Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The situation has developed not necessarily to Kemi Badenoch’s advantage – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696

ydoethur said:

@kateferguson4
    🚨🚨🚨

Hearing the SNP are seeking urgent discussions with Tories about getting rid of Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle after todays Gaza amendment row

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1760304767434150198

SNP teaming up with Tories will play *really well* north of the border...
    1979 all over again!
    The Tories could vote for the SNP motion in a game of bluff and counter bluff. Ideally sufficient Tories would abstain to ensure it was passed on the votes of Labour rebels.
    I believe the unamended motion only gets voted on if no amendments are accepted. So that would need the Tories to vote down their own amendment...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183

ydoethur said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Sky reporting that Starmer threatened to remove Hoyle as speaker if he did not select the labour amendment

This is the one to watch as this develops

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-live-defence-secretary-to-make-commons-statement-after-failed-nuclear-deterrent-launch-12593360

I don’t believe this and Labour don’t have the votes for it this side of the GE .

The so called precedent looked ridiculous anyway .
    It is what Jon Craig of Sky reported
    In this parliament Labour can do zip to remove Hoyle , they don’t have the votes . Craig is being his customary drama queen believing any old nonsense he’s told .
    They would have the votes if the Tories feel like changing the Speaker as well. I don't know whether any or many of them do feel like that.
    Labour will be happy for Hoyle stay on until the GE . Why would Labour want to get rid of him now . Tories of course have the votes to remove him after his decision today.

This is the first time Hoyle has made a controversial decision so it does look over the top to remove him .
    If it is true that Labour essentially told Hoyle they would unseat him if he didn’t call the amendment, which is what the BBC are suggesting, then the other parties should remove the Speaker.

To bow to party political pressure is exactly what a Speaker shouldn’t do, so I’d say they’re well within their rights.
    Labour say it’s not true.
    What Mandy Rhys-Davies said!
    I think you can trust politicians to tell the truth. I mean, take Kemi Badenoch. People thought she was lying and then it turned out… oh.
    :D

Made me actually LOL.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

So we can now go back to thinking Starmer's not a misunderstood tactical genius again.

Thank goodness for that.

He's a brilliant lawyer with a brilliant trap to ensnare his opponents.

Starmer: Richard Rampton

SNP: David Irving.
    I don't recall Mr Rampton nobbling the learned Mr Justice Gray and changing the court procedures to suit himself.
    Well, in one way he did. He asked Irving to translate a document, as the translator wasn't present. He then gave Irving one that he'd apparently picked up by mistake, and got him to read a translation into the record.

Three weeks later, Irving found that this was actually a crucial extract from a longer letter that he had deliberately mistranslated in one of his books. He realised this when Rampton read his translation back to him...
    Quite apart from anything else, this trial has been fascinating to hear about today and yesterday (from @TSE too just now). A quick look suggests that it took Prof Evans two years of his time, for which he was paid of course. I see he's written a book about that trial. Any good?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527

ydoethur said:

So we can now go back to thinking Starmer's not a misunderstood tactical genius again.

Thank goodness for that.

@OwenJones84
    If this was Boris Johnson behaving like this, quite rightly, “centrist” commentators would be howling in outrage.

They’d call it thuggery, blackmail and an assault on the democratic system.

Let’s see how they respond to this, shall we!

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1760317560942203153
    Oh good god, I…. I…. agree with Owen Jones.

I think I need a lie down.
    Really? Telling someone that if he makes a decision you disagree with, you will vote against him at the next election? What's wrong with that?
    Because we could really do without parties threatening Speakers if they don’t get their way. The whole point is that they are supposed to be the referee, and by asking them to depart from precedent and threatening their job if they do not do so, is not really in keeping with how the system should work. I’d say the same if it was any other party doing this, I have no particular beef with the Labour leadership generally. I just dislike bad practice.

However, the correct response to take in Hoyles position would have been to ignore the pressure. I am sure that Speakers have been threatened before by all and sundry and I’d hope that they’ve not responded to those threats. As the ref, they have to have a thick skin and ignore it. This is of course assuming that events transpired as are being reported.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

The Equalities minister Kemi Badenoch has not met with any LGBT organisations since getting the job in September 2022, but has met two groups which campaign against trans rights, according to a freedom of information request highlighted by Labour MP Ben Bradshaw #PMQs

https://x.com/adambienkov/status/1760282225621270646?s=46

Yep. Yet another lie told by her at the dispatch box. Lying on a multitude of subjects and on repeated occasions.

No wonder Tory members are such fans.
    Ben Bradshaw is also being a bit economical with the truth. She has met with Transgender and the LGB Alliance. They are not groups Bradshaw approves of. But that is not the point. There are differing opinions and listening to the views of groups other than Stonewall (whose approach has been recently criticised by the courts in recent legal judgments) and Mermaids, currently under investigation by the Charity Commission for serious governance issues, is sensible. He's pissed off that she won't just listen to Stonewall.

It is not an "extensive" list as claimed by Ms Badenoch. But it is certainly wider than, say, the Labour Party, which won't even allow Labour Womens Declaration to have a stall at Labour Conference.

