visas is that universities will experience further financial difficulties — leading to job losses, closures and a reduction in research’

He highlights the ‘significant economic contribution’ that international students make to the economy

He also warns that it could damage Britain’s ‘soft power’

He joins a coalition of ministers opposed to hardline curbs on graduate visas including Gillian Keegan, the education secretary, Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor and James Cleverly, the home secretary

Ally of Sunak pushes back: ‘Ultimately ministers get lobbied and make a case for their equities but the PM has to take the right position for the country’

https://x.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1792815604681826523
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,762
    Nigelb said:

What a bunch of shysters OpenAI are. They ask her permission she refuses, so they just get someone (allegedly) to 'copy' her voice.

Don't expect them to treat you, your data, or your privacy, any differently.
  • Options
    Google DeepMind’s AlphaFold2 lets biologists predict how proteins fold. The recently announced AlphaFold3 does this for proteins and other biomolecules like DNA and RNA. Unlike its predecessor, AlphaFold3 will not be open-source.
    https://x.com/QuantaMagazine/status/179281703007407351
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,739
    edited May 21
    DavidL said:

Scotland, like other parts of the UK, is suffering the consequences of a very long period of inept government with politicians who are peculiarly uninterested in actually governing. They are much more interested in gestures, trivialities and positions which they think will help them win the next election.

So, inevitably, our health service is in crisis, education is not performing well, our infrastructure is inadequate, criminal justice is on its knees, social care is becoming unaffordable resulting in never ending paring to stretch what is available to cover unmet needs and our housing stock is not meeting demand, at least where people actually want to live. The cumulative consequence of these failures is an economy that is feeble and does not provide the tax base to fix the problems.

Swinney is not innocent of these failures as he has been an incompetent minister in various departments over the years, just as his predecessor was, but even I can feel a bit sorry for him given the size and complexity of the intray.

We desperately, urgently need to find ways to improve public services without throwing money we don’t have at them. There are no easy solutions to this. Simply blaming the current crop of politicians is simplistic and irrelevant. But they do need to at least start to address real issues rather than hand waving.

If you keep reading the article, the SNP actually score best on the economy compared with other issues (albeit still -24). It's climate change where they do worst! And together left of centre* parties make up 84% of vote intention in Scotland.

I know I bang this drum all the time but Scotland's economy isn't too shabby at all, by UK standards. We beat all of England except for London and the SE.

But you're right that public spending that is an issue, though some of that is inevitable given the highlands and islands, historical drug and alcohol issues and so on. Health inequality in Glasgow is just astonishing.

*Lib Dems are a bit odd and turning into a right wing party in some respects
  • Options

Exclusive:

David Cameron has written to Rishi Sunak warning that universities will face job losses and even closure if he pushes ahead with curbs to graduate visas

Sunak is weighing up measures to ensure only ‘best and brightest’ come to U.K.

Cameron: ‘One of the consequences of any restrictions on graduate visas is that universities will experience further financial difficulties — leading to job losses, closures and a reduction in research’

He highlights the ‘significant economic contribution’ that international students make to the economy

He also warns that it could damage Britain’s ‘soft power’

He joins a coalition of ministers opposed to hardline curbs on graduate visas including Gillian Keegan, the education secretary, Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor and James Cleverly, the home secretary

Ally of Sunak pushes back: ‘Ultimately ministers get lobbied and make a case for their equities but the PM has to take the right position for the country’

https://x.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1792815604681826523

Apart from "must make number go down" monomania, what the flip does Rishi think he's playing at?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scotland, like other parts of the UK, is suffering the consequences of a very long period of inept government with politicians who are peculiarly uninterested in actually governing. They are much more interested in gestures, trivialities and positions which they think will help them win the next election.

So, inevitably, our health service is in crisis, education is not performing well, our infrastructure is inadequate, criminal justice is on its knees, social care is becoming unaffordable resulting in never ending paring to stretch what is available to cover unmet needs and our housing stock is not meeting demand, at least where people actually want to live. The cumulative consequence of these failures is an economy that is feeble and does not provide the tax base to fix the problems.

Swinney is not innocent of these failures as he has been an incompetent minister in various departments over the years, just as his predecessor was, but even I can feel a bit sorry for him given the size and complexity of the intray.

We desperately, urgently need to find ways to improve public services without throwing money we don’t have at them. There are no easy solutions to this. Simply blaming the current crop of politicians is simplistic and irrelevant. But they do need to at least start to address real issues rather than hand waving.

No-one wants to have an honest discussion about the scope of government, of the national debt, and of tax levels. Government really should be doing less but doing it better, government finances have been totally killed by two massive recessions in little over a decade, housing is an expensive mess that lies behind a lot of other problems, and there is no more money thanks to the borrowing of the past two decades, the vast majority of which was to pay for current spending.

