Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

An MPs behaviour – now the main trigger for Westminster by-elections – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 8 in General
imageAn MPs behaviour – now the main trigger for Westminster by-elections – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    It is an odd world in which repeatedly inflicting policy calamities on this country is spun away and quickly forgotten, while somtimes trivial personal foibles end careers.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,419
    edited January 3
    At the party level, it makes no difference today but in a more finely balanced Parliament, this could end a government's majority. Cynics might wonder if spurious allegations could be made in order to trigger an early general election in those circumstances. Can the Honourable Member for Dunny-on-the-Wold prove she did not ogle that buff researcher 18 months ago, or that the money was only resting in her account?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,419
    Boris Johnson is the only MP to have resigned in both periods: first on being elected Mayor of London; more recently over Partygate fibs. His botched honours list led to two more departures.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 129
    Fishing said:

It is an odd world in which repeatedly inflicting policy calamities on this country is spun away and quickly forgotten, while somtimes trivial personal foibles end careers.

But it's the personal foibles on top of the policy calamities, like the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    This is where a precipitous drop in the birth rate is first really felt.

Number of new elementary school students set to hit record low
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=366226
    ..In Seoul, the number of children entering elementary school this year will be 59,492, down 10.3 percent from a year earlier. The number has been declining sharply from 78,118 in 2019 and 66,324 in 2023.

The number of new elementary schoolers is anticipated to show a faster drop in coming years because the number of newborns is plummeting quickly.

The number of children who were born in 2019 was 302,676, down from 357,771 in 2017 and 326,822 in 2018.

Given that the number of new elementary schoolers is anticipated to stand at 90 percent of the total number of eligible children, the number of those who enter elementary school in 2026 will likely stand below 300,000, just two years after the number plunged below the 400,000 mark in 2024.

Against that backdrop, the government has set the low birthrate as one of the main policy priorities that it will concentrate on this year.

"We need a completely different approach as we look for the causes and find solutions to the problem," President Yoon Suk Yeol said during his New Year speech. "We must find out the real reasons for the low birthrate and identify effective measures.".

A socially conservative government is highly unlikely to find rapid or effective solutions to the problem, I think - and the time to take it seriously would have been a decade ago.

We should be watching this closely, as if we do decide massively to limit immigration, it's not inconceivable we'll face something similar in time.

A very slowly declining birth rate is probably not a serious matter. A fast decline promises unavoidable and continuing economic shocks.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Harvard University President Dr Claudine Gay has finally been forced to resign, after only six months in the role.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2024/1/3/claudine-gay-resign-harvard/

She was the one who told Congress that it was perfectly fine to call for the genocide of Jews on campus, leading to a donor boycott of the university - then it turned out that much of her own academic work was dubious at best, and plagiarised at worst.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    Fishing said:

Not sure that these were trivial foibles. Sexually exposing oneself at office staff for example would get suspension or fired in most jobs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Way off-topic:

Someone has done a passenger flow map for every railway station in the UK. The results are quite fascinating - at least for this train nerd.

https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/station.md
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

I've been in a slight post-Christmas lull mood-wise; I've not been feeling very low (I rarely if ever do), just a general apathy and unhappiness.

I've just come back from my first pre-dawn run for many months, during which I saw a fox, a deer, a bat and an owl (not at the same time). These were all in suburban areas of the town.

And suddenly, for the first time in a couple of weeks, I feel very happy.

Fabulous JJ.

There’s a lot of support for Nature improving our mood and we don’t have to head into the remotest wilds to find it, as you have encountered this morning.
  • Options
    Following on from yesterday's discussion on here, I've tried to find figures for the amount of missiles Russia has fired into Ukraine over time. There are various broad-brush summaries, but no real spreadsheet-like figures. Which is odd, because I'd expect someone to be noting it.

The nearest I could find is the bottom line of the following image. But the source sets my nose twitching a little.
    https://twitter.com/HerrDr8/status/1742361506275033329/photo/2

Does anyone know if definitive figures are publicly available?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I've been in a slight post-Christmas lull mood-wise; I've not been feeling very low (I rarely if ever do), just a general apathy and unhappiness.

