Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

An update on the Trump crime family – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,682

Leon said:

ON topic, I have just had a FANTASTIC curry

The food in Phnom Penh is some of the best in the world. How can it be? It is so poor. But it is so

I think it is better than Thailand and possibly better than Vietnam. A collision of China, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and an obsession with flavours and a passion for seafood but also a young, food-driven populace

Take one tiny example, my local bar does great gin-and-tonics with Hendricks or Tanqueray 10 with loads of ice and long thin slices of cucumber. Perfect

But they also serve them with these tiny saucers of slender flash fried sliced banana dipped in a piquant chili and nut powder. ie a perfect bar snack - satly but more-ish and quite healthy. Made there and then

Cambodia: the next foodie destination. You read it here first

My wife went to Cambodia about five or six years ago for work and raved about the food.
    I am honestly stunned by it. I did a foodie tour of Vietnam in 2019 but this is almost certainly better

Also: I am not really trying. I've been to a couple of "posh" restaurants (and one was mind blowingly good: Sombok) but in general I am just ordering takeaway from the places around me -a newish posh-ish trendy district of PP, something like Shoreditch or Borough. But this is not expat land. I'd say 30% of the locals are white expats, the rest are young middle class Cambodians (which is great, it is definitely not a ghetto)

The grub is all good and much of it is wow, and this is in a country with a GDP per capita like a poor African nation. What's more, I have had similaely superb food across the country, it is not just the capital

The kicker: Cambodia has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world, about 3%
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,995
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The food in Phnom penh is some of the best in the world. How can it be? It is so poor. But it is so

I think it is better than Thailand and possibly better than Vietnam. A collision of China, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Malyasia, and an obsession with flavours and a passion for seafood but also a young, food-obsessed populace

Take one tiny example, my local bar does great gin and tonics with Hendricks or Tanqueray 10 with loads of ice and long thin slices of cucumber. Perfect

But they also serve them with these tiny saucers of slender flash fried sliced banana dipped in a piqaunt chili and nut powder. ie a perfect bar snack - satly but more-ish and quite healthy. Made there and then

What proportion of the food has chilli in it ?
    (I can't eat it.)
    Nothing like Thailand (eg they don't have prik nam pla, that ubiquitous Thai condiment of chili and fish sauce). They have prahok, which is fermented fish sauce, pungent but delish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prahok

They do eat chilis and they like them, but not on the same scale as Thailand. It is all much more.... subtle

I think it is the Chinese influence. The Khmer are basically Chinese people who moved south
    The fish sounds like the garum which was ubiquitous in ancient Roman cuisine. Wouldn't be a problem for me. I love any and all fish.

It's rather that even small amounts of chilli render food inedible for me. The allergy won't kill me, but means a rash and severe indigestion... so I prefer to avoid it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,682
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The food in Phnom penh is some of the best in the world. How can it be? It is so poor. But it is so

I think it is better than Thailand and possibly better than Vietnam. A collision of China, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Malyasia, and an obsession with flavours and a passion for seafood but also a young, food-obsessed populace

Take one tiny example, my local bar does great gin and tonics with Hendricks or Tanqueray 10 with loads of ice and long thin slices of cucumber. Perfect

But they also serve them with these tiny saucers of slender flash fried sliced banana dipped in a piqaunt chili and nut powder. ie a perfect bar snack - satly but more-ish and quite healthy. Made there and then

(I can't eat it.)
    Nothing like Thailand (eg they don't have prik nam pla, that ubiquitous Thai condiment of chili and fish sauce). They have prahok, which is fermented fish sauce, pungent but delish

They do eat chilis and they like them, but not on the same scale as Thailand. It is all much more.... subtle

I think it is the Chinese influence. The Khmer are basically Chinese people who moved south
    The fish sounds like the garum which was ubiquitous in ancient Roman cuisine. Wouldn't be a problem for me. I love any and all fish.

It's rather that even small amounts of chilli render food inedible for me. The allergy won't kill me, but means a rash and severe indigestion... so I prefer to avoid it.
    It is easy to avoid. I'd say 70% of Khmer food involves no chili at all

They generally get their heat from black Kampot pepper, the local pepper, and the best pepper in the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampot_pepper
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,109
    Nigelb said:
    whispers "You know He's a supervillain, right?"
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,105
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Janen Ganesh has written a playful article about the problems of PB, sorry, Soho house

‘A friend of mine first entertained doubts that Soho House was cool when he saw four alumni of his school there. “Accountant, accountant, solicitor, accountant

https://www.ft.com/content/348b9e16-344f-4699-8419-f7e82a5ef17b

Basically, they are letting anyone in - accountants and lawyers etc. But the plonkers are still angry. He sees this as a societal issue