The same headlines and problems are all over the Western world, and there’s not a lot of politicians out there offering anything more than simplistic solutions to complex problems. Meanwhile, China is getting its communist tentacles everywhere around the world, and Russia is forcing the Europe to rapidly up its defence game.
  • Options

Apart from "must make number go down" monomania, what the flip does Rishi think he's playing at?

If Richi understood the game he was in, he would realise the only way for him to win, is not to play...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,647
    edited May 21
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

First!

The Black Sea Fleet looks to be in better condition than those ferries.
    They claim they are fixed.

For some reason I recall the scene from Slide Rule where NSN is shown a piece of rotten outer cover from R101. And when asked if it has all been replaced, the chap showing it to him replies “they say they have”.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

I was told confidently by someone who considers themselves to be well informed that the election will be in July. I told them equally confidently that this was nonsense, but there's clearly a view out there that an election is indeed imminent.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,054
    DavidL said:

We're spending the right money on the wrong things. Cut costs in school and hospital budgets, create a staffing and resources crisis which you have to throw even more money at in short-term emergency fixes.

The solution in the short term is to spend more money - fix the crumbling infrastructure, hire the staff, create an environment where things actually work. Then you don't need temp staff and emergency measures which cost so much more.

Plan the work, work the plan. Problem is that we have a revolving door of ministers in both governments with a need for very short term political fixes. So we spend £lots on stupid, make the problem worse, and then as always blame the users.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,946

I was told confidently by someone who considers themselves to be well informed that the election will be in July. I told them equally confidently that this was nonsense, but there's clearly a view out there that an election is indeed imminent.
    Who exactly has made this Delphic utterance?

Answer 'Moon Rabbit' and you can go straight to ConHome.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,283
    edited May 21
    Nigelb said:

Interesting. I shot a commercial using well known actor as the v-o. Unfortunately he arrived at the session blind drunk and it soon became obvious that he wasn't able to do it. The clients had spent a long time choosing and it was felt that even when he'd sobered up he wouldn't be able to do it. So someone had the bright idea of using the voice of his spitting image puppet who was available and could do it perfectly. The legalities were very foggy but sometimes needs must.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,674
    "Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

We urgently need to unwind the sector’s growing dependency on foreign students.

The graduate route should be scrapped and we must fundamentally rethink our International Education Strategy (IES), including the completely arbitrary target of attracting 600,000 foreign students pa"

https://x.com/RobertJenrick/status/1790345212193075467
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Even more importantly, there is a failure to recognise that the true purpose of prisons in all but the most serious cases is to reduce the risk the offender will do what he or she did again. That means ensuring that they have housing to go to, job opportunities, ongoing treatment for mental health and addiction, help in rebuilding their relationships with their families and communities. Early release simply abandons these goals that politicians won’t talk about because people are focused on punishment.

I was struck recently by the fact that in the US prisons are designated "correctional", the idea being that improvement is the goal, not merely penance.
  • Options

The LDs will be very pleased to have their third party spot back - and continue to deserve it, assuming (as I do) that they outpoll Reform.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,946
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

Even more importantly, there is a failure to recognise that the true purpose of prisons in all but the most serious cases is to reduce the risk the offender will do what he or she did again. That means ensuring that they have housing to go to, job opportunities, ongoing treatment for mental health and addiction, help in rebuilding their relationships with their families and communities. Early release simply abandons these goals that politicians won’t talk about because people are focused on punishment.

I was struck recently by the fact that in the US prisons are designated "correctional", the idea being that improvement is the goal, not merely penance.
    I take it you have never watched The Shawshank Redemption? Yeah, I know it was only a film but....
  • Options
    edited May 21
    In other news I hear that Leon is now definite that Israel was behind the Iranian ‘assassination’, because he’s heard that the name of the Mossad agent responsible is Eli Copter.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

I take it you have never watched The Shawshank Redemption? Yeah, I know it was only a film but....
    I didn't say they lived up to the name...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

The graduate route should be scrapped and we must fundamentally rethink our International Education Strategy (IES), including the completely arbitrary target of attracting 600,000 foreign students pa"

No problem! Simply provide the missing funding which the influx of mainly chinese students replaced.

You don't want to do that either? Oh. Bit stupid aren't you?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The LDs will be very pleased to have their third party spot back - and continue to deserve it, assuming (as I do) that they outpoll Reform.
    Don't worry if Reform do outpoll you, there is precedent.

Lib Dem - 7.9% of the vote got them 8 seats

UKIP - 12.6% of the vote got them 1 seat.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,050
    Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

What an extraordinary attitude towards a successful international service provider. Is this the second phase of the fuck business campaign?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

No problem! Simply provide the missing funding which the influx of mainly chinese students replaced.

