Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Lee Anderson and his ilk cause an early election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    eek said:

Sunak is calling an election today at 1032, Moon told us so

What you are doing is rather close to bullying.

Stop it.

It adds nothing to the site.

We all make wrong calls from time to time. She backed up her judgement with analysis.
    Perhaps the amount you can remind someone of a wrong call is proportional to how insistent they were in repeating their prediction.
    May election is not yet dead, is it? I thought there was still a bit of time left.
    I think somebody told us the last practical date for a May 2nd election to be called is March 18th.
    Nope that would result in a date of April 25th. It’s basically any day from next Tuesday (19th) to the 26th at which point it’s too late.

Yes I think 26th is the last legal date but the general view seems to be that it would need to be announced some days before that to allow for current parliamentary business to be wound up etc
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    kamski said:

Stop it.

We all make wrong calls from time to time. She backed up her judgement with analysis.
    Maybe it adds nothing to the site, but it's about as close to "bullying" as your own post telling ninja to stop.

Or indeed Rabbit's own "analysis" telling us why it had to be May 2nd, and anyone who disagreed either knew nothing, or were somehow dishonestly trying to worsen the conservatives chances
    And what makes you think I was wrong? 😇

A podium can be set up outside No. 10 to call that election any second now for the coming week. There’s certainly enough Blue Wall visits from Sunak and Hunt going on for a General Election campaign, more money being spent than for mere local elections, April diaries emptied, only thing missing is the rallies, fleet of battle buses, and extended news and interview shows.

Maybe the rabbit from the hat to fight on wasn’t the budget - just the valedictory budget Hunt and Sunak want to give but will never get another chance to do in their political careers. Maybe the Rabbit from the Hat to trigger the election call is the extremism announcement, because that will certainly divide UK between right and left, and Starmer and Labour in a difficult spot between safety first versus standing amongst their own supporters.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164
    MattW said:

Russia have lost another IL-76. This time it appears to be an accident rather than combat-related.

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1767496284062023893

Ukraine lost a fighter ?yesterday?, and the Russians allegedly lost another SU-27 where Russian Freedom Legion have gone into Belgorod. It is also rumoured that an attack last week on an airbase damaged a couple of 'spares' Russian A-50 airframes.

Is Ukraine putting such pressure on Russia days before Putin's election enthronement wise?

There was talk yesterday of Russia having lost another AWACS-ski, damaged on the ground - probably the same report JJ mentions.

I have yet to see enough followup stories to clinch the account.
    They're the A-50's I referred to above. No direct evidence (and I doubt we'd get any), but something happened at, or around, the plant.

Also today, a CHP power station's afire in St Petersburg. It might be a cold night for residents.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,539
    edited March 12
    eek said:

Stop it.

Perhaps the amount you can remind someone of a wrong call is proportional to how insistent they were in repeating their prediction.
    May election is not yet dead, is it? I thought there was still a bit of time left.
    I think somebody told us the last practical date for a May 2nd election to be called is March 18th.
    Nope that would result in a date of April 25th. It’s basically any day from next Tuesday (19th) to the 26th at which point it’s too late.

Parliament normally isn't formally dissolved until at least a few days after an election is announced, so an election announced on the 18th would be unlikely to see Parliament dissolved the same day, and so the election date wouldn't be April 25th.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,643
    eek said:

Stop it.

The GE timetable runs from dissolution, not from announcement. So the announcement has to be a bit before dissolution date (which would I think be 26th March for a 2nd May election) so that there is time for sorting odds and ends of legislation, SIs and so on.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,167
    AlsoLei said:

So it turns out there was no AI involved in Kate-Gate. Presumably the following happened. Someone told Kate and Wills that it might be a good idea to publish a family photograph, seeing that she hadn't been seen in public for a few months. Kate - thinking that a modern royal should be more 'hands on' and not just delegate to minions - decided to take charge of the whole process. However silly old Kate didn't a) realize that her amateur editing efforts would be picked up by the profession media organizations b) think it would make any difference if they were. Or am I being hopelessly naïve?

The point is that no-one knows.

A fake photo was released, followed by a vague statement in which Kate apparently took the blame. But they've not told us how it was faked, or to what degree, or for what purpose. And they've refused to release the original source material.

It might be entirely innocent, it might be a minor fix-up or a bit of artistic licence, it might be a complete fake. We can't tell, and Kensington Palace aren't saying.

The press agencies have guidelines about the sort of image manipulation that's acceptable, and they suspect that this picture breaks them strongly enough that they issued kill notices. They now find themselves in a very difficult position - if it had been from any other source, they would now be refusing to accept further pictures without verification. But are they really going to refuse images from Kensington Palace?
    If Kate's story was true, they would release the original photograph.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,436

@MoonRabbit was wrong. @CorrectHorseBattery remains the greatest predictor in PB history

Careful, you'll wake the flint knapper...
  • Options

@MoonRabbit was wrong. @CorrectHorseBattery remains the greatest predictor in PB history

At least I have an ounce or 2 of modesty, not constant high on my own supply 😝

It can still be called. If it isn’t I make a promise to you I will submit a header to the editor beginning in big bold capitals - I’m Moonrabbit, and I promised you a May election. 🙂‍↕️
  • Options

WillG said:

nico679 said:

Perhaps not an occasion for breath holding.

