Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can you handle two massive elections at the same time? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited January 8 in General
imageCan you handle two massive elections at the same time? – politicalbetting.com

In today’s Sunday Times Tim Shipman reports that

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited December 2023
    I am looking forward to 2024.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,308

As am I.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    As the gale rages by outside, there’s no Sunday Rawnsley this week as I guess he’s on break. But he did leave this commentary for a Guardian 2024 predictions round robin:

Spring or autumn is the choice facing the Tory leader. Anyone who claims to be certain what he will do is either a fool or a fibber, because he doesn’t know himself. Like any politician in his dire circumstances, he’s trying to keep his options open and his opponents guessing.

I forecast an autumn contest for two main reasons. There’s a better chance that the Bank of England will have started to cut interest rates by then. For many voters, reductions in inflation and borrowing costs will make a bigger difference to their quality of life than any tax cuts. My second reason… is the psychology of beleaguered incumbents who fear the verdict of the electorate. Leaders who aren’t confident of winning almost invariably delay the moment of reckoning in the hope that something will turn up to save them.

Meanwhile we can all nibble on a Sunday Hardman:

So even if the tax cuts they’ve been agitating for over the past year do turn up in March, Tory MPs are anxious about the budget kicking things off. “Let’s hope this starting gun doesn’t have duds like the party conference and the king’s speech,” says one junior minister

Sunak’s more recent refrain is “finish the job”: something he said repeatedly in his press conference about the Rwanda policy. Some of his aides think “finish the job” would be better in May when there is still a chance that things could get worse, than in autumn when the job looks so messy that voters might conclude it’s worth abandoning.

Half of the [Tory] party is already thinking about the leadership election after a polling day defeat, and will be campaigning more vigorously for their pitch to take over the party in that “election recovery” period than they will be for their current chief. Many will want to make pronouncements during the campaign so that they can say “I told you so” afterwards. Many of their colleagues will amplify those pronouncements.

Sunak will have to embrace a noisy, ill-disciplined campaign as there is little chance of him getting anything else. He has seen the virtues of this to some extent, concluding after his party held Uxbridge in the autumn that niche campaigns on local issues could allow the Conservatives to stem losses in other areas too. But he will probably get frustrated by the sense that while he is working relentlessly, his party won’t be beavering away in the same way.
  • Options

Provided it doesn’t turn out to be the end of the world as we know it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But right now, I feel fine.

On Topic, assuming Levido has read the Evil Overlord Rulebook, all we can conclude is that the election isn't planned to be on November 17. The more interesting question is why he wants to plant that date in the minds of Shipman's readership?

(In passing, "Shipman's readership" is surprisingly satisfying to say. I recommend it.)
  • Options
    would an election on the same day as the London mayoral election help or hinder Sunaks ability to retain seats in London?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

IanB2 said:

On Topic, assuming Levido has read the Evil Overlord Rulebook, all we can conclude is that the election isn't planned to be on November 17. The more interesting question is why he wants to plant that date in the minds of Shipman's readership?

(In passing, "Shipman's readership" is surprisingly satisfying to say. I recommend it.)
    As do I.

I’m sure our @Leon also feels fine, predicting one global catastrophe after another whilst assuming that his bank account and the walls of his Camden Town bedsit will somehow keep him safe.

Russia/Ukraine, Israel/Gaza, the US election/civil war, and the fragility of both western democracy and the financial/debt position of western economies and many of their consumers, will make this coming year an exceptionally fragile one.

I expect that global stock markets are going to lead into the coming year with good bull runs. But my advice would be to watch closely and always be thinking about the right time to sell.

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    So if Hillary Clinton had been elected president in 2008 instead of Obama, and had imposed a no-fly zone in Syria, would we now be looking at a much better contained Russia or a post-nuclear war wasteland?

I still think it's plausible Clinton would have made a much better president than Obama. Certainly western policy towards Putin's Russia has been utterly incoherent. Neither one thing nor the other.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

I’m sure our @Leon also feels fine, predicting one global catastrophe after another whilst assuming that his bank account and the walls of his Camden Town bedsit will keep him safe.

