Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Opinium poll for the Observer sees the LAB share

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2014
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

isam said:

I'd take 19% and no seats, and the LDs getting 28 seats with 10% just to see them try and justify it with a straight face!

To put that into context, were those vote shares realised under a fully proportional list PR system (and obviously, changing the system would change how people voted so I'm not suggesting we can read straight across), the number of MPs would be something like:

Lab: 215
    Con: 183
    UKIP: 120
    LD: 63
    Others: 69
    Personally I think pr/av etc is too complicated for voters... Having one box to tick makes it nice and easy

My solution would be to have 630 constituencies and allocate the other 20 seats on national vote share. Something like one seat for each five percent. So if the results were as this poll suggested, ukip could choose 3 candidates to represent them in the House of Commons and their constituency would be 19% of the country spread about
    You then end up with 20 second-class MPs who are not elected by their constituents but from the scraps from the master's table.
    So you'd rather 25% of people that bother to vote were unrepresented, while some parties have 29 more MPs on half the vote of other parties. Fair enough, each to their own,

Many of the 20 MPs you call seconds class would be from the 20 constituencies that were abolished anyway, but at least parties that get decent vote nationwide would be able to represent the nations wishes
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Scott_P said:

No party does infighting better than the Tories

Gordon Brown didn't plot Tony's downfall for 10 years. No, siree
    Crap plot, if it took ten years. Which side are you on Team Boris or Team Gideon?
    It is just a duel, 'pouter.

You need to dine at the Bullingdon not a food bank to understand.

They will both be sober in the morning.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Favourite Dan Hodges Headlines quoted on PB:

Sun comes out is bad news for Ed Miliband
    Two plus Two equaling four is bad news for Ed Miliband
    Marginal voter losing the tv remote is bad news for Ed Miliband
    Floating voter finding lost sock in the fridge is bad news for Ed Miliband
    Labour majority will be bad news for Ed Miliband
    Curtains clashing with your wallpaper is bad news for Ed Miliband

In other news strange how the last Populus poll was given the full squirrel treatment on here and produce a full two posts, whilst todays Opinium gave us a bit of excitement among the usual suspects, despite both having the same Labour lead percentage.

Show me the crossover......Show me the crossover!

Erm,were you on a train with nigel farage recently by any chance?
    Are you with Team Boris or Team Gideon?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    AveryLP said:

Scott_P said:

No party does infighting better than the Tories

Gordon Brown didn't plot Tony's downfall for 10 years. No, siree
    Crap plot, if it took ten years. Which side are you on Team Boris or Team Gideon?
    It is just a duel, 'pouter.

You need to dine at the Bullingdon not a food bank to understand.

They will both be sober in the morning.
    It's all very entertaining though. Go Team Boris!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited March 2014

Toms said:

With all these polls, is it possible to contract battle fatigue before the election even starts?

Who needs polls, Gideon and Boris are doing the Battle of the Bullingdons.
    Rage of Boris at 'Osborne the liar.'

The simmering ‘Boris versus George’ leadership feud burst into the open over reports that Mr Osborne had ‘delivered personally’ a message to Mr Johnson that David Cameron wants him to stand as a parliamentary candidate at the next Election.

The aim was said to be to force Mr Johnson to prove his loyalty by ‘pinning his political fate to that of the Prime Minister’. But it sparked a fierce backlash from Mr Johnson.

A well-placed source says that, when he was told Mr Osborne had approached him about the matter, the Mayor exclaimed: ‘Bull****! There has been no such conversation. They are trying to tie me in.’

Mr Johnson believes the manoeuvre is a ploy to ensure he gets equal blame if the Tories lose power, and make it easier for Mr Osborne to beat him in a subsequent race to succeed Mr Cameron.

There is a growing rift between the two men, now seen as the main candidates in the race to succeed Mr Cameron in the event of a Tory flop at the next Election.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2571103/Rage-Boris-Osborne-liar-Johnson-savage-attack-dirty-tricks-plot-No11-derail-leadership-hopes.html

A fop flop? Preposterous!

*chortle*
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081
    edited March 2014

Are you with Team Boris...?

Team Alexander, surely?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Toms said:

With all these polls, is it possible to contract battle fatigue before the election even starts?