Starmer has already given her support with his comments this morning .
    Why is she getting support after she has said far more racist statements in her history? This is such an obvious case of a double standard. The BBC's institutional racism agaisnt white people (as shown by the Newcastle documentary) means it lets the fact Diane Abbott is in good standing with the Labour Party go by unnotced. If it was a Tory MP who had said similar things about black people, it would mention it in every article about them.
    Has Diane Abbott said she hates all white people or said that a white MP needs to be killed?
    IIRC she was suspended as a Labour MP for saying white people don't face the same degree of constant racism that she does, which in light of these comments from the biggest political donor in Britain I have to say has a greater degree of plausibility.
    No, she just said white people love to play divide and rule and black people shouldn't play "their" games.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    I still think it will be May, for what it’s worth.
  • Options

It can still be called. If it isn’t I make a promise to you I will submit a header to the editor beginning in big bold capitals - I’m Moonrabbit, and I promised you a May election. 🙂‍↕️
    As above, I still think it will be May. Your analysis for once was actually very good and convinced me so I chucked a few Pounds on it. It just wasn’t to be for today.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    edited March 12
    eek said:

nico679 said:

Apparently Hester can’t be a racist because he’s done business in Jamaica . That’s according to some Tory Lord .

He also quite likes Bob Marley's music, so he can't possibly be racist.
    Probably some of his best friends are black too, so that proves it.
    Well not best friends, but he knows them, and they sit in the corner, so that proves it.
    He pointed out that all the women of Chinese origin sat in the same office corner
    Special name and all for the corner, or do I misremember?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,643

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Apparently Hester can’t be a racist because he’s done business in Jamaica . That’s according to some Tory Lord .

You also can’t be anti-Semitic if you shop at M and S !
    O/T I have just read Cold Comfort Farm again (for book club). Written in 1932 apparently, it contains a number of clearly anti-semitic slurs - made worse if anything by the casual way they are slipped in, adding nothing to the narrative.
    Casual anti-semitism (and other isms) is very common in writing up to and including the 1930s. It's a bit like how some more recent stuff treats the white working class male. None of it is good, but the past is a foreign country, they do things differently. Try Raymond Chandler, Hilary Waugh, Mark Twain in Tom Sawyer. There is one (I think only one ) Sherlock Holmes story with racist tropes.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,682
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Just highlighting @AlsoLei 's observation from the last thread. An important decade coming up:

AlsoLei said:

Nigelb said:

Global sea surface temperatures, aside from being at a modern-era record high of 21.21°C for the third consecutive day, are also in crazy-town territory for the standard deviation, yesterday at 5.68σ above the 1982-2011 mean. That's 1-in-150 million for a normal distribution.
    https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1766886096577957960

I suppose that the crazy temperatures over the past year are being driven by the ENSO?

Perhaps the scariest effect of the current situation is that it sets a high water mark that won't be reached again until the next El Nino year - you can almost hear the denialists cueing up their "but sea surface temperatures are much cooler than they were during 2023-24! what are you worrying about?" tweets which they'll be bombarding us with for the rest of the decade...

In a fortnight the sea temperature will have been at a record for every day of the last year.

Tell me about it. I’m moving on from Cartagena and my intent was to go upriver to Mompos, said to be a fantastically lost, lovely colonial town on the Maddalena river. Then I looked at the weather forecast

A week of 40C. This is unusual even for Colombia

And yet, I’m still tempted
  • Options

You can call me the Horse whisperer
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696

kamski said:

Stop it.

Maybe it adds nothing to the site, but it's about as close to "bullying" as your own post telling ninja to stop.

Or indeed Rabbit's own "analysis" telling us why it had to be May 2nd, and anyone who disagreed either knew nothing, or were somehow dishonestly trying to worsen the conservatives chances

A podium can be set up outside No. 10 to call that election any second now for the coming week. There’s certainly enough Blue Wall visits from Sunak and Hunt going on for a General Election campaign, more money being spent than for mere local elections, April diaries emptied, only thing missing is the rallies, fleet of battle buses, and extended news and interview shows.

Maybe the rabbit from the hat to fight on wasn’t the budget - just the valedictory budget Hunt and Sunak want to give but will never get another chance to do in their political careers. Maybe the Rabbit from the Hat to trigger the election call is the extremism announcement, because that will certainly divide UK between right and left, and Starmer and Labour in a difficult spot between safety first versus standing amongst their own supporters.
    But the extremism announcement has been nerfed by Hester - how can the Tories draw dividing lines around extremism when their own racist donors are openly talking about wanting to shoot Diane Abbot?

I do think that a May GE would be best, both for the party and for the country. But I don't see any signs of it happening - those blue wall visits you mention, for instance, seem to map pretty well to the upcoming district council elections.
  • Options
    I think on balance I’d like it to be May but I need to remove that from what is most likely.

My gut says Sunak is trying to stay PM as long as possible. But on the other hand will he actually make it to the end of the year?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,523

You can call me the Horse whisperer
    I knew a man who used to shout all the time, until one day he became a horse* whisperer. :smiley:

*hoarse - works better spoken, obvs
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,991
    Binface FTW.