Just goes to show that going abroad to study (Pennsylvania, Political Science in Jenrick's case) isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586

Nigelb said:

What a bunch of shysters OpenAI are. They ask her permission she refuses, so they just get someone (allegedly) to 'copy' her voice.

I suspect the current tech stock boom is driven by fear as much as greed. Either own OpenAI via Alphabet, or be owned by it
  • Options
    DavidL said:

To take the example of prisons the number of people we are locking up has been increasing at a time when crime has been decreasing. Why? Because politicians need to be seen to be tough on crime.

More importantly, 25% of the current prison population is on remand, that is awaiting trial. The backlog in our courts is costing us a fortune as well as creating serious injustices. This is also a consequence of the failure to develop cheaper alternatives like bail hostels.

There was a similar early release during Covid. More than half ended up back in jail in short order. More victims, more pressure on the system, more court time, bah.

The continuing rise in prison numbers, despite the program of prison building, has been predicted by everyone with some knowledge of the numbers.
    Government policy has been to knowingly make the problem worse.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

Just goes to show that going abroad to study (Pennsylvania, Political Science in Jenrick's case) isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    Its just adding. Basic maths. Today's Tories remind me of Baldrick - no matter how simple you try and make it they still can't add the beans together.

Why have we had such an influx of foreign students? Because of government policy! Cut funding by substituting in tuition fees. Great - but we could cut even more funding if universities can get even more fees. Which means foreign students - lets do that!

A few years later - why do we have all these Chinese students? Bloody foreigners, lets make them Go Home. [but what about funding?] Funding? Nothing to do with the government, we don't fund you, your problem, we must do what is Right For Britain.

And still a dogged handful of people insist that we should vote for them.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,155
    Good morning, everyone.

I have a passing acquaintance with a voice actor who, some time ago, told me that some were hired to do work, unaware their voices were being used to train AI. I don't know if that was straight-up cloning or simply to create/hone the process of enabling generation/cloning but it's still pretty wretched.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The answer is, I think, a gradual process (ha!) of reforming and improving the system. Big bangs tend to be absurdly expensive and usually fail.

It needs to be thought of as a continuous effort - and the benefits will be a few prevent here and there. But compounded over time, it will turn the ship around.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,460

DavidL said:

We're spending the right money on the wrong things. Cut costs in school and hospital budgets, create a staffing and resources crisis which you have to throw even more money at in short-term emergency fixes.

The solution in the short term is to spend more money - fix the crumbling infrastructure, hire the staff, create an environment where things actually work. Then you don't need temp staff and emergency measures which cost so much more.

Plan the work, work the plan. Problem is that we have a revolving door of ministers in both governments with a need for very short term political fixes. So we spend £lots on stupid, make the problem worse, and then as always blame the users.
    Your 'short term' would be at least five years and probably more than ten years.

Assuming it worked, which is doubtful.

And that 'events' do not intervene.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

In most cases it clearly isn't, though.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

What an extraordinary attitude towards a successful international service provider. Is this the second phase of the fuck business campaign?
    It's the terminal phase of a fuck business government.
    With no guarantee its replacement will be any great improvement.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

Pretty sure he gets redeemed despite, not because of, the system
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

When I do my regular compliance training for new starters I remind them of the following stark fact.

10% of American prisoners will be raped.

I then segue into discussions about the Natwest Three & others then remind staff that we have a very one sided extradition treaty with the States.

It is fair to say I do get their attention in these compliance sessions.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

Its just adding. Basic maths. Today's Tories remind me of Baldrick - no matter how simple you try and make it they still can't add the beans together.

Why have we had such an influx of foreign students? Because of government policy! Cut funding by substituting in tuition fees. Great - but we could cut even more funding if universities can get even more fees. Which means foreign students - lets do that!

A few years later - why do we have all these Chinese students? Bloody foreigners, lets make them Go Home. [but what about funding?] Funding? Nothing to do with the government, we don't fund you, your problem, we must do what is Right For Britain.

If government were serious about the benefits of university education, they'd be thinking more about this problem.

https://tomblomfield.com/post/750852175114174464/taking-risk
    I just spent a week talking with some exceptional students from three of the UK’s top universities; Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial College. Along with UCL, these British universities represent 4 of the top 10 universities in the world. The US - a country with 5x more people and 8x higher GDP - has the same number of universities in the global top 10.
    On these visits, I was struck by the world-class quality of technical talent, especially in AI and biosciences. But I was also struck by something else. After their studies, most of these smart young people wanted to go and work at companies like McKinsey, Goldman Sachs or Google.
    I now live in San Francisco and invest in early-stage startups at Y Combinator, and it’s striking how undergraduates at top US universities start companies at more than 5x the rate of their British-educated peers. Oxford is ranked 50th in the world, while Cambridge is 61st. Imperial just makes the list at #100. I have been thinking a lot about why this is. The UK certainly doesn’t lack the talent or education, and I don’t think it’s any longer about access to capital.
    People like to talk about the role of government incentives, but San Francisco politicians certainly haven’t done much to help the startup ecosystem over the last few years, while the UK government has passed a raft of supportive measures.
    Instead, I think it’s something more deep-rooted - in the UK, the ideas of taking risk and of brazen, commercial ambition are seen as
    negatives...