Who needs polls, Gideon and Boris are doing the Battle of the Bullingdons.
    The simmering ‘Boris versus George’ leadership feud burst into the open over reports that Mr Osborne had ‘delivered personally’ a message to Mr Johnson that David Cameron wants him to stand as a parliamentary candidate at the next Election.

The aim was said to be to force Mr Johnson to prove his loyalty by ‘pinning his political fate to that of the Prime Minister’. But it sparked a fierce backlash from Mr Johnson.

A well-placed source says that, when he was told Mr Osborne had approached him about the matter, the Mayor exclaimed: ‘Bull****! There has been no such conversation. They are trying to tie me in.’

Mr Johnson believes the manoeuvre is a ploy to ensure he gets equal blame if the Tories lose power, and make it easier for Mr Osborne to beat him in a subsequent race to succeed Mr Cameron.

There is a growing rift between the two men, now seen as the main candidates in the race to succeed Mr Cameron in the event of a Tory flop at the next Election.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2571103/Rage-Boris-Osborne-liar-Johnson-savage-attack-dirty-tricks-plot-No11-derail-leadership-hopes.html

A fop flop? Preposterous!

*chortle*
    There will be caviar and Bolly a.o.t.s..
  • Options
  • Options

Are you with Team Boris...?

Team Alexander, surely?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
    Don't any of these Bullingdon chums like their first names?
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 662
    Isam - You've been previously warned about this behaviour towards new posters.

Your next infraction will earn you a 7 day ban.

Understood?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Don't any of them like their first names?

You changed your first fake name for another one
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Don't any of them like their first names?

You changed your first fake name for another one
    Yes, but I am not telling lies about the Mayor of London.
  • Options
    It's OK, he bessy mates with his brother.

Oh, wait...
  • Options

Understood?

Doesn't mick pork call Sean t "Gildas" on a daily basis without this ever being mentioned?
  • Options
    I'm digging that jumper, would keep me warm for the match.
  • Options
    So who do we think is causing all the trouble, Gideon or Boris, I am biased being on Team Boris. Who do the other posters think?
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 662
    isam said:

Understood?

Doesn't mick pork call Sean t "Gildas" on a daily basis without this ever being mentioned?
    He will also be given a similar message as well.

In case anyone has missed it, no accusing new posters of being other posters
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Mr. Herdson, sounds like another way of saying England needs devolution.

If we get it, I hope they have a proper building instead of some poncey modern structure.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/cheaper-to-tear-down-scottish-parliament-by-2020-1-3265721
    It's horrible,badly built and ruinously expensive to maintain.There's a growing movement calling for its demolition.

The SNP wanted the old Royal High School on Calton Hill. It was Mr Dewar and Labour (then as ever run from London) who refused to accept such common sense and who made the disastrous key decisions well before the Scottish Parliament was even convened. It was only the expenses scandals at Westminster, and the fact that Holyrood had got its act sorted out well before, that remedied that in terms of public perception.

To be fair to the architect, he was dying of a brain tumour, I believe.

What are your views on Portcullis House, in terms of architecture, sustainability and budget for function (as an office block for only a minority of Westminster MPs)?
    I love much modern architecture, but Edinburgh - one of the world's most beautiful capitals - is blemished by TWO hideous modern buildings, the Museum of Scotland, and the Scottish Parliament. They just don't work, and they are big: they positively prolapse into the cityscape.

And, unfortunately, Edinburgh is quite a small capital, so it is damaged by these buildings. By contrast a vast city like London, less obviously handsome than Edinburgh, but much grander in size and swagger, can absorb some ugly intrusions (which is lucky, as there have been many).

And the Scots Parliament cost so much!

Terrible shame. It could and should have been a masterpiece.
    The Museum of Scotland was a Tory carbuncle (Michael Forsyth).

The Holyrood building was a Labour carbuncle (Donald Dewar).
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

If you watched the football I watched today,no jumper would have warmed you up ;-)

• Options
    SeanT said:

This would have been amazing
    the Campaign for a Scottish Parliament yesterday urged Mr Dewar to back a legislative ''campus'' spread across Calton Hill, Regent Road and Waterloo Place encompassing several buildings including the former General Post Office.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/snp-says-calton-hill-site-has-clear-consensus-1.374708

The plan was a glass roof, a bit like the British Library. Sadly not to be
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    isam said:

Understood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5vZGfVUeY
    ROFL
  • Options

isam said:

Understood?