"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing."
    https://twitter.com/CountBinface/status/1767199772073411056
  • Options

nico679 said:

Boris Johnson to make a general election comeback for the Tories
    The former prime minister is expected to campaign for the Conservatives in red wall seats to ‘take the fight to Keir Starmer’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-next-general-election-tories-keir-starmerer-jbf30vh08 (£££)

It’s like they’re living in la la land .

So the pathological liar who would have been suspended from parliament for 90 days is going to be their vote winner !
    It will win back some votes in some places.
    Possibly even a net gain overall.

Though it could all just be a "don't follow Lee to Reform, Daddy still loves you and he is coming back" piece of waffle.

The nearest we have to confirmation is

A spokesman for Johnson said: “Boris Johnson’s focus at the moment is writing and speaking and he is very productively engaged on that. His position has been consistently in support of the Conservative Party for his entire political life and that will remain so.”

Which is only a bit of a fib.
    With defection of Lee, Tories immediately reached for two dock leaves, Boris into the Red Wall and Two fingers to Net Zero with Gas Plants.

The bottom line here is in the bigger picture Boris and Lee are far from popular - but the Tories don’t need everybody or be ahead on everything, they just need to target certain “constituencies of voters” to come back to them. The ones they had last time and have lost.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,704
    And almost as exciting as a trip to Columbia I have had my first ever visit to a Greggs at Liverpool Street station as I make my way to Southwold to collect the car we abandoned there when I had to drive up to collect my wife last week after she broke her wrist. How the other half live eh.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,416
    So it's tiny, tiny violin day on PB.

A denial of random male to female violence, and a denial of white privilege makes my heart bleed for all these PB snowflakes. In my sixty two years no random stranger has ever told me to "f*** off home whitey".
  • Options
    Speaking of AI, it is now, apparently, coming for musicians

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/now-ai-is-coming-for-musicians/

Incidentally there is definitely “AI” manipulation in the royal image. Absolute hallmarks. Also I am pretty convinced the Mirror photo Ed is correct: the AI took the Vogue cover shot of Kate’s face and reworked it into this composite. Quite a desperate move, as the Vogue photo is years old
  • Options

Seems to have gone a bit quiet on the Kategate front this morning.

Says someone with a clearly photoshopped avatar.
  • Options
    edited March 12

A denial of random male to female violence, and a denial of white privilege makes my heart bleed for all these PB snowflakes. In my sixty two years no random stranger has ever told me to "f*** off home whitey".

...resists (almost overwhelming) temptation.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629

So it turns out there was no AI involved in Kate-Gate. Presumably the following happened. Someone told Kate and Wills that it might be a good idea to publish a family photograph, seeing that she hadn't been seen in public for a few months. Kate - thinking that a modern royal should be more 'hands on' and not just delegate to minions - decided to take charge of the whole process. However silly old Kate didn't a) realize that her amateur editing efforts would be picked up by the profession media organizations b) think it would make any difference if they were. Or am I being hopelessly naïve?

I think Kate has a degree in art history, this makes her the creative powerhouse in chez Windsor.
    You don't need the 'in', 'Chez' means 'at the house of' or similar.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177

It’s the Fez!

My free tips. 🐎

Cheltenham 1.30 - Mystical Power
    Cheltenham 2.10 - Il Etait Temps
    Cheltenham 2.50 - Chianti Classico
    Cheltenham 3:30 - State Man
    Cheltenham 4:10 - Lossiemouth
    Cheltenham 4:50 - Liari
    Cheltenham 5.30 - Apple Away

Are these the only tips posted? I was looking for the mini thread.

Amazed that Nicholls only has one horse today, I will be on Liari. Looks like Mullins for nearly clean sweep otherwise
  • Options

Yeah, those pathetic white snowflakes in Newcastle, who got systematically raped while the BBC broadcast a sob story documentary about their Syrian rapist.

What disgusting views you have.
  • Options
    It's not difficult, Rishi.

Former Chancellor @KwasiKwarteng on Frank Hester’s alleged comments about Diane Abbott:

“They are clearly racist and they are clearly sexist… They were very stupid remarks.”

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1767526491468759541
  • Options

Can someone ask MoonRabbit if there's any news from No 10 yet about the 10:30 press conference announcing the GE?

Enjoy your day out tomorrow Ben. Hope all goes well with the travelling. 🙂

Don’t forget to share snippets about what it’s like and what surprised you, for those of us who have never gone inside.

It’s supposed to feel a lot smaller inside than we imagine from the telly isn’t it?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177

Remove the "ed" from that and you are closer to GBH
  • Options

nico679 said:

The former prime minister is expected to campaign for the Conservatives in red wall seats to ‘take the fight to Keir Starmer’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-next-general-election-tories-keir-starmerer-jbf30vh08 (£££)

So the pathological liar who would have been suspended from parliament for 90 days is going to be their vote winner !

Though it could all just be a "don't follow Lee to Reform, Daddy still loves you and he is coming back" piece of waffle.

A spokesman for Johnson said: “Boris Johnson’s focus at the moment is writing and speaking and he is very productively engaged on that. His position has been consistently in support of the Conservative Party for his entire political life and that will remain so.”