I've just come back from my first pre-dawn run for many months, during which I saw a fox, a deer, a bat and an owl (not at the same time). These were all in suburban areas of the town.

Fabulous JJ.

There’s a lot of support for Nature improving our mood and we don’t have to head into the remotest wilds to find it, as you have encountered this morning.
    Also: exercise can improve mood as well. At least, it can for me.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    On topic, to quote the great Liz Truss, this is a disgrace.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

Heathener said:

Fabulous JJ.

Also: exercise can improve mood as well. At least, it can for me.
    Definitely. And lots of solid science to back that too.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited January 3
    A couple of days ago I said my fondest wish for this year is that we finally get serious about kicking Russia out of Ukraine.

Here are some more hopes, no doubt mostly unrealistic, especially in an election year, but anyway:

- we should finally get serious about prioritising economic growth for the first time in decades. Our politicians have been lazy and complacent about it for too long. Ever since Cameron talked about sharing the proceeds of growth, thereby ensuring there would be none, we haven't had a decent growth agenda in this country. Politicians have prioritised short term vote winning over long-term expansion. But the economy can't forever absorb whatever damage they inflict on it, and it won't keep powering on regardless.
    - related, we need to expand our stock of decent homes. I know I always bang this drum, but removing restrictions to self-build, which is far lower here than in Continental Europe, is the obvious first step. It is not only desirable in itself, but it would also stimulate economic growth. Axing more of the obvious absurdities in the planning system, like thousand page bat studies, would also help. And a full attack on the architectural profession, to make them design houses that people actually want to look at, couldn't do any harm either.
    - we need to rebuild many public services, starting, imho, with the Army, which is in such a shocking state that the Americans don't think it's battle-ready, and would need perhaps a decade to make it so. Again, a long-term project, with no votes in it, but it is a good time to do it, with lessons from the Ukraine war ready to be incorporated in our defence. I'm not sure the answer is increasing expenditure - it could just be getting more value for what we do spend, through better procurement, but I'm willing to be argued out of that view.
    - the criminal justice system is likewise stretched to breaking point. Personally, I incline to the view of a former home secretary, that prison is an expensive way of making bad people worse, so I am sympathetic to ending, or at least greatly reducing, prison sentences for low level crimes. But again, I'm willing to be dissuaded. And the courts and the police likely do need more resources.

I could list more, but if we can make meaningful progress on those this year, 2024 won't be yet another wasted twelve months.

And if pigs could fly ...
  • Options
    Can anybody explain why PB and the country seem obsessed with a pub game at this time of the year?

Why not shove ha'penny or Scottish football if we're obsessing about pub games/pub leagues?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Our experiences judge our mood. I have been in East Surrey hospital keeping an eye on a 94 yr old father in law who was on a trolley (along with about 40.others in corridors) from 10 am.Monday till 5pm yesterday when he had an endoscopy. At least he is now in a bed being properly cared for. God alone knows what it will be like going forward with junior doctors on strike. Here at least the law must be changed to stop health staff from striking and a national.formula for pay agreed. I was almost in tears for some of the mainly elderly there. There also needs to be an agreement for numbers of doctors and nurses in proportion to.population. it cannot go on like this.
  • Options

Can anybody explain why PB and the country seem obsessed with a pub game at this time of the year?

Why not shove ha'penny or Scottish football if we're obsessing about pub games/pub leagues?

I can't.

Though some of the hyperbolic reporting is undeniably entertaining.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/02/teenager-luke-littler-crushes-rob-cross-to-storm-to-world-darts-final
    ... But at half past nine on the second evening of 2024, the future spectacularly and violently mutated into the present..

...throwing with the menace and relish of a kid who just knows, down to his very bones, that his darts can cash every cheque his hubris writes.

...If you want to measure the strength of a storm, you check the historical record, you survey the destruction and levelled buildings it leaves in its wake. You don’t thrust a microphone into the breeze and ask it to explain itself.