It's funny that the fact that four of his school alumni were there didn't raise any alarm bells,and isn't the subject of the piece. The only place I'd expect to run into four people from my school would be Tescos in St Andrews. It's extraordinary to think there are people (other than those who live in a small town they grew up in) for whom it is utterly normal to live in a professional world already densely populated with people they know.
    I presume we are talking a fairly posh London public school, here
    It’s several years since I’ve met anyone who was at my old school at the same time as I was. Although I don’t get out a lot nowadays.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,812

Carnyx said:

It's difficult to blame Irish negativity towards the United Kingdom, given the multiplicity of kickings that England has given Ireland over the past several hundred years

So all those European countries that have reconciled themselves with Germany have got it wrong. Much better to pick at scabs hundreds of year old and top up the bile.
    To some degree I agree, but 'Germany' hasn't been the Germany we know for more than 150 years. Before then what we now know as Germans were quite capable of fighting each other.
    Nor in the last 100 years has England been the England of old. The Irish just need to grow up and stop living in the past.
    The way Tory MPs were talking about Ireland in recent years demonstrates otherwise. In fact, not just talking about Ireland come to think of it.
    Mostly because Varadkar decided to use Brexit as his political CV for a job in Brussels. Anglo Irish relations were improving prior to that but Varadkar decide to drag us all back to the 1900s.
    Well Brexit didn't exactly help did it? Leaving the EU without giving any thought to the Irish border, apart from "Well maybe Ireland could leave too?" was pretty shitty.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,092
    edited February 17
    Leon said:

Janen Ganesh has written a playful article about the problems of PB, sorry, Soho house

‘A friend of mine first entertained doubts that Soho House was cool when he saw four alumni of his school there. “Accountant, accountant, solicitor, accountant

Basically, they are letting anyone in - accountants and lawyers etc. But the plonkers are still angry. He sees this as a societal issue

He's one of the few journalists around today whose columns I get excited about reading in advance. He's usually that good.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,995
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

(I can't eat it.)

It is easy to avoid. I'd say 70% of Khmer food involves no chili at all

They generally get their heat from black Kampot pepper, the local pepper, and the best pepper in the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampot_pepper
    Thanks.
    Some cuisines (Mexican for example) are almost completely off the menu for me.
    Cambodian sounds fine.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,812
    This thread has been mugged by Irelands defence budget
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,417
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

He's one of the few journalists around today whose columns I get excited about reading in advance. He's usually that good.
    Him and Goodwin?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,538
    Some numbers on US charity:
    " Per capita, ­Americans voluntarily donate about seven times as much as continental ­Europeans. Even our cousins the Canadians give to charity at substantially lower rates, and at half the total volume of an American household.

There are many reasons for this American distinction. Foremost is the fact that ours is the most religious nation in the industrial world. Religion motivates giving more than any other factor."
    source: https://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/almanac/who-gives-most-to-charity/#:~:text=Per capita, Americans voluntarily donate,reasons for this American distinction.

There are many more numbers in that longish article.

(In recent years, I have observed a possibly signficant local exception to that pattern: There is a Google operation within a couple of blocks of me, and, if they give anything to charity locally, they have kept that fact well hidden. For example, when the COVID vaccines became available, Microsoft here opened up their facilities for mass vaccinations, and provided volunteers to direct the operations. (They were so nice the first time I went there that I brought them some teas and cookies on my second vist.)

In contrast, Google did nothing for us locally. And that in spite of being pampered by local governments.)
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009

It's difficult to blame Irish negativity towards the United Kingdom, given the multiplicity of kickings that England has given Ireland over the past several hundred years

So all those European countries that have reconciled themselves with Germany have got it wrong. Much better to pick at scabs hundreds of year old and top up the bile.
    To some degree I agree, but 'Germany' hasn't been the Germany we know for more than 150 years. Before then what we now know as Germans were quite capable of fighting each other.
    Nor in the last 100 years has England been the England of old. The Irish just need to grow up and stop living in the past.
    I don't think they do. In over fifty years of visiting and living in Ireland I have never heard any Irish person complain to me about English history in Ireland. Maybe they are too polite.
  • Options

" Per capita, ­Americans voluntarily donate about seven times as much as continental ­Europeans. Even our cousins the Canadians give to charity at substantially lower rates, and at half the total volume of an American household.