He will also be given a similar message as well.

In case anyone has missed it, no accusing new posters of being other posters
    Oh bugger.....that means that any new leftie poster cannot be accused of being Tim. Ah, those were the days.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

This would have been amazing
    the Campaign for a Scottish Parliament yesterday urged Mr Dewar to back a legislative ''campus'' spread across Calton Hill, Regent Road and Waterloo Place encompassing several buildings including the former General Post Office.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/snp-says-calton-hill-site-has-clear-consensus-1.374708

The plan was a glass roof, a bit like the British Library. Sadly not to be

- "Sadly not to be" ??

Ho ho. This from a Scottish Tory!

Do you want us to remind you which party consistently opposed the campaign for a Scottish Parliament?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Speaking of tim, to chance my arm I'll say I'd quite like to see the old boy back and running. When in form he's funny-amusing.
  • Options

If you watched the football I watched today,no jumper would have warmed you up ;-)

I see what you mean. On the footballing note, has Pardew lost the plot. He is in a long term contract, on very high wages and knows full well that the only way the club could get rid of him without paying up would be some sort of misconduct, so he goes and buts an opposition player. The mans an idiot.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Understood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5vZGfVUeY
    ROFL
    Is that how we have to deal with you when Scotland's still our fag in sept?
  • Options

- "Sadly not to be" ??

We were discussing architecture. Do try and keep up.

Given the choice between the epic disaster of Holyrood and the plan I mentioned, I am sad Waterloo Place didn't happen.

Still, I am sure your random mention of Scottish Tories will cheer up your Nat pals. They seem quite unhappy at the moment.
  • Options
    Sunday People run the government funding for PIE story.

Huge sums of TAXPAYER'S cash 'handed to vile child-sex pervert group' by Home Office officials

The claim is that £70,000 was provided by the Home Office between 1977 and 1980. The Civil Servant who "rubber stamped" the payments is identified as Clifford Hindley.

It seems that all three main parties are tarnished by the revelations.

The funding was originally authorised by the Labour Government under Callaghan.

It was renewed by the Tories under Thatcher.

Clifford Hindley who unusually for the time was openly gay, was well known in Whitehall as a pal of Jeremy Thorpe, the ex-Liberal leader who was acquitted in a sensational murder trial

The full sorry story here: http://bit.ly/1d8cf51

This revelation, anticipated by coverage in the Mail, may go some way to explain why Dacre ran the NCCL/PIE story to burn out last week.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Understood?

ROFL
    http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/6CSSnHHaH3A/maxresdefault.jpg

LOL

So your response to tantrums is incoherent rage. Most amusing and not hilarious proof at all.

• Options
    @afneil: Russian ambassador to UN makes clear Russia now in control of Crimea and demands reinstatement of Yanukovich in Kiev.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @toadmeister: Horrified by prospect of country led by homophobic gangster invading Ukraine. Hope to join @OwenJones84 and pals soon. When's the protest?
  • Options

I see what you mean. On the footballing note, has Pardew lost the plot. He is in a long term contract, on very high wages and knows full well that the only way the club could get rid of him without paying up would be some sort of misconduct, so he goes and buts an opposition player. The mans an idiot.
    Club Statement: Alan Pardew

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20140301/club-statement-alan-pardew_2281670_3693543

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport · 13 mins
    Newcastle issue statement saying manager Alan Pardew has been issued with a £100,000 fine and formal warning from the club #nufc #MOTD

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Understood?

ROFL

LOL

So your response to tantrums is incoherent rage. Most amusing and not hilarious proof at all.

Haha you got me, I'm livid! Damn this incoherent rage!

I understand why you're always so touchy, I hate the eu ruling England so lord knows how it must feel to be Scottish with us bossing you about for the last 300 years or so

• Options
    Daniel Trilling ‏@trillingual 13h

This "foreign land" line of Farage's is nicked from William Hague, isn't it? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/28/nigel-farage-ukip-immigration-speech

Yup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1201755.stm

Somewhat puzzling why wee Willie Hague wasn't called a "fruitcake, loony and closet racist" for that though luckily Cammie was only a prospective MP at that time.
    :)
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,655
    Looks like the succession war has started in the Tory party.Not sure why as Cameron is not that far behind.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Been out all day. Do we have a new Indy poll showing Yes on 40%?

