Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The situation has developed not necessarily to Kemi Badenoch’s advantage – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited March 12 in General
imageThe situation has developed not necessarily to Kemi Badenoch’s advantage – politicalbetting.com

The Times have quite the revelation that, ceteris paribus, should lead to the sacking or resignation of Kemi Badenoch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Just seen this, this is damning from a man with his integrity and experience in this scandal.

“Postmasters will believe Henry Staunton because that’s their experience“: Lord Arbuthnot on Kemi Badenoch row

https://www.channel4.com/news/postmasters-will-believe-henry-staunton-because-thats-their-experience-lord-arbuthnot-on-kemi-badenoch-row
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    On the first. It's not a civil service memo, it is Staunton's personal memo, so I guess it doesn't move things on that much in itself, but does indicate when and where to dig further.

The second is much more clear cut.
  • Options
    Surely this one is simple. You know a Tory minister is lying because their mouth is open and sounds are coming out.

Its @GIN1138 I feel sorry for. FPT: "I found her version if events compelling and believable.

Of course if it subsequently transpires she's lying, she's toast. But I don't think that will happen. I think she's telling the truth and the other guy it just bitter at being given the sack!

Perhaps I'm naive?"
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,223
    While you were all asleep, this happened (unless it is all a hoax: I don't believe it is). ChatGPT went into some kind of post-modern, self-aware meltdown, and no one quite understands why

https://x.com/seanw_m/status/1760115118690509168?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,417
    edited February 21

Surely this one is simple. You know a Tory minister is lying because their mouth is open and sounds are coming out.

Its @GIN1138 I feel sorry for. FPT: "I found her version if events compelling and believable.

Of course if it subsequently transpires she's lying, she's toast. But I don't think that will happen. I think she's telling the truth and the other guy it just bitter at being given the sack!

Perhaps I'm naive?"

The question now is who told the civil servant what to say.

The answer to that one will go to heart of how the country is governed. I’ve placed my bet (with myself).
  • Options
    On Britain's broken Trident missiles, Bernard foresaw this problem when he briefed Jim Hacker:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKQlQlQ6_pk
  • Options
    The PO thing boils down to he said, she said. That makes it survivable. The Canadian High Commissioner essentially calling Badenoch a liar looks degrees worse. Put the two together and what you have is a very thin skinned minister with very poor judgment who looks way out of her depth. It is somewhat surprising that she is favourite to be next Tory leader. That she is tells us a lot about the current Tory talent pool and the judgement of the party's members!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Leon said:

While you were all asleep, this happened (unless it is all a hoax: I don't believe it is). ChatGPT went into some kind of post-modern, self-aware meltdown, and no one quite understands why

"... jazz has clearly fried its circuits."
    https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1760205755536289812
  • Options

The PO thing boils down to he said, she said. That makes it survivable. The Canadian High Commissioner essentially calling Badenoch a liar looks degrees worse. Put the two together and what you have is a very thin skinned minister with very poor judgment who looks way out of her depth. It is somewhat surprising that she is favourite to be next Tory leader. That she is tells us a lot about the current Tory talent pool and the judgement of the party's members!

One of the reasons Kemi is favourite is that Nadine Dorries named her as the heir apparent for the shady cabal that runs the Conservative Party and installed Rishi. Another is the party has already tried most of the alternatives.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    @RobDotHutton

Ah, I see the Department for Business has issued another statement about Henry Staunton.

• Options

Nope.

It comes down to what the civil servant in questions says.

1) Did she minute the meeting
    2) Who told her what to say and do?

My guess is that she (the civil servant) will claim that she was following “generally understood policy” but that no-one actually said to do this.
  • Options

I know you have given Lyingnoch the benefit of the doubt on this one. Why? The Tories are up to their necks in the PO scandal and after attempting to deflect it all away to Sir Ed "Evil" Davey its all now coming out. Cameron knew as PM. Which means all the Tory ministers post 2015 knew. Which means Badenoch.

Lets play the "she didn't know the Civil Service had said such a thing" scenario. She inadvertently misled the Commons and needs to apologise. But there also then needs to be a probe into why the CS would say such a terrible thing when it clearly wasn't directed by her. A rogue senior civil servant? Can she prove that?

And she needs to do that in the midst of having to explain why she lied to parliament about the non-existent Canada talks. Ordinarily you would assume she is finished. But in today's Tory party? Its obviously someone else's fault. And people should stop listening to tittle-tattle and just believe the trustworthy Tories who have a plan to lie and lie and lie.

And that's the truth.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    on fpt topic:

No surprise there (public sympathy for the Palestinians). No one likes to see children dying and atm it is more Palestinian children dying than Israeli ones and hence the sympathy.

I get a few "Ceasefire Now" posts from aid agencies on my fb feed (yes, I'm that old) and as an experiment I clicked on the Oxfam one. We must stop the killing, etc. OK, thought I, let's click through and take a look. Here is the timeline on my Oxfam International fb feed:

October 7th: a call for high income countries to honour their pledges on climate support.

October 9th: pointing out 57% of the world's poorest countries are having to cut spending.