There are many reasons for this American distinction. Foremost is the fact that ours is the most religious nation in the industrial world. Religion motivates giving more than any other factor."
    source: https://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/almanac/who-gives-most-to-charity/#:~:text=Per capita, Americans voluntarily donate,reasons for this American distinction.

(In recent years, I have observed a possibly signficant local exception to that pattern: There is a Google operation within a couple of blocks of me, and, if they give anything to charity locally, they have kept that fact well hidden. For example, when the COVID vaccines became available, Microsoft here opened up their facilities for mass vaccinations, and provided volunteers to direct the operations. (They were so nice the first time I went there that I brought them some teas and cookies on my second vist.)

In contrast, Google did nothing for us locally. And that in spite of being pampered by local governments.)

A generational thing, perhaps?

Religious practice is falling off a cliff in America alongside in the rest of the West, with a big flip between (say) the Microsoft generation and the Google (or TwiX) generation.

And whilst I can get people's disbelief in the Sky Fairy, we haven't found an alternative mechanism to force people close enough together to see each other as actual people sharing a common life.

And that removes some important guardrails from society, with some of the consequences we're seeing around us.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    People are unfailingly polite to me wherever I go, but the one nasty incident I experienced was on a trip to Dublin in 2001.

An older drunk (as he seemed to me then - who knows how old he actually was) learned I was from NZ and started effing and blinding at me for “keeping the Queen”.

Dublin seemed like a very dreary, run-down place. I have not been back.
  • Options
    I generally agree with Leon that Ireland is an absolute freeloader on the Western system.

They’re not alone - so are many British overseas dependencies.
  • Options

A generational thing, perhaps?

Religious practice is falling off a cliff in America alongside in the rest of the West, with a big flip between (say) the Microsoft generation and the Google (or TwiX) generation.

And whilst I can get people's disbelief in the Sky Fairy, we haven't found an alternative mechanism to force people close enough together to see each other as actual people sharing a common life.

And that removes some important guardrails from society, with some of the consequences we're seeing around us.
    Gen Z don’t even seem to have the received memory of religious practice, which is a loss.

Having said that, I’d be totally unsurprised if religiosity started to increase notably. Social media, AI, and deepfakes will surely make us re-consider the difference between body, mind, and soul?
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,945

What portion of US charitable donations is people giving up their hard earned wages to their megachurch grifter pastors? I’ve never really got over the guy who put out TV ads claiming that God had told him he needed another private jet...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629

Nigelb said:

The GB news take.
    Nobody knows what happened to #Navalny. He could have had a heart attack for all we know. 🤷🏻‍♀️

So do you find it bizarre that every political leader came out immediately to accuse #Putin of murder? (those bloody conspiracy theorists...)

https://twitter.com/beverleyturner/status/1758586644557336970

Question - if Putin has nothing to hide why isn't Navalny's body being released to his family?
    I'd agree, it seems very fishy and it should concern all Russians that the days of Stalin seem to be making a comeback.

With that said, there is something to Beverley Turners *sort of* point, that the most convoluted and Machiavellian plots by Putin (or anyone else on the current shitlist) are happily touted as virtual confirmed fact by the same commentors who loudly and insistently mock 'loony conspiracy theories' when they pertain to the USA or the West. Are the Americans too nice to do conspiracies?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,826
    edited February 17
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,109
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

They just need to get over on it

I’ve been watching in a mixture of dismay, disbelief and mild amusement on debate on another website

Some Irish bloke is getting very exercised that the term the “British Isles” is a neo-imperialist attempt by the UK to repress Irish identity and that we all live on the “Irish Isles”.

If it was on here I’d assume it was a joke/sock puppet…
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,092
    edited February 17

But there's a reason for that. Continental Europeans pay very high taxes, so that's an alternative way of giving money to good causes. Taxes are pretty low in the USA so maybe people donate more to charity to make up for that fact.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Leon said:

It's funny that the fact that four of his school alumni were there didn't raise any alarm bells,and isn't the subject of the piece. The only place I'd expect to run into four people from my school would be Tescos in St Andrews. It's extraordinary to think there are people (other than those who live in a small town they grew up in) for whom it is utterly normal to live in a professional world already densely populated with people they know.
    The last time I ran into a school friend was in a bordello in Tashkent
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,826

They just need to get over on it

I’ve been watching in a mixture of dismay, disbelief and mild amusement on debate on another website

Some Irish bloke is getting very exercised that the term the “British Isles” is a neo-imperialist attempt by the UK to repress Irish identity and that we all live on the “Irish Isles”.

If it was on here I’d assume it was a joke/sock puppet…
    Sounds like an SNP type; they have apoplexies over "British Isles".
This discussion has been closed.