With defection of Lee, Tories immediately reached for two dock leaves, Boris into the Red Wall and Two fingers to Net Zero with Gas Plants.

The bottom line here is in the bigger picture Boris and Lee are far from popular - but the Tories don’t need everybody or be ahead on everything, they just need to target certain “constituencies of voters” to come back to them. The ones they had last time and have lost.
    Even if Johnson gained back every vote in the red wall (SPOILER: he won't!), they are still not addressing the massive fall in their vote in the blue wall. Their rhetoric on ignoring net zero will only make the blue wall losses greater.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373

Mr. Tres, three-quarters of suicides in this country are by men. It's no bad thing to point out that thinking of men in a sympathetic way is not a bad thing, and that portraying them simply as either aggressors or potential aggressors is as wrong as it is simplistic.

On international mens day in 2022 our workplace organised a couple of talks on mens health and one was on suicide which is very prevalent in men.

Especially younger men.

Ignore the sniping on here, there is alot of good work out there being done to try to combat this problem.
  • Options

kamski said:

Stop it.

Yes snowflakery from StillWaters. Bullying is a hugely overused term.

I recall being accused of "cyberbullying" on here for having the temerity to ask @williamglenn whether he would vote for Trump, given the chance.

I should add that William himself seemed fine with my question!
    Reminds me of the sketch in The Office where David Brent is pulled up for telling a racist joke. He said it was alright as the Black Guy wasn't offended :smile:
  • Options
    Taz said:

Mr. Tres, three-quarters of suicides in this country are by men. It's no bad thing to point out that thinking of men in a sympathetic way is not a bad thing, and that portraying them simply as either aggressors or potential aggressors is as wrong as it is simplistic.

On international mens day in 2022 our workplace organised a couple of talks on mens health and one was on suicide which is very prevalent in men.

Especially younger men.

Ignore the sniping on here, there is alot of good work out there being done to try to combat this problem.
    My alma mater cancelled recognition of International Men's Day as being work of the patriarchy.

Men's issues are more relevant than ever given there is currently a major European war going on for the first time in 70 years. Men are the main victims of war.

Acknowledging men face certain unique harms doesn't mean taking away from women's issues. As much as some identity politics types like to turn it into us vs them.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Yeah, those pathetic white snowflakes in Newcastle, who got systematically raped while the BBC broadcast a sob story documentary about their Syrian rapist.

The worst thing about the BBC News Story was it portrayed the victim as a racist who had been around the block a few times.
  • Options

As above, I still think it will be May. Your analysis for once was actually very good and convinced me so I chucked a few Pounds on it. It just wasn’t to be for today.
    Anyhow - let’s focus on the racing now. Are mine the only tips posted?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,890
    Nigelb said:

Former Chancellor @KwasiKwarteng on Frank Hester’s alleged comments about Diane Abbott:

“They are clearly racist and they are clearly sexist… They were very stupid remarks.”

If he were still in cabinet I suspect he would be parroting out the official obfuscation strategy as well.
  • Options
    kjh said:

And almost as exciting as a trip to Columbia I have had my first ever visit to a Greggs at Liverpool Street station as I make my way to Southwold to collect the car we abandoned there when I had to drive up to collect my wife last week after she broke her wrist. How the other half live eh.

Oh dear, commiserations to your wife. I broke my wrist last November, I was recommended to have surgery, though I was told that I could opt for non-surgical "fixation" which avoids an operation but means a longer period in plaster. I opted for surgery and I've been glad I did - I had the plaster off two weeks after the op and could immediately use the wrist for light activity, gradually increasing the amount of weight I could put on it until now, 12 weeks after the op, flexibility and strength is more or less as it was before. So to anyone in a similar position I would recommend taking the surgical route.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,155
    Selebian said:

Completely off-topic, but I love the Star's Kate photo mockup:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-68540733

Is The Star essentially a daily edition of Viz?
  • Options
    Taz said:

WillG said:

The worst thing about the BBC News Story was it portrayed the victim as a racist who had been around the block a few times.
    And they still haven't apologized, even while they plaster the Hester story across their website. Institutionalized racism.
  • Options
    edited March 12

Nigelb said:

If he were still in cabinet I suspect he would be parroting out the official obfuscation strategy as well.
    Possibly.
    But nonetheless, credit where due for a clear statement.
  • Options
    A Twitter discussion by African Brits, on widespread fraud by migrant Africans, creating fake nurses and fake doctors

It was soon deleted, tho one of the tweeters stands by the assertion. If true, this is massive. It means we are importing fraudulent and unqualified medical staff. The NHS just gets better

• Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 437

* though maybe we don't have trusts anymore - I see that my GP practice apparently works for NHS South East London Integrated Care System, whatever that is, another Tory failure has been endless structural tinkering which has served only to make the system more byzantine and incomprehensible than it was before.