Russia/Ukraine, Israel/Gaza, the US election/civil war, and the fragility of both western democracy and the financial/debt position of western economies and many of their consumers, will make this coming year an exceptionally fragile one.

I expect that global stock markets are going to lead into the coming year with a good bull runs. But my advice would be to watch closely and always be thinking about the right time to sell.

We have had a remarkable Santa rally this year both in the US and the UK. This may be a good time to lock in some of that profit into bonds and gilts.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793

I am not. It seems to be arriving though... :(
  • Options

There is more to life than new shoes.
  • Options
    The smart choice is May. Whether Sunak makes that choice or not is still up in the air, but he should, because things aren't going to get any better for him if he waits until the Autumn.

The other thing here is that by even raising the prospect of it being May, the Tories have now created a bit of a rod for their own backs. If it doesn't happen in May now, there will be accusations of Rishi being frit. It might become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    Easter is early leaving space for a campaign in April.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    IanB2 said:

Haven’t had a new pair of shoes for a couple of years. Don’t wear them out sitting in a wheelchair!

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,655
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Haven’t had a new pair of shoes for a couple of years. Don’t wear them out sitting in a wheelchair!

Really, you just need decent slippers.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    May is the national (and PB) interest choice but I think October.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Nigelb said:

"Can you handle two massive elections at the same time?"

Samantha says dealing with several polls at the same time is well within her capacity.

In other political news, she's off to a Welsh Labour event where the senior MP's name is said to be almost impossible to pronounce. She's always found the longest standing Welsh member a bit of a mouthful.

I thought we had agreed that we weren't accepting any more jokes from James Cleverley.
    I'm sorry; I haven't a clue.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426
    IanB2 said:

I think you fail to appreciate @TSE ‘s worldview.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I think it will be a date between tomorrow and January 31st 2025. I am a superb predictor.

#KnowYourLimits
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

I’m sure our @Leon also feels fine, predicting one global catastrophe after another whilst assuming that his bank account and the walls of his Camden Town bedsit will somehow keep him safe.

I expect that global stock markets are going to lead into the coming year with good bull runs. But my advice would be to watch closely and always be thinking about the right time to sell.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CosyCatastrophe

Edit : @Leon reaction to pre flaked Parmesan being out of stock *forever*, post apocalypse would be a sight to see.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,236
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

I see you are loitering by my wheelie bins again

In a thread where I have not commented, where I am not mentioned, you can’t help mentioning me

It’s just fucking…. WEIRD. TBH
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    The Best for Britain campaign group have released a poll undertaken by focaldata. The poll was taken towards the end of November so a bit out of date but as the polls have not shifted much is probably still relevant.

https://www.bestforbritain.org/new_mega_poll_december_2023

The poll had 10,000 respondents so fairly large and they have MRP'd some of the questions.

The most amusing one was Thinking about the next General Election, who do you think would make the best Prime Minister of the UK?

In Richmond and Northallerton when analysing the results, ‘Don’t Know’ was voters’ top response with 32%; Keir Starmer came second with 27%; and Sunak third at just 24%.

So even in Sunak's own consistency they would prefer Starmer as PM.

Happy New Year Rishi!
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

In a thread where I have not commented, where I am not mentioned, you can’t help mentioning me

Discussion of predictions of the end of the world inevitably conjured up an image of you sitting in your underpants tapping furiously away at the keyboard to the computer in your bedsit. I sincerely wish that it didn’t, but there we are.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

I’m sure our @Leon also feels fine, predicting one global catastrophe after another whilst assuming that his bank account and the walls of his Camden Town bedsit will keep him safe.

I expect that global stock markets are going to lead into the coming year with a good bull runs. But my advice would be to watch closely and always be thinking about the right time to sell.

We have had a remarkable Santa rally this year both in the US and the UK. This may be a good time to lock in some of that profit into bonds and gilts.
    The NSI fixed rate offer of a couple of months ago was imo the deal of a lifetime for low risk investors. I hope all PBers lucky enough to have spare cash did some.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

take it as it comes, if it's too much ask for help.

this is truly the first year I've been looking forward to since before the pandemic. following the pandemic everything got too much for me and I fell apart mentally in 2022. I've spent this year making changes and putting myself back together again. I'm looking forward to moving on next year. Hopefully I can leave the past alone from here on out.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

I think it will be a date between tomorrow and January 31st 2025. I am a superb predictor.