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,240
    No-one has yet mentioned, let alone derided, the fact that the SNP have had a chance to appoint their best chance of renewal as leader and have blown it in appointing Yousaf (52/48) and blown it again in appointing (by coronation) a steady as you go, at least he hasn't been arrested, really decent old timer who failed to deal with the hard questions at referendum time.

As a consequence of which, when K Forbes does become leader, which she will unless she joins the Tories first, it will be of a party in a position of coming second and with absolutely zero chance of independence within decades.

Betting post: I suggest she will be next leader of the SNP (60% probability). The main risks are as above, or that she will decide being a mother is more fun.

(On religion, PBers and politics anoraks generally forget that among the ordinary mainstream population, they don't go to church and don't sing unaccompanied psalms to tuneless drones, but they admire and respect those who do).
  • Options

DavidL said:

The answer is, I think, a gradual process (ha!) of reforming and improving the system. Big bangs tend to be absurdly expensive and usually fail.

It needs to be thought of as a continuous effort - and the benefits will be a few prevent here and there. But compounded over time, it will turn the ship around.
    I would suggest that anything that promises to be 'world beating' or 'biggest in Europe' should have its predicted costs tripled and predicted timescale doubled when assessing its potential effects.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,283

IanB2 said:

Don't worry if Reform do outpoll you, there is precedent.

Lib Dem - 7.9% of the vote got them 8 seats

UKIP - 12.6% of the vote got them 1 seat.
    Obviously a better class of voter
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I have a passing acquaintance with a voice actor who, some time ago, told me that some were hired to do work, unaware their voices were being used to train AI. I don't know if that was straight-up cloning or simply to create/hone the process of enabling generation/cloning but it's still pretty wretched.

The interaction between actors and AI, was one of the issues behind the American actors going on strike last year.

It’s not so much of a problem if you’re Scarlett Johansson and can kick up a massive stink about it, but for less well-known actors it threatens to put many of them out of business.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

If government were serious about the benefits of university education, they'd be thinking more about this problem.

I just spent a week talking with some exceptional students from three of the UK’s top universities; Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial College. Along with UCL, these British universities represent 4 of the top 10 universities in the world. The US - a country with 5x more people and 8x higher GDP - has the same number of universities in the global top 10.
    On these visits, I was struck by the world-class quality of technical talent, especially in AI and biosciences. But I was also struck by something else. After their studies, most of these smart young people wanted to go and work at companies like McKinsey, Goldman Sachs or Google.
    I now live in San Francisco and invest in early-stage startups at Y Combinator, and it’s striking how undergraduates at top US universities start companies at more than 5x the rate of their British-educated peers. Oxford is ranked 50th in the world, while Cambridge is 61st. Imperial just makes the list at #100. I have been thinking a lot about why this is. The UK certainly doesn’t lack the talent or education, and I don’t think it’s any longer about access to capital.
    People like to talk about the role of government incentives, but San Francisco politicians certainly haven’t done much to help the startup ecosystem over the last few years, while the UK government has passed a raft of supportive measures.
    Instead, I think it’s something more deep-rooted - in the UK, the ideas of taking risk and of brazen, commercial ambition are seen as
    negatives...

Interesting; but it would be useful to know also how UK compares in this regard with France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Australia. The USA is a very distinctive culture. We don't often ask why is it that USA and Mexico, its large immediate neighbour, are so different.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Your 'short term' would be at least five years and probably more than ten years.

More than a parliamentary term? Oh My God!!!!

What is the alternative? You say it is "doubtful" that spending money on permanent staff (cheaper) would work vs the current crisis spending on temps and moving from crisis to crisis (more expensive). Your proposal is?

Short-termism is a disease which has done serious damage to both our economy and our political system. We have weaponised the stock exchange so that businesses operate on a quarterly basis, focused on keeping the speculators happy in the immediate term rather than focusing on long term value.

Same in pur politics. We need services - education, healthcare, transport, utilities, defence etc - planned on a longer cycle than the next election. Is that not self-evident? Again, what is your alternative?
  • Options
    megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

I suspect the current tech stock boom is driven by fear as much as greed. Either own OpenAI via Alphabet, or be owned by it
    Fear, greed, and perhaps stupidity.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

negatives...

For British universities and genius students where is the reward? America encourages enterprise. Britain demands it be flogged off for profit now and who cares about the future look at the profit I just made.