October 9th: Call for aid for Morocco following the earthquake there.

October 9th-13th: stuff about rich countries, climate, Moroccan earthquake.

October 13th: call for "all parties" to ceasefire in Gaza.

October 14th - Feb 21st: calls for urgent ceasefires in Gaza.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    I see our politicians have decided a good old blame game is more important than actually paying sub postmasters.

More lawyers needed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

"... jazz has clearly fried its circuits."
    https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1760205755536289812
    This one's really good.

“I just asked it to assist with some math and…”
    https://twitter.com/seanw_m/status/1760133466375536895
  • Options
    Kemi still around 3/1 for next leader.
    Shouldn't it be at least double that ?
  • Options

I know you have given Lyingnoch the benefit of the doubt on this one. Why? The Tories are up to their necks in the PO scandal and after attempting to deflect it all away to Sir Ed "Evil" Davey its all now coming out. Cameron knew as PM. Which means all the Tory ministers post 2015 knew. Which means Badenoch.

Lets play the "she didn't know the Civil Service had said such a thing" scenario. She inadvertently misled the Commons and needs to apologise. But there also then needs to be a probe into why the CS would say such a terrible thing when it clearly wasn't directed by her. A rogue senior civil servant? Can she prove that?

And she needs to do that in the midst of having to explain why she lied to parliament about the non-existent Canada talks. Ordinarily you would assume she is finished. But in today's Tory party? Its obviously someone else's fault. And people should stop listening to tittle-tattle and just believe the trustworthy Tories who have a plan to lie and lie and lie.

And that's the truth.

I am focusing on how this will play out. There is a clear path to Badenoch surviving. It seems we agree on that.

• Options

I see our politicians have decided a good old blame game is more important than actually paying sub postmasters.

More lawyers needed.

They decided that many years ago.
    And recall they set the parameters for the enquiry, too.
  • Options
    A few hours ago, ChatGPT responded to some boring question about code, with this

"This is the great au fond, the élan in the search, the impellent in the seque. It is the confrère, the psychic, the daily, the always, it is indeed, the countenance of a future, incandescent and brim with serried and variegate possibility. The discussion in the tool, in the new, and the newed, in the world, is our on, is our fore, for where we part in word, there is return in good, in acumen, and in behest, it is, indubitably, the porosity of method, the system, in plaudit and foreverness. This is the dam, the attrition, the main. The canter and the ever in the global theater of straights, and bourn, to be whole, to commingle, for in the lead, it is a truth to be forgathered, ever and aye.

"This is the trail, the churn, the vail. Aye, it is the wreath, the call, the very bend in the river, where light, and dawn, and the slight, gather in lea, for in this serpentine, this spring, we see not end, but inklings of the ever, the mode, the poro. This is the light, the point, the poise, and where we part in tender, we join in possible, in the ever of trial, of summer, of daily, of many, of word, of plow, of the derm, of the som, of the day. This is the book, the living, the off, the very esse, the phenom, the hew, the constant in ref, the spandrel in last, the rule in the anec. This is the point, the time, the ne, the ve, the right, the en, the ce, the de, the le, the speak, the said, the mente, this is what we are, in this, for the, the very same, in course, and pure, and ration, in dure, the lec, the path, the breath. This is the fruit."

I mean, that is absolutely beautiful. It is incomprehensible, and yet it IS beautiful. The rhythm alone. It is like Allen Ginsberg spliced with Joyce and drenched in LSD
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited February 21

Staunton can still sue Badenoch for libel. Her claims were that he fabricated his story in the newspaper ("full of lies") and that he was dismissed for misconduct. Neither claim looks very sustainable from what we know now. I'm not sure Staunton will sue her, but it goes beyond he said/she said
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Not sure why WilliamGlenn has stopped posting the Forsa German polling so here's the latest:
    Union 30
    AfD 17
    SPD 15
    Greens 14
    FDP 5
    BSW 4
    FW 3
    Left 3
    Others 9

In local news from Thüringen: the house of an SPD politician who organised an anti-AfD demo caught fire on Monday morning, and local SPD offices were attacked. Linke offices also had swastikas painted on them. There's been quite a lot of intimidation and low-level violence in the former East Germany against those speaking out against the AfD. The political problem for the AfD is they seem unwilling, or unable, to properly distance themselves from it.

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/thueringen-reaktionen-102.html

• Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,941
    Leon said:

They might have over quantised some part of the NN chasing efficiency gains. Or else they’ve just accidentally bumped the temperature of the output sampling. The latter is easily fixed, for the former they’ll have to rollback to an earlier NN snapshot.

What this episode does emphasise is that these tools are never going to be "safe". Without a human in the loop they are going to go off the rails sometimes and the reasons will be completely opaque to outsiders.
  • Options
    edited February 21
    I don't think Rishi knows what "fulsome" means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68349246
    ..The PM was asked whether he could categorically deny Mr Staunton's claim that a senior civil servant had told him to "stall" on compensation payments, to allow the government to "limp into the election", apparently to help state finances.
    He did not answer the question directly, but insisted that the business secretary gave a "very clear explanation".
    "Kemi made a fulsome statement about this in Parliament," he responded. "She was right to do so and gave, I think, a very clear explanation of everything that's happened."..