... But this is Littler’s world now, and somehow everyone else in it – past, present and future – feels ornamental...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Can anyone explain why half the country is still obsessed with a vote 8 years ago ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Our experiences judge our mood. I have been in East Surrey hospital keeping an eye on a 94 yr old father in law who was on a trolley (along with about 40.others in corridors) from 10 am.Monday till 5pm yesterday when he had an endoscopy. At least he is now in a bed being properly cared for. God alone knows what it will be like going forward with junior doctors on strike. Here at least the law must be changed to stop health staff from striking and a national.formula for pay agreed. I was almost in tears for some of the mainly elderly there. There also needs to be an agreement for numbers of doctors and nurses in proportion to.population. it cannot go on like this.

Direct your ire at number 10 where it belongs. This is a direct result of 13 years of Conservative government. If you want change you know what to do.
  • Options

Can anyone explain why half the country is still obsessed with a vote 8 years ago ?
    Because most of the country thinks it has turned out shit?

They want to flush that great Brexit turd.
  • Options

Bullseye.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I can't.

Though some of the hyperbolic reporting is undeniably entertaining.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/02/teenager-luke-littler-crushes-rob-cross-to-storm-to-world-darts-final
    ... But at half past nine on the second evening of 2024, the future spectacularly and violently mutated into the present..

...throwing with the menace and relish of a kid who just knows, down to his very bones, that his darts can cash every cheque his hubris writes.

...If you want to measure the strength of a storm, you check the historical record, you survey the destruction and levelled buildings it leaves in its wake. You don’t thrust a microphone into the breeze and ask it to explain itself.

... But this is Littler’s world now, and somehow everyone else in it – past, present and future – feels ornamental...
    They are no Sid Waddell, this is the line you'd expect from a Cambridge historian.

When Alexander III of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer, Eric Bristow's only 27.
  • Options

Because they didn't get what they voted for.
    Actually that's over two thirds of the country.
  • Options

You see youre obsessed.

Why not just chill out and come to terms with it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Direct your ire at number 10 where it belongs. This is a direct result of 13 years of Conservative government. If you want change you know what to do.
    What ?

SKS is no different than Sunak.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 904
    Heathener said:

I’m separating this part of my response as it’s less likely to draw support.

I have found my mood immeasurably better from switching off the News. Entirely for 2 months. I disengaged from all social media, including this site, didn’t read any newspapers or feeds, and tried to engage with Nature. I’ve no idea what happened in the previous 2 months in the outside world. I realised that I can’t change it so what’s the point in stressing about it? And it’s wonderful not to be involved in any disagreements, or even arguments, with people I’ve never met and don’t really know.

I’m heading abroad soon for a lengthy period, including some time connecting with Nature and fairly remote, and I don’t intend following so-called “News” there either.

Flanders and Swann's Ostrich Song came to mind:

Boo-ka-Pee, they can't see me
    As long as I've got me head in the sand
    Peek-a-Boo, it may be true
    There's something in what you've said
    But we've got enough troubles in everyday life
    I just bury me....

(BOOM)

From a sheltered oasis a mile away
    I observed that dreadful scene
    And a single plume came floating down
    Where my Ostrich friend had been
    Because he could not bear the sound
    Of these words I had left unsaid;
    'Here in this nuclear testing ground
    Is no place to bury your head!'
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This was probably 2023's most astonishing poll findings give how immigration played a part in 2016.

A majority of Britons would support joining the single market, even if this meant free movement of people

All Britons

Support: 57%

Oppose: 22%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1729828017373843530

Those Brexit = Prohibition analogies prove truer with each passing day.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

You see youre obsessed.

Because Britain deserves better.
  • Options

You see youre obsessed.

I am fine with it, Brexit has benefitted me personally, see my post at 7.47 which shows where the country is.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Bullseye.
    Yes, we need to do a one hundred and eighty.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Nigelb said:

This was probably 2023's most astonishing poll findings give how immigration played a part in 2016.

A majority of Britons would support joining the single market, even if this meant free movement of people

All Britons

Good morning all!
    Have I missed something? I’ve never seen such an analogy! Although on reflection……
  • Options

Jonathan said:

What ?