Twitter suggests so.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Understood?

ROFL

LOL

I understand why you're always so touchy, I hate the eu ruling England so lord knows how it must feel to be Scottish with us bossing you about for the last 300 years or so
    http://polizeros.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/crying-baby.jpg

"us" Comedy Gold.

*chortle*
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Looks like the succession war has started in the Tory party.Not sure why as Cameron is not that far behind.

Or

Nadine Dorries MP ✔ @NadineDorriesMP

Given that I wrote this two weeks ago in the MoS, I am slightly fascinated with MoS front page tomorrow... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2560408/MP-NADINE-DORRIES-Launch-secret-weapon-Dave-Get-Boris-Number-10-make-Deputy-Prime-Minister.html

• Options
    SMukesh said:

Seems bizarre - still too early for them to throw the towel in. Extraordinary stuff - although Boris' I'll discipline is legend. Who are his key allies in the House?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    SMukesh said:

True but the incompetent fop failed to get boundary changes and the gullible tory eurosceptics are going to erupt again soon enough. Likely around about May.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Daniel Trilling ‏@trillingual 13h

This "foreign land" line of Farage's is nicked from William Hague, isn't it? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/28/nigel-farage-ukip-immigration-speech

Yup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1201755.stm

Somewhat puzzling why wee Willie Hague wasn't called a "fruitcake, loony and closet racist" for that though luckily Cammie was only a prospective MP at that time.
    :)

Enoch Powell said it in 1968
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Understood?

ROFL

LOL

http://polizeros.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/crying-baby.jpg

"us" Comedy Gold.

*chortle*
    Chortle away!

Ps I never open the links x
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

SMukesh said:

Seems bizarre - still too early for them to throw the towel in. Extraordinary stuff - although Boris' I'll discipline is legend. Who are his key allies in the House?

Not sure about the House but he might have a mole in number 10 in Lynton Crosby.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Talking of Boris, the Mayor of London's Office has set up a large stage with stands in Trafalgar Square, for the start of 'Russia Week' tomorrow. Fortuitous timing.

Can't see the festival passing off without some disruption in light of current events in the East.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

SMukesh said:

True but the incompetent fop failed to get boundary changes and the gullible tory eurosceptics are going to erupt again soon enough. Likely around about May.
    Bit unfair to blame Dave for losing boundary reforms given Tory rebels shot down Lord`s reform and Clegg vetoed boundary changes in revenge.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

SMukesh said:

Or

Given that I wrote this two weeks ago in the MoS, I am slightly fascinated with MoS front page tomorrow... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2560408/MP-NADINE-DORRIES-Launch-secret-weapon-Dave-Get-Boris-Number-10-make-Deputy-Prime-Minister.html

It`s actually quite a good idea.Vote Cameron,get Boris!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,764
    edited March 2014

Apocalypse-a-thon materiel for a Saturday night

Dr Strangelove
    Threads
    By Dawn's Early Light
    The War Game
    The Day After
    Fail Safe
    On The Beach
    Planet of the Apes

Terminator
    Oblivion
    Book of Eli
    Independence Day
    World War III (Der Dritte Weltkrieg)
    * h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_III_(film)
    * h ttp://tu.tv/videos/zdf-tv-docudrama-world-war-3

Without Warning (1984)
    * h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_Warning_(1994_film)
    * h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xMTA7qhZM
    Fail Safe (2000)
    * h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail_Safe_(2000_TV_film)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=djqlAT-7be4

Countdown to Looking Glass (1984)
    * h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_to_Looking_Glass

www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSSUEdLcvg

Special Bulletin (1983)
    * h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Bulletin
    * h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKY-2zkWJuo

Testament (1983)
    * h ttp://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/testament-1983
    * h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testament_(film)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOe57HG_MU
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOcVbQpUhuw
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFPpdrn9dM
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGxbQSdua54
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba2ITH1Wzks
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvyr_0sJrM0
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EakU0s5FxI

First Strike (1979)
    * h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Strike_(1979_film)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w
  • Options

SMukesh said:

Or

Now that would be the cherry on the cake making the person who has just called the Chancellor a liar as Deputy PM, oh please let this happen.
  • Options
    Sunder Katwala ‏@sundersays Feb 28

Clever if counterintuitive idea for no10 to brief story saying Boris running for Commons 2015 would demonstrate loyalty to Cameron. (Times)
    Like all Osbrowne master strategies, 'clever' right up until it falls apart.
    Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 1m

Boris v Osborne looks like it's now out in the open --- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2571103/Rage-Boris-Osborne-liar-Johnson-savage-attack-dirty-tricks-plot-No11-derail-leadership-hopes.html
  • Options

Talking of Boris, the Mayor of London's Office has set up a large stage with stands in Trafalgar Square, for the start of 'Russia Week' tomorrow. Fortuitous timing.