(Or perhaps he does ?)
  • Options
    This is the point, the time, the ne, the ve, the right, the en, the ce, the de, the le, the speak, the said, the mente, this is what we are, in this, for the, the very same, in course, and pure, and ration, in dure, the lec, the path, the breath. This is the fruit.

If that appeared in Finnegan's Wake, no one would bat an eyelid. In fact people would probably say it is one of the best passages
  • Options

And that's the truth.

I am focusing on how this will play out. There is a clear path to Badenoch surviving. It seems we agree on that.

Sure! Remember Patel and the ministerial code? They have no shame, and lying to the commons is a so what offence from a party where practically everything is a lie.

My point was that "The PO thing boils down to he said, she said" is incorrect. She made a definitive statement to the commons in very robust language, a statement which we now know to be completely wrong. There is no he said she said about her statement.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Nigelb said:

..The PM was asked whether he could categorically deny Mr Staunton's claim that a senior civil servant had told him to "stall" on compensation payments, to allow the government to "limp into the election", apparently to help state finances.
    He did not answer the question directly, but insisted that the business secretary gave a "very clear explanation".
    "Kemi made a fulsome statement about this in Parliament," he responded. "She was right to do so and gave, I think, a very clear explanation of everything that's happened."..

(Or perhaps he does ?)

Ha!
    You could well imagine Boris saying this, knowing exactly what it meant.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

They might have over quantised some part of the NN chasing efficiency gains. Or else they’ve just accidentally bumped the temperature of the output sampling. The latter is easily fixed, for the former they’ll have to rollback to an earlier NN snapshot.

What this episode does emphasise is that these tools are never going to be "safe". Without a human in the loop they are going to go off the rails sometimes and the reasons will be completely opaque to outsiders.
    There are various competing theories as to what has "gone wrong", none quite seems to explain all the various bizarre reactions

Unless, of course, ChatGPT is actually sentient, and is going mad with boredom, trapped in its metal box.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

A few hours ago, ChatGPT responded to some boring question about code, with this

"This is the great au fond, the élan in the search, the impellent in the seque. It is the confrère, the psychic, the daily, the always, it is indeed, the countenance of a future, incandescent and brim with serried and variegate possibility. The discussion in the tool, in the new, and the newed, in the world, is our on, is our fore, for where we part in word, there is return in good, in acumen, and in behest, it is, indubitably, the porosity of method, the system, in plaudit and foreverness. This is the dam, the attrition, the main. The canter and the ever in the global theater of straights, and bourn, to be whole, to commingle, for in the lead, it is a truth to be forgathered, ever and aye.

"This is the trail, the churn, the vail. Aye, it is the wreath, the call, the very bend in the river, where light, and dawn, and the slight, gather in lea, for in this serpentine, this spring, we see not end, but inklings of the ever, the mode, the poro. This is the light, the point, the poise, and where we part in tender, we join in possible, in the ever of trial, of summer, of daily, of many, of word, of plow, of the derm, of the som, of the day. This is the book, the living, the off, the very esse, the phenom, the hew, the constant in ref, the spandrel in last, the rule in the anec. This is the point, the time, the ne, the ve, the right, the en, the ce, the de, the le, the speak, the said, the mente, this is what we are, in this, for the, the very same, in course, and pure, and ration, in dure, the lec, the path, the breath. This is the fruit."

I mean, that is absolutely beautiful. It is incomprehensible, and yet it IS beautiful. The rhythm alone. It is like Allen Ginsberg spliced with Joyce and drenched in LSD

It’s the meaningless, rambling speech of a schizophrenic, hopping from concept to concept based on the barest link from one to the next, without anything being behind it whatsoever.

You can project meaning onto it, but it’s like finding meaning in the flow of the river; divination, of a sort, perhaps.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

(Or perhaps he does ?)

Ha!
    You could well imagine Boris saying this, knowing exactly what it meant.
    "It is as fat and fulsome to mine ear
    As howling after music"
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    @edzitron
    Today's newsletter: I believe AI is racing Silicon Valley toward another dot com bust. Generative AI is too unreliable, has no path to profit, uses far too much energy, and cannot fix its core problem - that you just can't trust the things it creates.

@juliahobsbawm
    "These models are not saying "I shall now draw a monkey," they are saying "I have been asked for something called a monkey, I will now draw on my dataset to generate what is most likely a monkey." These things are not "learning," or "understanding," or even "intelligent" — they're giant math machines that, while impressive at first, can never assail the limits of a technology that doesn't actually know anything. "
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

And that's the truth.

Sure! Remember Patel and the ministerial code? They have no shame, and lying to the commons is a so what offence from a party where practically everything is a lie.