Not that old cchq bunker spin again. Last refuge.

No they are not the same. Did you see the waiting list chart over successive Labour and Tory governments? A very stark difference. If you care about NHS waiting lists you know what to do.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Jonathan said:

It goes back longer than tgst with the disastrous agreement by Gordon McDoom to allow GPs to give up nights and weekends. A and E has been a jam ever since. Its NOT always the Tories though they have a lot to answer for.
    There should be a deal with Doctors that they pay no tuition fees but can't go abroad for x yrs after qualifying.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

We haven't forgotten Brexit, don't worry.
  • Options

You see youre obsessed.

I am fine with it, Brexit has benefitted me personally, see my post at 7.47 which shows where the country is.
    LOL, I have many friends in your position, they all claim they are doing well out of Brexit even though they voted Remain. But theyre still having a sulk because they called it wrong.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What ?

No they are not the same. Did you see the waiting list chart over successive Labour and Tory governments? A very stark difference. If you care about NHS waiting lists you know what to do.
    Well J lets hope youre right, but I honestly cant see it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Jonathan said:

What ?

Which might work if Sunak was highly regarded. But Rishi been tested (by being leader for over a year) and demonstrated that he isn't any good.

So even if SKS is no different than Sunak you may as well go for SKS because Rishi has undoubtly upset most people for 1 reason or another...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    edited January 3

Way off-topic:

Someone has done a passenger flow map for every railway station in the UK. The results are quite fascinating - at least for this train nerd.

It’s not every station. They’ve forgotten the Chase line at least.
  • Options

The reason for the strikes is that the pay review board system is broken. I voted to accept the Consultants deal in part because it includes a commitment to reform the pay board.

No one is happy that the strikes are resuming, but there are no negotiations at the moment to stop them.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653

At the party level, it makes no difference today but in a more finely balanced Parliament, this could end a government's majority. Cynics might wonder if spurious allegations could be made in order to trigger an early general election in those circumstances. Can the Honourable Member for Dunny-on-the-Wold prove she did not ogle that buff researcher 18 months ago, or that the money was only resting in her account?

Is there any suggestion that spurious allegations would lead to a by-election? Is the system not robust enough to prevent that from happening?

Or, put another way, do you think any of the cases that we have had are spurious?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What ?

Alanbrooke appears to be in denial on all fronts this morning.

As for Starmer, I'm reasonably sure he'll find ways to mess up entirely different from the current shower. But I will reserve judgment until he's actually been running the government.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Following on from yesterday's discussion on here, I've tried to find figures for the amount of missiles Russia has fired into Ukraine over time. There are various broad-brush summaries, but no real spreadsheet-like figures. Which is odd, because I'd expect someone to be noting it.

The nearest I could find is the bottom line of the following image. But the source sets my nose twitching a little.
    https://twitter.com/HerrDr8/status/1742361506275033329/photo/2

Does anyone know if definitive figures are publicly available?

Certainly a shitload for sure and as ever the yanks are backpedalling only interested in themselves.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

Leicester and Melton Mowbray are missing too, though the map of Market Harborough is quite beautiful.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    Fishing said:

Which cases do you consider to have been “trivial personal foibles”?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

Which ones? I can find the Rugeleys, Bloxwich and Cannock?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

Leicester and Melton Mowbray are missing too, though the map of Market Harborough is quite beautiful.
    ???

https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/image/L/LEI-rail.png
    https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/image/M/MMO-rail.png
  • Options

Nigelb said:

All Britons

ROFL not astonishing at all.

Weve had 8 years to forget the downsides of the EU - no budget bust ups like at present, or additional legislation we dont need, no Macron trying to boss everyone about. Put the reality back in the mix and watch those numbers change.

Thisis like people remembering how the war brought us all together but forgetting the nightly bombings, rationing and deaths.

• Options

You see youre obsessed.

Methinks you doth protest too much.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

All Britons

Good morning all!
    Have I missed something? I’ve never seen such an analogy! Although on reflection……
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2023/06/13/reversing-brexit-lessons-from-history/
  • Options
    edited January 3

You see youre obsessed.