Absolute classic!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Been out all day. Do we have a new Indy poll showing Yes on 40%?

Twitter suggests so.

Only the sixth in a row so no possible trend there.

Yes Clydesdale ‏@YesClydesdale 6h

New @YouGov poll puts Yes at 40% - the sixth poll in a row to put support for Yes in the 40's. http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2014/mar/40-yes-vote-yougov-poll-first-launch … #indyref
  • Options

SMukesh said:

Or

Now that would be the cherry on the cake making the person who has just called the Chancellor a liar as Deputy PM, oh please let this happen.
    Jane Merrick ✔ @janemerrick23

Lord Owen has ended his 33 year estrangement from Labour by backing Ed Miliband over party reform + donating £7.5k

You must be proud,could we see David owen rejoining labour,tell ed to keep away from his top pocket ;-)

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,957
    edited March 2014
    Tonight's YouGov for the Sunday Times

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Perhaps Owen Jones reads hopenothate and is concerned about the Ukranian Right Sector : http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/international/article/1749/czech-ultra-right-invites-militant-nazis-from-ukraines-right-sector

So Putins homophobia vs the homophobic fascists. It is really quite hard to pick sides with this one. Perhaps best to decide what Britains interests are before getting too deep in the mire of competing slavic nationalisms.
    Scott_P said:

@toadmeister: Horrified by prospect of country led by homophobic gangster invading Ukraine. Hope to join @OwenJones84 and pals soon. When's the protest?

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Absolute classic!
    Is the incompetent fop going to do another 'Syria' in the commons and risk getting humiliated by his own side again? I somehow doubt it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Fantastic poll for the gadflies.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

SMukesh said:

Bit unfair to blame Dave for losing boundary reforms given Tory rebels shot down Lord`s reform and Clegg vetoed boundary changes in revenge.
    John Major no doubt also felt hard done by but a weak PM is a weak PM. They're Cameron's backbenchers and he keeps taking them for gullible fools. So they're obviously going to hit back hard every time they belatedly realise they've been had.

• Options

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

Today’s YouGov poll for The Sunday Times shows the Lib Dems at just 9%, three points behind UKIP. Labour is on 38%, four points ahead of the Conservatives.

Interesting the tories seem to have moved up a notch and to be sticking around 34% in some recent polls,when previous weeks below 34%.

• Options
    YouGov for the Sunday Times finds that

34% of voters think Harman and Dromey should apologise, while 32% believe the controversy is a storm in a teacup and they do not need to do so.

The YouGov poll found that only 5% of people believed the NCCL was right to let Pie become an affiliate, while 69% thought it was wrong.
  • Options

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

Going well!
  • Options
    Ashcroft digging out Cameron

Lord Ashcroft (@LordAshcroft)
    28/02/2014 12:08
    Perhaps @bobscartoons sums it up..... pic.twitter.com/L6VGAjX62x
  • Options

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

Today’s YouGov poll for The Sunday Times shows the Lib Dems at just 9%, three points behind UKIP. Labour is on 38%, four points ahead of the Conservatives.

Interesting the tories seem to have moved up a notch and to be sticking around 34% in some recent polls,when previous weeks below 34%.

There's a great graphic in the Sunday Times showing the VI trends with YouGov.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ashcroft digging out Cameron

Lord Ashcroft (@LordAshcroft)
    28/02/2014 12:08
    Perhaps @bobscartoons sums it up..... pic.twitter.com/L6VGAjX62x

Something tells me he is on Team Boris with me.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    SMukesh said:

Mick_Pork said:

SMukesh said:

Nothing to do with HoL reform.