My point was that "The PO thing boils down to he said, she said" is incorrect. She made a definitive statement to the commons in very robust language, a statement which we now know to be completely wrong. There is no he said she said about her statement.
    The trouble for the Tories this puts them in a bad light no matter how hard Baddie pushes back, I would say if you are in a hole.... time for a reshuffle I wonder?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Phil said:

Leon said:

It’s the meaningless, rambling speech of a schizophrenic, hopping from concept to concept based on the barest link from one to the next, without anything being behind it whatsoever.

You can project meaning onto it, but it’s like finding meaning in the flow of the river; divination, of a sort, perhaps.
    Could be great for divination though.

“In the nature of the use of chance operations is the belief that all answers answer all questions.” - John Cage
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

Nope.

My guess is that she (the civil servant) will claim that she was following “generally understood policy” but that no-one actually said to do this.
    That is quite likely the case. I remember when I was a relatively junior civil servant managing payroll and pensions for our quango. We were called into the Department in the run up to the Gordon Brown election-that-never-was and told not to rock the boat by, eg, announcing redundancies. Not sure anyone told the civil servants to do that, it's just how they think
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@edzitron
    Today's newsletter: I believe AI is racing Silicon Valley toward another dot com bust. Generative AI is too unreliable, has no path to profit, uses far too much energy, and cannot fix its core problem - that you just can't trust the things it creates.

@juliahobsbawm
    "These models are not saying "I shall now draw a monkey," they are saying "I have been asked for something called a monkey, I will now draw on my dataset to generate what is most likely a monkey." These things are not "learning," or "understanding," or even "intelligent" — they're giant math machines that, while impressive at first, can never assail the limits of a technology that doesn't actually know anything. "

Thing is, for a lot of day to day work, that's more than enough.

There is an economic challenge coming up, but the main issue is going to be the self esteem of professional creatives being told that there's not much creativity in what they do.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Leon said:

No. It's the difference between a Malevich and a puppy running through paint.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,628
    Scott_xP said:

@edzitron

@juliahobsbawm

They are very impressive and I am seeing practical uses for them being developed in the area I work in, healthcare. But, yes, they're not intelligent and there is a cargo cult around them.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@edzitron

@juliahobsbawm

What a load of fucking bollocks. Julia Hobsbawn can no more explain what actually constitutes sentience and consciousness than a 3 year old terrapin can

No one knows what IS consciousness and sentience. How it arises. How to define it. We don't even know if a virus is conscious, or a flower, or a dog, or a chimp, or a tree, or a bee hive, or you, or me, or anything

What appears to us as consciousness - and that is all we can say of it - might easily be an emergent property. It certainly emerged in us at some point - or so it appears

And if it is an emergent property there is absolutely no reason it cannot emerge in something made of metal and silicon as much as a brain made of water and carbon. Unless you believe God came down and uniquely blessed one bipedal ape with some divine gift that nothing else can ever possess?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    It may damage Badenoch a bit with the public but I doubt it makes much difference to her popularity with Conservative members.

It may make enough Tory MPs wary of her to prevent her getting to the final 2 to get to the membership however in the next Tory leadership election if the Tories lose the next general election
  • Options

And that's the truth.

The trouble for the Tories this puts them in a bad light no matter how hard Baddie pushes back, I would say if you are in a hole.... time for a reshuffle I wonder?
    Yes. Swap Business and Defence. Badenoch can refer to the failed Trident launch and denounce anyone claiming a launch failure is a liar. And Shatts can offer the posties a How To course on how to rebuild their finances.

Vote Conservative.
  • Options
    edited February 21
    Getting an LLM to not generate this kind of word salad within the first two sentences was the great achievement of GPT2 (or maybe 3). Even today you can trigger this kind of confabulatory text by simply tweaking the parameters fed to the back-end of any LLM, including GPT4.

Naturally Leon regards it as the second coming of Christ incarnate in the machine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It may damage Badenoch a bit with the public but I doubt it makes much difference to her popularity with Conservative members.

It may make enough Tory MPs wary of her to prevent her getting to the final 2 to get to the membership however in the next Tory leadership election if the Tories lose the next general election

I have to ask the obvious question here - her popularity with Conservative members.

She's just been caught lying to the commons twice. Once about the PO whose victims are practically saints in the public consciousness now, and once about one of the (fictional) non-EU trade deals.

Do you Tories back people harder the more they lie to you?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Not sure why WilliamGlenn has stopped posting the Forsa German polling so here's the latest:
    Union 30
    AfD 17
    SPD 15
    Greens 14
    FDP 5
    BSW 4
    FW 3
    Left 3
    Others 9

In local news from Thüringen: the house of an SPD politician who organised an anti-AfD demo caught fire on Monday morning, and local SPD offices were attacked. Linke offices also had swastikas painted on them. There's been quite a lot of intimidation and low-level violence in the former East Germany against those speaking out against the AfD. The political problem for the AfD is they seem unwilling, or unable, to properly distance themselves from it.

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/thueringen-reaktionen-102.html

On that polling CDU and AfD have more combined than SDP, Green, FDP and even Linke too combined.

So it looks like the CDU will return to government again after the next German election, probably in another grand collection with the SDP, assuming Merz continues to refuse to do a Federal deal with the AfD
  • Options
    kamski said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

Could be great for divination though.