LOL, I have many friends in your position, they all claim they are doing well out of Brexit even though they voted Remain. But theyre still having a sulk because they called it wrong.
    That's one of the great paradoxes of Brexit. The dynamic metropolises of Remania have economically adjusted, the backwaters of Leaverstan further degrade.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What ?

As for Starmer, I'm reasonably sure he'll find ways to mess up entirely different from the current shower. But I will reserve judgment until he's actually been running the government.
    Great Nige can we go on to why Joe Biden shouldnt be POTUS ?
  • Options

They have buyer's remorse Alan, they realise now how thick they are. Taken in by a bunch of grifters.
  • Options
    edited January 3

ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

I couldn’t find Cannock or Hednesford. I thought I must be overlooking Cannock until I realised Hednesford was missing too.

Edit - I can find Landywood and Bloxwich North, so it’s not all of them.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I’m separating this part of my response as it’s less likely to draw support.

I have found my mood immeasurably better from switching off the News. Entirely for 2 months. I disengaged from all social media, including this site, didn’t read any newspapers or feeds, and tried to engage with Nature. I’ve no idea what happened in the previous 2 months in the outside world. I realised that I can’t change it so what’s the point in stressing about it? And it’s wonderful not to be involved in any disagreements, or even arguments, with people I’ve never met and don’t really know.

I’m heading abroad soon for a lengthy period, including some time connecting with Nature and fairly remote, and I don’t intend following so-called “News” there either.

Don't forget to pack your thermos.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

Friend of mine (!), phlebotomist, said that on many levels everything runs so much more smoothly when the junior doctors are on strike as the senior ones just do stuff instead of referring it up the chain for each and every decision.

Very sorry to hear about your father in law, obvs, and I don't disagree with some kind of "protected employment" category where strikes would be subject to some kind of administrative restraint. Not exactly free market but a government needs to be able to ensure the well-being of its citizens given the current NHS structure.

Of course the NHS needs root and branch reform, as some may know is my view, and interestingly, watching Mr Bates vs The Post Office, there is a lot of talk of a "National Institution" being fallible. I suppose we have had (comparable? worse?) scandal after scandal in the NHS and still people venerate it but I suppose one can hope its day will come at some point.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

I couldn’t find Cannock or Hednesford. I thought I must be overlooking Cannock until I realised Hednesford was missing too.
    They're all on there:
    https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/image/C/CAO-rail.png
    https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/image/H/HNF-rail.png

Hmmm. I wonder if the issue is the Github interface: the one you and @Foxy are reporting missing are all in the right-hand of the two columns. What device are you viewing it on?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What ?

It’s pretty clear that this government has now failed. Fortunately we live in a democracy and have a viable alternative. We need fresh ideas and new minds on the problem Something to feel good about and not take for granted these days.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

You see youre obsessed.

That's one of the great paradoxes of Brexit. The dynamic metropolises of Remania have economically adjusted, the backwaters of Leaverstan further degrade.
    Real wages are actually growing and we have nearly full employment. The doom laden scenarios are nowhere to be seen. Manufacturing has even improved its position by overtaking France. Most of the UKs weaknesses are self inflicted and could have been sorted out in the EU, but none of the UK parties wanted to tackle them.
  • Options
    19 years ago today, the Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, said it would be absolutely fine for Ukraine to join NATO
    https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1742270519972421750

#Putin said similar in 2002: “I am absolutely convinced that #Ukraine will not shy away from processes of expanding interaction with #NATO and Western allies as a whole. Ukraine has its own relations with NATO... At end of day the decision is to be taken by NATO and Ukraine.”
    https://twitter.com/steven_pifer/status/1742389514352656655

What changed is that the Ukrainian people kicked out his puppets.

• Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

???

They don't appear in the alphabetic list that you linked to.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What ?