"Matthew D'Ancona says in his book In It Together (p. 289), based on his own direct conversations, that by the summer of 2012 Nick Clegg had come to believe that the boundary changes constituted "an existential threat" to the Liberal Democrats. In his exact words, quoted by D'Ancona, "I can't, under any circumstances, allow these boundary changes to take place before the next election. This is an existential threat.""

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jessenorman/100258267/the-masters-of-truthiness-are-spreading-ignorance-about-lords-reform/
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,981
    I rather worry that 24h news is creating the crisis in Ukraine. The BBC sensationalising every step for example.

I imagine the reality of their state's disintegration for most Ukrainians is very dull indeed. I'm rather hoping that it stays dull.

The newspapers are just trying to keep up with the TV stations in terms of sensationalism, and given they only get one shot per day they have to try even harder.

• Options
    I'd put this poll down to a combination of Harman/Dromey/Hewitt and Farage's speech.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    As near as you can get in diplomatic language to telling the leader of the western world to f*ck off:

Official release by Kremlin through ITAR-TASS:

MOSCOW, March 02, /ITAR-TASS/.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and U.S. counterpart Barack Obama discussed in detail “different aspects of an extraordinary situation in Ukraine” in a telephone conversation, the Kremlin press service reported on Sunday.

The Russian president noted that Russia retained the right to protect country’s interests and Russian speakers living in Ukraine if violence spread on eastern Ukrainian regions and the Crimea. Putin stated about real threats to life and health of Russian citizens and numerous compatriots living in the country.

In reply to Obama’s concern voiced over plans on possible use of Russian armed forces in Ukraine Putin noted provocative and criminal actions by ultra-nationalistic elements that are actually encouraged by current authorities in Kiev.

The United States initiated the telephone conversation.

And in case anyone thought that the report of this call reflected the poor personal relationship between Putin and Obama, see also:

ITAR-TASS links:

Putin tells UN head Russia can’t stay aside if violence flares in Ukraine
    Putin tells France president about real threats to life of Russian citizens in Ukraine

The west have so far handled this crisis with total lack of vision, strategy and understanding of where real power lies.

It looks as though Putin has committed to fast and decisive action (no doubt to be justified by some provocative incidents tomorrow).
  • Options

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

Is it pretty much dead flat? There's been no movement of any note, in any direction, for months on end.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options
    What is the MoS stoy actually about - i.e. what has Boris accused Ozzy of lying about?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

Is it pretty much dead flat? There's been no movement of any note, in any direction, for months on end.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
    No.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

No.
    So what does it show then? :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'd put this poll down to a combination of Harman/Dromey/Hewitt and Farage's speech.

A Labour score of 38? It's essentially flat.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

That's all polls. In close detail YouGov is far more spiky and somewhat erratic at times and not just because of the sheer volume of their polling.

You can see for yourself as the all polls trend does include all the polling companies where you can pick out YouGov's figures individually on any set date they were done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    In the Sunday Times there's a story about Lord Howard at a private dinner at a think thank

A source said Howard’s message was “forget the obsession with UKIP, we need to target the collapse of the Lib Dem vote and one of the ways to do this is to face down the climate sceptics”.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

No.
    It is the Tory vote firming up to the mid thirties and the Labour vote sliding down the wall like a slug on barbiturates which should worry the left.

The sign posts are clear.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

No.
    It is the Tory vote firming up to the mid thirties and the Labour vote sliding down the wall like a slug on barbiturates which should worry the left.

It might worry the left, were it happening!

• Options

In the Sunday Times there's a story about Lord Howard at a private dinner at a think thank

A source said Howard’s message was “forget the obsession with UKIP, we need to target the collapse of the Lib Dem vote and one of the ways to do this is to face down the climate sceptics”.

He actually thinks there are votes in the Conservatives attacking climate sceptics?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

No.
    It looks like this.

The Screaming Eagles ‏@TSEofPB now

YouGov VI trends in this parliament.

pic.twitter.com/gc2AvqcKXr
  • Options

He actually thinks there are votes in the Conservatives attacking climate sceptics?
    Yes.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

AveryLP said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

No.

It might worry the left, were it happening!

Therefore I speak to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

[Jeremiah 5:21]
  • Options
    @Avery

Groan.
  • Options
    From the Sunday Times, Better Together don't have a pot to piss in.