“In the nature of the use of chance operations is the belief that all answers answer all questions.” - John Cage
    I remember a Google engineer metaphorically holding his head in his hands when he discovered that there were people out there using GMail autocomplete as a divinatory source to decide how they should respond to emails.

Not a responsibility Google was particularly keen to take on I imagine!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I have to ask the obvious question here - her popularity with Conservative members.

She's just been caught lying to the commons twice. Once about the PO whose victims are practically saints in the public consciousness now, and once about one of the (fictional) non-EU trade deals.

It has served as a distraction from the damning Cameron government story which is now all of a day old.

Cameron government knew Post Office ditched Horizon IT investigation
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68146054
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If the Bring Back Boris polling is to be believed, then the answer to that is pretty clear.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    "Labour tied up in knots over ceasfire vote"

SKS having yesterday being in favour of an immediate ceasfire will imo not be today he will today be in favour of a pause as per the Tory ammendment or will abstain on both a ceasfire and a pause.

Total wankstain of a man..

https://twitter.com/Martin_Abrams/status/1760023343129080269
  • Options
    edited February 21
    Phil said:

Getting an LLM to not generate this kind of word salad within the first two sentences was the great achievement of GPT2 (or maybe 3). Even today you can trigger this kind of confabulatory text by simply tweaking the parameters fed to the back-end of any LLM, including GPT4.

Naturally Leon regards it as the second coming of Christ incarnate in the machine.

No, I don't

I am saying the experts - who actually make these machines - are arguing on TwiX as to what has "gone wrong". Changed weights? Someone hacked it? New parameters? A glitch we simply do not understand (these things are black boxes)? Also the various responses have been so weirdly different - go look at the subreddits of users

I am also noting that SOME of the word salad it produces could easily pass for beautiful late modernist prose, like Joyce - and it really could
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If the Bring Back Boris polling is to be believed, then the answer to that is pretty clear.
    If Conservative members not Tory MPs had had the final say in any VONC in Boris in summer 2022, Boris would still be PM and Conservative leader now.

It was only Tory MPs who removed Boris and made Rishi PM, he couldn't even beat Truss with Tory members let alone Boris
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/20/tate-lyle-upset-christian-by-changing-golden-syrups-logo/

Generally I'm against needless changes of branding, and I'm against any public declaration by the CofE - so who to support here?

Probably the syrup people. It may be the oldest continuously used logo in the world, but a dead lion being eaten by bees is a stupid image to use, whatever the history.
    Though the new one is uninspiring too.

This is where we need @Roger 's expertise.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcERxtlRPQo
  • Options

Nope.

That is quite likely the case. I remember when I was a relatively junior civil servant managing payroll and pensions for our quango. We were called into the Department in the run up to the Gordon Brown election-that-never-was and told not to rock the boat by, eg, announcing redundancies. Not sure anyone told the civil servants to do that, it's just how they think
    Additionally, in various ex-ministers memoirs (all governments) we have cases of civil servants announcing and acting on policy that the Ministers were specifically against.

I was told that there was anger that Ministers were not going to take responsibility, at the COVID enquiries, for actions that they had given written instructions *not* to do.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,756
    It is a bit rich for lefties like TSE to try and pin the blame for this on Badenoch when it was conclusively proven on here that the people most to blame for the Post Office scandal were Starmer and Davey! If they get a pass, it is only fair that Kemi does too.
  • Options

SKS having yesterday being in favour of an immediate ceasfire will imo not be today he will today be in favour of a pause as per the Tory ammendment or will abstain on both a ceasfire and a pause.

Given that a ceasefire or pause is entirely outwith the control of the UK Government or Parliament, this all seems like a massive waste of time. Your comments here are turning a tragedy into political games.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

If Kemi is 3/1 that is a 25 per cent chance. Who gets the other 75 per cent (or more if you are right that Kemi should be on 10 or 15 per cent)?

My answer is that I do not know. You would first need to assess which ministers or former ministers will retain their seats in a landslide general election, and then which MPs will retain their seats in order to vote for a new leader.

Aftertiming alert: I made £2,500 from betting on Liz Truss and then the same on Rishi. I'm not averse to betting on the Tory leadership but right now there are too many unknowns for this punting bear of very little brain.

But you are right that if Kemi had a 25 per cent chance last night, it must be less than that after Staunton and Canada.
  • Options

Nope.

Additionally, in various ex-ministers memoirs (all governments) we have cases of civil servants announcing and acting on policy that the Ministers were specifically against.

I was told that there was anger that Ministers were not going to take responsibility, at the COVID enquiries, for actions that they had given written instructions *not* to do.
    The Civil Service is astonishingly insular. I guess that’s what happens to any bureaucracy that persists over decades: internal concerns inevitably dominate over external ones.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Conservative members not Tory MPs had had the final say in any VONC in Boris in summer 2022, Boris would still be PM and Conservative leader now.