(I will declare an interest here in that I played a very small part in helping with their response a while back to some proposals put forward by Anneliese Dodds.)
    With the best will in the world, it would be very difficult to describe "Transgender [Trend? Omitted word?]" and "LGB Alliance" as LGBT+ organisations, since they are defined in contradistinction to the "T" part.

By analogy, it's like inviting the Church of Satan to a consultation on Christian church regulation and not inviting the Roman Catholic Church.
    And then have someone quibbling about a complaint that no Christians had been invited, because "there are differing opinions".
    A better analogy would be to consult only Opus Dei, claim they represent all Christians and ignore the women and others who would be adversely affected by Opus Dei's views. That is pretty much the position with Stonewall. Whatever their strengths they are not lawyers and their advice on the Equality Act has been found to be misleading and got organisations relying on it into legal trouble.

Parties should be consulting a wide range of stakeholders not just one single issue lobby group.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,393

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@kateferguson4
    🚨🚨🚨

Hearing the SNP are seeking urgent discussions with Tories about getting rid of Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle after todays Gaza amendment row

1979 all over again!
    SNP losing 80% of their seats would be an eyebrow raiser, but probably good news for Starmer.

Has he yet again played a blinder? Got the amendment he wanted, removed a speaker he doesn't like *and* fucked the SNP over all in one move?
    It seems it depends on whether the government accepts labours amendment or calls for a vote on theirs which puts labour back in the same position as if their amendment hadn't been called
    The problem is the SNP in Westminster have for the second time used the tragedy of Gaza as a weapon with which to attack Labour division. I suppose weaponising Gaza simply to damage your opponent is fair game, if morally bankrupt. I do find it somewhat ironic nonetheless that the SNP bellyache that their silly game has been scuppered by a Labour silly game
  • Options
    Leon said:

Who is making our Trident missiles? Is it Boeing?

"Boeing 757-200 Diverted From Route After Suffering Damage To One Of Its Wings"

https://x.com/zerohedge/status/1760302382905237815?s=20

Jeez. It sounds like the wing simply.... fell apart

????

757s aren't exactly new - first flew in 1982, newest one built in 2004.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

Carnyx said:

Lol, is this the actual footage of the missile launch? Hope someone puts the Curb Your Enthusiasm music to it.

https://x.com/TyrelWallace/status/1760219532566597717?s=20

Looks awfully like the video from a very early US test launch of Trident II - decades back, IIRC.

The video quality is certainly not modern.
    It does. From memory maybe late 1980s. Steve Bell drew one If cartoon based on that test.

Ah - found it. 1989.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2013/january/trident-ii-flipping-flop
    Uniondivvie please explain. Are you fake news?
    Like any pro I started my original post with a question.
    All charges dropped.
    Alongs your avatar isn’t fake. I want it to be true.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,159

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@kateferguson4
    🚨🚨🚨

1979 all over again!
    SNP losing 80% of their seats would be an eyebrow raiser, but probably good news for Starmer.

Has he yet again played a blinder? Got the amendment he wanted, removed a speaker he doesn't like *and* fucked the SNP over all in one move?
    It seems it depends on whether the government accepts labours amendment or calls for a vote on theirs which puts labour back in the same position as if their amendment hadn't been called
    The problem is the SNP in Westminster have for the second time used the tragedy of Gaza as a weapon with which to attack Labour division. I suppose weaponising Gaza simply to damage your opponent is fair game, if morally bankrupt. I do find it somewhat ironic nonetheless that the SNP bellyache that their silly game has been scuppered by a Labour silly game
    Two cheeks of the same arse, at least the SNP losers forced the labour Hypocrites to do something even if both are just virtue signalling. Fit SNP better if they did some work on Scotland rather than whining constantly about affairs well outside their remit.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Thank goodness for that.

I don't recall Mr Rampton nobbling the learned Mr Justice Gray and changing the court procedures to suit himself.
    Well, in one way he did. He asked Irving to translate a document, as the translator wasn't present. He then gave Irving one that he'd apparently picked up by mistake, and got him to read a translation into the record.

Three weeks later, Irving found that this was actually a crucial extract from a longer letter that he had deliberately mistranslated in one of his books. He realised this when Rampton read his translation back to him...
    Quite apart from anything else, this trial has been fascinating to hear about today and yesterday (from @TSE too just now). A quick look suggests that it took Prof Evans two years of his time, for which he was paid of course. I see he's written a book about that trial. Any good?
    It is an excellent book.

And Evans' battles to get it published over the threat of further vexatious suits from Irving is a saga in itself
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Thank goodness for that.

It is an excellent book.

And Evans' battles to get it published over the threat of further vexatious suits from Irving is a saga in itself
    Thanks! now ordered.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Thank goodness for that.

It is an excellent book.

Thanks! now ordered.
    Excellent book, highly recommended.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Thank goodness for that.

It is an excellent book.

Thanks! now ordered.
    There is a certain irony that it is published by Verso - one of the loudest claimers that there is no antiSemtism in the Labour party, and it's all made up by evil Zionists...
This discussion has been closed.