BETTER TOGETHER, the cross-party campaign to save the Union, faces a financial crisis after failing to raise even half its £7m funding target.

With 200 days to go till the Scottish referendum, the group led by Alistair Darling says it fears public opinion could swing the nationalists’ way because it cannot match the yes camp’s war chest.
  • Options
    Lord Howard seems to be doing a Matthew Paris as he gets older - ie. becoming more and more left-wing.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Con 34

Lab 38

LD 9

UKIP 12

No.
    It looks like this.

The Screaming Eagles ‏@TSEofPB now

YouGov VI trends in this parliament.

pic.twitter.com/gc2AvqcKXr
    LOL

That's been flattened to high heaven.

Doesn't quite cover the actual detail but the very broadest of strokes are fair enough.

Compare with this UK polling report of YouGov VI.
    (which for reasons best known to themselves they still leave out the kippers)

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/yougov-voting-intention
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lord Howard seems to be doing a Matthew Paris as he gets older - ie. becoming more and more left-wing.

If you aren't a social democrat by the time you are 60, you've got no head.

*that said there is nothing inherently left wing about believing in climate change.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

If the Conservatives want to purge their voting coalition of those with impure views on this week's theory of what voters want, I'm sure UKIP will appreciate the help.
  • Options
    Obama's somewhat lengthier response to Putin and record of their 90 minute telephone conversation:

President Obama spoke for 90 minutes this afternoon with President Putin of Russia about the situation in Ukraine. President Obama expressed his deep concern over Russia's clear violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity, which is a breach of international law, including Russia’s obligations under the UN Charter, and of its 1997 military basing agreement with Ukraine, and which is inconsistent with the 1994 Budapest Memorandum and the Helsinki Final Act. The United States condemns Russia’s military intervention into Ukrainian territory.

"The United States calls on Russia to de-escalate tensions by withdrawing its forces back to bases in Crimea and to refrain from any interference elsewhere in Ukraine. We have consistently said that we recognize Russia’s deep historic and cultural ties to Ukraine and the need to protect the rights of ethnic Russian and minority populations within Ukraine. The Ukrainian government has made clear its commitment to protect the rights of all Ukrainians and to abide by Ukraine’s international commitments, and we will continue to urge them to do so.

"President Obama told President Putin that, if Russia has concerns about the treatment of ethnic Russian and minority populations in Ukraine, the appropriate way to address them is peacefully through direct engagement with the government of Ukraine and through the dispatch of international observers under the auspices of the United Nations Security Council or the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). As a member of both organizations, Russia would be able to participate. President Obama urged an immediate effort to initiate a dialogue between Russia and the Ukrainian government, with international facilitation, as appropriate. The United States is prepared to participate.

[to be continued]
  • Options
    Obama re. Putin & The Ukraine continued

"President Obama made clear that Russia’s continued violation of Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity would negatively impact Russia’s standing in the international community. In the coming hours and days, the United States will urgently consult with allies and partners in the UN Security Council, the North Atlantic Council, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, and with the signatories of the Budapest Memorandum. The United States will suspend upcoming participation in preparatory meetings for the G-8. Going forward, Russia’s continued violation of international law will lead to greater political and economic isolation.

"The people of Ukraine have the right to determine their own future. President Obama has directed his Administration to continue working urgently with international partners to provide support for the Ukrainian government, including urgent technical and financial assistance. Going forward, we will continue consulting closely with allies and partners, the Ukrainian government and the International Monetary Fund, to provide the new government with significant assistance to secure financial stability, to support needed reforms, to allow Ukraine to conduct successful elections, and to support Ukraine as it pursues a democratic future."
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,981
    AveryLP said:

As near as you can get in diplomatic language to telling the leader of the western world to f*ck off:

Putin has everything to lose. He simply has to make gestures. The only gain he can make is if he can offer a serious olive branch at some key point. If he marches into Ukraine he'll scupper everything, but being seen as able to march into Ukraine is very helpful.

The Chinese won't want Russian forces demonstrating any rights to an extended sphere of influence too. It's unhelpful for them because of the bordering states, but also because they really don't want to be seen to have any option in contested regions. Waving the flag in the vicinity of the Japanese islands is good, but actually doing something about them isn't.

However, it may be that these big issues aren't right. If in the personal files of the Ukrainian President there is stuff that would implicate senior Russian politicians then it won't be terribly surprising if they seek cover.