#KnowYourLimits
    We can do better than that.

We've got to have a five week campaign, so even if Rishi hauls everyone back for a dissolution this week, the earliest Thursday is February 8th, I think.

And not even Rishi can be daft enough to run an election campaign over Christmas (can he?), which puts the last sensible date as December 19th.

Given that just before Christmas is what happens if he continues to bottle it, it's more likely than it should be.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

The NSI fixed rate offer of a couple of months ago was imo the deal of a lifetime for low risk investors. I hope all PBers lucky enough to have spare cash did some.
    Santander’s quickly closed online savings account was just as good.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited December 2023
    I will say one thing though about this prospect of November..

I had always assumed that if there was an autumn election, it would take place in October. Likely 17th.

November felt to me to be leaving it too late for a "scheduled" election (not like 2019). Darker nights, miserable weather, harder to persuade campaigners to get out on the trail. The start of the Christmas rush.

BUT,

Three factors why it may be a wildcard:

1) As noted above, the prospect of a few interest rate cuts having had the time to sink in;
    2) The possibility of another autumn statement (more giveaways?)
    3) The US election gamble. If you see the US dealing with disorder following the vote (and there must be a chance of that, whoever wins), do you try and run the "no time for change of government" strategy? High risk of that not working. But potentially high reward if it does.

I still think it should be May, and it will be dangerous for the Tories to delay it any further than that. But I ccan see the logic in November....
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

To be fair, he could just be checking whether or not it's bin day today.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well, its Hogmanay and with the New Year almost upon us here are my predictions for 2024.

1. There will be an election in November. The Tories and the SNP will lose. Labour will have a modest majority, greatly helped by 20+ seats in Scotland, all taken from the SNP. The loss of seats may well be the end of the road for Yousaf. By the end of the year Rishi will have stood down as an MP and be looking to go back to California.

2. The economy will do better than current forecasts, growing modestly. There will not be a technical recession but we may come close in the first half of the year.

3. By the Summer both Russia and Ukraine will be exhausted and some form of messy compromise satisfying no one will be found.

4. Biden will win the US election, more easily than he did in 2020. The Democrats will also gain the House but may struggle in the Senate. Biden will not complete his second term.

5. China will have another difficult year with huge debt overhangs in property undermining the tax base of several provinces finances. Growth will slow even further and Xi will compensate by making more bellicose noises over Taiwan but not act.

So, you all now know where not to put your bets. Good luck all!

1 - Agreed, although I suspect October. Sunak and Clegg will meet up on some SoCal beach.

2 - Agreed, although stock markets may not fare so well, looking forward to the next crisis

3 - possibly. Or we’ll be in the same position next New Year.

4 - if he’s up against Trump, for sure.

5 - the fragility of China’s economic situation is often overlooked. Sadly its possible implosion doesn’t bode well for the rest of us.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    DavidL said:

Well, its Hogmanay and with the New Year almost upon us here are my predictions for 2024.

1. There will be an election in November. The Tories and the SNP will lose. Labour will have a modest majority, greatly helped by 20+ seats in Scotland, all taken from the SNP. The loss of seats may well be the end of the road for Yousaf. By the end of the year Rishi will have stood down as an MP and be looking to go back to California.

2. The economy will do better than current forecasts, growing modestly. There will not be a technical recession but we may come close in the first half of the year.

3. By the Summer both Russia and Ukraine will be exhausted and some form of messy compromise satisfying no one will be found.

4. Biden will win the US election, more easily than he did in 2020. The Democrats will also gain the House but may struggle in the Senate. Biden will not complete his second term.

5. China will have another difficult year with huge debt overhangs in property undermining the tax base of several provinces finances. Growth will slow even further and Xi will compensate by making more bellicose noises over Taiwan but not act.

Sounds good. Hope you’re correct.
    Personally I’d add substantial LibDem gains, but there you go.
  • Options

A

DavidL said:

PB will be having a predictions thread in the next few days.

The winner of that contest will be winning a bottle of champagne.
    What size? A pint?
    The size of Leon's brain.