It’s pretty clear that this government has now failed. Fortunately we live in a democracy and have a viable alternative. We need fresh ideas and new minds on the problem Something to feel good about and not take for granted these days.
    Starmer doesnt have any fresh ideas. Just the same old ones.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

They're all on there:
    https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/image/C/CAO-rail.png
    https://github.com/anisotropi4/kingfisher/blob/main/image/H/HNF-rail.png

Hmmm. I wonder if the issue is the Github interface: the one you and @Foxy are reporting missing are all in the right-hand of the two columns. What device are you viewing it on?
    It’s an iPhone, so it must be cutting off the right hand column. I’ll try it again on the iPad and that should cure it. Thanks!
  • Options

You see youre obsessed.

So if Lab wins the next election the country should just call it a day and say well that's that done with and settle down to a Lab govt for the next 50 years.

Is that how you are saying democracy should operate.
  • Options
    edited January 3

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What ?

Great Nige can we go on to why Joe Biden shouldnt be POTUS ?
    Feel free to have a crack at it.
    I'll continue shooting you down.

Al.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687

You see youre obsessed.

But Brexit was of greatest benefit to spivs, chancers and tax dodgers... That was why we needed to "Take Back Control", wasn't it? Being in the EU meant we had somebody looking over our shoulder and telling us to clean up our water.....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

19 years ago today, the Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, said it would be absolutely fine for Ukraine to join NATO

#Putin said similar in 2002: “I am absolutely convinced that #Ukraine will not shy away from processes of expanding interaction with #NATO and Western allies as a whole. Ukraine has its own relations with NATO... At end of day the decision is to be taken by NATO and Ukraine.”

The Iraq war probably didn’t help. Russia had significant interests in the region (still does, for that matter) that the US trampled on in the invasion. It did rather annoy Putin.

Other things changed too. In 2002 Russia was allied to NATO over the Afghan invasion and considered an ally in the ‘war on terror.’ That has to put it mildly changed somewhat.

But it’s also possible they said that knowing the Russian puppets would never sign up, so they could make the right noises and not actually have to follow through.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    Fun to see how yesterday's "lets just lie about migration people are stupid" exercise has gone down.

This is the Tories basic problem - they're shit at governing. They can't actually achieve any of their stated goals, so now they're into barefaced lies. Remember how Sunak would wield the Sword of Truth?

I expect this will ramp up as we move through the next months and gear up for the election. Another "aren't things brilliant" line from a Tory, followed by "no" by the public, then "look, culture war issue!!!" from GBeebies et al.

If you are a Tory, what do you do? You can't lie - people no longer swallow them as their lived experience disagrees with the lie. You can't say "Labour have no plan / would be worse" as people just laugh. At you. You can't try and get people excited by easter eggs as even your local paper mocks you. Even Twitter corrects the PM.

If - as clearly is the case - you have given up governing the country, do what @AverageNinja did yesterday - resign.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

So if Lab wins the next election the country should just call it a day and say well that's that done with and settle down to a Lab govt for the next 50 years.

Youre mixing up a referndum with a parliamentary election. I'd say give it a generation same as Indyref.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

There is a right hand column. All there afaict.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What ?

Starmer doesnt have any fresh ideas. Just the same old ones.
    We’ll see. That’s the important thing. Definitely time to try something else 🤞
  • Options
    Fuck me, satire and irony are dead.

The Israeli government thinking an African country might be a dumping ground for forcibly displaced people is just the darkest historical irony

“The Times of Israel’s Hebrew sister-site Zman Yisrael reports that Israeli officials have held clandestine talks with the African nation of Congo and several others for the potential acceptance of Gaza emigrants.”

https://twitter.com/glcarlstrom/status/1742455077489492360
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

That has been the Brexiteer cry since the referendum. Demanding sovereignty. Until the sovereign parliament doesn't do what they want because people didn't vote how they did. Then its How Dare These MPs.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

You see youre obsessed.

But Brexit was of greatest benefit to spivs, chancers and tax dodgers... That was why we needed to "Take Back Control", wasn't it? Being in the EU meant we had somebody looking over our shoulder and telling us to clean up our water.....
    yes we had someone looking over our shoulder for 50 years and still didnt clean up.

but there were huge dividends.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Way off-topic:

???