We say we want to replicate the US tech companies. But sell off ARM to the highest foreign bidder...
  • Options

DavidL said:

When the solution is to spend more money, further analysis is needed. We already are borrowing £150 billion pa, and our current debt, deficit and interest payments are heading towards crippling levels. Taxes are highish, and, according to PB/media generally, nothing works and everything is broken.

Only three ways apply to spending more until the promised growth arrives: borrowing more, taxing more or cutting (massively) elsewhere.

Do let us know the plan.
  • Options
    Tech companies have spent tens of billions chasing the dream of autonomous cars.

Tesla are delivering way below promises. Apple have abandoned the idea. Aside from robotaxis in some heavily-geofenced areas, Waymo et al have nothing for the consumer.

What are the chances that these investments prove to be a dead-end, and most of that 'investment' wasted?

(I think the traditional car companies have a better approach by slowly improving driver aids, rather than going for the (so far) illusionary level-5 fully automated dream.)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

negatives...

Interesting; but it would be useful to know also how UK compares in this regard with France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Australia. The USA is a very distinctive culture. We don't often ask why is it that USA and Mexico, its large immediate neighbour, are so different.
    I think it’s mostly to do with the distinctly American attitude to startups, venture capital, and business successes - and failures. Many of the top British graduates end up in the States as well, either for work or further study and building contacts, but as described in the piece many more take a risk-free option of a top 5% salary at a consulting house or large tech firm, rather than taking the entrepreneurial route.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The problem can be summed up in two words: virtue signalling.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,412
    megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

Has anyone found any viable use for this yet? When I have tried using it for work it's full of so many errors that it's quicker to do the research and writing myself. It can be useful for getting ideas, but most of the stuff it churns out (for proposals etc) is derivative and obvious. I'm interested but as yet far from converted.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

negatives...

Land ownership is good, work is something for the lower orders and innovation is a dangerous disruption of socioeconomic stability.

It started in feudalism and echoes down via Jane Austen and To The Manor Born to the renterism of today.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

No-one has yet mentioned, let alone derided, the fact that the SNP have had a chance to appoint their best chance of renewal as leader and have blown it in appointing Yousaf (52/48) and blown it again in appointing (by coronation) a steady as you go, at least he hasn't been arrested, really decent old timer who failed to deal with the hard questions at referendum time.

As a consequence of which, when K Forbes does become leader, which she will unless she joins the Tories first, it will be of a party in a position of coming second and with absolutely zero chance of independence within decades.

Betting post: I suggest she will be next leader of the SNP (60% probability). The main risks are as above, or that she will decide being a mother is more fun.

(On religion, PBers and politics anoraks generally forget that among the ordinary mainstream population, they don't go to church and don't sing unaccompanied psalms to tuneless drones, but they admire and respect those who do).

I disagree.

Right-wing parties make up a small minority of voters in Scotland according to the latest polls. There are no votes there. Kate Forbes might win Moray, some Aberdeenshire seats and errrr...

And while Labour now have a lead in Scotland, it's not like the SNP have crashed. What's even more impressive is that a SNP to Labour or Green switch is quite an easy one, ideologically speaking, yet the SNP have managed to cling onto most of their supporters.

The SNP have, quite sensibly, recognised they have lost the next couple of elections and gone for a sedate cruise into the political wilderness. They need to ruffle as few feathers as possible to retain what donations, legacies and short money they can. From there they can rebuild.

I remind you that this is the party of the motorhome, currently polling on 29% in a crowded left field!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,257
    On the Holyrood figures with clear Labour leads at constituency and regional list level it does look like Scottish Labour will return to power in Edinburgh at the next Scottish Parliament election for the first time since 2007.

At Westminster too they now lead in Scottish as well as English and Welsh polls and are heading for a UK Labour majority. Some comfort for Scottish Tories though in that the poll suggests a small swing from SNP to Conservative at Westminster which suggests they should hold or even gain seats in Scotland in contrast to 1997
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

When the solution is to spend more money, further analysis is needed. We already are borrowing £150 billion pa, and our current debt, deficit and interest payments are heading towards crippling levels. Taxes are highish, and, according to PB/media generally, nothing works and everything is broken.

Only three ways apply to spending more until the promised growth arrives: borrowing more, taxing more or cutting (massively) elsewhere.

Do let us know the plan.
    We can always find money to spend in a crisis - wasteful but sometimes you can't afford not to spend money. We need to redirect money from the high cost short term to the low cost long term. That means pain now to save long term. And we're already in pain. Better to be in pain for a good reason than in pain because we have a Tory government burning money on nonsense like Rwanda or handing it to Teesport developers. You can find money for that...
  • Options

Tech companies have spent tens of billions chasing the dream of autonomous cars.

Tesla are delivering way below promises. Apple have abandoned the idea. Aside from robotaxis in some heavily-geofenced areas, Waymo et al have nothing for the consumer.