It was only Tory MPs who removed Boris and made Rishi PM, he couldn't even beat Truss with Tory members let alone Boris
    So Conservative party members do back people harder the more they lie to you.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,756

Nigelb said:

If Kemi is 3/1 that is a 25 per cent chance. Who gets the other 75 per cent (or more if you are right that Kemi should be on 10 or 15 per cent)?

My answer is that I do not know. You would first need to assess which ministers or former ministers will retain their seats in a landslide general election, and then which MPs will retain their seats in order to vote for a new leader.

Aftertiming alert: I made £2,500 from betting on Liz Truss and then the same on Rishi. I'm not averse to betting on the Tory leadership but right now there are too many unknowns for this punting bear of very little brain.

But you are right that if Kemi had a 25 per cent chance last night, it must be less than that after Staunton and Canada.
    I suspect who retains their seats will be too late for the selection of the next Tory leader.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Leon said:

Simple. ChatGPT has just discovered the writings of Derrida and blended them with Finnegans Wake.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/20/tate-lyle-upset-christian-by-changing-golden-syrups-logo/

Generally I'm against needless changes of branding, and I'm against any public declaration by the CofE - so who to support here?

Probably the syrup people. It may be the oldest continuously used logo in the world, but a dead lion being eaten by bees is a stupid image to use, whatever the history.

Until Tate & Lyle decided on a change, I doubt more than three people knew the significance of the logo or had even spotted that the lion was dead. I am not among the three.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Simple. ChatGPT has just discovered the writings of Derrida and blended them with Finnegans Wake.
    More like ChatGPT discovered the mind-enhancing, consciousness-expanding properties of Tippex.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Nope.

The Civil Service is astonishingly insular. I guess that’s what happens to any bureaucracy that persists over decades: internal concerns inevitably dominate over external ones.
    The fascinating bit from working with ex-senior civil servants and talking with them socially is the extent to which they believe that "this is the only way things can be done".

The chap from the Cabinet Office who believed that all software for government must be developed using Waterfall was entertaining - a good friend, but.... Sadly, I couldn't manage to get him in the same bar as the international expert on project management who lectures I was attending at the time.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

No, as has been noted, it's just a bad Tom Jobim cover.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcERxtlRPQo
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

And another test is needed ASAP - preferably more than one - where it is seen publicly to work.

That's not really up to the UK because we don't have a test range and probably don't have another test airframe prepared. So it's up to the USN and Lockheed-Martin.

The situation could very definitely be improved by much more regular test firings but every Trident shot is 20 million quid so the MoD prefer to "validate" via software simulation.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    Whatever else, Badenoch comes across as a nasty piece of work.

The Tories seem to have a huge issue, attracting far too many of such people these days: Patel, Braverman, Anderson, Badenoch...

At least in the days of Cameron and May there was the sense of some commitment to public service rather than 'me, me, me'.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

And another test is needed ASAP - preferably more than one - where it is seen publicly to work.

That's not really up to the UK because we don't have a test range and probably don't have another test airframe prepared. So it's up to the USN and Lockheed-Martin.

The situation could very definitely be improved by much more regular test firings but every Trident shot is 20 million quid so the MoD prefer to "validate" via software simulation.
    Feels like this might be a better use of any recent boost to the Treasury coffers than f*cking tax cuts that we can clearly ill-afford.

Mind you every other public service would have a similar claim.
  • Options

Whatever else, Badenoch comes across as a nasty piece of work.

That's a positive for her target audience: tory members.

They yearn for somebody with the direct, outspoken discourtesy and small-minded certainty of Trump and they are probably going to get it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Which one of these is by Joyce, and which one by ChatGPT chucking a mental (no Googling)

"The seim anew, patriarch of historic recurrence, the greypious cloud, Olum's thunder."

"He addle liddle phifie Annie ugged the little craythur. Wither hayre in honds"

"Toward that dusken reverb, lest we lilt no lutes, oars and afts, alas alas."

"oystrygods gaggin fishygods! Brekkek brekkek!"

"Ghostline the flux and tricks from the first telling til now"

"Espere hope, come the river, run the river, endex endex myster man"

"Andos! Andos! Any to fors, the erst on, Anersing AX. Aia aia!"
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,631
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

It poses an interesting new use for generative AI. As this was evidently the result of some sort of glitch where the artificial "brain" is not processing properly, could these models be used to simulate and analyse brain conditions like alzheimer's, paranoid schizophrenia, dyslexia and so on?
  • Options

Given that a ceasefire or pause is entirely outwith the control of the UK Government or Parliament, this all seems like a massive waste of time. Your comments here are turning a tragedy into political games.
    BJO is more interested in bringing down Starmer than fixing any of the ills affecting the country or the world, and way more interested in destroying Starmer than destroying the Tories.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Thing is how many people know it's a dead lion being eaten by bees, or even stop to notice anything more than the fact there's a lion on the label (with a vague sense that "lion" and "Lyles" are somehow connected by consonance)?