I am joking, it will be a large bottle, metric or imperial depending on the winner's preference.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    Any decision to go on 12th November would be fully knowing and a wholly intentional attempt to have an election thrown into the air by a black swan event. They will hope that the shitstorm does ensue rapidly and, somehow, somehow, limits their defeat.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Well, I will re-enter. Maybe try and be a bit more specific. But Hogmanay is Hogmanay. I am off to freeze my balls off.
  • Options
    The biggest thing I'm worried about at the moment is the climate and shortly after geopolitical stability.

Worries about Taiwan and also, North and South Korea.

Other than that I expect us to all be here absolutely fine on 1st January 2025.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited December 2023
    It would be a fascinating experiment if we decided to have our election on exactly the same day as the American election. (I know we choose Thursdays not Tuesdays but I think that's just a pointless convention). I've no idea what effect doing it on the same day would have, but it would be an interesting decision.

Maybe it would rob Starmer of a honeymoon if his first few days coincided with a Trump victory, and the fear and chaos that would cause? Or maybe people here would realise how relatively stable and boring our politics is, with two uncharismatic non-entities competing to manage our decline? Certainly it would make sure that the rest of the world doesn't notice what our result is.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Snipping from @IanB2's post, quoting Rawnsley:
    IanB2 said:

. . . I forecast an autumn contest for two main reasons. There’s a better chance that the Bank of England will have started to cut interest rates by then. For many voters, reductions in inflation and borrowing costs will make a bigger difference to their quality of life than any tax cuts. My second reason… is the psychology of beleaguered incumbents who fear the verdict of the electorate. Leaders who aren’t confident of winning almost invariably delay the moment of reckoning in the hope that something will turn up to save them.. . .

The salience of falling inflation in this decision leads me to ponder why we use the inflation measure we do - namely the rise in the price level over the last 12 months. That is telling us what the average inflation has been over the past year, not what it is right NOW. Is there no better measure available?
    Of course the month-on-month rate - annualised - would be current, and thus not backward looking, but it is subject to 'random' fluctuations and therefore misleading, and the annualisation would magnify them. Those random monthly fluctualtions tend to offset each other when summed up over the year. We choose the annual rate because it tells us the trend, albeit belatedly. The lag is about 6 months. Is there no better way to get the CURRENT value of the trend in price increases, i.e. inflation?
    Well yes there is. But it has to involve some kind of smoothing of the monthly data. There are several ways to do that - e.g. @Barnesian's favourite exponential smoothing for one. But my current favourite is a bit recherché: "empirical mode decomposition". Anyway here is the trend rate of UK CPI inflation (red) along with the year-on-year data we normally talk about (black). You can see that the trend troughs and peaks precede the usual measure until, strangely, the most recent downturn.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As do I.

Discussion of predictions of the end of the world inevitably conjured up an image of you sitting in your underpants tapping furiously away at the keyboard to the computer in your bedsit. I sincerely wish that it didn’t, but there we are.
    But it's not true, is it? The subject could be anything - defence spending, biscuits, oil reserves, how to tell if your pet is romantically faithful - and you'd find some way to mention me. I dominate your thoughts. You probably dream about me

GIVE IT UP, IAN

You've got a very sexy young hound that seems to love you right back. You both enjoy travel and oral sex. Concentrate on this, on the good stuff, let the rest go
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:

this is truly the first year I've been looking forward to since before the pandemic. following the pandemic everything got too much for me and I fell apart mentally in 2022. I've spent this year making changes and putting myself back together again. I'm looking forward to moving on next year. Hopefully I can leave the past alone from here on out.
    Good luck, bro!

A lot of us were scarred by Covid. I only really moved on late last year, the autumn of 2022

Many are still there. The other day, down in Cornwall for Chrimbo, I messaged a very old friend in Padstow that I haven't seen since pre-pandemic, I suggested a drink and a long overdue catch up

He answered "Sure, briliant, I know a good pub, but it will have to be outside, we are still shielding"

WTAFFFF

I did some research and found out this is true. This person has been "shielding" since 2020 and has not stopped. No one has been inside their house. We are on the cusp of 2024. Will it be like this for the rest of his life?