What are the chances that these investments prove to be a dead-end, and most of that 'investment' wasted?

(I think the traditional car companies have a better approach by slowly improving driver aids, rather than going for the (so far) illusionary level-5 fully automated dream.)

One of the best self-driving systems so far, with very little fanfare, is the one in the new S-Class. Probably the most innovative car of all time in its various iterations.

The tech companies make a lot of noise, but keep finding more and more edge cases that cause problems. They’re damn close to being incompatible with roads used by others, outside a very tightly controlled environment. As has been said many times, it’s not a 90%-10% problem, it’s a 99.99%-0.01% problem.

I suspect that what’s needed to properly develop them is a new city built around them, with total grade separation of pedestrians and cyclists from the roadway. Perhaps the Saudis will take up that project.
  • Options
    edited May 21
    Now will politicians take microplastics seriously ... ?

Microplastics found in every human testicle in study
    Scientists say discovery may be linked to decades-long decline in sperm counts in men around the world
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/20/microplastics-human-testicles-study-sperm-counts
  • Options
    edited May 21
    "All-knowing Alwen has her chance to come clean
    Nick Wallis
    Tue 21 May 2024"

https://www.postofficescandal.uk/post/sleepy-lyons/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tks-ByeW9k
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

OK, lets try it on.
    SNP failure to build new ferries. Cause: Virtue Signalling?
    SNP failure to invest in A9 and A96 dualling. Cause: Virtue Signalling?
    SNP failure to fund councils, especially outside the central belt. Cause: Virtue Signalling?

etc etc

Virtue Signalling?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

One of the best self-driving systems so far, with very little fanfare, is the one in the new S-Class. Probably the most innovative car of all time in its various iterations.

The tech companies make a lot of noise, but keep finding more and more edge cases that cause problems. They’re damn close to being incompatible with roads used by others, outside a very tightly controlled environment. As has been said many times, it’s not a 90%-10% problem, it’s a 99.99%-0.01% problem.

I suspect that what’s needed to properly develop them is a new city built around them, with total grade separation of pedestrians and cyclists from the roadway. Perhaps the Saudis will take up that project.
    And yet the current practice is the encourage the mixing of traffic in built up areas (hence why most new estates don't have pavements).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,580
    edited May 21
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Pretty much what I said. The problems are obvious. The solutions less so.
    There are fairly obvious things to do about prisons. They were also obvious 2 or 3 years ago.

(TBF I'm assuming similar trends across home nations)

Period Prison population
    remand total

30-Jun-2008 13,440 83,194
    30-Jun-2009 13,276 83,391
    30-Jun-2010 13,004 85,002
    30-Jun-2011 12,464 85,374
    30-Jun-2012 11,324 86,048
    30-Jun-2013 10,971 83,842
    30-Jun-2014 12,197 85,509
    30-Jun-2015 11,785 86,193
    30-Jun-2016 9,288 85,134
    30-Jun-2017 9,638 85,863
    30-Jun-2018 9,285 82,773
    30-Jun-2019 9,145 82,710
    30-Jun-2020 11,388 79,514
    30-Jun-2021 12,727 78,324
    30-Jun-2022 13,409 80,659
    30-Jun-2023 15,523 85,851
    31-Mar-2024 16,458 87,869
  • Options

megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

Has anyone found any viable use for this yet? When I have tried using it for work it's full of so many errors that it's quicker to do the research and writing myself. It can be useful for getting ideas, but most of the stuff it churns out (for proposals etc) is derivative and obvious. I'm interested but as yet far from converted.
    I have not usefully interacted with it first hand, no. But there was some author writing in the spectator the other day saying it offers human level editing services. If that's right then low level human facing roles like call centres and hotel reception should be a doddle fairly soon.
  • Options

DavidL said:

What is the alternative? You say it is "doubtful" that spending money on permanent staff (cheaper) would work vs the current crisis spending on temps and moving from crisis to crisis (more expensive). Your proposal is?

Short-termism is a disease which has done serious damage to both our economy and our political system. We have weaponised the stock exchange so that businesses operate on a quarterly basis, focused on keeping the speculators happy in the immediate term rather than focusing on long term value.

Same in pur politics. We need services - education, healthcare, transport, utilities, defence etc - planned on a longer cycle than the next election. Is that not self-evident? Again, what is your alternative?
    Short term or long term it doesn't matter if the money is spent inefficiently.

And the assumption that spending more money will somehow be spent more efficiently than what is currently being spent is more than optimistic.

The law of diminishing returns almost always applies to government spending.

Still if you're able to convince the public sector workforce to forego pay rises for the next five years so that extra money can be found to resolve long term problems then go for it.

But you don't have to because Wes Streeting will be having a go at his long term reforms later this year.