They don't appear in the alphabetic list that you linked to.
    They do appear - there are two columns. Works on Windows/Chrome and my Samsung phone...
  • Options

The Israeli government thinking an African country might be a dumping ground for forcibly displaced people is just the darkest historical irony

“The Times of Israel’s Hebrew sister-site Zman Yisrael reports that Israeli officials have held clandestine talks with the African nation of Congo and several others for the potential acceptance of Gaza emigrants.”

The irony was Hamas calling the assassination yesterday cowardly. I mean that bloke was on the front line in Gaza you know,
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

That has been the Brexiteer cry since the referendum. Demanding sovereignty. Until the sovereign parliament doesn't do what they want because people didn't vote how they did. Then its How Dare These MPs.
    Are you getting worried you might get elected ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

Youre mixing up a referndum with a parliamentary election. I'd say give it a generation same as Indyref.

The referendum was to leave the EU. Fairly obviously exactly how we leave the EU and how we replace our links with our major trading partners can't be just left alone for a generation to keep a few moaning leavers happy. So of course the debate about how we Brexit evolves and develops.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

You'd say, would you? Good to know. Meanwhile taking back control surely means nothing unless it means giving the people the opportunity to vote in line with their beliefs. A "generation" is just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

You'd say, would you? Good to know. Meanwhile taking back control surely means nothing unless it means giving the people the opportunity to vote in line with their beliefs. A "generation" is just wishful thinking.
    Who's stopping you voting in line with your beliefs ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

The Iraq war probably didn’t help. Russia had significant interests in the region (still does, for that matter) that the US trampled on in the invasion. It did rather annoy Putin.

Other things changed too. In 2002 Russia was allied to NATO over the Afghan invasion and considered an ally in the ‘war on terror.’ That has to put it mildly changed somewhat.

But it’s also possible they said that knowing the Russian puppets would never sign up, so they could make the right noises and not actually have to follow through.
    No, this is what precipitated everything, I think.

Ukraine's EU trade deal will be catastrophic, says Russia
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/22/ukraine-european-union-trade-russia
    ..Petro Poroshenko, Ukraine's former trade minister, gave Sergei Glazyev, adviser to President Vladimir Putin, a public dressing down in a discussion session during which the Kremlin man was faced with jeering and catcalls for demanding that Ukraine abandon the EU pact and turn to Russia. The minister said that it was the Kremlin's heavy-handed tactics and threats of a trade war that had made European integration inevitable.

"For the first time in our history more than 50% of people support European integration, and less than 30% of the people support closer ties with Russia," said Poroshenko. "Thank you very much for that Mr Glazyev."..

.."We don't want to use any kind of blackmail. This is a question for the Ukrainian people," said Glazyev. "But legally, signing this agreement about association with EU, the Ukrainian government violates the treaty on strategic partnership and friendship with Russia." When this happened, he said, Russia could no longer guarantee Ukraine's status as a state and could possibly intervene if pro-Russian regions of the country appealed directly to Moscow...

"I don't want to blackmail you, but..."
  • Options
    edited January 3

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

The biggest pile of bollocks is that MPs campaigning to stop the vote from being enacted was undemocratic.

Which is wrong of course because in 2017 MPs were voted in by their constituents to voice their opinions in parliament and at that point there was no majority for a "clean Brexit" whatever that is. So all the obfuscation was a feature of democracy, not a bug and was ordered by the British people.

Until they got fed up with it of course and decided to get Brexit done after all. Again, by voting in a parliament to do this.

But some people really don't like democracy, we have seen.
  • Options

US rebukes ‘irresponsible’ comments from Israeli ministers
    https://thehill.com/policy/international/4385605-us-rebukes-irresponsible-comments-from-israeli-ministers/

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The Recall of MPs act 2015 has worked well.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

Who's stopping you voting in line with your beliefs ?
    No one. That is my point. In 2017 people voted in line with their beliefs and had there been a second referendum, apart from being impractical and an administrative nightmare, it would have been a perfect example of democracy in action.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

No doubt.
    But as you point out to Topping, we live in a democracy, so we're free to mix up what we like when deciding how to vote.
  • Options

Jesus, even the Lib Dems have jumped on the darts bandwagon.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1742310316484997409/photo/1
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

No, this is what precipitated everything, I think.