How many others are like that?

I never saw my friend. It rained like fuck and I am not gonna stand outside a pub in the rain talking to someone in a frigging mask
  • Options
    Fishing said:

It would be a fascinating experiment if we decided to have our election on exactly the same day as the American election. (I know we choose Thursdays not Tuesdays but I think that's just a pointless convention). I've no idea what effect doing it on the same day would have, but it would be an interesting decision.

there is a reason behind the convention. assuming there's a known new PM, it allows for the new PM to be invited to form the government on the Friday with the weekend setting up the cabinet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:

Good luck, bro!

A lot of us were scarred by Covid. I only really moved on late last year, the autumn of 2022

Many are still there. The other day, down in Cornwall for Chrimbo, I messaged a very old friend in Padstow that I haven't seen since pre-pandemic, I suggested a drink and a long overdue catch up

He answered "Sure, briliant, I know a good pub, but it will have to be outside, we are still shielding"

WTAFFFF

I did some research and found out this is true. This person has been "shielding" since 2020 and has not stopped. No one has been inside their house. We are on the cusp of 2024. Will it be like this for the rest of his life?

I never saw my friend. It rained like fuck and I am not gonna stand outside a pub in the rain talking to someone in a frigging mask
    Says someone who was mask-obsessed throughout.
  • Options
    I'm still calling the UK general election for 2 May.

Happy New Year to all on PB 👍🍺
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271
    I'll say this for Dominic Cummings - he knows how to win elections and votes. If it's true that Sunak is talking to him then Labour should be worried.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

...technical recession...

A technical recession is a recession. It's like pregnancy.

• Options

I'll say this for Dominic Cummings - he knows how to win elections and votes. If it's true that Sunak is talking to him then Labour should be worried.

No, they shouldn't

Dominic C is very smart and good at elex but Merlin the Magician in a tag team with Einstein and GPT43 could not win this election for the Tories
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

1) Election Sept/Oct. NOM, Labour led government.

2) Agree

3) Sadly the war will continue through 2024

4) Trump wins in November, after which the crystal ball clouds over, but we get closer to the early 1930s

5) Agree
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

The Best for Britain campaign group have released a poll undertaken by focaldata. The poll was taken towards the end of November so a bit out of date but as the polls have not shifted much is probably still relevant.

https://www.bestforbritain.org/new_mega_poll_december_2023

The poll had 10,000 respondents so fairly large and they have MRP'd some of the questions.

The most amusing one was Thinking about the next General Election, who do you think would make the best Prime Minister of the UK?

In Richmond and Northallerton when analysing the results, ‘Don’t Know’ was voters’ top response with 32%; Keir Starmer came second with 27%; and Sunak third at just 24%.

So even in Sunak's own consistency they would prefer Starmer as PM.

Happy New Year Rishi!

This map is impressive. It shows from the MRP of who is preferred PM. 390 for Starmer, 238 don't know, 4 for Sunak. Even if every DK goes to Sunak, Labour has a majority of 3 figures. Scotland looks good for Starmer too.

• Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

...technical recession...

A technical recession is a recession. It's like pregnancy.

I really should be driving by now but what I meant is that we will not have 2 negative quarters in a row, even if we have 2 negative quarters out of the year.
  • Options
    Two large elections, I am certain to come
  • Options
    Having governmental transition in the two main NATO contributors is a collossal security risk. There is a tradition that that is normally not done to ensure continuity in the defense community. That courts against autumn. Also, the loss of councillors in May would be a collossal impediment for the tory ge campaign. Finally polls show the electorate overwhelmingly want an early election and passing may will add collossal voter sentiment headwinds while they wait for a hypothetical game changer that won't show. Finally, more boats over summer will be a bad backdrop. My guess is a May election.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

2) Agree

4) Trump wins in November, after which the crystal ball clouds over, but we get closer to the early 1930s

5) Agree
    OK, my go

1. Election in May. Labour win a decent majority but not quite the landslide the polls imply

2. Agreed. No recession, but we will come dangerously close. Growth will remain "subdued"

3. The Ukraine war will grind to a halt in late spring as both sides realise they have run out men, energy and ideas and no summer offensive is gonna work. There may not even be a formal armistice. Just a kind of sad, frigid truce