Provider Trusts still exist. Integrated Care Systems are the Hancock version of what was Clinical Commissioning Groups (Lansley reforms), which were previously Primary Care Trusts (Dobson/Milburn reforms), before them they were Area Health Authorities.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,155
    isam said:

It’s quite something the way Boris Johnson wins all these elections, referendums, and mayoralty’s in real life, but is always such a drag with the voters in academic theory… and politico’s buy the theory

It will be interesting to see if he *does* go and campaign, because he has a history of only choosing to fight winning battles (c.f. his abortive first run at Party Leader)
  • Options
    edited March 12

nico679 said:

Even if Johnson gained back every vote in the red wall (SPOILER: he won't!), they are still not addressing the massive fall in their vote in the blue wall. Their rhetoric on ignoring net zero will only make the blue wall losses greater.
    Rubbish. The true costs and utter futility of our current Net Zero trajectory are going to be just as unpopular in the blue wall as the red wall. The argument that we should look after the environment but not commit economic suicide in so doing (see Germany - few class them as environment wreckers) isn't an identity issue, it's a bread and butter survival issue.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Taz said:

Especially younger men.

My alma mater cancelled recognition of International Men's Day as being work of the patriarchy.

Men's issues are more relevant than ever given there is currently a major European war going on for the first time in 70 years. Men are the main victims of war.

Acknowledging men face certain unique harms doesn't mean taking away from women's issues. As much as some identity politics types like to turn it into us vs them.

Your Alma Mater is, quite frankly, fucked up with that thinking.

Men's issues are relevant and it does not make womens health issues any less relevant.

The general reluctance of men, as a group, not to talk about health issues or see the Doctor when needed is something to be combatted.

Where I work has many faults, but their approach to both International Womens and International Mens day is spot on.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,336

kamski said:

Stop it.

I don't have any opinion on how likely a May election is, and have never offered one. I didn't see anything from you that justified the certainty you seemed to have.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,572
    Leon said:

Incidentally there is definitely “AI” manipulation in the royal image. Absolute hallmarks. Also I am pretty convinced the Mirror photo Ed is correct: the AI took the Vogue cover shot of Kate’s face and reworked it into this composite. Quite a desperate move, as the Vogue photo is years old

Failed cosmetic surgery?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,724

Stop it.

I'm pretty sure that was DavidL, and I agree with him. You need more than just the 25 working campaign days because you need a week to finish Parliamentary business.

If it hasn't been called by next Monday (at the latest), it won't be May.
    Given Sunak, I strongly suspect it'll then either be October or he might decide to just think 'screw it all' and hang on till January 2025.

Question for the PB Brain Trust: If he just lets the clock run out, does that just set the election as Tuesday 28th January 2025 therefore?
  • Options
    kjh said:

You’re not helping me decide. I have one week left. I can either go along the coast to Santa Marta, death place of Bolivar, under the spectacular Sierra Nevada mountains. Or I can plunge inland into searing heat, and a totally forgotten corner of Colombia

The first is obviously more practical. And not a bad
    option. But the second is the road less travelled…
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,871
    DM_Andy said:

* though maybe we don't have trusts anymore - I see that my GP practice apparently works for NHS South East London Integrated Care System, whatever that is, another Tory failure has been endless structural tinkering which has served only to make the system more byzantine and incomprehensible than it was before.

Provider Trusts still exist. Integrated Care Systems are the Hancock version of what was Clinical Commissioning Groups (Lansley reforms), which were previously Primary Care Trusts (Dobson/Milburn reforms), before them they were Area Health Authorities.
    IMHO, the biggest mistake in recent NHS history was New Labour's out-of-the-blue abolition of Community Health Councils.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,535
    edited March 12
    Leon said:

A Twitter discussion by African Brits, on widespread fraud by migrant Africans, creating fake nurses and fake doctors

It was soon deleted, tho one of the tweeters stands by the assertion. If true, this is massive. It means we are importing fraudulent and unqualified medical staff. The NHS just gets better

Brexit benefit, innit. Slashing onerous EU red tape, actually having to hold a qualification

My sis is a nurse and has commented on increased NHS recruitment of nurses from Africa post-Brexit. It's causing language problems too, as the spoken English of African people isn't as good as the Europeans we used to have
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,108
    Absolutely bloody useless AI generated website https://www.oddjobmanuk.co.uk/
  • Options

Leon said:

Failed cosmetic surgery?
    I do hope not. The pressure to stay youthful is quite intense in the public eye.
  • Options

What a weird take? Who is denying male to female violence?

And what the eff is white privilege?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,704
    Leon said:

kjh said:

You’re not helping me decide. I have one week left. I can either go along the coast to Santa Marta, death place of Bolivar, under the spectacular Sierra Nevada mountains. Or I can plunge inland into searing heat, and a totally forgotten corner of Colombia

The first is obviously more practical. And not a bad
    option. But the second is the road less travelled…
    To be honest I don't think I am going to be able to help. Best i can do is a review of Greggs, but I suspect that's not going to be available to you sadly.

Whatever you decide have a damn good time. I'll be thinking of you as I sup my pint of Broadside in the Sole Bay tonight
  • Options
    eek said:

nico679 said:

Probably some of his best friends are black too, so that proves it.
    Well not best friends, but he knows them, and they sit in the corner, so that proves it.
    He pointed out that all the women of Chinese origin sat in the same office corner
    That was the joke.
  • Options

Leon said:

Brexit benefit, innit. Slashing onerous EU red tape, actually having to hold a qualification

My sis is a nurse and has commented on increased NHS recruitment of nurses from Africa post-Brexit. It's causing language problems too, as the spoken English of African people isn't as good as the Europeans we used to have
    Ah, so Diane Abbott is not the only recipient of racism it seems.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065

Stop it.