And immediately running into the opposition of all the vested interests.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

OK, lets try it on.
    SNP failure to build new ferries. Cause: Virtue Signalling?
    SNP failure to invest in A9 and A96 dualling. Cause: Virtue Signalling?
    SNP failure to fund councils, especially outside the central belt. Cause: Virtue Signalling?

etc etc

Virtue Signalling?
    Be fair, the SNP failure to deliver any project or initiative to better the lives of their voters has been done in a uniquely Scottish way, with a Saltire prominently attached to every debacle.
  • Options
    a
    megasaur said:

megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

I have not usefully interacted with it first hand, no. But there was some author writing in the spectator the other day saying it offers human level editing services. If that's right then low level human facing roles like call centres and hotel reception should be a doddle fairly soon.
    “AI” has the detailed accuracy of a slightly drunk Golden Retriever.

Good for hammering out post-lagershed grade opinion articles.

Writing software that runs, not so much.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,988
    edited May 21
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

negatives...

I welcome the idea of an international comparison, but such a comparison has to make sure the differences in resarch "systems" are taken into consideration. Outside of medicine most applied research in the UK is carried out at universities. In Australia much of the research that has commercial potential is carried out in CSIRO a research institute that covers many academic fields and spans the nation. When I worked there 25 years ago (:-o) there was a strong push to get spin-offs companies set up fron CSIRO research. A comparison of Australian unis and British unis might show similar level of commercial spin off success, but in practice Australia might be more sucessful in spin-offs once CSIRO is taken into account.

Every country has a different approach to RnD and a quick analysis blinkered by the UK approach would result in a biassed picture.
  • Options
    @snapperup

If, as she herself now seems to suggest, Nicola Sturgeon was a divisive figure that many people chose not to listen to, why was Scotland's entire public communication response in
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"Robert Jenrick
    @RobertJenrick

negatives...

Would it ?
    We should be comparing ourselves with the higher growth western economies - I thought that was supposed to be the point of Brexit ?

None of your comparators have quite our strength at the top end of the university system, for a start.

Ycombinator (which is where this vcap guy hails from) is particularly interesting from our point of view, as it's very early stage stuff, and relatively small investments (starting around
    $500k).

And he's not talking about the follow on funding problem (which we obsess over, and which is a separate problem), but the fact that so few of our STEM grads become entrepreneurs.

A different perspective would be to ask how somewhere like South Korea gets it right.
  • Options
    megasaur said:

megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

It’s surprising that hotel reception hasn’t been automated, at least at the low end of the market. Airlines realised a long time ago that economy customers will happily scan their own passports and label their own bags, if it’s faster than waiting for a human to check you in and saves a few quid on the ticket. You could add a chat bot the guests can connect to if they have any questions.

It won’t happen at 5* hotels though, for the same reason the airlines still look after their first class passengers personally.
  • Options

DavidL said:

And the assumption that spending more money will somehow be spent more efficiently than what is currently being spent is more than optimistic.

Still if you're able to convince the public sector workforce to forego pay rises for the next five years so that extra money can be found to resolve long term problems then go for it.

But you don't have to because Wes Streeting will be having a go at his long term reforms later this year.

We aren't going to be spending more money. We're going to be spending less money. Full time permanent staff in a properly resourced department cost less than a department in endless crisis full of agency staff.

We're back to people being able to add some beans by the look of it...
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,065
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Do let us know the plan.
    Tax more. The grants to businesses and the furlough pay were over-generous during COVID lockdown, then when Russia/Ukraine hit we paid the electricity bills of people who can afford to go to Disneyland for their holidays.
    The money needs to be paid back to the government to cut the debt.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,988

a

megasaur said:

megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

My similie is:
    AI is like taking with a drunk professor. He gets all excited and says a lot of things which sound plausible. But too often you find that he is spouting a mixture of truth and crap and you are left trying to work out which is which.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,580
    To make the prisons population point further.

The UK's not-on-remand prison population.

Period Non-remand prison population

30/06/08 69754
    30/06/09 70115
    30/06/10 71998
    30/06/11 72910
    30/06/12 74724
    30/06/13 72871
    30/06/14 73312
    30/06/15 74408
    30/06/16 75846
    30/06/17 76225
    30/06/18 73488
    30/06/19 73565
    30/06/20 68126
    30/06/21 65597
    30/06/22 67250
    30/06/23 70328
    31/03/24 71411
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,937
    On the polling, I was idly wondering if Labour is benefiting from having continuity of leadership. Starmer has now been leader for four years, Sarwar for over three (and replaced a dud).
    By contrast, both the SNP and the UK Tories have had three leaders in that time.
    Starmer may not be to everybody's taste, but at least you know what you're getting.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

a

megasaur said:

megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

My similie is:
    AI is like taking with a drunk professor. He gets all excited and says a lot of things which sound plausible. But too often you find that he is spouting a mixture of truth and crap and you are left trying to work out which is which.
    It’s the confident spouting of bollocks that’s the problem. It needs to learn to fact-check its own output before presenting it to the human. It’s not difficult to imagine a positive feedback loop developing over time, where it over-relies on its own previous assertions over verifiable facts, and starts telling everyone that black is white.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Do let us know the plan.
    We can always find money to spend in a crisis - wasteful but sometimes you can't afford not to spend money. We need to redirect money from the high cost short term to the low cost long term. That means pain now to save long term. And we're already in pain. Better to be in pain for a good reason than in pain because we have a Tory government burning money on nonsense like Rwanda or handing it to Teesport developers. You can find money for that...
    Okay some pain now for long term benefits.