Ukraine's EU trade deal will be catastrophic, says Russia
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/22/ukraine-european-union-trade-russia
    ..Petro Poroshenko, Ukraine's former trade minister, gave Sergei Glazyev, adviser to President Vladimir Putin, a public dressing down in a discussion session during which the Kremlin man was faced with jeering and catcalls for demanding that Ukraine abandon the EU pact and turn to Russia. The minister said that it was the Kremlin's heavy-handed tactics and threats of a trade war that had made European integration inevitable.

"For the first time in our history more than 50% of people support European integration, and less than 30% of the people support closer ties with Russia," said Poroshenko. "Thank you very much for that Mr Glazyev."..

.."We don't want to use any kind of blackmail. This is a question for the Ukrainian people," said Glazyev. "But legally, signing this agreement about association with EU, the Ukrainian government violates the treaty on strategic partnership and friendship with Russia." When this happened, he said, Russia could no longer guarantee Ukraine's status as a state and could possibly intervene if pro-Russian regions of the country appealed directly to Moscow...

"I don't want to blackmail you, but..."
    That didn’t precipitate anything. They had already rigged the 2003 elections and when that didn’t quite work because of the courts ordering a rerun, tried to murder the opposition leader (fortunately for him the assassins concerned were almost as useless as those idiots Mishkin and Chepiga).
  • Options

The whole country is not gripped by darts fever. I know @kinabalu is a big fan but I am not and therefore I cancel out his vote. And not for the first time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

You see youre obsessed.

No doubt.
    But as you point out to Topping, we live in a democracy, so we're free to mix up what we like when deciding how to vote.
    Of course you are and you can vote LibDem if you want to go back in. But as I have pointed out once you start totting up the costs of re-entry the numbers will change drastically.

And talking of numbers I have set aside today to do a tax return. So have fun.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Recall of MPs act 2015 has worked well.

Kind of, although the real proof it was working well would be that MPs weren't being recalled (or resigning in the face of recall).

Much like a good traffic enforcement camera is one that results in a lot of fines being issued, but a great one is one that results in no fines being issued, because it ends the activity it's targeting.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Foxy said:

You see youre obsessed.

Real wages are actually growing and we have nearly full employment. The doom laden scenarios are nowhere to be seen. Manufacturing has even improved its position by overtaking France. Most of the UKs weaknesses are self inflicted and could have been sorted out in the EU, but none of the UK parties wanted to tackle them.
    Really - I know the wages of no member of my family (either immediate or second level) have increased by above inflation.

And looking at the very large dataset I have for other people - nope I don’t see it, except at the very bottom of the market where I can see another large pay rise coming in April because the agencies legally need to pay it
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The whole country is not gripped by darts fever. I know @kinabalu is a big fan but I am not and therefore I cancel out his vote. And not for the first time.
    I too am immune to the 'charms' of darts, like all true sports fans.

Liverpool with an XG of 7 the other night, or the 2019 cricket world cup final, that's sport at its utter magnificent best.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    TOPPING said:

Sounds like you have checked out but most of the country has become a madhouse, watching round the clock hoping to see some leg and lipstick before a champagne finish.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I too am immune to the 'charms' of darts, like all true sports fans.

Liverpool with an XG of 7 the other night, or the 2019 cricket world cup final, that's sport at its utter magnificent best.
    I mean yes. Take out the cricket and you have a point.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

They've hit the bullseye there, tbf.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited January 3
    TOPPING said:

I'm afraid that anyone who isn't gripped by darts fever hates Britain and our values.

If a chubby teenager lobbing arrows in front of baying crowds of boozers in such a way that puts the Dutch right back in their box, doesn't stir your blood and stiffen your patriotic sinews, then you might as well just eff off.
  • Options

They've hit the bullseye there, tbf.
    Certainly a pointed contribution.
This discussion has been closed.