4. Trump will win a very close election but will not be the dictator feared by some. He will exult in his victory like the braggart he is, but much else will continue. He won't withdraw from NATO, he WILL bully NATO countries into spending more on defence (and fair enough)

5. China will begin a chokehold on Taiwan, subtle at first: aiming for takeover by 2027

OK now for the blacker swans:

6. A form of LLM will be released (perhaps from an unexpected source) and for many it will cross the line and be true AI; relatedly we will see the first major swathe of jobs falling to AI

7. Migration will become an overwhelming issue in Europe, and more countries will fall to far/hard right governments: the EU elections will show this

8. England will win the euros mainly thanks to Jude Bellingham
  • Options

It's pretty great
  • Options

A

DavidL said:

What size? A pint?

I am joking, it will be a large bottle, metric or imperial depending on the winner's preference.
    An imperial bottle of Pol Roger would be very expensive. And probably undrinkable from age.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    edited December 2023
    Here are AverageNinja's predictions.

The election is in May.

Labour wins the election. I will not predict the means in which they do so but I would not be surprised to see SKS getting a larger majority than Blair. The Tories do very badly, Sunak immediately resigns.

Braverman takes over the Tory Party. They poll less than 20% for much of the year.

Labour records a 30 point lead at some point in the year.

Labour passes planning reform.

Lots of phone masts are built.

CorrectHorseBattery is re-admitted to PB.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Leon said:

spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:

Good luck, bro!

WTAFFFF

Now is not a stupid time to shield, if you are immunocompromised. Covid is definitely going through one of its waves, and while that's no big deal for those of us with healthy immune systems, and who have been jabbed and infected, it might well be for the old and the sick.
  • Options
    There have now been many weeks of continued press coverage involving the PPE Medpro story.

My husband Doug will issue a statement tomorrow morning at 9am to set the record straight.

https://twitter.com/MichelleMone/status/1741454220274946371
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:

Good luck, bro!

WTAFFFF

Now is not a stupid time to shield, if you are immunocompromised. Covid is definitely going through one of its waves, and while that's no big deal for those of us with healthy immune systems, and who have been jabbed and infected, it might well be for the old and the sick.
    Perhaps

But my point is, this person has been shielding perpetually since lockdown 1. Never stopped

What kind of life is that?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

A

DavidL said:

What size? A pint?

Didn't know they did Champagne in miniatures!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

A

DavidL said:

What size? A pint?

An imperial bottle of Pol Roger would be very expensive. And probably undrinkable from age.
    I've got a bottle of something champagne. It's perfectly imperially dimensioned, 1.652 pints. Problem over. No need for legislation.
  • Options
    I'll say this for Dominic Cummings, he was completely unnecessarily rude to the BA cabin staff.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

A

DavidL said:

What size? A pint?

Didn't know they did Champagne in miniatures!
    Must be 20cl, which is the (more or less) quarter bottle size.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

2) Agree

5) Agree
    On Ukraine - any signed deal would have to give Putin more than he has now, for him to sign it.

For him, this would include blocks on Ukraine being a member of the EU & NATO.

I think even the most “pragmatic” will balk at blocking, permanently, EU membership
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Carnyx said:

A

DavidL said:

What size? A pint?

I've got a bottle of something champagne. It's perfectly imperially dimensioned, 1.652 pints. Problem over. No need for legislation.
    We're going to have a bottle of champers over dinner, and then I'm 'doing' Dry January++. No alcohol, no crisps, no chocolate, no biccies.

I last did a dry month in November, and for the first time I hated it. As an agnostic, I take it to be my form of wearing a hair shirt...
  • Options
    Hmm

"An Joint-Statement is reportedly expected to be made in the coming hours by the United States, Britain, and an Unknown European Country, announcing that they are in Final Preparations for a Large-Scale Military Operation against the Houthi Terrorist Group in Yemen which will include the launch of Hundreds of Missiles and Airstrikes against Pre-Planned Targets in Western Yemen and the Red Sea."

https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1741490989313704183?s=20
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    geoffw said:

Snipping from @IanB2's post, quoting Rawnsley:

IanB2 said:

. . . I forecast an autumn contest for two main reasons. There’s a better chance that the Bank of England will have started to cut interest rates by then. For many voters, reductions in inflation and borrowing costs will make a bigger difference to their quality of life than any tax cuts. My second reason… is the psychology of beleaguered incumbents who fear the verdict of the electorate. Leaders who aren’t confident of winning almost invariably delay the moment of reckoning in the hope that something will turn up to save them.. . .