1) Higher taxes for the rich and property owners

2) Higher productivity and retirement age extension for workers

3) Lower spending on oldies and poor

A bit of pain all round, we're all in this together right, and if you're a rich, property owning oldie more than a bit.

And if any public sector worker is unable to increase output then its a pay freeze while the great long term investment and reform is done.

I'm fine with this - I'll pay a bit more tax, I'll delay my retirement for three months beyond what I expected, I'll receive six months less state pension.

But you go and get the rest of the country to accept their share of the pain.

No exceptions.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

Do let us know the plan.
    Okay some pain now for long term benefits.

1) Higher taxes for the rich and property owners

2) Higher productivity and retirement age extension for workers

3) Lower spending on oldies and poor

A bit of pain all round, we're all in this together right, and if you're a rich, property owning oldie more than a bit.

And if any public sector worker is unable to increase output then its a pay freeze while the great long term investment and reform is done.

I'm fine with this - I'll pay a bit more tax, I'll delay my retirement for three months beyond what I expected, I'll receive six months less state pension.

But you go and get the rest of the country to accept their share of the pain.

No exceptions.
    You do understand that *we're already doing what you are warning me not to do*

Surely.
  • Options
    @MattChorley
    Another defection…

After eight incredible years at The Times, including four years having the time of my life on Times Radio, I’m slightly stunned to be joining the amazing team at BBC Radio 5Live to launch a brand new daily politics show in the autumn.

It’s exactly 20 years since this Somerset boy arrived in London with his three A levels, 100 words per minute shorthand, vast collection of Elton John records and a dream. But I could never have dreamt that one day I’d make it to the actual BBC, and in a huge general election year too.
  • Options
    Blimey

Trump posts a new ad foreshadowing a second Trump term that says he will create a “UNIFIED REICH,” echoing Nazi Germany
    https://x.com/BidenHQ/status/1792729818443727313
    https://x.com/BidenHQ/status/1792729818443727313

This is the actual video. The 'Unified Reich' graphic is faint, but it's certainly there.
    https://x.com/waltywang/status/1792730656465957078

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,349

On the polling, I was idly wondering if Labour is benefiting from having continuity of leadership. Starmer has now been leader for four years, Sarwar for over three (and replaced a dud).
    By contrast, both the SNP and the UK Tories have had three leaders in that time.
    Starmer may not be to everybody's taste, but at least you know what you're getting.

Not a bad shout. People don't react well to chaos.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 577

DavidL said:

We aren't going to be spending more money. We're going to be spending less money. Full time permanent staff in a properly resourced department cost less than a department in endless crisis full of agency staff.

We're back to people being able to add some beans by the look of it...
    I'd be interested to know how common this is across the public sector. In the government programme where I'm working at the moment, only about 20-25% of the staff are permanent Civil Servants, because the salaries are too low to be able to recruit anyone. So instead of paying (say) £80k per year for somebody like me, they end up paying my employer £1xxx per day. So instead of an actual annual cost of £120k or so they end up paying £350k.

This is normal for all government IT projects that I know of.

Sure, a few of the project team are better resourced as specialist external consultants, but shall we say on my programme of about 100 at least 50 ought to be staff not contractors? That's £11m a year wasted right there, simply by not paying market rates. In one small programme, in one small cog of the national machine. In an organisation where there is no money to do anything not viewed as critical, and needs massive investment just to catch up.

Is this a problem because it's IT in London, or more widespread?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,349
    edited May 21
    More In Common says as you were this week
    🌹 Labour 43% (-)
    🌳Conservatives 27% (+1)
    🔶Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    🟣Reform UK 11% (-)
    💚Greens 6% (+1)

N: 2308
    17-19/5
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,417
    megasaur said:

megasaur said:

Nigelb said:

Yesterday, I had to phone National Savings (on 08055 007 007 which you'd think MI6 would have claimed, if you want to try) and found myself speaking to a chatbot. By coincidence, my next call was to my GP in order to set a PIN for their new virtual receptionist, which also turns out to be a voice chatbot and not, as I had expected, yet another screen-based system.
This discussion has been closed.