I'm pretty sure that was DavidL, and I agree with him. You need more than just the 25 working campaign days because you need a week to finish Parliamentary business.

If it hasn't been called by next Monday (at the latest), it won't be May.
    Given Sunak, I strongly suspect it'll then either be October or he might decide to just think 'screw it all' and hang on till January 2025.

Question for the PB Brain Trust: If he just lets the clock run out, does that just set the election as Tuesday 28th January 2025 therefore?
    This would also mean a very short campaign. Campaigning is something that the little shit is not good at and does not enjoy. We'd also have the Trump inauguration or civil war in the middle of it.
  • Options
    Taz said:

kamski said:

Stop it.

I recall being accused of "cyberbullying" on here for having the temerity to ask @williamglenn whether he would vote for Trump, given the chance.

Reminds me of the sketch in The Office where David Brent is pulled up for telling a racist joke. He said it was alright as the Black Guy wasn't offended :smile:
    Question then - is it ok for a black guy to tell a joke about white men, as long as the white men aren't offended?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216
    edited March 12
    Sport can be cruel, and as delighted as I was for Hamilton in 2008, I felt for Massa. However, this suggests that it still hurts him today and that is really sad:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/11/felipe-massa-legal-fight-f1-bernie-ecclestone-2008-lewis-hamilton-title

Lewis Hamilton’s first Formula One world championship is the subject of legal action after Felipe Massa filed a lawsuit against Formula One, its ­governing body, the FIA, and the sport’s former supremo Bernie Ecclestone in London’s high court on Monday.
  • Options

White privilege is the ability to not have to learn about white privilege.
  • Options

Leon said:

Broken English is not ideal. But with smartphones I guess it can be handled as they improve. But if these African nurses and doctors are actually and entirely unqualified - their degrees taken by clever relatives - then we will soon see calamities in the NHS, and people dying. This is pretty serious

It is also justification for crude racism. A refusal to be treated by African NHS staff is now logical
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,108
    edited March 12
    I am fucking furious. i have just spent a hour looking for about four or five handymen in my area. Both Google and Bing have degraded to the point where this is not possible. What they provide is:
    • Google-generated suggestions. These are webpages generated by Google on-the-fly containing lists of those in my area. they don't contain links to the websites and hence have no galleries to inspect
    • Trader sites (checkatrade, trust-a-trader). Again do not have websites
    • Directories (Yell). Seriously degraded. Some entries do not exist
    • Quote request sites (Myworkman.co.uk). These are sites that allow you to spec a job and ask multiple people for quotes. Useless if your spec has images or diagrams
    • AI-generated website (https://www.oddjobmanuk.co.uk/). These are sites that are generated by other sites on-the-fly. Lots of words, no information.
    Fucking annoying and rather scary. As has been observed, Google is gradually becoming useless.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    Taz said:

kamski said:

Stop it.

A ludicrously poor attempt at an analogy given that Brent WAS being racist and I WAS NOT cyberbullying.
  • Options

Taz said:

kamski said:

Stop it.

Question then - is it ok for a black guy to tell a joke about white men, as long as the white men aren't offended?
    Neither is okay.
  • Options

Everyone has different advantages and disadvantages in life, for sure. I am very lucky. I had two loving parents who are still married after 50+ years, a stable home life, and attended a grammar school. I have since studied and worked at Uni ever since.

Some of that is down to my ability, some is luck. A black kid born on a sink estate with an absent father may be seen as someone who has not had the breaks in life, and that's true. But I believe in this country we try very hard to give people an even chance. Far better than most other places.
  • Options
    Just Stop Oil are threatening to disrupt peoples summer holidays by sitting on runways to stop flights.

Apparently.

Not sure if I buy this or whether it is just GB News creating a story out of very little.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/gb-news-hosts-clash-with-just-stop-oil-campaigner-over-plans-to-disrupt-summer-flights/ar-BB1jHFNJ?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=b0ab977e7f534df1ae6f65621afa7c7c&ei=7
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    viewcode said:

I am fucking furious. i have just spent a hour looking for about four or five handymen in my area. Both Google and Bing have degraded to the point where this is not possible. What they provide is:

• Google-generated suggestions. These are webpages generated by Google on-the-fly containing lists of those in my area. they don't contain links to the websites and hence have no galleries to inspect
    • Quote request sites (Myworkman.co.uk). These are sites that allow you to spec a job and ask multiple people for quotes. Useless if your spec has images or diagrams
    • AI-generated website (https://www.oddjobmanuk.co.uk/). These are sites that are generated by other sites on-the-fly. Lots of words, no information.
    Fucking annoying and rather scary. As has been observed, Google is gradually becoming useless.
    Facebook is my go to for this sort of stuff if I don't already have an appropriate contact.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    mwadams said:

Selebian said:

Completely off-topic, but I love the Star's Kate photo mockup:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-68540733

Is The Star essentially a daily edition of Viz?
    The Daily Star is a genius paper. The best daily by a country mile.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    Taz said:

Taz said:

kamski said:

Stop it.