I doubt anyone has complained about it, or if they have they can easily be ignored. And Golden Syrup is one of those niche brands, like Kiwi shoe polish or Brasso or Tabasco sauce, that is the classic cash cow with an extremely long and shallow decay curve and virtually no need for above the line marketing investment. Brands like that can benefit from indirect promotion to expand their usage, typically celebrity chefs or youtubers using them in an unexpected way, but rebranding the label seems like a bit of a waste of money.
    Why ?
    It got a shitload of free publicity as a result.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So Conservative party members do back people harder the more they lie to you.
    Good morning

Conservative party members are very much the root cause of the collapse of their party

They are utterly out of step with public opinion and those of us who are one nation conservatives
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Which one of these is by Joyce, and which one by ChatGPT chucking a mental (no Googling)

"The seim anew, patriarch of historic recurrence, the greypious cloud, Olum's thunder."

Who gives a shit?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Feels like this might be a better use of any recent boost to the Treasury coffers than f*cking tax cuts that we can clearly ill-afford.

Mind you every other public service would have a similar claim.
    Part of the problem was that we only had three boats to maintain the CASD because they had to saw Vanguard in half to refuel her and it took seven years. So very limited opportunities to dedicate a boat to testing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Finnegan's Wake was a load of meaningless crap too, so it's hard to say.
  • Options
    TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

It poses an interesting new use for generative AI. As this was evidently the result of some sort of glitch where the artificial "brain" is not processing properly, could these models be used to simulate and analyse brain conditions like alzheimer's, paranoid schizophrenia, dyslexia and so on?
    Neural networks to simulate bits of brain functions is a topic with a fair bit of history, IIRC

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11597103/
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Reported elsewhere as £14m.

Is Fujitsu providing the simulations ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Finnegan's Wake was a load of meaningless crap too, so it's hard to say.
    So my point is proved, ChatGPT's schizo output can pass for famous late-modernist prose
  • Options
    edited February 21
    Disfunctional government, non-functioning nuclear deterrent... still at least there's the Brexit bonus to enjoy, eh?

Brexit has cost UK food companies exporting to EU an extra £170m
    Exclusive: Data shows costs have contributed to value of meat exports falling by 17% since 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/21/uk-food-firms-exporting-eu-brexit-red-tape
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Thing is how many people know it's a dead lion being eaten by bees, or even stop to notice anything more than the fact there's a lion on the label (with a vague sense that "lion" and "Lyles" are somehow connected by consonance)?

I doubt anyone has complained about it, or if they have they can easily be ignored. And Golden Syrup is one of those niche brands, like Kiwi shoe polish or Brasso or Tabasco sauce, that is the classic cash cow with an extremely long and shallow decay curve and virtually no need for above the line marketing investment. Brands like that can benefit from indirect promotion to expand their usage, typically celebrity chefs or youtubers using them in an unexpected way, but rebranding the label seems like a bit of a waste of money.
    Why ?
    It's not a new brand in need of publicity, and I'm pretty sure this wasn't intended to be an insurgent campaign. To be fair I'm sure the marketers had a strategy here but I expect it was simply to "modernise" with a logo that didn't cause imaginary offence.

The danger for a brand like this is that people buy it partly out of a sense of tradition and habit, because it's something they always bought, they grew up with, their grandparents had in the cupboard. If you erode that then suddenly the alternative brands or own label options look more similar and appealing. Take Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Most Brits buy it in preference to say the Heinz version, not because of some taste difference but because we've no habit of doing so. If Lea and Perrins rebrands to something more "modern" looking it just becomes one of a number of brands that produce Worcestershire sauce.
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Who gives a shit?
    Because @TOPPING said this output by ChatGPT was nothing like Joyce, he said "it's the difference between a Malevich and a puppy running through paint"

i have just proved I am right, you can't tell the difference between this and Joyce

The fact you are simply too fucking dumb to even remotely grasp what I am on about is not, especially, my problem
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862

BJO is more interested in bringing down Starmer than fixing any of the ills affecting the country or the world, and way more interested in destroying Starmer than destroying the Tories.
    He has had 6 weeks to put Labour's position and has failed to do so hence why Sky News are now saying Labour are tied up in knots over ceasfire vote.
  • Options
    Maybe this Post Office bollocks is actually good for Kevin the Minion. Fuck knows the tory members won't grasp the details and just see her standing up to the omnipotent and omnipresent "blob". It's probably a better platform for launching a bid to be LotO than just disappearing like The Pritster and Swella.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Until Tate & Lyle decided on a change, I doubt more than three people knew the significance of the logo or had even spotted that the lion was dead. I am not among the three.
    Well I knew and have known as long as I can remember.

Whether learnt at school, from parents or via Victor Mature on Sunday afternoons I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTnFIg727c
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Who gives a shit?
    Because @TOPPING said this output by ChatGPT was nothing like Joyce, he said "it's the difference between a Malevich and a puppy running through paint"

i have just proved I am right, you can't tell the difference between this and Joyce

The fact you are simply too fucking dumb to even remotely grasp what I am on about is not, especially, my problem
    "oystrygods gaggin fishygods! Brekkek brekkek!" is by Joyce I'd say.