The salience of falling inflation in this decision leads me to ponder why we use the inflation measure we do - namely the rise in the price level over the last 12 months. That is telling us what the average inflation has been over the past year, not what it is right NOW. Is there no better measure available?
    For the question at hand -- voter sentiment on the economy -- I feel like it's more likely to be driven by one (or a mix) of:

* net disposable income
    * the difference between wage inflation and price inflation (which is similar to the above but ignores interest rate effects on housing costs)
    * whether voters look at prices in supermarkets etc and think "blimey, I remember when it used to be under a quid for that"

For all of those, inflation-right-now is an input but only one input. For the third item, inflation over 12 or 24 months might actually be a better guide to voter sentiment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

2) Agree

5) Agree
    OK, my go

1. Election in May. Labour win a decent majority but not quite the landslide the polls imply

2. Agreed. No recession, but we will come dangerously close. Growth will remain "subdued"

3. The Ukraine war will grind to a halt in late spring as both sides realise they have run out men, energy and ideas and no summer offensive is gonna work. There may not even be a formal armistice. Just a kind of sad, frigid truce

4. Trump will win a very close election but will not be the dictator feared by some. He will exult in his victory like the braggart he is, but much else will continue. He won't withdraw from NATO, he WILL bully NATO countries into spending more on defence (and fair enough)

5. China will begin a chokehold on Taiwan, subtle at first: aiming for takeover by 2027

6. A form of LLM will be released (perhaps from an unexpected source) and for many it will cross the line and be true AI; relatedly we will see the first major swathe of jobs falling to AI

7. Migration will become an overwhelming issue in Europe, and more countries will fall to far/hard right governments: the EU elections will show this

1. Summer election (June/July) after poor locals
    2. inflation continues to fall and moderate but sluggish growth
    3. War continues through the year
    4. Biden is forced to pull out due to ill health and his replacement loses to Trump
    5. China's economy begins to tank
    6. England fail to get out of the group stages at the euros
  • Options
    January - In shock 9-0 decision, SC bars Trump from all future elections.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'll say this for Dominic Cummings, he was completely unnecessarily rude to the BA cabin staff.

I hope they spat in his coffee.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

would an election on the same day as the London mayoral election help or hinder Sunaks ability to retain seats in London?

In London, where people who only turn out for GEs (and referendums) are likely to be Remainers, the answer is hinder.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

2) Agree

5) Agree
    OK, my go

1. Summer election (June/July) after poor locals
    2. inflation continues to fall and moderate but sluggish growth
    3. War continues through the year
    4. Biden is forced to pull out due to ill health and his replacement loses to Trump
    5. China's economy begins to tank
    6. England fail to get out of the group stages at the euros
    UGH, no!

England will arguably have the best team in the world, with the best player in the world, when these euros come around. If we cannot win it now, we never will
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hmm

"An Joint-Statement is reportedly expected to be made in the coming hours by the United States, Britain, and an Unknown European Country, announcing that they are in Final Preparations for a Large-Scale Military Operation against the Houthi Terrorist Group in Yemen which will include the launch of Hundreds of Missiles and Airstrikes against Pre-Planned Targets in Western Yemen and the Red Sea."

Brace?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Given TSE's well known interest in pornography, am I to assume there was an intentional play on words with the heading?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Leon said:

Hmm

Brace?
    No, not quite an Official

BRACE

This TwiX account is known for hyperbole and melodrama, and you know how allergic I am to such things

Mind you, the Houthis should be taken out. They threaten a global recession. Zap them
  • Options
    God I have to pack. I hate packing
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097

Having governmental transition in the two main NATO contributors is a collossal security risk. There is a tradition that that is normally not done to ensure continuity in the defense community. That courts against autumn. Also, the loss of councillors in May would be a collossal impediment for the tory ge campaign. Finally polls show the electorate overwhelmingly want an early election and passing may will add collossal voter sentiment headwinds while they wait for a hypothetical game changer that won't show. Finally, more boats over summer will be a bad backdrop. My guess is a May election.