Neither is okay.
    Might as well shut down all humour then. Is the sketch about eating bland English food racist? Is it mocking English people asking for the 'hottest dish on the menu' in Asian restaurants?
  • Options

Leon said:

Failed cosmetic surgery?
    I do hope not. The pressure to stay youthful is quite intense in the public eye.
    What kind of cosmetic surgery needs weeks in hospital?

I guess it is possible she had some cosmetic surgery done even as she had other surgery. Maybe. I dunno

Poor Kate. It all feels very ominous
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

kamski said:

Stop it.

Neither is okay.
    Might as well shut down all humour then.
    Or just have wall to wall re-runs of love thy neighbour.

• Options

Everyone has different advantages and disadvantages in life, for sure. I am very lucky. I had two loving parents who are still married after 50+ years, a stable home life, and attended a grammar school. I have since studied and worked at Uni ever since.

Some of that is down to my ability, some is luck. A black kid born on a sink estate with an absent father may be seen as someone who has not had the breaks in life, and that's true. But I believe in this country we try very hard to give people an even chance. Far better than most other places.
    Sure, we are better than most other places and should be proud of that. Equally there are still problems and it is very obvious what white privilege is, even if it is a divisive term I would not personally encourage.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712

nico679 said:

How many seat losses are you expecting in the blue wall?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I’ve used hamuch.com in the past. Cheaper than silversaints. Brisk and efficient
  • Options

nico679 said:

Quite a few and considerably more if that fool Johnson is allowed anywhere near the cameras come GE time
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I've used rated people once or twice, you can add photos and drawings and you get the web addresses of traders who express an interest in your job.

But it has become a lot more difficult to find small builders/handymen in recent years and those that are still around are much more expensive. Brexit, Covid etc etc......
  • Options
    Bibi could be ousted, according to the US, due to concerns over his strategy in Gaza.

Bad news, if it happens, for the resident Likudniks here.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/israel-could-see-netanyahu-ousted-from-power-us-predicts/ar-BB1jIifP?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=ef621bb3c0574f5ba0509b28c5ec4ae3&ei=21
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,535
    Taz said:

Leon said:

What's racist about that? I'm not saying African people can't speak English well because they're black. It's probably due to poorer educational systems in Africa because they're poorer countries. You could then discuss why they're poorer when so often they are resource-rich, which then brings you onto discussing colonialism and its aftermath, the general pillaging of the continent over centuries.

But then you knew that, didn't you.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,519
    us inflation edges higher.

bad day for biden.

• Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

kamski said:

Stop it.

Neither is okay.
    Might as well shut down all humour then. Is the sketch about eating bland English food racist? Is it mocking English people asking for the 'hottest dish on the menu' in Asian restaurants?
    Yes its a little bit racist depending on your definition of racist, but its hard to see how it is particularly offensive. In comedy how funny it is, the audience, setting, the intent and delivery all matter. A lot of observational comedy is built on stereotypes, only a sliver of that genre is both offensive and designed to hurt.

And politicians in mainstream political parties, including someone donating a third of their annual budget, will be held to stricter standards than comics.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065
    Kategate is notable because the RF are being mercilessly mocked. The memes just won't stop coming on my socials. The feels like a new and deleterious development for the institution.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,089
    Taz said:

Just Stop Oil are threatening to disrupt peoples summer holidays by sitting on runways to stop flights.

Apparently.

Not sure if I buy this or whether it is just GB News creating a story out of very little.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/gb-news-hosts-clash-with-just-stop-oil-campaigner-over-plans-to-disrupt-summer-flights/ar-BB1jHFNJ?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=b0ab977e7f534df1ae6f65621afa7c7c&ei=7

That would be incredibly dangerous and could cause a danger to both the lives of passengers on the planes aswell as the protesters . That IMO is a step too far and crosses a red line .
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,202
    viewcode said:

Do you have any local groups you could get recommendations from? We have a street WhatsApp group that includes a spreadsheet of recommended local tradespeople.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,539
    Taz said:

Apparently.

I expect it's one of a number of ideas being discussed and considered. It's the sort of thing undercover police would suggest, as it would enable them to use anti-terrorism powers against the protestors.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,719
    Tres said:

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Jessop, quite agree. It's similar to the way the media reporting implies violence against women is higher than violence against men, when the reverse is true. Or the report, some time ago now, into groping and the like against MPs' staff was worse against male employees.

Cyclefree, much as I love her input to this forum, goes big on the number of women killed by men each year, but fails to mention the fair higher number of men killed by men.
    won't someone think about the men, sad tear emoji
    There was a cringe moment in a discussion on TV, IIRC, where a feminist of note started laughing when the suicide stats for men vs women was mentioned.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It’s the Fez!

My free tips. 🐎

Cheltenham 1.30 - Mystical Power
    Cheltenham 2.10 - Il Etait Temps
    Cheltenham 2.50 - Chianti Classico
    Cheltenham 3:30 - State Man
    Cheltenham 4:10 - Lossiemouth
    Cheltenham 4:50 - Liari
    Cheltenham 5.30 - Apple Away

Are these the only tips posted? I was looking for the mini thread.