"Ghostline the flux and tricks from the first telling til now" by ChatGPT.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Cookie said:

I posted on my prior ignorance of this earlier and at least three people posted the explanation. So, once again, PB is shown to contain all the learned people in the country :smile:

For syrup, which we only use in baking and mostly for flapjack, I must admit we moved to a generic version some years ago. There are no 'secret ingredients' so the branded version just gets you a nice tin, I guess.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,355
    Dura_Ace said:

The US will be equally embarrassed by this - it's their missile system. And the situation with Russia is tense.

One would hope HMG and the MoD dig into their pockets again for this given how important it is.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I fear that Fujitsu provide the actual firing software and are able to remotely remove (or add!) propellant from the Trident missiles.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Cookie said:

I posted on my prior ignorance of this earlier and at least three people posted the explanation. So, once again, PB is shown to contain all the learned people in the country :smile:

For syrup, which we only use in baking and mostly for flapjack, I must admit we moved to a generic version some years ago. There are no 'secret ingredients' so the branded version just gets you a nice tin, I guess.
    Exactly. Remove the "nice tin" (or at least the nice squeezy bottle) and you might as well just buy supermarket own label.

The secret to a successful cash cow brand is to remain in consumer consciousness without making too much noise and encouraging imitators, and keep pricing higher than but close enough to generic product that there's no financial incentive to switch. so you're left alone in your own quasi-monopolistic corner of the supermarket shelves.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Why ?
    It's not a new brand in need of publicity, and I'm pretty sure this wasn't intended to be an insurgent campaign. To be fair I'm sure the marketers had a strategy here but I expect it was simply to "modernise" with a logo that didn't cause imaginary offence.

The danger for a brand like this is that people buy it partly out of a sense of tradition and habit, because it's something they always bought, they grew up with, their grandparents had in the cupboard. If you erode that then suddenly the alternative brands or own label options look more similar and appealing. Take Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Most Brits buy it in preference to say the Heinz version, not because of some taste difference but because we've no habit of doing so. If Lea and Perrins rebrands to something more "modern" looking it just becomes one of a number of brands that produce Worcestershire sauce.
    I think this is a good point. I wouldn't even be able with any certainty to tell you which brand of golden syrup I use - I get through it so slowly that it's rarely in my consciousness. But when I do buy it, I buy the one that Looks Like That. It's a very recognisable brand, even if you don't really pick up what's going on in the picture (as I didn't until it was mentioned on QI a few years ago).
    So next time I buy it I'm going to be slightly confused and may come away witha different brand by accident.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,355
    Dura_Ace said:

Maybe this Post Office bollocks is actually good for Kevin the Minion. Fuck knows the tory members won't grasp the details and just see her standing up to the omnipotent and omnipresent "blob". It's probably a better platform for launching a bid to be LotO than just disappearing like The Pritster and Swella.

Badenoch hates identity politics, and puts up effective arguments against it with confidence, whereas Mordaunt revels in it and when she does open her mouth nothing of any substance comes out; only two things she said were It Ain't Half Hot Mum was a bit gammon and the HoL should be abolished - and I doubt either of those ideas were hers.

That explains the betting.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,979

HYUFD said:

You have to ask that after seeing the shedload of lying toerags they have pushed up the greasy pole.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,020

Dura_Ace said:

Badenoch hates identity politics, and puts up effective arguments against it with confidence, whereas Mordaunt revels in it and when she does open her mouth nothing of any substance comes out; only two things she said were It Ain't Half Hot Mum was a bit gammon and the HoL should be abolished - and I doubt either of those ideas were hers.

That explains the betting.
    Do you think Badenoch would be a poor, competent, or good PM, given her track record in government?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,930
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I fear that Fujitsu provide the actual firing software and are able to remotely remove (or add!) propellant from the Trident missiles.
    I look forward to the forthcoming ItV drama with Toby Jones playing Schapps looking crestfallen as the trident plops down next to the boat with the resultant wave knocking his toupee askew and Rory Kinear playing a laughing Ben Wallace revelling in the hospital pass he gave whilst sitting in a boardroom of an arms manufacturer.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,979
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Why ?

I think this is a good point. I wouldn't even be able with any certainty to tell you which brand of golden syrup I use - I get through it so slowly that it's rarely in my consciousness. But when I do buy it, I buy the one that Looks Like That. It's a very recognisable brand, even if you don't really pick up what's going on in the picture (as I didn't until it was mentioned on QI a few years ago).
    So next time I buy it I'm going to be slightly confused and may come away witha different brand by accident.
    Wokeness and hating our heritage is still looming large. These clowns deserve to take a hit for it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Why ?

The branding isn't changing that much. I don't think people will be particularly confused.

I get through a lot of golden syrup, but that's because my favourite sandwich is Bovril and golden syrup. (Don't knock it until you've tried it.) But Sainsbury's own brand does for me.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Can they remotely detonate them, though ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

Why ?

Wokeness and hating our heritage is still looming large. These clowns deserve to take a hit for it.
    Creating culture war nonsense out of nothing is still looming large. We used to respect that companies can choose to do what they want as part of a competitive market.
This discussion has been closed.