Trump is obviously a massive risk. Starmer and Sunak both seem solid on Ukraine. Germany also seems to have come to their senses on Russia. I saw a map the other day that showed 80%+ in every European nation thought Russia winning would be a major threat. If Trump comes in, Europe easily has the ability to fund Ukraine and the public support to do it. Governments just need to be less skittish.
  • Options

Given TSE's well known interest in pornography, am I to assume there was an intentional play on words with the heading?

Two massive elections sounds like it involves too much "hard" work.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    If there are two elections at similar times it's probably good for Labour and bad for the Tories. Firstly, it will squeeze some of the attention away from the campaign - which doesn't favour the party behind in the polls. Whatever Sunak and Starmer have said could in theory be third item on the news if there's a big conventional news story and Trump has said or done something mad.

Secondly, Trump is so unpopular in the UK that you can expect Labour to highlight the pro-Trumpers in the most crackers parts of the Tory party, and it's a lot easier for Labour to distance itself from Trump's wilder statements if asked to comment, for both diplomatic and party management reasons.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Leon said:

Hmm

Wow. I still wonder if the only answer is to go right to the top though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:

Good luck, bro!

WTAFFFF

Perhaps

But my point is, this person has been shielding perpetually since lockdown 1. Never stopped

People stop doing fun things for all kinds of reasons.
  • Options

There have now been many weeks of continued press coverage involving the PPE Medpro story.

My husband Doug will issue a statement tomorrow morning at 9am to set the record straight.

A public confession, then ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

spudgfsh said:

viewcode said:

Good luck, bro!

WTAFFFF

Perhaps

People stop doing fun things for all kinds of reasons.
    An outstanding insight. I shall now leave the site and do my packing. So, thanks
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542

That'll be Doug Barrowloadsofmoney spouting untruths, I reckon.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Pretty sure Weak Woke de Growth was president of South Africa in the 80s

https://x.com/neilgibbons/status/1741490798753906826?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options

I think you forget my love of innuendos and puns.

My nickname at university was Finbarr after Finbarr Saunders.
  • Options
    I am doing a semi-dry January. I shall not drink for the first 11 days. But then I'm going skiing with friends, and that will definitely not be dry.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well she compared herself to Pablo Escobar last week so this statement could go anywhere.

Whoever is running her PR is really shit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michelle-mone-covid-ppe-scandal-escobar-b2469292.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

God I have to pack. I hate packing

I'm sure all of us would wish to support and encourage you to get packing forthwith.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I am doing a semi-dry January. I shall not drink for the first 11 days. But then I'm going skiing with friends, and that will definitely not be dry.

I am partaking in dry January.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    MJW said:

If there are two elections at similar times it's probably good for Labour and bad for the Tories. Firstly, it will squeeze some of the attention away from the campaign - which doesn't favour the party behind in the polls. Whatever Sunak and Starmer have said could in theory be third item on the news if there's a big conventional news story and Trump has said or done something mad.

Secondly, Trump is so unpopular in the UK that you can expect Labour to highlight the pro-Trumpers in the most crackers parts of the Tory party, and it's a lot easier for Labour to distance itself from Trump's wilder statements if asked to comment, for both diplomatic and party management reasons.

IMHO this supports my thought that September is a possible window, which may also catch a summer upbeat mood from Euros and Olympics, while being a bit away from Trump's victory in November.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542
    algarkirk said:

MJW said:

IMHO this supports my thought that September is a possible window, which may also catch a summer upbeat mood from Euros and Olympics, while being a bit away from Trump's victory in November.
    History rather suggests that taking a potential England victory in the Euros into account in determining the election date would be unwise.
    Go for it, Rishi.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Well she compared herself to Pablo Escobar last week so this statement could go anywhere.

Whoever is running her PR is really shit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michelle-mone-covid-ppe-scandal-escobar-b2469292.html
    So she’s importing hippos as well?!
This discussion has been closed.