Amazed that Nicholls only has one horse today, I will be on Liari. Looks like Mullins for nearly clean sweep otherwise
    The fact it’s softer/heavier than anticipated all season, does add a question or two over some of the fancied runners. Especially those stepping up in distance as well, we will find out about their stamina.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

What's racist about that? I'm not saying African people can't speak English well because they're black. It's probably due to poorer educational systems in Africa because they're poorer countries. You could then discuss why they're poorer when so often they are resource-rich, which then brings you onto discussing colonialism and its aftermath, the general pillaging of the continent over centuries.

But then you knew that, didn't you.
    And the issue of falsified credentials is a function of the corruption index of the country involved. Which isn’t correlated to race.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,724

I think on balance I’d like it to be May but I need to remove that from what is most likely.

My gut says Sunak is trying to stay PM as long as possible. But on the other hand will he actually make it to the end of the year?

If Sunak genuinely intends for a January 2025 election (to stay as long as possible) then he won't announce it to anyone. The Conservatives would remove him if they thought he would hang on to the death.

So instead, mutter about an Autumn election, which he's done and his party accepts. However, just do nothing. When mid September comes, and Brady(?) comes to Sunak and asks when the announcement is going to be, Sunak just says, "Ha, fooled you. It's Tuesday 28th January 2025 after all, and its too late to replace me now."

Brady and his party will be furious, but Sunak would be right. They couldn't replace him in time to force an October election, so they're knackered.

I'm not a betting man (hence why I'm on this site) but it might be worth a few quid on Sunak to still be PM on 31st December - not just the outside possibility he wins the election, but to cover the possibility it hasn't yet been held.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,638

nico679 said:

Another barb on the Conservative Torture Machine.

The voters who are probably easiest to win back are Reform defectors in Red Wall seats.

But the seats that it's probably easiest and most useful to win back or hold onto are in the Blue Wall.

Trying to do either will actively annoy the other...
  • Options

Taz said:

Apparently.

I expect it's one of a number of ideas being discussed and considered. It's the sort of thing undercover police would suggest, as it would enable them to use anti-terrorism powers against the protestors.

Taz said:

Apparently.

I think the people involved are of a mindset to consider whatever they do, justified.

Police provocation has happened. Just not sure it is needed.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696
    edited March 12

nico679 said:

Rubbish. The true costs and utter futility of our current Net Zero trajectory are going to be just as unpopular in the blue wall as the red wall. The argument that we should look after the environment but not commit economic suicide in so doing (see Germany - few class them as environment wreckers) isn't an identity issue, it's a bread and butter survival issue.
    The supposed need for additional gas-fired capacity arises from the latest delay to Hinkley Point C which was due to be complete by 2028, but is now expected in 2029-2031 (cynics might say that the two year range is a negotiating ploy by EDF).

Our remaining AGR stations shut down in 2028, and Sizewell B is due to close in 2035. It's the latter that is causing concern - any further delays to HPC would take us uncomfortably close to that 2035 shutdown of Sizewell B.

If we were to find ourselves without any operational nuclear capacity at all, current projections from the National Grid ESO suggest that we could be looking at up to 27.9 hours of blackouts every winter (in the worst scenario, with no nuclear or hydrogen) from 2035 until HPC is operational.

Now, you might think that simply re-certifying Sizewell B for another 5 years might be a sensible idea at this point. EDF say that's technically feasible, but a decision to start the process needs to be taken this year. Negotiations about costs are currently underway...

Yesterday's announcement from Sunak should be seen in the context of those negotiations - but it also gives him a few "fuck the greenies" points to play with in the run-up to the election.

I strongly doubt that any additional conventional CCGT plant will be built as a result of this. Expect Sizewell B recertification to get given the go-ahead by the next government if this one doesn't do the deal in time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,519

nico679 said:

Quite a few and considerably more if that fool Johnson is allowed anywhere near the cameras come GE time
    Sunak will probably send Johnson to Manchester to tell them all about levelling up.

• Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

kamski said:

Stop it.

Neither is okay.
    Might as well shut down all humour then.
    Or just have wall to wall re-runs of love thy neighbour.

I'd prefer Till Death Us Do Part and In Sickness and in Health, where the butt of the jokes is the old white racist having his nonsense shown up for what it is.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Sunak will probably send Johnson to Manchester to tell them all about levelling up.

The £288m for Canary Wharf surely can't be argued with?
  • Options

Sure, we are better than most other places and should be proud of that. Equally there are still problems and it is very obvious what white privilege is, even if it is a divisive term I would not personally encourage.
    The use of white privilege as a term is just wrong. What white privilege does a boy born on a sink estate to a single mother on benefits with an absent father have compared to a black boy born into an upper middle class family who attends a good school etc. Its meaningless.
  • Options
    Wow. What a race!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,572
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Failed cosmetic surgery?
    What kind of cosmetic surgery needs weeks in hospital?

I guess it is possible she had some cosmetic surgery done even as she had other surgery. Maybe. I dunno

Poor Kate. It all feels very ominous
    Conversely, what kind of "abdominal" surgery causes you to desperately hide your face from the adoring monarchist faithful for weeks?
This discussion has been closed.