British politicians? Oh, yeah, they're over there, on that rock.
  • Options
    The field work for the Opinium poll was 25th-28th. The new immigration statistics story seems to have hit the papers websites on the 27th. It would be interesting to know if there was any marked change before/after that.

http://news.opinium.co.uk/sites/news.opinium.co.uk/files/vi_25_02_2014.pdf
  • Options
    "Canada recalls ambassador to Russia and suspends planning for G8 summit in Russian over Ukraine crisis."

https://mobile.twitter.com/yowflier
  • Options
    Assad must be getting a bit nervous about the Ukraine situation.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Omnium said:

AveryLP said:

Putin has everything to lose. He simply has to make gestures. The only gain he can make is if he can offer a serious olive branch at some key point. If he marches into Ukraine he'll scupper everything, but being seen as able to march into Ukraine is very helpful.

The Chinese won't want Russian forces demonstrating any rights to an extended sphere of influence too. It's unhelpful for them because of the bordering states, but also because they really don't want to be seen to have any option in contested regions. Waving the flag in the vicinity of the Japanese islands is good, but actually doing something about them isn't.

However, it may be that these big issues aren't right. If in the personal files of the Ukrainian President there is stuff that would implicate senior Russian politicians then it won't be terribly surprising if they seek cover.

British politicians? Oh, yeah, they're over there, on that rock.
    I have always expected Russia under Putin to use its forces to intervene in the Ukraine, but have been surprised at the speed with which Putin is moving (probably faster than the capabilities of his military but Y0kel is a better source for that assessment).

I don't see much fighting taking place. Maybe a few token skirmishes, but there will be no contested war.

Once Putin has realised his military objectives he will recover diplomatic ground lost by being entirely reasonable in negotiating with the international community. From Putin's point of view, Russia has to maximise its negotiating power by first optimising his negotiating strength.

Possession of territory and frustrating the development of the new Ukrainian government's relationships with the West is all.

The problem of taking a hard line with Russia and Putin on the Ukraine is that once he is in we will want him out, which means offering concessions to induce withdrawal.

The West should have stood back and waited.

• Options
    @TSE

Interesting story about the funding picture in Scotland. Do we know where Yes's funding is coming from? American money (apparently there are 25m Scots-Americans)?
  • Options
    Maybe time to view this The Day Today clip:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IEwBrJzhlg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It is an ominous sign when ITAR-TASS are publishing articles at 4:55 am (Moscow time).

And all the more ominous when the article published is an account of lawlessness in Kharkov with "extremists" attempting to occupy the region's administrative building.

The article talks of gunshots, explosions, automatic rifle fire, smashed windows, attempted "lynch trials" and a "peaceful rally in protection of the city that gathered 10 to 15 thousand people" but descended due to the actions of "far right extremists" into "bloody clashes that wounded 111 people".

Of course the beleaguered local Mayor is in despair and is indirectly calling on Moscow to help:

Kharkov Mayor Gennady Kernes also confirmed that “there is information about buses with extremists.” At the same time he demanded that law enforcement agencies should do their best to prevent Bandera extremists from entering the city.”

All this could have been written in advance or copied from Russia's copious historic files.

Sunrise will no doubt see these "buses with extremists" arrive and further unrest.

It looks very much like Russian forces are going to move into Kharkov today.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,205
    edited March 2014
    AndyJS said:

Dealing with climate change has long been Conservative policy. It's a goal of conservatives everywhere, with the possible exception of the US, where politicians need a lot of money and politics is driven by industry lobbying in a way that most democracies aren't.

As far as the political actual strategy goes, it should be fairly obvious that a lot of the swing voters in 2015 will be people who voted LibDem in 2010. Some of them are left-wingers who went LibDem over Iraq etc and they may be hopeless for the Tories, but a fair few will be centrist people who got caught up in the Cleggasm. These people should be winnable by Con, and Cameron originally had a strategy to win them over, which he'd probably have stuck to if it they didn't have those crazy leadership rules that meant he had to be looking over his shoulder at the fringes of his party the whole time.

Or maybe instead of "had" a strategy to win the centrists over, we should say, Cameron originally _was_ a strategy to win them over. Michael Howard's strategy.
This discussion has been closed.